PDA

View Full Version : Build Thread: HMC Plymouth Cuda

Steve Holmes
07-25-2013, 04:59 AM

If there is one thing this website lacks, its build threads. People love build threads! They love watching a car being transformed from a road car into a race car, or being restored from a rusty hulk into something beautiful and shiny once more. Given how many members here have built their own race cars, there really haven't been enough build threads on this site. So I'm going to start one myself, in the hope it'll inspire a few of you who've done this yourselves to create build threads of your own cars.

Anyway, one of the new and rapidly growing classes in New Zealand historic racing is the Historic Muscle Cars category for period correct, pre-1977 big-bore racing sedans. HMC was started in 2011, and following its first event at the New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing in January 2012, has seen rapid growth.

One of the most recent builds to get the green light for HMC is this Plymouth Cuda, being built for Andrew Sinclair. Most of the work is being done by Mike 'Bic' Anderson at Sonic Race & Machine (http://www.sonicrace.co.nz/) (Sonic is a Roaring Season sponsor also). It'll be built as a lookalike AAR Cuda, as run in the SCCA Trans-Am Championship in 1970, by Dan Gurney's All American Racers team, and driven by both Dan himself, and his young protege, Swede Savage. The big difference, however, will be under the hood. Andrew's Cuda will be running a big block Hemi! In fact, one of the original AAR Cuda's from the Trans-Am series made its way to France in 1971, and was itself fitted with a Hemi, so there is a really cool connection here.

Anyway, I'll kick off by posting a couple of photos of the Cuda as it arrived in New Zealand a few months ago.

I'll update this thread regularly as this car takes shape.

Racer Rog
07-25-2013, 06:27 AM
Thats a mean looking machine, love it
Roger

Shano
07-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Wicked. A car that's a bit different too.

Spgeti
07-25-2013, 09:03 PM
That is really going to add more flavour to an already great field of cars......

07-25-2013, 09:21 PM
certainly like the idea of a different looking car racing. Gordon Spice ran a hemi cuda in saloon car racig in the UK for a while. Car tended to understeer off at corners due to the weight of the big engine up front. Good luck with the build, I shall watch with interest

Steve Holmes
07-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Here is the first update from Bic at Sonic, explaining the early work done on the car. At the time of writing, its at the panel beaters getting some panel work done, before it returns to Sonic (http://www.sonicrace.co.nz/) again. This is actually the second Cuda the team bought, with the sale of the first car falling through:

"The first Cuda we bought, the dick with-drew it from Ebay without a reason! The second one, this one, was in Illinois, a snow state, hence the rust.

"We stripped the car out, got it soda blasted, seam-weld the whole thing, removed some unnecessary bracketry, filled all the unused holes and repaired some dodgy previous structural repairs. Add a few little braces here and there as they, as a factory car, are very flimsily stuck together. I think the core design/layout of the car/chassis is good, it just needs a bit of help structurally and suspension geometry-wise. We’re running the monster Dana 60 diff that all the stick Hemis had in them, a 120L fuel tank as the Sinclairs may do the odd enduro for a bit of fun.

"I doubt the car will ever win a race (unless Dale rigs it for us!) due to its front weight %, but it will be a nice tidy, COOL, easy to service/tune car that will smoke the bags at will".

Steve Holmes
07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
More from Bic: "Just to be clear, Keith Sinclair, Andrews dad, is the owner. He has been wanting a “TOY” for a few years now and decided at the HMC meetings (at the 2013 New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing) in January that he wanted a HMC type car. Andrew planted the Hemi Cuda seed and it went from there.

"Keith is a great guy and is like a kid in a candy store when he comes down to look over the car or open newly arrived parts box’s. Andrew – #2 car fan, (it goes Keith #1, Andrew #2, me 3, Mandy 4 -----------) makes sure I’m not running rampant, checks over invoices and helps Keith with car decisions etc. Keith will be the main driver but will share the driving duties as he pleases".

Shano
07-26-2013, 12:43 AM
I take it that Keith & Andrew Sinclair are the former powerboat racers?

Steve Holmes
07-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Yes thats right Shane.

Kiwiboss
07-26-2013, 03:22 AM
We welcome Keith into HMC(and you Andrew) this car will be one great addition to the field.

Heres a few engine bays pics form the real thing, the Craig Jackson ex Gurney Trans Am Cuda

kiwi285
07-26-2013, 07:18 AM
Fantastic news - this will really boost the class with more variety on show. It will look fantastic when it is complete and who the hell cares if it doesn't win races - just to see it there will be the icing on the cake.

Shano
07-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Tight fit, those headers - it'll take some skill to get them right (another whole post brewing about how it was done....)

Steve Holmes
08-01-2013, 11:50 PM
By the way, the 15" diameter Minilite wheels will be 10" wide at each corner, 2" up on the AAR Trans-Am cars.

Kiwiboss
08-11-2013, 09:22 AM
By the way, the 15" diameter Minilite wheels will be 10" wide at each corner, 2" up on the AAR Trans-Am cars.

The 15X10 wheels with the HMC spec Hoosier or Blue Streak will make this one TUFF looking Cuda. My recent viewing for the Moffat Mustang at Bowdens looked really good with its 15X10's alround!! way to go.

richiev8
08-12-2013, 07:57 AM
That's a great look, 10's look excellent on the front :)

Rod Grimwood
08-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Dale these people are good buggers, but be aware of your chilly bin. Looking forward to catching up with them again been a while between drinks.
If they go as hard in this as they did in the boats, will be good watching.

Andrew and Mandy have been running muscle cars for awhile and go good.

Don't worry if its like old time, The old boy will flex his muscle as well.

Can't wait to see this beast in the roar.

Steve Holmes
08-13-2013, 01:24 AM
You're right there Rod, been racing many times with the Sinclairs/Urquharts. Plenty of stamina is required!

Steve Holmes
08-13-2013, 07:20 AM
The 15X10 wheels with the HMC spec Hoosier or Blue Streak will make this one TUFF looking Cuda. My recent viewing for the Moffat Mustang at Bowdens looked really good with its 15X10's alround!! way to go.

I had to ask Dan Bowden about the Moffat Mustang recently, as I couldn't figure out why it no longer had the wide front flares it wore in period when it went from 8" wide wheels in 1969 to 10" from 1970 onwards. Turns out it currently has 8" wide wheels in the front, and 10s in the back. Looks nice!

Rod Grimwood
08-13-2013, 09:48 AM
You're right there Rod, been racing many times with the Sinclairs/Urquharts. Plenty of stamina is required!

Spent an evening with Mr Urquhart and boys from Topaz a few weeks back after boat race up here, not much changes.

George Sheweiry
08-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Hey Guys, if you need a set of 426 Hemi heads I do have a spare set for my 73 Cuda and I may be persuaded to sell one of my 3 white stripe Hemi 833 boxes that I was intending to run in Production Muscle cars. Your project looks good so far and it will be great to have some "Chrysler clowns" as the yanks say, out there.

kiwi285
08-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Fantastic offer George. That's what makes historic motorsport so enjoyable for all.

STG69
08-15-2013, 02:49 AM
Can't wait to see this car take to the track! What's the intended 1st race meeting?

There was mention it may not be competitive due to front end weight etc. As a fan that's just fine. Smoking the rear bags to correct some understeer is what we all want to see anyway. It will certainly have some attitude with the Hemi and fat feet.

Now who's up to build a lime green challenger to complete the set??

Cheers
Kyle

Steve Holmes
08-15-2013, 03:12 AM
Kyle, agreed! Winning races isn't what this car is about. Its about entertainment, both for the driver and the punters. Its hoped the car will be ready to race at the new Cromwell track in late January. I believe Andrew Sinclair (Keith's son) will race it at this event, which is a non-Historic Muscle Cars event. Keith will race it in HMC events.

Steve Holmes
08-18-2013, 04:46 AM
Latest update, with the Cuda having undergone its sheet metal work, with rust removal and fitment of new replacement rear quarters and front guards (fenders). This is from Bic, at Sonic: "Moselle’s (Moselle Panel And Paint) did a few small rust repairs to existing panels and repaired the Left-hand sill where it had seen some earlier 'action'. The next steps are: fit the engine and transmission, and mod the tunnel as required for the shifter and servicing there-of, gas and oil tank mounts, the battery and fuel system stuff in the boot, seat mounts/belt anchorages and get the cage started".

George Sheweiry
08-20-2013, 10:40 PM
The car is already built but for Central Muscle cars and is sitting in John Windelburns (poppa smurf) workshop getting finished off. It has been sitting there for two years though. Certainly looks good.Here are some photos of the real car at a vitage race meet I went to at Sears point in May this year.207772077820779
Can't wait to see this car take to the track! What's the intended 1st race meeting?

There was mention it may not be competitive due to front end weight etc. As a fan that's just fine. Smoking the rear bags to correct some understeer is what we all want to see anyway. It will certainly have some attitude with the Hemi and fat feet.

Now who's up to build a lime green challenger to complete the set??

Cheers
Kyle

STG69
08-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Hey George,

Thanks for the info. I figured someone must have built a tribute car. Just a pity it's not racing. Would be great to see it in with the Cuda running HMC. More importantly though just racing!
I've followed your thread on the new class. Fantastic to see! I hope the guys with some of the cars you'd like to see on the grid find the same level of motivation you have. Well done!

Cheers
Kyle

kiwi285
08-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Do you think we might be able to twist his arm to get it finished sooner rather than later. That car would be a great addition to any V8 field in NZ.

John McKechnie
08-21-2013, 12:36 AM
I saw this a few months ago, probably still looks the same as when George saw it . I dont think arm twisting will get it there.
When the owner is ready...........

Steve Holmes
08-21-2013, 01:01 AM
Like George said, the NZ Challenger was being built for Central Muscle Cars, not Historic Muscle Cars. Its owner bought the '65 Mustang off Richard Gatward a few years ago and has been racing that from time to time. Unless the build has had a change of direction in recent years, it won't fit HMC regs, as it has 17" wheels, big brakes, and a Nascar motor.

I believe though there is one being built in Queensland for the Australian Trans-Am series. Hopefully that'll be an Autodynamics tribute car.

fullnoise68
08-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Like George said, the NZ Challenger was being built for Central Muscle Cars, not Historic Muscle Cars. Its owner bought the '65 Mustang off Richard Gatward a few years ago and has been racing that from time to time. Unless the build has had a change of direction in recent years, it won't fit HMC regs, as it has 17" wheels, big brakes, and a Nascar motor.

I believe though there is one being built in Queensland for the Australian Trans-Am series. Hopefully that'll be an Autodynamics tribute car.

There`s actually two being built in Queensland Steve, one on either side of the fence!

Steve Holmes
08-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks Steve, will either be Autodynamics replicas?

fullnoise68
08-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Without giving too much away Steve, I believe so.....

Steve Holmes
08-21-2013, 07:35 AM
Thanks Steve, that is awesome! Autodynamics actually ran two Challengers in the 1970 Trans-Am, late in the season when Chrysler were beginning to put the pressure on them to win a race in order to keep the funding going for 1971. So technically, both the ATA Challengers could be Autodynamics replicas.

Steve Holmes
09-02-2013, 08:57 PM
Couple more update photos. She's really starting to take shape now!

Info from Bic: "I can start some serious construction now, motor and gearbox mounted, Dana 60 width defined and under construction, floor to shifter clearance etc".

kiwi285
09-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Great to see this build on the website.

Is the car still on track for its debut later this year ?

Steve Holmes
09-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Some neat before and after pics of the fabrication work Bic has done on the rear transmission and diff tunnel to clear the monstrous Dana 60 diff. He has done a great job of making it look factory. You need to study the before and after pics to pick it up, otherwise you'd probably never know.

Before:

After:

Steve Holmes
09-30-2013, 03:27 AM
OK, lots of good stuff happening here, Bic has been busy as you can see. Rollcage has been constructed, drivers seat fitment all done, battery box and dry-sump tank fitment all done. Looking good!

Kiwiboss
10-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I went to do an inspection on it Sunday and got locked out!! security gates an all, LOL

Heard that the Warkworth boat builders had been around and that Automated foils have been fitted so I have a couple of drones flying over head, watch this space for more to come!!!

Dale M(LOL, LOL)

Rod Grimwood
10-01-2013, 09:08 AM
I went to do an inspection on it Sunday and got locked out!! security gates an all, LOL

Heard that the Warkworth boat builders had been around and that Automated foils have been fitted so I have a couple of drones flying over head, watch this space for more to come!!!

Dale M(LOL, LOL)

Dale, a chilly bin is a good starter with those boys, they weaken.

Kiwiboss
10-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Dale, a chilly bin is a good starter with those boys, they weaken.

Must remember that when it comes to race day Rod!! i got the feeling you know them WELL!!!!

Dale M

Steve Holmes
10-29-2013, 03:55 AM
Folks, an update on the Cuda build. All pretty self explanatory? Look at the size of that Hemi! Roolcage work is beautiful. The wheels aren't Minilites, they're a 3-piece wheels that looks very similar.

Steve Holmes
10-29-2013, 03:58 AM

vette8
10-31-2013, 08:22 PM

A short length of D16 reinforcing rod for a shifter, a cool unique touch.

rt6pack
02-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Any updates on this monster?

Steve Holmes
02-04-2014, 11:44 PM
Any updates on this monster?

Glad you're enjoying 'em rt, here are the latest pics, in no particular order:

Steve Holmes
02-04-2014, 11:46 PM

rt6pack
02-06-2014, 03:58 AM
Thanks for the update Steve. I thought the Cuda that Woody is building for ATA was cool but this one is something else!

Steve Holmes
03-31-2014, 01:22 AM
Latest update pics from Bic, as follows:

"Hi Steve, its off now to acid dip, then a bit of light panel work & straight to paint. All the engine pieces are here, just a little romancing for a bit more power then final assembly".

Steve Holmes
03-31-2014, 01:23 AM

Steve Holmes
06-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Latest update from Bic on the Cuda. Closing in on the finish:

"Engines being dynoed early next I hope, car is primed here, I get it out all “greyed” (which is most of the car) this Thurs, then it goes back for Blue a week later. Long time/motion story but that was the best way for me & the painter to maximize production. I’ll send blue pics through soon as its done, cheers, Bic".

Steve Holmes
06-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Latest update from Bic on the Cuda. Closing in on the finish:

"Engines being dynoed early next I hope, car is primed here, I get it out all “greyed” (which is most of the car) this Thurs, then it goes back for Blue a week later. Long time/motion story but that was the best way for me & the painter to maximize production. I’ll send blue pics through soon as its done, cheers, Bic".

Steve Holmes
07-23-2014, 02:10 AM
Getting close now! The car is back from the painters, and final assembly has begun.

Shano
07-24-2014, 02:19 AM
Quality personified.

Kiwiboss
07-24-2014, 05:43 AM
Absolutely Shano, this is a hell-of a build with great quality and attention to detail!! my days of winning the race in the pits is over by the looks(buggar) have to try doing it back out on the track now but I can see the competition is heating up, its gotta be good tho.

Dale M

GD66
07-24-2014, 09:09 AM
Are we going for the blaze of colour on the bonnet ?25557

Shoreboy57
07-28-2014, 02:59 AM
Where is the "Like" button when you need it

Murray Maunder
07-28-2014, 03:04 AM

Dale tells me it will be so mate! Drool.....

Now when is that car going to the track??

Kiwiboss
07-28-2014, 05:32 AM

Watch this space team, heading the Rotorua yesterday afternoon I call in to Sonic Race and Machine to check this beast out, I was stunned at the level of construction and attention to detail, simply amazing and boy is that engine BIG.

Mike(Bic) Anderson is hard into it but is not sure when it'll be ready, certainly for the Festival and an outside chance for the Ice Breaker, and they want to test it as well. But please guys, Keith Sinclair has not raced cars for a long time and certainly not a machine like this(like giving a 5 year a loaded Magnum if you ask me) and I don't want to see any on track damage while he learns to drive it, as for the pits, I may as well give them the winners trophy now :) simply awesome.

Dale M

Murray Maunder
07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
Watch this space team, heading the Rotorua yesterday afternoon I call in to Sonic Race and Machine to check this beast out, I was stunned at the level of construction and attention to detail, simply amazing and boy is that engine BIG.

Mike(Bic) Anderson is hard into it but is not sure when it'll be ready, certainly for the Festival and an outside chance for the Ice Breaker, and they want to test it as well. But please guys, Keith Sinclair has not raced cars for a long time and certainly not a machine like this(like giving a 5 year a loaded Magnum if you ask me) and I don't want to see any on track damage while he learns to drive it, as for the pits, I may as well give them the winners trophy now :) simply awesome.

Dale M

Between the return of the Red Dawson Shelby Mustang to electric blue and this tribute to the AAR Cudas, it looks like HMC will continue to rival F5000 at the Festival of Motor Racing next year. Then there's the promised 10 Aussie TransAms joining the fun - a grid of close to 25 musclecars is not beyond the realms of possibility. I can already see in my mind, the fans standing for this spectacle - along with the huge interest in the pits where Steve, Dale and the boys will put on something for fans to appreciate close up.

Steve Holmes
07-28-2014, 09:41 PM

Yep, it is, just as pictured. The AAR cars didn't always run the orange and yellow hood stripes so I checked with Bic that they were going to do this.

seaqnmac27
07-29-2014, 05:42 AM
Two shots from Lakeside yesterday of Ian Palmer's Cuda. There would later be a Cuda shaped dent in the back of John English's Mustang.

Murray Maunder
07-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Wow, looks like another great day in the sunshine state and that Cuda looks pretty EVIL with the green eyes and that paint job.

Did you get a few more photos you can share here? How big was the Aussie TransAm field?

Another year to wait for the next TransTasman showdown at the fabulous Lakeside Raceway, I can't wait!

seaqnmac27
07-30-2014, 05:26 AM
There were 13, Murray, some very good racing in race 1 on Sunday there was a duel between John and Sean English for the last 3-4 laps. But the second was an absolute cracker, duels all through the field, unfortunately we lost Tobias Lord in the Channel 9 Camaro and Sean English, Lord went off about halfway around the carousel, while English Jnr went off at Hungry Corner then as he came back on, his exhaust was damaged and he spun at the Eastern Loop, I suspect assisted by dad, about 3 laps in that stopped the race, but on restart Ian Woodward and Craig Harris swapped the lead each of the last 3 laps. I have over 500 pics of all the racing i was at the circuit for on Sunday, plus 2 Videos. There are also a few on my partners phone which I am yet to take off.

Kiwiboss
08-03-2014, 12:10 AM
That's a BIG motor!!!

Steve Holmes
08-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Couple more.....

Kiwiboss
08-04-2014, 05:25 AM
Couple more.....

The Cuda has progressed considerably more since these pics were taken, I must say it is looking damn good!! Dale M

Terry S
03-18-2015, 03:52 AM
Any update on this?

It's been almost a year since last post.

Andrew Metford
03-18-2015, 11:56 AM
It was racing at the NZFMR back in January. Very nicely built and presented :)

Steve Holmes
03-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Sorry Terry, you are right. It made its race debut in September 2014, without all the Gurney decals. Has raced a couple more times since, now finished off with all the period correct decals as worn by the AAR cars in the 1970 Trans-Am. I will post up some more pics.