PDA

View Full Version : MIA: Mike Bish Suzuki Fronte

Steve Holmes
05-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Another from our Facebook page, posted by Nigel Bish, searching for his dads old race car. Maybe someone here can help, or has some pics they can post here that might job the memory? See below:

"My dad, Mike Bish built a Suzuki Fronte in the mid to late 80's as a Hillclimb/circuit racer.
It was a follow on from his Z1000 Kawasaki powered Bambina that was campaigned with much success by himself in hillclimbs and then Richard Armstrong at Mystery Creek rallycross.

"The Fronte had a 6 cylinder Z1300 Kawasaki mounted transversely in the rear which ran a shaft into a chaindrive then back into an Isuzu Ballet diff to drive the rear wheels.

"It was originally in a hacked about but mostly original Fronte, then he scratch built a space framed monster from a Fronte Tub, with the rear end cage and suspension layout based loosely on the works Peugeot 205 Rally cars of the era. This new look car debuted at the Nissan Mobil 500 in Wellington then went on for a few years at Baypark and Pukekohe etc in the Sports Sedans category. It was rapid and handled well but used to run bearings due to still having a wet sump and the bike motor not liking cornering without leaning over!

"Dad retired from racing in the early 90's and the car languished unused for a number of years before he gave it to me. At the time I was totally into racing bikes and ended up breaking it up to fund tyres and whatnot.
It was probably 1996 when I sold the motor to Neville Payne from Kihikihi as he was a Z1300 nut, the rolling chassis however went to a guy in Hamilton who was intending to put a Subaru motor in it and drag race it. I never heard or saw of it again.

"It had a steel tub, pillars and doors, a fibreglass front, fully rose jointed rear end and Fiat front struts as rear suspension. The brakes were all Aeroquip, the wheels were 3 piece Halliday racing items, 13 inch from memory.

"I'd really like to know if it is still lying around somewhere, who knows - it could be a neat thing to restore.

"Contact me at: shapeshifter4993@gmail.com

Cheers"

Steve Holmes
05-03-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks to Michael Smit who shared these cool pics of what is believed to be the car referred to above.

warricklevis
05-04-2016, 05:21 AM
Could be this car. Used to race Taupo Winter Series. From memory it had a 3SGE in the back. Based in Ngaruawahia I believe.

John McKechnie
05-04-2016, 07:31 AM
I remember a little light bronze Suzuki like this running at Baypark in about 1974 at the club meets.
Ran on slicks and really quick, until it hit the barrier the last corner.
Is this the same car from then or have there been several ?

Rod Grimwood
05-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Pretty sure they are 2 different cars

Raced with Mike at Taupo (the old track) and it was quick and nibble. He gave it heaps.

seaqnmac27
05-05-2016, 10:45 AM
I think have seen the other one I think you are thinking of Rod, on a different thread on here.