PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Mercedes-Benz W196 Up For Auction

Steve Holmes
03-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Does anyone know what the story is with this W196? Story below from Yahoo says it was abandoned, but I thought M-B kept all their old race cars? Bonhams are auctioning it off at Goodwood: http://www.bonhams.com/press_release/13161/

Here is the story:

A car found rusting and abandoned in a warehouse has turned out to be an iconic 1950s Formula One car worth over £5 million.

The 1954 Mercedes-Benz W196 was driven to victory by the legendary Juan Manuel Fangio in the 1954 Formula One World Championship, and has been described by auction house Bonhams as "the most important grand prix racing car" of all time.

Yet incredibly, the car - which is expected to fetch over £5m when it goes under the hammer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in July - lay in a warehouse and "largely forgotten about" for 30 years before being discovered, according to Bonhams boss Robert Brooks.

The W196 brought in many new features which helped propel Argentina superstar Fangio to the second of his five F1 titles - including fuel injection, independent suspension, a super-lightweight bodyshell and revolutionary inboard-mounted brakes.

"The first time I saw this car I needed oxygen. It's landmark technology and it was driven by a landmark driver," said racing historian Doug Nye, who said that the car's relatively poor condition was actually a plus point.

"Some people think it looks grotty - that's not the point - the really rare cars today are the unrestored ones," he added.

"Every car that's restored has lost a part of its history because it's been obliterated by repainting or by rebuilding. Nothing's been obliterated on this, it's just a beautiful survivor."

Fangio ordered the car from Mercedes ahead of the 1954 German Grand Prix at the 14-mile Nurburgring circuit, half-way through the season. He won the race in what was his first outing behind the wheel, then won the next two races and came third in the season finale to complete his best-ever season.

The location of the discovery is being kept secret, but the hope is that whoever buys the car will not keep it under wraps for another 30 years: the car apparently ran well before it was mothballed, and the auctioneers hope to sell to an enthusiast who will get the car up and running in time to celebrate the 60th anniversary of its heyday next year.

crunch
03-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Better go and empty the boy's money boxes and get another mortgage on the house...would look good in the shed!;)

Oldfart
03-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Crunch you must have some house if a mortgage would buy this!

David McKinney
03-19-2013, 11:31 PM
One has been in private hands since being sold out of the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu (UK) in the 1970s or '80s. It was actually raced at the GP Monaco Historique in, IIRC, 2000.

But in storage for 30 years - no

Steve Holmes
03-20-2013, 03:48 AM
Thanks David. Do you know when it was originally sold by M-B? I thought they kept all their old race cars.

Powder
03-20-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks David. Do you know when it was originally sold by M-B? I thought they kept all their old race cars.

The story that I've read elsewhere is that the car was loaned by M-B to the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, who some time later claimed ownership (There's a similar story to the McLaren Trust's M8A CanAm car I believe). I assume that the dispute has been settled for the sale to be occuring now.

It seems as though the car has a well known history among those 'in the know' but the auctioneers have decided to 'romanticise' the story to get some publicity. I guess they assume that anyone willing to part with the necessary money would have done their homework.

David McKinney
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
That's more or less my understanding, powder. I do remember there was a stink when it was sold out of Beaulieu, but that must have been settled long ago

crunch
03-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Crunch you must have some house if a mortgage would buy this!

Nah,...kids have big money boxes!