PDA

View Full Version : Roycroft Trophy 2013

Oldfart
03-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Here I go, putting my head in a Lions mouth again!
Yes it's on this coming weekend at HD on Saturday and Sunday.
The "feature car" this year is the Stutz out of Southwards. How often will you get the chance to see this on a grid?
Other notables entered; The Lycoming, Stanton Cropduster, RA GeeCeeEss, Northland Special, we could almost have a grid of cars which actually raced against each other in the time!
Of course the usual cars are there, sadly a couple will not be, the Darracq will be at Highlands, and Rob McNair does not want to do a brake rebuild on the Riley Moth again.
At last count over 55 cars were entered with a number still "in the mail", on top of that the Classic motorcycle register, Formula Juniors, Swap meet, and the other sthings that go to make up the "Celebration"

RogerH
03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
The A40 Special will be there on the Sunday after surviving Leadfoot. The fuel tank needs to be enlarged as it only has enough capacity for hillclimbs and wouldn't have made six laps of Hampton Downs!

Steve Holmes
03-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Wow, thats a great line-up Rhys! Will the Stutz be racing, or there for demonstrations? What a great achievement to have it there.

My company Monster Race Wear (http://www.monsterracewear.co.nz/) supplies the apparel to Southward Car Museum. The Stutz shirts we created for them have been very popular.

ERC
03-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I'll be there - for a while, hopefully. The 'new' commentator may be grateful for any extra info, as sadly, I am still awaiting my spinal op, so had to opt out this time. He assisted at the Legend's meeting last weekend but is a bit worried that he doesn't really know many of the cars at all.

Hopefully geebeeNZ will be able to help out too, but I know that he is hobbling at the moment.

A great event and well worth the visit. I'll try and catch up Rhys! Hopeully, this time, I might be able to take some pics. Pity the McNair Riley isn't racing, but I hope the car will be there as this is now one of my all time favourite cars.

Nice shirts Steve!

crunch
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
A great event. I need to make the time to see it in person as looking at photos does not fully make you aware of the history. My dad always said the best history is the stuff you can touch.
Need to be there next year as sadly; two weekends in a row at HD from Palmerston North would not do my brownie-point collection much good at all!

ERC
03-27-2013, 12:50 AM
It is quite a hectic meeting for the drivers as there are normally only 4 race groups and that means that turnaround time is quite quick. FJ, 2 x VCC and a two wheeler group. Not much more than half an hour after a race finish before thinking about heading for the dummy grid again!

The last couple haven't had any old (pre 1960) saloons, which is a real shame. Just one or two extra period race groups would add a lot to this event, especially for spectators, as the entry is overall quite low for a two day meeting. Maybe an opportunity for a Vintage or pre 1960, "Classic Trial"?

The side displays are interesting though and many an interesting car is to be found in the public parking areas.

AMCO72
03-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Right then ERC, expand it out to pre 1965 and I will turn up in the MG1300. Hope to drive round in it during the lunchtime parade. Last year took some old codger from a rest home for a blast......I think he had to pop a couple of heart pills on the way. Certainly was a bit shakey when the nurse helped him from the car at the finish. Didn't think my driving was that bad!!!!!!!!

Folks, don't miss this......it is awesome.....

Oldfart
03-27-2013, 02:19 AM
The last couple haven't had any old (pre 1960) saloons, which is a real shame. Just one or two extra period race groups would add a lot to this event, especially for spectators, as the entry is overall quite low for a two day meeting. Maybe an opportunity for a Vintage or pre 1960, "Classic Trial"?

I tried! Some cars underway. Gerald, the 1960 date is entrenched in the Motorsport/VCC agreement, and no sign of any change to that. Also as stated many times, HD specified the pre 1960 as well, also they did not want the Historic FF dodgem cars for this meet.

ERC
03-27-2013, 02:46 AM
That is a bit unfair on the FFs!! Only one driver is a known problem (to me anyway)...

As I will still only have one working hand, I'll not be able to trailer the Magneight down, (to the relief of some no doubt!) so will just wheel the Marcos out, even though it is 1970, just to add a bit of variety to the display area!

Agree though Gerald, I think we'd stand a fair chance of a pre 1965 grid if it were allowed. Maybe the 1960 cut off needs renegotiating to a rolling date?

AMCO72
03-27-2013, 03:23 AM
What, like the 40 year old PV date in the VCC? You see, what people forget is that pre1960 saloons are pretty dismal affairs, and I'm sure that is why there was little interest shown when the class was suggested. There are for sure SOME good machines in there, but quite frankly to get any of them up to reasonable 'racing' condition is going to take a lot of work......for what...one meeting a year.
I cant imagine 'racing', because that is what we are talking about here, a 1953 Vauxhall Wyvern, or a 1955 Hillman Californian, or even a Standard Vanguard. Things like the A35, Citroen L15, Peugeot, and a few others are worth considering, but mostly they will be pretty slow, boring to drive, and boring to watch.

There is a danger of course if the class was opened to pre1965, that there MIGHT be an invasion of Minis and Anglias and the like, and I'm not sure whether the VCC want this sort of 'modern stuff ' at their event. Would certainly look out of place at the Roycroft.

Kiwiboss
03-27-2013, 03:49 AM
There is a danger of course if the class was opened to pre1965, that there MIGHT be an invasion of Minis and Anglias and the like, and I'm not sure whether the VCC want this sort of 'modern stuff ' at their event. Would certainly look out of place at the Roycroft.

64.5 Mustang coupe, yeap i'd be in Gerald LOL.

Dale M

ERC
03-27-2013, 04:11 AM
Maybe one of the two days could be, how shall we put it, more relaxed in terms of the cut off date? A dual permit event is surely possible?

I think there needs to be a platform for the purer classic cars as I can't see there being hordes of additional Vintage cars joining the fray and the last thing we want is the Roycroft to stagnate rather than grow? Just a thought. Remember the trade stands people won't continue to support it, unless there are enough people through the gate to make their attendance viable.

Hampton Downs, situated as it is, is not like Ellerslie or Western Springs where there is a massive local support, so paying spectators need to be attracted to it.

AMCO72
03-27-2013, 04:36 AM
Dale, I didn't think you would have the cheek to suggest such a thing, although the thought had crossed my mind!!!!!!!
And this is the problem. You extend the date 5 years, and there is a big selection of potential stuff out there. Perhaps that is why the VCC wisely stops at 1960, otherwise the entry might say no 'mussel' cars..........something a bit fishy here!!!! LOL..........

Carlo
03-27-2013, 08:30 AM
The Mini & 105E both went into production in 1959

Oldfart
03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
The Mini & 105E both went into production in 1959

And how many of those versions, ie 59 are still here in NZ? It is the ACTUAL vehicle that counts, not the first production year.

GeebeeNZ
03-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Carlo. As stated above the agreement between VCC and MSNZ is that VCC has a 1960 cutoff for circuit events. While continuation cars like the Daimler SP250 only went a couple of years past 1960 and were virtually the same car the last Mini came of the assembly line according to Wikepedia in October 2000. Hardly the sort of vehicle one would consider as VCC material. I am very interested in the Special Event permit issued by MSNZ for the Leadfoot event which allowed a number of concessions even VCC permits dont allow.

crunch
03-28-2013, 02:01 AM
Carlo. As stated above the agreement between VCC and MSNZ is that VCC has a 1960 cutoff for circuit events. While continuation cars like the Daimler SP250 only went a couple of years past 1960 and were virtually the same car the last Mini came of the assembly line according to Wikepedia in October 2000. Hardly the sort of vehicle one would consider as VCC material. I am very interested in the Special Event permit issued by MSNZ for the Leadfoot event which allowed a number of concessions even VCC permits dont allow.

For a start GeeBeeNZ, all competitors had a MSNZ issued licence of some description. That in itself is different to VCC events.

ERC
03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Before I left the UK, one of the most popular classes was the pre 1957 saloons. Runners included Mk 1 & Mk 7 Jags, Austin A35, Morris Minor, P4 (Auntie) Rover, Standard Ensign, MG Magnette, Ford Zephyr etc.

They might not have been fast, but the speed differential wasn't that high either, with A35's two wheeling around corners closing on the Jags.

What really stops that class or a pre 1960 saloons class here, is that nowadays, far too many cars have either been scrapped or turned into concours trailer Queens and for many years, there has not been any racing continuity in NZ for them - certainly not since I arrived in 1983. I think the only pre 1960 car we have ever had on our books is John Ure's Mk 7 Jag - and that is carrying a 4.2 engine and smaller wheels...

Classic saloons as such have just been whittled away over time, but to create a resurgence now of fairly original or mildly modified pre 1960's, I would suggest, is nigh on impossible. Somehow or other, we have let a whole class or era slip away and that is very sad.

No doubt all those Austin Westminsters, old Rovers, Standards, Zephyrs etc., that got trashed in banger racing were way past their prime and distinctly rotten, and uneconomic to repair to a Wof standard anyway, but I am sure that many could have been turned into race cars.

John McKechnie
03-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Jim Chrystals car was an an example of what could be done. However, I remember it was extremely modified.
The interesting thing Ray, is you mention only English cars, there lots of Skodas, Simcas, VWs, Fiats ,Alfa.
They are frisky cars, and dont usually suffer the English body rot.
I am not suggesting here the Custaxie tribute , John Millers Renault tribute ,or the Coppins MK2 tribute ,by the way although by year could they get in?

ERC
03-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Jim's car was indeed modified, (1900cc, alloy cross flow head etc.). Sorry, I missed him off my list, as he raced with us for my first season only. He stomped off having finished equal first, muttering that with the new two handicaps points format from then on, "It was nothing but a lottery..." Correct - the choccy fish mentality!

Fair point about the non Brit cars, but I was relating to what was running in the UK at the time. The UK pre '57 was tightly controlled so cars were minimally modified. Original steel wheels, carb size no more than about 1/8" larger than standard, pretty well full trim etc.

The fact that all those Euro cars could be added to the list, but non are racing in NZ now, just, proves the point, as they certainly used to. Racing doesn't have to be fast to be entertaining, as long as it is fairly close and there is variety.

Doubt I will now get down to Roycroft on Saturday, as my dear wife isn't too good after a wisdom tooth extraction yesterday.

AMCO72
03-29-2013, 04:04 AM
I don't think Jim's Wolseley is quite the sort of machine that organisers are thinking about when discussing pre 60 saloons. Jim was out there to WIN.....nothing else, although the car LOOKED quite standard from a few paces, and he was a fearsome competitor......I was up against him a few times in the late 80's.

So Jims' is an example of a pre 60 saloon looking ok, but under the skin.....no sir, and I'm not sure how you would control this sort of thing. If it looks ok....no mags etc then what is the problem, because I assure you there are 'other Jims' out there.
The car that I would like to turn into a pre 60 saloon racer is the Austin A95/105. Shove a Healy 100 6 engine in, put some decent shocks on and stand aside buddy, Im coming through.

But you are right ERC.......where are all those old saloons now. A few, very few have ended up in the VCC, but not that many really when you consider how many used to be running around on our roads. Some got their browns at 'butchers picnic' meetings at the local speedway, but most just ended their days resting in piece under a tree, or resting in pieces in a junk yard, and have probably come back to NZ as baked bean cans......

John, when you describe those funny foreign jobs as 'frisky', do you mean their handing, or lack of it, or their performance, or lack of it!!!

Kiwiboss
03-29-2013, 04:19 AM
What really stops that class or a pre 1960 saloons class here, is that nowadays, far too many cars have either been scrapped or turned into concours trailer Queens and for many years, there has not been any racing continuity in NZ for them - certainly not since I arrived in 1983. I think the only pre 1960 car we have ever had on our books is John Ure's Mk 7 Jag - and that is carrying a 4.2 engine and smaller wheels...

Classic saloons as such have just been whittled away over time, but to create a resurgence now of fairly original or mildly modified pre 1960's, I would suggest, is nigh on impossible. Somehow or other, we have let a whole class or era slip away and that is very sad

So true Ray, the old engish cars just arn't around like they use to be, even myself i grew up with Zephrs, A35's, anglias, 100E's etc and these were cheap and the hot ticket in the late 70's when i was a teenager doing my mechanics apprenticeship, but today you just don't see them let alone make a classic race car out of one!! which is a shame because they were so many on the scene in early NZ motor racing.

This is why HMC still has some time left and we looked pretty hard at those facts!! the cars are still avaliable in America in large numbers(slowly dissappearing) because they made so many and most from the south western states still in mint rot free condition, they have a huge aftermarket parts industry and most parts are interchangeable amongst models, its not that im stating this is were everyone should go as i too still luv the british cars but the substainablity for US made 60's and 70's vehicles is quite easy and cheap and looking to the future can be substained as a historic racing class for sometime yet.

Thats why when Gerald stated moving VCC out to 1965 for Saloons my first thought was a 64.5 Mustang, easy and affordable but would probably have a devastating effect on the group. They have it right by leaving it 1960 but probably have a vanishing group on there hands, shame really

Interesting times ahead for classic and historic racing

Dale M

fullnoise68
03-29-2013, 04:53 AM
A 64.5 Mustang Dale. One of those wouldn`t be too hard to find!

RogerH
03-29-2013, 05:13 AM
Pre 1960s saloons at Goodwood 2012 (they are far from "standard" or period modifications).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEIDnb5XYEc

John McKechnie
03-29-2013, 05:20 AM
Gerald- You know the Euros -French, Italians- always think they are lively and that the Brits are stodgey like porridge. Ever driven a Singer SM ?
Also Dale makes a good point - Australian cars from 50s, 60, 70s have rust problems-look at my XA coupe and Monaro. I had a Wolseley 15/50 it needed huge rust work to anything with it. No panels available.
American cars that are being used are real no brainers- you can buy the new panels.Quick turn around and on the track.
Most Brit cars are a long term resto, I should know, I had a MK1 Jaguar.
It could take many years to actually assemble suitable cars with the body work involved. After all , good cars get restored .Not flash ones get turned into race cars, as they are too expensive to restore.

AMCO72
03-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Ah, the Singer SM1500........when they first arrived in NZ in the early 50's my Dad, bless him, had his surgery in ChCh next door to Tench Bros, who were the Singer agents. So of course he had to have a test drive. I think at that stage we owned an A40 which was purchased just around the corner from Tench Bros at Croziers. Now you could hardly call the A40 an exciting machine, but the Singer was even less so, although it did have a rather interesting OHC engine......a development of my old 1928 Singer Junior. [see Y & Y]

Sadly, or perhaps not, I didn't get to drive one, but many years later a friend in Cambridge, Michael Swayne had one, and I went for occasional rides in this beast. We both belonged to the Cambridge Repertory Society, and he used to pull a trailer behind the Singer when we were picking up sets for plays. My abiding memory is of being gassed in the cabin by exhaust fumes. Michael was not a wealthy man, and he had 'repaired' the exhaust system with a length of vacuum cleaner hose which was not terribly gas tight to say the least, and had burnt the outer fabric coating off leaving the springy tube to do the work!!!!!

Kiwiboss
03-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Pre 1960s saloons at Goodwood 2012 (they are far from "standard" or period modifications).

Why do you say that RogerH? im sure hidden behind the scene "modern thinking" has made them quicker but they appear to be "Standard" and/or "Period correct Modifications" such as skinny wheels, complete correct body work with bumpers, headlights, non flares, full interior(EG: inside shoot of Jag) etc, but this is only visual to me so i can only arsume they are correct under the bonnet, gearbox, diff, brakes, etc? correct me if im wrong!! but really that is a fantastic race and would truly luv to see this in NZ at a pre 60 VCC event.

Dale M

AMCO72
03-29-2013, 06:26 AM
'Standard'....yeh right.......notice all the body roll!!!!!!!!! NO........... Listen to those A40 engines......not quite standard in there either. I would say these machines have been heavily modified. OK they are still on narrowish tyres, but everything else has had a tuners touch. So, they still have full trim......that's to fool the scrutineer!!!!!LoL

But hey, good, and fast racing......the poor old STANDARD Auntie Rover stuggling along at the back. Don't worry he will be back next year suitably hotted up!!!!

RogerH
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
These cars at Goodwood in the St Mary's Trophy race may look standard but they are very highly modified in mechanical aspects - for example the A40 Farinas and A35s have 1380cc (or more) trick engines - in period (pre 1960) they only had 948cc. I think the philosophy is to have them looking like standard cars but performing like they are on steroids. As a result these cars are very expensive to build.

John McKechnie
03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
'Standard'....yeh right.......notice all the body roll!!!!!!!!! NO........... Listen to those A40 engines......not quite standard in there either. I would say these machines have been heavily modified. OK they are still on narrowish tyres, but everything else has had a tuners touch. So, they still have full trim......that's to fool the scrutineer!!!!!LoL

But hey, good, and fast racing......the poor old STANDARD Auntie Rover stuggling along at the back. Don't worry he will be back next year suitably hotted up!!!!

Was that Hammond from Top Gear?

ERC
03-29-2013, 08:13 AM
So Jims' is an example of a pre 60 saloon looking ok, but under the skin.....no sir, and I'm not sure how you would control this sort of thing. If it looks ok....no mags etc then what is the problem, because I assure you there are 'other Jims' out there.
The car that I would like to turn into a pre 60 saloon racer is the Austin A95/105. Shove a Healy 100 6 engine in, put some decent shocks on and stand aside buddy, Im coming through.
Andy Culpin was ahead of you there AMCO, but I think he has changed tack and now wants to do a Sebring MGC instead...

We used to have problems with Jim's car, as the MSNZ manual was contradictory. On one page, it stated that original block and head materials had to be used and on the next, that period mods were allowed. With an alloy crossflow head as a period mod, it was tricky.

Jim's "must win" attitude was why we changed the BMC/BL Series to an invitation only one and two handicaps. Sorry to say, but the finger pointing and "illegal" engines were common even then, and much as people would like absolute authenticity, enforcing it is all against the spirit anyway, so choccy fish racing (may change the name of our Series...) is better to be self policed by the drivers and if one 1957 Wolseley 1500 goes like stink and a Riley 1.5 in standard trim is heaps is slower, so be it. It is all a bit like cheating at golf, a bit pointless really unless you are up front about it.

I'd be rapt to see a pre 1960's saloon's grid out there at Roycroft even if the cars weren't 100% kosher, as at least the spectators would know what these older saloons looked like, even if not fully au fait with the finer points. We don't want V8 Magnettes, V8 Zephyrs, Morrari recreations out there, but twin carb A35s and Morris Minors or even triple carb Zephyrs and Westminsters I have no problem with at all.

Kiwiboss
03-29-2013, 08:55 AM
These cars at Goodwood in the St Mary's Trophy race may look standard but they are very highly modified in mechanical aspects - for example the A40 Farinas and A35s have 1380cc (or more) trick engines - in period (pre 1960) they only had 948cc. I think the philosophy is to have them looking like standard cars but performing like they are on steroids. As a result these cars are very expensive to build.

True RogerH but in today's world we all have the knowledge(modern thinking) to make older cars faster but hide it, once only the factory had this knowledge!! Engine piston, ring, bearing and cylinder head air flow technology has allowed anyone of us to take these old girls and make them perform like never before(as in this case, on "Steroids"), but as long as they are within the historic rules or set out schedule this group races under(today) i don't see a problem. Even just suspension and shock absorber knowledge has probably made these old girls quick, the disc pad material alone would make them stop like never before, so as long as everyone can have it. As for cost, this is all in ones interpretation, alot of $$$ to one person may mean little to another, this can never be stopped!! but by making the rules of ALL is about all one can do. Hell, after-all i race against a damn Mini on steroids at the Festival, when others say my Mustang is too quick i "shrug my shoulders" and say HEY, damn near got beatin by a Mini so can't be, LOL

Dale M

John McKechnie
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
Just remember to take the hand brake off, always helps.
You can handle it when its a Mini, what about when Angus is in the Morris 1100 sedan?

AMCO72
03-30-2013, 03:44 AM
OK, went to the Roycroft festival today. Entries were down a bit on last year but still a good turnout. All the usual 'funny' people that compete at these VCC type events.......sorry oldfart, but all ready willing and able to have a chat about their beloved machines.
Our very own oldfart was having some good runs in his A7, and caught up with 'gbnz' doing his stuff.

Last year for the lunch time parade I took an old fella from a rest-home, this year I was treated to Ron Roycrofts great grand-children, two little girls and their Mum, so that was a bit special. They enjoyed 'speeding' round in an 'old car'.....the MG 1100, and were hanging on tight in the corners!!!!

Browsed the second-hand and new book stalls, and of course made a purchase......a signed edition of 'Wilkie'..... Wilkie Wilkinson........motoracing legend from the old days, and racing manager to some very famous teams and drivers.

Fairly small crowd today, but should improve tomorrow. I'm sure there were some photographers there who hopefully will post on here.

ERC
03-30-2013, 05:52 AM
I have Wilkie Wilkinson's autograph on the same card as Jackie Stewart, Graham Hill, Raymond Mays, Richard Attwood, Tony Brooks Cyril Atkins, Peter Berthon!

Sorry I couldn't get today AMCO. Wife still not too good first thing. Hopefully, I'll make it tomorrow for a couple of hours.

Sun: Sadly, not to be. The rain doesn't help. Ah well. Will just have to look forward to next year instead and hope it will be even bigger and better.

AMCO72
03-30-2013, 08:27 AM
And looking at the fields today I was thinking what a great addition to the meeting a grid of pre60 saloon cars would be. Nice mix of open and closed cars. Probably 95% of cars at the Roycroft are open......a couple of FHC's........XK150 and Lotus Elan......but to be honest the Lotus looked too modern compared to its race buddies. An advanced car for its day and looking streets ahead of the opposition. Was beaten by the Lycoming and a Formula J....... they are grouped in years, but certainly stood out amongst the chrome radiator brigade.

One day............

ERC
03-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Wouldn't that be Tony Herbert's Lotus Elite AMCO? An Elan would be too new. There was a time in the UK when just about the whole under 1300cc sports/GT grid was Lotus Elites. I have one race programme where there was a full grid of 14 cars at Mallory Park and 13 were Elites!

AMCO72
03-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Yes ERC, that is what, and who it was. Went like stink and as I say was only bettered by the Lycoming and a Formula Junior.

Is interesting to see that the big V12 Lagonda lapped the slowest car in its race TWICE !!!!!!!!!!!A big speed differential in all the races between slowest and fastest, and cars were seldom together 'racing', so very little chance of contact, which was good.

PhotoSmith
03-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Photos from yesterday....pre '60 races

PhotoSmith
03-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Pre '45 group....

PhotoSmith
03-30-2013, 10:22 PM
The Stutz.......

PhotoSmith
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Bikes & sidecars......

PhotoSmith
03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
Around the Pits & demo Laps.....last ones for Gerald

ERC
03-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Excellent! I think that last pic should be the basis of a "caption competition"!

Love those vintage sidecars too.

PhotoSmith
03-30-2013, 10:47 PM
photoshopped for the correct era...........

AMCO72
03-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Talking about the side cars. The No95 bike had as the swinger, his wife!!!!! Joanne. Had a chat to her afterwards, as I had been talking to her Father in Law about the bike beforehand. That couple were really giving it everything......3 wheel drifts on the left-hand bends where the swinger really earns their money, and their blues. I asked her if she had ever come off.......of course, she said, but 'relatively' slowly, so not much damage to the body. The whole bike is hand built by her husband, even parts of the engine, and is a real credit to him.

The Father in Law incidentally was 81 years old and still riding......he has a collection of 15 bikes and on the day was on his Jawa.......
Also had his !939 Vellocette.....gorgeous.......and the smell........

Will comment on the pics shortly.

AMCO72
03-30-2013, 11:39 PM
ERC,...... Im sure there will some smart-alec comments about the MG and the Napier......ex London cab by the way. It was so SLOW.....even had to get into 'crawler' gear up the hill. So egged on by my passengers, real Roycroft girls these, we swooped majestically past with much hooting of horns and waving of arms!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the tyre deflection on the Gee Cee Ess.........he was really 'getting on with the washing' much to the delight of the 'crowd'. And no roll over bar, and an open faced helmet with goggles, which really makes it look right when photoshopped.

AMCO72
03-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Perhaps ERC something like.......

"I say Geeves, there appears to be a UFO at 2 o'clock and closing ......better take evasive action"

or.......

"Step on it driver, that's the Wife in hot pursuit"
"That's OK Sir, we will be able to out-corner them on these new slicks"

ERC
03-31-2013, 01:04 AM
"Hey girls, that old taxi just overtook us under braking! They fitted modern number plates and now it goes like stink..."

Or,

"Jeez! I thought Angus was in the south island this weekend."

AMCO72
03-31-2013, 01:42 AM
Yeh Yeh!!!!!!!!!!

Another machine that was doing a lot better than I have seen, was the DKW engined Formula Junior.
Prior to this meet, all it seemed good at was farting vast clouds of oil smoke and breaking down. HOWEVER, yesterday it was really going extraordinarily well with not too much....ring,ding,ding,ding....ding ding!!!!!...... and very little smoke.

Chatting with Bob Homewood later I found out why. They had had a session on Bobs dyno and, wait for it, had almost doubled the HP.
Apparently this 3 cylinder 2 stroke has an unusual valve arrangement, and I didn't get the details, but coupled with the fact that it has NO torque whatever, is inclined to choke itself to death once the revs drop off. During racing if it gets slowed by another competitor, and a change to 2nd gear is necessary, its all over. They are going to find a much lower 2nd gear ratio to fit to the gearbox, and hopefully this will cure the problem.

Classic photos Martin.....

Haga
03-31-2013, 02:43 AM
Talking about the side cars. The No95 bike had as the swinger, his wife!!!!! Joanne. Had a chat to her afterwards, as I had been talking to her Father in Law about the bike beforehand. That couple were really giving it everything......3 wheel drifts on the left-hand bends where the swinger really earns their money, and their blues. I asked her if she had ever come off.......of course, she said, but 'relatively' slowly, so not much damage to the body. The whole bike is hand built by her husband, even parts of the engine, and is a real credit to him.

The Father in Law incidentally was 81 years old and still riding......he has a collection of 15 bikes and on the day was on his Jawa.......

The builder/owner is Jo's dad Neville....not husband. He usually "pilots" the beast!! Goes damn fast as well.....love the pics so far.

AMCO72
03-31-2013, 04:38 AM
Another car it was good to see out was the RA Vanguard. The owner has done a vast amount of work since it was at the last Roycroft on display only. She was still being a bit temperamental though, as I think it always has been. The engineering in this machine is amazing but cant help thinking that Hec Green was trying to be too clever instead of having what could have been a reliable race car.
But this is how legends are made......people pushing beyond the boundary and not being satisfied with the tried and trusted.

The engine is supercharged and has the regular horizontal SU where it should be, but in addition there is another smaller SU mounted vertically adjacent to the blower, and I cant for the life of me think what it is for. At one stage it was pissing petrol everywhere, which caused a lot of spanners to be bought into action.

The car has a very sharp exhaust note through its short stubb pipes, and looked very nice on the track.....almost a mini Auto Union.

GeebeeNZ
03-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Gerald it was fantastic to see the RA Vangaurd out racing.The silver car No 15 in Martins fantastic pictures. Hec Green was such a clever guy he didnt even use springs on the front. If you had looked under the dash down to the footwells you would have seen large rubber bands similar to bungy cords. Sadly after all his hard work he had a problem with a bearing in the rear and had to retire it.

beowulf
03-31-2013, 08:48 AM

Bugger I was going to go and look, and then talked myself out of it. Those sidecars looked wonderful. And was that Denis Jenkinson pushing one of the bikes? A reliable scource told me that AMCO was being lapped! What a contrast muscle cars and F5000'S one week and the next week A7s.
Beowulf

ERC
03-31-2013, 09:10 PM
"Drat. That NAPIER is so quick. Maybe I should have driven an Austin CAMBRIDGE?"

"Next year, I'M going to get a riding mechanic instead of trying to impress young ladies."

AMCO72
03-31-2013, 11:21 PM
.........'Wish Great Grandpa had been here, he would have shown this turkey how to drive'............

Beowulf, I can assure you that if it had been Dennis Jenkinson, he would have been in the side-car. But this brings up the problem of the AGE of most of the competitors at the festival, including the motorcyclists. The grey haired old gits out numbered the younger folk ten to one. Which is a bit worrying. Where are the next generation of Vintage racers coming from?? Us old fellas cant go on for ever you know.

Lapped!!!!!! My dear Beowulf, I had precious cargo on board, and those girls with the Roycroft name, perhaps they will be our future VCC competitors.

Nodiff
04-01-2013, 01:37 AM
The "twin" carb arrangement was set up like this by Hec Green with the smaller vertical SU operating first to provide high velocity air over the jet at low engine speed, the second 2" horizontal does not start to open until about half throttle, the two then are syncronised through to full throttle. I guess it is much the same arrangement as a progressive multi choke carb ie weber etc.

ERC
04-01-2013, 03:03 AM
But this brings up the problem of the AGE of most of the competitors at the festival, including the motorcyclists. The grey haired old gits out numbered the younger folk ten to one. Which is a bit worrying. Where are the next generation of Vintage racers coming from?? Us old fellas cant go on for ever you know.
Good point. Same as those of us who still follow our favourite traditional jazz bands of the 50s/60s and see the average age of the audience...

We can never really predict trends but let's say, all of a sudden, some teenage pop star (sic) such as Justin Berber-Carpet, purchases an Austin Seven. Overnight, there is a massive interest in Austin Sevens and Oldfart is suddenly the man of the moment, fighting off hordes of teenaged girls, clamouring for his autograph. (He wishes...)

Currently, the 'yooth' is fixated on turbos and tyre smoke, so whereas classic racing has had a massive influx of support via the easily obtainable BMW E series, exposing the younger ones to the variety of classic cars available, because (sadly) VCC cars are never seen at Classic events, they are not really getting the exposure they need. It will be interesting to see how the VCC views the future.

AMCO72
04-01-2013, 04:03 AM
Thank you Nodiff for your explanation. However I need someone, you perhaps, to explain it further to a dummy like me.

You see I always thought that was the object of a variable throat carburettor like the SU, to maintain velocity over the jet, so why would you need to complicate the issue by adding another smaller carb to help at low engine speeds ? With the blower increasing the flow anyway from low revs, and the fact that this is a race car where things other than air/ fuel flow are a factor......camshaft design etc, to low engine revs, one has to ask.....what is the point?
Or was it Mr Green thinking outside the square again.

Nodiff
04-01-2013, 05:21 AM
I think that your explanation of Mr Green and the rectangle is probably the answer, This is how Jack Brewer, (Hecs Partner in the venture explained it to me) However if it is not so,then I too would love to know the reason

Thank you Nodiff for your explanation. However I need someone, you perhaps, to explain it further to a dummy like me.

You see I always thought that was the object of a variable throat carburettor like the SU, to maintain velocity over the jet, so why would you need to complicate the issue by adding another smaller carb to help at low engine speeds ? With the blower increasing the flow anyway from low revs, and the fact that this is a race car where things other than air/ fuel flow are a factor......camshaft design etc, to low engine revs, one has to ask.....what is the point?
Or was it Mr Green thinking outside the square again.

AMCO72
04-01-2013, 05:43 AM
In fact Nodiff....are you the owner of the RA Vanguard now. If so, you are to be congratulated on the rebuild. It was good to see and hear it out on the track.

Oldfart
04-01-2013, 06:13 AM
We can never really predict trends but let's say, all of a sudden, some teenage pop star (sic) such as Justin Berber-Carpet, purchases an Austin Seven. Overnight, there is a massive interest in Austin Sevens and Oldfart is suddenly the man of the moment, fighting off hordes of teenaged girls, clamouring for his autograph. (He wishes...)

Gerald you were not supposed to notice the conversation with a very spunky side car swinger! When I mentioned my older son who crews for those things she perked up too!

AMCO72
04-01-2013, 06:26 AM
Spunky.....yes, and brave..... but notice the way Jo 'swings' compared to the way the boys swing. Perhaps the boys aren't as athletic as the girls, as it is quite hard to 'get up' from the lying down position, back on to the platform to set up for the next corner, while travelling at 70+ mph. She must pump a bit of iron!!!!!

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 06:27 AM
RA Carburetor set up

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 06:47 AM

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Lycoming Special

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Lycoming Special "undressed"

AMCO72
04-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Bob, your a man who knows about these things...any comments on the RA carb setup.

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 07:08 AM
Bob, your a man who knows about these things...any comments on the RA carb setup.

Yes I looked at it ,I remembered the set up from years ago and I spoke with no diff I believe its a great set up I believe ,the carburetors are sized progressively and the connecting linkage is also adjustable ,the theory being is that you don't "drown " the engine at low revs and when it is off boost,you can also tailor the drive ability a bit with the linkage I would believe

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 07:11 AM
Stutz

AMCO72
04-01-2013, 07:14 AM
So there you go.....straight from the horses mouth. Thanks for that Bob, Hec certainly was a lateral thinker.

Oldfart
04-01-2013, 07:15 AM
My mechanic! Is this attracting youth enough?

Nodiff
04-01-2013, 07:32 AM
In fact Nodiff....are you the owner of the RA Vanguard now. If so, you are to be congratulated on the rebuild. It was good to see and hear it out on the track.

Thanks for the comments, It has been a labour of love, that was originally intended to be a bit of a tidy up, but turned into an 8 year rebuild project.....You know how it, is life etc just seems to get in the way. Now all I have to do is get it performing like is should, before I am too old to enjoy it!

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 07:41 AM
RA Special a job well done

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
More Superchargers and SU

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 08:28 AM
Stutz Engine

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 08:34 AM
A nice study in tyre contact area here

Michael Clark
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Great shots Bob - I love the RA and anything with 'Special' in the title.

I seem to recall a car turned up at Indy one year - during the Roadster era I guess - called the 'Nothing Special'

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
And another study of tyre contact

bob homewood
04-01-2013, 08:51 AM
DKW Formula Junior engine

GeebeeNZ
04-01-2013, 07:05 PM
Best Times from this years event

No. EVENT CLASS TIME NAME CAR
~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~
22 R8 PRE 60 1m22.51 RALPH SMITH LYCOMING NZ SPECIAL
21 R8 PRE 60 1m24.48 ROB WILLIAMS ELVA FORMULA JUNIOR
74 R4 PRE 60 1m24.82 WALTER FINDLEY ELVA FORMULA JUNIOR
144 R4 PRE 60 1m25.30 CRAIG LAING BUCKLER DD2 CLIMAX
38 P4 PRE 60 1m25.59 PETER WHITE BUCKLER MK17 1600
50 R8 PRE 60 1m27.04 TONY HERBERT LOTUS ELITE 51 1460
89 R2 PRE 60 1m29.53 JOHN URE JAGUAR MK 7 3800
69 R5 PRE 45 1m32.55 DAVID BROCK-JEST LAGONDA V12 LEMANS
23 R4 PRE 60 1m34.13 BOB HISLOP AUSTIN HEALEY 2919
18 R8 PRE 60 1m34.18 ROB HERBERT LOTUS SEVEN SERIES1
165 R5 PRE 45 1m34.88 RAMON FARMER RILEY RANSLEY SPEC.
45 R11 TROPHY 1m35.08 PETER BENBROOK BUCKLER MK5 1172
15 R8 PRE 60 1m35.22 REX BENTHAM JAGUAR XK150 3400
5 P2 PRE 60 1m35.96 GRAEME BRAYSHAW COOPER MK8 FORMULA 3
5A R10 PRE 60 1m36.31 GRAEME BRAYSHAW BUCKLER MK5 1172
44 R2 PRE 60 1m36.74 DON SUCKLING FORD GCS 4200
37 P2 PRE 60 1m39.66 LAURIE CALLENDER JBS FORMULA 3 500
26 R7 PRE 45 1m39.75 STEPHEN ALDERSLEY AUSTIN 7 SPECIAL 750
84 R6 PRE 60 1m41.10 FRED COURTNEY NORTHLAND SPECIAL3.4
131 P4 PRE 60 1m41.41 ROGER HERRICK AUSTIN A40 SPECIAL
17 R4 PRE 60 1m42.34 STEVEN PAYNE MORGAN 4+4 SERIES 2
441 R8 PRE 60 1m43.51 STAN BENBROOK BAGBY SPECIAL 1172
30 R3 PRE 45 1m43.80 IAN WILLIAMS AUSTIN 7 SPECIAL 750
19 R8 PRE 60 1m44.12 GREIG TERRILL MORRIS SPECIAL 1000
58 P2 PRE 60 1m45.28 STEVE DAY BUCKLER 90 1172
8 R3 PRE 45 1m45.59 ALAN BLUNDELL JAGUAR SS 2500
42 R2 PRE 60 1m45.77 ROD BRAYSHAW MG TF 1250
14 R2 PRE 60 1m46.56 JOHN ADDY SPEEDEX SILVERSTONE
20 R12 TROPHY 1m46.78 LAWRIE POOLMAN MG C TYPE 750
51 R10 PRE 60 1m46.86 NEIL MOORE JOWETT JUPITER 1486
521 R6 PRE 60 1m47.75 GRAEME-JOE BRUNTLETT FORD 10 SPECIAL 1172
46 R4 PRE 60 1m48.63 TONY BUSHELL MG A 1500
39 R7 PRE 45 1m49.35 JOHN HANCOCK MG K1 1287
29 R7 PRE 45 1m49.74 KEVIN ANDREW MG J2 850
33 R9 PRE 45 1m51.57 PETER CARROL AUSTIN 7 SPECIAL 750
64 R7 PRE 45 1m51.93 GEOFF WILSON MG TC 1250
10 R4 PRE 60 1m52.16 MICHAEL WOODS AUSTIN 10 SPECIAL948
12 P2 PRE 60 1m52.87 RICHARD ANDERSON RA VANGARD NZ SPEC.
91 R7 PRE 45 1m54.18 RHYS NOLAN AUSTIN 7 SPECIAL 750
27 R11 TROPHY 1m54.27 RICHARD McWHANNELL AUSTIN 7 DIEPPE SPRT
49 R12 TROPHY 1m54.56 IAN BRADLEY AUSTIN HEALEY SPRITE
16 R6 PRE 60 1m56.39 FRANCIS KAY MG TF 1500
2 R7 PRE 45 1m56.67 EDDIE SIMPSON MG J2 1200
34 R3 PRE 45 1m57.48 KEITH COOPER AUSTIN 7 SPECIAL 750
66 R1 PRE 45 1m58.01 RYAN McDONALD CHEVROLET 490 2800
130 R5 PRE 45 2m00.16 HAROLD BOOTH RILEY 9 HP TOURER
36 R1 PRE 45 2m00.41 HAMISH ANDREW WOLSELEY HORNET 1271
7 R7 PRE 45 2m01.89 BRENDAN LAMAIN AUSTIN 7 SPECIAL 750
3 R7 PRE 45 2m03.60 MICHAEL STUART AUSTIN 7 EA SPORTS
11 R7 PRE 45 2m07.16 GERALD WATSON RILEY 9 SPECIAL 1087
6 P1 PRE 45 2m07.53 JOHN MILES AUSTIN 7 SPECIAL 747
5 R1 PRE 45 2m16.23 JOHN BELLAMORE STUTZ
28 R5 PRE 45 2m17.00 ROSEMARY PEARSON RILEY LYNX 1087
35 R5 PRE 45 2m25.61 MICHAEL GREIG RILEY 9 HP TOURER
28 R4 PRE 60 2m59.50 MAX RUTHERFORD JBS 500

Powder
04-01-2013, 07:21 PM
My mechanic! Is this attracting youth enough?

She must have done a good job as the car was going well.

Oldfart
04-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Car was going well, the driver is bloody slow though!

ERC
04-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Car was going well, the driver is bloody slow though!
May I disrespectfully suggest suggest that letting the mechanic drive as soon as she is old enough, will probably see a reduction in lap times due to, ahem, power to weight ratio improvements?

Great to see the youngsters involved though.

Where were all the FJ's this year?

Oldfart
04-01-2013, 09:33 PM
Where is the disrespect in that? Not only power to weight, probably skill too. Last week it was Anne Thompsons granddaughter driving down Millen Mountain.
FJs? They have excuses like SFOS having given them too much racing!!!!!!!

RogerH
04-02-2013, 01:09 AM
Where were all the FJ's this year?

A combination of someone forgetting to let them know that they were providing a grid for them and some (minority?) elements within the VCC who still don't consider that pre 1961 FJs should be at the Roycroft meeting despite other pre 1961 cars being invited.

Hopefully it will be resolved before next year's event.

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 01:55 AM
So who eventually won the Roycroft Trophy?
I departed after the second red flag so didn't see the race.

Steve Holmes
04-02-2013, 02:13 AM
She must have done a good job as the car was going well.

Lookin' good Rhys!

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 02:30 AM

Oldfart
04-02-2013, 03:32 AM
So who eventually won the Roycroft Trophy?
I departed after the second red flag so didn't see the race.

You didn't miss a lot! Lawrie Poolman "won". Sad outcome for the car involved though and detracted from the meeting a huge amount. Thankfully cars can be repaired and no injury whatever.
Thanks for the photos guys, the point about power to weight ratio is well exhibited!

ERC
04-02-2013, 03:58 AM
What car was damaged - and where?

Interesting comment Roger, given that most of us would rather see a large entry of varied cars than just three or four classes. FJ's are in the true spririt of this sort of meeting and I really can't believe that there are some people who object to a grid of FJs.

I presume that it is the generosity of Hampton Downs that supports this two day meeting? There is no way the normal costs would be recovered by an entry and entry fee of that size - which is far more suited to a one day meeting.

Like the painted on numbers Rhys. I have a couple of tins of signwriter's paint in the garage rescued from the days before that terrible vinyl stuff that either pulls off your new paint, or curls up and falls off when the backing gets wet...

Oldfart
04-02-2013, 06:12 AM
Lycoming, turn 1 partway thru the final race.
I don't know where this about the FJs comes from. Their "co-ordinator" certainly knew about the desire to have the pre 61 cars there.

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 06:42 AM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 07:15 AM

GeebeeNZ
04-02-2013, 08:54 AM
They say timing is everything and after a faultless run all weekend my little Buckler Mk5 finally said enough as we were getting it off the trailer at home and the SU fuel pump stopped functioning. Luckily it didnt do it when Peter was threading through the field to second place in the Roycroft Trophy. A knock with the handle of a screw driver failed to bring it to life so it looks like a rebuild.
Nigel if you have any pics of that little blue no 45 we would love to see them.

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Sorry GeeBeeNZ but I don't have any shots of No. 45 this year.

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:16 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:18 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:20 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:22 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:25 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:29 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:32 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:34 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:36 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:37 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:40 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:43 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:45 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:47 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:49 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:51 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:53 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:56 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:58 PM

nigel watts
04-02-2013, 09:59 PM

AMCO72
04-02-2013, 10:41 PM
If, as reported elsewhere the Lycoming crashed at the Leadfoot, it was up and running and looking good at the Roycroft
Pretty hard to find panels for her these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oldfart
04-02-2013, 11:38 PM
If, as reported elsewhere the Lycoming crashed at the Leadfoot, it was up and running and looking good at the Roycroft
Pretty hard to find panels for her these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know about at the Leadfoot Gerald, but Ralph had a mishap in the last race at Roycroft bringing out the red flags. It did not look too bad, but severely bent front right hand rim.

AMCO72
04-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Yeh, sorry O.F. Got me Leadfoots and Roycrofts mixed up. That notorious turn ONE. Don't talk to me about it. My green paint is adorning the concrete along with a lot of other colours. And that bit of re-sealing they did between the two weekends of Denny Hulme made it especially treacherous.
I'm sure Mr Lycoming has the technology to fix it.

ERC
04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Seems the Mini is in the wars this year...

Nice little piece in the Herald motoring section today from Peter Calder. Good pic of the Lagonda too.

Was there ever a better name for a car make?...

Steve Holmes
04-03-2013, 04:16 AM
Wow, guys, stunning photos! Thanks so much for posting them.

Powder
04-03-2013, 07:48 AM

Not quite up to Nigel's standard, but it's better than nothing.

nigel watts
04-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Don't sell yourself short Powder - it's a perfectly fine image

Powder
04-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Don't sell yourself short Powder - it's a perfectly fine image

Cheers Nigel. It's slightly 'over-panned', so the driver isn't sharp, and the colours are a bit flat compared to your photos.

PhotoSmith
04-03-2013, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=Powder;26752]Not quite up to Nigel's standard, but it's better than nothing.

this one's from saturday........

Malcolm McLeod
04-03-2013, 08:55 AM
And here is a photo of said driver at Leadfoot...read the message on the back of the overalls!

Where is the disrespect in that? Not only power to weight, probably skill too. Last week it was Anne Thompsons granddaughter driving down Millen Mountain.
FJs? They have excuses like SFOS having given them too much racing!!!!!!!

PhotoSmith
04-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Another car it was good to see out was the RA Vanguard.............almost a mini Auto Union.

Certainly from this angle - Very Auto Union looking.

nigel watts
04-03-2013, 10:27 AM
I didn't get to the circuit until Sunday and unfortunately by then it appeared that many cars had suffered problems and were no longer running.t6r55555555555555555rfeddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd [cat just stood on the keyboard!!]
I would have loved to see the Vanguard running.
Maybe next year

GeebeeNZ
04-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Many thanks Martin and Powder for those great shots of my little blue 45
Graeme

David McKinney
04-03-2013, 11:55 AM

Is that the famous White Riley, and does it now reside in NZ?

AMCO72
04-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Certainly from this angle - Very Auto Union looking.

Yes, and all you need is Tazio Nuvolari, in his leather helmet and goggles, and your there.......perhaps a few more stubbs!!!

AMCO72
04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Nigel, this is a problem with meetings that have delicate old cars. I have learnt to go on the first day when there is a reasonable chance of them all running. But not necessarily so. I think some owners pop the cars into a garage at the end of the meeting and twelve months later dig them out and expect them to go. There always seems to be a lot of fettling on that first morning.

Don't know whether this was the RA's first meeting, but he did very well with an unsorted car. He was having trouble with the oil feed to the supercharger at one stage. Don't know whether or not this was resolved.

ERC
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Nuvolari - prewar Donington - one of dad's original images.

Agree with AMCO. I usually go on day 1, even if it is only practice. I want to grab a pic before things fall off or out.

nigel watts
04-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Wow, love that shot of Nuvolari and the Auto Union. Must have been an awe inspiring moment to see these cars being driven to their absolute maximum.
I wonder if we asked nicely whether the current owners would send one out for the next Roycroft... and maybe a couple of same era Mercedes to fill the container. Yeah right - dream on

ERC
04-03-2013, 10:53 PM
I think we'd even be happy with the recreations Nigel! That pic was taken I think, on a 4" x 3" glass negative.

It was dad's photos like this that really ignited my passion for motorsport. That and him teaching me every car on the road as he wheeled me along in my pushchair. Apparently my first word was "Rover" - and we didn't even have a dog... and I could recognise every car that passed by the time I was talking properly! I couldn't do that now to my grand children as sadly, too many look the same these days.

Michael Clark
04-04-2013, 12:01 AM
By sheer coincidence I once happened to have dinner with Murray Walker in, of all places, Indianapolis - we were both 'lone diners' in that sad area restaurants reserve for people with no friends...

Amongst the many things we discussed over dinner was the Silver Arrows racing at Donington - I'm guessing Murray must have mentioned his father was commentating there. I made a comment similar to that of Nigel's and MW responded with something like 'The most boring racing I'd ever seen...'

When I quizzed him further on it he said that the M-Bs and AUs were so far in front of the rest, which I guess comprised the likes of ERAs, that it was absolutely no contest. In the book I did on Chris Amon for 'his' Festival in 2011, we made a list of the 10 cars he'd loved to have driven - a 1937 Type C Auto Union was his number 1.

Steve Holmes
04-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Great point Michael. Manfred von Brauchitsch in his Mercedes-Benz demolished the existing Donington lap record by 15 seconds in 1937, giving an idea of how much faster the German cars were than the local contingent. And for an entrant to be classified a finisher, they had to finish within 15 minutes of the winner after the 3 hour duration, which none of the British teams managed. So maybe Murray has a point in that the race itself was somewhat boring, especially as several of the German cars failed. But from everything I've read, the sheer noise, speed and smell of the M-Bs and Auto-Unions made for such a spectacle, the actual racing itself played a secondary role.

Nodiff
04-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Don't know whether this was the RA's first meeting, but he did very well with an unsorted car. He was having trouble with the oil feed to the supercharger at one stage. Don't know whether or not this was resolved.

Yes it was first time out. In fact the car was "Finished" (and I use the term reservedly) on the Thursday night, wheeled onto the trailer for the ride up to Hampton. The first time that it was driven, was from my pit area to the scrutineering bay, where the noise scared the bejeezuz out of the scrutineers. Oil feed sorted (disconnected) but some isues with the blower plumbing (only getting about 2 lbs boost instead of the 16 before the connections disconnected) and a rear wheel bearing issue which sidelined it on the Sunday..All will be remedied as I have promised Fred Courtney that I will give hime something to race against next year (Or at the HRSCC Taupo meet in December)

nigel watts
04-04-2013, 01:13 AM
Amongst the many things we discussed over dinner was the Silver Arrows racing at Donington - I'm guessing Murray must have mentioned his father was commentating there. I made a comment similar to that of Nigel's and MW responded with something like 'The most boring racing I'd ever seen...'

I'm prepared for boredom - for several hours if required!!

Steve Holmes
04-04-2013, 01:42 AM
Yes it was first time out. In fact the car was "Finished" (and I use the term reservedly) on the Thursday night, wheeled onto the trailer for the ride up to Hampton. The first time that it was driven, was from my pit area to the scrutineering bay, where the noise scared the bejeezuz out of the scrutineers. Oil feed sorted (disconnected) but some isues with the blower plumbing (only getting about 2 lbs boost instead of the 16 before the connections disconnected) and a rear wheel bearing issue which sidelined it on the Sunday..All will be remedied as I have promised Fred Courtney that I will give hime something to race against next year (Or at the HRSCC Taupo meet in December)

The car is a credit to you Richard. It looks magnificent. I wish I could hear it running.

rf84
04-04-2013, 04:35 AM
Yes it is a credit to Richard. He has done every single task on the car except for some aluminium welding and the louvres. Richard even went to panelbeating nightclasses to learn how to make his own panels. Nothing was easy-things like Oleo struts and rubber band suspension are not parts you pick up at your local "Supercheap" shop. A great example of what can be achieved with skill and perseverance.

AMCO72
04-04-2013, 05:04 AM
Which makes it all the more remarkable that the completely untried car went as well as it did.

nigel watts
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
Shot a couple of rolls of black & white film as well as colour digital
Here's the first one

nigel watts
04-04-2013, 10:27 PM

Steve Holmes
04-04-2013, 10:56 PM
Yes it is a credit to Richard. He has done every single task on the car except for some aluminium welding and the louvres. Richard even went to panelbeating nightclasses to learn how to make his own panels. Nothing was easy-things like Oleo struts and rubber band suspension are not parts you pick up at your local "Supercheap" shop. A great example of what can be achieved with skill and perseverance.

Lets see if we can convince Richard to create a dedicated thread about this car, and his restoration of it. I'd certainly love to see that, and I know many on here would share my thoughts.

nigel watts
04-04-2013, 10:59 PM

nigel watts
04-05-2013, 03:39 AM

Michael Clark
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Fantastic stuff Nigel - just superb!

nigel watts
04-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks Michael.
I still think that B&W film can hold it's own against digital.

nigel watts
04-05-2013, 10:45 AM

nigel watts
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM

nigel watts
04-05-2013, 11:24 AM

Michael Clark
04-05-2013, 11:32 AM
You bet!

nigel watts
04-06-2013, 01:49 AM

Oldfart
04-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Fabulous stuff, thanks to all those who have posted these superb pics. The B&W is very evocative with this era of cars I think.

crunch
04-06-2013, 09:02 AM

...and it B&W photography the clouds gain a perspective that adds to the image

beowulf
04-06-2013, 08:31 PM
...and it B&W photography the clouds gain a perspective that adds to the image

I agree. I am trying to convince my grandchildren that when I was young the whole world was black and white, and has only recently changed to colour. My closing arguement is to look at the old photos, they re all in B and W. Only mixed success so far but I am working on it.

ERC
04-06-2013, 10:26 PM
When did colour first arrive on the scene, slides or negatives? When clearing out Mum & Dad's house, I found a colour slide of their 1940 wedding...

jim short
04-06-2013, 11:18 PM
I have some film on vhs of the old racing cars Monkhouse or some name was the first to bring in colour in the 30--40s???

nigel watts
04-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Steve Holmes
04-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Superb photos Nigel, thanks for posting.

ERC
01-05-2014, 03:06 AM
TV3 this afternoon - 3:30.

Frosty5
01-05-2014, 08:04 AM
TV3 this afternoon - 3:30.

And wasn't that just the bees knees. Who was the guy doing some of the commentating, familiar voice?

GeebeeNZ
01-05-2014, 09:39 AM
And wasn't that just the bees knees. Who was the guy doing some of the commentating, familiar voice?

That was Captain Ian Bradley Sarah's father.