PDA

View Full Version : Photos: The Ken Hyndman Collection

Pages : [1] 2

Steve Holmes
01-14-2014, 07:23 AM

Ken Hyndman joined The Roaring Season in late 2013. Upon joining, he sent me this wonderful message:

"I grew up in the Morrinsville, New Zealand, area during the days of Dennis Marwood, Bryan Innes and Spinner Black etc. Great memories. Went to England in 1972 and got a job working on Hewland transmissions at Trojan Works.
A wonderful experience with Can Am and F5000 cars and drivers and we were also the workshop for Suzuki of GB and could go to bike races to help Barry Sheene in his early days. I used to go to races with Patrick Head in my Morris Minor as neither of us had any money in those days !

"I left when the fuel crunch slowed things at the end of 1973 and came to California and married and remain here. I spent one month in 1975 helping my good friend Graham Donaldson on the Teddy Yip team with Sid Taylor and Tony Brise as the brilliant driver in the T330 as we did the Long Beach, Laguna Seca and Riverside F5000 races before Tony sadly lost his life with Graham Hill a few weeks later. I have just followed racing since.

Thank you for this site.

I have some photos to share from back then if you are interested".

Interested? Absolutely! I'm hoping Ken will share not only his images from his time in motor racing, but also his stories. He has already sent me an interesting collection of the photos he has taken, which I'll be posting here. The first batch of these are from the 1973 British Grand Prix, and they're just beautiful!

Ken takes up the story:

"I had the 'awful' task of taking some transmission parts to Sid Taylor from our Trojan shop to be put in Jody Scheckter's F5000 T101 before it was sent to the States. That let me in so I could watch from above the McLaren (for whom Scheckter was driving this weekend) pit while the action went on below. I only had a 24 capacity 35 mm film in my camera so I tried to make the most of what I could".

Ken has provided a description to go with many of his photos, so I'll post that description with each, as this really helps the photos tell the story.

Enjoy!

Steve Holmes
01-14-2014, 07:26 AM
"This photo shows Jody talking to Jackie after Jackie almost lost it coming out of Woodcote corner.
24 hours later Jody did lose it in a huge crash that wiped out 1/2 the field!"

Steve Holmes
01-14-2014, 07:28 AM
"This photo shows Teddy Mayer with his back to Peter Revson watching Emerson Fittipaldi. Peter wins the F1 race and finds out on the Monday he is being replaced for the 1974 season by Emerson Fittipaldi".

kiwi285
01-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Seeing these photos (and hopefully more) has convinced me that I need to complete one of the items on my bucket list and that is to see a race of the historic 3 litre F1 from the mid 60's to the late 70's. There seems to be a few on the go so I will start making some plans. Where is my Lotto ticket LOL

Steve Holmes
01-14-2014, 10:44 PM
"As I said I went to the track with parts from Trojan Works for Sid Taylor’s F5000 T101 that was driven by Jody Schechkter. Jody was the exciting new boy in F1 and on the practice day everyone was clamoring to see him in action. 24 hours later he had caused havoc in a huge crash right in front of where these photos were taken which wiped out about 9 cars and everyone hated Jody’s driving style!

"This Grand Prix was also the only one I think where 4 Kiwis qualified to start; Denis Hulme, Howden Ganley, Chris Amon and Graham McRae in a drive for Williams".

Rod Grimwood
01-15-2014, 02:54 AM
See Peter Bruin standing in front of Yardley car

khyndart in CA
01-16-2014, 08:54 AM
This photo is of Jackie Ickx being pushed along pit road in the disappointing Ferrari 312B3.
He was so upset with it that he refused to drive it again until the team could make it more
competitive ! He drove for McLaren and the Iso Marlboro in 1973 while he waited. Can you imagine
that happening today in F1 !

Shoreboy57
01-16-2014, 08:29 PM
This photo is of Jackie Ickx being pushed along pit road in the disappointing Ferrari 312B3.
He was so upset with it that he refused to drive it again until the team could make it more
competitive ! He drove for McLaren and the Iso Marlboro while he waited. Can you imagine
that happening today in F1 !

Enzo never took criticism of his cars well

Steve Holmes
01-17-2014, 04:33 AM

Steve Holmes
01-17-2014, 04:39 AM
"That is the boxer Joe Bugner walking though the pits and talking to Jackie Stewart (note the height difference!)"

Shoreboy57
01-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Wonderful atmosphere. Before Uncle Bernie got his hands on F1

kiwi285
01-20-2014, 09:09 PM
The shot of Jackie Stewart sitting beside Jody Scheckter and talking about a whoopsie that he had reminds me so much of what Motorsport was like before the current crap started taking over. Can you imagine the egos letting any of them do this now - they are all so full of themselves and in all probability no better than anyone else.

Give me those days anytime to the modern crap - I wouldn't go out the back door to see modern racing and I don't even bother watching TV when it is shown.

Steve Holmes
01-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Shano
01-21-2014, 02:06 AM
Just working on a coupla DFVs in the carpark. As you do (or did).

01-21-2014, 03:30 AM
just replacing a DFV would be a better description i think

Oldfart
01-21-2014, 05:47 AM
just replacing a DFV would be a better description i think

Still not the antiseptic conditions required today by their descendants! And someone gets to see it rather than hidden away from the enthusiasts who keep the sport alive.

kiwi285
01-21-2014, 07:58 PM
I am 100% sure these people wouldn't know or care who keeps them in business. Its all about them and their big secret squirrel stuff - the fans are a pain in the ass who should be kept right away form them. Drivers, motor homes should be banned and the wan..rs made to front up to the paying public

Rod Grimwood
01-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Mike, drop in to pit after racing on weekend and I will show you some of our 'secret' stuff, bring a nice big glass. F5000 pits always open to public, it is hard to consentrate on what you are doing sometimes with the sights, but we get by. Thats the glory of 'classic' meetings, all welcome and wander in for a chat.

khyndart in CA
01-24-2014, 12:57 AM
Hulme's M 23 had an oil leak after practice so here are the mechanics hard at work taking out the DFV and putting in the race engine which is sitting right in front in full view for all of us to watch. An engine change today would mean going to the back of the grid but not back in 1973. Note how the rear wing is propped up against the Tyrrell transporter beneath Francios Cevert's name ! All the teams had the same work conditions. I would like to get the names of the mechanics as I admired how they got 3 McLarens on the first 3 rows of the starting grid that day. (That guy in the white t-shirt seems to be in most of my photos !)
from Ken Hyndman.

John A
01-27-2014, 12:29 AM
The McLaren indycar team had a sponsor whose name was Boyd Jeffries and I believe the guy in the white t-shirt was his son who spent the summer with the F1 team. I cannot remember his name.

John A
01-27-2014, 12:40 AM
Jody's McLaren after his first lap shunt.

Michael Clark
01-27-2014, 12:47 AM
Boyd Jefferies had a son Stephen who was killed in a motorcycle accident in 1981.

Steve Holmes
02-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Absolutely beautiful shot here of the Tyrrell crew working on their cars. Even though there is a temporary fence to keep the race fans at bay, by todays standards they are still very close, and get to see everything that is going on. And its grass-roots stuff by todays standards. Note the make-shift seat the nearest crew member is using. Just fantastic!

Grant Sprague
02-04-2014, 07:53 AM
Love yr words ..... you either have it or you don't ..... hey had the old care taker in at work the other day from Bay Park [days] rabbit... any way he mentioned when

Denny got back from UK etc & running the truck , he [Denny] helped Pete clean up the embankment on the northern side [pis head stand]on the new ride on only to Roll it on the turn down to the front straight ...... Hey we are all human .... but some are just a wee bit better at doing things than others ... other wise it would be a boring life & does not mean you are a better person lol

Grant Sprague
02-04-2014, 07:56 AM
check out the hammer by his foot , did not think they were a tool to use on F1.... especially a ball pane lol

GD66
02-04-2014, 01:23 PM
In his defence, it does look like a Nu-Tool soft hammer...:)

Grant Sprague
02-04-2014, 06:19 PM
In his defence, it does look like a Nu-Tool soft hammer...:)Well u could be right , I have been known to be wrong ;)

Steve Holmes
02-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Love yr words ..... you either have it or you don't ..... hey had the old care taker in at work the other day from Bay Park [days] rabbit... any way he mentioned when

Denny got back from UK etc & running the truck , he [Denny] helped Pete clean up the embankment on the northern side [pis head stand]on the new ride on only to Roll it on the turn down to the front straight ...... Hey we are all human .... but some are just a wee bit better at doing things than others ... other wise it would be a boring life & does not mean you are a better person lol

Thanks Grant, I appreciate your comments.

Steve Holmes
02-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Ronnie Peterson rumbles past the McLaren pit in the Lotus.

khyndart in CA
02-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Ronnie Peterson waited to the very end of the practice session before going out and doing 3 flying laps.
Each time he came through the Woodcote Corner just before the pits the tail was way out and he was
right on the limit. It was great to watch and it got him pole position by .2 sec over Hulme and Revson.
This photo shows him on the way out to begin his last minute attempt at pole position.
Friday 13th July 1973.
(Ken Hyndman)

khyndart in CA
02-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Jody's car was chassis # M 23 / 3. It was only driven by Jody Scheckter in the 1973 French GP and the 1973 British GP. ( Crashed on lap 2 )
It never raced again.
I believe it has been restored but I am not sure where it is today.
Does anyone know where and how it is at this time ?

Steve Holmes
02-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Thanks Ken, great info.

Steve Holmes
02-06-2014, 11:53 PM
Now for the Lotus camp.

khyndart in CA
02-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Now for the Lotus camp.

How times have changed ! I started talking to this mechanic (I think it was Bob Dance) He said they may need more mechanics at Lotus. I wrote to them and a month later I drove up to Hethel and was interviewed by Peter Warr and after lunch he showed me around the Lotus race shop. Ronnie Peterson came by for a fitting into his Formula 2 car.
Starting pay was forty pounds a week and all travel expenses covered ! The guys told me that Norwich is one of the coldest places in England in the winter and most of the pay would go to heating the flat !
I was in awe knowing how Peter had been manager to Jim Clark, Graham Hill etc.but was amazed at how ancient most of the buildings and work conditions were. I had it better in Morrinsville !
Well, I did not get the position but it certainly was an experience I would not forget.
(Ken Hyndman)

Steve Holmes
02-08-2014, 12:04 AM
Wow, brilliant description Ken! Many thanks.

Steve Holmes
02-10-2014, 08:26 AM

khyndart in CA
02-10-2014, 10:14 PM

Practice Day. Silverstone. 1973 British Grand Prix.
This shows Jo Ramirez, the Tyrrell crew chief, standing on the railing, waiting for Francois Cevert to come through. Cevert's fastest lap that day was 1 min 17.3 seconds as is shown on the pit board by Jo's feet.

Also note Jackie Stewart surrounded by many people.

In contrast Denny Hulme sits alone in his McLaren M 23 as he preferred and if anyone that he did not approve of,interrupted, they would soon find out why his nickname was " The Bear" !

( Ken Hyndman )

seaqnmac27
02-11-2014, 12:31 AM
You know, the striking thing to me is the number of people in the pit lane, with no speed limits.

Steve Holmes
02-11-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks again Ken.

Steve Holmes
02-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Steve Holmes
02-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Ferrari pit? ^^

khyndart in CA
02-11-2014, 05:58 PM

These poor hapless Ferrari mechanics were hard at it changing the 3 litre Flat 12 engine once again.
1973 was one of Ferraris worst years in Formula One. It finished fourth in one race only !
This engine and 6 speed transmission were too underpowered and unreliable.
As I mentioned earlier, Jackie Ickx, left the team after this race to drive for others until Ferrari could get it's act together.

Note the sophisticated equipment (block and tackle !) and custom fit overalls !
(compare that to the McLaren mechanics)

(Ken Hyndman )

Steve Holmes
02-12-2014, 11:39 PM
Great stuff Ken!

Steve Holmes
02-12-2014, 11:41 PM

Steve Holmes
02-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Same photo as above, only cropped.

khyndart in CA
02-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Same photo as above, only cropped.

1973 British Grand Prix. Silverstone. Becketts Corner. First Lap.
Jackie Stewart dove under Ronnie Peterson for the lead here in a move that was described as "jaw dropping."in Autosport magazine. It was the last time Stewart would lead a British Grand Prix as at the end of this lap Scheckter would lose it and cause the huge accident that would take out 9 of the cars in this field. Peterson (Lotus 72) is followed by Reutemann (Brabham BT 42) then Hulme, Revson and Scheckter on the far right in their McLaren M23s. Remember there are 4 Kiwis in this field and I think 2 are at the back. (Amon and McRae). So all this action was about to come to a grinding halt while the track was cleared and the race restarted 90 minutes later. Eventually to be won by Peter Revson in his McLaren.
Even though it was a long day it was exciting and I was with my fellow Trojan work mate, Patrick Head, who would go on to design for Williams. But on this day he was just one of "the lads" having a good time.
(Ken Hyndman )

Steve Holmes
02-18-2014, 02:55 AM
This is brilliant Ken, many thanks.

Steve Holmes
02-18-2014, 02:57 AM

khyndart in CA
02-19-2014, 01:27 AM

This photo shows the cars exiting Becketts Corner on the warm up lap. The red Ferrari is driven by Belgian, Jackie Ickx, in his last race for the team, followed by the white Brabham of Andrea de Adamich that crashed on the first lap and Andrea would sustain leg injuries that would prevent him from ever racing again. (It is said that he is still angry with Jody Scheckter to this day for causing this accident !)
The green car # 28 is the Ensign Ford driven by Rikki von Opel who was an heir to the Opel car company. It had a neat design which incorporated the rear wing into the bodywork but it was not very successful.
The next car with just the front wheel coming into the picture is the STP March Ford of Tom Wheatcroft driven by the talented Roger Williamson. It also did not survive the first lap crash here at Silverstone.
Sadly Roger was to die under tragic circumstances two weeks later during the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

So although it is a pretty simple photo taken to show what it looked like at Silverstone that day, there is a lot going on showing cars and drivers that would sadly not survive for long. I appreciate that I had the opportunity to see them in action, if only for a brief time.

(Ken Hyndman )

Steve Holmes
02-19-2014, 01:48 AM
Wow, just awesome Ken. Thanks heaps for this.

bp photos
02-20-2014, 03:13 AM
These are great photos and the detailed descriptions which Ken has added really bring the era alive.!!

Steve Holmes
02-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I love this photo!

khyndart in CA
02-24-2014, 09:47 PM
I love this photo!

After the race, Patrick and I walked beside the track to avoid the crowd and it began to rain as you can see by the dark clouds and wet track.The shower cleared and along came this Leyland truck with Denny Hulme, Ronnie Peterson and the winner Peter Revson. There was no one close to us and we called out to Revson, "Jolly well done Peter". He turned from talking to Peterson and waved to us.
This was the last photo on my film and I'm glad I captured this moment.

I am puzzled by what Revson wrote in his autbiography "Speed with Style" (page 159)that he was " taken around the track on a farm wagon towed by a tractor, with the first four finishers and the press on it."
This photo seems to disprove that ! (Or else it is the best looking farm tractor and wagon that I have ever seen !)
(Ken Hyndman )

Steve Holmes
02-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Ha ha ha ha ha, brilliant description Ken! That is fantastic!

khyndart in CA
02-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Meeting Roger Williamson.
When I went to a F2 race at Oulton Park in Sept. 1972 I was approached by 2 boys who asked " Could we have your autograph please, Mr Williamson. " They were disappointed that I was not him, although there was some resemblance at that time.
At the Race Car Show at Earls Court in London, Jan. 1973, I had the opportunity to meet Roger Williamson and I told him about the
autograph confusion. We had a good laugh about who had the better looks (we were both built pretty close to the ground !) and who was the better driver !
I continued to follow his progress into Formula One that year and it was a sad day when the news showed his tragic death in the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort.

(Ken Hyndman )

Steve Holmes
03-21-2014, 01:48 AM
I'm splitting Ken's collection into three fairly distinct parts; The 1973 British Grand Prix, the 1975 Long Beach Grand Prix, and various New Zealand photos Ken took before heading overseas, and during return visits.

The 1975 Long Beach GP was held for Formula A (Formula 5000) cars, and Ken did well to keep the programme, because the entry list is just amazing! Check out some of the names in the entry list: Tom Pryce, Jody Scheckter, David Hobbs, Graham McRae, George Follmer, Al Unser, Chris Amon, Jackie Oliver, Brian Redman, Mario Andretti, David Hobbs, Vern Schuppan,, Warwick Brown etc. Pretty staggering really.

Ken was there with the Theodore Racing Team, with Tony Brise as driver. Few had heard of Brise, but he proved the star of the show, heading all the super-stars before being forced to stop with a broken driveshaft.

Here is Ken's recollection: "I scanned these photos at work of my weekend at Long Beach where I assisted my friend Graham Donaldson (from Rotorua) on the Theodore Racing Team along with Julian Randles, Sid Taylor and the amazing Teddy Yip and Janet Brise. Tony Brise was an unknown driver before the weekend but was the hero of the day after dropping out while well in the lead with another broken driveshaft (2nd time that weekend). Graham Hill was fun to be around and he was so enthused about Tony".

Steve Holmes
03-21-2014, 01:52 AM

Steve Holmes
03-21-2014, 01:58 AM
Here are the first two pics, which I'll let Ken comment on before I post the next ones.

Steve Holmes
03-21-2014, 01:59 AM

Bryan
03-21-2014, 02:05 AM
Interesting that the Shadows were running a Dodge engine. And a few drivers I recognise from the late '60s Can Am results.

Steve Holmes
03-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Yeah, I wonder if they're a development of the motors used in the factory Dodge Challengers and Plymouth Cudas that raced in the Trans-Am series in 1970?

Bryan
03-21-2014, 02:19 AM
Pontiac, AMC and Plymouth engines in F5000 (http://forums.autosport.com/topic/49479-pontiac-amc-and-plymouth-engines-in-f5000/) Autosport discussion

The 1975/1976 Dodge F5000 unit was a descendant of a TransAm powerplant, a Car & Driver
report says. It had a bore of 4.04 inches and a stroke of 2.96 inches (Chevrolet: 4.00 x 3.00).
Motoring News suggests that the Dodge unit started life as the same motor that was run
in the 1970 All American Racers TransAm Plymouth Barracudas.

The Plymouth and Dodge engines are based on the 273 cu. in. V8 engine introduced in 1964 in NA. These are known as "LA series" engines, a small block. They were used in various Plymouths, Dodges and Chryslers in 273, 318 and 340 cu sizes, all with a 3.31" stroke. The 1971 and later 360 is a still an "LA" but with a longer stroke.

1976 SCCA/USAC Formula 5000 Championship season (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_SCCA/USAC_Formula_5000_Championship_season) Jackie Oilver gave Dodge their only F5000 victory, at Road America.

khyndart in CA
03-21-2014, 04:29 AM
Here are the first two pics, which I'll let Ken comment on before I post the next ones.

I will always be grateful for Graham Donaldson. I got to know him while working at Trojan as he was a mechanic for the VDS race teambased in Belgium in 1973.
When Graham called me in 1975 in San Diego and asked if I wanted to help at Long Beach I was out the door and heading north in the VW camper in a heartbeat ! I arrived in time to have a meal and be entertained by the antics of Sid Taylor and Teddy Yip enjoying themselves. After that was a long evening of cleaning the car and all piling into a cheap hotel room and sleeping on the floor. The wicked life style of Long Beach at that time was not on our agenda ! We were excited as Tony had been quick from the start of practice but had suffered an ominous breakdown due to a broken half shaft.

This photo shows us as we were putting the Lola T-332 to the front of the grid. Graham Donaldson is on the left, Teddy Yip, Carey ? Ken Hyndman in the grubby clothing, Sid Taylor and Tony Brise who I think looks the least concerned of all of us !

Al Unser signed this photo many years later as he had been very impressed by what Tony achieved this weekend.
Also note Dan Gurney signed the front of the race programme and the unused tickets were because I showed up at the track and told the guy at the gate I was part of the Theodore Team and was running late ! I came back later and found some poor homeless chaps wanted to sleep in my van. (After they had gone to one of the many porno theatres that lined Ocean Boulevard at that time !)

(Ken Hyndman)

khyndart in CA
03-21-2014, 04:59 AM
As at Silverstone you will note the easy access that the public had and could just stroll in and have a chat in the shade under the tree !
Graham doing front wing adjustments and Julian Randles checking the transmission with Sid Taylor keeping an eye on it all.
No one knew at this time just how good Tony Brise would be. Therefore there was no crowd around us.

Steve Holmes
03-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Amazing too that just 2 months after you took these photos Ken, both Graham Hill, Tony Brise, and four other Embassy Hill crew were killed in that place crash in North London. Really tragic.

This is great info Ken, I'm really enjoying this thread.

prn31
03-21-2014, 05:32 AM

I interviewed Vern Schuppan last year (for Australian Muscle Car magazine) and there are some interesting parallels with Tony Brise and the Theodore/Taylor team.

Of course Vern Schuppan drove for Sid Taylor in 1974 and moved to Dan Gurney’s Eagle team for 1975 where his best result would be 2nd here at the Long Beach Grand Prix. Dan thought that Vern was slacking off a bit at the end but Vern said the Eagle had no brakes, a fact that the mechanics could confirm when they had a minor accident in the paddock post-race!

Vern teamed up with Tony Brise for the 1975 Swedish Grand Prix replacing regular Hill driver Rolf Stommelen who had been injured in Spain.

It isn’t widely known but Tony Brise was to drive the Theodore/Taylor Lola T332 down under in the 1976 Rothmans International series. Tragically that was never to be. Vern was bought in to replace Brise and went to win the series – his first time racing as a professional in his own country!

khyndart in CA
03-21-2014, 08:15 AM
1975 was a tragic year for the Graham Hill team as the crash at the Spanish Grand Prix at Montjuic Park circuit was due to rear wing failure and the resulting spectator deaths was a devastating blow to the team.

Graham Hill and Tony wanted Graham Donaldson on their F1 team. Graham Donaldson had been away in the States and he had to find new accommodation now he was back in England. He had to decline the offer to go on the fateful flight to France so he could find a flat otherwise he would have been on board that flight also.

(Ken Hyndman)

Steve Holmes
03-24-2014, 10:24 PM
Do you think Graham Hill enjoyed his job? Here he is getting acquainted with one of his fans.

khyndart in CA
03-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Do you think Graham Hill enjoyed his job? Here he is getting acquainted with one of his fans.

Graham's main concern was how to write a clear autograph without putting his hand on the inside for better support !
The other fan seems to be enjoying it more !
Notice how dedicated the rest of the team is and paying no attention to this "Side show" !
Graham certainly seemed to enjoy his time at Long Beach.

(Ken Hyndman)

Steve Holmes
03-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks Ken. Here is the next one.

khyndart in CA
03-26-2014, 11:08 PM
Thanks Ken. Here is the next one.

Sid Taylor, Graham Hill and Tony Brise preparing to drive.
This photo shows how tall Tony Brise was and this led to some interesting adjustments to the T-332.
The front body work was modified with a bulge to allow for his large feet !(See # 59 photo on nose panel above Theodore Racing )
Then he found the heat at Long Beach was causing his legs to cramp and so we tried to modify the bulge to allow air to
come in and I managed to botch that up and we ended up putting tape over the modification and by the time the race was on
Tony had no problems with leg cramps !
(Ken Hyndman )

Steve Holmes
03-27-2014, 01:05 AM
Brilliant! Thanks Ken.

Steve Holmes
03-27-2014, 01:06 AM

khyndart in CA
03-27-2014, 02:21 AM

Saturday Sept.27th 1975. Long Beach. First Qualifying Session.
Julian Randles and Graham Donaldson at work along with Teddy Yip in the pit lane on Ocean Boulevard.
Tony is about to go out and show what he could do in the streets of Long Beach.
(Note the previously mentioned specially designed bulge in the front bodywork for Tony's big feet ! )

(Ken Hyndman)

Steve Holmes
03-31-2014, 03:25 AM
Thanks Ken, just out of interest, is this the pits or part of the track? Kinda looks like a grandstand behind those concrete barricades in the background.

Steve Holmes
03-31-2014, 03:27 AM

khyndart in CA
03-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Thanks Ken, just out of interest, is this the pits or part of the track? Kinda looks like a grandstand behind those concrete barricades in the background.

Yes that is the track in the background. It came up the hill on Pine Avenue and turned right onto Ocean Blvd. The right lane of Ocean was divided off as the pit area and Theodore Racing had the pit area closest to Pine Ave. The left lanes of Ocean Blvd were the race course separated by the 8000 pound concrete barriers and fencing.
( I hope that makes some sense.)

Ken Hyndman.

khyndart in CA
03-31-2014, 11:53 PM

This shows the hard working and intensely dedicated race mechanic, Graham Donaldson, who was very sought after from, VDS, Theodore Racing, Sid Taylor, Graham Hill, Alan Jones, Dan Gurney, Geoff Brabham etc as they all knew the car would be done properly.
In the background watching, is Janet Brise and Graham Hill dressed in 70s style bell bottoms etc.

Now here is a "what if "
Janet & Tony were married one week before I married Judy in 1974 and we talked about that and how after the racing was over in California that they come to stay with us in San Diego and relax away from the English winter before Christmas. Instead Graham Hill wanted Tony back in England for more testing of the "Embassy" F 1 car.
(What if they had come to stay with us instead !)
Ken Hyndman

Steve Holmes
04-01-2014, 03:09 AM
Yeah, creepy isn't it Ken! Amazing how these scenarios can swill about in your head, wondering 'what if'.

Steve Holmes
04-01-2014, 03:10 AM

khyndart in CA
04-01-2014, 08:26 AM

Inaugural Long Beach Grand Prix. Sunday Sept. 28th. 1975
Tony Brise turning from Pine Ave onto Ocean Blvd late in the race and well in the lead after Mario Andretti had just retired.
He is passing the pit road entrance and setting off on what was to be his last lap. A lap later at this exact spot the car came to a stop under the Coca Cola sign across the street with the second broken rear half shaft of the weekend !
This photo captures the familiar Tony Brise driving style with his head and helmet leaning slightly forward and also the crowd scene as the shadows start to stretch across the track.

(Ken Hyndman)

Steve Holmes
04-02-2014, 04:09 AM

khyndart in CA
04-02-2014, 08:04 AM

Saturday morning during the first qualifying session Tony Brise's Lola T-332 came to a halt.
In this photo, Tony, his lovely wife, Janet, Graham Hill and Julian Randles, study the broken driveshaft and yoke.
This break, was due to the change of ride height to get more grip and the demanding new track at Long Beach.
Only the broken shaft was replaced. During the main race the next day, while leading, the other side drive shaft broke !
(If only we had replaced both drive shafts at the time ! )
Graham D. hard at work in the foreground.
Again note the work conditions !
p.s. That is a shadow on Tony's back ! (It is not from a whipping by Teddy or Sid !)

(Ken Hyndman)

Steve Holmes
04-04-2014, 04:30 AM

khyndart in CA
04-04-2014, 08:07 AM

Ken Hyndman cleaning the front brake cooling scoop and talking to Tony Brise (sitting in car). Probably discussing the front nose assembly which is lying on the ground in the background.
The woman reporter on the left, looks like she is trying to get a sound recording of Tony.

Also in the background is the white Lola T-300 # 50 driven by Dr John Korn who was known as the "racing gynecologist."
This was his first F5000 race which also resulted in a big speed difference when up against the"big boys" on race day !

(Ken Hyndman.)

Steve Holmes
04-07-2014, 01:07 AM
Last photo I have from this event.

khyndart in CA
04-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Last photo I have from this event.

This photo shows the great race car designer Jim Hall walking toward me on the right.
Behind him is the always friendly Brian Redman watching as his Lola T-332 is prepared.
Brian went on to win the Inaugural Long Beach Grand Prix the next day after Tony Brise retired.
He autographed this photo many years later as we were discussing the tragic loss of Tony, of who he greatly admired.

( Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
04-07-2014, 07:18 AM
This photo shows the great race car designer Jim Hall walking toward me on the right.
Behind him is the always friendly Brian Redman watching as his Lola T-332 is prepared.
Brian went on to win the Inaugural Long Beach Grand Prix the next day after Tony Brise retired.
He autographed this photo many years later as we were discussing the tragic loss of Tony, of who he greatly admired.

( Ken Hyndman )Ken thank you .. these are just fantastic piks ....... sort of brings that era alive ......I was a little 2 young to relate 2 the G Hill team but studied it more after reading & looking what you posted.....When I arrived in London Big O E that was when Graham hit the trees on approach , I even Googled Earthed his where abouts at Mill Hill North London where the family lived ...... I am not a fan of teams or drivers , but found Senna & Clark to have some thing special that most don't , results showed that , but paid for it ?

Murray Maunder
04-08-2014, 02:49 AM
Great photos brought alive by the fantastic descriptions that give so much context, thanks a million Ken.

Steve Holmes
04-09-2014, 03:11 AM
Well said Murray, I couldn't agree more.

Steve Holmes
04-09-2014, 03:17 AM

khyndart in CA
04-09-2014, 04:10 AM

A month later after Long Beach we were at Riverside Raceway, East of LA. This is Saturday Oct 25. 1975. I remember it as the night the clocks were set back 1 hour for daylight saving which seemed like a Godsend after being up late in preparation.
The Theodore Lola T-332 was not quite as quick as we hoped on the long straights at Riverside. Tony qualified 4th as the Viceroy Lola T332s of Al Unser and Mario Andretti were the quickest by over a second. Mario Andretti seemed unbeatable this weekend.
This photo shows Tony and the "lads" doing some final preparation on practice day.
In the background are the two Shadow DN 6 Dodge V-8 cars for Jackie Oliver in the # 0 car and Jody Scheckter drove the # 00 car that had been driven by Tom Pryce at Long Beach.
I do not think these Shadows ever raced again after this weekend.

(Ken Hyndman)

graham donaldson
04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
what great photos..I am glad you have such a good collection as that bought back a lot of memories.I went to the 40th LBGP this year and I did the first.man time has flown by.thanks again

khyndart in CA
04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
It is great to have Graham Donaldson join us at this site with all his past and present experience.
This is his latest quote to me.

" Thanks for the web site as I had no idea about it.
It has bought so many memories back
I think we had the best racing in those days
NO EGOS like today
Drivers spoke to mechanics and didn’t rush off to motor homes and hide with an engineer !

With Tony Brise another memory I will never forget was
A F1 & F5000 combo race at Brands Hatch in early 1974, Peter Revson was in the next pit
and spoke to us all just as a regular guy
Then 2 weeks later died ! " (While practicing for the South African GP at Kyalami )
Racing could be cruel back then.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-03-2014, 10:42 PM

khyndart in CA
05-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Oct 29th 1975.
Jackie Oliver exiting his F 5000 Shadow DN 6 during practice for the 1975 F 5000 race at Riverside, California.
Note the smoggy air conditions which was common back then !
Jackie was an excellent driver wherever he competed. From Formula 1, F 5000, Can Am, Lemans etc.
He was the mainstay of the Shadow and Arrows race teams.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-14-2014, 06:08 AM

khyndart in CA
05-14-2014, 06:56 AM
October 26th 1975
Tony Brise on the grid for the F 5000 race at Riverside, about to start his final race.
Julian and Graham look on while Teddy Yip checks his watch.
One month later Tony was aboard that fateful flight with Graham Hill.
note; Brian Redman in the background with his new Lola T- 400 (# 1 ) as he had crashed his T- 332 in practice.
Tony drove well but was in fourth place late in the race when he came into the pits for more fuel.
We were not prepared and had to rush around and finally used some fuel borrowed from another team !
Tony went back out and finally finished in sixth.
The difference in the loss of two places meant Tony did not get enough points to win the BRDC driver's award that year as it went instead to Alan Jones.
We were all a bit bummed about that but little did we realize of the tragedy that lay ahead.

(Ken Hyndman )

This is the last of my photos from this series. Thanks to all those who encouraged me along the way including Steve and Graham, Grant etc to get them out of the shoe box and share them with you.

Jeff
05-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Ken , we thank you so much for sharing your superb photo's.
They offer a very rare "behind the scenes" view of life during a superb , possibly the best era of motorsport

khyndart in CA
05-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Thanks Jeff,
If you look closely you can see "cheesecloth" taped to the air intake scoop to keep any of the local sand out and on the enlarged nose above the Theodore emblem, you can see the red duct tape over where we attempted to make an opening with a deflector to allow air in around the pedals !
It was very basic stuff and # 64 was not the prettiest car out there but with Graham & Julian's preparation, Tony could make it fly !

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
05-29-2014, 03:39 AM
Mate great piks I thank you once again , strangley enough I was in LA last week [RE RIVERSIDE] I was to visit Riverside as there was a Harley agent there called house of Harley , I was to puchase some Harley aparrel...... but ended up finding a shop closer in Anaheim a place called Garden City....Long Story short when I got back home ,,,,a couple of mates mentioned River Side Race track I had heard of it from years gone past ..Thanks Mate

khyndart in CA
05-31-2014, 06:50 AM
Grant, Thanks to your comment I remembered my first visit to Riverside in October 1974.
It was to see the IROC race that was now consisting of (Identical) 1974 Camaros powered by 350 Chev engines prepared by Traco Engineering that produced 440 horsepower and also had to be identical.
(The engines were painted gray so as to show any oil leaks. )

The Race of Champions was for champion race drivers from Nascar to Formula One.

(See the attached entry list for 1974 )

(Ken Hyndman)

khyndart in CA
05-31-2014, 07:42 AM

khyndart in CA
05-31-2014, 01:43 PM
In the garage area is Roger Penske in discussion in front of # 7 Camaro that was to be driven by Emerson Fittipaldi that day.
As usual Roger is impeccably dressed even to the black shiny shoes as the rest of us had the dusty versions !

(Note special spare IROC motor in the background, painted gray )

This car went on to be one of the best as noted in this article.

"The black number seven 1974 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Race Car was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey California where it was expected to sell between $100,000-$150,000. It was offered without reserve. Driven by Bobby Allison, Bobby Unser plus Emerson Fittipaldi who drove this vehicle and never lost a race while behind the wheel. This vehicle was never defeated. It is thought that the vehicle was a Penske/Donohue prototype car. It was dubbed 'lucky number seven' due to its very prestigious accomplishments on the racing circuit. "

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
06-02-2014, 06:55 AM
I walked around the Riverside track to the back straight and it was such a casual atmosphere where James Hunt was with Dan Gurney and spectators would wander up and have a chat.
( James was there to drive the Jorgensen Steel Eagle for Dan in the F5000 race )
Hunt said he would like to try driving a IROC Camaro one day and he did a year later in Oct 1975.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
06-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Riverside, Oct. 26 1974
Second lap of IROC race on the back straight heading down to turn 9.
Four time Indy 500 winner, A J Foyt in Camaro # 2, in the lead, Jody Scheckter, in Camaro # 16,trying to get close enough to draft Foyt, as this was a whole new learning experience for Jody.

Note the dry landscape and the smoggy atmosphere. The air is cleaner today but the track is gone due to residential development.

( Ken Hyndman )

( Note the lack of safety standards for spectators compared to today !)

Steve Holmes
06-02-2014, 08:24 PM
In the garage area is Roger Penske in discussion in front of # 7 Camaro that was to be driven by Emerson Fittipaldi that day.
As usual Roger is impeccably dressed even to the black shiny shoes as the rest of us had the dusty versions !

(Note special spare IROC motor in the background, painted gray )

This car went on to be one of the best as noted in this article.

"The black number seven 1974 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Race Car was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey California where it was expected to sell between $100,000-$150,000. It was offered without reserve. Driven by Bobby Allison, Bobby Unser plus Emerson Fittipaldi who drove this vehicle and never lost a race while behind the wheel. This vehicle was never defeated. It is thought that the vehicle was a Penske/Donohue prototype car. It was dubbed 'lucky number seven' due to its very prestigious accomplishments on the racing circuit. "

(Ken Hyndman )

Outstanding images Ken! Thanks for sharing. The 1974/75 IROC season was the second year for the series. It was also the first year in which Camaros were used. The first season the cars were Porsche RSR's. My guess is that the car pictured was no more special than the other cars, or at least, that was not the intention. As you know, you can build two cars identical, but its always possible one is just a little bit better than the other.

Mark Donohue raced in IROC the first year, with the Porsches, and I think his successes here did a great deal for his reputation, and even in his own mind. Traditionally, Donohue hated having a team mate, as he was convinced he wasn't a great driver, and that he was able to better set up his car, which helped him to win. But he beat some of the very best drivers in the world in the first year of IROC, winning two of the three races, and I think this really cemented his reputation as one of the greats.

Thanks again for the photos Ken. Its rare to see such great early IROC images.

Grant Sprague
06-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Outstanding images Ken! Thanks for sharing. The 1974/75 IROC season was the second year for the series. It was also the first year in which Camaros were used. The first season the cars were Porsche RSR's. My guess is that the car pictured was no more special than the other cars, or at least, that was not the intention. As you know, you can build two cars identical, but its always possible one is just a little bit better than the other.

Mark Donohue raced in IROC the first year, with the Porsches, and I think his successes here did a great deal for his reputation, and even in his own mind. Traditionally, Donohue hated having a team mate, as he was convinced he wasn't a great driver, and that he was able to better set up his car, which helped him to win. But he beat some of the very best drivers in the world in the first year of IROC, winning two of the three races, and I think this really cemented his reputation as one of the greats.

Thanks again for the photos Ken. Its rare to see such great early IROC images.Really interesting Ken, yes remember when IROC was running ,I guess inversion wud mean reverse grid race , & G Hill was last in a particular race . Often we had reverse grid races when I was doing pre 65 racing I found it fun , except for the odd newbies not using mirrors or not looking at flags , I would clip a few on the way through & some times got a telling off, none of us being perfect thats what makes life interesting ...Thanks Ken

khyndart in CA
06-03-2014, 07:44 AM
Yes Steve, Mark Donohue did a marvelous job preparing these cars and keeping them all equal.The Camaros arrived at Penske Racing with just 2 months to get them prepared. Mark chose 14 mechanics with no race car building experience to help keep it equal. He worked with them completely removing the entire power train, all the wiring,interior,suspension, fuel system etc and reassembling with heavy duty racing equipment. Many companies contributed which helped keep within the budget of $15000 each car. (which was half of what each RSR Porsche cost to run the previous season !) These companies also benefited from the advertizing stickers and television exposure which was huge for their future growth also.
These Mark Donohue prepared Camaros were so good that they were used for at least 3 seasons of IROC racing.
Sadly Mark died of injuries during practice for the 1975 Austrian GP while driving a Penske F 1 car.

Note all the contributing companies on this display.

( You may have to have your glasses on to read this image !)

Ken Hyndman

Steve Holmes
06-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Thats some great info Ken! Many thanks.

Bryan
06-06-2014, 02:29 AM
1973-74 IROC series (including Denis Hulme) - 10 minute video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIMEYv5-kgg)

1984 IROC from Talladega - Derek Bell versus the wall at 175mph.

Youtube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfEeBKWw-Bk)

khyndart in CA
06-06-2014, 06:11 AM
IROC racing got pretty wild at times.
Sometimes when you see these clips it looks more like the IROI series (International Race of Idiots)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJrewm2TV2Y

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
06-06-2014, 09:46 PM
IROC racing got pretty wild at times.
Sometimes when you see these clips it looks more like the IROI series (International Race of Idiots)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJrewm2TV2Y

(Ken Hyndman )Ken what an action packed clip, obviousley the drivers did not own these cars talk about distructive drivers........:p

Oldfart
06-06-2014, 10:30 PM
Did somebody ask if any of these cars survived still? :)

khyndart in CA
06-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Grant,
These were champion drivers from F 1, Nascar, Indy,Le Mans,drag racing etc. They raced mainly on oval circuits in later years. The Nascar boys did not want to be beaten by foreign drivers on their home tracks so this led to a lot of " tapping" just to remind others of where they were !
I remember some of the races were like demolition derbies and you knew the series could not last. I am glad I got to see the early years even though they had some violent incidents back then.
Not a lot of love was lost between these proud warriors !

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
06-07-2014, 10:20 PM
Did somebody ask if any of these cars survived still? :)

The only original 1974 IROC Camaros that I could still find are the Black # 7 first driven by Bobby Unser Sept 14, 1974.
The Brown # 10 Camaro and the Yellow # 6 Camaro first raced by Jody Scheckter.
Perhaps someone has more information.
After seeing the way they were driven it is a miracle any survived !
Check the start of this race that I went to at Riverside. They had hardly crossed the starting line when this crash took place !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkW-y357ULk

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
06-08-2014, 07:38 AM
I found two more photos of Riverside during IROC races in 1974 and 1975. That will be the end of this part of my collection.

The first photo shows Jody Scheckter in # 10 following the Porsche pace car with Graham Hill in Blue Camaro # 3 followed by Richard Petty in the white Camaro. They had a rolling start but still managed to collide right after the start. As shown in the previous post.

Rod Grimwood
06-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Steve Millen raced in the later Camaros and turned a few heads on the oval, and a couple of 'the good o'l boys' after they had a dig at him. He was pretty respected in the end.

khyndart in CA
06-09-2014, 07:20 AM
Oct 25 1975 IROC race Riverside.
It is a year later and the Camaros are back with black stripes over the hood and larger rear windows.
This shows the start of the race and Bobby Unser is already in the lead followed by James Hunt. Bobby Unser led from start to finish.The race drivers included ; Bobby Unser, AJ Foyt, Mario Andretti, Emerson Fittipaldi, Benny Parsons, Richard Petty, Jody Scheckter, Brian Redman, Al Unser, David Pearson, Bobby Allison and James Hunt.
In the background is the sweeping corner # 9, one of the longest corners on any road course in the country.

(This is my last Riverside photo )

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
06-12-2014, 05:55 AM
I found two more photos of Riverside during IROC races in 1974 and 1975. That will be the end of this part of my collection.

The first photo shows Jody Scheckter in # 10 following the Porsche pace car with Graham Hill in Blue Camaro # 3 followed by Richard Petty in the white Camaro. They had a rolling start but still managed to collide right after the start. As shown in the previous post.

Riverside Raceway 1974
In the background you can just see the high grandstands above Turn Six in October 1974.

Riverside Today;
This is approx. where Turn Six was situated today in June 2014. (Oh for the good old days !)
See attached Google Map.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.938716,-117.274806,3a,75y,7.07h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sFh-GqUX4i5cwAk2pX-rlPA!2e0?hl=en

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
06-27-2014, 04:31 AM
One thing leads to another. After reading about Dan Gurney and Riverside and that he also raced at the Santa Barbara Airport when races were held there from 1953 to 1967. As I work at Moss Motors, less than a mile from the airport I decided to check it out as I thought all the racing was done on the tarmac but found out they also raced among the hangers and out onto the road and back around. I have taken some photos of what it looks like today and also some photos of the race action from the 1967 races thanks to John Lacko and some of his collection. Some of the best drivers in the country raced here, some such as Phil Hill would drive his Ferrari up from Los Angeles, race and party at the "Biltmore Hotel" then drive home! Among the drivers included were of course; Phil Hill, Dan Gurney,Bob Bondurant, Ken Miles, Jim Hall, Richie Ginther, Lance Reventlow, Carroll Shelby, Jerry Entin, Jim Adams. Etc.. (Even James Dean raced here a few months before he died )
I was amazed I had driven by this spot for years and not realized this where it all took place.
So here is my attempt at what it looked like then and how it looks today at Santa Barbara and Goleta, California.

In early 1967, the SCCA held races at the Santa Barbara Airport with a 2.5 mile course laid out on runways and between buildings.

Santa Barbara Airport races. 1967
Jim Adams, 1967 Big Bore Race Winner, McLaren M1B (Chassis 20-09 )
(John Lacko photo ) ( john@lackophoto.com )

Ken Hyndman

khyndart in CA
06-27-2014, 04:39 AM
This is how that same corner looks today !
(Note the power poles that were not there in 1967 ! )
A lot of famous drivers came round this very unexciting looking corner as it is today )

Ken Hyndman

khyndart in CA
06-27-2014, 04:51 AM

Same corner in 1967.
An Austin Mini Cooper S, a BMW 1600 and a Volvo having fun

(John Lacko photo )

Much has changed but the trench line that shows just in front of the Mini wheels is still showing
in the present day photo.

Ken Hyndman (photo)

khyndart in CA
06-27-2014, 06:32 PM
A Corvette leads a Mustang 350 and a Porsche 911 past the hangar area.

( John Lacko photo )

As the hangar area looks today.(June 2014)

(Ken Hyndman photo )

Grant Sprague
06-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Gee Ken what a time warp.... beaut piks ... Poor old mustang hung out to dry mind you by the attitude of it we can see why ... Ken hope you & wife all good there .. we are mid winter shortest day now behind us, kind regards Grant

khyndart in CA
06-28-2014, 06:32 AM
Grant,
I always appreciate your input and concerns.
I did not have great camera skills back in my NZ days but here is a time warp photo for you.
Where were you when I took this of Gary at the 1969 Benson & Hedges at Pukekohe ?
Cheers,
Ken

Gary Sprague at Pukekohe, 1969

Ken Hyndman photo

khyndart in CA
06-28-2014, 07:42 AM
Back to Santa Barbara Airport. 1955
The actor James Dean made an appearance and raced his car. This was just a few months before he died in a car crash about 150 miles north of Santa Barbara at Cholame.
Here is a brief video of James Dean at the 1955 Santa Barbara Airport races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTgzX2_5UY

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
06-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Hi Ken, Thank You for this interesting [2nd attempt at replying to you computer or mondayitice lol] Pik [Gary & Leo ... Any way this pik would be when either of these two won B&H on this day ,Leo would be teamed with Brent Hawes , Gary with Ernie...... The year after Gary went to UK to work with March Engineering F1 , this pik shows the tow car Gary used to tow his T/Cam Escort around but did not have a support race for him that weekend I dont think ..then again might not be his tow car EH wagon ., I cant work out the back drop of pik the land scape must have changed a bit ........ Ok I would have been in the pits helping organise bits & peices making the area tidy [the boys job] I also helped with time keeping not much fun for 6 hrs lol, Gary here would be about 21 I would be 13 or 14 yrs old .
Thanks Ken for taking me down memory lane , love the vids etc .psssss... I could see the hills by River Side a few months ago & visualised where the track would have been on google ...very cool thanks mate , Kind Regards Grant

khyndart in CA
07-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Another photo from the shoe box. I went to the first Formula One race at Long beach in March 1976. The program included a gathering of some of the great drivers from the past to participate in a Historic F-1 race / demonstration run in some of the race cars that they had actually driven in their day. After the race they gathered on the podium and I managed to get a photo before the TV crew threw me back.
What a great line-up of drivers and I doubt that they would all gather like this again and it was a great privilege to see them in action.
The photo shows from L to R.
Carroll Shelby, Rene Dreyfus, Stirling Moss, Maurice Trintignant, Juan Manuel Fangio, Dan Gurney (who signed it for me ) Jack Brabham, Denis Hulme and Innes Ireland in front.

I also attached a copy of a page from the program which gives more detail. Note the F 1 entries are from the season that the movie "Rush" was based on.

Ken Hyndman

khyndart in CA
07-18-2014, 04:40 AM
If you look closely you will see that Phil Hill drove a 1960 V6 Ferrari in this Long Beach race that was the type that he drove at the 1960
Italian Grand Prix at Monza (and won mainly due to the small field with no Cooper, BRM, Lotus etc participation due to safety concerns )
That winning Ferrari was sold to Pat Hoare in NZ who raced it for a few seasons.
I wrote away for this "Shell " card many years ago and I wanted to share the information and especially note that it had a V12 when bravely driven by Pat.
Could someone please explain why a Monza winning V6 engine would be replaced by a heavier, more complicated and unreliable V12 to be driven on NZ circuits at that time ?
What a beautiful race car.

Ken Hyndman

stubuchanan
07-18-2014, 11:18 AM
My recollection from the time( as an 18/19 year old enthusiast) was that Hoare requested the V12 in place of the V6 formula One engine as the maintenance of it would be easier. These 3-litre engines had been used in various Ferrari sports and GT cars from about 1957 onward and seem to have been fairly reliable, enough to win the World Sports Car Champ in 1958 and 1960. I don't recall Hoare having many mechanical problems.

Stu

khyndart in CA
07-19-2014, 07:52 AM
V12 3-litre engine in Pat Hoare's Ferrari

I found this article about the car which was originally a Ferrari 246 F1 Dino, written in 2006 from the "Ultimatecarpage.com " site.

" With the cars obsolete and having no economic value at the end of the 1960 season, Ferrari's racing department set about disassembling the surviving cars of the circa nine raced in the previous three years. The useful parts like the engines were retained, but the rest was scrapped. Fortunately at least one car escaped this treatment as it was modified for the Tasman Series and sold to Pat Hoare from New Zeeland. For this application the Dino engine was removed and replaced with a very 'hot' 3-litre V12 engine similar to the ones fitted in the dominant 250 TRs. The chassis was used by Phil Hill for his Italian Grand Prix win, but renumbered from its original '0007' to '0788'; the number on the engine. Hoare raced his Ferrari Special with considerable success until 1963 when rule changes left it obsolete. He modified the chassis for road use and fitted a 250 GTO replica body. Fortunately all the removed tubes and body panels were retained and in the late seventies it was brought back to its former glory by British historic racer Neil Corner. Powered by the very potent V12 engine, the car was successfully campaigned for many seasons by his son Nigel Corner, until a very heavy accident nearly killed him. Thankfully both survived and while Nigel retired from active duty, the Tasman Special is still frequently raced by its current owner.
The current owner of 0007/0788 had his master mechanic fit his car with a correct V6 engine. This combination debuted at Monaco in 2006 and the lighter engine made the car a lot nicer to drive. Currently the car can be equipped with either engine, but the owner liked the V6 so much that left it in for the remainder of the season. " ( 2006 Information )

I hope the car is still being raced today. It has such a wonderful history.

(Ken Hyndman )
p.s. I saw it race in the rain at Ardmore during the 1962 NZGP.

Kwaussie
07-19-2014, 09:15 AM
I loved watching this car although I don't think it was ever really pushed in New Zealand until Jackie Stewart drove it at a Wigram Friday practice many years ago.

Here is a great thread on this site. http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?40-The-Other-Ferrari-250-GTO

khyndart in CA
08-05-2014, 03:36 AM
Pat Hoare was the first local NZ driver home that day at Ardmore in 6 th place five laps behind Stirling Moss who drove one of the best races of his career which ended a few months later when he crashed at Goodwood in April 1962.

I have put together some of my scrap book from that WET day at Ardmore and wanted to share it as best possible.

Ken Hyndman

khyndart in CA
08-05-2014, 07:10 AM
The 2 shilling and six pence programme has some interesting pages.

khyndart in CA
08-05-2014, 07:33 AM
I showed my old programme to Stirling Moss a few years ago at the Monterey Historic Meet and he was impressed that I had kept a lap chart of the race in the rain and noted the water stains on the pages. He signed it twice and looked through it and kept others waiting as he was not expecting to see this old memory while in California !
It truly was one of the best drives of his career as he had lapped everyone except John Surtees on the 2 mile track at Ardmore and did it all in 50 laps against a world class field.
I am glad I was there as a "young fella" and can share the memory.

( I wish I could make this image clearer. If you look closely you can see Stirling signed it twice )

Ken Hyndman

khyndart in CA
08-06-2014, 07:31 AM
Before the rains came at Ardmore there had been exciting racing.
Note the entry list from this small size engine saloon car race.
Little cars with big time drivers !
( Note the amount of the prize money ! )

Kerry Grant takes the lead in his Austin Farina.

(Photos from the 8 0 Clock Sports paper )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
08-08-2014, 07:26 AM
I notice that the Mini Coopers for Bruce McLaren, Ron Flockhart and Roy Salvadori had 998 cc engines and customer Mini Coopers at that time had 997 cc engines until early 1964 when the 998 engines were put in. Looks like they had fun.
Can you imagine drivers today competing like this a few hours before the main event !

Image from NZ Herald 24-12-61
provided by Jan McLaren

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
08-08-2014, 08:01 AM
The NZ Grand Prix was due to start at 2 pm and it began pouring with rain and the race went ahead anyway.
There were no rain tyres back then and it is amazing how brave these drivers were.

These images are from the 8 o Clock sport paper which we couldn't wait to read when it came out on a Saturday evening.

( Signed by Stirling Moss )

Ken Hyndman

khyndart in CA
08-08-2014, 08:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rEmoya_LhG4

Ardmore, NZ. January 6. 1962.

This gives a view of how it was that day ! (Thanks to You Tube )

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
08-15-2014, 07:17 AM
This weekend at the Laguna Seca Raceway in California the Monterey Motorsports Reunion will take place.
It will feature the 100 year anniversary of Maserati cars.
The guest of honor will be Stirling Moss who is still getting around and very alert at 84 years of age which is pretty good after all his
injuries from racing and falling down elevator shafts etc.
I thought this summary in the NZ Herald when he retired in 2011, covered his brilliant drive at Ardmore and his career very well.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
08-15-2014, 07:34 AM
Ardmore. January 1962.
Stirling Moss in his Rob Walker Racing Lotus 21 and John Surtees in his Yeoman Credit Racing Team
Cooper T 53 on a dry day !

(Thanks to Bruce McLaren Trust for this image )

( Ken Hyndman )

GD66
08-15-2014, 07:56 AM
"As Surtees had intimated, Moss operated at a very different level to other racing drivers"...

Hard to argue with...:cool:

Grant Sprague
08-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Look at the poor old positive camber l/f [meaning off side uk talk] with half lock understeer...... looks quick BUT could have been quicker with some up to date knowledge ..no disrespect to his driving abilities could be on cross plys as well

khyndart in CA
08-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Stirling also dressed at a different level to other drivers as seen in this photo taken at Ardmore in 1956.
He saw this and signed it also.
He thought he looked pretty good in black with his camera to match !
The ladies also enjoyed having Stirling show up !
He is talking to fellow British driver, Peter Whitehead. Peter was sadly killed in 1959 on the Tour de France, when, with his brother Graham driving, their Jaguar crashed off a bridge into a ravine at Lasalle. Graham survived.

Thanks to Bruce McLaren Trust for this photo.

(Ken Hyndman )
( I will not be at Laguna Seca this weekend and I am glad I had this chance 3 years ago to spend a
few minutes talking to Stirling and he seemed to enjoy seeing some of my " Stuff " that I had hung onto
over the years and was only too willing to sign it. I know this weekend he will be surrounded and there is no way I would have had the same opportunity. Thanks TRS for letting me share this. )

Grant Sprague
08-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Ken when living in London I use to meet up with friends around Park lane just north of Hyde Park I recall some one saying Sterling Moss owned some buildings here ....[big time realistate even back then ] ...one of the clever ones ????? balanced out fame & life.......... Ken love yr input very interesting & great reading etc ... Grant

khyndart in CA
11-18-2015, 09:47 PM
When I lived in London, I drove from Catford to Croydon each day in 1973, which meant driving by Crystal Palace and I would often stop by on the way home to check out the facilities and the fascinating history of the place. The race track had just been closed in 1972 after 20 years of use to the usual demands of the locals, noise and safety. The circuit was only about 1.4 miles long but some of the great names of racing had driven here, Moss, Clark, Hill, McLaren etc but it was easy to see how dangerous it was with the trees and narrow track but it led to some great racing.
One of my favorites is this 1971 salon car race with a Camaro, Broadspeed Escort and a Vauxhall driven by Gerry Marshall +.
So it had all the ingredients to be a great race and I think it is well worth watching.
I have noted since posting that this was shown on TRS about 4 years ago. Hey, it is worth seeing again !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawBXWWgqCI

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
11-18-2015, 09:50 PM
Here is a little more about "The Palace."

http://www.motorsportatthepalace.co.uk/

The circuit was also used in movie scenes for "The Italian Job" and "Rush" showing where James Hunt had a brawl with Dave Morgan.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
11-19-2015, 12:41 AM
July 14 1973. Silverstone. England.
I went to watch the British Grand Prix along with my workmate friend, Patrick Head. We settled in at Becketts Corner and watched the start of the Group 2 saloon car race. It was an exciting start with Brian Muir grabbing the lead in his BMW 3.3 Alpina CSL, from Dennis Leech in his 7 litre Boss Mustang and then Frank Gardner in his 7 litre Chevrolet Camaro. On the front row was Dave Mathews in the Broadspeed Capri RS that dropped back to about 7th by the time they reached us. I snapped a quick photo as they flashed by and it is blurry due to enlarging but it does capture the moment. Much has been written about this race and it was written up in Autosport as a " A most unhappy race."
I will try to explain why as I go along.
My photo showing the first lap.

( Ken Hyndman photo )

Same corner from a different angle. (touringcarracing.net photo)

khyndart in CA
11-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Becketts Corner often had exciting moments and the spectators got good views of the action.
This incident between Muir and Gardner took place earlier in April 1973.
I bet the language was pretty choice after this incident !
( Photos from 1974 Motor Racing Yearbook )

This is a scene most competitors saw of Frank Gardner in his Camaro in 1973.

(Ken Hyndman )

John McKechnie
11-19-2015, 09:22 PM
Not the first time they came together- Yogi Muir and Frank Gardnerwere hard competitors in their respective Camaro and Mustang, have a pic somewhere and will post

Steve Holmes
11-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Love those pics Ken. The Camaro was powered by the same alloy block 427 that powered Bob Janes ZL1 Camaro to the 1971 ATCC.

Ray Bell
11-19-2015, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Steve Holmes
Love those pics Ken. The Camaro was powered by the same alloy block 427 that powered Bob Janes ZL1 Camaro to the 1971 ATCC.

And also the Harrop/Holinger fabricated gearbox from Jane's car.

khyndart in CA
11-19-2015, 11:11 PM
When I first arrived in England I went to the first race meet I could get which was at Oulton Park. in Sept. 1972. I had been interested in the Broadspeed Escorts and approached the team asking for a position and describing all my Ford experience from working at the Fairview Motors Ford used car department ! They were not too encouraging and that's when I moved along to the friendly McLaren crew.
Broadspeed built well prepared racecars and the Capri RS 2600 that came out at Silverstone in July 1973 was no exception.
These photos thanks to the touringcarracing.net site, show what it was like as the weekend began.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
11-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Some of the other entries for the Silverstone Touring Car GP support race July 1973.
33 entries. From Minis, Datsun Cherry coupes and Hillman Imps to 7 litre Mustangs and Camaros with over 20 second a lap time difference had all the potential for disaster in a 20 lap race !

khyndart in CA
11-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Then came some of the big boys.

( Ken Hyndman..thanks to; touringcarracing.net for the photos )

khyndart in CA
11-20-2015, 12:52 AM
After the start Dave Mathews had been forced to avoid other traffic and was in 7th place when he passed us on the 1st lap.
He had soon worked his way up to second place by the 7th lap and already passing slower traffic when disaster struck. We could see the plume of black smoke and knew something terrible had happened as all the racing stopped.
The Autosport articles describe it best and the photos show a completely destroyed Broadspeed Capri. Though the drivers involved eventually recovered somewhat I don't think Dave Mathews ever raced again although he did support his son's racing career. It was indeed a very "Unhappy race."

Perhaps being on the left side did help Dave in this terrible accident.

( Ken Hyndman )

r

khyndart in CA
11-20-2015, 08:51 PM
I want to thank Frank de Jong for his wonderful site covering Touring Car History around the world from 1952-1993 and the photos and facts that I had forgotten especially at the 1973 Silverstone race.
I hope you can enjoy the site as much as I do.

http://www.touringcarracing.net/index.html

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
11-20-2015, 10:54 PM
During my time in London in 1972-73,every Thursday morning on the way to work we would pick up a copy of the latest Autosport magazine at the local store and flick through the pages to the employment section.
As you can see from this 1979 issue there plenty of opportunities for mechanics if you were enthusiastic, willing to travel and not worried about making much money !
I think we had it pretty good back then.

( Ken Hyndman )

Roger Dowding
11-21-2015, 08:39 AM
Ken, how big is your house, where do you keep all this stuff, I have a few boxes and the books are under an old desk that sits in the garage below the model collection.
Hell, if I had kept what I gave away, there would be a lot less room in the garage.
20 years plus of " Motorman " 1964 on
all my 1965 - 1980's programmes, not forgetting 20 years of Northern Sports Car Club Bulletins [ " Club Torque " - from memory that went into a skip in the 1980's and Healey-Torque magazines from AHCCNZ from 1974 to 1996 or so, plus others
and I am forgetting started getting " The Autocar " while still at High School in Kelston, Auckland, had a regular order at the shop accross the road from the side gate of the school, for both The Autocar and Motorman .

Keep up the great work

cheers

Roger

khyndart in CA
12-01-2015, 12:48 AM
This is a bit of the "If Only" department !
My last "Autosport" issue when I left England in December 1973 had these entries in the classified section.
Read and weep folks !

( Ken Hyndman )..note the 72 Austin 1800 is almost as much as a 69 Mach 1 Mustang.
How times have changed .

John McKechnie
12-01-2015, 12:57 AM
Ken- That Lola T330. are they saying it has a 8.1 litre Can/Am engine?
No wonder it won the Irish Championship, now would that be 5 litre engine limit?
Sounds like Central Muscle Car class.

khyndart in CA
12-01-2015, 01:32 AM
John,
I may have jumped the gun but that is probably the price asked for the Can Am engine.

Can you imagine the price asked on these two in today's market.

An original Ford GT 40

Ken H

12-01-2015, 03:11 AM
Ken- That Lola T330. are they saying it has a 8.1 litre Can/Am engine?
No wonder it won the Irish Championship, now would that be 5 litre engine limit?
Sounds like Central Muscle Car class.
2 seperate items john

John McKechnie
12-01-2015, 03:33 AM
On the side of Lola T330 number 74 is Regazzoni, that would be Clay Regazzoni.
And here it is again-
ww.ebay.co.uk/itm/10x8-Original-Period-Photograph-Clay-Regazzoni-F5000-Lola-T330-Brands-Hatch-73-/28184518198

khyndart in CA
12-01-2015, 09:09 AM
October 1973. Brands Hatch.
Loading the Regazzoni F 5000 Lola in the paddock area.
Note how duct taping was used before the days of wind tunnel testing !

( Ken Hyndman photo )

Grant Sprague
12-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Great photos Ken , I often see old adverts of racing cars , when I worked for Ian Mason Aston Martins in W10..... I could have bought various DB5s & DB6s around 4000 quid, [now would be worth ummmm you know what ] only to buy a Datsun 240Z to bring home 1200 pounds that was my budget, the prices reflect on the laws of relativity , a bit like we could have bought that section for $1500 ..... 30 yrs ago, I recall Ernie going into an old servo some where in England in the crn was an original GT40 going cheap he decided to buy a 3.8 Jag drive it around & bring that home .... Good stuff brother keep them coming

khyndart in CA
12-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Hey Grant,
I should have bought the Porsche 910-17 plus Mick Hill's Capri and brought them back to NZ for the Sprague family to enjoy.
That 917 at Pukekohe would have turned some heads.
You drive and I collect the prize money !
No wait.. I just woke up and have to get back to work !
Cheers,
Ken (The dreamer )

Grant Sprague
12-02-2015, 03:17 AM
Ha Ha ..Ken it all starts from a dream ...... no problem

khyndart in CA
12-08-2015, 11:51 PM
I always admired the Tyrrell Team for their innovative F1 cars that were assembled in very modest buildings near Woking, England.
Derek Gardner was their designer for the 1973 season with the Tyrrell 006 Formula One car which won the 1973 championship with Jackie Stewart driving. Sadly his team mate Francois Cevert was to tragically die at the Watkins Glen circuit during practice for the 1973 US Grand Prix n October which was the last race of the season and was to be Jackie Stewart's last grand prix. Chris Amon was set to drive the third Tyrrell in this race as it seemed the 1974 team would be Cevert and Amon. Cevert's crash changed all that.
I was privileged to have seen the Tyrrell Team in action at Silverstone in July 1973 and I wanted to share these photos again.

This shows the ill fated Cevert on pit road at Silverstone, Ken Tyrrell is on the far side of the car in dark rimmed glasses and Derek Gardner is the other side of the "Lucas" man. It is a busy scene also with Denny Hulme in the foreground thinking about his M 23 McLaren.
(Ken Hyndman photo )

This is the first lap of the 1973 British GP before the big crash. Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell has just taken the lead from Ronnie Peterson. This was the last time Jackie Stewart led a race at Silverstone.

(p.s. There are four Kiwi drivers somewhere in this Formula One photo. Hulme, Ganley, Amon and McRae. What are the chances of that ever happening again ? )

(Ken Hyndman photo )

"Fantastic shot of Jackie Stewart on his way to victory at Monaco throwing around the ‘twitchy’ , low ‘polar moment of inertia’ Tyrrell 006…"
Note the handling characteristics of the Tyrrell 006 in 1973. Some feel this may have contributed to the Cevert crash.
(The Tyrrell 006 had a 94 inch wheel base compared to the M23 McLaren's 101 inch wheel base. )
(Primotipo.com photo )

I enjoy cutaway art and this was done by Werner Buhrer about the 1973 Tyrrell 006 F 1 car...although Stewart usually had # 5 and Cevert had car # 6.

I noted this F 1 type Hewland gearbox for sale in Autosport , December 1973. I wonder what was the history of this Hewland FG 400 5 speed ?

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Silverstone July 1973.
The Tyrrell Team certainly did not have ideal working conditions !

( Ken Hyndman photo )

Roger Dowding
12-10-2015, 11:08 AM
Ken, When ?? are you going to run out of stuff.. keep going !! great collection, how do you hide from the " General Manager " a.k.a. wife ??

and !! 21 posts to go !!..
cheers
Roger

khyndart in CA
12-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Roger,
I manage to recycle some of my "stuff".
It amazes me how hard the mechanics worked back then in and also how simple the conditions were.
Check this guy sitting on a plastic container, brass hammer, ratchet & sockets in a tray and he is preparing Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell 006 which was the F1 championship winning car in 1973 !

Also here is a wider view of an earlier post showing the Tyrrell and McLaren teams on pit road. If you look closely you can see a lot of well known people, from an owner, a boxer to drivers and mechanics ( including Peter Bruin ) plus Greeta Hulme on the right.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-11-2015, 01:12 AM
Derek Gardner was an innovative designer and his quest to have a lower frontal area and more braking ability led him to design the sensational looking Tyrrell P-34 for the 1976 F1 season for drivers, Jody Scheckter and Patrick Depailler.

There are many sites with information on this unique F1 car.
I liked this one.
http://www.project34.co.uk/

This is how the car looked for the 1977 season.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-15-2015, 10:26 PM
Even though Derek Gardner was very innovative, the Tyrrell Team did not have the same success after Jackie Stewart left in 1973.
After Patrick Head left Trojan in 1974 he was disillusioned with motor racing and went to his other interest of boat building. But Frank Williams contacted him and got him back to motor racing and the rest is history. The team worked well with Alan Jones as a driver.
Patrick designed and built the very successful Williams FW 07 Formula One car for the 1979 season and had immediate success. These cars are still winning to this day. e.g. At the 2015 Historic F1 race at Laguna Seca.
Patrick sent me these photos in 1982.

This is the 1981 FW 07C with Alan Jones driving.

Another angle of the 1981 FW 7OC with Jones team mate Carlos Reutemann driving at the French Grand Prix, Dijon,France

(Ken Hyndman..collection )

khyndart in CA
12-15-2015, 10:50 PM
Although Patrick Head is pretty much retired now he is still involved with Williams Advanced Engineering, which provides design and development services to manufacturers and many projects, including the battery and management system for the Formula E race cars.
Check their site here.

http://www.williamsf1.com/advanced-engineering

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-22-2015, 01:42 AM
Judy and I had met in Earls Court, London where there were many kiwis gathering at that time in the 1970s.
So when I had a chance to go to the 1973 International Racing Car Show at the Olympia Hall at Earls Court as part of the Trojan Racing entry we both happily went back to our old "hunting ground" at the Court.
Getting dressed up and meeting up with all sorts of people from owners, designers and drivers etc, was a memorable experience. (As I had previously mentioned, including talking to the late Roger Williamson )

Here is the man himself. Note the smooth look and long hair !
Standing by the display of Emerson Fittipaldi's championship Lotus 72 D from the 1972 season and the 1972 World Chamionship of Makes Winning Ferrari 312 PB.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-22-2015, 02:03 AM
I was pleased to come across this site with photos by Bill Wagenblatt of the same 1973 International racing Car Show.
Check out these excellent photos and also his site at "Trackthoughts.com "

http://trackthoughts.com/2008/11/03/london-racing-car-show/

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and our very best for 2016.

It has been quite a trip down memory lane and thanks TRS for letting me share the journey.

( I first met Judy in London in Sept. 1972 and she still puts up with me after all these years !)
She is also the reason I did not return to "The Land of the Long White Cloud " as I had originally planned.

Christmas in London. 1972

(Ken Hyndman )

John H
12-22-2015, 09:28 PM
She looks nice Ken but so do the F1 cars of the day. :)
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas and our very best for 2016.

It has been quite a trip down memory lane and thanks TRS for letting me share the journey.

( I first met Judy in London in Sept. 1972 and she still puts up with me after all these years !)
She is also the reason I did not return to "The Land of the Long White Cloud " as I had originally planned.

Christmas in London. 1972

(Ken Hyndman )

GPBK
12-22-2015, 10:41 PM

(Ken Hyndman )[/QUOTE]

Looking like half of a Swedish Pop Group there. I don't think I would have come back either.

Best wishes Ken.

khyndart in CA
12-23-2015, 12:03 AM
Yes I thought I had it made until the polio type virus struck Judy in 1980.

She still "rocks" in my eyes.

KJH

khyndart in CA
12-23-2015, 07:46 PM
During the off season some of the F 1 teams are working on new ways to gain more grip !

Merry Christmas to all of you in the middle of summer and everywhere else !

( Ken Hyndman )

Allan
12-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Season's greetings Ken. I like most who belong to this forum have enjoyed your posts and comments. Please keep up the good work.
Kind regards to you and your's,
Allan Cameron

khyndart in CA
12-24-2015, 01:13 AM
I do have to admit there are times when I miss the "good ol' days" such as having lunch in Morrinsville and hanging out at Spinner Black's and watching one of the best saloon cars in the country just sit out in the street on that custom trailer !
Very fond memories for me.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-24-2015, 01:22 AM
I know this is blurry but I took this photo of Allan Moffat at Warwick Farm in 1970 and he seemed to be wearing a different type of helmet/uniform.
Could anyone advise me on this please.
Thanks.
Ken H

(Ken Hyndman photo )

khyndart in CA
12-24-2015, 06:07 PM
I found this scrapbook photo from 1969, the first year that Allan Moffat had raced his Mustang.
It shows; Norm Beechey in his Monaro finding out that the "Boss" had arrived !

(Ken Hyndman scrapbook )

Terry S
12-24-2015, 11:23 PM
I know this is blurry but I took this photo of Allan Moffat at Warwick Farm in 1970 and he seemed to be wearing a different type of helmet/uniform.
Could anyone advise me on this please.
Thanks.
Ken H

(Ken Hyndman photo )

Ken, isn't it just his arm out the window waving on a slow down lap?

Grant Sprague
12-25-2015, 03:11 AM
Ha ha love it thanks Ken for the grin .. all good All the best Grant & Kylie ps love to Judy

khyndart in CA
12-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Terry,
You are probably correct. I remember reading somewhere that Allan Moffat had problems keeping cool in the Mustang when racing and he tried a form of cooling his suit and I thought this photo may have shown something like that.
Hey if internal cooling was an issue he could have tried this set up !

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Warwick Farm. 1970.
Pete Geoghegan and Allan Moffat really going all out. It was classic to watch.

( Ken Hyndman photo )

khyndart in CA
12-29-2015, 11:25 PM
I need help please in identifying the driver in this # 2 Porsche being driven at Oran Park and in the paddock area at Amaroo Park.
Thanks.

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Terry S
12-30-2015, 12:15 AM
[QUOTE=khyndart in CA;50665]I need help please in identifying the driver in this # 2 Porsche being driven at Oran Park and in the paddock area at Amaroo Park.
Thanks.

I think that is Bill Brown in the Scuderia Veloce Porsche

Rod Grimwood
12-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Think you right Terry

khyndart in CA
12-30-2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks Terry,
I could not find any photos or information that Bill Brown drove a # 2 Porsche but he did drive for the Scuderia Veloce Team of David McKay in 1970.
KJH.

Dale Harvey
12-30-2015, 03:34 AM
Yes, Bill Brown is correct.
Dale.

khyndart in CA
12-31-2015, 06:19 AM
We read about the exploits of drivers, owners, designers etc. but very little is ever mentioned of all the invaluable work done by the mechanics. It can be a thankless job unless you are on a top team and the hours are often long and sometimes you know can you can drive better than some rich playboy who has just spun into the embankment again and you have to stay up all night trying to get it all together for the next day and hope he /she does not do it again !

Anyway I admire all of you MECHANICS and may you all have a wonderful New Year.

(Ken Hyndman )

Terry S
12-31-2015, 06:40 AM
[QUOTE=khyndart in CA;50615]Terry,
You are probably correct. I remember reading somewhere that Allan Moffat had problems keeping cool in the Mustang when racing and he tried a form of cooling his suit and I thought this photo may have shown something like that

I remember at Warwick Farm seeing Moffat in the Mustang wearing an oxygen mask connected to a tank on the rear seat.
The Improved Production regulations at the time demanded full internal fit-out including carpets.
Moffat was claiming the hot exhausts under the car were causing the carpets to start burning and give off heavy fumes.
This was generally accepted to be an attempt to get the rules changed (at which he was an expert) to delete carpets.

Another example was in an ATTC at Barbagello in the RX7. It was only a relatively short race but he made what many considered an unnecessary pit stop. I can't remember the full details but it was believed he was trying to get a rule change for the upcoming Bathurst race.

Allan
12-31-2015, 08:57 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere that he drove into the pits to have the "allegedly" smoldering carpets doused with a bucket of water.

khyndart in CA
12-31-2015, 09:36 PM
When I went to England in 1972, Alistair Caldwell was one of the mechanics I admired as he had started at the bottom at McLaren's and worked his way up. I watched the team at work during practice for the 1973 British Grand Prix at Silverstone and how they prepared 3 team cars to qualify on the first 3 rows of the grid was a great achievement which has never been repeated. Alistair was leading the way in the pits.
Here is an 1973 article about Alistair.

Alistair Caldwell on the right is checking Jody Scheckter's M23 as Ronnie Peterson goes down pit road at Silverstone in his Lotus 72 E. Phil Kerr is on the left.

Alistair's career is covered well on his site.
http://www.alastaircaldwell.com/

( Ken Hyndman.. photo)

khyndart in CA
01-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Two weeks in the life of Lotus Formula One mechanics in 1978.

Lotus Team mechanics,Silverstone, 1973. (Note the secretive working conditions. Not !)

(Ken Hyndman photo )

khyndart in CA
01-01-2016, 07:29 AM
I will sign off with a signed photograph of the winning driver for Lotus in 1978, American, Mario Andretti.

Once again, I hope you all have a wonderful 2016

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
01-03-2016, 09:55 AM
October 21, 1973. Brands Hatch. Formula 3 grid.
I took this photo of the front of the grid just before the start. Unfortunately the car in the centre of the front row has an official blocking the driver who is Tony Brise. Two years later at Long Beach I talked to Tony about this race which he went on to win. There is a story which I will complete tomorrow if anyone is interested.
Formula 3 fields were large and exciting with up to 40 cars and loaded with future stars.
In this photo on the front row with Tony is Ian Taylor in # 1. Michel Leclere is in# 55 A Alpine A3468
# 4 car is Masami Kawashima.
# 25 is Alan Jones in his GRD, # 61 is another Australian, Larry Perkins in his Brabham BT 41.

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Grant Ellwood
01-04-2016, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=khyndart in CA;50712]I will sign off with a signed photograph of the winning driver for Lotus in 1978, American, Mario Andretti.

Ken, did you work with Nigel Bennett, I just finished reading his autobiography "Inspired to Design"? He had a great career with Lotus, Lola, Penske and a great working relationship with Mario. NB quietlyachieved a lot in both F1 and Indycar ( CART in those days).
Happy New Year!

Michael Clark
01-04-2016, 01:41 AM
I am interested in the story Ken - no doubt you have read 'Lost Generation' by David Tremayne about Williamson, Brise and Pryce - a superb book.

khyndart in CA
01-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Grant,
I was only at Trojan Racing and Lola and Nigel were the competition !. He was highly regarded and Patrick Head worked with him as they developed the Lola T 260 for Can Am and Jackie Stewart to drive in 1971. That was before Patrick came to Trojan.
Thanks for the book recommendation.
Ken.

khyndart in CA
01-05-2016, 01:10 AM
Brands Hatch. October 1973 Formula 3 race.
Some more album pictures of the race.

At the start Leclere had rain tires on his good looking Alpine # 55 and took the lead.

Tony Brise in his March 733 # 5 stayed close through the first few corners then passed for the lead by the 2nd lap.

Tony stayed in front for the rest of the race. By winning the race and Alan Jones finishing in sixth place, Tony had enough points to win the 1973 John Player Formula 3 International Championship.
You can see from the results what a large and talented field it was. Formula 3 was an exciting spring board for many great drivers.

John Player Formula 3 International Championship
Brands Hatch, 21 Oct 1973
Results Laps Time/Speed
1 Tony Brise March 733 [21] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#5 Team Kent Messenger Racing 30 0.48.26.2
98.47 mph
2 Russell Wood March 733 [3] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#15 The Chequered Flag 30 0.48.28.0
3 Ian Taylor March 733 - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#1 Chris Andrews 30 0.48.28.6
4 Christian Ethuin Martini MK12 [004] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#52 Motul-La Defense 30 0.48.44.6
5 Larry Perkins Brabham BT41 [31] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#61 Team Cowangie 30 0.48.45.0
6 Alan Jones GRD 373 [060-F3] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#25 DART Racing with GRD 30 0.49.01.2
7 Jacques Laffite Martini MK12 [005?] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#50 BP Racing 30 0.49.16.6
8 Richard Robarts March 733 [4] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#11 Myson Racing 30 0.49.28.4
9 "Teleco" March 733 [15] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#16 Angeleri March Racing Brazil 30 0.49.28.4
10 Jean-Pierre Paoli Martini MK12 [007?] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#49 BP Racing 30 0.49.40.6
11 Derek Lawrence Ehrlich ES2 - Ford twin cam Ehrlich
#59 Dr Joseph Ehrlich 30 0.49.50.0
12 Mo Harness March 733 [25] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#20 Team Modus Racing with Shellsport 29 0.48.49.6
13 Alain Serpaggi Alpine A364B [3648] - Renault R16 Dudot
#56 Alpine Renault 29 0.49.05.4
14 Danny Sullivan March 723 - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#64 29 0.49.21.6
15 Randy Lewis Brabham BT41 [16] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#43 Wrangler Racing Team 28 0.48.48.6
16 Jimmy Fuller Brabham BT38C [19] - Ford twin cam Holbay
#46 ADM Business Systems Ltd 28 0.49.46.2
17 Roelof Wunderink Ensign LNF3/71 [71.2] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#57 28 0.50.08.0
18 Philippe Albera March 733 [23] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#7 Antar March 27 Not running
19 Per-Olof Zetterström Brabham BT41 [21] - Ford twin cam Holbay
#65 Alladin Racing 27 0.48.42.6
NC Ulf Svensson Brabham BT41 [14] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#45 26 0.49.24.0
R Barrie Maskell Dastle Mk10 - Ford twin cam
#60 Competition Car/Hesketh Racing 23
R Max Jean ("Jean Max") Martini MK12 [003] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#51 Motul-La Defense 20 Handling
R Michel Leclère Alpine A364B [3649] - Renault R16 Dudot
#55 Alpine Renault 17 Puncture
R Masami Kuwashima March 733 [18] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#4 Reystan Racing 16 Accident at Dingle Dell
R John MacDonald Brabham BT41 [30] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#29 15
R Conny Andersson March 733 [16] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#14 Ge-Kås Kläder 9 Accident
R Bernard Béguin Martini MK12 [002] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#48 Ecurie Volants Shell 7
R Pierre-François Rousselot March 733 [22?] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#8 6
R Tony Rouff GRD 373 [059-F3] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#27 DART Racing with GRD 4 Clutch
R Lella Lombardi Brabham BT41 [18] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#44 4 Wrong tires
R Gunnar Nordström GRD 373 [048-F3] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#30 Karlsons Klister Racing Team 3 Accident
R José Espírito Santo March 733 [6] - Ford twin cam Mohr
#19 3
R Mike Wilds March 733 [26] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#3 Dempster International Racing Team
(see note 1)
2 Accident at Westfield
R Brian Henton Ensign LNF3/73 - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#36 1 Accident at Hawthorn
R Jean Ragnotti March 733 [24] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#6 Antar March 1
DNS Alain Cudini Martini MK12 [001] - Ford twin cam Holbay
#69 Ecurie Elf Did not start
DNS Buzz Buzaglo March 733 [723-1] - Ford twin cam Novamotor
#66 Did not start
DNS Bernard Chevanne Martini MK12 [006] - Ford twin cam Holbay
#68 Ecurie Volant Shell Did not start
DNQ Lionel Friedrich March 733 [13] - Ford twin cam Holbay R73
#2 Did not qualify
DNQ Matt Spitzley March 733 [7] - Ford twin cam Brown
#62 Did not qualify
DNQ Rod Smith GRD 372 [030-F3] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#63 Did not qualify
DNQ Ole Vejlund Ensign LNF3/72 - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#34 Did not qualify
DNQ Håkan Dahlqvist Merlyn Mk 22 [440/F3/73] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#41 Karlsons Klister Racing Team Did not qualify
DNA Max Bonnin March 733 [723-5?] - Ford twin cam Holbay
#9 Nota Interim Did not arrive
DNA Roger Hurst March 733 [713M-6] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#22 (see note 2)
Did not arrive
DNA Pedro Passadore GRD 373 - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#26 DART Racing with GRD Did not arrive
DNA Mike Tyrrell Ensign LNF3 - Ford twin cam Holbay
#38 Marc Gregory Property Developers Did not arrive
DNA Val Musetti Royale RP11A [6] - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#58 (see note 3)
Did not arrive
DNA Bjorn Stenberg Brabham BT41 - Ford twin cam Vegantune
#67 Did not arrive
All cars are 1.6-litre F3 unless noted.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
01-05-2016, 01:43 AM
I am interested in the story Ken - no doubt you have read 'Lost Generation' by David Tremayne about Williamson, Brise and Pryce - a superb book.
Michael,
Yes, David Tremayne's book is excellent and he kindly sent me a signed paperback copy.
My personal story was after Tony Brise's great but unsuccessful drive at the first Long Beach F 5000 race in Sept. 1975 where I was a goffer on the Theodore Team, we all went to the "Queen Mary" for the awards function. Tony was sitting at our table and I mentioned to him that he had come a long way in the 2 years since I had seen him win at the 1973 Formula 3 race at Brands Hatch. He admitted that had been a highlight for him to win there and that he had finally been noticed. We also talked on how he had married his Janet one week before I had married my Judy in June / July 1974. I also invited them both to come and visit us in San Diego and get away from an English winter and Teddy Yip said he could stay at Teddy's La Jolla home. I know Tony liked the idea but he had to get back to England to develop and test the new Embassy Hill Formula One car.
How shattered we were when that news came in of the late November 1975 plane crash.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
01-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Brands Hatch. October 1973

Brands Hatch as it is today. ( note the difference in advertising !)

(Ken Hyndman,top photo.... justgoldhospitality.co.uk,lower photo )

khyndart in CA
01-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Jan 17. 2016.
Something a bit different but something with "heaps of grunt".

"SuperDraco" engines that can take a rocket from 0 to 100 mph in 1.2 seconds !

I know this is a motorsport site but I wanted to share something that most of you do not get the opportunity to witness.
We live in California about 30 miles from the Vandenberg Air force Base which is also the place where rockets are launched on the West coast of the USA. So while many of you went to see cars rocket around Hampton Downs on Sunday, I went with a friend to the base to watch this rocket launch today. Unfortunately so did a lot of others after being told the weather was perfect for a launch and therefore the roads were very packed. When we arrived the fog had rolled in and by launch time we could hardly see a thing. But the launch was a success and just hearing the noise and feeling the ground shake was an awesome experience.
As you read the following you will see the end result was not a complete success. (Ouch ! )

On the crowded road to the launch site just over the hills on the left and the fog is hiding all the action.
(Ken Hyndman photo )

Launch site the day before minus the fog. (NASA photo )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMGmDYFCQ3c
The launch of the rocket.

Read through this site to see what happened off the coast near San Diego.

http://gizmodo.com/watch-as-spacex-launches-new-ocean-satellite-and-attemp-1753411190

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
01-19-2016, 01:10 AM
A pity all the hard work, preparation and expense came down to the failure of a support arm not locking in place.
This was an expensive failure after coming so close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd9ySTUVEMA

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
02-23-2016, 08:26 PM
I came across this photo that was stuck in the back of a binder. It has some water damage but it does show Ken Smith working at the front of his Lotus 41 along with other team members. (Is that his father helping to pour in the fuel ? ) I think the photo was taken at Pukekohe in late September, 1969.
Any input on the exhaust system would be appreciated as I thought it originally came out below the left 1/2 shaft. Is it a 1.6 litre engine or 1.5 twin cam engine ? Thanks everybody.

(Ken Hyndman photo )

khyndart in CA
02-24-2016, 06:14 AM
As I was saying. The Lotus 41 used to have the exhaust come out below the left half shaft.
(Ooops ! )
(Somewhere in South America in 1968 I think )

(Photographer unknown.)

(Ken Hyndman )

GD66
02-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Nice work ! Yes Ken ran the 41 as a 1.5, virtually all the tc cars were 1.5 until the FVAs arrived. The car was often called a 41B, I have no idea if it was but it was ex-Chas Lucas Engineering. In the pic with Morrie holding the funnel it looks to be in its blue livery, so the high-level pipe would have been a heat-resistant pale yellow. Originally Kenny ran it in crisp white with red Coke advertising roundels. From admittedly-tortured memory the exhaust was chrome at that time.

khyndart in CA
02-24-2016, 06:29 PM
Thank you GD66.
That was an excellent answer and I appreciate it.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
02-25-2016, 12:39 AM
Here are two more photos of the Ken Smith Lotus 41 after it had grown a rear spoiler. A lot like the 1969 Tasman Ferrari.
(Photos thanks to Gavin..PALLMALL )

Note how the rear wing puts down force on the engine and chassis on the Lotus 41 in comparison
to the F1 Lotus 49 that in 1969 had the rear wing applying force to the rear suspension which by the time they got to Barcelona for the F1 GP the wing designs were collapsing with disastrous results for the Lotus F1 team and all high wings were subsequently banned.
(Jochen Rindt before and during his rear high wing collapsing crash at Barcelona in 1969 )

(Ken Hyndman )

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Los Olivos. California. March 6. 2016
Here is a slight change of scenery.
I trundled my 1962 Austin Mini Cooper into town today and found this 2016 BMW M8 crouching next to my parking space. I just wanted to show the old and the new and to let you know that I am a very proud senior citizen and owner of a car that still gets a lot of attention from the ladies that climb out of the fancy new cars much to the chagrin of the owners of both the BMW and the Porsche !..
. Long live original classic Mini Coopers !

( Ken Hyndman )

SPman
03-07-2016, 12:59 PM
No contest Ken...........

khyndart in CA
03-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Happiness in the Hyndman driveway is when the boys in their sixties can get out in their toys from the sixties.

( Ken Hyndman photo )

Grant Sprague
03-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Great stuff Ken , Thank you .......... Grant

khyndart in CA
04-06-2016, 08:41 PM
When I was reading about the early driving days of Jim Richards, it mentioned he had driven at the 1/4 mile sprints at Tamahere between Hamilton and Cambridge in the 1960s. The Bruntwood straight, Waharoa airfield, Matamata road races and Raglan were some of my earliest memories of car racing. As I have previously posted, I enjoyed this entry by "Amco72"
"I found this wonderful description of the Bruntwood 1/4 mile written about 5 years ago by "Amco72".

" Anyone remember the standing and flying 1/4 mile sprints that the Hamilton Car Club held on the Bruntwood straight.....was on the back road between Hamilton and Cambridge. At that time, 1967, there were only about two farm houses down that stretch of road and most of the land either side was owned by a rough-as-guts farmer....Walter Byrne. I had a farm just a mile further on from the 'straight' in Mills road and used to attend this, what was an annual event. The last time I saw Logan Fow and the Ferrari GTO was there...wish I'd had a camera. Another competitor was Dennis Marwood in the Humber 80. Walter, the rough-as guts' farmer had a Daimler SP250 which he used to literally blow the cobwebs out of. Also a strange early front engined dragster powered by a WW2 Allison aircraft engine.....the type that powered the Mustang...the American fighter/bomber that is. I remember the 'officials' getting all us spectators well back from the road before they would let this thing go. Had a remote starter that plugged into the side. It certainly sounded the part but was disappointing as far as time was concerned, popping and banging it's way down the course. Logan could have given it 100 meters start and still beaten it in the GTO. There was also another very rough, and I mean ROUGH, old HWM sports car..maroon in colour with disc wheels that had been hugely extended. I recall this because not only had they been extended but also had pieces of steel strip spaced round the wheel like spokes to strengthen the widened piece. One of the strips had FALLEN OFF...shonky welding....and the owner was attempting to remove the strip opposite to try and balance the wheel.!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine that flying off when the car was doing a run. Anyway it was just a heap of junk, although probably hugely valuable today. I think Marwood had a better time. But everyone was there having a go with scrutinering in an adjacent paddock. One competitor with a Wolseley 6/99 was having a 'discussion' with the official who had just failed the Wolseley because of a worn tie-rod end. The said competitor was really getting very wound up and giving the tester a tune-up, telling him that the car would be OK because 'he was a mechanic and knew about these things'. Imagine that today.......'on yer bike sonny'. ".

Thank you Gerald,
That description certainly brought back memories for me.

I am sure these guys were entered at Tamahere before the days of the " Motordrome Team" and the "Fleetwood" Mustang.
( Ken Hyndman ..scrapbook cutting )
If anyone has a Tamahere memory or photo etc. please share it..thanks.

khyndart in CA
04-06-2016, 11:04 PM
I remember going to an airshow at Rukuhia which is the airport area for Hamilton in 1956. Due to the large crowd we had to enter from the side near the Waikato River and as we drove in all the gullies were filled with WW 2 American aircraft in various stages of being stripped of useful parts. Imagine what they would be worth now. It is probably where the Mustang Allison engine came from. I think it was all bulldozed over to make way for the airport expansion and Mystery Creek etc.

(Ken Hyndman )

Oldfart
04-07-2016, 12:34 AM
Ken, did you ever go into Valentines in Hamilton where the war surplus stuff was sold, much of it from those planes being dismantled at Rukuhia. I remember large numbers of Corsairs too.

GD66
04-07-2016, 01:08 AM
Can't 100% remember the name of the intrepid Allison dragster pilot, but I think it may have been Bill Grant.

John McKechnie
04-07-2016, 01:54 AM
Ken- this is for you on the HWM-#221
At the January festival this year Graeme Park introduced me to Graham Hellen who ran the HWM at these events Gerald Fogg talked about.
Graeme said he was racing his Coupe against Graham at the time in about 1965.
GP said he went to GHs place one night and got taken for a big blat on the Ngatea straights doing 130mph.
When they got back GP noticed tyres were down to canvas.

John McKechnie
04-07-2016, 01:55 AM
Ken- this is for you on the HWM-#221
GH is still around running in the Time Trials at Hampton Downs, and a flaggy at Leadfoot this year.
I asked him about the HWM and he said that he owned it as a young guy, no cash....... hence condition.
This is his recollection-
Originally was a 1950s F1 car which the factory turned 12 into sports racing cars for the likes of Stirling Moss to compete.
The powerful ALTA racing motors were removed and others fitted.
Avery Bros , Hamilton who had Melville reconditioners imported it and fitted a 272.
He got it from John Donnely from Auckland and is sure Bob Friend used to help him.
Corvette motor and Jaguar gearbox were the running gear.-1965.
He took the motor out to 304, new pistons.
Always annoying with the brakes and finally after a run at Puke , took the front stub axles off to change the brakes.
While the stub axle was in the vice at a workshop, a guy came up with a large hammer and whacked it, the stub axle broke clean in half across the face. The other guy had seen the crack and acted accordingly.
They were Vanguard and only 15 years old.
New ones were fitted.
Also while racing the 2 x4 barrel carbs kept flooding in the corners, so he got a inlet manifold and 3x2 barrel Rochester from the USA.
Car went from him to John Monyhan- see Stanton Corvette.
Finally after the $350k resto, he sat in it again and declared it still felt the same.
Car runs in UK with Gentleman Racers.
His words here- thank you for your memories Graham.

rogered
04-07-2016, 02:31 AM
Can't 100% remember the name of the intrepid Allison dragster pilot, but I think it may have been Bill Grant.

correct

khyndart in CA
04-07-2016, 04:08 AM
Ken, did you ever go into Valentines in Hamilton where the war surplus stuff was sold, much of it from those planes being dismantled at Rukuhia. I remember large numbers of Corsairs too.
Rhys,
I remember mum waiting for dad as he went through Valentines. One day we got an old army surplus jeep for running around the farm.
That is what I learnt to drive in before going out on the road. That thing could go anywhere except when it got away from my brother as he closed a gate and it went ripping down a hill and the impact at the bottom broke the crankshaft. Dad converted it into a trailer. See, just another memory that you revived.Thanks.
John,
Thanks for the great stories about the HWM.
When you get a chance read this site;

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/149273-early-waikato-motorsport/

Thanks guys,
Ken H

Oldfart
04-07-2016, 05:18 AM
That dragster ran in a meet in Matamata down Rawhiti Ave. Started just town side of Price Terrace. We lived on the corner, free grandstand, but then everyone was free anyway. That must have been in the same years as the Round the Houses or close to.
I also had a go at Bruntwood, one year in the Husky and later in the MGA

khyndart in CA
04-07-2016, 06:55 AM
Rhys,
Did you live in Matamata, near where this photo was taken by Terry Marshall in 1965 ?
His friend Bryan Innes is in his Mini Cooper chasing Rod Coppins Zephyr Corvette.
Wonderful memories, life seemed so simple and fun back then. (Actually it still is.)
(Terry Marshall photo..Matamata road races 1965 )

( Ken Hyndman )

Oldfart
04-07-2016, 07:01 AM
Yes Ken, I reckon that is the corner of Hohaia and Tamihana Sts. Cop the understeer on Bryan's car!
My dad was the town clerk who approved the Round the Houses going ahead. Story there relating to my best school friend now left us.

khyndart in CA
04-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Here is the TRS thread on the HWM.
http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?1809-HWM-Sports&highlight=amco72

(KH)

khyndart in CA
09-15-2016, 10:35 PM
A flash back to August 1991 of a present F1 driver, Jenson Button.
A wonderful racing career lay ahead for this young lad. Is it coming to an end ?
(Autosport August 1991.)

(Ken Hyndman.)

khyndart in CA
10-04-2016, 12:54 AM
So while many of you out there are working on V-8s, V-6s, twin cams et. etc. Hyndman was struggling with 4 cylinder Mini issues.
My 62 Mini Cooper had bores that were oval and smoked so bad I could only drive at night plus the gearbox was worn and hard to find parts for. Also I am cheap and have a back that does not bend and I did not want to pay somebody to do the work.
I found a seized 1985 A+ engine and gearbox with shift linkage about to be used as landfill. Sparkplugs had been left out and it was full of water !
I located a decent 1100 block and put in new pistons and mated the later gearbox up to it and with the bigger drive shafts and brakes have been putting it slowly back together plus some ale and "Aleve".
I started it up this weekend and now cruising the local roads again after a 6 month break.
Some photos to show the different stages and now out with the "Big Boys" again.
(Note the alternative transportation in the background.)
He had to pull over when he realized he could not get away ! (Dream on Hyndman.)
(I was not the only Kiwi in Los Olivos on Saturday night.)
(Ken Hyndman )

10-04-2016, 01:03 AM
flash tow car for just a mini, ken

khyndart in CA
10-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Hey, I think I did pretty good for an almost 68 year old working alone. We are a disappearing breed as no one here wants to work on original minis. They would rather tear them up and put in Honda V-Tech engines !
I still like the look of mine with Austin 1100 front seats to help my back.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
10-04-2016, 09:22 PM
Some Bay Park old photos. Perhaps some of you are in the crowd scenes. I need help with naming the cars and drivers and when. Sorry about the quality but you all encourage to put in what we have as it is better than not at all and someone may recall something from these events.
I also want to ask again about the sports car lined up in front of my brother's Mini at the back here at Bay Park.
Also this was the first time McRae had the McLaren M10A out on the track alongside Graham Lawrence's Ferrari.

OK. I need help with these please. Who and when etc.

( Ken Hyndman photos )

khyndart in CA
10-05-2016, 08:35 PM
I found this Mike Feisst photo of the Nov. 16 1969 race where Graham McRae first drove the McLaren M10A # 22 at Bay Park.
Plus some other photos from that day.
(Mike Feisst photo ) (Thanks Mike )

Loading the McLaren after practice.

(Nervously watching my brother start this race. )

(Ken Hyndman photos )

10-05-2016, 09:43 PM
:cool:in the last photo Ken, you are living proof of the effectiveness of modern health and safety regs. no pit wall. no fence, no tyres, I am impressed that you survived

10-05-2016, 09:44 PM
in the last photo Ken, you are living proof of the effectiveness of modern health and safety regs. no pit wall. no fence, no tyres, I am impressed that you survived

seaqnmac27
10-06-2016, 01:11 AM
OK. I need help with these please. Who and when etc.

( Ken Hyndman photos )

So, Elfin leading? on main straight

Escorts of Halliday and Riichards leading an Imp

falcons of Richards and Francevic? leading 2 Toranas

khyndart in CA
10-06-2016, 01:34 AM
Thanks Sean,
I have some more scratchy photos of hanging around Bay Park.
Along the back straight in October 1969 which was a fun day until the terrible incident when Barry Thomason's Brabham spun and rolled entering the straight and the roll bar caused injuries to his back and neck from which he never fully recovered.

Dawson leading Fahey ? in their Mustangs.
Grahame Harvey in his Elfin Chevrolet alongside Jim Boyd in his 1966 Lola T70

Jim Boyd in the beautiful Cambridge Team Lola T 70

As Ray Green's wonderful photos show this car still looks great today. 2016 at Goodwood.

As in # 971 and # 975.

http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?853-Just-A-Mix-Of-Pics-Ray-Green-Collection/page49

(Ken Hyndman photos )

John McKechnie
10-06-2016, 05:25 AM
with the 2 Mustangs , it should be john Riley in the white Mustang,. Fahey was in his Escort .

khyndart in CA
10-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Dec. 28. 1969.
My last photo at Bay Park. Shows the start of the F 5000 race in front of a crowd of over 27,000.
Pole setter Graham McRae (McLaren M10A )leads Graeme Lawrence (Ferrari 2500 )and eventual winner Ron Grable ( Don Williams McLaren M10A-Chev-Traco ) away at the start.

(Ken Hyndman )

Roger Dowding
10-07-2016, 02:08 AM
Thanks Sean,
I have some more scratchy photos of hanging around Bay Park.
Along the back straight in October 1969 which was a fun day until the terrible incident when Barry Thomason's Brabham spun and rolled entering the straight and the roll bar caused injuries to his back and neck from which he never fully recovered.

Dawson leading Fahey ? in their Mustangs.
Grahame Harvey in his Elfin Chevrolet alongside Jim Boyd in his 1966 Lola T70

Jim Boyd in the beautiful Cambridge Team Lola T 70

As Ray Green's wonderful photos show this car still looks great today. 2016 at Goodwood.

As in # 971 and # 975.

http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?853-Just-A-Mix-Of-Pics-Ray-Green-Collection/page49

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Ken, they towed the Lola with that Holden !! .. no such thing as drawbar limits and vehicle towing capacity back then ..

khyndart in CA
10-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Today I had to do something you do not have to do in NZ.
Stop and let the Tarantula cross the road !

( A scared Ken Hyndman photo )

John McKechnie
10-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Not the Goliath Birdeater variety whose leg span is 12 inches across- fully grown ?
So , why did the Tarantula cross the road................?

Michael Clark
10-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Great plate

khyndart in CA
10-07-2016, 07:32 PM
So , why did the Tarantula cross the road................?

To slow the Kiwi down so he would not fly.....by.

John McKechnie
10-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Ken- thats a pretty good return.