PDA

View Full Version : Tulloch inks deal on rare Camaro GT3 racer

Bryan
08-28-2014, 11:01 PM
Tulloch inks deal on rare Camaro GT3 racer (http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/10433859/Tulloch-inks-deal-on-rare-Camaro-GT3-racer)

Southland motor-racing icon "Inky" Tulloch is importing a rare Chevrolet Camaro racer in GT3 spec for key New Zealand events.

Tulloch, the former Mayor of Mataura and Gore District and a successful businessman, has previously won numerous NZ and Australian motor racing titles in his four-plus decades of motorsport, including seven super truck championships.

The veteran has, however, developed a growing interesting in endurance racing and recently took the opportunity to test drive a 650 hp 7.9-litre V8 Camaro in Italy.

Stuff story with plenty more details and photos. :D

Terry S
08-29-2014, 03:26 AM
Tulloch inks deal on rare Camaro GT3 racer (http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/10433859/Tulloch-inks-deal-on-rare-Camaro-GT3-racer)

Stuff story with plenty more details and photos. :D

When did Tulloch win even one Australian motor racing title?

Spgeti
08-29-2014, 03:33 AM

Truck racing x 3 times I believe.

Grant Sprague
08-29-2014, 03:46 AM
When did Tulloch win even one Australian motor racing title? Well done Inky..never too old .......might spur a few more on ..........

Oldfart
08-29-2014, 03:50 AM

Would it have mattered anyway, he is a Kiwi!

VWMS
09-06-2014, 09:31 AM

2011 and 2012

Australian Production endurance Championships

Kwaussie
09-06-2014, 01:08 PM

So that's five - how many do you want? [bet he could post a photo if he wanted to!]

Jac Mac
09-06-2014, 07:29 PM
Car must have a FIA dispensation to run the exhaust out thru front fender?, everything else seems to have it finish @50%+ of wheelbase.

worsel
09-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Schedule A 5.2 Exhaust system:
(1) General Requirements: All vehicles shall be fitted with an efficient and effective
silencer that:
(a) Ensures noise emissions do not exceed 95dBA (refer Part One Article 3.8), and
(b) Is securely mounted to the vehicle, and
(c) Is isolated from the cockpit, either beneath the floor or surrounded by gas tight
ducting, and
(d) Ensures all exhaust gases exit the perimeter of the vehicle behind the mid-point
of the wheelbase except where an allowance is granted by MotorSport NZ and
noted in the vehicles MotorSport NZ Logbook.
(e) Does not protrude more than 150mm beyond the bodywork.

Rod Grimwood
09-07-2014, 07:48 PM
We should be the same as the States, 105dBA

09-07-2014, 08:01 PM
saw a photo recently of 106dba max at a uk track that is better and an industry standard

Jac Mac
09-07-2014, 08:06 PM
Was looking at manufacturers specs last nite for several different cars, they ranged from 102 to 114 dBA, but sup regs by meeting organisers in various countries contain a regulation where organisers can insist on a lower noise level...... not an easy task on that Camaro as its flat sheet underneath.

Rod Grimwood
09-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Time for the competitor to be looked after in this dBA rubbish. MSNZ are our representative and should listen too and not tell what will be.

09-07-2014, 10:11 PM
you are correct Rod. motor racing is a multimedia show, noise, glamour, spectacle, and speed. a REAL computer game

Carlo
09-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Was looking at manufacturers specs last nite for several different cars, they ranged from 102 to 114 dBA, but sup regs by meeting organisers in various countries contain a regulation where organisers can insist on a lower noise level...... not an easy task on that Camaro as its flat sheet underneath.

Which system of measurement Jac, by that is it as done by the world motorsport bodies where it is a set distance from the racing line under full power etc or is it by the method used by the various transport authorities around the world where it is measured at a set rpm at a certain distance from the tailpipe as there is one hellave difference in the outcome. A car at the limit on the transport authorities test system would probably hardly raise an indication on the motorsport system.

Jac Mac
09-08-2014, 05:59 AM
Which system of measurement Jac, by that is it as done by the world motorsport bodies where it is a set distance from the racing line under full power etc or is it by the method used by the various transport authorities around the world where it is measured at a set rpm at a certain distance from the tailpipe as there is one hellave difference in the outcome. A car at the limit on the transport authorities test system would probably hardly raise an indication on the motorsport system.
The manufacturers info did not specify which method, 114 was for the Ferrari GT3 car & the 102 was the Porsche. Watching, listening to the videos of the Camaro it does not sound that loud, doesn't even seem to rev very high, I was more interested in the apparent freedom of exhaust exit position, if its too loud no doubt the powers that be will enforce the rules in a fair and equal manner!:)
Edit, just checked FIA rules for dbA on ( LMP1 & GTE simply because I have those regs on file ) cars....110dbA 15 meters from car at track edge, do us kiwis value our dbA the same way as our $$??

09-08-2014, 07:12 AM
no,jac mac here we bend over and take it for the minorities. ie 3 noise complaints and a circuit gets a non compliance cert. (made up numbers but you get my drift) democracy does not exist,the pleasure of 20,000 paying spectators can be ruined by 3 people downwind of a track. as rod said the msnz does not represent the competitor at all

gokiwi
09-08-2014, 08:28 AM
It's a big issue here in the UK too, different tracks have different "legal" requirements placed on them and different track's measure them in different way's , there is no consistency.

Kwaussie
09-08-2014, 10:36 AM
If you do not have a planning permit for your location then you should have one.
Venue owners and the issuing authority have agreed in the permit to a number of issues that by law must be adhered to. Noise levels and hours of operation feature in all planning permits. Noise level requirements can vary as to terrain, altitude, proximity of housing, highways etc.
People can jump up and down as much as the like but nothing will change unless a fresh application with amendments is made and this is signed off by all.
MSNZ as far as I know do not own any circuits in New Zealand so really do not have a voice, but they do have to comply with the planning permits for the venues that their affiliated clubs conduct race meetings at.
There is a consistent noise level measurement method available.

Oldfart
09-08-2014, 07:18 PM
KW that may be the case in Oz, but not here. The limits are (have been) placed retrospectively and there is a consistent measure available, it's just that it is not used.

09-08-2014, 07:28 PM
Kwaussie, I wonder how this affects western springs as it was probably built before planning permits were even thought of. So can we apply that standard to all circuits in this country?

09-09-2014, 05:49 AM
Sorry, I cannot help with hours of operation at the springs

Oldfart
09-09-2014, 06:35 PM
Kwaussie, I wonder how this affects western springs as it was probably built before planning permits were even thought of. So can we apply that standard to all circuits in this country?
As you know 928, yes it predates permits as do all bar Hampton Downs. As you also know there is no consistent method used. We know it's available, just that it's not used, perhaps different councils don't want to use the "standard". Let's not re-start this debate, it goes nowhere.

09-09-2014, 07:08 PM
no lets restart this debate and get manz to do something useful for your money and for motorsport
take it off to the thread about noise but get something to happen
i have restarted the noise thread to continue this discussion

Kwaussie
09-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Back to Inky,

http://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/news/10516857/Inky-Tulloch-s-Camaro-bound-to-draw-crowd

Jac Mac
09-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Non- starter in 3 hr, gearbox selection issues according to sth is endurance series facebook page, best time in early practice was 1 min 1.269 sec IIRC which was 2 secs slower than fastest Porsche at that time.. Brilliant weather down here, lots of folk out voting for Dot Com!!:rolleyes:

Rod Grimwood
09-20-2014, 11:30 PM
Jac, they must have been the only couple, as he's gone and the other crap along with him. Perfect scenario would be a Jumbo hauling his fat arse and the other crap out of Mangere, who cares to where.

Any way back to Inky, would expect improvement in times as Inky gets used to the car as he is an exceptional driver and lets hope silly little things like selection problems are sorted quick. Bet it sounds the part, sure looks it.

Jac Mac
09-21-2014, 02:01 AM
Jac, they must have been the only couple, as he's gone and the other crap along with him. Perfect scenario would a Jumbo hauling his fat arse and the other crap out of Mangere, who cars to where.

Any way back to Inky, would expect improvement in times as Inky gets used to the car as he is an exceptional driver and lets hope silly little things like selection problems are sorted quick. Bet it sounds the part, sure looks it.

Would not be Air New Zealand then as the last Jumbo was a week or so back...:)

With paddle shift it was likely electrical, got enough wiring inside to run a small town by look of pics...

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2014, 12:58 AM
Mate don't you love technology, great when it works but a head ache just to know were to start looking when it doesn't.
Stick with me old basic couple moving parts, stick and hand. (no comments)

Jac Mac
09-22-2014, 01:18 AM
You trying to bring this thread to a premature end Rod...? just as well I didn't mention the Camaro gearshift system also employs an air pump and accumulator..

Bryan
09-22-2014, 04:06 AM
Mate don't you love technology, great when it works but a head ache just to know were to start looking when it doesn't.

Just ask Mr Rosberg...:p

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2014, 04:47 AM
You trying to bring this thread to a premature end Rod...? just as well I didn't mention the Camaro gearshift system also employs an air pump and accumulator..

Heard something about how quick the air pump/accumulator work/shift, amazing that it can grab a gear that fast. So Jac you will be up late at night reading and studying up on this for your next project after you build those 5"flares.

Jac Mac
09-22-2014, 08:02 PM
Heard something about how quick the air pump/accumulator work/shift, amazing that it can grab a gear that fast. So Jac you will be up late at night reading and studying up on this for your next project after you build those 5"flares.
No, more likely to go auto at my age! Would still have to overcome the existing issue of getting most of the MSNZ rules changed so it looks doomed to be another 'what if' venture...need the building foam slabs for other things anyway.

Rod Grimwood
09-22-2014, 08:13 PM
I got some moulds for Starlet/Chevette same as on Freeths car

paul lancaster
10-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Hi guys, just had inky and the rest of the endurance clan iat levels.a dnf for inky and grant aitken while leading, with a broken input shaft.what a machine this is, isnt what you would call a loud car, more sounds like an earthquake coming up behind you, withits own distinct notehad inky in the commentary box with me and filled me in a bit on it, it is called a "sireni camaro" built in germany, by the reiter company.7.9 litre,700 hp, paddle shift(which he said is magic).abs, traction control, only 4 built in the world,2 more being built.he plans on running it in the aussie gt championship.qualified only a couple of tenths behind baird in the porsche, which inky was surprised at, as levels is tight and short, well done inky and crew

Grant Sprague
10-21-2014, 04:47 AM
Thanks Paul........ I found this interesting ............. Grant