PDA

View Full Version : Taupo Motorsport Park

Kiwiboss
02-19-2015, 05:20 AM
Dear Class Representative, Competitors and Race Contacts,

There are rumours circulating about a proposed interested buyer of the Taupo Motorsport Park (TMP) and that TMP are not in a strong position financially. These are both true and an offer has been made to the TMP Board of Directors, but the sale has NOT happened and it will be up to the TMP Shareholders (TCC are shareholders also) to decide at a Special General Meeting to be held on the 26th February.

TCC along with TMP and Taupo District Council (TDC) have a tripartite Lease Agreement Contract that gives TCC certain use arrangements as remuneration for us giving over our existing track, plant and equipment that was valued at $1.2m.

If the sale is approved, the interested buyer has made it very clear that we will lose those use arrangements and this will most certainly affect ALL of our race meetings. He has also indicated that he will, upon purchase, close the entire facility for at least 3-6 months, upgrade it and re-open with a new image and name. Needless to say his vision is very different to the current arrangements. This means that our Easter and Truck Race Championship meetings and Winter Series for 2015 will be affected. Also in the future we may no longer be able to, nor afford to, hold our ‘traditional’ race meetings.

TCC has several options we are looking at within the next 7 days and we are seeking legal advice with regard to our Lease Agreement Contract. One of those is to look into the possibility of buying some of the debt TMP is struggling with, thereby keeping the place running. Another is to look at purchasing the business ourselves and this is where we need your written and possible financial support.

Therefore we would appreciate a letter from as many of you as possible in support of Taupo Car Club to present with our proposed business plan and to our fellow TMP Shareholders with a view to continue to provide a motor race circuit where we can foster all motorsport at all levels from grassroots to championship. Please pass this onto your fellow competitors and anyone that you wish to. All support is appreciated.

Please send your letters to me at this email address racecoordinator@taupocarclub.org.nz

I thank you in advance from the tireless volunteers of Taupo Car Club who are looking out for the best interests of our customers.. YOU.

Regards
Melanie Coleman & Terry O’Brien
Taupo Car Club Representatives.

Oldfart
02-19-2015, 07:05 AM
I hope that the "big brother" situation does not take over, ever.
I have asked if there is a possibility for individuals to contribute so the "local" facility can continue.

fullnoise68
02-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Apparently there`s a bit of money in making pet food ......

Oldfart
02-19-2015, 09:02 AM

Specially when you sell the company!
Remember the days when pretty much anyone could participate in club motorsport. Might be best to treasure those memories cos they might be all we have.

Kiwiboss
02-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Specially when you sell the company!
Remember the days when pretty much anyone could participate in club motorsport. Might be best to treasure those memories cos they might be all we have.

I think you're onto something Oldfart, NZ for along time has been the last bastion of the "wages" affordable racer, the rug is slowly been pulled :(

Dale M

Kiwiboss
02-19-2015, 11:22 AM

So you collecting recycled cans and scrapping up squashed possum from the roadside Steve, sounds like a new business venture!! need any capital, LOL

Oldfart
02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
I think you're onto something Oldfart, NZ for along time has been the last bastion of the "wages" affordable racer, the rug is slowly been pulled :(

Dale M

Yep. The money being spent now on lots of classes scares potential newcomers off unless they are very well endowed with expendable spending. Even your HMC has scarey numbers which only the affluent can contemplate :) I hope that 2K can keep flourishing and that the circuit owners don't throw huge entry fees and kill it.

fullnoise68
02-20-2015, 12:01 AM
I suppose the downside of one guy having a race track in each island is it eventually creates another division amongst the core of NZ motorsport competitors and punters alike. While it is good to race at tracks with great facilities, if those tracks are run as a business - which obviously they are, so the dollar rules - and the guy on the gate refuses entry to a family of five unless they leave their chillybin in the car - because the track caterer has an exclusive contact, and a can of coke is $7.00 or go thirsty - this also puts people off coming to watch the motor racing. A `controlled ' class or formula has shown in the past to not mean the bits you can or can`t run in your car, it usually ends up being `controlled' by a select few, and as history has shown some of those people continually `re-invent' themselves, and create another `great' class, so you`d hope the same doesn`t happen to some of our tracks.

Alan Hyndman
02-20-2015, 01:22 AM
There are a couple of other forums talking about this too:
http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index.php?/topic/47168-taupo-circuit-up-for-sale/
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143579

My biggest concern at present is my club has already paid in full for the hire of Track 3 on April 11th (sprints and races if anyone is interested). If the track gets closed down for 3-6 months I'm figuring all bookings (not just ours) will be cancelled. Refunds will then presumably be possible depending on what was bought (the assets or the entity that owned the assets (and liabilities)).

Of course I want to continue being able to book the track as well - we have competitors whose cars are slow and don't want to be on the track with the maximum number of starters around them. Track 3 at Taupo gives us the opportunity to cater for those sorts of people.

CUSTAXIE50
02-20-2015, 03:32 AM
If Tony Quinn gets his hands on Taupo,it will be a model of Highlands I understand, and my view is in time he will move on to HD if he gets his way.

Snoozin
02-20-2015, 05:50 AM
I think it's worth everyone keeping an open mind at this stage - I agree it's likely to become a similar style facility to Highlands, but I wonder, is the limited use at Highlands a feature of the conditions surrounding it's resource consent perhaps? Whereas Taupo is already allowed to operate in the capacity it is, therefore may continue to operate in such a fashion?

I'm not sure I see Mr. Quinn as the ogre many people make him out to be - he is a businessman, and like any business a race circuit will be required to offer a return on investment, so in my mind perhaps we won't see TOO MUCH change in the status quo, rather at this stage let's look forward to an upgraded facility and the prospect of attracting some higher level motorsport to the circuit as well as being able to run our grassroots racing.

Surely no one is narrow minded enough to consider higher end motorsport being able to exist without a foundation of grass roots events catering for beginners, and weekend enthusiasts who are then the spectators at the big events... maybe?

Or am I being too much of an optimist?

nigel watts
02-20-2015, 05:51 AM
If you look at the Events Calendar on the Highlands Motorsport Park website - it's empty. Seems that it's largly for the benefit of 'members'
MEMBERSHIPS
In order to enjoy the track to its full capacity (and yours!) a Membership is a must at Highlands. Given that in under a year we have over 100 members and only a handful of memberships left (a waiting list will be put in place) it's safe to say that the facilities and track are popular.

Membership at Highlands is about using the track when it suits you. You'll have up to 80 days a year that you can use the track. With the ability to run the track in reverse and separate it in to three circuits that can be run simultaneously, we have the ability to configure the 4.2km circuit over 27 different ways – and of course there is a fantastic skid pan, which is there for your enjoyment as well!

Our members' experience range from people who have never been on a track before through to members who are still currently participating in championships at the highest level – and everyone else in between. A fantastic benefit of the membership which has developed in the past year is the camaraderie that has grown in the membership – its not about who is best on track, or who has the fastest car, but about a group of people coming together, with a passion for Motorsport, who are excited to have the exclusive use of such an already renowned track.

Yearly access to our museum for your family is also part of the membership, along with entry into our GT Lounge. You'll have first priority for VIP hospitality at our events and we often host off-site member activities to further foster the camaraderie in the group and explore our fantastic surroundings.

It will be a sad day and a retrograde step for NZ Motorsport if Taupo ends up like this. I may well be wrong but it sure looks like a case of the rich catering for the rich. If anyone tries to do this at Hampton Downs I for one will lay down in front of the bloody bulldozer!!

John McKechnie
02-20-2015, 06:08 AM
I think it's worth everyone keeping an open mind at this stage - I agree it's likely to become a similar style facility to Highlands, but I wonder, is the limited use at Highlands a feature of the conditions surrounding it's resource consent perhaps? Whereas Taupo is already allowed to operate in the capacity it is, therefore may continue to operate in such a fashion?

I'm not sure I see Mr. Quinn as the ogre many people make him out to be - he is a businessman, and like any business a race circuit will be required to offer a return on investment, so in my mind perhaps we won't see TOO MUCH change in the status quo, rather at this stage let's look forward to an upgraded facility and the prospect of attracting some higher level motorsport to the circuit as well as being able to run our grassroots racing.

Surely no one is narrow minded enough to consider higher end motorsport being able to exist without a foundation of grass roots events catering for beginners, and weekend enthusiasts who are then the spectators at the big events... maybe?

Or am I being too much of an optimist?

Yes, I think you are being too much of an optimist- thats me and you asked the question wanting an answer.
I see nothing, have heard nothing of grass roots events there.
Remember once its gone then its a long drive between Hampton Downs and Manfield.
Nigel is correct,but not about the bulldozer- great talent shouldnt be wasted.

Snoozin
02-20-2015, 06:28 AM
That's cool, I don't mind a spade being named as such - you're meaning grassroots at Highlands?

Their resource consent allows them 16 race days per year - so that's basically 5 events per year by the time you consider a Friday to Sunday event. There is STILL considerable opposition from residents as I understand, all of this information is pretty accessible with a quick Google. So of course if you are running a commercial enterprise then of course you are going to want to make those extremely limited meetings count, in terms of attracting the spectator dollar (which, they have done well the times I have travelled to the 101).

As far as catering to Grassroots motorsport, I think the support events at the 101 have done just that. The Euromarque, plus the 10+1 (at 2014's event) were loaded with club spec type race cars.

Taupo is already allowed to operate in a much extended capacity compared to Highlands, and I just can't see why a potential buyer of the circuit would even consider making administrative changes to the point of driving away your core market...

Of course Nigel is correct, that's copy pasted from their website (with all due respect, not a dig).

nigel watts
02-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Well this is one of those moments when I desperately hope that I'm completely wrong, and if subsequently it turns out that I, and others, are wrong, then I will apologise now in advance.
What I think we are doing is making our feelings publicly known with regard to the future of the Taupo track. I still miss going to Baypark which was 10 minutes down the road. Taupo & Hampton Downs are almost 2 hours away.
So, fingers crossed, and maybe we can look forward to seeing the Aussie GT's racing at Taupo.

Spgeti
02-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Allan I am sorry to hear that an I don't think you are alone. I know it is little comfort but time will reveal all.
From what I have read from other forums it does not sound good and if the Banks are behind it cash talks, promises do not.
It if it happens will be a sad day for those that use it. Taupo is a tourist hot spot and the so called plans do not surprise me and on of the objects in his sights is the NZGP.

Watch this space !!
Cheers, Bruce

My biggest concern at present is my club has already paid in full for the hire of Track 3 on April 11th (sprints and races if anyone is interested). If the track gets closed down for 3-6 months I'm figuring all bookings (not just ours) will be cancelled. Refunds will then presumably be possible depending on what was bought (the assets or the entity that owned the assets (and liabilities)).

Of course I want to continue being able to book the track as well - we have competitors whose cars are slow and don't want to be on the track with the maximum number of starters around them. Track 3 at Taupo gives us the opportunity to cater for those sorts of people.[/QUOTE]

ERC
02-20-2015, 08:14 AM
At the risk of being misquoted, I understood that Tony Quinn was happy to have his sand pit at Highlands to play in but his interest in acquiring HD was definitely with a more commercial aspect in mind. In other words, a fully functioning race track.

One can only assume that if he gets hold of Taupo, that he will indeed make it more attractive. Common sense dictates that he will tap into the well publicised adventure tourism aspects of Taupo and incorporate a public kart track (which I understand is a real money spinner at Highlands) and hopefully, a museum where owners with interesting cars may be able to loan them.

If the existing commercial aspects could be retained (and I see no reason why not), he could well be the saviour of the place and could easily keep the Taupo CC on side in some capacity if he so desires - and he'd be silly not to. You can't run a race meeting very easily without volunteers.

He is a man with vision (and cash) and there are far too few of those around and I sincerely hope that if he is successful, the three to six months suspension of activities will be a very small price indeed to pay. As long as race meeting hire fees and therefore entry fees are not out of kilter with the rest of the tracks, I see a very positive future.

Rod Grimwood
02-21-2015, 08:08 AM
Why was there only a couple of the Central Muscle Car boys running with the Southern Muscle at Ruapuna Scope meeting a week after the whole lot were all at Highlands the week before.

If what is rumoured to be the reason, then be warned ERC you have it right with the 'vision' but think the vision is more around the 'cash'. And also do research into 'entry fees'

Maybe we all need to re-read the original letter from Taupo Car Club and re-digest exactly what it is saying and what can be lost.

John McKechnie
02-21-2015, 09:02 AM
Never forget the Golden Rule- He who has the gold, makes the rules..................

fullnoise68
02-21-2015, 09:59 AM
Never forget the Golden Rule- He who has the gold, makes the rules..................

And that John, is the very reason NZ Motorsport is in the state it is ..... instead of the same old faces living off a wishbone, some people need to get a backbone.

ERC
02-21-2015, 11:19 AM
Pukekohe have apparently increased their hire fees - dramatically - and that will have a direct impact on the viability of many meetings. The days of small grids must now be well and truly over and unless those currently refusing to combine their class with others see the light, I suspect they'll very soon be out in the cold or be digging far deeper into their pockets.

Rod Grimwood
02-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Sad state of affairs when you have to go to the bank to get a mortage to enter a "SPORT" (Americas Cup Excluded).

The 'powers to be' who are in organizing positions, need to get heads together and heed the rot and remember it all starts with the small guy in the club car and goes up through the stages.

Some '"class's" may have a big field at the moment, but can they alone fill the 8 grids for a meeting, as that's the way it is heading, and don't forget the big grid is all 'amateurs' and don't believe they will keep digging into pocket. The few bigger fish in the pond will be running around in a couple seasons back in the 'original 15 car' grid.

Club days will be a thing of the past (already are really)

John McKechnie
02-21-2015, 09:50 PM
At the risk of sounding slow on the uptake , can someone please explain the costs and the returns to see why this problem has happened and why a new buyer would transform it into a profitable business.
I see no figures here to help my understanding, but Car Clubs having advanced bookings so this business is not dragging its feet.

Jac Mac
02-21-2015, 10:49 PM
Why was there only a couple of the Central Muscle Car boys running with the Southern Muscle at Ruapuna Scope meeting a week after the whole lot were all at Highlands the week before.

If what is rumoured to be the reason, then be warned ERC you have it right with the 'vision' but think the vision is more around the 'cash'. And also do research into 'entry fees'

Maybe we all need to re-read the original letter from Taupo Car Club and re-digest exactly what it is saying and what can be lost.

What are you trying to suggest Rod, I am getting too old for this reading between the lines stuff :)

Just as a matter of interest I looked at the MSNZ schedule of fee's.... if I was stupid enough to re-enter the sport at the level I left it ~1984 it would now cost me ~$1425.00 just to comply with the paperwork for year one [ year two would be less assuming no COD/roll cage/ licence upgrades etc & only renewals ]... IIRC it was costing in the region of $200.00pa in 1984.

Rod Grimwood
02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Jac, Only what was heard, but seems true, as why would you take car all the way to Cromwell and then by pass Christchurch 6 days later. They raced at Ruapuna Scope last year and was great.
Story is, 'if you race at Ruapuna you do not go to Bathurst' from person at Highlands.

02-21-2015, 11:28 PM
has anyone confirmed who is in talks about taupo circuit. or are you all assuming

Kiwiboss
02-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Jac, Only what was heard, but seems true, as why would you take car all the way to Cromwell and then by pass Christchurch 6 days later. They raced at Ruapuna Scope last year and was great.
Story is, 'if you race at Ruapuna you do not go to Bathurst' from person at Highlands.

I believe they(Central) were paid a fee per every car to attend(Highlands) but a part of the stipulation was to race at Highlands only and not Ruapuna, the following weekend(im only presuming this is correct) but as mentioned elsewhere on this post, its all about the CASH and I must admit if someone wanted to pay me to attend I would have to consider it seriously so good on him, and maybe that's the future?

As for Taupo it sounds as though its going to get sold regardless(just like a business going broke) and someone will buy/own it regardless, and will do with it as they wish depending on there own financial wealth, regardless of what anyone says or thinks. This probably means the club days of picking and choosing meetings/events are over so Quinn may as well be the one, at least he'll do something with it whether its to our liking or not.

It also seems to me the face of motorsport is changing very rapidly in this country! whether for better or worse only time will tell? but maybe its a change that's needed? We all bleat about cost but this is mostly from past memories as we get older, but I see more people involved in Motorsport today than ever before(2K cup has helped) so can't be all that bad or wrong as persons wouldn't be attracted otherwise!!

Dale M

Jac Mac
02-22-2015, 12:36 AM
has anyone confirmed who is in talks about taupo circuit. or are you all assuming

Check post #9 on this thread- there is a link to the 'old school' website- post #1 on that site has the same letter with further info than what Dales first post here included. A bit unsure myself as to what format the letter writers have in mind for Taupo should they gain the support they need, would seem that they have been thru it all before in earlier stages of the circuit evolving into what it is today.

Carlo
02-22-2015, 01:16 AM
http://www.business.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/1265135/documents

Some interesting reading in here if one wades through it all and places a timeline of other activities and developments alongside of it.

Murray Maunder
02-22-2015, 05:47 AM
Private buyout of the fallen into disrepair Lakeside in Queensland a few years ago seems to have been overall a positive for the facility from what I've heard - upgrades, improved relationships with territorial authorities etc. The ownership is held in common with the Queensland Raceway. Maybe some of our QLD motorsport forum folk could let us know how it has gone.

Whether this is comparable to the current NZ circuit situation I couldn't say. I am just a follower of the sport not a competitor but I can understand the fears many have. As Richie's optimism goes, maybe we could be hopeful for an outcome that is at least OK. After all, if the facility is run along more business-like lines this doesn't necessarily mean less accessibility and/or greatly increased fees. If Taupo has been getting in the financial cack then something like this is on the cards. If the buyer is a motorsport enthusiast with lots of coin it's going to be better than a developer or, worse, a bank stepping in.

John McKechnie
02-22-2015, 06:12 AM
For someone to see an opportunity to make money, someone has to be ready to lose money. Enough money lost on motor racing at the top without clubs suffering

paul lancaster
02-22-2015, 07:13 AM
There may not be many events on at highlands, but you can do hot laps all day 7 days a week, so resource consent must allow for that.

02-22-2015, 07:21 AM
thanks jac mac

Jac Mac
02-22-2015, 10:22 PM
http://www.business.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/1265135/documents

Some interesting reading in here if one wades through it all and places a timeline of other activities and developments alongside of it.

After a quick look at the above...as of 2014 there were 6,376,099 share allotted to a total of 113 shareholders with a further 54,866 shares that had not been bought/allocated. Don't know how much those shares were valued at initially or how much they are in the hole for now. One would think by now the shareholders would have considered the possibility of injecting further funds on the basis of number of shares already held in order to clear the slate.

Rod Grimwood
02-23-2015, 07:42 AM
There may not be many events on at highlands, but you can do hot laps all day 7 days a week, so resource consent must allow for that.

Yea, become a 'member' check it out.

Oldfart
02-26-2015, 07:29 PM
Just in my email
Dear Class Representatives, Competitors and Race Contacts.

The Taupo Motorsport Park (TMP) Shareholders meeting last night, voted against the resolution to sell to the interested buyer. So that’s great news for now for bookings and it’s business as usual at this stage at the Taupo Motorsport Park.

Regards

Terry O’Brien and Melanie Coleman

Taupo Car Club Representatives

TCC Logo - medium

Rod Grimwood
02-27-2015, 03:13 AM
Oldfart, is this the same Terry O'Brien who raced a V8 Capri back in 80s'in Sports Sedans and dabbled with jet boats and was at Whyteline Ltd Paeroa.

Oldfart
02-27-2015, 03:27 AM
Grimme, I don't know.

Kiwiboss
02-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Just in my email
Dear Class Representatives, Competitors and Race Contacts.

The Taupo Motorsport Park (TMP) Shareholders meeting last night, voted against the resolution to sell to the interested buyer. So that’s great news for now for bookings and it’s business as usual at this stage at the Taupo Motorsport Park.

Regards

Terry O’Brien and Melanie Coleman

Taupo Car Club Representatives

TCC Logo - medium

If the TCC has voted not to sell the track then they mustn't be under financial pressure to sell it? which is what i thought the situation was!! So why has all this come about???? was it just "someone" want to buy and the TCC needed a shareholders meeting as such to discuss??

Dale M

Carlo
02-27-2015, 09:22 AM
If the TCC has voted not to sell the track then they mustn't be under financial pressure to sell it? which is what i thought the situation was!! So why has all this come about???? was it just "someone" want to buy and the TCC needed a shareholders meeting as such to discuss??

Dale M

Taupo Motorsport Park Ltd is under pressure and by all accounts TMP shareholders turned down an offer of less than $4 million for the place, mind you it is about $6.5 million in the red. Scuttlebutt has TMP being offered for sale on the International market

Taupo Car Club along with friends are now one of the parties that maybe looking at purchasing. Sure hope they can pull it off.

Jac Mac
02-27-2015, 08:12 PM
Take a few minutes to look at the link posted by Carlo #29 this thread Dale- financial statement between 11 Sept/01 Oct 2012 sort of spells it all out.

touringcarfan
03-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Hi Guys, I have been reading through this thread and nobody has mentioned anything about another possible buyer. Mr Quinn might not be the one interested in buying Taupo as I have heard another name mentioned. That person is named in one of the links posted.

Anthony

TonyG
03-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Its official, Quinn was rejected by 30% of the shareholders so he is now looking at spending his money here in Australia and is looking at Willowbank. Will see if I can find the link to the article I read it in.

TonyG
03-03-2015, 11:20 AM
Here you go http://www.speedcafe.com/2015/03/03/quinn-to-pursue-aussie-circuit-after-taupo-snub/

ERC
03-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Quinn:

“I think I could have gone a long way to sorting out motorsport in New Zealand,” he said. “You can’t do it without two tracks.”

That is one deep comment and one can only wonder what his 'fix' for NZ motorsport means.

IF he means bringing the Aussie GTs and maybe even Aussie V8s to two NZ tracks, much as that would go down really well in most people's eyes, I don't see that as 'sorting out motorsport in NZ'.

I'd like to know what he really meant, as I suspect that there would probably be more losers than winners...

Reading books about Bernie Ecclestone for example, is enough to know that one person with too much power (and money) may indeed do a lot of good for the sport - but they can also do irreparable harm. The person who has gained the most from BE's take over of F1 is of course, BE.

rf84
03-04-2015, 12:59 AM
Maybe he was intending to break the monopoly that MNZ has on motor racing in NZ?
If you want an example of how that can be achieved, study the case of Paul Samuels and the Wakefield Park circuit in NSW.