PDA

View Full Version : Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

Pages : 1 [2]

khyndart in CA
10-08-2016, 09:26 PM
Michael Clark;55298]Great plate

Thanks Michael.
I have had that plate since 1976. I still have to put the New Zealand sticker on to help explain what it means over here !

(Ken H )

GD66
10-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Thanks Sean,
I have some more scratchy photos of hanging around Bay Park.
Along the back straight in October 1969 which was a fun day until the terrible incident when Barry Thomason's Brabham spun and rolled entering the straight and the roll bar caused injuries to his back and neck from which he never fully recovered.

Shocking, I was marshalling that day at the flag point on the inside entering the back straight and Thomasen's Brabham crashed right beside us, he had spun exiting the Rothmans sweeper and when he hit the earth bank on the inside it flipped and because in those days belts weren't compulsory, he started to emerge from the car as it flipped and rolled, so he was half-way out when the car landed with a thump upside down. Naturally we feared the worst so it was some relief to find he was able to be saved, but sadly he had suffered significant spinal damage. A tragedy for the young bloke but he could easily have paid the ultimate price....fortunately belts became a prerequisite shortly thereafter. I think that's me behind the Brabham's rollbar in the pic.

Terry S
10-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Thanks Sean,
I have some more scratchy photos of hanging around Bay Park.
Along the back straight in October 1969 which was a fun day until the terrible incident when Barry Thomason's Brabham spun and rolled entering the straight and the roll bar caused injuries to his back and neck from which he never fully recovered.

(Ken Hyndman photos )

There is an interesting photo you posted in the Ian "Red" Dawson thread of this car in posts #121 and 122.

http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?471-Ian-quot-Red-quot-Dawson/page7&highlight=dawson

Must have been after they removed Thomason. As you note car does not look that badly damaged. His injuries came from not being strapped in, rather than car damage

khyndart in CA
10-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Here are two photos from that fateful race.
The first shows Graeme Lawrence in his Ferrari and Roly Levis in his Brabham leading the field toward a rolling start.
Barry Thomasen in his Brabham is at the back of the field.

This shows the scene shortly after the Thomasen crash as Graham McRae comes by in his FM 2 Begg-Chevrolet.

GD66, are you in this photo ?

(Ken Hyndman photos )

khyndart in CA
10-10-2016, 10:41 PM
This is a photo I took at Bay Park but I need to know of who (apart from Red Dawson ) and when was this event please.
Thanks in advance.

( Ken Hyndman photo. )

seaqnmac27
10-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Guessing, but Coppins in the Firebird and John Riley in the Mustang behind.

khyndart in CA
10-12-2016, 11:57 PM
GD66
I do not know why I took this photo of the flag marshals at Bay Park.October 1969.
It looks like everyone has left except you dedicated guys. Are you in this photo ?

(Ken Hyndman photo )

khyndart in CA
10-13-2016, 12:38 AM
Steve,
When I saw this article about the 1964 Ford Fairlane 500 Thunderbolt, I thought of your 64 Galaxie 500.
This issue will be a free read soon. Hope you get to enjoy.

http://rpm-mag.com/2016/09/5609/

( Ken Hyndman )

Milan Fistonic
10-13-2016, 03:41 AM
Hi Ken. Have you seen this?

khyndart in CA
10-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Milan,
Thanks for this article. I do not know Alan. We are possibly distant relatives. I know one had a book store in Dunedin so that would be the side of the family that achieved something in life. Perhaps, thanks to you, we will make contact and sort out the family tree.
Cheers,
Ken Hyndman.
(The dreamer who thought he would be back to drive here one day. 47 years later and he still is a dreamer ! )
Bay Park October 1969.

GD66
10-13-2016, 12:13 PM
GD66
I do not know why I took this photo of the flag marshals at Bay Park.October 1969.
It looks like everyone has left except you dedicated guys. Are you in this photo ?

No mate. That's actually the next marshal's post in advance, halfway down the back straight, you can see the quarter-mile straight, the back of the pits and the right-hander in the background. I did flag at this spot for that year's F5000 Christmas meeting, and stood trackside with Lawrence, Goth, Grable and co whistling beneath my fluttering blue flag. OK I might have had jandals on my feet, but I had the mandatory White Coat...

khyndart in CA
10-13-2016, 08:35 PM
Milan,
Thanks for this article. I do not know Alan. We are possibly distant relatives. I know one had a book store in Dunedin so that would be the side of the family that achieved something in life. Perhaps, thanks to you, we will make contact and sort out the family tree.
Cheers,
Ken Hyndman.
(The dreamer who thought he would be back to drive here one day. 47 years later and he still is a dreamer ! )
Bay Park October 1969.

This is what it looks like today. Is that progress ? I am glad I came along when I did.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
10-20-2016, 08:20 PM
I sometimes find an old photo that seems pretty blurred at the bottom of the shoe box# 2 and it will bring back a memory.
This was at Oran Park, NSW on August 9, 1970 and it shows the field on the opening lap of this touring car race.
I think I have the correct names in order.
Bill Brown in his Porsche 911 S, Ian (Pete) Geoghegan in his Mustang, Jim McKeown in his Porsche 911S, Brian Foley in his Porsche 911 S
followed by Allan Moffat in his Mustang plus others unidentified.
(Ken Hyndman photo )
That was a very good field which made for a very good race as described at this site.

http://www.classicmotorsport.com.au/photo_album/0416_2.html#previous-photo

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
01-10-2017, 01:32 AM
During my posting on the Damon Hill thread I kept thinking I had taken a photo of Graham Hill at Long Beach talking to my friend Graham Donaldson and getting Graham to come on board the Hill Embassy Team and be a mechanic for Tony Brise in the 1976 Formula One Season. After the US 1975 F5000 season Graham D. went back to England and looked for a place to live while the Hill team went testing in France. That is why he was not on that fateful flight.
Anyway this weekend I was cleaning out and came across some old photos of a house we had in San Diego and stuck at the bottom of the envelope were some negatives that I have attempted to develop. So here we go from the Hyndman archives.
First the photo I took of Graham Hill talking to Graham Donaldson during practice for the Inaugural Long Beach Grand Prix in Sept. 1975.
(Ken Hyndman photo )

(Ken Hyndman photo )
Teddy Yip, Julian Randles and Graham Donaldson prepare good old # 64 to go out for practice.
Tony Brise enjoyed driving this Lola T 332 chassis # HU37. As I have mentioned it was not a pretty car but it was fast with Tony driving.

(Ken Hyndman photo )
Tony put on a great drive in # 64 but a half shaft broke at this corner on the next lap.
Then it was onto Laguna Seca and a month later I would meet up with the Theodore Racing team
again at Riverside. October 26. 1975.

khyndart in CA
01-10-2017, 02:52 AM
Riverside International Raceway. October 25/26th 1975.
(Ken Hyndman photo )
Practice session for Tony and he qualified 4 th.

(Ken Hyndman photo.)
Mario Andretti standing on the right watching as team mate Al Unser prepares to qualify in Viceroy Lola t332 # 51.
This is the way they finished the main F5000 race with Mario easily winning from Al Unser.

(Hyndman photo)
Here is the Theodore Team with Tony Brise talking to Julian Randles and Graham Donaldson and Hyndman on the right.
Just before Tony's last drive and Hyndman's last job as a race mechanic. (Hey, at least I gave it a try and got it off my "bucket list" )

Ken Hyndman photo ..
Tony Brise about to start the race at Riverside as owner Teddy Yip looks at his watch.
(This is the last of my lost negatives but I am glad I could share them as they were almost thrown away !)

khyndart in CA
01-11-2017, 12:05 AM
This was the qualifying field for the Riverside F 5000 race in October 1975.
Formula 5000 did not get much better than this in the US.;

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
01-11-2017, 12:26 AM
Plus that weekend, there were two exciting IROC races (International Race Of Champions ) where all the drivers had the same Roger Penske team prepared Camaros and they would all go out and just hammer them ! The US drivers had an advantage when it came to drafting but the others were much braver through the corners. It was all good stuff to watch.
This was the field for that year.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
01-11-2017, 01:02 AM
Some memories of Tony Brise.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/history/f1/tony-brise-britains-lost-champion

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/remembering-tony-brise-40-years-on/

(Ken Hyndman,)

khyndart in CA
01-17-2017, 12:34 AM
We have not moved since 1979 and when I climbed into the garage rafters I found a box of memorabilia clothing and amongst it all was the Theodore Team racing shirt that I had last worn that day at Riverside over 41 years ago. (Please do not laugh.)
My wife was surprised to see how much the shirt had SHRUNK !

Riverside. October 1975.

Los Olivos. CA. Jan. 2017

SPman
01-17-2017, 03:56 AM

Surprising that.....all my old stuff has shrunk in a similar way........must be global warming.!

khyndart in CA
01-26-2017, 11:30 PM
I went to Australia in 1967 for my cousin's wedding. I think the return flight was 27 pounds (Before NZ went decimal ). I was making 5 pound a week so that seemed like a good amount of money back then for an apprentice "grease monkey."
I remember coming across this GM dealership I think near Kings Cross and there on display was this beautiful Camaro.
I thought it was a great looking car and always wanted one.
I have a question; were these sold at GM outlets separate from Holden dealerships or did they mingle ?
The Torana poster in the window reminds me of those commercials back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJ3Nj60sBE

(Ken Hyndman )

John McKechnie
01-27-2017, 01:31 AM
Good thing you saw this first and took the pic, after Kings Cross, things may have looked different.
The things you could get there for 5 bob.
Adrian Dobbe should love the HB segment- I see Gilda is also starring here...........
Sign writing shows- Pontiac, Chevrolet and Viva....should be GM

Steve Holmes
01-27-2017, 03:13 AM

I LOVE this photo Ken!

Grant Sprague
01-27-2017, 08:17 AM
Ken , this a beaut bit of history , and a beaut story , good to see you can suck the tummy in next to the cooper lol....all great fun yr a true champion for sharing these & sum hi to wifeeeee... Grant & Kylie

khyndart in CA
01-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Yes, thank you Steve.
These photos certainly bring back a lot of memories of what might have been.

Ken

khyndart in CA
01-27-2017, 08:58 AM
Good thing you saw this first and took the pic, after Kings Cross, things may have looked different.
The things you could get there for 5 bob.
Adrian Dobbe should love the HB segment- I see Gilda is also starring here...........
Sign writing shows- Pontiac, Chevrolet and Viva....should be GM

So John,
If the GM dealer has a Torana advertisement in the window did the Holden dealer have a Camaro / GM advertisement at their showroom ?

(Ken H)

John McKechnie
01-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Ken- at that time HB Torana would be a new model, and so a large poster to announce this. Viva was well established, HA for 3 years.
HOWEVER....I am not an Aussie expert, so lets wait for those who really know.
Nice parquet flooring.

Allan
01-27-2017, 08:10 PM
Ken- Half the US soldiers I ran into in Vietnam in 1967 were going home to buy a Camaro. Can't recall one that was going to buy a Mustang.
Allan
Just an interesting note, some of them were still too young to own a car in the state in which they lived.

Jerry Entin
02-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Carmen Entin with fan and Gordon Calhoun of Goodyear tires and Jerry Entin
working on the car are Graham Donaldson and Kerry Agapiou and Julian Randles with Sid Taylor on the other side.

Paul B
02-19-2018, 07:52 AM
We have not moved since 1979 and when I climbed into the garage rafters I found a box of memorabilia clothing and amongst it all was the Theodore Team racing shirt that I had last worn that day at Riverside over 41 years ago. (Please do not laugh.)

Riverside. October 1975.

Los Olivos. CA. Jan. 2017

Hi Ken,
I have found the same problem with 30+ year old clothing but then I found, like you, that I have developed better abs over that time!

Roger Dowding
02-20-2018, 06:27 AM
Hi Ken,
I have found the same problem with 30+ year old clothing but then I found, like you, that I have developed better abs over that time!

Brilliant stuff Guys, my oldest shirt is a 1990 Austin Healey meeting in the USA, " Conclave 90 ",given to me and still worn with pride
Here in Queensland in 2016 the AH Club of Queensland Concours - show and shine

ERC
02-20-2018, 07:06 AM
Hi Ken,
My Brut bucket hat from the 1970's still fits as does my NSCC (UK) tie of the same vintage...

khyndart in CA
02-28-2018, 11:28 PM
Carmen Entin with fan and Gordon Calhoun of Goodyear tires and Jerry Entin
working on the car are Graham Donaldson and Kerry Agapiou and Julian Randles with Sid Taylor on the other side.

If you look closely at Graham Donaldson at the lower left adjusting the right front wing, you will see the top of a head and a left fore arm under his nose. That would be me ! September 1975.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-23-2019, 09:04 AM
On another thread I looked up some information about Jody Scheckter and that reminded me of how this thread started with the 1973 British Grand Prix where I had been sent by my boss at Trojan Racing to deliver some Hewland components to Sid Taylor for his Trojan F 5000 T101 that Jody was driving in the 1973 US F5000 Championship.
At Silverstone, Scheckter was the exciting new driver for the McLaren Team in his M23/03 # 30. I arrived on practice day and all was well and the next day he triggered a massive crash and was a villain that every other team manager wanted to "scalp"! I got to stand above the pit area and took some photos that I wanted to show again as my thoughts go out to Jody and his family at the recent loss of his 21 year old daughter due to various sad issues.

I stood in the gallery above the pits and I was just out of view of this photo to the right.

(Ken Hyndman photo.)
Practice day at Silverstone. 1973. Phil Kerr,(L) Jody Scheckter getting suggestions from Jackie Stewart.
One day later Scheckter caused his infamous crash right along the wall and track in the background !
Check my photo and see the photo from the Motor Magazine.

Do read this coverage of the 1973 British GP.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/august-1973/25/rac-british-grand-prix-momentous-occasion

Sid Taylor (L) and Jody Scheckter(R) watch Jackie Stewart drive into the Silverstone pits. July 1973.
(Ken Hyndman photo.)

khyndart in CA
12-23-2019, 10:38 PM
The Trojan T101 / 103 was the car I took the Hewland parts for to Silverstone as the car was being driven then in the US.
The first time it came out was at Brand Hatch in March 1973 and Jody did not push it too hard as he had McLaren commitments for the Race of Champions that weekend.
This photo shows my boss Robert Redford in the dark suit walking alongside the super mechanic, Ron Bennett, for Sid Taylor in the Brands Hatch paddock area and the Trojan T101 / 103 at it's debut March 1973.

With Jody Scheckter driving this Trojan went on to be very successful in the 1973 US F 5000 season winning 3 of the first 4 races and coming 2nd in the other. We were all excited for the future at Trojan Racing but the 73 season was to be the last winning season and as I already noted they did not achieve any success after I left !

In Old racing cars.com it shows that this Trojan T 101 has had quite a history of being cut up and altered although in recent "For Sale" ads
it looks remarkably good.
From Oldracingcars.com;
" Trojan T101

Built for 1973 season. Jerry Entin and Sid Taylor for Jody Scheckter UK 1973 (two races) and US 1973 (three wins and one second in the first four races; crashed in practice at Watkins Glen and repaired at Trojan works; thereafter used at R6 Elkhart Lake and R9 Seattle; also for Sam Posey in the heat at R7 Road Atlanta and Steve Durst at R8 Pocono. Scheckter bought a Lola T330 with his winnings after Elkhart Lake allowing him to add a win and a third and to win the series. The Trojan was returned to UK with Syd Taylor and advertised through to August 1974.

The next part of this car's life is something of a puzzle. It is next seen with Jon Bradburn in 1981 when it would have been the spare monocoque he advertised with 102 and it would appear therefore that it had traveled with its sister car 102 via Damien Magee and Jim Kelly. With F5000 having finished and having even fallen out of fashion for sprints and hillclimbs, Bradburn was unable sell the car and it was eventually stripped and sold to Anthony Taylor. Taylor continued to part out the car and even removed the bulkheads in order to build a special. Simon Hadfield recalls seeing it about 1990/92 when it was just a cut about monocoque but still had Scheckter's Winston Tires livery on the remaining skins. It was finally sold to Othmar von Diemar (Cologne, Germany) about 1997 and slowly restored by Peter Denty. It was initially raced c2001 in dark blue livery but was put into Jody Scheckter colours over the winter for the 2002 season. Sold in late 2010 via James Hanson of Speedmaster to Mike Sidgwick (Lancashire, UK). Raced in white Winston livery at Oulton Park June 2011. Raced by Sidgwick in HSCC events in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Also raced by Sidgwick in F5000 Tasman Revival races in early 2017.

Driven by: Jody Scheckter, Sam Posey and Steve Durst. First race: Brands Hatch (UK R1), 17 Mar 1973. Total of 10 recorded races. "

Recently for sale.
https://collectorscarworld.com/listings/1973-chevrolet-trojan-t-101/

When I first started at Trojan I snapped some photos not realizing then that they would be used as in this "Primotipo" article.
It was hard to believe that 10 years earlier in 1963 I was a complete little nerd who had had a knee operation, appendix removed and just lost my father and a wall flower at all the school dances etc. etc.. Now in 1973, I had met the beautiful Californian woman who was to become my wife, traveled around the globe and had a job where I could watch and meet race drivers I had only read about before. All my school books were filled with motor racing art and now I was living a dream.I was very blessed then and I still am. (Still the little nerd !)

An interesting read here;
https://primotipo.com/2018/03/26/jodys-mclaren-m21-and-trojan-t101/

Trojan Racing workshop. October 1972.
(Ken Hyndman photo.) Note, Jody Scheckter McLaren M21 body panel in foreground.

(Ken Hyndman.)

Roger Dowding
12-24-2019, 05:45 AM
Just to hijack the thread and get another post - trying to catch up Ken H. at 2657 - am a couple of Hundred away..

Merry Christmas Mate !! ..

khyndart in CA
02-15-2021, 09:01 AM
it is a lonely life over here but I get my second Covid shot next week so perhaps my leash will be lengthened a little.
You haven't got rid of me yet !
At the moment I just sit out in the garage with the Mini and we watch old race movies and the Daytona 500 today together.
When things get really rough I can take it out on the punching bag !

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
02-16-2021, 01:28 AM
Daytona was, I hear, a smashing race...

khyndart in CA
02-16-2021, 06:53 AM
Ray,
It was a rough race at Daytona due to crazy driving.

And a terrible highway mess in Texas due to ice and crazy driving.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
02-17-2021, 08:42 AM
Speaking of driving skills or the lack of !

Thanks to Nigel Watts kindly sending me photos of Kiwitahi and surrounds, I can share where I first drove even though the scenery was a bit greener then than at present.
Our home was on the other side of the brown, round Maori fortress hill, in the centre, our farm boundary line went over it.
Also our quarry hill used to be off to the right but is now a large hole in the landscape.

I would wend/ speed my way towards the Kiwitahi School and either turn toward Morrinsville and pass the Kiwitahi Hall, a place where I was ignored or spurned many times at the local dances and events and had to travel far away before I could find someone who could laugh at my pathetic humour and put up with my presence.

(Nigel Watts photos )
Or I would turn off in the other direction and drive through the Scotsman Valley and thick Waikato fogs as I commuted each day to Te Rapa to work for Herbie Dyke at Fairview Motors in my Mk 1 Escort during 1971.
(That commute prepared me for some of the commuting I have done over here.)

(Thanks Nigel for the photos as they revived many memories.)
Ken

khyndart in CA
02-17-2021, 08:53 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to see this book (That I had and lost somewhere many years ago) is back in print again.
With the original cover design.

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
02-17-2021, 11:57 PM
Speaking of driving skills or the lack of !

Thanks to Nigel Watts kindly sending me photos of Kiwitahi and surrounds, I can share where I first drove even though the scenery was a bit greener then than at present.
Our home was on the other side of the brown, round Maori fortress hill, in the centre, our farm boundary line went over it.
Also our quarry hill used to be off to the right but is now a large hole in the landscape.

I would wend/ speed my way towards the Kiwitahi School and either turn toward Morrinsville and pass the Kiwitahi Hall, a place where I was ignored or spurned many times at the local dances and events and had to travel far away before I could find someone who could laugh at my pathetic humour and put up with my presence.

(Nigel Watts photos )
Or I would turn off in the other direction and drive through the Scotsman Valley and thick Waikato fogs as I commuted each day to Te Rapa to work for Herbie Dyke at Fairview Motors in my Mk 1 Escort during 1971.
(That commute prepared me for some of the commuting I have done over here.)

(Thanks Nigel for the photos as they revived many memories.)
Ken

Thanks too, from me, for the photos Nigel, as I was asked by Ken to take some recently and I failed to do so.
Cheers
Roger.
Remember seeing that Hall, but not sure if this trip 28th December 2020 or the previous one 26 December 2019.

khyndart in CA
06-10-2023, 07:51 AM
It is with great sadness that I am returning to NZ on Tuesday to honor my dear brother John, who passed away last weekend after a horrible battle with prostrate cancer and resulting sepsis issues.
John was the one who introduced me to racing at a very young age and after Dad died in 1963 he took me to race events from Pukekohe to hillclimbs at Otorohanga and every track in between.He was a straight shooter and was his own boss for almost 60 years.
He did try racing in a Mini Cooper but after rolling it at the Pukekohe Esses he decided to step aside and follow all types of racing more peacefully instead. I could call him any time and he was so far ahead of me on the happenings in racing.
I will miss him a great deal. His family have been magnificent as they have seen this tough man rapidly decline.
May you rest in peace dear brother.
Your little "bro" Ken.

His last race at Pukekohe.

(Next to Rod Millen's Hillman Husky)

John's Mini Cooper the day before it went to Pukekohe. November 1970.

Ken

Roger Dowding
06-14-2023, 05:47 AM
My thoughts are with you Ken H ...

Must have seen your brother Race that Mini and other cars ..

Will mention to my neighbour another John who attended School with John at Kiwitahi, as you already know - you sent me a copy of the School List from the time.

Take care my friend,

Roger ..

Ray Bell
06-14-2023, 08:20 AM
My condolences, Ken...

I also lost a brother, albeit a younger brother, who died at just 59 almost 15 years ago. Cancer again, Glyobastoma Multiform, which prevented him getting on with his racing as planned after he gave up rallying. He was racing HQ Holdens for a while but had got into a Falcon in the 6-cyl class for just Falcons and Commodores, I can't remember the name of it. Pretty much dead now.

There's always good reason to miss such a person, especially when you've generally had similar interests. I hope your visit to the Shaky Isles goes well and you catch up with a lot of old friends.

Roger Dowding
06-15-2023, 12:01 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to see this book (That I had and lost somewhere many years ago) is back in print again.
With the original cover design.

(Ken H)

Ken H,

I recently was given a New Edition / Copy of that book " From The Cockpit " by my Cousin John Dowding, son of Eddie Dowding - of NSCC in the early years 1942 on ..

Good to have it in your collection.

Cheers

Roger..

Roger Dowding
06-16-2023, 03:01 AM
Ken H,
just called to say a quick Hello, as is staying near " Omokoroa " - a brief chat, good to see you, and meet finally..

Take Care and Safe Travels Ken,

khyndart in CA
01-02-2024, 01:55 AM
January 1st 2024.
It is 10 years this month since you all have had to put up with my "rambling on". (Oxford dictionary meaning: To talk or write at length in a confused or inconsequential way.) Thank you all for letting me do that and especially to Steve Holmes for getting me started.
(I didn't have a clue on how to make a photo 185 KB !)
But Ray Green has brought up a very good point with what do I do with all my "motoring stuff" as either my memory or my mortal soul will not be here forever and I don't know now since my brother passed if any family member would care if all went as Ray states;" dumped in a skip instead of going to good homes!"
I have many books and magazines that have followed me around the world but it is the autographed items that I most treasure and selfishly don't want to give up yet, perhaps I may have a grandchild that may be interested one day.

Examples of my autographs; Stirling Moss, Denis Hulme, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Jackie Stewart, Brian Redman, Howden Ganley, Derek Bell, Ove Andersson, Vic Elford, Dan Gurney, Parnelli Jones, Andy Granatelli, Bobby Rahal, Johnny Rutherford Al and Bobby Unser.
Example of Stirling Moss autograph in my scrapbook, of winning drive at Ardmore January 1962. NZGP. In the rain.

So if any of you hear of my demise, please contact my family members either in the US or NZ and tell them not to throw my "stuff" away as there is some "Gold" amongst those old shoe boxes etc. !

Happy New Year to you all.

Ken H

Roger Dowding
01-02-2024, 03:50 AM
Happy New Year,
Ken h, and all of you on TRS, both members and visitors

" tell them not to throw my "stuff" away as there is some "Gold" amongst those old shoe boxes etc. ! "

Have the same issue here in Omokoroa, my stuff is in various wine boxes - cardboard ones - old magazines, two big storage boxes of my treasures, old photos and special magazines, Programmes, Sales brochures, then the 400 plus, model collection in cabinets [ some in wooden wine boxes ] and the extra still in their boxes in boxes in the ceiling and the cabinet of books - only about 50 of them, and the tin signs, a few number plates et al.

My son has an interest in cars [ some of the models ] but not in much of the other stuff. Hopefully I will be able to organise the " stuff " before it becomes a problem for others, meanwhile just like looking at it all..

One of the " wooden wine boxes "

Cheers

Roger

khyndart in CA
01-18-2024, 09:21 AM
It is Wednesday evening Jan. 17th and for the last few years except for Covid cancellations, I have been winging my way back to NZ at this time to visit family and friends and to attend the Taupo Historic GP meet.
That is not going to happen for me this year but I hope those that do attend have a wonderful and safe weekend of racing and fellowship and know I am thinking of the great folks I have met over the years and wish I could be with you.
Please post all the action plus paddock and pit pics etc.
Cheers,
Ken H.

https://www.taupomp.co.nz/events/taupo-historic-gp-2024