PDA

View Full Version : Intro - Bernard Mathews

Bernard Mathews
06-07-2014, 02:55 AM
Hello fellow petrol-heads,

I have just been introduced to this site - awesome! I own the Vampire VK which was built in Wanganui during the late 1960's/early 1970's. I purchased it in 1984 while I was working in Palmerston North. I originally grew up in Wanganui where I first saw the Vampire at the Motor Show in 1973, or thereabouts. Being only about 13 or 14 years old at the time, I remember saying to my dad "I want one of those when I grow up!" And so I saw an advert in the Cars for Sale column described as 'Sports Car' with no further description. When i called the number and asked what model car was being sold he said that it was a home built car called the VK Vampire - the deal was done in about 1/2 hour!

During the racing season (Sept - Mar) I am the Start/Finish flag marshall here at Teretonga. One of the biggest meetings on their calendar is the Historic meeting held in Febrauary where all manner of cars from NZ's racing past come to play.

Frosty5
06-07-2014, 03:32 AM
Hi Bernard, welcome aboard to the best website on the planet. Only Vampire I know of was used by the RNZAF. Perhaps you could post some photos of your car here. Be great to see. Good to have you here. Cheers Dave Graham

Bernard Mathews
06-07-2014, 04:27 AM

Two photos taken 2009 of Vampire VK.

225sloper
06-08-2014, 01:24 AM
I am pleased that this car is still arround,as a young boy my granny lived next to Vince Keats who built the Vampire VK and i use to look over the fence and watch as this car was getting built.Was a fantastic looking car in its day,nice bronze paint,i also saw it at the Motor Show.I have put a thread on this site about the Vampire VK with a couple of photos i found in NZ Hot Rod Magazine.

Bernard Mathews
06-08-2014, 02:24 AM
Hi, I have another magazine article on the Vampire - NZ Motorman January 1973. I hope to post this article some time in the near future.

225sloper
06-08-2014, 03:47 AM
Cool,will be good to read. . .post it in the Vampire VK where is it now thread.

Steve Holmes
07-23-2014, 01:49 AM
Hi there Bernard, welcome to The Roaring Season. Its great to have you on here. Thanks so much for joining and posting pics of the Vampire. Its awesome to see it still survives!