PDA

View Full Version : Old Programmes, movies and memories from the Fifties, Sixties and Seventies.

Pages : [1] 2

khyndart in CA
03-06-2015, 09:09 AM
I found another box of "stuff" that I had dragged back from Kiwitahi to California and although some of it has been presented before I feel one can never get too much of the racing history from the 50s and 60s etc. Some of the old Ardmore programmes give a wonderful insight to who,what and where some of the drivers and cars came from.
I used to cut out pictures from the NZ Herald and Weekly News and put them in scrapbooks and I wanted to share some of that also and encourage anyone else to share what they may have "tucked away" from this era.
I remember well helping my Dad as he sheared the sheep and listening to the 1961 NZGP on the radio and cheering on Bruce McLaren as he got close to Jack Brabham but wily Jack would not let him pass. That is why I started with that race first in this thread. What a magnificent lineup of drivers.

khyndart in CA
03-06-2015, 09:32 AM
1961 New Zealand Grand Prix at Ardmore.
The driver lineup could not get any better. We were very fortunate back then to see such a great field.
I think we just took it for granted that it would always be like this.
Note in the movie how well all the drivers got along with each other. Even John Cooper is having fun !
( I know this has been shown before but what beach area are they at ?)
(Also note Bruce McLaren is listed as from Great Britain. This was because he was to be an international driver and could not win the First New Zealander home prize again ! )

A wonderful movie of the 1961 NZGP plus Dunedin road races. (Note the crowd size !)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RmaIdYmWmiA

Rex Bentham
03-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Wow, what a lineup of drivers. Little wonder they drew such huge crowds.
I am wondering if there is any mention of a car I own, being entered in the sportscar races. Maybe 1958 or later.
White Jaguar XK150 FHC driven by Fred Crowther. Owner Bobby Wong.

khyndart in CA
03-06-2015, 08:49 PM
Rex,
I am sorry I do not have a copy of the 1959 NZGP programme from Ardmore. I have the 1958, 1960, 1962, 1964 and 1969 Grand Prix programmes and I could not find your XK150 in any of those. It seems it was at the 1959 meet as you found out from Stu Buchanan.
"
("stubuchanan

05-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Bobby Wong was a top tennis player of the time - NZ under-19 champion in 1958 and under-17 champ in 1956. I think I remember him racing, maybe at Ardmore club circuit, but he must have been only 18 or 19 at the time. He entered the XK 150 for Crowther (?Frank) in the "Saloon Car" race at the 1959 GP meeting where Crowther was 3rd behind Archibald's XK150 and Gavin Quirk's 3.4 Jag.

Stu." )

So Rex, if anyone has the 1959 Ardmore programme out there it would neat to see your car on the entry list.
The 1959 programme cover would look like this ;

(Ken Hyndman)

Rex Bentham
03-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Thanks Ken,
Apparently the car lost it's bonnet at a NSSC 1/4 mile sprint at Ardmore.
In an attempt to gain more power they tried to supercharge the engine, a Bill Sheilds worked
on the car. Bobby Wong sold it to Nado Dean July 1962.
BTW Bobby still lives in Auckland and I believe still plays the odd game of tennis.
Any more info on this car would be greatly appreciated.

khyndart in CA
03-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Can someone tell me the beach / harbour that the drivers are enjoying themselves at in the movie, before the 1961 NZGP .

( Thanks, Ken Hyndman )

Powder
03-07-2015, 01:46 AM
Wow, what a lineup of drivers. Little wonder they drew such huge crowds.
I am wondering if there is any mention of a car I own, being entered in the sportscar races. Maybe 1958 or later.
White Jaguar XK150 FHC driven by Fred Crowther. Owner Bobby Wong.

Hi Rex, Your car was entered in the 1959 Ardmore Saloon Car Race, not the Sports Car Race (just XK120's on that list).

Malcolm

Oldfart
03-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Isn't that a classic list? (Post #7)

Rex Bentham
03-07-2015, 09:03 AM
Malcolm,
Many thanks for that. Pure gold!!
Rhys,
Imagine getting even half that entry for Roycroft. Let it serve as an inspiration to anyone who has or
knows of any of those cars to get them ready for next year.
Just got to hang in there.

Rex

ERC
03-07-2015, 09:44 AM
With double this year from 2014, hopefully, the impetus will be maintained. Interesting to see that it was a handicap race back then. Some interesting cars - Armstrong Siddeley and a Rover 90 for example, neither being known as front runners! Knock about a ton out of the Rover - would that be allowed Rhys?

Oldfart
03-08-2015, 12:13 AM
Ray, read the last sentence in the header of the programme :)

khyndart in CA
03-08-2015, 06:53 AM
1961 NZGP. Ardmore. January 7 th.
Some photos from my scrapbook. Thanks to the NZ Herald and Weekly News.
Start of the race.

Front row; Stirling Moss # 7, Bruce McLaren # 47, Jack Brabham # 4, Graham Hill, # 8,
Second row : Ron Flockhart # 3, Innes Ireland # 1, Roy Salvadori # 5, John Surtees # 2
Row 3 ; Dan Gurney (Not in picture) # 9, Denis Hulme # 20, Jim Clark # 6, Bib Stillwell
Row 4 ; visible is Arnold Glass # 10 and Angus Hyslop # 38
(Some great names in this lineup )

First corner photo. (College Corner ) 1961.
I liked this picture as it shows a talented driver,# 25 Joe Bonnier, he only lasted 1/2 a lap before his gearbox blew apart ! A week later Jo learned his father died back in Sweden and he went out and drove well and dedicated his win at Levin in honour of his father. (Ironically when I first travelled to Europe in June 1972, we landed in San Francisco and the newspaper headline was that Jo Bonnier had died while driving in the 1972 LeMans 24 hour race.)
It also shows how narrow the tires are and also the complete lack of roll bars.
Brave men indeed !

Compare that to a modern day Grand Prix first corner photo ! ( 2014)

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-09-2015, 04:47 AM
Stirling Moss at Ardmore in 1961. Lotus 18 (Chassis 376 ) Note the complete lack of roll bar and blunt styling.

Stirling Moss at Ardmore in 1962. Lotus 21 (Chassis 935 ) Note the much improved styling and roll bar. A major improvement in 12 months.

(Photo thanks to Bruce McLaren Trust 2003)

khyndart in CA
03-09-2015, 07:04 AM
Dad had stopped the shearing and we were glued to the radio. Bruce McLaren was in the lead of the 1961 NZGP !

But it was not to last as Jack Brabham passed him and held him off for a close finish.

These photos bring back fond memories of time with my father as he did not live too much longer.
He died way too young.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Ardmore. 1961. After the NZGP has finished. I think this is the last time that Brabham and McLaren finished 1st & 2nd in a major race together for the same team. Note in the background the amazing Lycoming Special that just kept going and going !

John Cooper proudly marches his "men" across the track after the race along with Denis Hulme and Tony Shelly.

(Photos from Weekly News )
Ken Hyndman's scrapbook.

khyndart in CA
03-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Denis Hulme had a good battle with Scotch driver, Ron Flockhart during this NZGP and they became good friends after that. When Denis saw my Four Square pamphlet he mentioned this friendship as he signed it. This was at Laguna Seca in August 1992. Just a few weeks before Denis died at Bathurst.
Ron Flockhart had stayed at the Hulmes during the 1962 international series before he went to Australia and was also flying a P51 Mustang to try win the fastest flight for a prop driven plane from Sydney to London. Unfortunately he lost his life when the Mustang crashed in stormy weather near Kallista, Victoria,Australia in April 1962.

(Also note Bruce McLaren is listed as from Great Britain. This was because he was to be an international driver and could not win the First New Zealander home prize again ! )

Grant Sprague
03-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Denis Hulme had a good battle with Scotch driver, Ron Flockhart during this NZGP and they became good friends after that. When Denis saw my Four Square pamphlet he mentioned this friendship as he signed it. This was at Laguna Seca in August 1992. Just a few weeks before Denis died at Bathurst.
Ron Flockhart had stayed at the Hulmes during the 1962 international series before he went to Australia and was also flying a P51 Mustang to try win the fastest flight for a prop driven plane from Sydney to London. Unfortunately he lost his life when the Mustang crashed in stormy weather near Kallista, Victoria,Australia in April 1962.

(Also note Bruce McLaren is listed as from Great Britain. This was because he was to be an international driver and could not win the First New Zealander home prize again ! ) Thank you Ken damn great photos , I never saw that race circuit was too young & lived in the SI........ hope you all good over there mate .. Kind regards Grant

khyndart in CA
03-10-2015, 03:53 AM
Grant, I really appreciate your input. I kept entering memories from 1961 and no one entered any comments so to get a reply from you gives me a boost. (I thought you had given up on me !)
I have a special programme coming next from 1958 and I need you to work along with me on this one. OK ?
Cheers Ken.

khyndart in CA
03-10-2015, 04:15 AM
Here is a map of the original Ardmore circuit. ( 2.0 mile lap )

Grant Sprague
03-10-2015, 07:08 AM
Will do what I can brother ........but please know I do not have much history around that year as I was young =4 yrs old ........Nope I did not give up on you Ken you & a few others put photos up I have never ever seen before of past time as a kid Johnny Mansell was always in my mind it is just fantastic .... by the way I would like to find photos for family link of Gary he did 4 Bathursts & the cars were very cool in the mid 80s , Gary said he never had any of those so would be great if some one could drag them off the net I am not that good in that dept also a Wellington race he did with Greame Croz in one of the Nissan turbos, he did lots more racing than me , one of him & Dick Johnston in the telsar at Puke would be an other good one to add might be asking for too much but no harm in asking ...... Ken, Autumn setting in lovely time of year in Tauranga, we got to the beach a few times over at the mount just love the warm salt water my girls yell out "come back dad: I go way out lol ...ok we keep in touch mate ...... Grant .......

Kevin Hirst
03-10-2015, 08:55 AM
Will do what I can brother ........but please know I do not have much history around that year as I was young =4 yrs old ........Nope I did not give up on you Ken you & a few others put photos up I have never ever seen before of past time as a kid Johnny Mansell was always in my mind it is just fantastic .... by the way I would like to find photos for family link of Gary he did 4 Bathursts & the cars were very cool in the mid 80s , Gary said he never had any of those so would be great if some one could drag them off the net I am not that good in that dept also a Wellington race he did with Greame Croz in one of the Nissan turbos, he did lots more racing than me , one of him & Dick Johnston in the telsar at Puke would be an other good one to add might be asking for too much but no harm in asking ...... Ken, Autumn setting in lovely time of year in Tauranga, we got to the beach a few times over at the mount just love the warm salt water my girls yell out "come back dad: I go way out lol ...ok we keep in touch mate ...... Grant .......

Ken, hell we love this stuff mate, don't stop, we may not always have a reply to you but what you present we can't get enough of, cheers & carry on

Allan
03-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Keep them coming Ken because that is what this forum is all about.

khyndart in CA
03-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Now going back to Ardmore in 1958. Grand Prix programme.
This has some interesting items in it.

One of the first races was for Saloon Cars. Here is the entry list and you will note some interesting names, including; P.L. Kerr (Phil Kerr of McLaren Racing) in a D.K.W., John Histed in a Goggomobil, Jim Boyd and a certain Mr. F.E.(Ernie) Sprague in # 20, a Renault Dauphine !

It is hard to imagine Ernie howling around Ardmore in a Renault Dauphine at 9.35 am before going out in his Maserati 4 CLT for the Grand Prix heats later in the morning !

Grant, was this the tow car when you all came up from the S.I. ?
Thought you may have all stopped off for some fishing on the way. This looks like Omokoroa perhaps !

( Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
03-10-2015, 11:41 PM
Hi Ken , I never knew Dad raced a Renault ....... I did however know he did a rally in one , Dad was a Renault franchise holder as there were not a lot of franchisers to be had in those days so he grabbed it with open arms ,,, I am not sure where you got that photo from ....I do not remember it at all , this could have been a promo photo ??? I see Harold Heasley in the saloon car list , he and Dad were very good mates, I use to stay with Harold when Mum & Dad did their trips to Fiji he lived in Rangiora he sort of adopted me as a son he never had & built wooden garages out of nail boxes for me.. Before he past away he built my daughters a beautiful dolls house , a great man also a bit off track never mind lol

Spgeti
03-10-2015, 11:52 PM
The Fiat Abarth if correct for 1957 was a very early Abarth if it was a 600. Came into production in 1954 but Abarth got his hands on it a little latter. Good stuff Ken.

khyndart in CA
03-11-2015, 12:38 AM
Sorry Grant, I did not explain but I just got some pictures from Google pics and put them in regarding the Dauphine !
It seems you could enter whatever you had, take the hub caps off, paint a number on the door and go out and have fun. It could not have been much of an entry fee when you see the amount of the prize money ! (Especially the motor cycle riders !)

(Ken )

Grant Sprague
03-11-2015, 01:14 AM
;)
Sorry Grant, I did not explain but I just got some pictures from Google pics and put them in regarding the Dauphine !
It seems you could enter whatever you had, take the hub caps off, paint a number on the door and go out and have fun. It could not have been much of an entry fee when you see the amount of the prize money ! (Especially the motor cycle riders !)

27985:D

(Ken )

khyndart in CA
03-11-2015, 02:23 AM
;)

oops this did not come through in the last post.

khyndart in CA
03-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Ernie Sprague in his Maserati 4CLT at Wigram in 1958.
Number 32 is the same number he used earlier at Ardmore where he retired after 71 laps with engine problems. Imagine driving this soon after climbing out of a Renault Dauphine !

(Photo thanks to "Classic Racers' book by Eoin Young )

khyndart in CA
03-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Jan 11th. 1958. Here is a list of entrants for the Fifth New Zealand International Grand Prix.

Grant Sprague
03-11-2015, 07:43 AM
Thank you Ken ...... once again I have never seen this before .... I might say it is personally very very special ......to me ...

03-11-2015, 08:46 AM
the first race meeting I attended

khyndart in CA
03-11-2015, 04:50 PM
Note that Bernie Ecclestone is the entrant for the 2 driver Connaught team. Sadly, Stuart Lewis-Evans was to lose his life later in the year at the 1958 Moroccan Grand Prix. Bernie almost quit from racing back then but here he is still at it to this day. Is the first instance of Ecclestone and Brabham names together here in this programme ?

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Here are some of the types of cars that competed that day in 1958. What great changes would take place in Grand Prix cars over the next few years.

(Ken Hyndman )

Kevin Hirst
03-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Used to go to a few sunday events, but they would not start till 12' oclock or 1 o'clock not sure if this was only in the country though

khyndart in CA
03-12-2015, 12:09 AM
It was a rough time for the Connaught team and Bernie Ecclestone.

If you go to this web site you will get an idea of what it was like on the Connaught team.
(Imagine 2 race cars for a stamp collection ! )

https://books.google.com/books?id=7FpKRItkby4C&pg=PT32&lpg=PT32&dq=bernie+ecclestone+CONNAUGHT&source=bl&ots=PckFz0elZ_&sig=fEsDHUL5SpbnvT6ZZd5glnMZiEA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=S6AAVffXHpPWoASb3oLwCw&ved=0CGcQ6AEwDQ#v=onepage&q=bernie%20ecclestone%20CONNAUGHT&f=false

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-12-2015, 12:56 AM
At this 1958 Grand Prix at Ardmore it was the first time the highly successful " Driver to Europe Scheme " was awarded.
It was won by Bruce McLaren who narrowly beat out Phil Kerr. What wonderful foresight the organizers had and what a great step it was for Bruce. If you can read this you will see they had made arrangements with the Cooper Car Co. for the winner to go there and be employed by that factory. They must have had a crystal ball in 1957 to know that Cooper would the best team to progress through in the next few years. We will be forever grateful for those organizers for setting these drivers on their way to greatness...well done. (I did not know that Argentina had done a similar scheme for Juan Fangio in 1948 )

( Ken Hyndman ...you will need good eyes to read this but it was the best I can do at this time )

Grant Sprague
03-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Amazing Ken , I did not know Phil Kerr even raced a car prior to reading yr info...let alone racing against Bruce etc .... I do know of the close connection though with the then trio..... & some other things that happened later ............By the way I met up with Wally Wilmott in Christchurch [ Ruapuna] a few weeks back, the main man as mechanic for them those many years ago . As you might know Wally was a Timaru boy ....... just an amazing man with so much to say about that time ............

khyndart in CA
03-12-2015, 08:31 PM
Yes, Phil Kerr was one of the main reasons that the McLaren Team remained such a strong team after Bruce died.
Here is a brief biography from "Grand Prix .com "

PEOPLE: PHIL KERR

Name: Phil Kerr
Nationality: New Zealand

Born in Auckland, New Zealand in 1934, Phil Kerr first met Bruce McLaren at a hillclimb event in 1951 both were racing Austin Sevens. While racing Kerr also studied accountancy and business management and when he left college he joined the New Zealand Forest Service before moving to work for a small engineering business in Auckland. This handled the sale of Buckler cars in New Zealand and Kerr was soon racing these and at the same time moved up through the ranks to become the secretary of the Auckland Car Club - the biggest automobile club in New Zealand - and a member of the board of the New Zealand International Grand Prix Association. In 1958 he was one of the names put forward to be New Zealand's Driver to Europe but was beaten to the prize by McLaren. In Europe McLaren mentioned to Jack Brabham that Kerr might be the man to run the Australian's businesses and in 1959 Kerr moved to England to help Jack establish a headquarters in Chessington. This consisted of a petrol station and offices but in the years that followed expanded into a big racing car manufacturing business in the earlly 1960s. One of Kerr's major contributions was to bring Denny Hulme to Brabham's attention and he managed Hulme's career until Denny won the World Championship in 1967. The pair then moved to McLaren where Kerr became joint managing-director with McLaren. After McLaren was killed in 1970 Kerr played an important role in holding the team together and he continued to be a major player at McLaren in the early 1970s, although he was edged out of the team to run the semi-works Yardley operation in 1974 after Marlboro came in as the team's chief backer. At the end of that year Yardley withdrew and Hulme retired and Kerr decided to head back to New Zealand, where he established and developed the McLaren Group of companies, initially as a specialist automotive engineering frim but more recently as a business consultancy, project management and IT firm.

Grant Sprague
03-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Ken I found this very interesting .........not one to read a lot re motor racing history in great detail & volumes as we use to eat & sleep & dream it ... a bit like car sales yards now I never walk onto one you get over it ............but find your stories plus others here very interesting easy reads.. thank you .. grant

khyndart in CA
03-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Phil Kerr at Silverstone. July. 1973. Listens with Jody Scheckter as Jackie Stewart explains his methods of driving through Woodcote Corner.

(Ken Hyndman photo )

khyndart in CA
03-14-2015, 03:02 AM
I found this site on Phil Kerr also that leads to parts of the wonderful documentary "Trio at the Top" (TVNZ 2001)which I can watch over and over about a wonderful era in New Zealand motor racing regarding McLaren,Hulme and Amon.

http://www.sportingmemoriesnetwork.com/star-supporters/kerr-puts-the-network-in-pole-position/

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Grant, I found this film of Ardmore in 1958 on YouTube. Check it out at the 50 second area. Is that possibly Ernie slinging the Renault Dauphine through College Corner and out onto Hangar Straight ? (It is a bit hard to see and no sound but it is a little something of 1958 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSkS9688_mw

(Ken Hyndman )

chaindrive
03-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Was that the pulse jet Cooper on that video that's on Trademe at the moment?????

khyndart in CA
03-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Chaindrive,
I have tried to scan the page regarding the jet car from the 1958 GP programme. If you want a clearer image I can email it to you. OK ?

( Ken Hyndman )

chaindrive
03-15-2015, 12:40 AM
Ken......Thanks for that. See Trademe

Grant Sprague
03-15-2015, 12:44 AM
Thank you Ken all very interesting ....once again never seen these before just fantastic ..........

khyndart in CA
03-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Ken......Thanks for that. See Trademe

chaindrive,
Can you send the link in Trademe as I could not locate it....Thanks. Ken

chaindrive
03-16-2015, 09:03 AM
Hi Ken...............Looks like the listing is now off.

rf84
03-16-2015, 08:54 PM
The car is currently owned by Ian Garmey of Auckland. It is a Mark 5 Cooper with a JAP 500 engine.

khyndart in CA
03-17-2015, 08:57 PM
The 1957 NZGP was sadly overshadowed by the death of English driver, Ken Wharton in a preliminary sports car race.

The first race I ever attended was the 1959 NZGP at Ardmore. I have some faint memories of the noise and smell of racing fuel, waiting in long traffic lines especially when leaving. It was a hot day and I do remember seeing for the first time a young woman in a leopard skin bikini walking by and my dad clipping me on the ear and telling me to concentrate on the racing ! It was all a bit much for a young fella from Kiwitahi ! I also remember seeing Stirling Moss sitting up in his Cooper and steering with his feet and waving to the crowd on the last lap as he was so far ahead of Jack Brabham.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-17-2015, 09:08 PM
7 th New Zealand Grand Prix. Jan 9th 1960

khyndart in CA
03-17-2015, 09:31 PM
The early grand prix always had good races for the motorcyclists and some well known riders participated. Here is some information and an entry list from the 1960 Grand Prix programme. As you will note in the prize money one did not get rich on the day but the experience and being noted would have been invaluable.

(Ken Hyndman )

Kevin Hirst
03-18-2015, 12:20 AM
The early grand prix always had good races for the motorcyclists and some well known riders participated. Here is some information and an entry list from the 1960 Grand Prix programme. As you will note in the prize money one did not get rich on the day but the experience and being noted would have been invaluable.

ATTACH=CONFIG]28127[/ATTACH]

(Ken Hyndman )

Jon [ ithink right spelling] Hempleman now resides in the Leigh / matakana area & does fish & game smoking, often have a beer with him in Warkworth, still a good story teller & enjoys a pint, fit as.

khyndart in CA
03-18-2015, 11:10 PM
The supporting races had some well known names in them as you will note in these race events. January. 1960.
First for the saloon cars.

Excuse my ignorance, but what was a De Joux ? ( I have since found what the De Joux was. )
Was this the converted 1951 Ferrari 375 that was built into a sedan by DeJoux and then later
converted back into a single seater and then owned by Bernie Ecclestone ?
Or did he race his Holden Special in this race ?

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Ellwood
03-18-2015, 11:50 PM
The supporting races had some well known names in them as you will note in these race events. January. 1960.

Excuse my ignorance, but what was a De Joux ?

(Ken Hyndman )

Hey Ken, the De Joux I am familiar with had a good looking fiberglass body with Mini running gear, something you should buy if you can find one, would be a great promo for Moss Motors!

khyndart in CA
03-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Grant,
You caught me out on that one. I should have done my homework ! I did not realize what a genius Ferris de Joux was. Thanks for the tip for Moss Motors !
Check us out sometime ..... http://www.mossmotors.com/.. The stories section has some good "stuff".

(Ken)

fullnoise68
03-19-2015, 01:37 AM
My father in Event 2, #92 Singer 9 ......

rf84
03-19-2015, 03:21 AM
I doubt this particular De Joux was one of the Mini-based cars-it's capacity is listed as 2171cc which is a bit big for a BMC 'A' series motor. Can anyone shed more light on it?

khyndart in CA
03-19-2015, 04:00 AM
I doubt this particular De Joux was one of the Mini-based cars-it's capacity is listed as 2171cc which is a bit big for a BMC 'A' series motor. Can anyone shed more light on it?

This is " Wikipedia" information on the early cars for Ferris de Joux. I would say from the engine cc that it was the Holden Special he was driving at Ardmore in January 1960.

"Early cars[edit]

de Joux's first car was a 1936 Austin Seven Ruby. He removed the body, designed and built a fibreglass body for it. Possibly New Zealand's first. Internationally de Joux is perhaps best known as the designer and manufacturer of a series of fibreglass bodies for Buckler sports cars. One of the first Buckler's to his design was Ivy Stephenson's.

From there he created a Holden Special followed by a Ferrari Special. Jack Brabham commented that the Ferrari was the best non factory built car he had seen and offered him a job. de Joux declined.

de Joux bought the Ferrari 375 that José Froilán González drove and won the 1951 British Grand Prix at Silverstone from New Zealand racing driver Ron Roycroft. He converted it into a Gran Turismo that looked like a genuine factory built Ferrari road car. It was an exquisitely proportioned car used by de Joux daily for the next four and a half years until he sold it. The car was restored back to a single seater by a Christchurch classic car enthusiast and is now owned by Bernie Ecclestone.

In 1962 de Joux and Auckland mechanic Kevin Lamb made two deJoux Gran Turismo cars. The GT's look like a cross between a Maserati A6G and an AC Bristol Zagato with 1950's and 1960s styling.[1] Also around this time De Joux is thought to have designed the Orchid, a 1960's period racer, molded by The Australasian Motor Works. Among several sports racers de Joux built was a Ferrari-Jaguar combination - called the Ferraguar.[2] "

This is all new to me and that is why I love this site.
(Thanks Mr. Steve Holmes, we will be forever grateful for "The Roaring Season" and allowing us to "let it rip")
(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-19-2015, 04:55 AM
Thanks to TRS, I found this posting of the De Joux Holden Special. It almost looks like a 1955 Mercedes 300 SL !

" 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM #3

Patrick.Harlow

Patrick.Harlow is offline Weekend Warrior
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were actually three of these cars built. The first was a 2+2. Happy with the success of the buckler body Ferris believed that there was a market for a fully enclosed coupe. He built the 2+2 car, used it as an everyday runner as well as racing it occassionally. Then Keven Lamb convinced Ferris to shorten the next car and make it a 2 seater. Hence the second car had 200 millimetres taken out of its roof and 100mm out its scuttle shortening the car by 300mm in total. The headlight arrangement was also altered.
Below is the only picture I have of the 2+2 (Ferris standing beside it)Name: F deJoux- GT Holden based. 4 seater. Raced by Ferris who is standing in front of it.sm.JPG Views: 443 Size: 69.6 KB

I am pretty sure this is taken at Ardmore, January 9th 1960. The car number 20 is correct and in the background is car # 124, a Buckler Mk 90, driven by C.S. Judd that day. (It looks like Ardmore in the background )

(ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-19-2015, 10:23 PM
This is a list of the entrants in the two sports car races at the Ardmore NZGP meet in 1960.

(Ken Hyndman ) I think some of these contestants are the parents of some future well known drivers.

khyndart in CA
03-20-2015, 12:38 AM
Some of the advertising was interesting back in the 1960 programme.

( Ken Hyndman )

Allan
03-20-2015, 08:35 PM
What is interesting about those pages from the program is the First place prize money for the Ultimate Echo Race Car Feature. In 1960 150 pounds was a lot of money when the average was about 20 pounds a week (someone may correct me if I'm wrong) and you could fly to New Caledonia for 61 pounds. So according to my calculations that would make the prize money in today's dollars approaching $5000. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

khyndart in CA
03-20-2015, 09:35 PM
Allan, That might be why Bruce McLaren turned to sports cars when you note that driving his Jaguar around, the best he could win was 60 pounds. But the sports car winner was more than twice as much at 150 pounds ! Is this what sowed the seeds for our future Can Am champion ?

khyndart in CA
03-20-2015, 11:50 PM
Ardmore. Jan 9th 1960. Here is the entry list for the main event. The 7th New Zealand Grand Prix.

Note entry number 88 is the remarkable Ron Roycroft who has entered his Blue Ferrari 375 with the 4.5 liter V-12 for the fourth year in a row. Ron became a legend when he led all the field for over 10 laps in 1957 before the on-board heat and fumes almost caused him to pass out and he was lucky to come in when he did, completely exhausted. As the photo shows he gave it all he could. A brave man indeed.

Ron Roycroft in his Ferrari at Ardmore before the 1957 NZGP
(photo thanks to Eoin Young's "Classic Racer" book )
(In the book Ron is quoted as saying the huge drum brakes were a handful. " None at all when car was cold, then great for 3 laps, then nothing for the rest of the race !" If you hit the brakes it could throw the car left or right until they were warm ! )
Wow that must have been exciting !
If you note in the next album photo that Ron is on the very right and it looks like he is allowing for the inevitable brake lock to get him around the fast right hand College Corner at the start of the 1960 NZGP.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-21-2015, 12:12 AM
I found this short movie of the 1957 NZGP at Ardmore.
(Thanks to Pacific Films )

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/grand-prix-down-under-1957

(Ken Hyndman )

Allan
03-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Forgive me but my calculations are wrong. According to the Reserve Bank website the 1000 pound prize money for winning the 1960 NZIGP has the equivalent of $70,447 in today's money.

fullnoise68
03-22-2015, 09:24 AM
Its all relative to the that era Allan. If you look at how much a Maserati 250F cost then, to what one is worth today, it puts it in perspective $$$ wise .....

Jac Mac
03-22-2015, 09:24 PM
So if we still have/had a 2015 NZIGP would or did the winner of that race this year receive ~$70,000.00?

fullnoise68
03-22-2015, 09:49 PM
So if we still have/had a 2015 NZIGP would or did the winner of that race this year receive ~$70,000.00?

Obviously not Jac Mac, but the point I was making about `that era' was the calibre of the overseas guys competing in the NZIGP ..... most of todays F1 show ponies would want 70k just to front up, let alone race .....

Jac Mac
03-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Obviously not Jac Mac, but the point I was making about `that era' was the calibre of the overseas guys competing in the NZIGP ..... most of todays F1 show ponies would want 70k just to front up, let alone race .....

Going thru that list I don't see many if any drivers who could be considered 'show ponies'. Perhaps that's the core of what is missing from most avenues of motorsport today, not many driver /builders anymore and any 'kiwi' diy efforts are virtually killed off by rules for the sake of rules.

khyndart in CA
03-22-2015, 11:41 PM
My father in Event 2, #92 Singer 9 ......

Steve, Do you have any memories or photos of this car and Ardmore ?
It would be great to see.

(Ken Hyndman )

fullnoise68
03-23-2015, 01:52 AM
Ardmore was a bit before my time Ken, I arrived in this world the same year the Puke track was opened ( 1963 ).... I know it was a Singer 9 Sports and I`ll ask my younger brother if he has any photos of it.

khyndart in CA
03-23-2015, 05:48 AM
Perhaps I found a photo of the Elliott family & crew on their way to the races in their Singer !

(Ken Hyndman )

fullnoise68
03-23-2015, 08:12 AM
High performance bit of gear for sure Ken ..... not!

Spgeti
03-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't you want to own that today....Singer LeMans ??

Greg Mackie
03-23-2015, 10:48 AM
It is a Singer Le Mans...well spotted.

khyndart in CA
03-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Some more advertising from the 1960 NZGP programme when it was still in pounds, shillings and pence ..etc. (Life in 1960 in NZ )

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-24-2015, 10:55 PM
Moving on to 1962 when Ardmore held it's last New Zealand Grand Prix on Jan. 6th 1962.

Note the prize money for the winner is half as much as in 1960 !
(Can any one explain the "pay cut" ? )

(Ken Hyndman )

Allan
03-25-2015, 07:31 AM
In 1960 the winner received 1000 pounds. In 1962 only 500.

khyndart in CA
03-25-2015, 04:46 PM
I wonder what the reason was for the pay cut. Total prize money in 1960 was 2560 pounds. In 1962 it was 1570 pounds.
Can you imagine telling the teams & drivers today. " Sorry lads your winnings will be half of what it was 2 years ago !"
There must have been some other attraction for the international teams to come all the way out to NZ and Australia.
(any input is appreciated for the question of the day.." Why the pay cut ?"
Perhaps they were saving for the move to Pukekohe.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Ardmore. Jan 6 th 1962. Entrants list for the Saloon Car Race up to 1600 cc. Again some well known names in this race including; Bruce Mclaren, Ron Flockhart and Roy Salvadori along with all the local drivers.

khyndart in CA
03-26-2015, 05:14 PM
Ardmore. First lap of saloon car race up to 1600 cc.
Kerry Grant in his Austin Farina # 118 leading R.Redmayne in his Wolseley # 129 followed by Roy Harrington in his Morris Minor # 121 who is just ahead of Ron Flockhart in his Austin Mini Cooper 998
and the rest of the field as they charge through College Corner.

( Ken Hyndman's scrap album picture from the 8 0clock newspaper)

GD66
03-27-2015, 12:54 AM
Roy Harrington ?

khyndart in CA
03-27-2015, 05:04 AM
GD66,
I was just testing to see if anyone was paying any attention to what I am entering as there are very few comments and no answers to the questions I put out. So you pass the test. Thank you. Actually I did have a friend in Santa Barbara named Rod Harrington so it was my error when R.D. Harrington became Rod. I have some more programme inputs left to go and I do appreciate any of your inputs or memories also. I have carried this stuff to the States so I imagine many of you have much the same material from this era also so I do not want to be too repetitive and boring but I am enjoying doing this and getting it out on TRS before it is forgotten or lost altogether.

(Ken Hyndman )

Shoreboy57
03-27-2015, 05:22 AM
Ardmore. College Corner. First lap of saloon car race up to 1600 cc.
Kerry Grant in his Austin Farina # 118 leading R.Redmayne in his Wolseley # 129 followed by Rod Harrington in his Morris Minor # 121 who is closely followed by Ron Flockhart in his Austin Mini Cooper 998.

( Ken Hyndman's scrap album picture from the 8 0clock newspaper)

Ken - that really is a great picture of the day - a very full and diverse field of saloons on the charge

GD66
03-27-2015, 09:16 AM
GD66,
I was just testing
I have some more programme inputs left to go and I do appreciate any of your inputs or memories also.

Keep at it mate, they are great reading.

khyndart in CA
03-27-2015, 11:33 PM
Oops ! Ardmore Saloon car race up to 1600 cc. Jan 1962

D.A. Currey facing the wrong direction in his 848 cc Mini as B.Elder goes by in his Singer Gazelle.

(K Hyndman scrapbook )

Greg Mackie
03-28-2015, 12:18 AM
Looks about right to me...Currey has got the engine and drive in the correct end. :)

Grant Sprague
03-28-2015, 12:35 AM
Ken - that really is a great picture of the day - a very full and diverse field of saloons on the chargeThank you Ken always great to get info from you .... Grant

khyndart in CA
03-28-2015, 08:29 AM
I remember being here at Ardmore with friends and cousins and cheering on anyone from the Morrinsville / Hamilton area that was racing that day. We certainly had plenty to cheer on even though we eventually got soaked in the rain.
From the local BMC dealer, Neil Johns in his 848 cc Mini, Dennis Marwood in his Humber 80, Ross Greenville in his Lotus 18, Spinner Black had a Mistral TR 2, Kris Kay in a Ford 10 Special and Brian Innes with his Ford Zephyr.
Morrinsville was well represented that day in January 1962 and we were noisy little brats letting everyone know around us know that, as we watched from in front of the Tatts Stand at the final corner before the finish line.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-29-2015, 01:08 AM
I have mentioned before that a relative was involved with the Motordrome Service Station in Te Rapa and they had this race team which had some future stars and again Morrinsville was well represented in 1962 with Marwood, Greenville and Innes being on the team along with Howden Ganley.

khyndart in CA
03-29-2015, 01:29 AM
The Ardmore race for saloon cars over 1600 cc assembled as the rain started.

G.Dixon in his Chevrolet ( 141) leads a bunched field around College Corner on the first lap.
The 8 lap race was a hard fought dice at the front between John Riley in his older Chevrolet and Brian Innes in his Motordrome Team green Ford Zephyr. Brian Innes held on to win and our section of the crowd cheered him on as the rain started to get heavier.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Earlier in the day Angus Hyslop won the Ardmore Championship Race for NZ drivers only, in his Cooper. Some well known names are listed for this event including a certain Mr C.A. Amon.

In this clipping of the first lap, Hyslop is already leading and only briefly challenged by Johnny Mansel in car # 17. Behind Mansel is Rod Coppins in his Tec Mec # 16 with Tony Shelly on the far right. Behind Shelly is Forrest Cardon in the Lycoming and directly behind him and in one of his first races is the great Chris Amon in his Maserati 250 F.

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
03-30-2015, 09:19 AM
I have mentioned before that a relative was involved with the Motordrome Service Station in Te Rapa and they had this race team which had some future stars and again Morrinsville was well represented in 1962 with Marwood, Greenville and Innes being on the team along with Howden Ganley.
What a beaut photo....early years racing team ....so cool Thank you Ken .......

khyndart in CA
04-01-2015, 12:50 AM

You may note that this next race started at 10.30 am and the previous race was at 9.55 am and some of the same cars were in both races ! Wow. That did not give much time to get ready especially on a warm Ardmore day. I know we have early English cars that have real chronic starting problems after they have sat for 15 -20 minutes and the heat being transferred from the engine through the intake manifold and into the carburetor bodies, which then boils the fuel in the float bowls so that the mixture is all wrong when you try to re-start the car. This may have happened to Forrest Cardon and Rod Coppins when they tried to start the Sports Car Trophy Race. Sadly they did not get to compete at all in this race.
( Thanks to Stu Buchanan for the great coloured photos of this LeMans type start..some of the drivers and cars were already worn out. I wonder who set this race schedule ? ! )

28429 (K Hyndman scrapbook )

(coloured photos thanks to Stu Buchanan )

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-01-2015, 01:27 AM
Question; Is the car number 74 driven by J. Nicholson, the John Nicholson of McLaren, Cosworth engines and Lyncar fame ?

( Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
04-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Ken I am not sure , I thought John would have been a lot younger as in these piks BUT the driver second on the right does not appear to have a skid lid on ?????? when running towards his car , I find the very interesting ...

khyndart in CA
04-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Grant, that is Rod Coppins running to his TecMec # 16. He has his helmet on in the last picture so the other picture does make for interesting optics !
John Nicholson was born in 1941, Chris Amon was born in 1943 and he was driving here at the age of 18 so it is possible it is John or possibly a family member.
Any input is appreciated.

I am still amazed that the Lycoming and the TecMec were entered in 4 races that day including the NZ Grand Prix !
That would have kept their mechanics busy, that's for sure !

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
04-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Thank you Ken , I was at the recent scope meeting at Ruapuna , the Lycoming was racing in the historics and was driven hard I might add, as for John Nicholson I had never heard of him until I went to UK in mid 70,s there was an article of him in Autosport... from that day on I followed his activites in motor sports.....an other GREAT KIWI in UK doing the big time .......that most of us dream about but by saying that if we really really wanted to be like John we would have given it a go & who knows personal choices when we were young we all take the road that suits our souls..Iife is so interesting ... just love it ....hope you all good there Ken..... Grant

John H
04-01-2015, 08:03 PM
Offers please. Motor Action 19th April 1974,
Auckland Car Club Pukekohe Program 1964 4th April.
Auckland Car Club 75th Anniversary booklet. email hatz@xtra.co.nz
I'm in Eastern suburbs Auckland. Thanks

John B
04-02-2015, 01:56 AM
Can someone tell me the beach / harbour that the drivers are enjoying themselves at in the movie, before the 1961 NZGP .

( Thanks, Ken Hyndman )

Hi Ken,
The initial scenes of the public on a beach were shot at Auckland's "Mission Bay", but the group of drivers and water skiing scenes were taken on one of the islands in the Hauraki Gulf - probably Waiheke Island.
Cheers, John

khyndart in CA
04-02-2015, 04:44 AM
Thanks John. They all seemed to enjoy coming out to NZ back then, especially from a European winter.

(Ken )

khyndart in CA
04-02-2015, 05:07 AM
Ardmore Jan. 1962.
Simon Taylor driving his white D-type Jaguar # 33 won the sports car race, event # 4. He won the footrace to the car and was first away in the LeMans start and was never headed especially as his main opposition of Cardon and Coppins were stranded on the grid !
Taylor did not do as well in the later event # 7 as shown in these cuttings from the K Hyndman scrapbook.
Also shown is a young 19 year old driver Mr K.J.(Ken) Smith, driving a Cooper Holden # 57. (This same car sold in Europe about 10 years ago now with a Maserati engine installed for over one million pounds !)

(Ken Hyndman & scrapbook collection.

stubuchanan
04-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Grant, that is Rod Coppins running to his TecMec # 16. He has his helmet on in the last picture so the other picture does make for interesting optics !
John Nicholson was born in 1941, Chris Amon was born in 1943 and he was driving here at the age of 18 so it is possible it is John or possibly a family member.
Any input is appreciated.

I am still amazed that the Lycoming and the TecMec were entered in 4 races that day including the NZ Grand Prix !
That would have kept their mechanics busy, that's for sure !

(Ken Hyndman )

Thanks for your kind words about my colour slides - there are actually 2 others which fit in between the 2 you put up, time-wise. Coppins is wearing a helmet, it shows up if you blow up the image, but 1960's helmets were quite small, by comparison with later years. J.Nicholson probably wasnt the engine building man, and in any case he didn't start, and my old clippings/programmes don't show him running an A/Healey anywhere else around that time.

This was quite an interest/eventful race, as it turned out. I was swapping emails a few years ago with David McKinney and we found we both done lap charts of the race, me from the main grandstand, and he from the bend before the hairpin, where the cars were closer, and going much slower - better for photos etc. Somebody (bodies?) spun at College corner on the first lap, and when the leader Simon Taylor got to the hairpin he had a 30 second lead, and the there was the downpour!

I will transcribe Dave McK's email and post it tomorrow, it makes good reading.

Stu Buchanan

Grant Sprague
04-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Thank you Stu........not to mention but the cars here in the piks such great looking little sports cars , & yes some fantastic history as well many thanks ........ grant

Kevin Hirst
04-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Thank you Stu........not to mention but the cars here in the piks such great looking little sports cars , & yes some fantastic history as well many thanks ........ grant

Simon used to round up the cows on the farm with the jag on many occasions, very expensive quad, 50 gallons of avgas to fill up.

khyndart in CA
04-02-2015, 10:49 PM
Simon used to round up the cows on the farm with the jag on many occasions, very expensive quad, 50 gallons of avgas to fill up.

Hey Kevin, if you have any pics to go along with that event it would be great to post them here.
I have heard about wealthy dairy farmers but that is taking it to a whole new level !
Cheers, Ken.

Kevin Hirst
04-03-2015, 01:06 AM
Hey Kevin, if you have any pics to go along with that event it would be great to post them here.
I have heard about wealthy dairy farmers but that is taking it to a whole new level !
Cheers, Ken.

No unfortunately havn't got any photo,s of that stuff anymore, Simon was [ or is] a very lovely english gentleman & a real hard case, would love to know where he is now, must have been sent out to the colonies for being a naughty boy back in England but he was allowed to bring his toy,s with him.

khyndart in CA
04-03-2015, 09:10 PM
1962 Ardmore Motor Cycle TT up to 500 c.c.
This race featured some riders including Hugh Anderson from Ohinewai and Ginger Molloy from Huntly. They finished 1st & 2nd in this race so the central Waikato was well represented on this day.
I note # 5 bike is ridden by F.Cardon. If this is the Lycoming driver, he certainly had a busy day !
It was a big field and if you placed below 7th there was not much reward for these brave men. As the scrapbook shows it could be rough going out there especially as the weather changed.

(Ken Hyndman )

(scrapbook of 8o'clock cuttings )

Oldfart
04-03-2015, 09:58 PM
That has a number of International riders from the day. Len Perry, Peter Pawson and the 2 already mentioned, I am sure others will add to this.

khyndart in CA
04-06-2015, 09:24 PM
1962 NZGP. January 6th. 1962. Ardmore's last Grand Prix.
By 2 pm as the main event was to begin it really started to rain and by this time we were pretty well drenched. It was amazing the race was allowed to start and we thought the weather would clear but it only got worse.
Stirling Moss did not have time to qualify and had to start at the back of the 21 car field.
Note where he is at the first corner, in 7th place already !

After one of his greatest drives Stirling beat everyone in dreadful conditions. It was also one of his last wins before a crash at Goodwood during 1962, ended his main racing career.

(Stirling enjoyed looking through my scrapbook and signed the last newspaper clipping. )

(Ken Hyndman )

John H
04-07-2015, 05:23 AM
1962 NZGP. January 6th. 1962. Ardmore's last Grand Prix.
By 2 pm as the main event was to begin it really started to rain and by this time we were pretty well drenched. It was amazing the race was allowed to start and we thought the weather would clear but it only got worse.
Stirling Moss did not have time to qualify and had to start at the back of the 21 car field.
Note where he is at the first corner, in 7th place already !

After one of his greatest drives Stirling beat everyone in dreadful conditions. It was also one of his last wins before a crash at Goodwood during 1962, ended his main racing career.

(Stirling enjoyed looking through my scrapbook and signed the last newspaper clipping. )

(Ken Hyndman ) Amazing photos. Never seen these. I remember it all well. I had never heard of Amon but can still hear his car booming out of the hairpin. Moss casually waving as he flew past others. Bruce McLaren seemed very downcast soaking wet, at the end of the race eating his sandwich. A great day indeed. :)

khyndart in CA
04-08-2015, 11:58 PM
John,
I have attached some of the comments of the drivers after the race and it seems McLaren was pretty downcast.
Note how they all wanted to come back but sadly some did not make it back. Flockhart died later in the year and Bandini died in 1967 and Stirling did not race in the NZ Grand Prix again.
Also note how Chris Amon is mentioned as a "newcomer". Little did we know then how great he would become in the next decade.

(Ken Hyndman's clippings )

John H
04-09-2015, 02:42 AM
John,
I have attached some of the comments of the drivers after the race and it seems McLaren was pretty downcast.
Note how they all wanted to come back but sadly some did not make it back. Flockhart died later in the year and Bandini died in 1967 and Stirling did not race in the NZ Grand Prix again.
Also note how Chris Amon is mentioned as a "newcomer". Little did we know then how great he would become in the next decade.

(Ken Hyndman's clippings )
Thanks for that. Very nice of you KH. I didn't know the race had been short and as you say some didn't survive the year.. BTW I have that old program from Puke 1964. Would you like it? ... needs to go to a good home. Just email if you want it. hatz@xtra.co.nz Chrs John H

khyndart in CA
04-09-2015, 03:43 AM
Thanks John,
I appreciate the offer but I do have NZGP 1964 programme which is coming up. If you have a 1963 programme out there I would be interested. I forgot to put in the final race results and had a hard time explaining the race times shown when a race is stopped early.
If you can do that for me I would be most appreciative.

Seeing Ross Greenville's name does bring back memories of when my friend, Jim also from Morrinsville and I were in LA in August 1972 and we contacted Ross who was living near LAX. We went around when Spinner Black was also there preparing for a trip back to NZ. I don't think I have laughed so much as the stories were told and we had to make certain engine parts looked used and then put into various pockets and jackets and take Spinner and others to the airport explaining to the curious that the heavy clothing was due to the severe cold weather back in NZ even as it was hot and very smoggy in LA at that time. I was glad to leave them off at the airport and get out of there before I was involved in sneaking engine parts into NZ ! When I visited Ross at the Mount in 2003 we had a good laugh about this memory. He was a character and with Spinner there also, it was priceless.

John H
04-09-2015, 03:51 AM
Thanks John,
I appreciate the offer but I do have NZGP 1964 programme which is coming up. If you have a 1963 programme out there I would be interested. I forgot to put in the final race results and had a hard time explaining the race times shown when a race is stopped early.
If you can do that for me I would be most appreciative.

Seeing Ross Greenville's name does bring back memories of when my friend, Jim also from Morrinsville and me were in LA in August 1972 and we contacted Ross who was living near LAX. We went around when Spinner Black was also there preparing for a trip back to NZ. I don't think I have laughed so much as the stories were told and we had to make certain engine parts looked used and then put into various pockets and jackets and take Spinner and others to the airport explaining to the curious that the heavy clothing was due to the severe cold weather back in NZ even as it was hot and very smoggy in LA at that time. I was glad to leave them off at the airport and get out of there before I was involved in sneaking engine parts into NZ ! When I visited Ross at the Mount in 2003 we had a good laugh about this memory. He was a character and with Spinner there also, it was priceless.

Love it. The program is the National April 1964 meeting Auckland Car club reluctant to dump it. I also had a good look at the Grenville ex Palmer Lotus after that Ardmore wet race. Veryone and everything was wet. Thanks again. :)

GD66
04-09-2015, 08:05 AM
1962 Ardmore Motor Cycle TT up to 500 c.c.
I note # 5 bike is ridden by F.Cardon. If this is the Lycoming driver, he certainly had a busy day !

(scrapbook of 8o'clock cuttings )

Hi Ken,
Thanks for these cuttings, I had them in an old scrapbook for years but they were well time-ravaged. I have taken the liberty of sharing them to a fb page related to the history of NZ Motorcycle racing with a credit to you, if that's not ok I will soon pluck them off !
Regarding Forrest Cardon, yes it is the Lycoming pilot, I was about to spring into print and say Malcolm Gill would probably have been the driver but that was in 1961, and Forrest was winding down his distinguished bike racing career and did indeed race the Lycoming that same day at Ardmore in 1962. For years he held a spot in the NZACU rulebook as holder of a beach speed record set at Muriwai : he had raced speedway and roadracing with great success and this pic is from his win on a Manx Norton at the 1961 Cust Grand Prix held outside Christchurch on swept, oiled gravel roads !

khyndart in CA
04-09-2015, 08:07 PM
GD...
I am happy you can do something with these old clippings.
I also found this page from the 1962 programme.

Remember the days of "Overseas Funds"
If you wanted a decent new car, this is what you had to have back then.

(From the pages of the 1962 NZGP programme)

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Ardmore. Jan. 1962. The last New Zealand Grand Prix at this circuit.
Here is a silent YouTube clip of what it was like at Ardmore that day.
Perhaps the skinny tires of the day helped in the rain compared to the wide tires of today.
There were not many spins and most of the problems were caused by poor visibility and the drivers being soaked !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEmoya_LhG4

(Ken Hyndman )

SPman
04-14-2015, 08:44 AM
Interesting program. Hugh Anderson was back a couple of years later demo'ing a works 125 Suzuki at the GP.

khyndart in CA
04-22-2015, 07:13 AM
January 1963.
The NZ Grand Prix now moved from Ardmore, to a new circuit at Pukekohe ( "the hill of the koekohe, New Zealand's native mahogany tree).
The circuit was built for an amazingly low price of fifty thousand pounds!
If you look closely at this newspaper cutting of Bruce McLaren bursting through you will note the track is not built yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7bmxjB_-Aw

A silent Youtube brief video of what the first race at Pukekohe looked like. Again note the crowd size.

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
04-22-2015, 07:57 AM
wooow Ken this is amazing , looking down on the then new circuit.... did not realise the follow through to railway was an after thought, now one other thing I am sure I was there with mum & Dad on opening yr 1963 ....... my understanding there was a good race when Bruce brought out his mini cooper [semi works....or works] & had a great race with a green mk 3 zepher , I heard a few stories ......... hey Ken did you know that Vern Jacobsons , is now leased out to Stadium Cars [jap importers] we are have a very mild autumn to date .....

Gearbox Grinder
04-23-2015, 12:13 AM
A few slides from the 1961 GP.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03460%20800x525_zpsvpuch3tf.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03461%20800x546_zpsvymgkynh.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03462%20800x532_zpsmi06eupl.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03463%20800x535_zps7c9c5zur.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03464%20800x513_zpsyopqwyih.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03466%20800x509%202_zpsnapfsafk.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
04-23-2015, 12:14 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/4af80e38-9977-4187-b268-8893d5c3988e_zpsnhcckz0h.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03468%20800x533_zpsjxekmoee.jpg

chaindrive
04-23-2015, 12:51 AM
Is that Pat Hoare 246 Dino f1 the prettiest car ever ?????????

Oldfart
04-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Grinder, fabulous photos taking me back!

John H
04-23-2015, 01:53 AM
Grinder, fabulous photos taking me back!
I cant believe these photos!!! Yes it is Pat Hoare and I can still see that beautiful car sliding out of the clover leaf!!! What a classic. Brabham's car roped on a trailer that seems to be made out of 12 mil steel rod. :)

khyndart in CA
04-23-2015, 02:11 AM
Grinder,
Thanks for sharing these fabulous photos. Some great drivers drove these cars.
# 1 Lotus was for Innes Ireland. # 6 Lotus was for Jim Clark. # 7 Lotus was for Stirling Moss.
# 8 BRM was for Graham Hill. # 9 BRM was for Dan Gurney.
# 25 Cooper was for Joakim Bonnier.
But Pat Hoare's Ferrari # 19 is the best looking of all in my opinion.
Wow these are so clear..great stuff.

( Ken Hyndman )

Ross Hollings
04-23-2015, 05:58 AM
Brilliant photos !!!!! Never made it to Ardmore,wow fantastic.

Grant Sprague
04-23-2015, 07:10 AM
Agreed....what such great photos ....never ever seen b 4 must be lots around we have never seen .......takes us back a bit Thank you for sharing these ...... Grant

Gearbox Grinder
04-23-2015, 08:55 AM
Cheers,have some more from '61 & '66 GP,Dads candid shots as he wandered around the pits & paddock,certinally never been seen before,will endevour to scan them up over the weekend.
Thats me at Ardmore in the pram looking unimpressed by the whole thing.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03458%20800x575_zpspxbtcoma.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03682%20800x551_zps4lo3xpad.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03684%20800x497_zpsiouh9me7.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
04-24-2015, 12:51 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03727%20800x644_zpsav4jm52g.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03724%20800x546_zpssgvvbneh.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03723%20800x461_zps6qthcmkh.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03721%20800x534_zpsvcrgpmoe.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03710%20800x563_zpsiramo3n9.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03698%20800x559_zpsvst2jdvk.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
04-24-2015, 12:54 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03695%20800x575_zpsfqktoxrr.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03690%20800x468_zpsokxftfdc.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03689%20800x478_zpseoo9npj2.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03687%20603x800_zpsxidmyab7.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03685%20800x616_zpsjd13yevb.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03674%20800x539_zpsmimnh0ny.jpg

Oldfart
04-24-2015, 01:58 AM
I seem to remember somewhere you said your shots were your Dads "candid shots". These are platinum (beyond gold!!!) We will forgive the couple which are reversed. Thanks so much for sharing.

khyndart in CA
04-24-2015, 03:55 AM
Grinder,
These are just superb photos. Thanks for sharing them. I like the one with Jim Clark and Denny Hulme especially as it captures Clark where he is nervous off the track and was known to always pick at his fingernails (that is something I have in common with Jim !)
Your photos also capture the open atmosphere where everyone is friendly to each other. I think Jack Brabham loaned parts to Stirling Moss so he could go out and compete one year. The colour is just fantastic. I can't thank you enough. Please share any more that your Dad may have taken.

(Ken Hyndman )

Gearbox Grinder
04-24-2015, 05:18 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03729%20800x740_zpsdzbjotgv.jpg

Cooper997
04-24-2015, 06:47 AM
You Kiwis blow me away. I've kept an eye on Ken's great efforts with this thread, but Gearbox Grinder you have added a brilliant new dimension.

Not only has your dad captured some great atmosphere of the 1961 NZ GP, he's also captured John Cooper during what was his only trip downunder during those successful Cooper years. He was the current F1 Constructors champion (2 years running) as he stood there that weekend in January 1961. That's John with left leg on the rear wheel of Jack Brabham's #4 Cooper T53. It's John in the most recent shot posted, complete with pipe.

Love the modern transportation used to tow the then F1 greats. Can you imagine the latest McLaren or Red Bull being towed by a Kia or suchlike.

I don't think its been mentioned but that's Arnold Glass' #10 Cooper Maserati T45 with the Vauxhall behind it.

I've passed the link to Mike Cooper, son of John. He will enjoy seeing them just like the rest of us.

Thank you for showing these Gearbox Grinder.

Stephen

khyndart in CA
04-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Thank you all for the inputs and comments.
I think it is appropriate to watch this YouTube clip of the 1961 NZ Grand Prix once again. ( Thanks again Gearbox Grinder )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmaIdYmWmiA

( Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
04-24-2015, 08:35 AM
Roly mentioned to me that when Jim came out from Uk he [Jim] often gave fire proof overalls [left overs ] etc to some of the kiwis, as there was nothing at that time up to speed to help drivers in case of fire etc

Cooper997
04-25-2015, 07:52 AM
Mike Cooper was a lad of about 6 when the 1961 NZ GP took place. He's responded to these great photos... "Amazing old pic of dad in NZ" He doesn't recall seeing any photos of his dad in NZ before.

Mike also commented about the Cooper on the trailer, "when you look at all the saloon cars in back ground , they make the Cooper look like something from the future." Hard to argue with the Austins, Vauxhall & Ford Zephyr shown.

Well done Gearbox Grinder for showing these photos

Stephen

khyndart in CA
04-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Stephen,
I would be interested to know if Mike Cooper had seen the YouTube clip of the 1961 NZGP and his dad and others relaxing at the beach with drivers and friends before the racing. So different to what takes place today.

BTW. I have my own 1962 Austin Mini Cooper 997.
Although it now has a whopping A + 998 in it.

(Ken Hyndman )

Cooper997
04-25-2015, 10:58 AM
Ken, very nice looking 997. Very hard to find one still with its 997 these days.

I've only just watched the 1961 film - a great find and some great footage. Although I'm not sure Mike will want to see his dad in his swimmers. Plus the old decree of the F1 lads "what happens in New Zealand, stays in New Zealand" (laughs). I will however pass on details to him.

Stephen

Grant Sprague
04-25-2015, 07:32 PM
That was an interesting snippet on Mike ....Ken you have a pretty little cooper........do u remember the one Keith owned [blue] from that parts dept where you worked in Cameron Rd..... it has been restored [lovingly] by Hank Verryt a local car dealer in Tauranga , we are heading slowly into autumn ... still warm days seasons changing big time ...Grant

khyndart in CA
04-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Grant,
I always appreciate your updates on the home front.
I do now remember that blue Cooper going up the hill past the Summit Garage at Otumoetai & Waihi roads when I worked there in 1990 with Steve O'Donohue. ( he was a good man..sure knew all about Formula Fords & Minis )

Ken H

Allan
04-26-2015, 06:04 AM
Got all my fuel from Summit S/S when in Tauranga.

Grant Sprague
04-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Yep well the s/ station is still there guys ...... Tauranga has grown so fast.........amazing how things change ..... I was told Timaru was a city b 4 Tauranga........... Timaru still only 32ooo approx..... you could add a 100, 000 plus now pop for Tauranga ....... I live out Pyes Pa way about 15k south ...... the new development re, school, shopping centres ,new sub divisions etc is quite exciting , I mentioned to Kylie we might sell up & move back into town [been in country about 15yrs]......we had a discussion & decided to stay put as the town is coming to us ....... country life is cool , native birds , trees etc open space ..ok I am off track lol

Cooper997
04-29-2015, 01:27 AM
Ken,

Received word back from Mike Cooper last night about the 1961 NZ GP footage, part of which follows...

"Great piece of film. Seeing my dad in swimming trunks, lying on the beach, Ha.
It was great to watch , I sent it to my sister and she also loved it."

Mike also mentioned that his dad had a photo hanging at this home, when skiing in NZ.

So a great find Ken.

Stephen

khyndart in CA
04-29-2015, 04:24 AM
Thanks Stephen,
I really appreciate you sending this to Mike and also onto his sister.
One never knows when an old scrapbook cutting, movie or photo etc.can revive a memory for someone out there.
Perhaps Mike will become a Roaring Season follower now and provide some of his own input.
Cheers,
Ken.

khyndart in CA
04-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Jan 5 1963.
We got up early to pile into our 1960 Humber Hawk with dad at the wheel plus an uncle and the rest of us little urchins piled in the back on a hot summer day and headed off to Pukekohe.(No A/C back then !) Uncle George telling us how he was camped there before being shipped off to North Africa in WW 2. We arrived and parked over by the Loop Corner which was after the Elbow. (You will have to go to the archives to find those corners now ). We just stayed at the car and watched the racing. At the start of the Grand Prix I noticed how bright and shining were the wheels on Bruce McLaren's Cooper, which can seen in the Sergent photo. We were disappointed when he dropped out and then we cheered on Graham Hill in the Ferguson because we had a Fergie tractor at home. Graham's car came to a halt on the last lap and Angus Hyslop came in second. I think we were all disappointed in how the day turned out and it was a long haul home. ( That is my memory of the day ). John Surtees in a Lola had made it look too easy. It was not until years later when I was at Laguna Seca in 2007 and I met up with Peter Bryant that I found out more about the 1963 Pukekohe Grand Prix. (To be continued )

Bruce Sergent photo.
(L-R, John Surtees, Tony Maggs, Chris Amon,Jack Brabham, Bruce McLaren,Tony Shelly and Graham Hill.
( Note Graham Hill on the right trying to get the 4WD Ferguson up to speed.
Also those bright wheels on the McLaren Cooper. Strange what one remembers from back then over
52 years ago !)

(Ken Hyndman )

Gearbox Grinder
04-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Early Pukekohe,including the Fergusson and Bruce McLarens swimming spot in the creek.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03822%20658x424_zpskn434b5g.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03818%20800x523_zpsplxdxrjt.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03802%20800x553_zps4fwh1fnj.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03797%20800x558_zps7qbntgqc.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03792%20800x554_zpsd1kblakn.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03791%20800x582_zpspanmioxn.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
04-30-2015, 09:16 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03785%20784x542_zpszl3ovnyr.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03771%20800x571_zps5nlrdsdx.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03768%20800x545_zpsrqjcvjr4.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03766%20800x563_zps7lf3n6vx.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03763%20795x800_zpss2hswsg5.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03757%20800x556_zpslxl4eiyp.jpg

khyndart in CA
04-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Grinder,
You have once again come through with some wonderful photos from that era. Thank you so much.
First photo is ; Denis Hulme's Brabham BT7A at Pukekohe 1964. Then a young looking Chis Amon. Then the #48 Cooper T70 driven by Tim Mayer which was to tragically crash in the last 1964 race in Tasmania, claiming Tim's life. Angus Hyslop Cooper T45. Jim Palmer with his Lotus 20. The 4WD Ferguson P99 driven by a relaxed Graham Hill at Pukekohe and at other races by Innes Ireland. The spot by the creek where Bruce McLaren tried another method of water cooling his CooperT79 in 1965 ! Bruce talking to Phil Hill at Pukekohe in 1965...this was not a good day for Bruce. Next photo is Bruce after winning the 1964 NZGP..this was a great day for Bruce. Then Frank Gardner at Pukekohe in 1965. Last photo is of Tony Maggs at Pukekohe in 1963.

Thanks again Grinder.

(Ken Hyndman )

Cooper997
05-01-2015, 03:33 AM
Thanks Stephen,
I really appreciate you sending this to Mike and also onto his sister.
One never knows when an old scrapbook cutting, movie or photo etc.can revive a memory for someone out there.
Perhaps Mike will become a Roaring Season follower now and provide some of his own input.
Cheers,
Ken.

Ken, I gave Mike the links, but I suspect because of his business interests he might be a bit short on spare time to visit TRS often. But you never know.

Gearbox Grinder has excelled yet again with some brilliant photos. Ken you've done a great job identifying all of them. Just thinking that's more likely Jim Palmer's ex Hyslop #41 Cooper T53 in 1964.

Is the red Lotus on the trailer with Jim, the one used by Ken Sager?

Stephen

khyndart in CA
05-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Stephen,
Yes, that would have been the ex Angus Hyslop T46 Cooper for Jim Palmer with # 41 on it.
Looking at the Tim Mayer Cooper you realize how little protection they had if anything went wrong !
The Jim Palmer Lotus 20 went on to Rex Flowers.

( Ken Hyndman )

(ken

Grant Sprague
05-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Grinder ....... thank you ... beaut photos absolutely [hi ken]

Michael Clark
05-01-2015, 10:00 AM
Ken, despite what some books say, the Hyslop/Palmer Cooper was a T53

khyndart in CA
05-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Michael and Stephen,
You are absolutely correct regarding the T53 Cooper. I should have done a better job with my homework.
Does that lower my grade for the year ?

(Ken H)

Allan
05-01-2015, 08:32 PM
Let off with a stern warning but this time only.
Regards

Michael Clark
05-01-2015, 08:46 PM
No not at all Ken - after all the car was passed off as the Cooper T45 that Hyslop took to the UK.

Fact - he took a Cooper T45

Fact - he brought back a Cooper

Fact - the Cooper he brought back was not the one he took!

khyndart in CA
05-02-2015, 08:30 AM
It was not until years later when I was at Laguna Seca in 2007 and I met up with Peter Bryant that I found out more about the 1963 Pukekohe Grand Prix. Peter was selling his book, "Can-Am Challenger" at Laguna which was the story of his career in racing. When I mentioned to him that I was from NZ he began to tell me of what he remembered of being a mechanic for John Surtees at Pukekohe in 1963. It all fascinated me and I wanted to share this with you even it is old news to some of you. The Surtees Lola 2.7 liter engine car was part of the team run by Reg Parnell. All cars were run on methanol fuel and so they had taken their wet sleeve cylinder liners to be treated with a graphite process which helped avoid the engine oil being washed off the cylinder walls which meant less engine wear.
They kept the process secret and also tried using dried ice on a hot day around the fuel tanks which had the dual effect of having the engine run cooler and produce more power and also keep the cockpit cooler. The Lola certainly ran well that day in 1963 at Pukekohe and easily won the NZGP.

]Peter Bryant with Ken Hyndman...Laguna Seca. 2007. Book signing for "Can-Am Challenger"

K Hyndman photo

khyndart in CA
05-02-2015, 08:45 PM
At the 1963 New Zealand Grand Prix victory banquet in Auckland for the Parnell team,
from left to right: Reg Parnell, mechanic Jimmy Potton, drivers, Tony Maggs, John Surtees, mechanic Peter Bryant and David Oxton on the right.
The Parnell team were always grateful for the Oxtons as Steve Oxton, David's father, was the Coutts Garage manager and they used that facility to prepare their cars. Peter stated he really appreciated David's assistance at the time.

(Peter Bryant photo collection )

khyndart in CA
05-03-2015, 01:22 AM
In 1964 Peter Bryant went to work for Mickey Thompson as they prepared a car for Dave MacDonald to drive at the 1964 Indianapolis 500 race.
Sadly the car crashed in the opening laps and caught fire when the left rear suspension pierced the side fuel cells after hitting the inside wall. The crash claimed the lives of Dave MacDonald and Eddie Sachs. This crash led to major redesigning of future Indy cars. Peter said that the whole Indy scene was a terrifying experience and I don't think he was involved again.

(Indianapolis Motor Speedway Photo from Peter Bryant collection.)

(Ken Hyndman)

Ellis
05-03-2015, 03:39 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03785%20784x542_zpszl3ovnyr.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/DSC03757%20800x556_zpslxl4eiyp.jpg

The chap with the crew cut and sunnies is Aussie Arnold Glass...arm in sling talking to Graham Hill. Glass had an accident at Puke in 1964 ?

khyndart in CA
05-03-2015, 04:40 AM
Ellis,
Arnold Glass had a water ski accident before the 1963 NZGP which prevented him from driving his BRM P48 with a Buick V-8 engine.
January 1963.

Cooper997
05-03-2015, 05:31 AM
Stephen,
Yes, that would have been the ex Angus Hyslop T46 Cooper for Jim Palmer with # 41 on it.
Looking at the Tim Mayer Cooper you realize how little protection they had if anything went wrong !
The Jim Palmer Lotus 20 went on to Rex Flowers.

( Ken Hyndman )

(ken

You guys have got ahead of me, but Ken honest mistake on the T45/T53 that Michael has already clarified what went on.

Given the Cooper shape evolved through the T41/T43/T45/T51/T53 period, it means one can be easily tricked. Especially when the great photo Gearbox Grinder has shown us, was taken at that above the nose position.

The 2 Arnold Glass photos Ellis mentions with him chatting to Graham Hill and Tony Maggs would be 1963 I suspect. His BRM had been sent to NZ, but Glass injured himself skiing. Making Gearbox Grinders photos rather special.

I enjoy seeing photos of the cars racing on track, but it's the obscure little snippets confirmed in paddock and pit shots that I enjoy seeing even more.

Stephen

khyndart in CA
05-04-2015, 12:02 AM
Peter Bryant began designing and building Can Am cars with many innovative ideas.
In 1969 he introduced the "Ti22" which is the chemical symbol for Titanium which was used a lot on the chassis and suspension.
By the 1970 Can Am season the car was competitive with Jackie Oliver driving. He later became involved with the UOP Shadow Can Am cars and some of those were very different to the McLarens etc !

Anyway I enjoyed my time talking to Peter at Laguna Seca and looked forward to more visits with him but sadly he died suddenly in 2009 and I just wished I had asked him more questions as he was so friendly and had a great memory.
If you get a chance to buy his book you will find it is most interesting reading.

Ti22 at Mosport 1970 (Pete Lyons photo)

Denis Hulme in the M8D McLaren leading the Ti22 driven by Jackie Oliver at Laguna Seca in 1970

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-04-2015, 12:18 AM
While I was researching this about Peter Bryant,I found this photo that was sent to me years ago. (Photographer unknown )
It shows Denis Hulme approaching Turn 9 at Laguna Seca in a McLaren M20 Can Am car (1972 model ).
This was the 1992 Historic Meet in August and this was on the last lap. Denis did not win here although it was to be his last Can Am drive before he died a few weeks later at Bathurst.
(I think this car sold recently for approx. $ 2 million (US) )

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-05-2015, 03:06 AM
I do not know the regulations the Can Am series had back in their heyday but there were some pretty outrageous and wild designs and I think the 1970 Shadow Can Am car takes the cake. Imagine having the 700 + hp engine strapped to your butt. With the low tires and low frontal area it was very quick in a straight line but the smaller brakes and hard wheel bearing wear meant it did have trouble staying competitive. I took these pics of it along with the 101 UOP Shadow Can Am that Peter Bryant was involved with plus a fine example of a 1971 McLaren M8 E built by Trojan Works, at Laguna Seca in 2007.

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Shoreboy57
05-05-2015, 04:37 AM
I do not know the regulations the Can Am series had back in their heyday but their were some pretty outrageous and wild designs and I think the 1970 Shadow Can Am car takes the cake. Imagine having the 700 + hp engine strapped to your butt. With the low tires and low frontal area it was very quick in a straight line but the smaller brakes and hard wheel bearing wear meant it did have trouble staying competitive. I took these pics of it along with the 101 UOP Shadow Can Am that Peter Bryant was involved with plus a fine example of a 1971 McLaren M8 E built by Trojan Works, at Laguna Seca in 2007.

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Regulations? I'm not sure they ever got round to writing any for CanAm

GD66
05-05-2015, 06:28 AM
1: Cars must have four wheels and sports car bodywork.

2: Race starts at 2:00 pm...

khyndart in CA
05-05-2015, 05:45 PM
Laguna Seca 2007.

1974 Shadow DN 4 Can Am car. (Runs on unleaded fuel )

Some wild things look better with their clothes on !
1971 McLaren M8 E

(Ken Hyndman photos)

GD66
05-05-2015, 11:18 PM
More great pics Ken, thanks for sharing. And really enjoyed the Peter Bryant insight, he was a fascinating character with a ripping story.

Gearbox Grinder
05-07-2015, 04:18 AM
Some old sepia's from a cigarette tin.I know No3 is the 'buzz bomb' car,everyones covering their ears.
Sorry for the quality some are tiny box brownie prints.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/4_zpskimxk5pk.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/7_zpsbgetrh3n.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/3_zpsvsoaribm.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/2_zpsmt14knri.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/1_zpsplvoycdm.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/8_zpsbaigva1n.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
05-07-2015, 04:20 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9a_zpsikge0bf8.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9_zpsczkk2adw.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9b_zpsmtnkv4sx.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9c_zpsatwu51fg.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9d_zps8ezquq7z.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9e_zps4ftakbjn.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
05-07-2015, 04:23 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9f_zpsif2fsdxl.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9g_zpswoqoiqy5.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/xx_zpsuub9lmqf.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/xxx_zpsqw4ux3tb.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/x_zpsz9tddwdg.jpg

khyndart in CA
05-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Grinder,
You continue to amaze with the photos your Dad took. (thanks again for sharing
I feel like I am in school sitting a history test with my teacher ready to grade my report card !
I will try to give the first 6 photos correct answers and leave the rest for others to do.
# 1; I believe this is the # 3 Maserati for Reg Hunt at the 1955 NZGP at Ardmore.
# 2 ; Is the Angus Hyslop T53 Cooper being loaded in the rain after the 1962 NZGP at Ardmore. ( I have a newspaper clipping to go along with this )
# 3; Is indeed the pulse jet engine race car of Jim Meikle. Demonstrated at 11.50 a.m. January 11th. 1958. at Ardmore.
# 4 ; Is Australian driver, Bib Stillwell.
# 5; Shows a wet and disappointed Bruce McLaren at the NZGP.Ardmore in 1962. He was one of the favorites before the race and then the rain and Stirling Moss showed up !
# 6 ; Shows English driver, Roy Salvadori in light clothing. Looks like he is saying; "Excuse me I have to get to the toilet really quick !". Ardmore. 1962.

( there, I hope that is satisfactory for the teacher. I await the test results )

(Ken Hyndman )

Gearbox Grinder
05-08-2015, 03:07 AM
Some more from Puke,and the first few from Ardmore,the pulse jet car again.Last few photos the autograph hunter resembles myself.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/3_zps51xkhvyq.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/1_zpschhjqqll.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/2_zpscsa854n7.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/6_zpszhkjq7lw.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/5_zpsplngzce0.jpg
Car has just hit the marshalls post head on
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/9_zpsupzwom8m.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
05-08-2015, 03:09 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/4_zpsxyiavoav.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/8_zpsufdvtbdq.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/7_zpsmmrmnfkf.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/11_zpsznpqz7kt.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/10_zpsdhczma20.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/15_zpst5uejjjy.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
05-08-2015, 03:11 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/12_zpsu5esszzb.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/14_zpseepq3vqw.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/16_zpsurwivtyh.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/13_zpsbravjdp0.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/17_zpssyvhkjwn.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/19_zpsrgihwtgg.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
05-08-2015, 03:14 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/20_zpsbxu2fd8i.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/18_zpsc9dhirve.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/23_zpsi08doacn.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/24_zpsmsfg3rux.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/21_zpspl3yenhm.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/22_zpsl1z0ljbp.jpg

Gearbox Grinder
05-08-2015, 03:16 AM
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/27_zpswvnefxmx.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/28_zpsnxchqpby.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/29_zpsftsovjqf.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/30_zpsc2pfshf6.jpg
I was born in Putaruru,so Roly Levis was the local hero.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z170/fletcherfu24/31_zpshkycox8s.jpg

khyndart in CA
05-08-2015, 07:54 AM
Grinder,
Your photos bring back so many memories to me of going to Pukekohe in 1967 and 1968.
The photos display how relaxed everyone was and how easy it was to get next to the cars and drivers.
The drivers I notice are; Denis Hulme, Richard Attwood, Pedro Rodriguez, Frank Gardner,
Bruce McLaren in a BRM, Roly Levis, Graeme Lawrence and sadly the last time we would see the great Jim Clark.

Great stuff Grinder. Thank you.

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
05-08-2015, 08:16 AM
Beaut photos Grinder

Grant Sprague
05-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Thank you Grinder so cool

Roger Dowding
05-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Grinder,
Your photos bring back so many memories to me of going to Pukekohe in 1967 and 1968.
The photos display how relaxed everyone was and how easy it was to get next to the cars and drivers.
The drivers I notice are; Denis Hulme, Richard Attwood, Pedro Rodriguez, Frank Gardner,
Bruce McLaren in a BRM, Roly Levis, Graeme Lawrence and sadly the last time we would see the great Jim Clark.

Great stuff Grinder. Thank you.

(Ken Hyndman )

Hey Guys, Ken Grinder and others, there would be many of us on TRS, including me that were there in '67-68 and on from there.
didn't start going to Pukekohe 'til 66 on a regular basis, 65, still at school, then working and a mate had a car so game on.
Great photos. thanks

GD66
05-08-2015, 08:46 AM
David Oxton in the Lexington jacket walking towards Denny.

khyndart in CA
05-10-2015, 08:32 AM
After seeing the wonderful photos taken by Grinder's father, I found that I had the programme from that day in 1964, when Bruce McLaren held off Denis Hulme after Jack Brabham had crashed out of the race at the Elbow Corner as we watched from the overlooking hill and Bruce became the first New Zealander to win their own Grand Prix. Jan. 11.1964.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0zDOS8mwk

(Brief YouTube video of the event)

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-13-2015, 11:39 PM
For the 1964 Tasman series, Bruce McLaren had developed a special Cooper known as the T70. As you can see by Gearbox Grinder's and other photos it was really a "low line " version compared to other race cars at that time. Bruce also had a young talented driver join him for the series , named Timmy Mayer. Timmy was managed by his brother Teddy Mayer who would remain with the McLaren Team for many years. Bruce had to put some test miles on the brand new car which had just been completed before they were shipped out to NZ for the first race at Levin. When they arrived Bruce used the oval part of the Western Springs track running in the clockwise direction on the banking for his testing !

(McLaren Trust photo)

(From 1964 Pukekohe NZGP programme )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Cooper T70 looks like it has been beautifully restored and you can read more about it at this site.

http://thejudge13.com/2014/12/15/f1-history-first-mclaren-car-discovered-at-the-geelong-revival-the-cooper-t70/

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-16-2015, 04:17 AM
January 11 th 1964.Pukekohe. NZGP.
I remember watching the race from the hill overlooking the Elbow Corner. About 1/2 way through the race there was a loud bang to the right and Jack Brabham's car hurtled past, luckily just missing the end of the stable, after tangling with Tony Shelly's Lotus. Jack was lucky to escape uninjured and parts of his car were lying around the track. Bruce was ahead of him at the time and the next lap he slowed down to check on Jack and then as he sped away he gave the "reverse Winston Churchill" V sign back at Jack as the crowd cheered. Bruce went on to a memorable win.
That is my distant memory of that race.

( K. Hyndman's "Box Brownie" photo of the first lap of 1964 NZGP as the field enters the Elbow Corner led by Timmy Mayer )

khyndart in CA
05-17-2015, 03:24 AM
Teddy Mayer.
After his brother Timmy died at Longford in 1964, Teddy Mayer, perhaps as a way to handle his grief, gave up his career as a lawyer in the States and came aboard with McLaren to provide much needed finance sources and manage the business side for Bruce. They teamed well together. They paid their top 2 mechanics 30 pounds a week which was a very good amount at that time ! The only sponsorship was from oil & tyre companies back then. Teddy and the others bravely carried on after Bruce died in 1970 and a lot of that credit must go to Mayer who kept the McLaren name through all the turmoil. (Imagine Lotus without Chapman or Tyrrell without Ken Tyrrell ). Teddy was also skilled at getting sponsorship e.g Yardley, Texaco, Gulf, Reynolds, Chesterfield, Marlboro etc. He may not have been the most popular" cat on the block" but he was the manager that kept the McLaren Team near the top.
I happened to see the team at the 1973 British Grand Prix (Silverstone )where they put 3 team cars on the first 3 rows of the grid which I do not think has been done before or since. Teddy, as manager, was even helping with the refueling of Peter Revson's M23 during practice. Imagine a manager doing that today ! But he also was shrewdly eying the opposition as you can see him looking at Emerson Fittipaldi and thinking I sure would like to have him on my team. Within a short period, Emerson had signed with McLaren away from Lotus for the 1974 season.
(Here are 2 of my photos of Teddy Mayer (in the red shirt, in action, Silverstone, July 1973 )

(Ken Hyndman photos )

Grant Sprague
05-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Thank you Ken , amazing how many photos must be lurking around out there , keep them rolling brother .........

khyndart in CA
05-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Back to Jan 11 1964. Pukekohe.
At the Grand Prix meets we were always treated to excellent motor cycle racing as can be seen from this field.

(Again note the prize money ..or lack of !)

(Ken Hyndman ..programme )

khyndart in CA
05-18-2015, 10:23 PM
1964 NZGP. Pukekohe.
Small saloon car field up to 1.6 Litre.

(Hyndman programme )

khyndart in CA
05-18-2015, 10:39 PM
29163291641964 NZGP. Jan. 1964.
Later the big boys came out for the open saloon car race. (Grant, I see Ernie was in a Zephyr # 113 next to our Morrinsville man, Spinner Black in # 114 ..perhaps we came close to meeting up that day when we went to see Spin ) (Or was that back when we did not associate with folks from the SI and it was only the power cable that stopped you guys from sinking ! LOL )
There were not many US powered vehicles back then. Some well known names in this field, including McRae in a Humber !

( Ken Hyndman..programme )

Grant Sprague
05-18-2015, 11:54 PM
29163291641964 NZGP. Jan. 1964.
Later the big boys came out for the open saloon car race. (Grant, I see Ernie was in a Zephyr # 113 next to our Morrinsville man, Spinner Black in # 114 ..perhaps we came close to meeting up that day when we went to see Spin ) (Or was that back when we did not associate with folks from the SI and it was only the power cable that stopped you guys from sinking ! LOL )
There were not many US powered vehicles back then. Some well known names in this field, including McRae in a Humber !

( Ken Hyndman..programme ) Hi Ken , yes there was always a strong rivalry between north & south , I guess that added to the fun ... a bit like aussie & nz........ hey I had never seen this puke saloon program before very interesting to still see the names carried on over the years, Ken yes we would have rubber sholders I was there at opening year, with Molly & Ernie ..well I think that was the year, Dad drove the mk3 up a bit of a road trip , didn't matter where we stopped people drawled over the green mk 3 I still remember Mum saying " gee I feel like we are monkeys in a cage"......on the way back south after the racing was over , Dad was being chased by a cop he did a quick exit [hard left] into a cockies paddock & ripped the sump over a cattle stop , Doc Langley must have been down that way & was repaired & way we went back to Timaru........... hey ummm thought B McLaren was in that race ???in mine cooper, might have been year after ??..ps [attcmt] did not come through.... ok mate talk soon all the best Grant

GD66
05-19-2015, 12:34 AM
Bruce McLaren was there in 1963. Ken's programme is from 1964.

khyndart in CA
05-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Pukekohe, Jan. 1964.
They had the race for NZ drivers only, although some of the top drivers e.g. Tony Shelly, Jim Palmer were saving up for the main race later. Roly Levis competed in both events, was he the winner of this race ?
I would like to see some pics of some of these cars, such as ; Jim Boyd's Valour, Jamie Aislabie's A.R.T. Special, Garth Taylor's Dynafour and R.Alder with a 500 cc T.S.R. ?

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-19-2015, 09:16 PM
Pukekohe. 1964.
The race before the start of the NZGP was the "Auckland Star" Sports Car Trophy Race. I think this is one of the first time in years that the Lycoming Special was not entered in the Grand Prix. What an amazing piece of Kiwi ingenuity.

(Ken Hyndman..programme )

khyndart in CA
05-19-2015, 09:24 PM
On the back page of the 1964 NZGP programme was this advertising.
( Note the prices )

Remember this ; On Monday 10 July 1967 ("Decimal Currency Day"), the New Zealand dollar was introduced to replace the pound at a rate of two dollars to one pound (one dollar to ten shillings, ten cents to one shilling, 5⁄6 cent to a penny).

__________________________________________________________________________________

Roger, They should have used you in the Triumph ad when the TR 4 A came out ! Great photo.

Roger Dowding driving his Triumph TR 4 A at the limit !

(p.s. Thanks for your comments )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-19-2015, 09:39 PM
How the Pukekohe Track looked in 1964.

(Ken Hyndman .. 1964 programme has now come to an end. The next one I have is 1969. Shall I continue ? )

Oldfart
05-19-2015, 11:45 PM
Shall you continue?
Is the Pope a Catholic? Do fish swim in the sea?

Grant Sprague
05-20-2015, 08:18 AM
ha ha .........Ken do u have program 1963.........does a beer sh.t in the woods

Roger Dowding
05-20-2015, 09:53 AM
ha ha .........Ken do u have program 1963.........does a beer sh.t in the woods

The Bear is flat !!, the beer is DB or Lion Red; Auckland , unless you live in Wellington ; Redband, Christchurch ; wtf, Hastings ; Leopard, Dunedin, Speights, Wairarapa ; Tui. Hamilton; Waikato. West Coast ; Monteiths..

GS, KH, seems to have everything, taken from Kiwitahi, to the US of A, we are so lucky.

Roger Dowding
05-20-2015, 10:03 AM
How the Pukekohe Track looked in 1964.

(Ken Hyndman .. 1964 programme has now come to an end. The next one I have is 1969. Shall I continue ? )

and a car from the previous Post..

Roger Dowding
05-21-2015, 07:55 AM
( Note the prices )

Remember this ; On Monday 10 July 1967 ("Decimal Currency Day"), the New Zealand dollar was introduced to replace the pound at a rate of two dollars to one pound (one dollar to ten shillings, ten cents to one shilling, 5⁄6 cent to a penny).

__________________________________________________________________________________

Roger, They should have used you in the Triumph ad when the TR 4 A came out ! Great photo.

(Ken Hyndman )

Ken, thanks for your comment, that photo, your version of it looks better than the one I have, can you sort them out, I just scan and attach.

khyndart in CA
05-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Roger,
I will give it a try.

Roger Dowding on the grid in his Triumph TR4 A. Pukekohe. 1980

Roger Dowding
05-21-2015, 09:35 AM
( Note the prices )

(Ken Hyndman )

My copy of a print of the photo,

where did you get yours, your photo ??

Roger Dowding
05-21-2015, 10:04 AM
Roger,
I will give it a try.

Roger Dowding on the grid in his Triumph TR4 A. Pukekohe. 1980

Ken, your a champion, the guy I am looking at was the President of the NZ TR Register, forgotten the name. the TR did a lot of sprints Hillclimbs in 1978 - 80, before i was involved in an accident, had just got some " mudgrip tyres " for the metal hillclimbs for the 80/81 season and went for a drive, going up Mount Atkinson, in Titirangi, Auckland quite slowly and a younger guy in a Cortina was on the downhill run, saw me hit the brakes and, of course lost all steering, So, into the right front of the TR.. no more racing for a while.
Had the car rebuilt, and was sold to help buy a house, the buyer was a Charles Matschek, from Portland Oregon, who lived in NZ with his Kiwi wife, well he went racing in it, Wings and Wheels at Whenuapai, Pukekohe Classics, and others fitted Dell'Ortos in place of the SU's which I had. last heard of in around 2006 the car was in Christchurch, unregistered under the licence plate DF4958.
If anybody knows where it is now, would love to find out.

Roger Dowding
05-25-2015, 02:47 AM
Ken, your a champion, the guy I am looking at was the President of the NZ TR Register, forgotten the name. the TR did a lot of sprints Hillclimbs in 1978 - 80, before i was involved in an accident, had just got some " mudgrip tyres " for the metal hillclimbs for the 80/81 season and went for a drive, going up Mount Atkinson, in Titirangi, Auckland quite slowly and a younger guy in a Cortina was on the downhill run, saw me hit the brakes and, of course lost all steering, So, into the right front of the TR.. no more racing for a while.
Had the car rebuilt, and was sold to help buy a house, the buyer was a Charles Matschek, from Portland Oregon, who lived in NZ with his Kiwi wife, well he went racing in it, Wings and Wheels at Whenuapai, Pukekohe Classics, and others fitted Dell'Ortos in place of the SU's which I had. last heard of in around 2006 the car was in Christchurch, unregistered under the licence plate DF4958.
If anybody knows where it is now, would love to find out.

Here is the car at Bright Road 1979 Bardahl Series . again Ross Cammick photo.

John Hatton, raced a Ford Zepthyr at Pukekohe in the Auckland Car Club Autumn meeting 4th April 1964, had the program to be given away.
It is now in my hands along with a MotorAction 19th April 1974, and the Auckland Car Club 75th Anniversary Book 1932 - 2007.
with many contributions from Ross Cammick, Kevin Lancaster and Milan Fistonic.
Thanks to John,and will scan and post some information from them when I return to Queensland

John H
05-25-2015, 03:33 AM
Hi Roger. Love the sideways photos of your blue Triumph. Pleased those books went to a good home. Take care.. :)

khyndart in CA
05-31-2015, 12:53 AM
Towards the end of 1964 McLaren built the first M1 sports car and painted it in NZ colours of Black & Silver. I think I spent the rest of my high school days trying to draw sports car pictures.( it was a beautiful machine built in mediocre shop conditions that we would just shake our heads and wonder how did he do that ! )I even offered free art to any girl that would help me with my homework ! My teachers got sick of opening my school books to see this stuff ! I thought I could be a car designer without being any good at math. I even wrote to the GM design school in Detroit. (Never heard back ! ) I thought if McLaren could do it then I could dream of building my own" Apollo" sports car.

Hyndman's dreaming and sketching from the 1960,s.

After a day at Pukekohe. 1966.

Detroit, please let me in !

(My "Apollo GT"..the fastest road car in the world. (1967)

(Ken Hyndman.. the ultimate dreamer !)

The McLaren M1 _Oldsmobile that was my dream car.

Roger Dowding
05-31-2015, 05:19 AM
Towards the end of 1964 McLaren built the first M1 sports car and painted it in NZ colours of Black & Silver. I think I spent the rest of my high school days trying to draw sports car pictures.( it was a beautiful machine built in mediocre shop conditions that we would just shake our heads and wonder how did he do that ! )I even offered free art to any girl that would help me with my homework ! My teachers got sick of opening my school books to see this stuff ! I thought I could be a car designer without being any good at math. I even wrote to the GM design school in Detroit. (Never heard back ! ) I thought if McLaren could do it then I could dream of building my own" Apollo" sports car.

Hyndman's dreaming and sketching from the 1960,s.

After a day at Pukekohe. 1966.

Detroit, please let me in !

(My "Apollo"..the fastest road car in the world. (1967)

(Ken Hyndman.. the ultimate dreamer !)

The McLaren M1 _Oldsmobile that was my dream car.

Wasn't that originally Roger Penske's Zerex Special with a 2.7 litre Climax Motor, ??

Michael Clark
05-31-2015, 07:49 AM
Ken, was the convertible a front or mid-engine?

khyndart in CA
05-31-2015, 07:54 AM
Roger,
The Zerex Special became the Cooper-Oldsmobile 3.5 litre.
The McLaren - Oldsmobile Mark 1 was introduced in September 1964 and had a Traco built 4.5 litre V8 in it.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-31-2015, 08:34 PM
Michael,
I had it as a rear engine with a front radiator and a backup air cooled system for any emergency if a hose blew.
Also had a detached hardtop that incorporated a roof spoiler as I thought the down force would be better in front of the rear axle so it would handle better at high speed and not be too light in the front. Made it look like a shark fin from the side but you could drive to the track in a convertible and then install the roll bar and the roof and away you go. Remember this was me doodling in school books 50 years ago ! 1965. (Please do not laugh )

( Ken Hyndman )

Noo Noo
06-02-2015, 10:47 AM

Excuse my ignorance, but what was a De Joux ? ( I have since found what the De Joux was. )
Was this the converted 1951 Ferrari 375 that was built into a sedan by DeJoux and then later
converted back into a single seater and then owned by Bernie Ecclestone ?
Or did he race his Holden Special in this race ?

(Ken Hyndman )

In 1977 I bought this 1948 Riley RMB for a restoration project. Cost me $600 and other than a couple of small dents and a bit of rotten wood framing it was in pretty good order. However other activities took precedent and in 1985 I got sick of it taking up garage space and started thinking about getting rid of it.
At around the same time up north of Auckland, a bloke named Jim Welch had returned to NZ after many years living overseas and wrote an article for the NZ Riley Club magazine reminiscing about racing the Riley he owned from 1955 to 1960, finishing by saying that if the car still existed he would dearly like to have it back.
Well, it did and I owned it. Long story short, Jim tracked the car and me to Masterton where we living at the time, did a deal over the phone, came down to collect it and the last I saw of it was on an A frame going out our drive. That was after Jim told me he was going to restore it to take out the concours at the 1986 Riley national convention.
He also told me about racing it at the Grand Prix meetings, at Ohakea and other venues. So, looking at the above, No 108 J. Welch would be him. He raced in good company - Bruce McLaren, Red Dawson, John Riley etc. I never knew the car had such good credentials.

David Hunter

Noo Noo
06-02-2015, 10:55 AM
I'm referring to attachment 28143 - Saloon Car Handicap over 1500cc.

David

Grant Sprague
06-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Ken I am not laughing , most of us boys did this at school , I use to draw up F1! suspensions etc...plus the chassis.. I have them still , if I can get [ask ] Mike to put up here I will show you, my prob was I could not draw like you I was not arty enough.. so mainly straight lines with ruler...... my 3 daughters &wife can draw art very good at this type of thing , ok touch base later..... take care mate Grant

khyndart in CA
06-06-2015, 05:56 AM

Pukekohe. Jan. 9 th 1965
( I do not have a programme from this event or from 1966, 1967, 1968 due to many factors including; they had been lost, spilt beer damage, gave them away, travelled overseas etc,etc...so if anyone has one and wants to fill in the different event entries etc please feel free. )
After the grand event of the previous year we were anxious to see Bruce McLaren beat the opposition once again. He had Phil Hill for a team mate and their Coopers were trying to be competitive on new 15 inch Firestone tyres which Bruce had to use when the cars had been designed to run on 13 inch tyres. They struggled in the morning heat races when Hill's Cooper went off approaching the hairpin and Bruce was lucky when his car spun, clipped an ambulance and ended in the creek at the esses. For the Grand Prix, Bruce borrowed Phil Hill's Cooper # 48.(His previous year winning car). He started well and was behind Jim Clark as we watched come round the Elbow Corner on lap 2 and I remember the track announcer saying " I see why they call Jimmy Clark the Flying Scotsman " as they went down the back straight and then there was silence as I think Bruce's Cooper had the same problem as Phil had earlier and did not stop as it should have and ran into the back of Jim Clark's Lotus at the entrance to the hairpin. It was such a shame to have the two top drivers out before the race had barely begun. Later my friend and I were standing opposite the pits and just as the photo shows, Colin Chapman was not looking pleased. They had come a long way and wanted to put on a good show for the crowd. Graham Hill took advantage of the situation and drove his Brabham to win the race.

(Photos from the Bruce Sergent collection )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_kcJiqO8c

( Ken Hyndman )

Ross
06-07-2015, 07:37 AM
29435Some real history in this thread.
Great to see copies of the old Ardmore and Pukekohe programs.
The race entrants show many of the unsung hero's of our sport who competed in these major events without a chance of placing against the stars.

The following images from an early race meeting at Levin may bring back memories for some readers.
Note the entrants

Ross
06-07-2015, 07:40 AM
Looks like the other image didn't,t up load. Second attempt.

khyndart in CA
06-16-2015, 07:43 AM
1966 Tasman racing.
This was the first time in almost 10 years that Bruce McLaren did not participate in the NZ season as he was occupied with getting his own team established back in England.
This is a Youtube clip of a mix of races in Australia during the 1966 Tasman series.
Note how the public could get close to the drivers etc.
(I went to the 1999 Canadian F1 race in Montreal and arranged to meet up with Patrick Head etc, only to find out that you could not get within a mile of the pit area !.)
We certainly had it good back in the sixties with the quality of drivers and great atmosphere etc. Little did we realize that it was not to last for much longer.
(Ken Hyndman )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0354bKdutu8

khyndart in CA
06-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Just to warn you that this kiwi from Los Olivos is making a quick trip back for a funeral and family gathering tomorrow and staying a few short days.
I might try to find some more old "shoe box" photos etc.
Better put the kettle on Grant, I might come knocking on the door.
Cheers,
Ken

Grant Sprague
06-22-2015, 07:27 AM
Hi Ya Ken .... would be great to see you .. just a wee problem , I am heading to South Island for a few days but back in town Sat morn ????????? how would that work ?

khyndart in CA
06-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Grant, we go back on Monday the 29th. We must make it happen. I will contact you Saturday. Ok ?

Grant Sprague
06-22-2015, 08:10 AM
:D

Grant Sprague
06-27-2015, 07:41 AM
I met up with Ken ..today a short fast visit..
both him & I on a mission .. so time a bit limited we had a great time regardless....found a photo of Gary,s escort with MUMBER plate on it , also a photo of Ralf E , JR, FE, and Brian Crosbie together . at Levels .., Ken has the piks & will post when he gets back to USA...... ps Ken really cool to have met you & your beautiful wife ...might catch up in a year or two yr end ...... Grant & Kylie

khyndart in CA
07-11-2015, 04:19 AM
Jan 7 1967. NZGP. Pukekohe.
I remember piling into a Mini and heading to Pukekohe with some friends. My sister said we looked like a bunch of monkeys as we sped past her and her policeman husband ! (Whoops !) Anyway we spent most of the day on the infield and remember enjoying the battle for the lead between Jackie Stewart in his BRM P261 and Jim Clark in his Lotus 33. Clark's Lotus came around on the last laps with the nose missing from a collision with a slower car. Good memories. I got in close at the prize giving ceremony with my "Brownie" camera and even though the quality is no good it does show Jackie Stewart with short hair and the winner's trophy and also a casual Jim Clark.

(Ken Hyndman photos )

(Jackie Stewart, winner in BRM P261 )
(Jim Clark, 2nd in NZGP. Lotus 33 )

(Photos from my scrapbook..probably J. Inwood photos)

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
07-17-2015, 07:24 AM
Pukekohe. Jan. 6 th 1968. NZGP
I was amongst the crowd of 40 thousand that watched without realizing at the time that this was the last time we would see both Jim Clark and Bruce McLaren drive at a NZGP.
Clark drove his Lotus 49 for one of the last times in the original green and yellow Lotus colours before getting sponsorship from Gold Leaf cigarettes company and repainted 2 weeks later for the Lady Wigram race.

( Ken Hyndman..scrapbook )

Grant Sprague
07-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Beaut piks Ken don't be shy please keep them coming , I have a photo of Jim some where never seen before I will try & find it & get it up here ..... regards to u both G & K

khyndart in CA
07-18-2015, 02:11 AM
Pukekohe. 1968 NZGP.
Towards the end of the GP there was a tremendous crash between Denis Hulme and Laurence Brownlie in their Brabhams. They were both lucky to survive but Laurence suffered serious ankle injuries.
I have had this cutting which is ironic in that it shows Laurence Brownlie waiting beside his Brabham # 20 as Denis Hulme was being presented an award for being the 1967 Formula One World Champion before the start of the NZGP.
Peter Yock's white Lotus -BRM # 10 is being pushed to the start grid also.

(Ken Hyndman scrapbook )

p.s. who is the driver standing behind Brownlee with the brown cap on ?

Michael Clark
07-18-2015, 11:15 AM
In the background is the gold BT18 of Roly Levis. Roly had sold the car to a Christchurch car dealer (Tony Shaw) but took over the driving

Roger Dowding
07-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Motorsport yearbooks from the 1960's that I have in my collection. must re-read as will answer a few questions.

Roger Dowding
07-19-2015, 07:13 AM
A couple more ;

khyndart in CA
07-19-2015, 08:05 AM
As you can see Laurence Brownlee had talent even though racing on a limited budget. He qualified ahead of Levis, Lawrence, Faloon etc and a promising future was ruined by the late race crash with Hulme.
p.s. Did I read somewhere that Denis Hulme was not wearing seat belts when this crash happened and he got thrown out on the track ?
Wow..

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
07-19-2015, 08:10 AM
Tasman racing 1968.
Jim Clark and Chris Amon had wonderful battles on the track in both NZ and Australia in 1968.
Here is a typical scene from the Tasman race at Sandown Park.

(Ken Hyndman..scrapbook.. Autosport )

khyndart in CA
07-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Tasman racing 1968.
Here are scenes of the Tasman racing from the Australian races from YouTube.
The last races for the great Jimmy Clark. I can still remember hearing the news of his death in April 1968 on the radio and finding it hard to believe. He was a true champion who could win driving anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMVa38yQoDU

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Sprague
07-20-2015, 01:19 AM
Tasman racing 1968.
Here are scenes of the Tasman racing from the Australian races from YouTube.
The last races for the great Jimmy Clark. I can still remember hearing the news of his death in April 1968 on the radio and finding it hard to believe. He was a true champion who could win driving anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMVa38yQoDU

(Ken Hyndman ) I would have to agree Ken , was a gentleman as well...I have watched some footage re his racing career etc....... Roly also told me a lot about him.......I also remember the day Dad came into my bedroom early one morning saying " Grant your mate just got killed" as I use to follow him Ernie had bought me a photographed print of him at Indianapolis also a metal model of his car ..the lotus.

Grant Sprague
07-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Ken, Allen Dick did an article a yr or two ago re that accident...it was not very welcomed by Gretta Hulme the way it was printed as Dennis could not voice his side of the story.... Roly did tell me about this but will say no more on that .. but think it was sorted ........ Laurence even to this day struggles with this , he lives in the south island & is pretty big into art.....a really humble man .....

Roger Dowding
07-20-2015, 04:19 AM
( Note the prices )

(Ken Hyndman )

The TR4A, some notes should have been from the attached Manual to improve performance - a British Leyland production as is a reprint from 1977, Original issued in 1965.

Roger Dowding
07-20-2015, 04:30 AM
Auckland Car Club, established in 1932, celebrated its 75th Anniversary in 2007 with a very good Special Issue magazine. In 1972 they published a bigger edition of their Bulletin - December issue to celebrate 40 years. Have copies of both [ 75th Thanks to John H of TRS ] and this one the 40th, which I got at the time .

khyndart in CA
07-20-2015, 06:29 AM
Roger,
I found this Triumph ad in the 1965 Wills Six Hour race programme and thought you may be interested.
(note the prices in Sterling Funds !)
That must have made it hard for an average income earner to get a new car. I think my Dad would put away overseas funds when the wool sold from the farm and then spend it on quarry equipment much to Mum's disgust / disappointment !

(Ken Hyndman )

Roger Dowding
07-20-2015, 07:41 AM
Roger,
I found this Triumph ad in the 1965 Wills Six Hour race programme and thought you may be interested.
(note the prices in Sterling Funds !)
That must have made it hard for an average income earner to get a new car. I think my Dad would put away overseas funds when the wool sold from the farm and then spend it on quarry equipment much to Mum's disgust / disappointment !

(Ken Hyndman )

Ken, thanks.
Interesting about the Overseas Funds, remember the first " New Car " my father got a 1963 Ford Zephyr 6, he got because the company he worked for " Briscoe and Company " the original Briscoes, Importers and Ironmongers had ordered the car for a Sale rep and then didn't need it, so was offerd to Mac Dowding at a fair price. the note at the bottom right of the ad. Sterling Funds from Pounds 711 ..
My TR4A was 10 years old when I bought it from Russ Abbott, Empire Motors, who was a force in Triumph Car Club, ran a Dolomite in Heatway and other Rallies and Race meetings - the TR4A was complete, mechanically sound but had a tough life, competed in it for nearly three years - early 1978 -79 - 80, Was getting it ready for 1980/81 season when had a road accident and it was off the road for over 3 years, rebuilt then sold to help buy a house [ wrong priority in hindsight ], as once rebuilt a very nice car - had a 53 Healey 100, very scruffy should have sold that !!

GD66
07-20-2015, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the dig in the ribs Roger, I had all three of those annuals. Do you remember the Motorsport 66 annual had the cover photo printed in reverse ? See the Zephyr Corvette has the wheel on the wrong side...
Bloody trainspotters...

Roger Dowding
07-20-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the dig in the ribs Roger, I had all three of those annuals. Do you remember the Motorsport 66 annual had the cover photo printed in reverse ? See the Zephyr Corvette has the wheel on the wrong side...
Bloody trainspotters...

GD66, no dig intended and I think I had forgotten that - Rod Coppins still drove it well, whichever side the wheel was on.
according to some inside shots this is when the fuel injection was fitted and had the chrome scoop on the bonnet. amused me that the exhaust pipes were not all the same length ..maybe they ran out of chrome tubing .. look at the drivers side 3 long, one short, other side 4 long ..
Trainspotting indeed..

GD66
07-20-2015, 09:39 AM
Pukekohe. 1968 NZGP.Towards the end of the GP there was a tremendous crash between Denis Hulme and Laurence Brownlie in their Brabhams. They were both lucky to survive but Laurence suffered serious ankle injuries.

Sorry, I can't recall where this pic turned up from but it must be only a couple of seconds before that crash, Denny is already looking at Brownlie and seemingly closing from behind. There was a lot of conjecture about the crash and not much favourable comment but while Allan Dick may not mince his words he is also not a bullshitter so he wouldn't have printed anything too distorted in my opinion.

Roger Dowding
07-20-2015, 10:10 AM

GD66, article from the " 30 years of Grand Prix Racing, again ..
Have read a few comments [ this one is non-committal for either driver ]

John H
07-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Sorry, I can't recall where this pic turned up from but it must be only a couple of seconds before that crash, Denny is already looking at Brownlie and seemingly closing from behind. There was a lot of conjecture about the crash and not much favourable comment but while Allan Dick may not mince his words he is also not a bullshitter so he wouldn't have printed anything too distorted in my opinion.
Hi. I was on the railway at this moment. Hulme had shaken his fist coming past the pits (yes it could be seen from where we were) and just prior to this photo had just thumped Brownlie with his left front wheel quite hard. At this very point both cars were quite unsettled and then shot on down the straight to tangle further on with body panels, wheels and dirt flying high in the air.