PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Australian Touring Car Championship Video

Steve Holmes
08-25-2013, 04:59 AM
Absolutely beautiful original colour video here of the 1967 Australian Touring Car Championship, held at Lakeside. This is the race Pete Geoghegan won in his brand new Mustang GTA, in its first ever event, after Norm Beechey, who'd dominated throughout, blew a tyre late on and whacked the armco in the big Chevy Nova. The video also shows some of the pre-race action, and post race function, with all the drivers and crew together.

Great to see the Mustang's of Bob Jane, Greg Cusack, the Kiwis Paul Fahey and Rod Coppins, Terry Allan's big block Camaro, Kevin Bartlett's Alfa Romeo GTA, Jim McKeown's Lotus Cortina, the Mini Cooper's of Brian Foley, Peter Manton, John French etc.

Anyway, check it out and enjoy. My thanks to Dewi Jones for making me aware of this. Just stunning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1hiNdIVbv4

fullnoise68
08-25-2013, 07:20 PM
It`s a good history video Steve, I got a copy of it when we went to the Bowdens after Lakeside. It puts into perspective why a few of us raced there last month. Norm Beecheys 63 second lap in the Nova would still have him in the top 6 at our ATA/HMC meeting.

Steve Holmes
08-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow, that is really impressive Steve. Just goes to show how good these cars were in period, and how hard they were being driven. Beechey was running soft tyres which helped produce the fast laps but which ultimately sealed his fate. Just goes to show also that historic race cars, when the rules are right, are really comparable to the cars of the period.