PDA

View Full Version : Geoghegan & Sons Ashfield - where did they advertise? Tracking a 1963 Alfa Sprint

Geoffrey Cotton
12-25-2016, 08:29 AM
I'm trying to identify a gap in the ownership of my 1963 Alfa Giulia Sprint 1600 coupe (= Giulietta body + Giulia 1600 mechanicals). The car was delivered to K N Rudd Ltd (Ken Rudd - Ruddspeed - big Healeys, AC Aces, Alfas, Astons) in the UK in February 1963 and sometime after came to Australia, supposedly as a Mildren import. Earliest verified Australian record I have is a receipt for sale on 8 November 1966 from Geoghegan & Sons, Ashfield. At that stage the car carried registration no. EFP164 (probably a 1966 issue number) and was painted blue (pic below isn't accurate colour). Brian Foley owned the car early-mid 1970s and painted it silver. The second pic (provided by Brian) shows the car & him at Amaroo Park, circa 1975. As far as I know the car has no competition history apart from when I ran it in a couple of hill climbs 1n 2007.

I'm hoping that someone will know how & where Geoghegans advertised their secondhand cars in 1966 and that this may help tracking earlier ownership.

The car appears to be the only remaining one of two factory RHD Sprints i.e. a prototype. Although Rudds were Alfa factory-approved RHD converters, it seems the only work they did on this car was to fit it with a professionally-moulded fibreglass dashboard top.

Any leads wil be most welcome.