PDA

View Full Version : Roly

Michael Clark
10-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Roly Levis passed away yesterday afternoon in Tauranga. He had battled the big 'C' in recent months and it had been obvious that the end was near for a few weeks.

Roly was 88. In the eyes of some, he was the best driver NZ ever produced who didn't venture off to Europe. Part of the reason for that was because much of his open wheeler career happened after he'd turned 40. He was the initial king of the National Formula and then finished his last full season with his second Gold Star title with the F2 Brabham BT23C-FVA.

He was an inspiration and mentor to many younger drivers - Bill Stone was one and Laurence Brownlie tells me how much he looked up to Roly, both as a driver and an engineer. I know Graham McRae rated him highly, as did Chris Amon.

Sympathies are extended to his family - Vivien, Judi, Brendan and Ross - and his nephews, one of whom has the RAL - the car that Eoin Young saw one day in Timaru and thought to himself - 'I don't want to work in a Bank, I want to write about those things'

RIP Roly

Oldfart
10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Sad news. As Michael said, an inspiration. RIP

Shoreboy57
10-01-2013, 10:10 PM
Very sad news, another great racer lost. Thank you Michael for the words

Grant Sprague
10-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Nice words Michael, I got the news last night & had spoken to Roly at a rest home a couple weeks back , still full of dignity .
We go back a wee while , some might know I had the pleasure of Roly helping me devalope a Pre 65 mustang , HE changed it from a South Island mid feild runner to a championship winning car, changing & rebuilding just about every thing , up against Aucklands best v/8s further to that devalopement we took the car to run against the boys in the South Island & again the car out handled the best , This was Roly,s engineering & chassis skills that pushed us up the top with out him we would have struggled, during off season we played golf & pool at his home in 15th ave Tga, & re engineered the car .inbetween times . sad day ........

Robert Bailey
10-02-2013, 01:50 AM
often read about ,when i was following up about NZ Brabhams,RIP ..great times,great drivers and great formula cars.

Cooper997
10-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Sad news to hear Roly has passed.

My meeting Roly was fairly brief, but interesting for me. It was the 1st of the now bi-annual Tasman Revival's at Eastern Creek in Dec 2006 that I got to meet him. He was there with the NZ contingent of drivers, including Jim Palmer, Dennis Marwood, Kenny Smith and Bill Stone. They each signed my copy of 'The New Zealand Grand Prix Annual, 1960 -61' - mainly because it was the only NZ item I had with me that day. If memory serves me correct, he was also there with family members - two daughters??

What sticks in my mind during that meeting was both Roly and Kenny Smith taking keen interest in the front LH upright area of the then late John Dawson-Damer Lotus 25. Roly had made a repair to this area of the car when it was still raced in NZ and it was Kenny that sold J D-D the car. That day at Eastern Creek, Kenny was still well pleased that he had received $50K from J D-D, having paid $8000 for it. And wondered what it was worth as it stood before us at EC in its restored state.

What surprises me is to read Roly was 88, I simply didn't realise that 7 years ago he was in his 80's then. My condolences to Roly's family and friends.

Stephen

Michael Clark
10-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Correct Stephen, he was there with both his daughters. You've just reminded me about a photo I arranged with all the Kiwi legends - I'll find it and forward to Steve for posting...if I can find it.

Shoreboy57
10-02-2013, 11:35 PM

A great picture of Roly and Bruce McLaren, Levin 1965, from the Shell book

jamie
10-02-2013, 11:56 PM
R I P Roly. Sad to see you go you always had a word of advise and suport to me over A lot of years Jamie A

Cooper997
10-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Correct Stephen, he was there with both his daughters. You've just reminded me about a photo I arranged with all the Kiwi legends - I'll find it and forward to Steve for posting...if I can find it.

Thanks for confirming that Michael. I should have a look and see what photos I have from that Tasman Revival too.

Stephen

SPman
10-03-2013, 06:40 AM
As a young lad at the racing in the '60s, he was always a pleasure to watch and talk to. He left a lasting memory of a skilful driver and a nice chap, but, time waits for no one......so long Roly, thanks for being around.

Michael Clark
10-05-2013, 07:17 AM
Roly's funeral will be on October the 11th in Tauranga.

Steve Holmes
10-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Michael Clark asked me to post this photo he took in 2006. Pictured, left to right are: Ken Smith, Roly, George Begg, Graham McRae, Bill Stone, and Dennis Marwood.

Michael Clark
10-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks Steve - that was at Eastern Creek in December 2006. Graeme Lawrence and Jim Palmer were lurking about as well but this esteemed bunch just happened to be there!

CUSTAXIE50
10-08-2013, 12:30 AM
Last week i went to see a family friend he is only 50,he is on this dark side of life also, pissed off is not the word i am thinking of at this time.I cant do anything or help him in anyway at all, all we can do is be there for him as he goes down this road--only time will tell on how this will turn out.

Grant Sprague
10-08-2013, 01:09 AM
Last week i went to see a family friend he is only 50,he is on this dark side of life also, pissed off is not the word i am thinking of at this time.I cant do anything or help him in anyway at all, all we can do is be there for him as he goes down this road--only time will tell on how this will turn out.Custaxie50........ life throughs a curve ball at times , we seem to be [all of us ] on the path from being born to moving on , some get the short straw could happen to you or I tomorrow , I personally try not to dwell on it , as for Roly one of our friends said ;quote; ... "that damn cancer" ..... I said nothing as I do understand Roly was 88 not bad I thought for an innings , Roly swam ,played golf , etc up til about 5 yrs ago give or take approx , the only thing that slowed him down was a sore leg from motor racing accidents whist in single seaters I think there were a few , we are masters of our selves!.....old age or sickness , cancer or heart seems to be the go, a bit like a car ....feed it the right , oil, [food ], tyre pressures & attention & she will get you around the country a few times , or rev shit out of it & burn the brakes & tyres , this in my personal anology [ this is not every case senario I freely admit ] ....... but saying this it is not nice to see any one suffer sorry about yr family friend , he might just be ok with these new drugs etc good luck mate ...

CUSTAXIE50
10-08-2013, 05:05 AM
Custaxie50........ life throughs a curve ball at times , we seem to be [all of us ] on the path from being born to moving on , some get the short straw could happen to you or I tomorrow , I personally try not to dwell on it , as for Roly one of our friends said ;quote; ... "that damn cancer" ..... I said nothing as I do understand Roly was 88 not bad I thought for an innings , Roly swam ,played golf , etc up til about 5 yrs ago give or take approx , the only thing that slowed him down was a sore leg from motor racing accidents whist in single seaters I think there were a few , we are masters of our selves!.....old age or sickness , cancer or heart seems to be the go, a bit like a car ....feed it the right , oil, [food ], tyre pressures & attention & she will get you around the country a few times , or rev shit out of it & burn the brakes & tyres , this in my personal anology [ this is not every case senario I freely admit ] ....... but saying this it is not nice to see any one suffer sorry about yr family friend , he might just be ok with these new drugs etc good luck mate ... Thanks,a friend for about 30 years we have had a lot to do with his kids thats what makes it hard for my family.