PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Instamatic random photos from the 70's (quite horrible quality-sorry)

Steve Emson
05-05-2013, 04:33 AM

Steve Emson
05-05-2013, 04:36 AM

Steve Emson
05-05-2013, 04:38 AM

Grant Sprague
05-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Steve don't be sorry there is a lot of history here ,,, hey the white XU! is that Kerry's as his was white so guess it must be , think I told you I see Kerry often ........... I still have photos of old days .... of gtx .. will post when I sort crop ap ..... also still hunting for the one of you & I going through turn one bay park side by side giving each other zero room lol that the way it had to be eh lol...... ps was talking to Allen Farr the other day as getting ready to arrange trip south & catch up for levels , he enjoyed catching up with you & Ralf ... ok mate laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr .. grant

Rod Grimwood
05-05-2013, 05:47 AM
Good photos Steve, who is with Young Woolfy and the Triump PI is your dad or Alan. looks like Bay Park

Steve Emson
05-05-2013, 06:09 AM
Hi Grant,
Yes the white XU1 is Kerry's. I believe it was a GTR converted to XU1 specs. You and me side by side giving each other zero room,.....that must be a good photo. Surely gentleman give each other 1/2 an inch or so!
Dad really enjoyed himself at Waimate, loved catching up with everyone.

Hi Rod,
That is Alan standing next to John. Johns girlfriend, who he married much later, was at school with my girlfriend and they knew each other quite well. Some quite strange links to the two families. I will never forget the phone call I got about John & Grant. That really kicked my guts in. John had only a short time before the accident been trying to convince me to go to the States and do some rallying against the Americans with him. I cannot imagine what it was like for Alan & Colleen and Johns wife Carol.

Rod Grimwood
05-05-2013, 06:20 AM
That was a very sad day in all our lives Steve, I knew them both pretty well and had done a few things with them. Two nicer families you could not meet.

Steve Holmes
05-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Hey Steve, these are fantastic! Got any more? The second photo in the second post, is that the Clyde Collins PDL Falcon? And if so, how did it end up with all that damage?

Snoozin
05-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Nothing to be sorry about, this stuff is so cool to see! That Triumph is doing it for me...

John McKechnie
05-08-2013, 07:37 AM
[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;28440]Hey Steve, these are fantastic! Got any more? The second photo in the second post, is that the Clyde Collins PDL Falcon? And if so, how did it end up with all that damage

Steve- Clydes car had a major facial at the Lady Wigram race 1971.
In the second heat Coppins led Marwood, Collins, Fahey and Richards..
On the second lap Collins overdid things at the hairpin, shot off the circuit came back on again and hit the back of Marwoods car. Dennis continued , but Clydes PDL car was out with frontal damage.
He missed quite a few race meetings after this.
Also the Rothmans half Hour Production race is also at this race meeting. There was contraversy because Francevic was running race rubber, and the event almost didnt happen as the other drivers were naturally very unhappy about this.
Grady Thomson ( z/28) Camaro , Jim Richards( Claytons HT monaro), then Franicevic (Team McMillan GTHO) on pole of course with racing tyres.
Then Ralf Emson XU1, Ron Rutherford- GTS Monaro, John Dymond GTHO.
Picture shows Emson getting ready to take Thomson on second lap.
Ralf just beat Grady for 4th place.
Hows that both Steves ?:cool:

Steve Emson
05-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Geez John that is a pretty good effort. 10 out of 10. You are quite right about Francevic and the racing tyres. There was a lot of mutterings about that. Francevic always pushed things a little when it came to the rules, both with his driving and car eligibility. Of course so did a lot of competitors . It was take no prisoners back then, and many top drivers would think nothing of bending a few panels. The shaky photo of the falcon was me trying not to get run down as the car was still moving towards me when I jumped in front to take that bloody awful shot. Dad had a fantastic battle with Grady in his Camaro, and did get him as you said. They were really honking down the back straight Dad has told me. So tell me how did you know all this stuff. I knew it because I was always hanging around watching and learning the occasional thing or two.

[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;28440]Hey Steve, these are fantastic! Got any more? The second photo in the second post, is that the Clyde Collins PDL Falcon? And if so, how did it end up with all that damage

On the second lap Collins overdid things at the hairpin, shot off the circuit came back on again and hit the back of Marwoods car. Dennis continued , but Clydes PDL car was out with frontal damage.
Also the Rothmans half Hour Production race is also at this race meeting. There was contraversy because Francevic was running race rubber, and the event almost didnt happen as the other drivers were naturally very unhappy about this.
Grady Thomson ( z/28) Camaro , Jim Richards( Claytons HT monaro), then Franicevic (Team McMillan GTHO) on pole of course with racing tyres.

John McKechnie
05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Steve- Im glad you liked the stories and that I got the details right.
I have the Motorman mags, and Autonews for 1967-75 as that is my favourite period.
Some one goes to all the trouble of having the pics, I love to research and get as much detail of that moment.
Also Grady and his exploits are close to my heart as you know by me owning his ex Monaro.
He went from that to this Camaro, and its still going- lives in the Waikato.
That Falcon of Clydes is a great photo as you know there is something important happening.
Top marks for all these pics, and keep them coming.

Steve Emson
05-08-2013, 08:57 PM
John, Grady's old Monaro, now that is a car worth having in the shed..............I have a photo of that car somewhere. One day I will go through all the boxes of family photos. Actually I think it is on a movie I took at one of the starts to the Heatway rally. Would that be the same car?

Steve Holmes
05-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Thats great info thanks John. So this would be the second season Collins ran the PDL Falcon when it had the Minilites? I believe they had a lot of issues with the car overheating that second season.

jamie
05-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Awsom Steve every one looks so young Jamie A

John McKechnie
05-09-2013, 12:55 AM
John, Grady's old Monaro, now that is a car worth having in the shed..............I have a photo of that car somewhere. One day I will go through all the boxes of family photos. Actually I think it is on a movie I took at one of the starts to the Heatway rally. Would that be the same car?

Steve Em- Grady had 3 Monaros.- Road HT 350 which he did production racing in (before the Camaro), He had the racing Team Cambridge HK Monaro- my one- with HT grille, he later painted in bronze and he had the 1969 Silver Fern winning HK Monaro.
Any pictures that come my way will be greatly appreciated -either by emailing to me or better still , if I can take a good print off the original.
The movie of the H:cool:eatway would be easily worth some laps at HD in the Monaro in Jan next year during the lunchtime break- hows your Bucket List on authentic cars, remembering what you said about Dicks one - after all Dennis Marwood still gets out when Warringtons here..

kiwi285
05-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Another great collection of photos - they mightn't be top quality but they are historic and very valuable for that reason.

Thanks for posting them - any more.

Grant Sprague
05-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Hi Grant,
Yes the white XU1 is Kerry's. I believe it was a GTR converted to XU1 specs. You and me side by side giving each other zero room,.....that must be a good photo. Surely gentleman give each other 1/2 an inch or so!

Hi Rod,
That is Alan standing next to John. Johns girlfriend, who he married much later, was at school with my girlfriend and they knew each other quite well. Some quite strange links to the two families. I will never forget the phone call I got about John & Grant. That really kicked my guts in. John had only a short time before the accident been trying to convince me to go to the States and do some rallying against the Americans with him. I cannot imagine what it was like for Alan & Colleen and Johns wife Carol. Steve Em .... Kerry was telling me a few weeks ago he was at levels with his XU1 , went around on the warm up lap to form either 1st or 2nd row he went on the grass & over shot grid position only to reverse back up to correct grid ..... the flag dropped Kerrie took off in reverse lololol , we could not stop laughing , mind you he wouldnt have been laughing then , ...... Grant

Jizim
06-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Hi Grant,

Hi Rod,
That is Alan standing next to John. Johns girlfriend, who he married much later, was at school with my girlfriend and they knew each other quite well. Some quite strange links to the two families. I will never forget the phone call I got about John & Grant. That really kicked my guts in. John had only a short time before the accident been trying to convince me to go to the States and do some rallying against the Americans with him. I cannot imagine what it was like for Alan & Colleen and Johns wife Carol.

Had a bit to do with John in his early RX3 Rally days as I was rallying an RX3 Coupe in the Racing Off season. That was a crazy thing that happened in the States. John had won The Press on Regardless Rally the year before...but Rodney and Mike had won the Championship. So Rodney being the good Kiwi bloke he is told John they would toss a coin to see who starts first on the road. Well John won the toss unknowingly fate had it he would be tragically killed coming over a brow at top speed in the Peugoet Rally car with all the wheels off the ground to land squarely on the bonnet of a Ford F250 4 wheel drive that had driven on to the rally course by some hunters oblivious to the rally. Rodney and Mike arrived at the scene a minute later to find the accident. Mike jumped out to render help while Rodney raced back to the start line to stop the feild. The rally was cancelled after the organisers couldnt guarantee that other hunters and such couldnt repeat what just occurred. Grant was killed instantly while John was to hang on for a few minutes. All three hunters were incinerated in the fiery carnage. Very sad alright. John was a very capable rally driver. They took the RX3 coupe to the USA and made people take notice when they passed about forty cars in their first event. It's good to see Alan still driving at some of the Festival events and it is interesting to note as a fifteen year old apprentice at Mundell and Slaughter Engine Reconditioners in France Street Akld City I knew Alan well......he had a car wreckers yard at the bottom of the street just off K Road. Drove Triumphs back then as well...(1965)....lovely family. Kind regards, Tony Rutherford.