PDA

View Full Version : Race Team Mechanics.

khyndart in CA
03-31-2016, 10:59 PM
We read about cars, drivers and engines etc. but I would like to acknowledge the ones that make it all happen.
I always hoped that I would join the ranks as I was serving my apprenticeship in NZ and although I came close I never made the grade. So here are some photos and stories from the past and please add anyone you know that has been involved in preparing a car for racing. I have an admiration for these people.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
03-31-2016, 11:12 PM
Just to show how the Ferrari Formula One Team mechanics dress code changed over the years.
1973. July. Silverstone.
Engine change for Jackie Ickx's Ferrari with the 3 litre Flat 12 engine.
(Ken Hyndman photo )

March 1979.
Jody Scheckter's Ferrari 312 T4 being prepared at Kyalami.
(Autosport. photo )

March 2016.
Melbourne. Pit stop.

( Ken Hyndman.. can you spot the difference ?)

04-01-2016, 07:00 AM
when the cost of changing a tyre is greater than the cost of the tyre something is drastically wrong

khyndart in CA
04-01-2016, 09:15 AM
After stupidly starting a flash fire at the front of my Mini Cooper tonight (quickly extinguished ) I remembered one of the greatest fears for mechanics is the risk of fuel spills and fires. These risks have been greatly reduced due to safety measures enforced after the pit fire started in the Benetton pits during the 1994 German F1 GP. Although several mechanics were burnt along with the driver Jos Verstappen they were all lucky to survive this horrific accident. Three years later Verstappen became the father to present day F1 driver Max Verstappen.
(groupdate.net photo )

( Ken Hyndman )

gokiwi
04-01-2016, 08:42 PM
Does this qualify ?

khyndart in CA
04-01-2016, 08:43 PM
1960. Nurburgring pits. Germany.
The dangers of the pits is shown again in this Jesse Alexander photo. Fuel spilled onto the exhaust of this Ferrari driven by Giorgio Scarlatti. I see only one mechanic and all the gentlemen in their long overcoats would have not had much protection. I think lessons were learnt here of not to have too many extra people in the pit areas. When you see the crowded stands etc. they were lucky the fire
was quickly contained.

(Jesse Alexander photo )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-01-2016, 08:49 PM
[QUOTE=gokiwi;52126]Does this qualify ?

Sure.
We just need more details.

khyndart in CA
04-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Monaco.
During the 1950s. Smoking in the pit area was a common sight.
(Jesse Alexander photo)

(Ken Hyndman )

seaqnmac27
04-03-2016, 09:34 AM
I came across these a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crz3c0y4Q2Q

seaqnmac27
04-03-2016, 09:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC_0Xb5haB0

khyndart in CA
04-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks Sean.

Kwaussie
04-04-2016, 12:51 PM
34355Lovely man..

Kwaussie
04-04-2016, 12:55 PM
This was the photo of Bob I meant to post!

Steve Holmes
04-04-2016, 09:43 PM
Awesome thread Ken, and a great idea!

khyndart in CA
04-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Before the age of radio communications etc the message to a driver was with pit boards held out as the car sped by. I could never figure out how a driver could comprehend the board and still race ! I stood by a pit wall a few times and it scared the heck out of me !
These Ferrari pit crew operators seem pretty calm at Monaco in this '60s photo. Perhaps that was why they smoked cigarettes !.
(Jesse Alexander photo )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-04-2016, 11:18 PM
" The unsung heroes with greasy hands and no sleep."

I think this "Autosport " thread was a good description for race mechanics from former years.

1972 McLaren Team members;
Yardley-McLaren
Team Directors: Teddy Mayer and Phil Kerr
Chief Engineer: Tyler Alexander
Chief Designer: Gordon Coppuck
Chief Mechanic F1: Alistair Caldwell
F1 Mechanics to Denny Hulme: Barry Sullivan and Peter Davies
F1 Mechanics to Peter Revson: Dave Luff and Phil Sharp
F1 Mechanics T Car: Ian Griffiths and Peter Bruin

Now you need that many just to do a F1 tire change !

(They were a good bunch, dedicated,very hard workers , doing a great job of continuing on a great legacy after the loss of Bruce in 1970.)

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-05-2016, 08:02 AM
July 13th 1973. Silverstone.
Well known Tyrrell race mechanic, Jo Ramirez, leaning over the pit railing waiting for his driver, Francois Cevert to come in after setting his best time as the pit board shows of 1 min 17.3 seconds which was good enough to place him seventh on the grid for the infamous
1973 British Grand Prix held the next day.
( Ken Hyndman photo )
Jo Ramirez went on to have a wonderful career as a race mechanic.
Sadly Francois Cevert was to lose his life in October 1973 while practicing for the US Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7q152Ik5ZQ

( Ken Hyndman )

BMCBOY
04-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I always liked this shot of the Ferrari pit.
The caption reads "In a few hours this heap of spare parts was to be a Ferrari that Niki Lauda could drive to victory in the 1976 South African GP" Photo G. Brinkmann

Ray Bell
04-05-2016, 08:58 PM
When it comes to the mechanics, there are some notable ones we've seen over the years...

Among them would be Geoff Smedley. From Tasmania, he worked on the Aussie Miller Cooper and was a major part of getting it to Baker's Beach for the record runs with a V8 engine fitted. Then he moved on to the Youl family cars, where he prepared the immaculate John Youl Cooper.

This car grew Brabham suspension, always looked fabulous, outperformed later model cars and even came close to trouncing an International field at a very wet Lakeside International. One of the big jobs Geoff did was to cast and machine up the parts to fit a second magneto and make use of the blank spots in the head to fit twin plugs.

These were set to fire just a couple of degrees apart to ensure a more complete burn in the Climax engines.

When Boyce Youl got sick and John was forced to go back to the farm and stop racing, the workshop retained basically everything that had been used over the time, just the car and actual spares being sold off. Years later, when John died, Geoff walked into what had been his workshop there and found it just as it had been.

There were wishbone jigs hanging on the wall, chalk notes and various things still there, he was going to go back and photograph it all but didn't get around to it.

After leaving the Youls, Geoff was snaffled up by Frank Matich and helped with the development of the Lotus 19B and the Brabham, but the departure of Team Total saw him move on to the Howard & Sons Racing Team. One of his great achievements there was to design, have cast and machine to a finish a downdraught head for the Ford engines. These achieved great success, though only 14 were made before a terrible fate overcame the patterns.

A trip to South East Asia saw him once again working with the Climax FPF, this time the ex-Bartlett (etc) car as driven by Allan Grice. The team also had a bunch of Mini Coopers, Geoff oversaw the preparation, development and finish of these cars so they performed well and reliably and looked the part.

Back in Tassie these days, Geoff has recently completed restoration of a Morgan and keeps his fingers occupied working on model steam boats.

An outstanding example of the 'Racing Mechanic'...

khyndart in CA
04-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Thanks Ray,
That was so interesting about Geoff.
Keep those mechanic stories coming in.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
04-11-2016, 06:38 AM
Now the NZ flag has been decided on, perhaps you mechanics can get all patriotic and match this USA Indy team mechanics outfits with a NZ style !

(Jesse Alexander photo )

Ken Hyndman )

woody
04-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Didn't Allan Boyle and his Coca Cola team have Coke uniforms?

Allan
04-11-2016, 08:32 PM
Nah kiwi way was better, stubbies, t shirt and jandals. Way more comfortable.

khyndart in CA
04-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Allan,
You are correct, although it may not work too well today !
Team VDS at Levin in 1974.

( K.Hyndman scrapbook )

Allan
04-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Sorry I forgot the toweling hat which doubled as a cleaning or polishing rag.

khyndart in CA
04-12-2016, 08:01 PM
The VDS mechanic running up to Peter Gethin's Chevron # 2 is Graham Donaldson.
Graham started out as a apprentice mechanic at Battersby Motors in Rotorua and also helped prepare a Formula Ford for local driver, Robert McNair.
Graham heard that an import agent in Wellington who was a VDS agent was looking for anyone to could help the visiting VDS Team as a "goffer" for the North Island races in the 1972 Tasman series. After Levin, Count Rudi van der Stratten asked Graham to stay on for the South Island races and then the Australian races. After the series he asked Graham if he would like to work with the team in Europe. Graham jumped at that opportunity and he went on to have a life long career in motorsport from which he just recently and deservedly retired from. As I got to know Graham as a good friend while at Trojan Works, I will attempt to describe the career of a "bloody good race mechanic."

(Ken Hyndman )

John McKechnie
04-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Sounds like another great Ken story coming up, neat..............

khyndart in CA
04-13-2016, 08:15 PM
Graham adjusted well to living in England and Belgium preparing cars for VDS including McLaren M10 A,M10 B, M18/22 during the 1972 European F 5000 season. Here is a photo of the VDS McLaren F5000 M18/22 that was built by the Trojan Co. but had little success. Teddy Pilette in the cockpit.
(Photo by John Crick )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-13-2016, 09:26 PM
The vehicle that VDS and Graham found to be the most difficult to make a race winner was the very powerful and unreliable Interseries
Can Am type racer for the European season in 1973. With a 7.5 litre Chev. turbo engine the McLaren M 8E began life at Trojan Works and was greatly modified by VDS along with the engine by "Morand" of Switzerland. It was a powerful beast bravely driven by the very talented Teddy Pilette. As previously mentioned Teddy was very diplomatic when questioned about this car he would say it was "terrific"
but what he really meant it was a combination of the car's handling / braking being "terrible and horrific !"
I think between the M 22 and the M 8E turbo the VDS team got tired of the Trojan products and went on to greater success with the Chevron B 24 etc. in F 5000.
I did get to help Graham load up the M 8E Turbo from it's last visit to Trojan Racing.
(Ken Hyndman photo )
It was a magnificent looking machine when it was running !
(Paul Kooyman photo )

If you look closely you will note that every attempt was made to assist the driver when driving this beast !

(Ken Hyndman scrapbook )

khyndart in CA
04-13-2016, 09:41 PM
June 1973.
It was not always long hours and hard work.
Hyndman and Donaldson enjoying some strawberries on the hills near Goodwood as we took a drive to the south coast of England on a beautiful summer day out, in the old Morris Minor. (983 ELD).

(K Hyndman photo )

gokiwi
04-14-2016, 06:50 AM
Top left picture
A very selfish "amatuer" race mechanic photo, driver/owner by right rear wheel, mechanic sat in cockpit "resting"

khyndart in CA
04-14-2016, 06:01 PM
The 1973 Rothmans European F 5000 season was one of the best and the winner was not decided until the last race at Brands Hatch.
The title went to Graham and the VDS Team with Teddy Pilette driving the Chevron B 24.
This photo was taken at the Snetterton track in October 1973 with Graham leaning over the engine of the Chevron driven by Chris Craft. Count van der Stratten is walking in from the left and Teddy Pilette is making an entrance in the back ground.
(Ken Hyndman photo )

All Graham's efforts were rewarded in the end of the 1973 season by winning the championship. Soon after that they packing up and heading off to NZ & Aus. for the 1974 Tasman Series with the strong team of Teddy Pilette and Peter Gethin. The Tasman winner was Peter Gethin in his VDS Chevron B 24.
Graham even took time out from his busy schedule to visit my brother out on the family farm in Kiwitahi and that was most appreciated.
(From Motor Racing Year. 1974 Edition)

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-15-2016, 07:16 PM
During his time with VDS from 1972 to 1975 Graham had the opportunity to work with some of the best designers and engineers at that time in racing. At Trojan it was with Ron Tauranac (RALT) and Patrick Head (Williams) at Chevron it was Derek Bennett ( who sadly died in a hang gliding accident in 1978. Later with Lola Cars he worked with the amazing Eric Broadley who is now almost 90 years old.
Towards the end of the 1975 F5000 season Graham left VDS to join up with Sid Taylor and Teddy Yip of (Theodore Racing) and they had the very promising driver, Tony Brise, to drive a very trusty Lola T 332. It was not a very sharp looking car but Tony said it was one of the best handling cars he had driven. The last British race at Brands Hatch was Tony's first F5000 drive and he amazed everyone by leading until slowing due to a puncture and he finished second to Alan Jones.
(Photo from "The Lost Generation" book)

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-15-2016, 07:47 PM
September 1975. Long Beach.
Graham was excited to be at Long Beach for the Inaugural F5000 race. Tony Brise was not even mentioned when the first previews were written which suited the Theodore Team so they were not bothered by too much media attention. I had the opportunity to join in as "goffer" and it was an extra treat when Graham Hill joined in as he watched his protégé, Tony Brise over the weekend. Away from the track it was a real bonus to listen to Graham Hill, Sid Taylor and Teddy Yip bantering and having fun.
Graham pushing the Lola as Sid Taylor looks on. # 64 may not have had the prettiest wings or wheels but it could fly !

Graham Donaldson with # 64. In the background Graham Hill observes alongside Janet Brise.
(Hyndman collection)

Tony Brise would have won the main race but a half shaft broke a few laps from the end. Hill was so excited after the race about the future for Tony in Formula One and he also offered a job to Graham to be on the Hill Embassy F1 Team for the coming season.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-15-2016, 09:17 PM
October 1975.
After a F5000 race at Laguna Seca the last race for that season was at the Riverside course near Los Angeles.
Due to running low on fuel toward the end of the race the Theodore Lola did not finish as well as we had all hoped.
Tony Brise prepares for the start at Riverside. Graham Donaldson and Julian Randles are looking on at the left as Teddy Yip checks his watch and cleans the windshield.
Almost exactly a month later Tony would be killed in the plane crash that wiped out the Graham Hill Embassy Team.

( Ken Hyndman photo.)

khyndart in CA
04-15-2016, 09:40 PM
29th Nov. 1975.
Graham Donaldson needed to find suitable accommodation in London before the next season and winter testing of the new GH2 Hill F1car. So Graham stayed behind while the rest of the team went to France for testing otherwise he would have been on this tragic trip back to London from France in horrible weather.
Here are some reports of that day.
(Everyone in this publicity photo died in the crash. )
("The Lost Generation" book excerpt )

This Wikipedia report states there was a lot of mistakes regarding the Hill plane which made it even harder on those family and team members who survived including Graham Donaldson.

"On November 29, 1975 returning from the Paul Ricard circuit, France, Hill was killed when the Piper PA 23-250 Turbo-Aztec that he was piloting (not registered, but displaying its previous cancelled US registration N6645Y) crashed near Arkley golf course in London, while attempting to land at Elstree Airfield at night, in foggy conditions.[15] The crash also resulted in the deaths of team manager Ray Brimble, mechanics Tony Alcock and Terry Richards, up-and-coming driver Tony Brise and designer Andy Smallman; all from the Embassy Hill team.[16] At the time of the accident Hill’s aircraft, originally US-registered, was “unregistered and stateless”. His US pilot certification had expired, as had his FAA instrument rating. His UK Private Pilot’s Licence Instrument Meteorological Conditions rating, which would have permitted him to fly passengers in the visibility that prevailed at the time of the accident, was also out of date and invalid.[15] The Independent stated he was effectively uninsured.["

(Ken Hyndman )

Ellis
04-16-2016, 10:41 PM
The vehicle that VDS and Graham found to be the most difficult to make a race winner was the very powerful and unreliable Interseries
Can Am type racer for the European season in 1973. With a 7.5 litre Chev. turbo engine the McLaren M 8E began life at Trojan Works and was greatly modified by VDS along with the engine by "Morand" of Switzerland. It was a powerful beast bravely driven by the very talented Teddy Pilette. As previously mentioned Teddy was very diplomatic when questioned about this car he would say it was "terrific"
but what he really meant it was a combination of the car's handling / braking being "terrible and horrific !"
I think between the M 22 and the M 8E turbo the VDS team got tired of the Trojan products and went on to greater success with the Chevron B 24 etc. in F 5000.
I did get to help Graham load up the M 8E Turbo from it's last visit to Trojan Racing.
(Ken Hyndman photo )
It was a magnificent looking machine when it was running !
(Paul Kooyman photo )

If you look closely you will note that every attempt was made to assist the driver when driving this beast !

(Ken Hyndman scrapbook )

Pics of car in Australia .....

The first pics are on its arrival in Tasmania in2014 direct from Hockenheim to be serviced for its new owner...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMG_2163_zpskovvdd1n.jpeg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/IMG_2163_zpskovvdd1n.jpeg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMG_0863_zpszbxtsgfs.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/IMG_0863_zpszbxtsgfs.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMG_0864_zpsiy5btb1u.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/IMG_0864_zpsiy5btb1u.jpg.html)

Still included with the spares are the twin turbos
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMG_2168_zpshdsk3e6i.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/IMG_2168_zpshdsk3e6i.jpg.html)

Car has 2 complete body shells...a Red and a Black
Pics (from web) are from Phililp Is Historics 2016
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/image.jpg_zpsn3kfmyfy.jpeg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/image.jpg_zpsn3kfmyfy.jpeg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/12809766_10207763430231241_3182105877898918923_n_zpspxzsm2kb.jpeg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/falcongtho/media/12809766_10207763430231241_3182105877898918923_n_zpspxzsm2kb.jpeg.html)

Ben Henson (LHS) of Ben Henson Motorsports is is charge of the spanners

khyndart in CA
04-19-2016, 07:46 PM
After the tragedy Graham gathered his things and headed out to Australia with the Theodore Team and prepared the # 64 Lola T332 that was originally for Tony Brise to drive and was now in the capable hands of Vern Schuppan. The team won the 1976 Rothman Series in Australia which again was testimony to Graham's meticulous preparation. # 64 was now so well known that a model was created that has now become a collectors item.
Vern Schuppan at work in # 64 Lola T332

photo of 1/18 model of # 64

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Graham and Theodore Racing brought the # 64 Lola T332 (HU 37) to the US for the 1976 USAC F 5000 season with Alan Jones as their driver. Alan won one of the early races at Mosport Park in Canada in June and then July 1976 he crashed the car during practice at Watkins Glen in New York state and I think that is the last time dear old HU 37 was raced.
Here is one last photo of the car as it comes around on the warm up lap at Mosport alongside,Brian Redman, Danny Ongais, Jackie Oliver, US F5000, Mosport, 1976.

(pic.twitter.com photo)

Here is a listing of the field that day. Theodore Racing # 64 (HU 37 )won against a very good field that day.
She went out in style !

SCCA/USAC F5000 Championship Round

Mosport Park, 20 Jun 1976

Results

Laps

Time/Speed

1 Alan Jones Lola T332 [HU37] - Chevrolet V8
40 52:25.883
112.53 mph
2 Jackie Oliver Shadow DN6B - Dodge V8
40 52:26.673

3 Teddy Pilette Lola T430 [HU1] - Chevrolet V8
40 52:59.254

4 Danny Ongais Lola T332 [HU54] - Chevrolet V8
40 53:10.672

5 Warwick Brown Lola T332C [HU55] - Chevrolet V8
40 53:15.614

6 Vern Schuppan Eagle 755 [01] - Chevrolet V8

7 Randy Lewis Lola T332 [HU39] - Chevrolet V8

8 Brian Redman Lola T332C [HU56] - Chevrolet V8

9 Bob Lazier Lola T330/T332 - Chevrolet V8

10 John David Briggs Lola T332 [HU50] - Chevrolet V8

11 Tuck Thomas Lola T332 [HU38B] - Chevrolet V8

12 John Benton Lola T330 [HU26] - Chevrolet V8

13 Horst Kroll Lola T300 [HU15] - Chevrolet V8

14 Eppie Wietzes Lola T400M [HU9] - Chevrolet V8

15 Bob Nagel Lola T332 [HU33] - Chevrolet V8

16 Richard Shirey Lola T332C - Chevrolet V8

17 Arlon J. Koops Lola T330 [HU20] - Chevrolet V8
Retired
18 Geoff Davie March "741" [73A/3(B)] - Chevrolet V8
retired
19 Peter Gethin Chevron B37 [37-76-01] - Chevrolet V8
(see note 1) Retired
20 Sam Posey Talon MR-1A - Chevrolet V8
Retired
21 Bert Kuehne Lola T300 [HU10] - Chevrolet V8
retired
22 Greg Hodges Eagle - Chevrolet V8
Retired
23 Steve "Yogi" Behr Lola T330 [HU19] - AMC V8
Retired
DNQH John Gunn Lola T332 [HU47] - Chevrolet V8
Did not qualify from heats
(20th in Heat 1)
DNS Graham McRae Lola T332 [HU46] - Chevrolet V8
Did not start
DNSC Bill Baker Lola T332 [HU41-2] - Chevrolet V8
Did not start (crashed)

All cars are 5-litre F5000 unless noted.

(oldracingcars.com results)

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-20-2016, 09:42 PM
The next Theodore Lola T332C was chassis # HU61 and it was the new # 64 and painted white and Theodore emblems.
Graham prepared this car for not only Alan Jones but also Derek Bell during the season.
Alan Jones had some success but the Riverside USAC race in October 1976 was to be the last sanctioned F5000 race in the US.
This Victor Oliver photo captures the two Australians, Alan Jones in his Theodore # 64 T 332C and Warwick Brown in his VDS Lola T 430 # 2, going at it on the back straight at Riverside.
(Victor Oliver photo )

The Lola T332C # HU61 has been beautifully restored and is owned at present by the Davison family in Australia.
(Chris Nicholls photo )

( Ken Hyndman )

Dale Harvey
04-20-2016, 11:04 PM
The Lola T332C # HU61 has been beautifully restored and is owned at present by the Davison family in Australia.
(Chris Nicholls photo )

( Ken Hyndman )[/QUOTE]

The Lola is now owned by the Berryman family and Driven by Tim Berryman.
Dale.

khyndart in CA
04-20-2016, 11:18 PM
Thanks Dale,
I should stick with the old information such as "at one time it was owned by .... "

Ken.

Bailey
04-21-2016, 01:11 AM
(Chris Nicholls photo )

( Ken Hyndman )

The Lola is now owned by the Berryman family and Driven by Tim Berryman.
Dale.[/QUOTE]

I think you'll find that the Davison/Berryman T332 is HU34 that was new to Guy Edwards in the UK.
HU61, which is the car pictured driven by Alan Jones next to Warwick Brown in the T430 at Riverside,
was badly crashed in Australia by Jones, during the 1977 Rothmans series, and was replaced with
HU34 for Jones to continue in that series at Sandown and Adelaide etc Theodore owned HU34 as
well at that time HU34 stayed in Australia, as it was purchased by Jon Davison
HU61, which was a T332c, wasn't repaired, and didn't run again

khyndart in CA
04-21-2016, 04:33 AM
Geez,
I should stick to the past and not the present !
Not only did I get the owner wrong I also described the wrong car !
Sorry folks.
Perhaps I got confused when I saw this !

"Six Lola F5000 Tubs Discovered in Michigan " (Sports Car Digest. March 2011)

( Ken Hyndman )

Dale Harvey
04-21-2016, 06:26 AM
Geez,
Sorry folks.

( Ken Hyndman )

Never mind Ken, your photos and stories are still appreciated.
Dale.

khyndart in CA
04-22-2016, 05:51 AM
This is what makes it so hard to write about Lola (HU 61).
So who is correct ?

http://www.f5000registry.com/lola.html

has this comment.
" Make: Lola
Model: T-332C
Year: 1976
Chassis: Lola HU61
Engine: Chevy 5 Litre

Transmission: Hewland DG 300

Owner: Marc Rauchfuss

Previous Owners: Theodore Racing - Teddy Yip

Racing History: Car ran for the first time at Road America in August 1976 driven by Derek Bell who was substituting for Alan Jones. Jones drove car in one additional race in 1976. Car later appeared at Surfers Paradise in Australia in 1977 where it was crashed during practice. Marc Rauchfuss currently restoring the car to original specifications to return it to historic racing in the Formula 5000 U.S. Revival Races.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-22-2016, 05:40 PM
It does seem that Alan Jones was pretty harsh on two of the Lola T 332 chassis that he drove but he was able to carry on and move on to the Williams F1 team where he had wonderful success in the early eighties.
This reminded me of when I tried to get some wealthy business men here in Santa Barbara, CA to take the step to purchase this FW 07 (# 1)Williams back in 1987 and I was going to have Patrick Head authenticate the car before it came over here. They almost did go ahead and then thought it was not a very good investment with comments of " who wants to watch old Grand Prix cars trundle around"!
If only they could have realized just how popular this racing is here now I think this would have been a wonderful investment.
We are starved for Formula One action here in the west coast.

( Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-22-2016, 06:03 PM
1st Long Beach race weekend. Sept. 1975.
Some parting shots of Graham Donaldson, Tony Brise and # 64 Lola T332 (HU37)
Julian Randles and Graham Donaldson tend to Tony's Lola under the watchful eye of Theodore Team owner, Teddy Yip. On pit lane, Shoreline Drive, Long Beach. CA.
(Julian would later be a partner on the Theodore team.)

(Hyndman talking to Tony Brise about life in San Diego.)

Pushing Tony in the Lola to the start .L to R; Graham Donaldson, Teddy Yip, Kerry Agipou, K Hyndman & Sid Taylor.
(Apart from Hyndman it was a very good team !)
Years later Al Unser signed my only copy I had of this scene and Al said he had been so impressed with Tony here at Long Beach that he felt sure he would go on to greatness.
Also signed by Don Nichols whose Shadow F 5000 car is in the background.

(Ken Hyndman collection )

Bailey
04-23-2016, 01:48 AM
This is what makes it so hard to write about Lola (HU 61).
So who is correct ?

http://www.f5000registry.com/lola.html

has this comment.
" Make: Lola
Model: T-332C
Year: 1976
Chassis: Lola HU61
Engine: Chevy 5 Litre

Transmission: Hewland DG 300

Owner: Marc Rauchfuss

Previous Owners: Theodore Racing - Teddy Yip

Racing History: Car ran for the first time at Road America in August 1976 driven by Derek Bell who was substituting for Alan Jones. Jones drove car in one additional race in 1976. Car later appeared at Surfers Paradise in Australia in 1977 where it was crashed during practice. Marc Rauchfuss currently restoring the car to original specifications to return it to historic racing in the Formula 5000 U.S. Revival Races.

( Ken Hyndman )

Ken, It seems that HU61 did very few races, besides the above, it also did the Rothmans round at Oran Park
in Alan Jones hands prior to the Surfers round.

The Rauchfuss T332 was put together by Alan McCall in the 80's. It is unclear as to how it became HU61

Bailey
04-23-2016, 01:58 AM
Geez,
Sorry folks.

( Ken Hyndman )

No worries Ken, you certainly have some good stories to tell The Long Beach F5000 race looks like it was a great event to
be at Tony Brise sure went well there, passed Mario Andretti more than once, not many people did that in F5000 in 1975

re the six T190 tubs in Michigan, I was told that they became 6 T70 Lolas, made in Michigan

khyndart in CA
04-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks Tony,
You will not be forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiSY0huKkkg

Ken & Graham

khyndart in CA
04-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Graham stayed on in California working for the Dan Gurney AAR team based in Orange County where he gained wonderful experience working with people such as Phil Remington known as the master of all fabricators. Graham said he was such a humble man to work with but also very tough and when you read some of these sites you will see why. He was still working even after turning 90 yrs. old !

http://allamericanracers.com/a-tribute-to-a-legend-phil-remington/

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/features/a4708/features-magazines-features-the-life-of-phil-remington/

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-26-2016, 10:56 PM
Dan Gurney and Teddy Yip were good friends and Teddy raced the Gurney Indy cars for different drivers including the female driver Desire Wilson in 1982 but sadly another driver Gordon Smiley died in a practice session and the same sponsor for both cars withdrew from the event.

(Wilson during Indianapolis practice 1982 in Gurney Eagle for Theodore racing )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-27-2016, 07:02 PM
I got to meet Desire Wilson in 1999 when I was working at a BMW dealership and each year when the new models were introduced some of us would go to a track / parking lot somewhere in Southern California to test drive / hammer and compare the latest BMWs against the competition. I rode with Skip Barber and 4 others in a BMW 325 E in 1986 around the old Riverside course and entering the
Turn 9 corner I kept thinking the brakes had failed but Skip made it look easy and was chatting throughout !
Desire Wilson was at the Fontana Track and we did a slalom course in the parking lot. No one else seemed to know who she was but when I started talking about NZ.(She drove in the Pacific Series in 1980 ) Rugby and racing. (Teddy Yip and Theodore) she was very friendly and told me how to use my feet and not drive like an "old lady"!
( So even though I got bit off course I decided to enter my Desire Wilson story. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIJPw1RakIE

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Graham Donaldson went to Macau several times and always enjoyed being a guest of Teddy Yip who basically ran the whole place !
Teddy Yip was one of the main forces behind the Macau Grand Prix back in '70s and 80s, leading the Grand Prix to be one of the world's most famous motor racing events. The Macau Grand Prix parties he hosted for many years at his home also became a central part of the social aspect of the Grand Prix.
Many current or former Formula One drivers have participated in the event early in their careers and some of them have won the prestigious prize. Famous winners include Riccardo Patrese, Ayrton Senna, Michael Schumacher, David Coulthard, Ralf Schumacher and Takuma Sato.
In 1983, it was decided by the organizers that since Formula Pacific was becoming obsolete, the race would be held as a Formula Three event. Initially, they wanted to run a F2 race, but as they were unwilling to make any large circuit modifications, which included cutting down trees, the organizers decided to adopt Formula 3 cars for the feature race and it was sanctioned by FIA as the F3 World Cup title race. At the same time, Yokohama Tire was officially designated as the sole supplier of control tires for the competitors.
A young Ayrton Senna won the first Macau F3 race driving for Teddy Yip in a Ralt RT3-Toyota. 1983.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-28-2016, 09:07 PM
As we went our different ways Graham would join up with different teams and I will list some of them after California he moved to Michigan where he was involved with ; Doug Shierson and Howdy Holmes plus Tom Gloy, Tom Foster, Norm Hunter and Alan Berg in Formula Atlantic. He also spent time with Formula 2 teams in Mexico with Oscar Hidalgo and Rafael Martinez.
I remember catching glimpses of him at the IMSA GTP and Indy Cart races when he worked on cars for Geoff Brabham at "Kraco"
Nissan with Bob Earl and Chip Robinson and Geoff in the GTP ZX Turbo and later with the Hotchkis Race Team with driver Jim Adams.
Graham went on to work alongside renown engine builder Larry Slutter at the Toyota racing engine department "TRD" where he would be for 20 years before finishing his working days and has now begun a well earned retirement.
Here is a glimpse of some of the race cars that Graham Donaldson was involved with.
(1984 Portland CART race. Graham is on the right checking the rear area of Geoff Brabham's KRACO March 84C in which he would finish second the next day. ... photo Bill Wagenblatt)

(Geoff Brabham at speed. Portland. 1984. ..Bill Wagenblatt photo )

1990_Chip Robinson & Geoff Brabham shared this Nissan GTP NPTI for a win at Miami.

(Jim Adams, John Hotchkis at Daytona in the Porsche 962/ 72 Turbo prepared by Graham. 1989 )

This is where Graham worked developing the Toyota engines to being the best in many types of racing.

http://www.trdusa.com/

Well done Graham. You came a long way from being an apprentice in Rotorua.
You probably did not want to take all this credit, you humble buggar, but you were regarded as one of the best and if I had not put this out there for others to read I don't know who would have.
Now go relax and share this with your family and grand kids.
"You did a bloody good job, mate !"
(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
04-29-2016, 10:55 PM
When I was in Sydney in 1970 one Saturday, I was downtown looking in the shops and walking past me was Graham Baker who I recognized from seeing him at Pukekohe. We started talking and he suggested that I go out to David Mckay's Ferrari dealership to see if they needed a mechanic, but they were not interested in someone from Morrinsville with lawnmower and Land Rover experience !
Graham also suggested that I stop in and see Wally Wilmott who was starting a performance workshop in Woolloomooloo and Wally was friendly but was busy at the time and soon after I left Sydney to go back to NZ. But I was grateful for Graham Baker's suggestions.

I recently read that he had had some health issues and I wondered if any of you could give an update.

He and his family have certainly been popular in the Houston, Texas area with what they have done with the Houston Motorsports Complex.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry (center) recently welcomed the 2010 NASCAR state championship contingent to his office in Austin. From left are Houston Motorsports Park owner Graham Baker, Texas champion Joe Aramendia, Perry, Joe Aramendia's wife Carolyn Aramendia, and Houston General Manager and Promoter John Mandabach. Texas Governor's Office

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-03-2016, 10:33 PM
I do not know how it is today but back in the sixties and seventies many NZ mechanics would finish an apprenticeship and head off to be involved in racing in all parts of the world and most would gain valuable knowledge and then return while others would stay away and do very well. One of those would be John Nicholson who grew up in Wanganui and helped run his father's engine rebuilding business before moving to the Wellington area where he started out in racing at the same time as Graham McRae.
I remember seeing John drive his Lotus 27 around Pukekohe and finish the 1968 NZGP in ninth place and this was only his seventh race overall which included Chris Amon and Jim Clark in their prime !

I have this album photo of the 1968 NZGP grid waiting while Denny Hulme is presented a prize to celebrate him being the 1967 Formula One world champion. The ill fated Laurence Brownlie Brabham is in the foreground and if you look closely you can see John Nicholson's pit area in the background. (Between L.Brownlie and D.Oxton )

(Jan. 6. 1968)

(Ken Hyndman ) p.s. Could any others in this photo be identified please.

khyndart in CA
05-03-2016, 11:04 PM
In 1969 John had made his way to England and due to lack of funds he did not race but instead got a job at McLaren's where he used his engine building knowledge to help George Bolthoff build the 1969 Can-Am engines and he also spent some time in the States, based in Detroit. When he came back to England, Bruce McLaren used Nicholson's driving ability to do some of the initial testing of the M8D Can- Am car.
Bruce then needed someone to build the Cosworth DFV Formula One engines and after some brief training with Cosworth, John had the very important job of being responsible for McLaren's F 1 engine program. This was to lead to John branching out and establishing the best Cosworth DFV engine business.
Nicholson McLaren Engines (NME) was founded in 1972 by John Nicholson to maintain the Cosworth DFV engines for McLaren Racing.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-04-2016, 07:09 PM
July 1973. Silverstone.
After the British F 1 Grand Prix had finished their was a brief shower and then the track dried out for the last event of the day which was the Formula Atlantic Championship race. I had met up with a group of fellow Kiwis from the "Trafalgar Club" and I thought I would impress the women present with my knowledge of motor racing and even though there had been the big F1 crash started by Jody Scheckter and the big saloon car crash involving the Dave Mathews Capri that day, I told them that racing was getting safer and to come into the stands that were getting empty, for a good view of the start. Also in the field were 3 Kiwis; John Nicholson, David Oxton and Jim Murdoch. Plus cars built by Nicholson;the Lyncar-Nicholson for John and David Oxton and Alan McCall built Tui BHs for Murdoch and Tom Walkinshaw. The field also included future F1 drivers ;Tom Pryce and David Purley (who just two weeks later would bravely try to save the life of Roger Williamson ) plus John Nicholson.
Anyway we all settled in at the grandstand after the start and as the cars accelerated past us three of the first five cars touched and one cartwheeled past us and pieces were flying everywhere. It was a scary moment for all of us but fortunately no one was hurt. But the girls in our group had had enough and left me to watch the race alone!
It was an exciting race won by John Nicholson that day from Colin Vandervell, Geoff Friswell, David Purley and David Oxton was 5th.
So John Nicholson built engines won the Formula Atlantic race and Peter Revson's F1 winning McLaren M 23 also had a Nicholson built Cosworth DFV engine. This was a good day for John.
Even though the NZ "chicks" deserted me, I enjoyed it also!

A very talented Formula Atlantic field.

(Hyndman scrapbook pics)

(Ken Hyndman )

05-04-2016, 07:32 PM
Ken,
the lyncar was not built by nicholson but by martin slater of lyncar.

khyndart in CA
05-04-2016, 08:05 PM
You are correct.
I think that all Lyncars were powered by Nicholson built engines.
One thing I did have correct is that the girls did get up and leave me in the grandstand that day. (I was shattered !)

At least I have found someone that reads what I enter and I thank you for that.
Ken.

Howard Wood
05-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Ken,
the lyncar was not built by nicholson but by martin slater of lyncar.

Martin Slater's Lyncar operation primarily supplied race car components but built around 14 cars in total including Formula 1, F Atlantic and Sports Cars. Martin must have had a soft spot for NZers, after the cars driven by Kiwis John Nick and David Oxton, he invited John Anderson and I to build and race the prototype of his next F Atlantic car which he planned to put into series production.

khyndart in CA
05-04-2016, 09:35 PM
2009. H&H Auction information.
Sale Date: 14th March 2009

1972 Lyncar Formula Atlantic

Ex-John Nicholson

Sold For £11,550

Chassis Number: 003
Cc: 1598
Body Colour: White/Green

A talented designer whose career progressed from the building and racing of his own Formula Junior cars to working for Lola, Brabham and March, Martin Slater decided to create a chassis with which to contest the 1971 British Formula Atlantic Championship. Aided by Graham Coaker, one of the original March directors, the resultant machine was named after Slater's wife Lyn and Coaker's spouse Carol (hence Lyncar). Impressed by the results Mike Endean (later of XTrac) achieved with Lyncar 001, New Zealander John Nicholson (of Nicholson-McLaren engine fame) decided to become the fledgling marque's second customer and later collaborated with Slater on a Formula 1 project (Lyncar 006) which debuted at the 1974 British Grand Prix. Still going today, albeit no longer manufacturing cars, Lyncar can apparently help with spare parts.

H&H are indebted to the vendor for the following description: "John Nicholson began the 1972 British Formula Atlantic Championship with Lyncar 002 but replaced it with this particular example, Lyncar 003, after a heavy crash at Brands Hatch (though, he still finished third in that year's Yellow Pages sponsored standings). For 1973 the New Zealander acquired sponsorship from Bruno Drury of Pitch Plant and 003 was reconfigured with a full-width nose, wider front track and larger rear wing. Despite taking victories aboard 003 at May's Silverstone event (where he also set the fastest lap of 1min 25.9sec) and July's British Grand Prix meeting, Nicholson switched to the narrow track 005 thereafter. The results he achieved between the two chassis were enough to secure him the 1973 BP Formula Atlantic Championship. The car's second owner, Martin Steele, bought it from Bruno Drury / John Nicholson in July 1974 and fitted a Lotus Twin-Cam engine that he already owned. Between 1974 and 1982 Steele ran 003 in forty-five sprints and hillclimbs. While, his substitution of a Ford BDA engine for the Lotus `Twin-Cam' during 1977 saw the Lyncar returned to its `Atlantic' specification. Overhauled by Swindon Racing Engines in 1985, the BDA unit failed on its debut post-refresh outing at Silverstone. Returned to Swindon Racing Engines for another overhaul in 1987-1988, it has not been used since. The car is extremely original and comes with a spare top cover. It has never been damaged in any way. The colour scheme is Jaguar British Racing Green and White which is the same as when it raced in 1973. The car has had only three owners and has been carefully stored over the last twenty-one years".
(One can see the fine workmanship that went into the Lyncars in these two auction photos.)
It would have been a good purchase at that price I would think. This car has some pedigree.

(Ken Hyndman )

Howard Wood
05-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Continuing the NZ mechanics (and part time drivers) theme, off the top of my head NZers who drove a Lyncar during the '70s included John Nick, David Oxton, Phil Sharp, myself,and Don Halliday. Plus working in key areas Kiwis John Anderson and Bill Robinson both of whom were ex McLaren's at some point of their career.
Bill ran Emilio de Villota's Aurora series McLaren M23 and Lotus 78 out of a corner of the Lyncar factory in Reading.

khyndart in CA
05-05-2016, 05:37 AM
John Nicholson although busy with a very successful engine building business, still found time to enter Formula One in a Lyncar chassis # 006 during the 1974 and 1975 seasons. He did not have much success but you have to admit, it is a good looking car.

John Nicholson at Brands Hatch in 1974 in Lyncar # 006

(Ken Hyndman )

GD66
05-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Brambilla chasing...:cool:

Ken are you aware of the identity of the kiwi mechanic(s) who worked on Brambilla's car ? Thinking of a tall blonde bloke from Tauranga, possibly named Peter...answers on a postcard....

ERC
05-05-2016, 07:14 AM
Recent books I have read include Tony Robinson's (BRP Mechanic); then "Tales from the Tool Box"; plus the book by Di Spires "I only Made the Tea".

Most enjoyable read was Di Spires (who was in hospitality for about 30 years) and sadly, the least enjoyable read was probably "Tales from The Toolbox", which could have been presented so much better, but is a broad collection from many race mechanics. Informative though.

Apparently, the late Geoff Manning had many tales from his days as an F1 mechanic and I'm not sure whether or not Tony Herbert managed to record them for prosperity.

Oldfart
05-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Max Rutherford's story is a great read, a must for every true Kiwi enthusiast IMHO

Grant Ellwood
05-05-2016, 09:47 AM
Continuing the NZ mechanics (and part time drivers) theme, off the top of my head NZers who drove a Lyncar during the '70s included John Nick, David Oxton, Phil Sharp, myself,and Don Halliday. Plus working in key areas Kiwis John Anderson and Bill Robinson both of whom were ex McLaren's at some point of their career.
Bill ran Emilio de Villota's Aurora series McLaren M23 and Lotus 78 out of a corner of the Lyncar factory in Reading.

I think ex-FVee/FFord driver Warren Ellery also spannered on the Villota team.

Michael Clark
05-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Two gems from Geoff Manning that instantly spring to mind -

First that he was fired and re-hired in the space of an hour by Graham Hill one morning, but more significantly for me was his advice 'If you want the good stories, ask the mechanics'

khyndart in CA
05-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Thank you gentlemen for mentioning Geoff Manning. Although I never met him he must have been a fine man and an excellent mechanic and was a major reason for the location of Hampton Downs.
This photo is from his collection in the "50 Years On Track" book.
(Check those in fashion bell-bottoms...Hey I still have a pair for the kids to laugh at !)
(Looks like Geoff is doing all the work. I think the guy on the counter should have been the one fired by Graham Hill ! )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-05-2016, 10:56 PM
Speaking of good NZ race mechanics, I was looking at two photos I had taken at a F5000 race at Silverstone in August 1973.
In the background are two gentlemen who I believe to be Joe Wright and a young Dick Bennetts. They were part of the David Oxton crew that day.
(Please correct me if I am mistaken... )

(Ken Hyndman photos )

ERC
05-06-2016, 12:53 AM
Barbara Manning donated a Corgi Model of the Graham Hill car to us, which I purchased in the auction, and also a couple of other bits of memorabilia.

Geoff was a lovely guy and yes, he was the one who really found the site(s) for Hampton Downs, whilst walking his dog, 'Connaught'!

What many may not know, is that the original HD site as discovered by Geoff, was closer to the dragway and the river, but was scuppered at the 11th hour when the Maori elders wanted a clause that gave them the right to have the land reinstated to as it was, in 70(?) years time, at which point, they moved on to the current site.

I may have the facts a little wrong, but that is basically as I understand it. Sadly, Geoff passed away before the vision was realised, but he'll never be forgotten and Barbara presents the 'Volpini Trophy' to the winner of the Classic Trial series, annually.

HD deserves a corner named after Geoff. 'Manning Mount' sounds so much better than 'Turn 3'.

khyndart in CA
05-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Allan McCall was another NZ mechanic who went to England and did very well in motor racing. Two things that I have in common with Allan is that we both attended the 1959 NZGP at Ardmore and we both applied for jobs at Team Lotus in Hethel,Norfolk, England. There the similarities end as Allan was hired by Lotus and I was not. He like Graham Donaldson served his apprenticeship in NZ.(John W Andrews in Auckland ) before heading overseas by ship in 1964.
With his typical Kiwi welding skills and phoning Colin Chapman direct ! (I never tried that !)
Allan was hired by Lotus to work on the Lotus Cortina in 1965 for Jim Clark to drive. There are many images of Jim driving the wheels off that car which is what happened at Brands Hatch when a wheel did come off one time and that did not please Mr. Chapman !
Note the stress on the wheels !
Jim Clark at Brands Hatch.1965. Lotus Cortina. ( JTW 497C )
(Photo from Allan McCall collection )

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-09-2016, 07:53 PM
In 1967 Allan was part of the Lotus Team that produced one the best Formula One cars of all time with Jimmy Clark and Graham Hill driving the Lotus 49 powered by the Ford Cosworth DFV engine. It was a winning combination from it's very first race at the Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort. Later in the year Jim Clark won the USGP at Watkins Glen where Allan was his mechanic.
Allan preparing the Lotus 49s for the 1967 USGP at Watkins Glen.

The Lotus Team celebrating after Jim Clark's win in 1967 USGP.
Allan McCall at lower right.

(Ken Hyndman ..scrapbook )

khyndart in CA
05-09-2016, 10:52 PM
I was familiar with Allan McCall's work for Lotus and when I went to Baypark at the end of December 1967, with a female friend and being full of knowledge, proceeded to tell her that the driver there that day racing was Jim Clark's own mechanic and cheered him on until a nearby spectator stated; "You dumb s..t, that is Allan McCully from Southland driving that car !" Once again Hyndman is humbled and has to shut up !

Here is the other Allan who was also an excellent driver.
(Allan McCully at Teretonga. 1968 )

KJH

Grant Ellwood
05-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Ken, I have an Allan McCall-built Tui BH3 in my workshop, prepping it for sale. The monocoque is a real work of art, typical of Allan's fastidious engineering.

khyndart in CA
05-10-2016, 10:41 PM
It was after the 1967 USGP at Watkins Glen that Allan was asked by Phil Kerr to come to McLaren's to look after Denny Hulme's Formula One car and be involved with the Can Am cars as well. Bruce and Allan had a lot of respect for each other and Bruce was most supportive when Allan wanted to move out and build and drive his own car, the Tui.
Photo from Allan's collection

Allan McCall in an early Tui.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-11-2016, 08:42 PM
I do not think Allan McCall came to NZ with the Lotus Team but I saw this piece written by Peter Windsor that gives an idea what a fun time these drivers had when they came out to NZ and Australia.
This event is right after Bruce had almost overtaken Jim Clark on the 2nd lap of the 1965 NZGP at Pukekohe at the Hairpin but unfortunately they had touched and both retired which was a big disappointment to all of us spectators there that day.

"Tuesday, Jan 11 1965

Somewhere between Auckland and Levin They’re in a convoy, Bruce, Patty McLaren and Phil Hill in their Morris 1100, Jim in the Zephyr. They stop in a lay-by to stretch their legs. Patty swaps places and slides in next to Jim. Bruce pulls away then stops at the edge of the lay-by to watch his race cars pass by, towed by a pick-up. Jim and Pat are chatting away, talking about this and that. Jim fails to notice the stationary Morris. He plows into the back of it. The damage isn’t serious and so they continue on their way, Jim suitably admonished. Not long afterwards they stop for fuel. They all pile into the kiosk for drinks and sandwiches. “Say, that 1100 sure takes an awful lot of gas,” says Phil, peering out at the Morris. “She’s still drinkin’ it in…” “Or not,” replies Bruce, walking swiftly towards the bowsers. “Look at this, Clark! The fuel’s just pouring out the bottom of the tank! You smashed the fuel tank!”

(Peter Windsor )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also got to talk to Chris McAllister who owns and drives a wonderful collection of cars in present day historic racing here in the US and beyond. His collection includes Denny Hulme's 1971 McLaren M8 F and also Jim Clark's 1967 Lotus 49. He really admires those drivers and said that he can sling the M8 F around with ease but to drive like Jimmy seems unreal to him.
I think Allan McCall and Jim Clark were a great combination back in 1967. This photo from Silverstone, 1967, is one of my favorites of a master at work. (It may not have been the most efficient way to go but it certainly looked good.) (Ken Hyndman )

Jim Clark and Allan McCall setting up the Lotus 49 at Silverstone. 1967
(Getty images photo )

(Peter Windsor photo )

khyndart in CA
05-12-2016, 05:46 PM
Allan was working at McLaren's when the terrible news came that Jim Clark had died during a Formula Two race at Hockenheim in Germany. This was a harsh time in motor racing and too many drivers lost their lives and especially someone as great as Jim Clark.
Bruce was a big help to encouraging Allan to expand beyond the team and go out and build his own race cars. Bruce showed his true kindness by letting Allan have a lot of redundant F2 M4 and F1 M7 wheel and suspension parts and Allan quickly produced a very well built car the "Tui". The first one was the Tui AM 1 (AM for Allan McCall). Throughout this time he also helped Bruce McLaren with Can Am and with the valuable experience of being with Lotus at Indy in 1966 was now a big help with the McLaren Team at Indianapolis in 1970.
(My personal memory of that time was seeing the news of Denny Hulme suffering burns during practice in the M15 Indy car and Chris Amon did not like driving there and I had a premonition that something was going to go wrong during the race and I was relieved when the results came in and nothing had happened to the McLarens, so it was a complete shock when the news came a few days later that Bruce had died at Goodwood after returning from the USA. A moment you never forget . )

Allan with the McLaren Team at Indy 1970.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Allan McCall and NZ driver Bert Hawthorne teamed up in 1971 to do the Formula B series in North America in the Tui AM 1.
They won 3 out of 5 races and just lost out to winning the championship.
Allan felt Bert had a tremendous future and built a new car along with Leda for the 1972 European Formula 2 series for Bert and John Watson to drive.
I know I was looking forward to getting to England and watching a F2 race as the fields had many current and future F1 drivers at the time.
The 1972 Tui-Leda was a good looking car and to me looked similar to the McLaren M 21 F2 car driven by Jody Scheckter that season.
McLaren F2 M 21. 1972

Tui-Leda F2. 1972

( Ken Hyndman )

Grant Ellwood
05-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Ken, my memory is a shocker so please correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Bert killed a year after Jim Clark's death, same track, same corner? Allan McCall started using the letters BH in the Tui model numbers thereafter in memory of Bert.
I met Bert Hawthorn at a meeting at Timaru, think it was the weekend after the Teretonga Tasman round in 1967.
Also saw Gary Sprague's chopped-top Anglia there and was so impressed by the shape that when I got back home to Levin I took a hacksaw to the roof of my Anglia. I was 17 at the time so almost 50 years later memories are a bit sketchy although I find a Pinot helps a lot!

khyndart in CA
05-12-2016, 10:09 PM
Grant,
I was just about to put in material about Bert Hawthorne. He died in April 1972 and Jim Clark was 4 years earlier in April 1968.
How ironic and sad that it was at the same track and same corner and that Allan McCall was such a part of their success.
That Hockenheim circuit was fast, isolated and brutal on the back side. Jim Clark, Bert Hawthorne and Patrick Depailler all died in the same area. Apparently it took 2 laps during the 1972 practice session before Niki Lauda reported to the pits that there were 2 cars crashed and on fire and why was no one attending the scene. It seems incredible that it would be that isolated and unattended.

KH

khyndart in CA
05-12-2016, 11:39 PM
April 3 1972.
Bert Hawthorne drove in this race and did well against some very well known drivers.
XXVII B.A.R.C. "200" 1972
II Jochen Rindt Memorial Trophy
European Championship for Formula 2 Drivers, Round 2
III John Player British F2 Championship, Round 3
Thruxton Circuit, Andover, Great Britain

Driver, Nationality Entrant Car - Engine/Tuner Chassis Cyl
vol Tyre Laps Time Reason Out
1 1 22 Ronnie Peterson, S STP March Engineering March 722 - Ford BDF/Cosworth 722-17 1927 GY 50 1:00'19.4"
2 2 44 Francois Cevert, F Elf Coombs Racing March 722 - Ford BDA/Brian Hart
DNS Elf II (Alpine A367) - Ford BDA 722-4 1860 GY 50 1:00'44.0"
3 3 23 Niki Lauda, A STP March Engineering March 722 - Ford BDA/R.E.S. 722-5 1927 GY 49
4 4 48 Patrick Dal Bo, F Banting & Earle Racing Team Pygmée MDB17 - Ford BDA/Pygmée MDB17-372 1790 48
5 5 11 Claudio Francisci, I Elcom Racing Team Brabham BT38 - Ford BDE/Novamotor BT38-13 1790 47

6 DNF 25 Gerry Birrell, GB Sports Motors (Manchester) March 722 - Ford BDA/Brian Hart 722-1 1860 GY 38 Head gasket
7 DNF 52 Bert Hawthorne, NZ Leda Engineering Leda-Tui AM29 - Ford BDA/Brian Hart AM29-BH-1 1850 46 Fuel pick-up
8 DNF 1 Graham Hill, GB Tate of Leeds (Racing) Brabham BT36 - Ford BDA/Felday BT36-1 1973 30 Overheating
9 DNF 31 David Purley, GB Lec Refrigeration Racing March 722 - Ford BDA/R.E.S. 722-10 1927 29 Oil pipe
10 DNF 7 Richard Scott, GB Uniacke Chemicals Brabham BT38 - Ford BDE/Geoff Richardson BT38-23 1790 GY 28 Accident
11 NC 8 Peter Westbury, GB FIRST Brabham B36 - Ford BDA/Felday BT36-5 1973 28 Running
12 DNF 51 Peter Gethin, GB Chevron Racing Team Chevron B20 - Ford BDA/Alan Smith B20.F2.1 1790 F 26 Overheating
13 DNF 14 Jean-Pierre Jaussaud, F Ecurie A.S.C.A. Brabham BT38 - Ford BDA/Brian Hart BT38-18 1860 F 23 Camshaft
14 DNF 28 Jean-Pierre Jarier, F Shell - Meubles Arnold Team March 722 - Ford BDE/Novamotor 722-28 1790 18 Oil pressure
15 DNF 53 Jody Scheckter, ZA Bruce McLaren Motor Racing Ltd McLaren M21 - Ford BDF/Cosworth M21-1 1927 GY 11 Overheating
16 DNF 9 Dave Morgan, GB Edward Reeves Racing Brabham BT38 - Ford BDA/David Wood BT38-20 1790 F 4 Head gasket

Bert Hawthorne driving Leda-Tui AM 29/1 in 1972.

( Ken Hyndman )

Terry S
05-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Ken, you you recall why "Leda" was incorporated in the car's name?

khyndart in CA
05-13-2016, 08:39 PM
After the devastating loss of Bert Hawthorne, Allan McCall carried on ,developing the career of John Watson who will always be grateful to Allan for all his help. They worked well together first with the Formula 2 program and later in 1974 John drove a Brabham in Formula One for Hexagon of Highgate with Allan as his mechanic / manager.
Allan McCall preparing John Watson for 1972 F2 race at Imola.

John Watson in Leda-Tui BH 2-02 (all Tui cars had a BH designation in honor of Bert Hawthorn after he died.)
followed by Niki Lauda. Imola. 1972
(photos by Jutta Fausel-Ward.)

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Ellwood
05-13-2016, 09:41 PM
Ken, you you recall why "Leda" was incorporated in the car's name?

Leda did production runs for Allan McCall, the Tui SuperVee in my shop was one of about fifty built by Leda and sold in the USA according to notes that came with the car. Some of Graham McRae's F5000 cars were built by Leda apparently and my notes say that Graham and Allan were working on their respective cars in the Leda shop at the same time. I hope the notes are accurate!

khyndart in CA
05-13-2016, 09:54 PM
In 1974 Allan McCall and John Watson again teamed up for the "Hexagon of Highgate" Team from North London for the Formula One season. This is a clipping of the presentation with Allan on the right by the Brabham BT 42.

Watson at speed during a 1974 F1 race.

(Ken Hyndman )

khyndart in CA
05-13-2016, 10:07 PM
In 1973 I used to go to F5000 races and John Watson was driving then also for Hexagon in one of our Trojan T 101 cars.
I will probably be banned by TRS for this story but the crowds at Brands Hatch were amused by the track announcer saying;

" John Watson is driving hard with his Trojan as he slips through on the inside entering Bottom Bend !"

(John Watson slipping through on the inside at Brands Hatch. 1973 )

If anyone knows Mr.McCall please thank him as he did a lot of good for the sport and I learned a lot about him as I did this thread. As with Graham Donaldson " A very good job well done" and I hope you can now enjoy many fine years of retirement.

And on that note I am going to check out for a while until I can raise my standards up once again !
(Ken Hyndman )

Terry S
02-21-2017, 04:17 AM
In 1973 I used to go to F5000 races and John Watson was driving then also for Hexagon in one of our Trojan T 101 cars.
I will probably be banned by TRS for this story but the crowds at Brands Hatch were amused by the track announcer saying;

" John Watson is driving hard with his Trojan as he slips through on the inside entering Bottom Bend !"

(John Watson slipping through on the inside at Brands Hatch. 1973 )

If anyone knows Mr.McCall please thank him as he did a lot of good for the sport and I learned a lot about him as I did this thread. As with Graham Donaldson " A very good job well done" and I hope you can now enjoy many fine years of retirement.

And on that note I am going to check out for a while until I can raise my standards up once again !
(Ken Hyndman )
I have just seen that Allan McCallhas has died. No other details known.

duncan fox
02-21-2017, 05:40 AM
I have just seen that Allan McCallhas has died. No other details known.

Alan McCall suffered complications several days after a triple bypass operation.

Another great all rounder Kiwi leaves us.

Milan Fistonic
02-21-2017, 05:46 AM
I have just seen that Allan McCall has has died. No other details known.

From today's NZ Herald.

khyndart in CA
02-21-2017, 08:47 AM
I was saddened to read of Allan's passing. I am glad we got to put in a bit about his achievements when we did on this thread last year.
That "Racing Club Above" is filling up too quickly but I can imagine these old mates are telling some good stories together.
Jimmy and Allan worked well together.
Two of the very best at what they did. 1967 at Silverstone, 50 years ago.

R.I.P.

(Ken Hyndman )

Grant Ellwood
02-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Great fellow, outstanding engineer, quiet achiever. R.I.P Allan.

khyndart in CA
09-22-2017, 11:34 PM
Sad news regarding John. That club of old NZ racing drivers and mechanics is growing way too rapidly.
RIP John.
I am glad we put some words together about John last year.( posts 58 to 66 )

( Ken Hyndman )