PDA

View Full Version : Are apostrophes important?

Terry S
08-20-2015, 07:45 AM
I started the Tasman Racers threads, and the reason it had to be split into three parts was it ran to over 16,000 words and the forum limit is 10,000 words per post.
After hours and hours of research, and typing over 16,000 words, it was very appreciated to already receive four posts of compliments (plus Ken Hyndham on another thread “very well researched Rorstan thread”). To date there have been over 750 views of the three threads.
Then there is the poor sad nitpicker who after days of searching in all those words finally found an unnecessary single solitary apostrophe had been included. What can I say?

Imagine critically going through all those words and all you can find is an apostrophe. Nit picking must be hard work. Perhaps that is why so few practise it?
Then in part 2 out of all the thousands of words he picks on ONE single solitary word.

I understand this person is BANNED from the Ten Tenths Forum, and was banned for some time from Autosport’s Nostalgia forum.

May I quote a very recent example from last Saturday on the Nostalgia Forum. It is under the Australian Constructors thread, and in post 834 the moderator Vitesse 2 says
“Gentlemen - and in one or two cases I am using that word advisedly - I have removed several recent posts which were neither civil nor exactly on topic.
In future, rather than responding angrily or in an intimidatory fashion, please just hit 'report' and/or PM me. PMs get my instant attention when I log into the site.
As I said in a previous thread - To adopt the Australian vernacular: if youse blokes don't ease off on the barneying I may be forced to piss on a few people's parades. Or at the very least in their cornflakes”.
And guess who was in the middle of all that......

Surely life is too short for nitpicking. Why not be positive and constructive like the others on this forum and have happy days? Leave the other stuff to TNF.

GD66
08-20-2015, 08:04 AM
There isn't a day I don't log on here and silently thank Steve for getting TRS up and running, and the host of drivers, mechanics and fans who have broken out the dusty contents of their bottom drawers to share with us all pics and yarns from Ye Olden Days.
I remember wondering at the time whether we were living in a bubble of fantastic motorsport over a few beers in great weather, with visitors from all over the world dropping by. Looking back now, it's clear we were, and piggybacking on kiwis' successes in F1 and other theatres it really did seem the norm.
There was a great fear that all that could have been lost, but thanks to TRS it is well and truly recaptured for all of us.
So don't worry about some school teacher stepping you out for an apostrophe. Or the omission of a comma, or even the use of a semi-colon when a colon would have sufficed. If you've got the goods in a yarn from Back Then, just cough it up, we'll figure it out somehow.
Takes all sorts, and especially so on a forum. Just shrug it off, and keep posting mate.

Unless you start using apostrophes as a default setting for plurals...then I'll start stalking you...:cool:

Roger Dowding
08-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Terry S, my typing skills are terrible [ I just type that word as Treebile ], take heart from GD66 and the majority of us who love Motor Racing and Motoring in all forms and just want to relate our stories .. Your work on the Rorstans I need to read carefully, a very complicated story.
As GD66 said ..
" Takes all sorts, and especially so on a forum. Just shrug it off, and keep posting mate.", not like you are writing a book on the subject.

cheers, Roger, bad typist and proofreader..

Ray Bell
08-20-2015, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Terry S
I started the Tasman Racers threads, and the reason it had to be split into three parts was it ran to over 16,000 words and the forum limit is 10,000 words per post.....

As you think ill of me anyway, I'll just point out that Part 3 was 1,351 words. I think the 16,000 limit would be characters.

.....Then there is the poor sad nitpicker who after days of searching in all those words finally found an unnecessary single solitary apostrophe had been included. What can I say?

Imagine critically going through all those words and all you can find is an apostrophe. Nit picking must be hard work. Perhaps that is why so few practise it?

Then in part 2 out of all the thousands of words he picks on ONE single solitary word.

The only one I checked was Part 2, and that one only after I read that Oldfart had found some typos and you said you sought accuracy. There were three 'typos', not just the apostrophe. It took me a few minutes, I didn't spend any days 'searching'.

Steve Holmes
08-20-2015, 09:08 PM
Terry, unless you specifically ask for feedback on your punctuation, then no, apostrophes are not important. At least, not on a free-to-view forum where you're giving up your own time to share or compile information you have that you want to share with others.

In a social media situation, generally, people don't sweat over punctuation, which is one of the reasons its so relaxed and popular.

So my suggestion would be, don't sweat it, life is too short. Thanks for the great info you've put together. I see you've split into three separate threads. It is possible to bring everything together into a single thread, and I am happy to do this for you if you like?

Shoreboy57
08-20-2015, 09:11 PM
There isn't a day I don't log on here and silently thank Steve for getting TRS up and running, and the host of drivers, mechanics and fans who have broken out the dusty contents of their bottom drawers to share with us all pics and yarns from Ye Olden Days...So don't worry about some school teacher stepping you out for an apostrophe. Or the omission of a comma, or even the use of a semi-colon when a colon would have sufficed. If you've got the goods in a yarn from Back Then, just cough it up, we'll figure it out somehow....
:

And so say all (or almost all of us)

Terry S
08-20-2015, 10:44 PM
Terry, unless you specifically ask for feedback on your punctuation, then no, apostrophes are not important. At least, not on a free-to-view forum where you're giving up your own time to share or compile information you have that you want to share with others.

In a social media situation, generally, people don't sweat over punctuation, which is one of the reasons its so relaxed and popular.

So my suggestion would be, don't sweat it, life is too short. Thanks for the great info you've put together. I see you've split into three separate threads. It is possible to bring everything together into a single thread, and I am happy to do this for you if you like?

Steve, I think you are missing my point on punctuation. I only raised it because some else had already done so. I don't sweat over it.

When I typed this in Word as one total story I found when I tried to post that it hit the forum's 10,000 limit, so I had to break into 3 parts. I personally think it would be better as one whole, so if you can do that it would be great. As long as all the positive comments are carried over.
Just one thing, if you do please delete the sentence near the start of part 1 about having to split into 3 parts, as it will be redundant.

Steve Holmes
08-20-2015, 11:00 PM
No Terry, I didn't miss your point, you started a thread asking "Are apostrophes important?". My answer was, only if you've asked for feedback on your punctuation.

I'll bring those three threads together as one today Terry. Good work!

ERC
08-21-2015, 03:15 AM
As one who failed school - totally, I have a ready retort if anyone criticises what I have written...

As I age and with a duff left hand, typing has become increasingly difficult and like Roger above, I end up having to correct 90% of what I thought I had written! if an odd missing or extra apostrophe gets through, too bad.

This is a great site and long may it continue.

One poster on another message-board writes everything in upper case and always has. Quite why, no one knows, but we let him off, despite the occasional dig, as his car is probably the best example in the world and the one we all agree is the standard to which most would aspire to emulate.

alwylie
08-21-2015, 07:40 AM
As a self confessed nitpicker and compulsive corrector i try to suspend these tendency's when reading forum's like the roaring season. Not everyone has an eye for correct punctuation but some who dont still have good story's to tell and i wouldnt want to see them deterred by critical pedant's. Stalk me if you dare gd66

Roger Dowding
08-21-2015, 07:50 AM
As a self confessed nitpicker and compulsive corrector i try to suspend these tendency's when reading forum's like the roaring season. Not everyone has an eye for correct punctuation but some who dont still have good story's to tell and i wouldnt want to see them deterred by critical pedant's. Stalk me if you dare gd66

alwylie -- shoudn't the " i ",s be capitals " I ",s ? ... as said " Bugger ".

Allan
08-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Love your work Ray. It would take me three weeks to type something like that and I would wear out a finger doing it.

GD66
08-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Have a look outside. See that car parked over the road ? That's me, son....

I have a mate who's an apostrophe plural pedant as well, he received a letter from a govt utility company addressed to Mt Prospect Cresant, Mayland's, WA 6051. I arrived a few moments after the postie and he was still doing his block in the driveway...

bry3500
08-22-2015, 01:36 AM
:)

Roger Dowding
08-22-2015, 06:26 AM
:)

Bry3500, sums it up well, cheers

John McKechnie
08-22-2015, 07:14 AM
Well found Bry3500

kiwi285
08-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Good one Bry3500. Unfortunately it takes all sorts to make a world. As I have grown older I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Roger Dowding
08-24-2015, 04:05 AM
That was a great read Trevor - cheers

Trevor and Bry3500, perhaps our administrator could move this to a new thread, "Old Car stories " -
" Kiwi Specials " or similar.. there must be many..

GD66
08-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Perhap's so...:cool:

bry3500
08-24-2015, 04:58 AM
Trevor and Bry3500, perhaps our administrator could move this to a new thread, "Old Car stories " -
" Kiwi Specials " or similar.. there must be many..

Great idea

Oldfart
08-24-2015, 11:03 PM
As I was the one who mentioned a couple of typos, I must apologize that it has become such an issue, and it was not apostrophes (yes they do bug me but I don't bring it up). I loved the articles and all I commented was that it was such a set of great articles that corrected it would be even better.
As the topic has gone pretty much off topic, and my love is NZ specials, perhaps the few really neat posts relating to them could be moved? Steve?
I would love to know where Roger's special now is!

Steve Holmes
08-25-2015, 08:29 PM
Sorry folks, I've been down and out with the flu all week so didn't get to pounce on this as early as I should have. There were some unrelated posts in this thread, and given the content of them, I have decided to move them to another thread. I should say a big Thank You to those who added the unrelated posts, as it has allowed me to resurrect an excellent old thread we have here called Yards And Yarns, which basically relates to stories of interest, cars of interest etc, that don't necessarily warrant their own thread.

I have posted the link below to Yards and Yarns, but feel free to go right back through the thread. Lots of good stories in there.

Your stories can be found halfway down this page: http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?158-Yards-And-Yarns/page29

Terry S
08-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Steve, shouldn't posts 18,19 & 20 have been moved as well, they are not relevant to what remains?

Terry S
09-16-2015, 12:50 AM

Steve, any update on this?

John B
09-16-2015, 02:37 AM

Very clever alwylie! How the hell did you manage to squeeze in nineteen intentional errors into one paragraph, and still make it understandable? But I guess that is the purpose of your post. Your point is proved.

Oh I'm so tempted to correct those intentional errors, however I do recognise satire when I see it.

John B
09-16-2015, 03:01 AM
alwylie -- shoudn't the " i ",s be capitals " I ",s ? ... as said " Bugger ".

Roger, it was clever satire. alwylie inserted nineteen intentional grammar & punctuation errors into his post, to prove, ever with that number of mistakes, the post was still totally understandable.

Terry S
09-22-2015, 10:25 PM

Steve, any update on this?

Steve Holmes
09-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Sorry Terry, just gone and done that now. I hope you don't mind but I edited the layout slightly by putting each model name in bold text and adding spaces between the paragraphs to space the text out a little.

Terry S
09-23-2015, 05:08 AM
Sorry Terry, just gone and done that now. I hope you don't mind but I edited the layout slightly by putting each model name in bold text and adding spaces between the paragraphs to space the text out a little.

Thanks Steve, appreciated