PDA

View Full Version : Power Without Glory:Racing the Big-Twin Cooper just published

tsrwright
11-01-2015, 12:52 PM
From TNF
“Power Without Glory: Racing the Big-Twin Cooper” by Terry Wright sounds like an interesting tome with some splendid photos. Priced at £55 plus postage and packing. 352 pages, 300 images, 25.4 x 20.3 cms. See www.loosefillings.com

This is primarily a history of the early years of the V-twin JAP and Vincent engined Coopers, post-war up to 1950, but I would not like it to be thought of as a 'tome' or just about Coopers.

The blurb says it revisits the origins of the modern racing car, tracing a pedigree back to the first singe-seat, mid-engined dirt track cars in California before WW1, the cyclecar-based hillclimb cars of Europe and the interwar record breaking motorcycles of Britain. It shows how these influenced the first Coopers and how they went on to win the Formula 1 drivers' and constructors' world titles in 1959 and 1960. Just how bold a claim this is I am happy to discuss and to post more pictures here.:)

The book can be bought on line and shipped from the UK at the url above. Simon Lewis Transport Books and Auto-books can also supply it and I will have a few in Sydney this week but for collection only. Cover photo is Ken Wharton, Shelsley Wash, June1950, Courtesy Stilltime Collection.