PDA

View Full Version : Not a new member-just coming out.

rf84
06-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Hi all. I am not a new member here but since having joined TRS I have met a number of members who have not worked out who "RF84" is.
My nom de plume comes from the fact that I own 2 RF84 Van Diemen Formula Fords. Most people's response on learning this is "you poor bastard". The first car I bought is the ex Ashley Stichbury car and the second (parts car) is the other ex Murray Taylor car. This means the 2 Murray Taylor cars and 2 ex Murray Taylor mechanics (Darryl and Wayne Palleson) are all in Havelock North!
First race car was the ex Bob Gibbons MKV Cooper JAP. This was joined by a Cooper Climax (unfortunately without the Climax motor-Richard Waddington replaced it with a straight six Holden). This was subsequently sold to Peter Bruin who restored what little was left of the original and sold it to the UK.
The MKV was sold and made way for two cars-an MER (Matamata Engineering Reisterer) sports racer and the ex Stichbury FF.
Been involved with HB Car Club since 1971 as magazine editor, Committee member and Club Captain.

Russ Cunningham
06-03-2013, 06:03 AM
Nice to see a "Gay Dog" coming out. Remember all your old cars, particularly the RF84's that Keith Beck imported. Lovely looking cars but just didn't seem to work properly. If I recall correct, one of these cars was modified substantially before Keith gave up on motor racing. Nice chap from memory. Am I correct in both cars running under Malboro colours in the UK?.

rf84
06-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Most of what you say is correct Russ. The ex Ashley Stichbury car was modified and fitted with side mounted radiators and the engine moved forward. It still has the "gravel rash" on the roll bar from the time Beck went over the finish line at Timaru upside down!
As to whether or not they are good looking cars is somewhat subjective-"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" etc etc. Ashley told me about the time their team turned up to a BBQ at McElrea's place after a race and was greeted by "Here he is-the Auto Union driver". It was also referred to as The Pterodactyl-the air vents on the engine cover look like the plates and spines on the dinosaur's back.
The spare car I have is totally original and is still in Marlboro colours except it has "Becko" in black lettering on the engine cover.
I have some beaut photos from a "Marlboro" promo day at Silverstone. Niki Lauda is posing with the F1 McLaren, Johnny Dumfries with with the F3 car and the driver of the Murray Taylor FF (who's name escapes me at the mo).