PDA

View Full Version : Brent Hawes, Timaru

anyinfo
06-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Hi everyone. I have a big favour to ask you. I am the wife of Brent Hawes' son Richard. As Brent died at Ruapuna in 1969 and with Richard just being 4yrs at the time, he knows little of his Father. He has acquired some information over the years however, but is always craving more. I would like to gather information and put together a personal book for Richard on his father. I would be very grateful if anyone has any photos of Brent Hawes or could point me in the direction of any information, both of the man and the driver, or any personal memories they could share with me please. Anything at all would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Steve Holmes
06-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Thats a wonderful thing you're doing and I'm sure there will be people on here who can help. Welcome to the site, its great to have you here.

bob homewood
06-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Hi everyone. I have a big favour to ask you. I am the wife of Brent Hawes' son Richard. As Brent died at Ruapuna in 1969 and with Richard just being 4yrs at the time, he knows little of his Father. He has acquired some information over the years however, but is always craving more. I would like to gather information and put together a personal book for Richard on his father. I would be very grateful if anyone has any photos of Brent Hawes or could point me in the direction of any information, both of the man and the driver, or any personal memories they could share with me please. Anything at all would be helpful. Thanks very much.

Hi by chance I have got quite a few photos etc,some of them you may not have seen,you are welcome to any scans of them,but as they are probably a copyright you will have to PM me and I will give you my contact

grelley
06-27-2011, 04:24 AM
Hi, I think the best person to contact, if you havent already done so would be Leo Leonard in Timaru as he and Brent were business partners and raced a lot together.My brother also played rugby in Timaru with both Brent and Leo.
Regds Grelley

CUSTAXIE50
01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
hi there,i have some old photos and some reports on his racing.allan dick is the man to talk to about what you are after-all the best

CUSTAXIE50
11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi anyinfo,How did you get on with what you were looking for about Richard Dad.Was Allan Dick any help with this Thinking back Today Alan did a story about Brent years ago ,they talked about Brent working over seas may have worked on oil rigs will see if i can look this up and put this story up here.

stubuchanan
11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi anyinfo,How did you get on with what you were looking for about Richard Dad.Was Allan Dick any help with this Thinking back Today Alan did a story about Brent years ago ,they talked about Brent working over seas may have worked on oil rigs will see if i can look this up and put this story up here.

Custaxie50 and anyinfo : - I found the Allan Dick story you mention by chance when looking for something else.
It was originally in "autoNEWS" April 7 1969, and a photocopy was reprinted in full in "Classic Driver" Issue No 14 along with a story of the accident from Allan Dick.

It's an interesting story, from an interview with Brent, I guess, and covers his life from about age 10 to early 1969. Quite an eventful life even before the racing bug set in.

If you don't find it Custax, let me know.

Stu Buchanan

CUSTAXIE50
11-15-2012, 11:10 PM
well done stubuchanan go to the top of the class,i allways like it when a plan works out.thinking again about this there is a photo of brent in a old sports car and one of the front wheels went walk about. there is a story about brent racing at puke it may have been in the b&h 500 in a vauxhall victor, and he came into the pits and they could not get the brake pads out brent had his foot on the brake .there must lots of storys like this that went on in the b&h 500 just look at what they had to race with ,and now look what is been used today out there.may i say it would be great to hear from anyinfo or brents son about how this book is coming along.

Horizon
11-15-2012, 11:38 PM
I would like to learn more. perhaps with Allan Dicks permission, his story could be re-printed here ?

CUSTAXIE50
11-16-2012, 04:06 AM
I have in front of me autonews and have had a look at it and it does not say, i cant talk or put down on paper about a story that they may have put up. if you look at some of what you read today they get it off the net anyway .

stubuchanan
11-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I have in front of me autonews and have had a look at it and it does not say, i cant talk or put down on paper about a story that they may have put up. if you look at some of what you read today they get it off the net anyway .

I have scanned the original 1969 story (5 pages plus a photo) and I'm quite happy to email it to Hawes' son's wife if they haven't seen it already. So long as Allan Dick doesn't object, I can put it up on Roaring Season. Does anyone have his email address or phone number?

Stu

CUSTAXIE50
11-16-2012, 01:27 PM
I had some emails from allan some time back and did return on some of them,but that could have had something to do with his work at that time.because its not working now, i still have this and his phone number but i feel that at this time i dont have the right to put them out . if you would like to know a little about allan and he tells it all on-the grown ups ,which you will get if you go on the net. maybe wait and hear from brents son or his wife but this is only my view.

GD66
11-16-2012, 08:48 PM
You don't have to "put them out", just send them on to Stu using the Private Messages facility at the top of the page. Or contact Allan yourself and ask the question.:)

CUSTAXIE50
11-17-2012, 02:50 AM
my view is no one has the right to give someones number out to anyone ,allan has a lot going on getting fit and well again,and if i was him at this time in my life i would not like people phoning me up but you can look it up like i did.

stubuchanan
11-17-2012, 04:43 AM
my view is no one has the right to give someones number out to anyone ,allan has a lot going on getting fit and well again,and if i was him at this time in my life i would not like people phoning me up but you can look it up like i did.

Thanks Custaxie50. I had his email address from way back and a friend says it is still the same, but if Allan has more pressing things on his mind I wouldn't want to add to any difficulties. As Winnie-The-Pooh said, maybe the best thing to do is nothing (actually think it was Owl).

But I have scanned the story and I can email it to anyone who wants, just send me a Personal Message.

Stu

SPman
01-31-2013, 08:30 AM
At the hairpin at Puke with expired car....

markec
01-31-2013, 08:51 AM
I asked the question off Alan a couple of years ago, his reply was " there are no copywright infringements with the internet".

Russ Cunningham
02-03-2013, 06:19 AM

How lovely that you are doing this for Richard. What a gem you are.

CUSTAXIE50
05-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Hi everyone. I have a big favour to ask you. I am the wife of Brent Hawes' son Richard. As Brent died at Ruapuna in 1969 and with Richard just being 4yrs at the time, he knows little of his Father. He has acquired some information over the years however, but is always craving more. I would like to gather information and put together a personal book for Richard on his father. I would be very grateful if anyone has any photos of Brent Hawes or could point me in the direction of any information, both of the man and the driver, or any personal memories they could share with me please. Anything at all would be helpful. Thanks very much. Hi there,how are thing coming along with the information you have asked for about this book for your boy.Hope things are coming together at this time,all the best to you.

woody
05-21-2013, 06:59 AM
Allan Dick is looking after the motor museum at Cromwell track. The track should be able to put you in contact with Allan.

Grant Sprague
05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
well done stubuchanan go to the top of the class,i allways like it when a plan works out.thinking again about this there is a photo of brent in a old sports car and one of the front wheels went walk about. there is a story about brent racing at puke it may have been in the b&h 500 in a vauxhall victor, and he came into the pits and they could not get the brake pads out brent had his foot on the brake .there must lots of storys like this that went on in the b&h 500 just look at what they had to race with ,and now look what is been used today out there.may i say it would be great to hear from anyinfo or brents son about how this book is coming along. Yep remember Gary [Brother] telling me about it [the foot hard on the pedal] I think Brent & Leo were in the pit next to Gary & Ernie .... there are some good storys , just a couple , when Ernie & Leo , won in the 318 VG Valiant , Leo went off at the Elbow , & took hid overalls off & stuck the car in drive [in the wet] & put them under the rear wheels to get a bit more traction & away they went ???. An other occasion Ernie was driving a charger with Leo & the demisters packed up Dad took off his socks & used them as demisters , they won , Ernie was on rostrum bare footed , Gary Pederson reminded me of this at levels over a few beers ,Regards Grant

Grant Sprague
05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Hi Sweet friend {Ann], if Richard wants to contact me I can enlighten him a little re Brent , my brother Wayne [ aged between Gary & I] did his apprenticship at speedway motors under Leo & Brent ..... I am sure Wayne would love to help Richard with fond memories etc , I can organise phone numbers etc to have a catch up . I remember the day well at Ruapuna like most reading this , Brent was concerned about fire etc & in those days seat belts were an option which he decided against . Those weekends at Ruapuna Brent Leo & a few of the boys Ernie , Gary etc etc , [not me too young 13yr lol]] stopped under the pine trees before
Ashburton & had a few beers telling of the days racing ......... Ann my E mail if you want is grantsprague@kinect.co.nz .... Kind Regards to you & Richard......... Grant

CUSTAXIE50
12-18-2013, 12:41 AM
How are things coming along with this book, any news at this time.