PDA

View Full Version : Levin 1966 Thrills And Spills Footage

Steve Holmes
07-28-2011, 05:31 AM
I don't know how Roaring Season member 'woody' finds this stuff, but somehow he manages to uncover it. Here is a short piece of Youtube footage he emailed me of a few accidents and incidents from Levin in 1966. The footage is pretty shaky, and there is no sound, but its still very interesting. Looks like Lance Hastie was the one who posted it on Youtube. Lance was responsible for producing 'The Twenty Year History of the Levin Motor Racing Circuit' book. You guys will have fun identifying some of these!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUFZyaQjiF8

pallmall
07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Picked up the Rex Flowers and Kerry Grant single seater roll overs in their mix up with Bill Thomasen, that was 1964, also Jim Boyd's roll over against the bank in the Lycoming. I think he did that twice at Levin, the other one at the end of the straight.
Cabbage Tree corner could certainly bite.
And where were the safety cars and red flags? How times have changed!

fastback
07-28-2011, 12:29 PM
It looks like Ron rutherfords neat looking lotus farina also has a big shunt.
Was it rebuilt and who where the past owners?

Steve Holmes
07-31-2011, 03:30 AM
Yes, I was wondering the same thing fastback. Was it rebuilt after this shunt?

David McKinney
07-31-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm not sure at which meeting the accident occurred. But he certainly raced the car all that season

Paul Kirk
09-18-2011, 02:57 AM
Yes, I was wondering the same thing fastback. Was it rebuilt after this shunt?

Yeah it was rebuilt but I don't know if Ron did it or the guy in Ashburton that I bought it off. It had a street 1200 Anglia engine when I got it, and the steering was terrable. The engine was in the standard position but Ron had mounted a rack ahead of the engine in place of the original steering box behind the engine, and had made long steering arms so the tierods would connect, apart from the stuffed up Ackerman, (it had toe IN on turns), the steering ratio was very low and didn't have much lock. I built a 1474cc engine and installed it well back and was able to mount the rack further back and make shorter steering arms to improove the geometry and the ratio and the amount of lock. It was the second A40 and I had and I had a lot of fun with it with various sized ford engines in it, then sold it to Brian Bradshaw in Dunedin but I dont think he raced it much.
PK.

Steve Holmes
09-19-2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks Paul, good info! Do you know where the car went after Bradshaw?