PDA

View Full Version : The state of NZ Motorsport ? MK 2

Frosty5
05-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Hi guys, does this not ring a bell somewhere. Where have we heard these type of comments. Seems to be universal doesn't it. Enjoy the read, I did. Cheers Dave Graham

Articles courtesy of Historic MotorRacing News:

European Historic Motor Racing Survey Motor Racing Legends, organiser of four top historic race series as well as the annual Le Mans Legend support race to the 24 Hours, asked more than 100 drivers, owners and preparers of historic racing cars what they see for the future of the sport.
In particular, asked Motor Racing Legends, what are the potential threats to historic motorsport in the next few years?
Keep it Fun For a start, eight out of ten respondents said that poor or aggressive driving standards in historic racing will lead to owners withdrawing their cars from races over the course of the next few years. Many linked this aggression 'to the increasing use of hired professional drivers, in a sport that is essentially meant to be amateur and 'fun' in character. "There are too many hired drivers for club racing," said one respondent. Another said, "The penalties for dangerous driving should be more severe."
Rising Value of Cars: Secondly, around a third (32.3%) feel it is likely that the rising value of historic cars will see owners become increasingly reluctant to race them. While most competitors still feel that historic motors port
will enjoy real racing cars with historic provenance out on track, there was nevertheless a significant minority (37.6%) who believe that - in 10 years' time - genuine period race cars will largely be kept as static exhibits, while owners race reproductions instead. But then, as one respondent asked, "Will historic race car values rise if they are not raced?"
Minimise Cost and Bureaucracy: The rising cost of entry fees to historic races was another common theme, with many
competitors highlighting the need to attract younger, less wealthy drivers to the sport. There was also a strong feeling of antipathy towards what one competitor described as "the intrusion of the FIA." Another summarised.
the opinions of many, with the comment: "Get the MSA and health and safety off our backs as much as possible, and make the whole process friendly and fun."
In conclusion, Duncan Wiltshire, Chairman of Motor Racing Legends, was interested in the changing views of competitors over the last four or five years. "When we last conducted a survey, back in 2008, the main bone of
contention was eligibility - how to ensure that cars were running in the correct period specification. While this is certainly still of great concern, the main focus seems to have shifted to the need to keep historic motorsport
fun, affordable, and relatively, unbureaucratic. Escalating costs and inappropriate intervention by the governing bodies of modern motorsport are also a major theme in the responses to our survey. We will be working with the circuits. other race organisers and the governing bodies to try to give our competitors what they want."

Kiwiboss
05-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks for posting Dave, this article is in the current USA Victory Lane magazine and doesn't indicate the state of NZ motorsport but what is happening "worldwide" which is quite relevant for down here!! We will be using some of these mentioned matters in HMC in the future.

Great Article that shows were Vintage racing is, and how most are feeling reqarding the sport in todays world.

Dale M

RacerT
05-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Great article guys! There are probably three or four threads alone in this article and it is close reflection of NZ Historic and Classic racing.
We are having the F5000 annual drivers meeting at Ellerslie this year and this article will be a hand out to the members for discussion.

ERC
05-15-2013, 09:00 PM
"Keep it Fun For a start, eight out of ten respondents said that poor or aggressive driving standards in historic racing will lead to owners withdrawing their cars from races over the course of the next few years."

Which is why we now hane a virtual "three strikes and you are out" policy. I put this as more important than 100% period accuracy for the cars.

That survey echoes the thoughts of many of us over here too. Thanks for publishing it.

John McKechnie
05-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Ray- I agree with you 100% on the damage other cars and you are out.
Personally I think 3 gives too much leniency. 3 hits can still do 3 huge repairs to 3 innocent cars..
As well as three strikes and you are out, the offending driver/owner should pay the repair bill.
That would curb the red mist somewhat.

Frosty5
05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
I was talking with a fellow enthusiast the other day and he made mention of a system used (USA I think) to prevent the big dives at corners. There is a yellow line painted on the track from just before the corner and along the ripple strips which is a no overtaking area, this is supposed to prevent the dive bombing cowboys. If you transgress then it's onto the trailer. No if's or buts. perhaps something like that could be incorporated for HMC etc. Certainly reduce the repairs bills. Last thing one wants with a valuable car is for some dohunga to make a big dive down the inside when there is no way he'll get through particularly for LHD cars. Just a thought.
Dave Graham

ERC
05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
At our drivers' briefing, I emphasise at just about every meeting, that because we are running handicap races, there are effectively two lines around any hairpin and if a faster car has caught you, let him go. Don't block and don't cut the corner.

To expand on the three strikes. First incident (driver at fault), a stern warning. Second incident, a suspenion. Third incident, permanent ban.

To date, I have only ever suspended one driver for the remainder of the season and that resulted in a much improved awareness from then on. There is no room for the Red Mist in classic racing. I have also banned a couple of visitors who asked to run with us and who didn't respect the clean driving rule.

I may be in a minority here, but 100% period accuracy means nothing if the driver thinks he's a stock car pilot. Equally, I am happy to turn a blind eye to a minor car irregularity or even illegibiity, if the driver respects the driving standards.

Frosty5
05-15-2013, 11:09 PM
ERC - (Ray?) I think the above is certainly an option that could be adopted by all Historics. However, the responsibility is always with the overtaking driver as far as I am aware. Look at my namesake and Whincup in the V8 SC race at Puke recently. Was never going to happen. Penalty - no points. While I don't have a race car or race I am certainly conscious of the efforts that guys go to, to race and present their cars in the best light possible and then have someone Richard Cranium have a brain fade and damage a fellow competitors car for the sake of trying to get ahead. Duh!!!!
Dave Graham

CobraV8
05-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Frosty .... The yelow passing area, Gees don't do that. American racing is often very amateur looking, and maybe this is why. Some cars will be fast on the straights and some on corners. Drivers just need to be appreciative of each others machinery and respect the fun more than the chance of a win.

Frosty5
05-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Drivers just need to be appreciative of each others machinery and respect the fun more than the chance of a win.

CobraV8.... that is exactly the point and I think that's where those coming into HMC need to understand that. HMC is a class for fun, no points, no champion, no trophies just good ole fun racing knowing that the condition your car arrives in is the same when you go home. I certainly agree with your sentiments.
Dave