PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Whangarei

Gimmeabeer
03-16-2013, 04:43 AM
I have just joined this site. Very impressed the way some of you can remember the older race cars.
I recently purchased Terrapin Chassis number 71 from Southland and in the process of trying to bring it home.
I raced stock cars in the sixties at Kaiapoi and Woodford Glen, then pulled back to being an observer at places like Wigram and Ruapuna. About ten years ago I bought a 67 Camaro racecar. I quickly realised this was a hole in the ground which had an amazing capability of devouring money, which I couldn't afford. Only raced it once (at Taupo).
So now, at 64, I have decided hillclimbs etc are more in line with my capabilities. Having planned to build a Terrapin, obtaining the plans etc, I was pleased to find one which the owner was happy to let go. Looking forward to it.

Steve Holmes
03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Welcome to The Roaring Season! Its great to have you here. Sounds like you've done plenty of racing miles. I'd love to see pics from your old stock car days. Do you have any you could post here? Re your 67 Camaro, was this the yellow car Dave Sturrock now owns? Pics of your Terrapin would also be good to see.

Gimmeabeer
06-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Thanks Steve. Yes the car is the same one Dave Sturrock now has. Looking good too.Unfortunately my scanner has thrown a rod, so can't scan old pics. First stockie was a 39 DeSoto which I was given. As undoing nuts and bolts was too time consuming, we took the guards etc off with an axe, welded on some bars and went racing at the old Kaiapoi track (pre Woodford Glen). This car lasted two or three seasons until I ran out of motors. Next was a '39 V8 with a Mk 1 Consul body which I ditched for a Viva body. This car lasted one meeting when I put it over the boundary wall (actually a big dirt bank) at Ashburton. Then came the first ACA car in the South Island. I bought it from WaiWhetu Wreckers in Wellington. Ran it a couple of years until the big dollar boys turned up. I pulled the pin then. Young family, mortgage, you know. Used to tow it with a '39 Chev Tudor. I was the first person to slam the wall at the brand new Woodford Glen. Errol Inwood was not happy.
64 years old and deciding to do it again. My family thinks I've lost the plot. Anyway I hope the pic of the Terrapin and Camaro appear.
I also have a couple of photos which I bought at the Puke Swap a few years ago. They are of ;- 67 Camaro, #92 at Puke, approx 64 Failane two door #50 being chased by a Mustang, can't pic the track, '64? Mustang # 51 beside a Volvo, track unknown and one with a '66? Mustang #104? being chased by another Mustang, a Failane and yet another Mustang. The last one could be the Paul Fahey car, later owned by John Riley. If someone has REAL interest in them, the are welcome. When I get the scanner sorted I will take them out of the frames and put them up. I also have a video (home), which I took at the last meeting at Baypark. It is of the final truck race when the driver simply had a ball. This is amongst a lot of video I have of 80's meetings. One day, when I get time I will list the meetings.
Thanks, Geoff 1895318954

Gimmeabeer
06-24-2013, 05:34 AM
Terrapin pic refuses to up load, maybe later

Gimmeabeer
06-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Scanned pics but won't upload. Too high in resolution, so changed. Now too big in kb's. Don't know how to change. Sorry

Oldfart
06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
For those who have not seen this it is a very nice car. Welcome and you did promise to let me know when you were going to run it :)

markson
06-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Gimmeabeer

If you are running Microsoft Outlook,email picture to yourself
then save attachment to desk top and then post on RS
Outlook will auto resize picture. Markson

Gimmeabeer
07-02-2013, 12:28 AM
Thanks Rhys. Had plans to run NCC Gymkhana on Sunday, but family illness intervened. One day!

Gimmeabeer
07-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks Markson. I opened an Outlook email address and sent to myself at this new address as well as my old address by size remained the same. One of the pictures is only 150mb but this one won't load. Just comes up error. Others range from 340mb to 1226mb so exceed the limit. My computer wizz son should be here this weekend. He may work out a way. Geoff

Gimmeabeer
07-02-2013, 01:08 AM

Gimmeabeer
07-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Got there in the end. Used a photo software program. This is the only pic of the stock car I have. That's Steve Tilby in the white. Thanks, Geoff

Rod Grimwood
08-03-2013, 12:11 AM
Got there in the end. Used a photo software program. This is the only pic of the stock car I have. That's Steve Tilby in the white. Thanks, Geoff

I live in Paihia but am in Whangarei a lot. Would like to catch up and look at car and also sort photos with you if you would like.
my email grimmie642xtra.co.nz or 09 402 6832 home.
Cheers