PDA

View Full Version : Photo Request: Pete Geoghegan/Rod Coppins/John Riley Mustang Engine Bay

Steve Holmes
06-05-2013, 04:13 AM
Can anyone help with this? I've had a request for period images of the first Pete Geoghegan Mustang engine bay. Can anyone help? The Mustang was raced by Geoghegan from 1965 through 1967, before being sold to Rod Coppins in New Zealand, then went to John Riley. Does anyone have period engine bay shots of this car, when it was raced by any of these three guys? Must be original period shots, not modern photos of the car as it is now.

Thanks folks.

hilstwist
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Steve. In one of my sets on the site there is one. I took it in the pits at Puke 65? the bonnet was up at the time so i was lucky! its a little dark but can be brightened up

hilstwist
06-05-2013, 03:00 PM
my bad! the one i have is of the Segedin mustang

John McKechnie
06-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Was at Bruce McLaren Trust yesterday among the many thousands of pics I saw of 68-71 , I know there were some under bonnet shots of Mustangs-but dont know specific car.

zombie289
06-06-2013, 03:28 AM
Geez Steve, I have a article on it from a 1965-66 Aussie hot rod magazine, but its BURIED somewhere in my archives... I'll attempt to dig it up..

John McKechnie
06-07-2013, 08:13 PM
JacMac asked me to post this folks-
Re Flat plane cranks, very few if any GT40's were fitted with these, thats why they went with the crossover 180° setup you see in most pics, even the INDY Ford of 255 cu in & larger variants as used by McLaren were two plane items with crossover exhaust systems.

There are pics of the Coppins car with what appears to be a crossover set of headers on the TRS site, they are in a thread titled 'The Steve Twist Collection-Jack Inwood photos' post #s 75 & 80. The thread is about page four under general discussion at moment. While not clear in the pics I think the pipes on LH bank cross under rear of pan into collector/s on RH side ( car being LH drive this would have had most room for pipes).

Im sure I have an article & pics of the engine bay for the same car being fitted with a new motor for 'Big Pete' by John Shepard in either a 'Wheels or SCW mag ' from OZ circa 1965/66/67.