PDA

View Full Version : Pre 1957 Saloons - UK

ERC
01-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Whilst trying to date some slides and negatives, I Googled "Dave Burrows MG Magnette" knowing that he also raced a Morris Minor. What it led me to was a 1980 three part TV documentary on the Pre 1957 Classic saloons, featuring a Donington meeting, plus another YouTube clip of a 1992 race at Mallory Park.

Ideal for Oldfart and a hope that his series gains some traction, though the UK series did allow limited modifications.

Just ignore the YouTube clip mentions about pricing - this was 1980 after all! Also interesting to see old Henry, one of the scrutineering regulars.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wnxtq9f4Nc - part 1 of 3

Oldfart
01-05-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks Ray, interesting to see the mix of cars. Morrie Minors, A30/35, Fiat 600, Jags and of course mighty Magnettes!
Here is a thing appearing (I hope) in Beaded Wheels.

Are you and your Vintage car looking for an opportunity for a little strenuous exercise?

As the Roycroft Trophy meeting approaches again we would love to add more saloon cars to the mix. The focus is intended for the owners of their pre 1961 cars to have an “enthusiastic thrash” for a few laps, on a few starts, then at the end of the day put the picnic basket, spare wheel and tools back in the boot and go home with a huge grin on their faces.
Obviously there will be some who see this as a chance to build more of a racing version of the A35 etc, but the real intent is as above.
So what is needed in terms of vehicle preparation? It must be in WOF condition, the new regulations require that catch bottles be fitted to oil breathers and radiator overflows. There are some exceptions to this, just ask. The sump plug must also be safety wired. All these are simple and very inexpensive to do, and if you find this overly difficult seek some suggestions.
Tyres, as per the VCC branch manual, shall be of greater than 65 profile with a tread pattern appropriate to the period of the car, what we don’t want is semi race tyres of the current “Targa” type.
Lights need to be taped to minimise the risk of broken glass, bumpers and all standard trim should be in place, and other than that not a lot else to say.
Yes you are allowed to modify the car if you want, but it needs to fit with the VCC requirements which are that the engine must also be from the pre Dec31st 1960 date and an unwritten “rule” is that modifications should only be those which could have been done in the period, so such things as wide wheels and turbochargers don’t fit the pattern.
What vehicles? Well the greater variety the better. We currently have a Mk 2 Zephyr, a couple of Jaguars, Mk 7 and an early Mk 2, an A30 with genuine Speedwell modifications, a Singer Gazelle, a Renault 750/4cv, a Standard 10, and maybe a 107e Prefect. This time around the hopes are high for a V8 Coupe that has been used in speed events by the same owner for well over 30 years. Personally I would love to see a Jowett Javelin, a Vanguard or two, a Peugeot 203 and 403, a couple of varieties of Wolsely, MG Magnette, Morris Minor, the list is endless. How about a couple of varieties of Citroen?
In the “good old days” there was variety, just look at that well known picture from Ardmore, or was it Ohakea! In amongst those there is a Hillman Husky, a Riley RM, an early VW
The obvious questions relating to the driver include What documentation do I need? In this case it is a VIC (Vehicle Identity Card), logbook and a minimum of VCC Historic Racing licence along with VCC membership and a civil driver’s licence.
Personal equipment is multi layers of protection with wrist and ankle openings not loose, helmet to an approved standard and gloves suggested.
It is not intended to be a highly competitive event, there are no prizes, rubbing is NOT racing here and any signs of potential aggression will be dealt with very strongly. Actual aggression would have the instigator on their way home very quickly!
Why don’t you come along and play in our sandpit? It is a heap of fun and you will be with a group of like-minded folks who enjoy their days out.
The Roycroft is a great weekend of celebration of “the way it used to be” so a couple of places to look are www.waitemata.org/roycroft or email pre61saloonregister@gmail.com

ERC
01-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Just a suggestion Rhys. Original bumpers and all original external trim may have been OK in the 1980's, when you could pick up a complete car for peanuts, (my RME Riley cost me just 20 quid in 1973...) but those hockey stick trims as on the Magnette for example, are now scarcer than hen's teeth. If you could find any that are in good condition, it would cost more than a complete running Standard 10!

Please don't fall in to the trap that others have done by getting hung up on items that in period, were often left off anyway. Accidents do happen as I know only too well, having totally smashed the back and front of my car at Pukekohe when trying to avoid a car that was spinning on its roof in the middle of the track, after a stub axle failure.

This is one of the issues we have had with the CoD system. Most 40/50/60 year old European car spares, particularly trim, can no longer be picked up at the local breakers yard. We know you don't want banger racing, but owners of pristine cars are well aware of the risks of racing, so leave the show ponies to the concours circuit and let's see racing as it once was and just insist the cars are tidy.

Ross Hollings
01-05-2015, 10:01 PM
Do you have to have a roll cage fitted? Also,can you run in that class in a non VCC event with a VCC competion licence,or is this class only run under VCC permits.........hope that makes sense.to me a Morrie Minor with twin carbs ,bit of lowering slightly wider rims would be a real blast.

Oldfart
01-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Ross, under the agreement between VCC and Motorsport, VCC must recognise all Motorsport documents, except a VIC card is needed. However, the reverse does not apply. Roll protection is not required. There are events where both permits are in place, and probably more coming. That would mean you could run the VCC bit of an event, just as Taupo combined HRSCC/VCC December event.

Ray, from what I posted above I don't see where your concern is addressed (either way). In the day (horrible saying) I had to remove some trim before competing as scrutineers reckoned that they could come off and become spears! We would like to see bumpers, and as you say tidy, even from the stands, not necessarily right alongside. (20 foot paintjob is OK :) )
The real intent is addressed in the first paragraph.