PDA

View Full Version : Lakeside Australian Touring Car Championship Round - 1970

Steve Holmes
07-13-2011, 08:55 AM
This is amazing! Dale (Kiwiboss) just sent this through to me, originally posted on Youtube by the Bowden family who own the Norm Beechey HT Monaro and Allan Moffat Boss Mustang that appear in this short clip.

This is the Lakeside round of the 1970 ATCC. This is the penultimate round of the 9 race championship. In a sports car race just prior to the ATCC race, Glyn Scott and Ivan Tighe were involved in an accident just past the pits, in which Scott would succumb to his injuries. Then, just after the start of the touring car race, Chris Brauer went off in almost the same place in his ex-Bob Jane Mustang, and would never race again.

Allan Moffat would be black flagged for passing under a yellow flag, dropping him well down, while reigning champion Pete Geoghegan would be out with engine troubles after 7 laps. Beechey would go on to win the race, and wrapping up his second ATCC, while Bob Jane finished second, and Porsche driver Jim McKeown third.

This event is also notable for the fact young Queenslander Dick Johnson, in his home race, took his first ever ATCC point, driving a Torana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4G_HzxaoLs&feature=player_embedded

Leo D
07-13-2011, 10:50 AM
Steve,
That video clip is from the Shell film "The Championship Chase" which was released on DVD some years ago...

http://aso.gov.au/titles/documentaries/championship-chase/

The film opens with Norm himself driving the Monaro up onto the back of the Bedford Flat Top that was the team "Transporter".... the scene filmed in the bluestone laneway behind Norm's car yard in Sydney Rd Melbourne... The laneway still looks the same to this day..

The second clip in the link I posted shows a white painted workshop.....that's not the workshop behind the car yard. To see the actual workshop, you'll have to hunt down a second DVD... "Before Brock There Was Beechey"...

http://www.capricornmedia.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=16202

This DVD is broken into 2 parts.... the first part a documentary narrated by Bill Tuckey.... the second part a "Neptune Racing Team" promotional film. There is footage of Norm and the S4 in... the tin roofed... supported by timber beams.... part of his workshop behind the car yard, that was the home of the race team.

I'm not sure if either of the DVD's are still available...

Steve Holmes
07-13-2011, 08:10 PM
Hey thanks for that info Leo, really interesting! Australia would still have had b/w tv in 1970, so its amazing its available in colour.

Leo D
07-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Steve,

Many of the oild companies made those promotional films back in the 1950's - 60's and into the 70's.

Here in Victoria, Car clubs used to able to borrow them for viewing from the company libraries, then the system changed and one company handled all of the films from memory. As they were all 16mm, I'm not quite sure what happened to them, but they must be out there somewhere...

I recall other tites "The Racing Geoghegans", which was a Castrol production (and was available on DVD for a while) ..... "Matich" which I thnk was either BP or Rothmans.

Steve Holmes
07-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks Leo, awesome info.

Roger Dowding
06-29-2022, 01:03 AM
The photo board ; in the Cafe Building

A poster celebrating 50 years of the track.

Moved to Queensland in May 2011 from Sydney - living on Bribie Island only 45 minutes fro Kurwongbah - where Lakeside Track is.
I missed the first couple of meetings but got to the last two.

The August event covers shows the Norm " Stormin' Norman " Beechey Monaro..from the event in the video.

A typical Lakeside Ticket- this from 2015.