PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Historic Racing Cars Book

Steve Holmes
07-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Folks, I'm about to start work on a new book and would like your input.

The book is about historic racing cars that have NZ history. It'll cover both single seaters, sports cars and saloons, and I would say anything older than 30 years old.

The book will be around 200 pages long, which means if each car gets from 4 - 8 pages, there will be space for approx 30 cars. Also, photos need to be a consideration. It needs to be visual, so if a car is featured I need to be able to pair it up with photos so its not just text. Both current and period photos, if the car still exists.

The cars can be NZ built, or international but with NZ history. Doesn't matter if they're still in NZ or have since gone overseas, but they do need to have been either NZ owned, or spent a reasonable amount of time in NZ. Also, they need to have had NZ race history when new, or newish, rather than cars that have since been purchased by Kiwis for historic racing.

I'd be keen to know what cars you think should be included. Please list your preferences below.

Thanks in advance.

Roger Dowding
07-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Steve,

Obviously not trying to redo a Graham Vercoe, book , which we know had lots of incorrect information , but was the first real attempt to get a huge amount on paper..
As you have seen have many photo's but all pretty amateur as mainly taken with Box Brownie type cameras and the odd borrow of a Leica .. happy for you to borrow any I have put on TRS ..

As far as Cars .. The Fleetwood Mustang, The Morrari, [ Allan Dick did a good article on it recently ].. Custaxie .. a Begg or two .. sports cars in particular .. and the Stantons various cars ..

Good Luck and Cheers

Roger D ..

TonyG
07-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Cuda FF and Cuda Pacific cars. Nazer Victor, PDL Mustangs, Sidchrome Mustang, Fahey Mustang (In Bowden Collection), Halliday Capri.
Any Begg as mentioned by Roger D, are there any Mcrae's still in NZ ? on the fringes of your description Dennys McLaren F1 and if still in NZ any of the Can Am's of same.

Allan
07-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Sounds like a great idea. Some race cars had many owners and even more drivers, the Begg FM2s springing to mind here. Another interesting group are the National Formula cars of the sixties that went on to become the early Formula Fords and in some cases sports cars. You have my collection of photos so please feel free to use them as you wish. Allan

Grant Ellwood
07-03-2017, 11:14 AM

The Peter Bennett A40 Allcomers car is still in mint original condition and visiting some US tracks to add to it's CV.

Swannie
07-05-2017, 06:42 AM
And here is a picture of Peter Bennett's A40 fin the pits at Levin.44274

khyndart in CA
07-05-2017, 07:08 AM
Those reversed headlights add a nice touch !

John McKechnie
07-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Swannie- do you have a date for this Levin meeting please?

Swannie
07-05-2017, 07:21 AM

Sorry I don't have an exact date but it would be around 1965 or 1966.

The photos are part of my late fathers collection that I have just had converted from slides to a digital format. Other photos in the collection all appear to be around the 65-66 period.

John McKechnie
07-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Fantastic that you have them, and that they have survived in such neat condition, certainly look forward to seeing the rest when you have the time to post.

Milan Fistonic
07-05-2017, 07:52 AM

Peter Bennett's Lotus Farina was number 91 at the Levin meetings in November 1966 and January 1967.

Steve Holmes
07-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Thanks so much everyone who has posted. This is really great stuff, and interesting to get peoples opinions.

Before creating this thread I had created a small list of cars. They include:

Begg FM5 (Oxton)
Capri RS2600 (Fahey)
Ferrari 256 (Hoare)
Ferrari LM (Buchanan)
Maserati 250F (Amon)
McLaren M8A
Custaxie

I wasn't sure if I should include the McLaren, as it didn't actually race in NZ. This isn't a requirement for the book that the cars raced in NZ. What do you folks think? Should it have NZ racing history?

Kwaussie
07-05-2017, 10:47 AM
You may be interested in the potted history of the HWM that came to New Zealand in 1954.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20929/lot/328/

Few more photos here.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/hwm-tasman-grand-prix-car-1952.325605/

GD66
07-05-2017, 12:25 PM
There is info a-plenty on the Hoare Ferrari in David Manton's book of surprises. :cool:

Grant Ellwood
07-05-2017, 09:24 PM
Peter Bennett's Lotus Farina was number 91 at the Levin meetings in November 1966 and January 1967.

Quoting from the archival Twenty Year History of the Levin Motor Racing Circuit 1956-1976 published by Lance Hastie - "In the Allcomers handicap, JR Chrystal from Taihape lead most of the way in his MG powered Austin A50 from Dick Sellen's Mini. The sensation of this race was Peter Bennett in the very attractive looking Lotus powered Farina. He came through from the back of the grid, clocking one lap at 56.4 seconds for an outright saloon record. The result put him in third ahead of Dickie Butter's Anglia"

I'm guessing that time was a shade quicker than the Custaxie and faster than Dave Sinpson's twin cam Anglia lap record set the previous year. Perhaps Milan can confirm that for us!

Grant Ellwood
07-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that was the November 1966 meeting at Levin.

Swannie
07-05-2017, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the Milan

Swannie
07-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Thanks for that Grant, will have to try and get hold of the book.

Grant Ellwood
07-06-2017, 12:41 AM
Hi Swannie, that book is invaluable, there were obviously a lot of contributors, I think the main ones were Murray Carkeek and John Climo. I know when I turned the pages it brought back a lot of personal memories of my connection with the Levin circuit.
I first started spectating there in 1964, I was 14 and drove my dads Ford V8 well-side truck to Levin from Foxton minus a licence or permission of course. While at high school at 13 I had started reading UK Autosport magazine so knowing F1 heroes Jim Clark etc were going to appear at Levin,nothing could keep me away. That was a great era and I have great regard for all the racing personalities of those days, many still with us and many gone.

07-06-2017, 01:03 AM
Steve, a thought for you. If you split your book into two sections, one for imports and the other for local builds, it may be easier to write and use

RogerH
07-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Are you intending to go back to some of the successful NZ built specials of the 50s - likes of Lycoming Special, Stanton Special, GeeCeeEss etc?

tonttu
07-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Thanks so much everyone who has posted. This is really great stuff, and interesting to get peoples opinions.

Before creating this thread I had created a small list of cars. They include:

Begg FM5 (Oxton)
Capri RS2600 (Fahey)
Ferrari 256 (Hoare)
Ferrari LM (Buchanan)
Maserati 250F (Amon)
McLaren M8A
Custaxie

I wasn't sure if I should include the McLaren, as it didn't actually race in NZ. This isn't a requirement for the book that the cars raced in NZ. What do you folks think? Should it have NZ racing history?

My tuppence worth is NZ domiciled, there were/are so many interesting cars here - you can read about a M8A in many different books unless you have something new and ground breaking on it.
cheers

Tonttu

John McKechnie
07-06-2017, 09:03 AM
I agree, no other writer would do a book on NZ cars except an NZer.

Roger Dowding
07-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Are you intending to go back to some of the successful NZ built specials of the 50s - likes of Lycoming Special, Stanton Special, GeeCeeEss etc?

There they are, photos of mine from Dunedin in 1984 .. have a better photo of the Cropduster.

Steve Holmes
07-08-2017, 01:04 AM

Thanks again everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

Hi Roger, yes I am most definitely intending to including NZ specials. They form the backbone of NZ racing history and are the ultimate definition of the term 'Kiwi ingenuity'.

Steve Holmes
11-18-2017, 10:49 PM

Hi Roger, do you still own the GeeCeeEss?

ERC
11-19-2017, 03:29 AM
Good call Steve. If I can assist with any photos, I will, but as I only came to NZ beginning of 1983, photos will of course be later.

I think Roger owns the Herrick A40 Special. Wasn't aware he has/had the GeeCeeEss - but keeping up with some people is nigh impossible!

Steve Holmes
11-19-2017, 04:58 AM
Thanks Ray, I'd like to include a couple of Sports Sedans in the book. Am thinking possibly the Ian Munt Alfetta and Graeme Addis Charger. By the 1980s, Sports Sedans were really the modern version of the 1950s New Zealand special, where creativity wasn't stifled by regulations, and these two were amongst the most creative.

Roger Dowding
11-19-2017, 05:38 AM
Thanks Ray, I'd like to include a couple of Sports Sedans in the book. Am thinking possibly the Ian Munt Alfetta and Graeme Addis Charger. By the 1980s, Sports Sedans were really the modern version of the 1950s New Zealand special, where creativity wasn't stifled by regulations, and these two were amongst the most creative.

Steve, Graeme Addis, posts quite a lot on Facebook on various Motorsport forums,has has put up a few photos of his Charger,you could connect with him through Facebook if you haven't already .. cheers Roger D

John McKechnie
11-19-2017, 06:41 AM

Would love to see some pix of this Ian Munt Alfetta...could someone post some please as i seem to missed it in my travels

Steve Holmes
11-19-2017, 07:30 AM

Sorry, that should read Ian Algie. Blame sleep deprivation.

ERC
11-19-2017, 07:35 AM
At least I have a few of that car - and the Addis Charger from the early '80's! and more recently.

Michael Clark
11-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Steve, I had a minor involvement in the Algie Alfa. Let me know if there is anything I might be able to assist with - probably not personally but I might know people who can answer any questions.

RogerH
11-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Yes - I've owned the GeeCeeEss for the last 10 years although Don Suckling has driven it.

ERC
11-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks Roger. You learn something new every day!

Steve Holmes
11-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Hi Roger, many thanks. Would you mind if we featured the GeeCeeEss in the book?

RogerH
11-20-2017, 04:48 AM
Hi Roger, many thanks. Would you mind if we featured the GeeCeeEss in the book?

Yes that's no problem Steve. I'm in the process of getting it back from Don Suckling and I'll then undertake a refurbishment back to 1952 format with Ardun heads on the Flathead.

Trevor Sheffield
11-20-2017, 10:28 AM
Yes that's no problem Steve. I'm in the process of getting it back from Don Suckling and I'll then undertake a refurbishment back to 1952 format with Ardun heads on the Flathead.

The GCS is a very important treasure in respect of Kiwi motor sport and personifies all of that was the grass routs of an important era. The car and its creator deserve a full chapter in any book.

But it is important that he GCS is not beautified to a degree that will conceal its down to earth nature, so illustrative of the Kiwi attitude. It was created crude as a result of necessity but wa/is a model of absolute basic common sense and as a result was certainly effective. The car had/has presence.

When I last was close to it, I pointed out a missing essential and very important accessory, i.e. a length of binder wire permanently attached to the dash support, used to positively hold the lever in second gear no matter what. As soon as second gear was engaged during a hillclimb, a twitch around the gear lever prevented any possibility of lost engagement, as was a common ongoing problem which could be fixed but not reliably trusted.

Furthermore the plug leads were not tied onto the plugs with string, as was George’s well proven time honoured practice. And I don't think the single substantial webbing ex WW2 aircraft lap belt was in use or the spring leaves bound with rope in order to dampen movement. George in spirit was somehow sadly absent.

George Smith, in spite of usually appearing in oil stained overalls, was a gentleman and a true sportsman, as well as a down-to-earth dedicated engineer. Ralph Watson understood his motives and held him in high regard as a man of real purpose, and strange as it may seem, they had a lot in common and a quietly undisclosed mutual admiration.

I have fond youthful memories of an occasion leaving the Orange dance hall at night to encounter George, backing out from his small workshop in his just acquired glistening Allard J2. Envy was writhing inside of me. However the Allard with its split front axle proved to be a disappointing treacherous beast and did not successfully supersede the faithful old GCS, which did not mislead the driver when right on the limit and could be over driven accordingly. The Allard was not and never became George’s kind of weapon.

RogerH
11-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Thanks Trevor - the GeeCeeEss will be refurbished NOT restored. It was a great car and when running properly it was virtually unbeatable in the early 1950s. I am determined to keep it in the format that George ran it - it was never a Beauty Queen but most of the time it ran pretty well and George was always playing with different engine (and cooling) configurations and not too fussed about how it looked. It will certainly not end up looking better than it was. I know where the original Ardun heads are but they are not available so I am getting some out of the US.
Although the car is remarkedly original, I'm keen to get as many photos of it in the 1951-1953 period so that I can ensure that all the little bits and pieces are correct - for example the dashboard. While I have a number of photos any photos would be appreciated.

ERC
11-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Originality before my time in NZ of course, but just in case anyone is wondering, a pic from 2010.

Trevor Sheffield
11-21-2017, 01:10 AM
In its heyday I can not recall the GCS ever having telescopic shocks rather than lever type. However I do remember the shrunk on binder twine wrapped springs, as was often used during the thirties when George commenced his motor sport. The origins and design of of the car emanate from, Brooklands, Indianapolis, Western Springs Speedway and number eight wire common sense, all being combined to build a tool/weapon for a brave driver. The GCS was never intended to be driven with constant adhesion in a straight line and I'll bet it is still great fun to drive and may it remain so. LOL

PS. Please, please leave all the exposed working parts unpainted and with only a dark oily make-up. Currently it is blushing red and sad. George should be allowed to RIP.

RogerH
11-21-2017, 08:13 PM
In its heyday I can not recall the GCS ever having telescopic shocks rather than lever type.

I have a number of period photos of the GeeCeeEss showing telescopic shocks front and rear although it is possible that George tried lever shocks initially - the photos of it immediately following construction are side on and the shock configuration is hidden.

Milan Fistonic
11-22-2017, 01:50 AM
In this shot of the GCS it appears to have telescopic shocks on the back.

Steve Holmes
11-22-2017, 02:19 AM

Thanks Roger, I really appreciate that. Would you mind sending me an email when you get a chance please: theroaringseason@gmail.com I'm not sure I have your correct email address.

Trevor Sheffield
11-22-2017, 07:22 AM
In this shot of the GCS it appears to have telescopic shocks on the back.

The photo very clearly shows the substantial lap belt the details of which which I remember very well, and in addition the lack of front telescopic shocks. A debate will not go amiss. LOL

P.S. After enlarging the image, careful examination shows that there is a merging of a reflexion and the bottom of the historic number "44". However, as a physical fact I am one eyed and could be wrong.

It was also usual to have only one shackle on the traverse springs free, with the other rendered rigid so as to improve the lateral location of the axles and in theory the choice of end can effect under/oversteer.

Cheers, Trevor.

Steve Holmes
11-23-2017, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys. I'd like to feature approx 6-8 NZ built specials in the book. Other than the GeeCeeEss, which would you recommend? Keep in mind I also need to be able to get a good supply of period photos.

Milan Fistonic
11-23-2017, 01:56 AM
The Northland Special must be included.

Trevor Sheffield
11-23-2017, 02:49 AM
Thanks guys. I'd like to feature approx 6-8 NZ built specials in the book. Other than the GeeCeeEss, which would you recommend? Keep in mind I also need to be able to get a good supply of period photos.

Congratulations Steve,

Please stay with and it get in touch regarding economical ways to produce and publish the book. I can give you some good tips.

Strange as it may seem, it should include Gordon Brown's Ford Ten Special. No, not a high performance item, but the forunner and insperation for what became an extremely popular trend, as should be pointed out in relevent descriptive text. A local sports car magazine now many years defunct, carried a very good article on the car some seventy years ago. Put out a signal and try to locate a copy.

Would you believe, as was reported in the magazine, Gordon as a young family man, fitted a makeshift blade to its front end in order to grade the just laid lawn, when a first home owner. Real do it yourself stuff. In those days your new house when purchased, lacked everything in respect of the dirt it was built on, except for a very minimal, legally defining bouindry fence.

Cheers, Trevor.

Spgeti
11-23-2017, 03:25 AM
There is a great write up on the Northland Special on the Northland Car Club’s website written by Brian Skudder.
If you need his contact details I can give them to you Steve.
Glad Fred is still with us.

Milan Fistonic
11-23-2017, 05:41 AM
Congratulations Steve,

Please stay with and it get in touch regarding economical ways to produce and publish the book. I can give you some good tips.

Strange as it may seem, it should include Gordon Brown's Ford Ten Special. No, not a high performance item, but the forunner and insperation for what became an extremely popular trend, as should be pointed out in relevent descriptive text. A local sports car magazine now many years defunct, carried a very good article on the car some seventy years ago. Put out a signal and try to locate a copy.

Would you believe, as was reported in the magazine, Gordon as a young family man, fitted a makeshift blade to its front end in order to grade the just laid lawn, when a first home owner. Real do it yourself stuff. In those days your new house when purchased, lacked everything in respect of the dirt it was built on, except for a very minimal, legally defining bouindry fence.

Cheers, Trevor.

Is this the article Trevor?

Trevor Sheffield
11-23-2017, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=Milan Fistonic;62507]Is this the article Trevor?

Unfortunately no.

However it illustrates very well the economic restrictions confining the design of the car, which of necessity resulted in a very versatile approach. Very. very few cars arrived at a race meeting or speed event on a trailer in those days and no sponsors were in sight. It would not have been the done thing for the car to have been branded with Brown and Nuttall livery.

Oldfart
11-24-2017, 09:31 AM
What is the "cow horn"/ stock car bumper in post #43?

Steve Holmes
05-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Just an update on this book. Its coming along well, and at this stage there are 15 cars in the book. They include:

McLaren M8A
Begg FM5
Leda LT27/McRae GM1
Graeme Addis Charger
Jack Nazer Victor
Peter Bennett Lotus A40
Ferrari 256
Paton Ford
RA Vanguard
Capri RS2600
GeeCeeEss Special
Lycoming Special
PDL Mustang
Custaxie
Rod Coppins T/G Firebird

So far I've written around 60,000 words. I'm trying to focus on cars that are either NZ specials (including single seaters, sports cars, or saloons), or cars with a strong NZ flavour.

What I'm after is photos of any of these cars in period, in particular, Ferrari 256, Lycoming, Paton Ford, RA Vanguard, GeeCeeEss Special. Although The Roaring Season has produced some incredible photo collections which are going to help massively with the book, we don't have a lot from the 1950s.

Most of the chapters are completed in rough form, though still need some corrections made. I've yet to write on the Lycoming, Paton Ford, and Bennett A40. Can anyone tell me who owns the Lycoming currently?

I may also include the Ian Algia Alfetta if I have enough space and time. I've been in touch with the cars current owner who has extended an invite to visit him and go through Ian's old scrapbooks etc.

Just a couple more questions for those in the know. Was the Pat Hoare Ferrari a 246 or 256? Its my understanding its a 1960 car, at which time Ferrari had 2.5 litre V6 Dino engines. They had 2.4 engines in 1958 (hence 246), and went to 2.5 engines in 1959/60. But the car is regularly referred to as a 246, including by its current owner.

Also, what was the fate of McRae GM1 chassis 001? This is the car McRae raced in the 1971/72 Tasman Series, raced in the US in 1972, then sold to Dexter Dunlop. Some sources say it was destroyed in a trailer fire in 1974 following the Teretonga Tasman round. Others say it was repaired after the fire, but got 'lost' returning to NZ from the Australian Tasman races.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

05-04-2018, 10:54 PM
no Baker Brother's Herons steve?

Steve Holmes
05-04-2018, 11:01 PM
no Baker Brother's Herons steve?

Its hard to know where to start and stop. The book is only going to be approx 200 pages, which means only around 15 chapters with a good amount of text and photos. I didn't want to do a lot of chapters on a lot of cars with a brief description of each, as Graham Vercoe already did that with his book back in the late 1980s.

There are literally hundreds of cars that are worthy of conclusion, so it makes the decision difficult.

chaindrive
05-04-2018, 11:16 PM
Steve, Hoares Ferrari (ex Phill Hill Italian GP winning car chassis no 0007/ F0788) was originally a 256 according to Mr Nye prior the fitting of Testa Rossa motor and other mods. I may be wrong.

And The Hoare Ferrari.53613

05-05-2018, 12:44 AM
Steve,
fair enough. you are correct about vercoe's book. thanks for the reply

Michael Clark
05-05-2018, 01:18 AM
Ralph Smith is the current custodian of the Lycoming - the last time I saw it was in the Wanaka Wings and Wheels Museum.

khyndart in CA
05-05-2018, 04:54 AM
Steve,
This information on Pat Hoare's Ferrari was on the back of this SHELL card.
It must be correct because it has Pat's signature on it !

(Ken H)

Terry S
05-07-2018, 03:55 AM
Ralph Smith is the current custodian of the Lycoming - the last time I saw it was in the Wanaka Wings and Wheels Museum.

There was a very good and detailed article on the Lycoming Special in the July 2011 edition of the American mag "Vintage Racecar". It included a track test. The article was by Aussie Patrick Quinn.

It was noted that Jim Clark and Bruce McLaren had both driven the car, the latter in a race.

The car has been owned since 1983 by Ralph Smith, as Michael notes.

The car was originally built by Ralph Watson. A book on him titled "Ralph Watson : Special Engineer" was written in 2005 by T.R. Sheffield.

Shoreboy57
05-07-2018, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;65735]Just an update on this book. Its coming along well, and at this stage there are 15 cars in the book. They include:

McLaren M8A
Begg FM5
Leda LT27/McRae GM1
Graeme Addis Charger
Jack Nazer Victor
Peter Bennett Lotus A40
Ferrari 256
Paton Ford
RA Vanguard
Capri RS2600
GeeCeeEss Special
Lycoming Special
PDL Mustang
Custaxie
Rod Coppins T/G Firebird

So plenty of room for volume 2. Looking forward to this book Steve

chaindrive
05-08-2018, 12:34 AM
It would be good to see the Stanton Bros given a mention !

Greg Stokes
05-14-2018, 02:31 AM
Looking forward to the book Steve. If you happen to come across any information or images on the Morrari would you mind letting us know please?

Roger Dowding
05-14-2018, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Holmes;65735]Just an update on this book. Its coming along well, and at this stage there are 15 cars in the book. They include:

McLaren M8A
Begg FM5
Leda LT27/McRae GM1
Graeme Addis Charger
Jack Nazer Victor
Peter Bennett Lotus A40
Ferrari 256
Paton Ford
RA Vanguard
Capri RS2600
GeeCeeEss Special
Lycoming Special
PDL Mustang
Custaxie
Rod Coppins T/G Firebird

So plenty of room for volume 2. Looking forward to this book Steve

Steve this book is in the post to you, cheers
Roger D

Have these as well which may contain stuff for another book - about NZ built cars and others, all from the Sports Car Club of New Zealand.

1989 Edition

1984 Edition

Steve Holmes
07-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Well, I finally got this book completed. It damn-near killed me. I think it came in at over 80,000 words, and was very intensive.

In all, 18 cars are featured. They are:

Begg FM5
Cambridge Monaro
Capri RS2600 (Paul Fahey)
Custaxie
Ferrari 256
GeeCeeEss Special
Graeme Addis Charger
Ian Algie Alfetta
Lycoming Special
Maserati 250F (Southward car)
McLaren M8A
Leda/McRae GM1
Miss Victorious
Paton Ford
PDL Mustang
Peter Bennett A40
RA Vanguard
T/G Racing Pontiac Firebird

The cars chosen weren't necessarily because they were hugely successful, many are there just because they're interesting. I placed emphasis on Kiwi ingenuity, although this isn't the case with every car. There are some glaring omissions, but so many factors come into play, from gathering enough information, to gathering enough period photos. Hopefully, if the publishers can sell enough copies there will be more books to follow.

There are so many people who helped made this happen, from those supplying photos, to period magazine articles, and information for each car. I don't even know where to begin. They're listed in the book!

Anyway, the manuscript is now with the publishers, and they'll start cobbling it together. I believe its due for release later in the year.

But for now, life can start to return to normal!

Roger Dowding
07-21-2018, 03:33 AM
Well, I finally got this book completed. It damn-near killed me. I think it came in at over 80,000 words, and was very intensive.

In all, 18 cars are featured. They are:

Begg FM5
Cambridge Monaro
Capri RS2600 (Paul Fahey)
Custaxie
Ferrari 256
GeeCeeEss Special
Graeme Addis Charger
Ian Algie Alfetta
Lycoming Special
Maserati 250F (Southward car)
McLaren M8A
Leda/McRae GM1
Miss Victorious
Paton Ford
PDL Mustang
Peter Bennett A40
RA Vanguard
T/G Racing Pontiac Firebird

The cars chosen weren't necessarily because they were hugely successful, many are there just because they're interesting. I placed emphasis on Kiwi ingenuity, although this isn't the case with every car. There are some glaring omissions, but so many factors come into play, from gathering enough information, to gathering enough period photos. Hopefully, if the publishers can sell enough copies there will be more books to follow.

There are so many people who helped made this happen, from those supplying photos, to period magazine articles, and information for each car. I don't even know where to begin. They're listed in the book!

Anyway, the manuscript is now with the publishers, and they'll start cobbling it together. I believe its due for release later in the year.

But for now, life can start to return to normal!

Look forward to seeing it Steve .. could be my Christmas present to myself !! :cool:

John McKechnie
07-21-2018, 11:00 AM
Well done on completion Steve, thats a lot of very interesting NZ cars and will make a very impressive tome.
When I get this book, it will be the fourth one by you, I havent got that many by any other single author not even Steven King

Spgeti
07-21-2018, 08:46 PM
Well done Steve, I want a signed copy....

ERC
07-23-2018, 01:35 AM
Me too... Not THAT me too...

kiwi285
07-24-2018, 04:07 AM
Well done Steve, I want a signed copy....

I will be looking to purchase a copy too and to get it signed if possible.