PDA

View Full Version : Bruce McLaren

Steve Holmes
07-06-2011, 01:30 AM

Every year, on the 30th of August, I become one year older. I share my birthday with people such as Cameron Diaz, and Warren Buffett. But, more importantly, I share my birthday with my fellow countryman, and hero, Bruce McLaren.

I was only a teenager when I became fascinated by McLaren. I’d never seen him race, in fact, he was killed before I was even born. But I read a lot of old car magazines when I was young, and was always fascinated by this young Kiwi, taking on the world, driving cars of his own name, which he’d designed, and built with his own hands. It wasn’t until I lived in the UK that I truly understood the impact McLaren had had on the racing world, and the high regard in which his name is held internationally.

I’ve read several books written about Bruce McLaren, but the one I enjoyed most was the small autobiography he wrote himself, called Bruce McLaren. From The Cockpit, which was first released 1964, just as he was on the cusp of heading out on his own to start his own race team, under his own name. The last paragraph in the book has the small description that would eventually describe his own fate, even though it was meant for his team mate at the time, American Timmy Mayer: “To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

Several years ago, when I was trying to get accepted into the British Guild of Motoring Artists, I was required to do a portrait painting as part of my test. So, of course, my subject matter was Bruce McLaren. It’s the only portrait I’ve ever attempted.

Had McLaren not been killed at Goodwood in 1970, he’d be 73 now. And I sometimes wonder what he’d think of the fascination we enthusiasts have for him and his race cars, and his legacy. He was a forward thinker, an engineer, always looking for the next big thing, the next breakthrough. Would he be interested in his past, or would he still be looking to the future, designing, tinkering, and building something bigger and better?

Bruce McLaren had so many talents, as a driver, and a designer, but perhaps his biggest natural gift lay in his people-skills, his ability to motivate those around him, to believe in the cause enough that they’d forego almost everything outside of his race team to please him.

Bruce McLarens light certainly shone brightly, if all too briefly.

nigel watts
07-06-2011, 04:31 AM
I've just finished reading Phil Kerr's book "To finish first" which covers his years with Jack Brabham and then Bruce McLaren & the McLaren Team. It's a very good read. I also think that John Britten of the Britten Motorcycle fame was another out of the McLaren mould. You can't help wondering what additional greatness they would have achieved if they had survived for a full life span.

Murray Maunder
07-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Hi Steve,

I remember the day Bruce died when I was a 15 year old with the radio on in the kitchen before school. It hit me like my best friend had died, unbelievable, people like him don't make fatal mistakes. My best couple of mates and I used to scrape enough money to buy Motorman by Donn Anderson and I'd scratch build 1/32 and 1/24 slot cars, most passionately CanAm McLarens (never did get the orange right). Bruce was the centre of the universe as far as NZ motorsport fans were concerned in the 60s and until that day in June 1970.

More than 10 years ago I met Bruce's sister Jan at an early Bruce McLaren Trust display in Te Puke. Greta Hulme had driven Denny's beautiful M23 up from Rotorua (on a trailer!) and I joined the supporters club that day. The Trust was formed to preserve Bruce's awesome legacy to motorsport. His colossal achievements predated but at least equalled our America's Cup yachting achievements. CanAm was the richest roadracing series in the world and Kiwis were cleaning it up, thanks to the vision and leadership of Bruce McLaren. And so it was, about 1999, as a full-time video and television cameraman/editor/producer I offered to document the Trust's projects and events and assist with that part of the archiving with future projects in mind. One of the main projects has been over a decade of filming of the reconstruction of the Trust's M8A CanAm car. Starting with a "basket case" which had been donated to Denny from Goodyear and almost lost in a landfill, this is now an object of exquisite beauty. If you were breathing sports racing cars in 1968 this represented one of the pinnacles of the genre. Denny Hulme won the first of his 3 CanAm titles in this very car and it is the only one in existence and will always be so.

The bodywork was completed about 18 months ago after a huge struggle getting all the "forensic evidence" together to make the moulds. The rolling chassis just needs a complete 7 litre Chevrolet engine and it will be ready for track demonstrations. We continue to hope it will be "this year"! Duncan Fox and Tony Roberts will hopefully one day also complete their other CanAm McLaren, the high-wing M8B which (along with it's sister B) won all eleven rounds of the championship in 1969.

One day not too distant I will produce the M8 story for DVD, hopefully incorporating the car in the USA at a historic meeting and some of the old American drivers of the era. There is already a preview of things to come on the Festival of Motor Racing DVD.

Incidentally, talking to Jan McLaren today, the portrait you did of Bruce above sits in the Trust's Remuera offices (the old McLaren garage and home above). Jan said you put it on display at one of their events and when they packed up you were gone. I'm sure it's in good hands as Jan absolutely loves the pensive mood you caught Bruce in.

Thanks Steve for all the work you have put into this site, not just getting it off the ground which must have been immense in itself, but the incredible amount of activity, photos etc you continue to feed into it. Brilliant forum.

Rod Grimwood
07-06-2011, 05:17 AM
Steve that is a magnificent portrait, and I would like to repeat all that Murray has said about your work and the site.
I was just about 19 when I heard the news that Bruce McLaren had died form the accident, and it was a shock, as i believe most of us young fellas back then looked up to and wanted to be like Bruce McLaren.

David McKinney
07-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I also recall the shock of Bruce's death (even though I was no longer a teenager). Like Jim Clark two years earlier, Bruce was someone you just knew wouldn't be killed in a racing car

We have to be eternally thankful that Ron Dennis (and co) made the decision to keep the name alive on cars that have remained at (or near) the top of the F1 tree ever since

Leo D
07-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I think this is well worth watching for any fan of Bruce McLaren.....

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/trio-at-the-top-2001

Denny Hulme and Chris Amon also feature..... It's a documentary posted in several parts.

Steve Holmes
07-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Hi Steve,

I remember the day Bruce died when I was a 15 year old with the radio on in the kitchen before school. It hit me like my best friend had died, unbelievable, people like him don't make fatal mistakes. My best couple of mates and I used to scrape enough money to buy Motorman by Donn Anderson and I'd scratch build 1/32 and 1/24 slot cars, most passionately CanAm McLarens (never did get the orange right). Bruce was the centre of the universe as far as NZ motorsport fans were concerned in the 60s and until that day in June 1970.

More than 10 years ago I met Bruce's sister Jan at an early Bruce McLaren Trust display in Te Puke. Greta Hulme had driven Denny's beautiful M23 up from Rotorua (on a trailer!) and I joined the supporters club that day. The Trust was formed to preserve Bruce's awesome legacy to motorsport. His colossal achievements predated but at least equalled our America's Cup yachting achievements. CanAm was the richest roadracing series in the world and Kiwis were cleaning it up, thanks to the vision and leadership of Bruce McLaren. And so it was, about 1999, as a full-time video and television cameraman/editor/producer I offered to document the Trust's projects and events and assist with that part of the archiving with future projects in mind. One of the main projects has been over a decade of filming of the reconstruction of the Trust's M8A CanAm car. Starting with a "basket case" which had been donated to Denny from Goodyear and almost lost in a landfill, this is now an object of exquisite beauty. If you were breathing sports racing cars in 1968 this represented one of the pinnacles of the genre. Denny Hulme won the first of his 3 CanAm titles in this very car and it is the only one in existence and will always be so.

The bodywork was completed about 18 months ago after a huge struggle getting all the "forensic evidence" together to make the moulds. The rolling chassis just needs a complete 7 litre Chevrolet engine and it will be ready for track demonstrations. We continue to hope it will be "this year"! Duncan Fox and Tony Roberts will hopefully one day also complete their other CanAm McLaren, the high-wing M8B which (along with it's sister B) won all eleven rounds of the championship in 1969.

One day not too distant I will produce the M8 story for DVD, hopefully incorporating the car in the USA at a historic meeting and some of the old American drivers of the era. There is already a preview of things to come on the Festival of Motor Racing DVD.

Incidentally, talking to Jan McLaren today, the portrait you did of Bruce above sits in the Trust's Remuera offices (the old McLaren garage and home above). Jan said you put it on display at one of their events and when they packed up you were gone. I'm sure it's in good hands as Jan absolutely loves the pensive mood you caught Bruce in.

Thanks Steve for all the work you have put into this site, not just getting it off the ground which must have been immense in itself, but the incredible amount of activity, photos etc you continue to feed into it. Brilliant forum.

Hey thanks for that Murray. Your documentary sounds great. I'll be looking forward to that.

Yes thats correct, I think I was at a historic event at Ruapuna and I loaned that portrait to Jan for a display the trust had there and they still have it on long term loan. I haven't seen it at the trust, but Jan has said she enjoys having it there, and having Bruce keep an eye on things.

Steve Holmes
07-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I think this is well worth watching for any fan of Bruce McLaren.....

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/trio-at-the-top-2001

Denny Hulme and Chris Amon also feature..... It's a documentary posted in several parts.

Thanks Leo. That was screened on tv a couple of years ago from memory. Excellent documentary as you say.

Steve Holmes
07-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Here Bruce explains the layout at Mosport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNavoYNMltY

RogerH
07-06-2011, 09:21 PM
A photo of Bruce probably not seen before. Taken by Brad Ward in 1960 - Brad was a Kiwi race mechanic who worked for Graham Warner (of The Chequered Flag fame) in 1959 and 1960. As well as being race mechanic for Warner's Lotus Elite LOV 1, Brad helped build the first Gemini race cars - two of the cars he built in 1960 now reside in NZ. Brad sadly died late last month but has left a legacy of a fantastic photo collection from his UK and European motor racing adventures.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/797/dia0094.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/dia0094.jpg/)

Steve Holmes
07-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Roger, that is an amazing photo! Have you shown this to Jan McLaren?

RogerH
07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Yes Steve, I sent it through to the McLaren Trust when I converted Brad's slides to digital format. Without wanting to ambush this thread on Bruce here are a couple more shots from Brad of Jack Brabham, Stirling Moss and Jim Clark in his first ever single seater drive (Gemini Mk2 BMC, Brands Hatch, Boxing Day 1959).

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4972/dia0105.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/dia0105.jpg/)

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/9646/dia0103a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/dia0103a.jpg/)

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/3551/clgeminibh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/clgeminibh.jpg/)

Chris
07-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Amazing photos, thanks for sharing :)

Murray Maunder
07-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Hey Roger, thanks to you and Brad. Terrific photos. The one of Bruce in the Cooper reminds us of how young he was when he started driving for Cooper. Mature beyond his years too, obviously, to exhaust more than a lifetime of achievement by the age of 30. Phew! That's big - GP winner as a driver, CanAm champion, LeMans winner, F1, CanAm and Indy constructor. As Howden Ganley told me "if Bruce told us in the factory that we were going to walk across the Sahara everyone would have said OK let's go".

In many ways Bruce the race driver was overshadowed by his leadership achievements and the area of his influence. By his mid-twenties he personally new the chiefs of US corporations Ford, GM, Goodyear, Reynolds, Gulf Oil and could walk into their boardrooms. A long way from a bed in a "crippled children's home" in Auckland, New Zealand. I still consider it a disgrace that his name isn't regarded by New Zealanders on the same level as Sir Edmund Hillary, a truly great Kiwi, but also one we can admire as a human being.

Steve Holmes
07-07-2011, 03:31 AM
RogerH, those are beautiful photos, and the quality is amazing. The shot of Brabham looks like it could have been taken yesterday.

RogerH
07-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Instead of putting some of Brad's photos on the Bruce McLaren thread, I'll start a new thread.

Steve Holmes
07-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Yeah thats a great idea Roger.

nigel watts
07-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Fantastic historic photos - looking forward to seeing some more
Cheers

beowulf
07-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I've just finished reading Phil Kerr's book "To finish first" which covers his years with Jack Brabham and then Bruce McLaren & the McLaren Team. It's a very good read. I also think that John Britten of the Britten Motorcycle fame was another out of the McLaren mould. You can't help wondering what additional greatness they would have achieved if they had survived for a full life span.

New Zealand has been pretty unlucky, we have lost some amazing people just when thay were starting to really produce. Bruce Mclaren, John Britten, Peter Blake and Possum Bourne come to mind.

Chris Kitzen
07-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Absolutely awesome photos!

CUSTAXIE50
02-13-2012, 03:48 AM
I was talking to Bruces sister a number of years ago at manfeild ,and i said when i go to Tepuke Dennys head stone tells you what he did in motor racing, but when i go to auckland Bruces head stone only has his name it does not tell you what he did with his life and what he did in motor racing putting nz on the map .I did say it would be good to see something put up there for all to see maybe they have ,i have not been to auckland for a number of years so do not know--maybe you do.

seaqnmac27
02-13-2012, 09:43 PM
have you seen this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqzuUe5xdWM&list=UUzpxlnqnNpaN4qgO742bt5Q&feature=plcp

David McKinney
02-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Don't think I'd seen that before. Marred, as all Neville Hay commentaries tend to be, by factual inaccuracies and his tortured English

I thought Denny came over really well

seaqnmac27
02-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I agree David, Neville Hay can be a bit irritating, my partner tends to walk out of the house when I start telling the TV that Neville is wrong! But there are some real gems in that Golden Age series including one titled Kling Wharton Whitehead and Walker check out the videos this guy has posted http://www.youtube.com/user/motorsport There is the Lotus story Gt40 story XJS story and numerous others.

Murray Maunder
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
Was that Denny interview at the 1992 Bathurst 1000 just before his death? Some terrific moments in that film even if the overall effect is grating with some dreadful scriptwriting on display. Bruce is consistently painted as the great guy he obviously was.

Steve Holmes
03-19-2012, 05:39 AM
With Jenson Button having won in Melbourne, watching the podium ceremony, it got me thinking, has the McLaren team constructors national anthem ever been an NZ anthem, or have they always used the British anthem from the time they won their first F1 race in 1968?

pallmall
03-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Always the English? national anthem, I guess you could call it the British national anthem at the risk of upsetting the Welsh, Scots, and Ulstermen. Although England hasn't really got a national anthem has it, just God Save the (reigning monarch).
The cars have always been built in England, not in NZ.

stubuchanan
03-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Always the English? national anthem, I guess you could call it the British national anthem at the risk of upsetting the Welsh, Scots, and Ulstermen. Although England hasn't really got a national anthem has it, just God Save the (reigning monarch).

Did Denny or Bruce ever get the "God Defend..." after winning a World Championship GP, or were we still using "God Save the Queen" then.

Steve Holmes
03-19-2012, 09:41 AM

Er, yeah, before my English partner Helen reads this, I should correct that and say the English national anthem. But McLaren is considered a British team. Yet it was started, according to Bruce's book From The Cockpit, with Bruce, Patricia, and Eoin Young as directors, although they were based in England. They had a small team of people from around the world working for them, there were Kiwi images on the sides of the cars, so I wondered what nationality they considered the team.

Shano
03-19-2012, 09:41 AM
New Zealand has two national anthems - God Save the Queen and God Defend New Zealand. During the Bruce and Denny Years, God Save the Queen was used, but in more recent years we've tended to use GDNZ because it's more Kiwi while GSTQ is distinctly English.

David McKinney
03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
At the time that Bruce and Denny were racing, I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying "God Save the Queen" was the NZ national anthem, and "God Defend NZ" known as the national song

Wal Will
03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
It was a New Zealand team for a short while, Bruce, Patty, Eoin Young, and myself. Then along came the Americans, Teddy Mayer and Tyler Alexander. Very soon it was multi National with Poms joining the group. The first car being painted Black and Silver - for a while - until Teddy Mayer decided it was too inconspicuous and off his own bat had it painted a sort of brick red.

GD66
03-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Don't wish to divert, but Wally could you give us a rough idea what size the workforce was when McLaren were contesting F1, Can-Am and Indy programmes together ? It's just that these days you hear figures of between 900 and 1000 people involved in the McLaren F1 programme, so I've always wondered at the relative team sizes, then and now.

Wal Will
03-19-2012, 08:37 PM
Sorry 'GD' but I left in '68' - pre Indy - but at that stage we were running F1, F2,and Can-Am. From just the 4 of us at the begining, the team count was then about 25 (give or take a few).
I often think back to the days at Coopers when there were 3 of us mechanics for 2 cars, and that was from build to race track (anywhere in Europe). A few years back when there was refueling and tires at a pit stop, there were 25 over the pit wall.

Shano
03-19-2012, 10:28 PM
At the time that Bruce and Denny were racing, I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying "God Save the Queen" was the NZ national anthem, and "God Defend NZ" known as the national song

That's how I remember it too, when I was at school in the 60s and 70s. Sorry for the hijack, normal McLaren programming resumes.

GD66
03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Sorry 'GD' but I left in '68' - pre Indy - but at that stage we were running F1, F2,and Can-Am. From just the 4 of us at the begining, the team count was then about 25 (give or take a few).

Thanks Wal. To repeat myself, we're stoked to have you on here : all the best for the final stages of the build. As an aside, Leo Wybrott is racing an M4A here in Perth, might have to give him a nudge to peep in...

bry3500
08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Bruce would have turned 75 yesterday

beowulf
09-01-2012, 09:02 PM

Fifty years ago this year. Bruce won the Monaco GP for Cooper.
I was part of a large group of Kiwis who was there this year with the McLaren Trust. It was a great tour and a real eyeopener as to the respect that Bruce, Denny, Chris, Howden and all the N.Z'rs who worked in the motor racing industry are held. We were very warmly welcomed wherever we went.

bry3500
09-02-2012, 12:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plCZVhVT-KE

bry3500
09-02-2012, 12:19 AM
"On June 2 2010, the 40th anniversary of Bruce's passing, they held a minute's silence at the McLaren factory. And then, like the racers they are, they fired up the 7.5 litre Chevorlet V8 in one of those glorious orange elephants that Bruce and Denny loved so much, a M8D, and revved it hard for a minute. And somewhere very hallowed, where the spirits of the good guys go, Bruce and Denny would have been laughing their heads off in approval of the men who continue to carry their flame."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5xPW2Wg1i4&feature=related

Steve Holmes
09-02-2012, 11:29 PM

Thanks Bry, thats a nice photo.

Rod Grimwood
09-05-2012, 04:51 AM
I love this photo of Bruce at Sebring 12 hour 1965 he drove with Ken Miles in a GT40
Note the helmet with a bit of battle scaring.

Steve Holmes
09-06-2012, 05:03 AM
Neat photo Rod.

ERC
10-08-2012, 10:47 PM
http://www.monza.org.nz/temp/166_01Bruce.jpg

I took this pic at the annual Racing Car Show at Olympia. I think January 1966, but I could be a year out.

On the day Bruce died, I was a Prison officer in the UK. In the prison coach, heading back after a day working at the Old Bailey or the Inner London Quarter Sessions, I saw through the coach windows, the news stand billboards "F1 driver killed at Goodwood". I somehow or other knew there and then it was Bruce.

Steve Holmes
10-11-2012, 05:21 AM
Wow, absolutely beautiful photo Ray! Thanks for the link. Looking at the sign on the rear spoiler of the McLaren, its still Oldsmobile powered, so yet to start running the Chevy. The McLarens were running Chevys from the first round of the 1966 Can-Am, they had to do as John Surtees was doing in his Lola, after he'd also switched to the bigger Chevy motor.

OCTARD-USA
12-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Here is a photo of Bruce McLaren seated on the grid with friends and crew at Nassau, 1964.

http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6457/brucemclareninm1aonpreg.jpg

This photo was given to me by Don Breslauer.

Though a few early members of Bruce McLaren Motor Racing have been asked to identify the cast within this photo, the marked up copy below is all that is mutually agreed upon.

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/1125/brucemclareninm1onpregr.jpg

A few believe the fellow in position #1 to be Bruce Harre, where a couple others disagree. If there are folks here that believe they can add to the identification of those within the photo, I/we look forward to such feedback.

I do not know if this early McLaren chassis has survived, and if so who that present caretaker might be. If that individual or other folks associated with this car would like a much higher resolution version of the image above, please feel free to reach out in private via this page (http://www.impeccableinc.com/contact/).

-Chad

Jerry Entin
12-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Here is one of Bruce McLaren at Riverside spoofing the Chaparral crew.
Wally Willmott leaning in and Tyler Alexander at the back. That is Teddy Mayer in the front.
This was taken at the Riverside Grand Prix in 1964.
photo: Kirby Guyer

thunder427
12-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Wally Willmott leaning in and Tyler Alexander at the back. That is Teddy Mayer in the front.

...check the nose 'art',precursor of things to come !!!................................thunder427/MJ:cool:

David McKinney
12-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Not an M1A, but the first McLaren. The first M1A wasn't completed till a few months after the Nassau Speed Week
(With thanks to Howden Ganley for pointing out what I should have already known:o )

Steve Holmes
12-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Chad and Jerry, fantastic posts! Thanks so much for sharing these.

Rod Grimwood
12-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Thunder, front looks a little GT40 ish.

John B
12-17-2012, 12:36 PM
McLaren fans (and let's face it, who isn't!) will be pleased to know that Spark has announced that they are about to produce the following 1:43rd models...

Spark #S1101 : McLaren Elva MK I #47, Mosport USRRC 1964 (Bruce McLaren)

Spark #S1102 : McLaren Elva MK II #4, Mosport Can Am 1966 (Bruce McLaren)

Spark #S1103 : McLaren Elva MK I #5, Nassau Trophy 1964 (Bruce McLaren)

Cheers, John
www.spr-models.co.nz (http://www.spr-models.co.nz)

David McKinney
12-17-2012, 05:37 PM
S1102 does look like a McLaren-Elva Mk2 (or McLaren M1B as it was known in the UK)
But S1101 and S1103 are not any type of McLaren-Elva. They are the 1964 McLaren, which was followed by McLaren-Elva Mk1 (or McLaren M1A)

John B
12-17-2012, 06:30 PM
S1102 does look like a McLaren-Elva Mk2 (or McLaren M1B as it was known in the UK)
But S1101 and S1103 are not any type of McLaren-Elva. They are the 1964 McLaren, which was followed by McLaren-Elva Mk1 (or McLaren M1A)

Hi David,
Spark produce beautifully hand-crafted, 1:43 resin models, and they are always incredibly accurate. However sometimes, because of the French to Chinese to English translation, the descriptions aren't 100% accurate. I'm sure they will get it right before manufacturing commences.

jim short
12-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Hi how about some prices

John B
12-18-2012, 01:25 AM
Hi how about some prices

Hi Jim,
The models have not yet been produced, just an announcement from Spark that they will be released in 2013 - hence the images above of the actual car, not the model. All model manufacturers do this - even in their printed catalogues - because announcements of future models are often made more than a year before the actual model is produced.

Rod Grimwood
12-18-2012, 02:34 AM
SPECIFICATIONS
Make: McLaren Elva
Model: M1A
Year: 1965
Color: Gold and white
Engine: Chevrolet V8
CC: 5645
Power: 400 bhp
Transmission: ZF 5 speed
Brakes: Girling Discs
Length: 166"
Width: 64"
Height: 51"
Weight: 1828 lbs
Chassis no: 20-01

After a victorious start the decision was made to build the first real McLaren from Bruce's own designs. In September 1964 the new McLaren-Oldsmobile started testing at Goodwood The Mark 1 was a simple space frame design of round and square tubing with light alloy sheeting riveted and bonded to form a stressed and bonded undertray. The Mark 1 was fitted with an Oldsmobile V8 engine, Cooper wheels, uprights and steering arms, and a 4 speed Hewland gearbox. The new car had its racing debut at Mosport Park that September and was the fastest car on the track until a throttle linkage broke incurring a long pit stop which resulted in Bruce's third place finish. The Mark 1 was soon setting records on the American circuits and with the success came requests from other drivers who wanted replicas.
In November 1964 the MA went into production as the McLaren Elva Mark 1. Work began immediately on 24 customer M1As in order to have a car on display at the London Racing Car Show in January 1965.
The M1A in the Mathews Collection is the first of the Elva built cars, chassis 20-01, and is the car that premiered at the London Racing Car Show as the first McLaren customer car the world had ever seen. The car was then bought by John Coombs, a Jaguar dealer in England, for Graham Hill to drive. After the L.A. Times Grand Prix in October 1965, John Coombs sold the car to Jerry Entin, a California racer. The M1A's new owner landed it a part in the movie Spinout, in which Elvis Presley drove the car.

Rod Grimwood
12-18-2012, 02:38 AM
SPECIFICATIONS
Model: M1B
Year: 1966
Color: Silver
CC: 6178
Power: 550 bhp
Transmission: Hewland LG 500
Length: 147"
Width: 59"
Height: 35"
Weight: 1850 lbs
Chassis no: 30-12

The M1B was the McLaren team car for 1965 through to 1996, as well as the McLaren Elva customer car for 1966. Elva announced they would be building the M1B in September 1965. It was the second car to be produced by Elva, but the first to be successful for both works and customer drivers, in England and America. Elva produced 28 M1Bs.
The design was based on the M1A, with engineer Robin Herd retaining and revising the frame to make it 20% stronger without gaining any weight. The strength was gained by using larger diameter round and square mild steel tubes stiffened by sheet alloy riveted and bonded to it, forming the undertrays and bulkheads. The M1B body was designed by English motorsport artist Michael Turner. He also created the Team McLaren badge, using an image of the Kiwi, the iconic New Zealand flightless bird. Turner designed the M1B body using very strict guidelines laid down by Bruce, including a rigid set of cross sections and aerodynamic requirements. After the final drawings were made, a model was built for wind tunnel testing to improve lines and streamlining. Much attention was paid to the lift and drag characteristics. The M1B's front end was blunt, shaped like the Penske Zerex, to eliminate the uplift that had been apparent with the more wing-shaped M1A. A clear plexiglass spoiler was also added to the rear of the M1B to help with downforce.

Rod Grimwood
12-18-2012, 02:39 AM
SPECIFICATIONS
Model: M1C
Year: 1967
Color: Red
Engine: Chevrolet
CC: 6180
Power: 500 bhp
Transmission: Hewland LG
Length: 146"
Width: 66"
Height: 31"
Weight: 1900 lbs
Chassis no: 40-18

Our first McLaren. It gave us the McLaren bug.
The M1C was the last tubular frame chassis car built by Elva as a McLaren customer car. In total, 25 were built and they were sold in the USA as the McLaren-Elva Mark 3. Most of these went on to race in the USRRC and Can-Am championships. The M1C was again based on the space frame design of the M1A and M1B. The M1C was to be the last of the M1s; the McLaren Team had already moved on to the all conquering monocoque M6A.
The M1C was Elva's further development of the M1B with a separate spoiler wing at the rear to replace the airdam. On many of the American M1Cs this spoiler was adjustable to help with setup at the vastly different circuits around the States. The M1C chassis was constructed from large diameter round and square tubing in a space frame form with light alloy sheets riveted and bonded to it, which formed the undertrays and bulkheads. The frame work was strengthened and stiffened from the m1B by additional tubes in the front and rear bays. The body is formed from four reinforced polyester resin sections with side sections housing the Twin 25 gallon rubber fuel cells. The ducting for the brakes, the radiator and oil coolers are all built into the body shape to help with weight saving. The M1Cs were most commonly powered by Chevrolet engines although it was possible to fit the optional Ford or Oldsmobile power units. The whole thing ran on custom made wide McLaren-Elva cast magnesium wheels, 15 inch diameter at both front and rear.

jim short
12-18-2012, 04:29 AM
SPECIFICATIONS
Model: M1B
Year: 1966
Color: Silver
CC: 6178
Power: 550 bhp
Transmission: Hewland LG 500
Length: 147"
Width: 59"
Height: 35"
Weight: 1850 lbs
Chassis no: 30-12

The M1B was the McLaren team car for 1965 through to 1996, as well as the McLaren Elva customer car for 1966. Elva announced they would be building the M1B in September 1965. It was the second car to be produced by Elva, but the first to be successful for both works and customer drivers, in England and America. Elva produced 28 M1Bs.
The design was based on the M1A, with engineer Robin Herd retaining and revising the frame to make it 20% stronger without gaining any weight. The strength was gained by using larger diameter round and square mild steel tubes stiffened by sheet alloy riveted and bonded to it, forming the undertrays and bulkheads. The M1B body was designed by English motorsport artist Michael Turner. He also created the Team McLaren badge, using an image of the Kiwi, the iconic New Zealand flightless bird. Turner designed the M1B body using very strict guidelines laid down by Bruce, including a rigid set of cross sections and aerodynamic requirements. After the final drawings were made, a model was built for wind tunnel testing to improve lines and streamlining. Much attention was paid to the lift and drag characteristics. The M1B's front end was blunt, shaped like the Penske Zerex, to eliminate the uplift that had been apparent with the more wing-shaped M1A. A clear plexiglass spoiler was also added to the rear of the M1B to help with downforce.

Rod is this photo of Harrys collection??

Rod Grimwood
12-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Harry ?

Powder
12-18-2012, 07:09 AM
I think he means Harry Mathews:
http://www.mathewscollection.com/collection_history.htm

But it looks like they've sold off most of the McLarens since their book came out.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mathews-Collection-William-Taylor/dp/1902351029

jim short
12-18-2012, 07:48 AM
Harry ?

Sorry Rod not trying to big note you know that,Harry is a real good bloke four of us stayed with him some years back ,he and two boys ran their can am cars at Road America,he had or has hopefully still has the most McLarens including the coupe plus Ferraris ,hot rods ,he loves his hot rods,at the time 13 McLarens sat in each one ,not that easy to get out of some of then,needed arms twice as long to reach the ground so as not to damage them,.He lives up above Denver we were taken up to see Buffalo Bills muesem{I think thats correct} way up in the mountain,wild deer roam beside his home,.He made his money making car wash machines,He sent me out his book on his cars,plus he has been a great help to the Bruce McLaren Trust

Rod Grimwood
12-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Sorry did not know first name, but what a collection. Yes thats it, the http://www.mathewscollection.com/collection_history.htm, what a site. Can/will spend hours going over it.
You are one very lucky person to have gone there Jim.

jim short
12-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Lucky yes but the weather there real violent ,missed out on a tornad at the track ,when one comes they have everyone under the track where it passes over itself,looking at the clouds 4 layers going in 4 directions rather scary,prefer Laguna Seca anyday

jim short
12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Sad to say Harry got caught out with some money loss and has sold most of his cars,hard to believe but thats life I guess

SPman
01-31-2013, 04:11 AM
Hi how about some prices
$67 US plus postage is the current norm

bry3500
02-02-2013, 02:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0wwk4EDYsw

Malcolm McLeod
02-02-2013, 06:53 AM
That more then anything reveals the passion that the current McLaren people have for the McLaren heritage. And it just seems such a McLaren thing to do...no pats on the back, just a "that's the last thing they'll expect, let's do it!" expression of celebration.
One of my favourite youtube clips I never tire of listening too.

"On June 2 2010, the 40th anniversary of Bruce's passing, they held a minute's silence at the McLaren factory. And then, like the racers they are, they fired up the 7.5 litre Chevorlet V8 in one of those glorious orange elephants that Bruce and Denny loved so much, a M8D, and revved it hard for a minute. And somewhere very hallowed, where the spirits of the good guys go, Bruce and Denny would have been laughing their heads off in approval of the men who continue to carry their flame."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5xPW2Wg1i4&feature=related

John B
07-23-2013, 01:39 PM

At last ... the model we've all been waiting for has arrived! Spark's 1:43rd resin model of Bruce's #2 McLaren M1A from Riverside 1964.

Michael Clark
07-23-2013, 07:46 PM
Wow!

Steve Holmes
07-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow!

I second that, completely stunning model!

bry3500
07-28-2013, 09:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdc9mWs0JkE

Oldfart
07-29-2013, 01:02 AM
Hmmmm! Not a lot else to say really!

DJMcD
08-08-2013, 04:11 AM
I second that, completely stunning model!

THAT is cool! Where do I get mine?

DJMcD
08-08-2013, 04:11 AM
Oh dear me!

bry3500
02-02-2014, 06:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0zDOS8mwk

Grant Sprague
02-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Woooow Bry just great footage never seen before....... & Wally ex Timaru guy ........ Fantastic....... Thanks mate........ ps any one get footage of the saloon race that day Bruce also had the works mini cooper there giving the locals a hurry up....

Oldfart
02-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks Bry, you keep turning up the gems, and this is the jewel in the crown! Fantastic, and the first Grand Prix I saw!

Jeff
02-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Hi , I live just across the road from where Bruce is buried and I tend his grave when it needs it.
Although nothing has changed on his headstone , it has been nicely restored with gold lettering etc in the last few years.
Bruce's mum and dad are buried in the next plot over and next to them , Bruce's sister Pat and her husband.
The grave is almost never without flowers , especially on Bruce's birthday and anniversary of his death.
I do believe that in 1970 his family didn't want a flash descriptive headstone - they were very humble, down to earth people.

I was talking to Bruces sister a number of years ago at manfeild ,and i said when i go to Tepuke Dennys head stone tells you what he did in motor racing, but when i go to auckland Bruces head stone only has his name it does not tell you what he did with his life and what he did in motor racing putting nz on the map .I did say it would be good to see something put up there for all to see maybe they have ,i have not been to auckland for a number of years so do not know--maybe you do.

jamie
02-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Thanks Bry I was there that day thanks so much for that clip Jamie A

SPman
02-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Is Pat dead now as well?

Jeff
02-07-2014, 01:31 AM
I took these photo's this morning

I must say these are very humble graves for people that have left us with an amazing legacy

Growler
02-07-2014, 02:29 AM
I used to know Pat through her daughter Linda. Unfortunately due to changes in circumstance we lost contact about 8 - 9 years ago.
I remember going through a lot of photos of Bruce and the family, looking at his race suit and oddball stuff like Silver “McLaren” pencils they had made years ago.
I used to love hearing stories of the old days. It was fascinating stuff!

Ross Hollings
02-21-2014, 04:08 AM
Bought this series of 3 photos ,mounted and signed by Jack Inward,at the Inter Marque Concurs in Auckland.I was chuffed.23817

GD66
02-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Great pics. Jack Inwood.

Ross Hollings
02-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Yes Inwood,senior moment,all part of growing up.

John H
02-24-2014, 08:19 AM
What a nice guy. 1964 walking back from lunch...

John H
02-24-2014, 08:21 AM
The thing I most remember was how quiet every one was looking at this damaged car.

Steve Holmes
12-28-2015, 12:02 AM
Looks interesting; Roger Donaldson to create a doco on Bruce McLaren: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/75234384/Director-Roger-Donaldson-returns-home-to-make-race-driver-drama?cid=app-iPad

ERC
12-28-2015, 06:36 AM
I think the time is fast approaching when I sell off some of my memorabilia, given that if I keeled over tomorrow, the true value may not be recognized by the family.

One of the treasures is a personally signed Michael Turner print, by Bruce, at the Racing Car Show in 1966.

khyndart in CA
12-28-2015, 11:08 PM
Ray,
I know the feeling. Unless one of you guys show up at MY estate sale no one here would know what a ; Stirling Moss, Denis Hulme, Dan Gurney, Andy Granatelli, Al Unser, Derek Bell, etc. .. etc. signed programme or book would be worth so that is why I share here on TRS what I have while I can.

khyndart in CA
12-28-2015, 11:20 PM
I found this article in a July 2000 issue of MotorSport and it was entitled;
"Bruce McLaren; Fine racer, great engineer and even better bloke."
What a neat way to be remembered. I hope these are clear enough to read.

You see by the lift in Jack Brabham's left front wheel that he was working hard at staying ahead of "our Bruce."

( Ken Hyndman ) p.s. If anyone wants a page made clearer let me know or get Steve to raise the 185 kb size limit !

khyndart in CA
12-29-2015, 12:28 AM
One of my favorite photos of Bruce McLaren was taken by Pete Lyons and shows him calmly coming through the " Corkscrew Corner" at Laguna Seca during the 1969 Can Am race in his all conquering M8B.

( Pete Lyons photo. from Ken Hyndman scrapbook )

ERC
12-29-2015, 01:40 AM
Local artist Don Packwood and John Storr at the auction of Don's painting.

The rough for the embroidery for the McLaren Trust trip to the Monaco Historics in 2012. What a lot of fun we had too!

Grant Sprague
12-29-2015, 07:48 AM
What a nice guy. 1964 walking back from lunch...Beaut photo of Bruce , also showing old pit entrance that I can remember for the Wills & B&H.as a boy .... Bruce was & still is an inspiration ..so many stories yet to come out of wood work

23868 Beaut Photo of Bruce, this also shows the old pit lane entrance , remembering this as a boy watching Wills & B & H , Bruce was & is an inspiration

John H
12-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Yes I clearly remember being a little taken back that the great man would look at a kid and smile for a photo. A nice moment to remember.
I remember your Dad changing a cam in the green MK 3 Zephyr at the round the street races at the Mount one year.

Also just talking to a friend about that photo in another thread at the same Mount venue on this site and he did some sprint event with Garth Sounes in that old Coupe. He suggested that he would often take a shot of gin prior to racing? Would that be true? Chrs

Roger Dowding
12-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Yes I clearly remember being a little taken back that the great man would look at a kid and smile for a photo. A nice moment to remember.
I remember your Dad changing a cam in the green MK 3 Zephyr at the round the street races at the Mount one year.

Also just talking to a friend about that photo in another thread at the same Mount venue on this site and he did some sprint event with Garth Sounes in that old Coupe. He suggested that he would often take a shot of gin prior to racing? Would that be true? Chrs

John H, I got the Souness Marwood photo from Historics Sports Car Racing New Zealand's facebook page. Hey racing was like that back in the day, " a shot of gin " -

Allan
12-29-2015, 09:21 AM
In post 94 is the spoiler higher on the right side or is it just an optical illusion?

Grant Sprague
12-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Mmmmmmm do not think so at all he would not do that took motor racing very seriously , but do remember being at the Mount with Mum & Dad.. & going to the Pub on the Crn after practice where they all meet ..Anchor Inn pub 9 yrs old , Dad got me root beer , he said it came from the plant of that tree there Grant [ a punga tree] lol , we did not have those trees in the South Island I believed him , Ernie was a bit of hard case, Thank you John & Rog........ps have a great 2016 every one

khyndart in CA
12-29-2015, 06:49 PM
In post 94 is the spoiler higher on the right side or is it just an optical illusion?
Allan,
That is a good observation. Actually the rear wing was mounted to the suspension and the bodywork moved separately, especially at a corner such as the aptly named "Corkscrew" as that is almost what the car is doing as it turns left to drop away to a lower right corner to exit. This is another version of the Pete Lyons photo showing the bodywork and suspension angles.

Also here is another Pete Lyons photo from the other side of the track at the same event. Note the risks that the photographers took to get their shot.That tree would not have provided much protection !

( Ken Hyndman )

Allan
12-29-2015, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that explanation Ken.

John McKechnie
12-29-2015, 08:43 PM
It looks even more interesting seeing the F1 cars of the time when the front wing was the same height as the rear wing, going through the same corner

khyndart in CA
12-30-2015, 01:14 AM
When I was at Trojan Works in 1973 I found this shipping form on a shelf and I realized it was written 5 weeks before Bruce died at Goodwood in 1970. It is a simple keepsake of a time before tragedy struck with Bruce's death and Denny getting burnt at Indianapolis.
Perhaps these were Indy car parts.
It is my little bit of McLaren memorabilia when it was still Bruce McLaren Racing.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-30-2015, 01:29 AM
June 1970.
A sad time for all.

May the movie do justice to all that Bruce achieved.
( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Someone recently asked me about what happened to Bruce, so I got out some old scrapbook cuttings etc. of photos of the action at Goodwood in May/ June 1970. I told the person that there were no wind tunnels for testing race cars at that time and that the test driver e.g. Bruce, was like a test pilot venturing into unknown limits.
As you can see there no support struts or bracing to the rear wing when Bruce was driving. It took his terrible accident to get that reinforcement and I do not think a rear assembly ever came away from the McLaren Can Am cars again.
I saw the site of the accident at Goodwood in late 1973 and the skid marks were still evident on the track and it was so sad that to think that just 10 metres past the marshal's stand that the car would have just spun harmlessly and Bruce could have come back to the pits and have the modifications done in time for the 1970 Can Am series starting at Mosport.
I think Bruce was going to retire at the end of the season to concentrate on his expanding business and perhaps for 1971 we would have had a full Kiwi team of Denny Hulme and Chris Amon and Bruce in charge. We will never know but the 1970 season was such a tragic year, (e.g. losing McLaren, Courage and Rindt just in F1 alone ) especially on June 2nd at Goodwood.

(F. David Stone photos..my scrapbook)

Bruce making adjustments at the front. The infamous rear wing assembly is in the background. Goodwood. 1970.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-08-2016, 10:49 PM
After Bruce's accident, this is how the modifications were done to the 1970 M8D Can Am car.

And shown clearly in this wonderful photo from the Charles Houser Collection.

So close to avoiding disaster. Just another 10 metres. Goodwood marshal's stand on the Lavant Straight.
(Quote from Wikipedia.com " The circuit claimed the life of McLaren-founder Bruce McLaren in a testing accident on 2 June 1970.

The accident happened on Lavant Straight, when a rear bodywork failure on McLaren's M8D car caused it to spin and leave the track, hitting a structure on the infield at over 100 mph while travelling sideways." )

(Ken Hyndman )

duncan fox
12-09-2016, 03:00 AM
Hi Ken

Earlier on this year a group of us were involved in some track footage for Roger Donaldsons documentry McLaren at Bruce McLaren Park in Taupo. It was a eerie experience recreating the events leading up to the accident and we were mindful of not duplicating the event. So much so that we did the sound track separately just recently with the car set up properly to do the high speed passes . The car I built up had a set of original Denny M8D body work using a high wing that came from a Bruce B. It was special having those original parts along for the ride. The end result was very convincing and the film footage I have seen is superb and very moving. I have high hopes for this docudrama. For me personally it is a milestone to see it made as the Bruce McLaren Trust enters its 20th year. No 1 on my bucket list.... this fabulous story made for the benefit of future generations. I guarantee you all, you will not be disappointed.

Someone recently asked me about what happened to Bruce, so I got out some old scrapbook cuttings etc. of photos of the action at Goodwood in May/ June 1970. I told the person that there were no wind tunnels for testing race cars at that time and that the test driver e.g. Bruce was like a test pilot venturing into unknown limits.
As you can see there no support struts or bracing to the rear wing when Bruce was driving. It took his terrible accident to get that reinforcement and I do not think a rear assembly ever came away from the McLaren Can Am cars again.
I saw the site of the accident at Goodwood in late 1973 and the skid marks were still evident on the track and it was so sad that to think that just 10 metres past the marshal's stand that the car would have just spun harmlessly and Bruce could have come back to the pits and have the modifications done in time for the 1970 Can Am series starting at Mosport.
I think Bruce was going to retire at the end of the season to concentrate on his expanding business and perhaps for 1971 we would have had a full Kiwi team of Denny Hulme and Chris Amon and Bruce in charge. Who knows but the 1970 season was a tragic year
in many ways especially on June 2nd at Goodwood.

(F. David Stone photos..my scrapbook)

Bruce making adjustments at the front. The infamous rear wing assembly in the background. Goodwood. 1970.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-09-2016, 06:37 AM
Duncan,
Thanks for your input.
I know if you have been involved with the movie that it will indeed be superb.
I hope there is nothing here that I have entered that is not appropriate.
Ken.

duncan fox
12-09-2016, 07:48 AM
All good Ken,

earlier you described how the team made support struts at the rear to prevent any further failures. As well as the struts a large framework was made from 1inch sq alloy box and bonded into each side of the rear body work the entire length of the fence's to take the rear pip pins On retrospect an over reaction that cost the team performance. The wing fences became almost an 1 3/8 thick and the air didn't flow as well over them as the B mule with the 1/8 alloy plate fence fixed to the sides. As a result the 3% annual performance gain that they always worked toward virtually evaporated before the first race. The following year the team started fresh using known B bodywork areas and they produced the F body which has no D dna in it whatsoever.

khyndart in CA
12-09-2016, 09:34 PM
I found this old ad for "Reynolds Aluminum."
Bruce McLaren in the 1969 M8B Can Am car.

A cutaway of the car showing the aluminum products in the darker shade.

A box showing the ALUMINIUM products on the car. (Check the spelling. Now I know why I get confused !)

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
12-09-2016, 10:25 PM
If any of you visit the McLaren Trust home in Remuera, can you check to see if this publication is on display.
It has been signed by Denis Hulme, Dan Gurney,Vic Elford, Brian Redman and Howden Ganley.
I gave it to Jan about 10 years ago and I hope it can still be observed.
Thanks,
Ken Hyndman.

duncan fox
12-09-2016, 11:00 PM
Hi Ken,

it most certainly is there but as you know space has always been the problem at Remuera so it isn't always displayed. Recently the Garage building was sold to a developer and the future for the Trust at that address was determined simply by money and the lack of combined with the math of owning commercial property in that suburb. To have purchased and earthquake strengthened the build was an exercise in excess of 3 million , that's before you even start to think about what you are going to do inside. Then there would have been the parking issues...

So, in a weeks time the doors will shut at Remuera, and in the new year the Trust will move to its new home at Hampton Downs raceway. Although the Remuera developer who plans to add another floor to the building was prepared to sell us a title to remain there ,we just could not justify the cost, when compared to the new venture at Hampton Downs. We have now created a facility within our budget that will enable us to display all our memorabilia and a selection of cars as well. We are working towards a grand opening in late March to celebrate the Trusts 20th birthday.

The next 20 years will involve a younger group of Trustees taking over the reins from the 4 of us and to that end Im pleased to say that Greg "Murph" Murphy is the first to come on board with us. Howden Ganley also accepted the role of patron to fill the gap left by our beloved Chris Amon as we start to move into another decade. We are at a period in time where our heroes are leaving us, and it is our job to now ensure that the new Bruce McLaren Heritage Centre does what it can to be entrusted with this material for the next and future generations.

If any of you visit the McLaren Trust home in Remuera, can you check to see if this publication is on display.
It has been signed by Denis Hulme, Dan Gurney,Vic Elford, Brian Redman and Howden Ganley.
I gave it to Jan about 10 years ago and I hope it can still be observed.
Thanks,
Ken Hyndman.

khyndart in CA
12-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Duncan,
You have done a wonderful job explaining all the details. Thank you. Also for all you have done for Bruce's legacy.
I am pleased to have had the opportunity to visit the original home when I did in Remuera.
K.Hyndman & Jan McLaren at the McLaren family home. Remuera. 2008.

khyndart in CA
06-02-2020, 11:01 PM
June 2nd 1970.
I can remember clearly where I was 50 years ago when this terrible news came over the radio before I went to work at W.H. Lober & Company a Holden dealer in Woolloomooloo, Sydney.
Many of you must have had the same unbelievable, this can't be true feeling, at that time.

Ken H.

ERC
06-03-2020, 02:37 AM
June 2nd 1970, I was in the UK Prison Service and had spent a long day at the ILS (Inner London Sessions - as Prison staff ran upper courts, not the police).

I remember being on the prison service coach afterwards, heading either for Brixton or Wormwood Scrubs, (probably both) en route for Ashford, Middlesex, home base, and passed a news vendor displaying the flyer 'F1 driver killed testing' or something similar. I don't know why, but for some reason I knew it was Bruce McLaren.

nigel watts
06-03-2020, 03:55 AM
June 2nd 1970.
I can remember clearly where I was 50 years ago when this terrible news came over the radio before I went to work at W.H. Lober & Company a Holden dealer in Woolloomooloo, Sydney.
Many of you must have had the same unbelievable, this can't be true feeling, at that time.

Ken H.

It really is a small world Ken. I also remember the day vividly, and at the time I was also living in Sydney, and I was working for an insurance company [VACC] in Williams St Kings Cross.

Oldfart
06-03-2020, 06:18 AM
I was going to Ashburton to book my tickets to go and work at McLarens the exact day 50 years ago. I never went. There is a long story.

Autopia
06-08-2020, 10:13 AM
Not sure if this made the news in NZ but in my role as a Trustee of Auckland University alumni in the UK we've been working for 4 years to develop the relationship between the Engineering Faculty (where Bruce studied) and McLaren. We've funded several students to work as interns at Woking, we have a post-grad program in place to study in the UK and US in conjunction with McLaren and the ultimate aim is to raise funding to endow a Chair of Innovative Engineering at Auckland, in Bruce's name. McLaren had intended to hold a memorial dinner last week to honour Bruce but due to Covid-19 that has been postponed.
However they asked me if we could arrange a haka to honour Bruce's memory and the Engineering Faculty haka group (through the fantastic efforts of Development Manager Paul Cunningham) put together in 2 days a wonderful introduction and haka that has had an amazing reception from McLaren and on the company's social media around the world. You can see it here:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/heritage/haka-bruce-university-auckland/

Amanda also lit 50 ceremonial candles around some of the cars in the McLaren boulevard to honour her father's memory:

https://www.facebook.com/McLaren.Racing/videos/bruce50/353563025614566/

Trevor Sheffield
06-09-2020, 02:05 AM
Not sure if this made the news in NZ but in my role as a Trustee of Auckland University alumni in the UK we've been working for 4 years to develop the relationship between the Engineering Faculty (where Bruce studied) and McLaren. We've funded several students to work as interns at Woking, we have a post-grad program in place to study in the UK and US in conjunction with McLaren and the ultimate aim is to raise funding to endow a Chair of Innovative Engineering at Auckland, in Bruce's name. McLaren had intended to hold a memorial dinner last week to honour Bruce but due to Covid-19 that has been postponed.
However they asked me if we could arrange a haka to honour Bruce's memory and the Engineering Faculty haka group (through the fantastic efforts of Development Manager Paul Cunningham) put together in 2 days a wonderful introduction and haka that has had an amazing reception from McLaren and on the company's social media around the world. You can see it here:

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/heritage/haka-bruce-university-auckland/

Amanda also lit 50 ceremonial candles around some of the cars in the McLaren boulevard to honour her father's memory:

https://www.facebook.com/McLaren.Racing/videos/bruce50/353563025614566/

All will be deeply moved by this tribute and sincere thanks to the university team for their very special effort. Those who do not view the video will miss something truly inspiring, even though involving sadness.

It is to be hoped that it receives the publicity which is deserved. It would comprise a great video to show at club fuctions.