PDA

View Full Version : Valour Single Seater

RogerH
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
One of the very few period New Zealand built Formula Juniors was the Valour driven by Jim Boyd.

Eventually the car was parted with components being used in the Edbry Ford and the Maral Sports. Currently some parts have been gathered together with the intent of reconstructing the original car. Any information or parts would be appreciated.

The photo below from early 1964 at an unknown venue shows the Valour with the Lola Mk2 (Morrie Smith?) #26.

Russ Noble
03-07-2013, 07:10 PM
The Edbry Ford was merely the rebodied Valour which was done by John EDwards and Larry BRYant. Somewhere along the line the original wheels were replaced with wider ones. I bought it from them and raced it until I replaced it with the Graeme Baker/ Allan Rhodes BT21a. My third meeting at Teretonga I rolled it (Long story for another time) and consequently re-rebodied it again. I sold it to Mark Lamberton who later built a two seater chassis and body to convert it to the SCANZ 2 litre Maral Sports. I did the same thing with my BT21a. I have some photos somewhere I think of all the rebodied versions.

jamie
03-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Hay there HIGH POCKETS so thats were it went had A little ride in it when Jim Boyd was on the seen Jamie A

RogerH
03-08-2013, 02:03 AM
Is this the Edbry Ford?

Russ Noble
03-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Sure is Roger. That's how it was when I bought it. As you can see, flat alloy panels riveted to a simple, lightish steel tube frame welded to the original Valour chassis. The mirror and the quite strong side panel did my head and face no good at all when it was wedged between that and the track. Result six weeks in hospital for facial injuries. No major damage to the car! Those rear wheels were 10" steel with gussets and weighed a ton! Quite a quick car, was never beaten by another pushrod Ford whilst I had it, except when I had the odd DNF.

David McKinney
03-08-2013, 12:02 PM
...flat alloy panels riveted to a simple, lightish steel tube frame welded to the original Valour chassis.
So reports that Edwards and Bryant built a new chassis are wrong?
(Can't remember where I read that)

Russ Noble
03-08-2013, 12:12 PM
So reports that Edwards and Bryant built a new chassis are wrong?

I'm pretty sure, but its over 40 yrs ago...... I ran into John Edwards for the first time in ages last month. I can always look him up and see if he can confirm that.