PDA

View Full Version : Book Review Thread

Steve Holmes
08-05-2011, 04:40 AM
I've been asked by a couple of members to start a thread where people can post reviews of motoring and motorsport related books they've read, and share their thoughts with others. This is a great idea, and I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on what they've read, what they recommend, and what they don't.

So have at it boys!

AMCO72
08-05-2011, 05:56 AM
This could be interesting. I have a theory which I want everyone who reads 'theroaringseason' to disprove. It is that guys who collect, restore and drive historic race cars and motor bikes, are not into reading. I asked a guy one day, after unsuccessfully trying to sell him a book that I was sure he would want, whether he could READ....he said..'.I used to be able to'.!!!!!!! And by reading I don't mean workshop manuals. I have hawked good books round swap meets, secondhand bookshops, and auction houses, and I have had, to put it mildly, a luke warm reception. I managed to divest myself of a large number of what I call general titles at auction through Crows Nest Books in Hamilton but you couldn't say I made a fortune. I now concentrate on ONE subject.....the LeMans 24 hour race and even that one subject would be almost impossible to complete. Right, thats enough of that. To start this thread off I have recently read what I consider to be essential reading for all the sort of people who subscribe to this forum. Is the Ron Roycroft story by Scott Thomson. Now I know this is not new, has been out 4 or 5 years, but it really is a history of NZ motoracing from the 50's, until Ron retired in the 60's. Really shows the incredible lengths Ron went to to compete from one end of the country to the other. Includes all the old favourites that we read about here......the GeeCeeEss and lots of others. Plenty of good photos from the family album, mostly b & w. Five hundred pages of absorbing reading. Get it from your local library. Only one problem.....is a very cheap binding and the copy I took out was falling to bits.....a book like this really should have been hard back as it is something you would keep in your collection. Now that's hardly a review in the real sense of the word, but it might start the ball rolling.

pallmall
08-05-2011, 06:15 AM
An interesting comment at the beginnning, which probably is correct as I have a fairly huge motor sport library, but no longer have any classic type cars, or any desire any more to collect, rebuild, or race and show any cars. I very much enjoy and appreciate observing and looking at the work and efforts of others though.
The Scott Thomson book is a must have for a NZ Motor Sport collection, as is his small book on the Dunedin street races.

nzboss
08-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Mark Donohue's "The Unfair Advantage" has got to be one of the most well written motor sport biographies I have read.
You could get a real feel for what Mark was doing (or trying to do), with enough technical information to keep it interesting.
Quite hard to find now, but well worth hunting down.
An absolute classic in my view.
Sam Posey's biography is another good read.
Maybe I am stuck in that era!

Two biographies I am waiting for.....
Jackie Ickx and Roger Penske

bob homewood
08-05-2011, 08:23 AM
Bit of a hard question on the Books ,I guess without being smart I have read my share over the years,yes the Scott Thompson,Roycroft story was a pretty good read and a good addition to the shelves,but the one which I read recently ,I found really good was Kim the Kiwi on the Konig
This is the life story of Kim Newcombe, a little-known Kiwi mechanic who in 1973 came second in the 500cc grand prix motorcycle championship.I found this was a fascinating insight into albeit motor cycle racing ,but you could relate it to any form of motorsport the grass roots engineering and development I am sure many of us can relate to our own pursuits and scarifices of our own branch of the sport. I hope I have not gone of topic here

AMCO72
08-05-2011, 08:39 AM
This was the guy who adapted outboard motor technology to motor cycle use and was really successful. Isn't it amazing how these kiwis at the bottom of the world managed to take on the WORLD and WIN. John Britten was the best known probably, but there are others who need to be remembered.

bob homewood
08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Gerald ,yes a amazing story and one which I reckon every true blooded Kiwi should read ,its a great reflection on our National pride and the can do attitude this country had

thunder427
08-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Bit of a hard question on the Books ,I guess without being smart I have read my share over the years,yes the Scott Thompson,Roycroft story was a pretty good read and a good addition to the shelves,but the one which I read recently ,I found really good was Kim the Kiwi on the Konig
This is the life story of Kim Newcombe, a little-known Kiwi mechanic who in 1973 came second in the 500cc grand prix motorcycle championship.I found this was a fascinating insight into albeit motor cycle racing ,but you could relate it to any form of motorsport the grass roots engineering and development I am sure many of us can relate to our own pursuits and scarifices of our own branch of the sport. I hope I have not gone of topic here

Bob, there is a great short film on this subject,Kim Newcombe,on www.NZ on screen.com...go to 'Watch',then left margine then click on 'sport' ; 'Love,Speed and Loss'(2005); just amazing what Kim achieved in a country where he could hardly speak the language!!!

Also check out .....Circuits of Gold/Ivan Mauger/1987....Grand Prix Downunder/1957.......regards thunder427/MJ:):):)

jim short
08-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Bob, there is a great short film on this subject,Kim Newcombe,on www.NZ on screen.com...go to 'Watch',then left margine then click on 'sport' ; 'Love,Speed and Loss'(2005); just amazing what Kim achieved in a country where he could hardly speak the language!!!

Also check out .....Circuits of Gold/Ivan Mauger/1987....Grand Prix Downunder/1957.......regards thunder427/MJ:):):)

yes a good film his wife and son were at the film opening several yrs. back the strange thing he complained about the corner that killed him the day before, asked for some haybales that was refused, but they put them up after his crash

bob homewood
08-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Another good read I found was Can-Am Challenger by Peter Bryant it tells his personal story,of his career in one of the greatest eras in motorsports history. Bryant started his career as a lowly fabricator in Colin Chapman’s original Lotus Cars workshop. He later became a freelance racing mechanic, until in 1962 he was engaged as a mechanic in Formula 1
in 1964, fate took him to America. It was here that Peter made his mark in motor racing—as the designer of the most successful American-built race cars during the heyday of the Canadian-American Challenge Cup. His cars broke new ground in the use of advanced materials such as titanium, as well as emerging ground-effect technologies. It was an amazing achievement for a guy with no formal training in design or engineering. But Peter overcame these limitations through a ability to learn by doing and an incredible capacity for hard work. He also had a great sense of humour that reveals itself in this story
In all I believe it tells a great story and certainly one that will appeal to those of us that can relate to a working background in Motor Sport

bob homewood
08-06-2011, 12:49 AM
yes a good film his wife and son were at the film opening several yrs. back the strange thing he complained about the corner that killed him the day before, asked for some haybales that was refused, but they put them up after his crash

Yes it was along those lines Jim ,if you read the book it was almost as though they didn't give a dam about the riders safety in those days,Kim was actually part of a group that had decided enough was enough and it was time to do something about it

beowulf
08-09-2011, 09:44 PM
So little time and so many good books to read. I used to read anything and everything about motorsport, but latterly I have become a little choosier. Now I do not waste time on a bad book
One of my favourites is a little book called "By Brooks too Broad for Leaping".A selection of Denise McCluggage pieces she wrote for various automotive magazines. She was an excellent driver as well as a friend of many of the drivers of the time. If you can find a copy grab it.
Bargains are still around. I picked up a copy of "Those Bentley Days" by Hillstead for $30. What the seller didn't know was that there was a newspaper article about the 1930 International Double Twelve-Hour race at Brooklands signed by one of the winners F.C.Clement.

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 08:30 PM
OK, strictly speaking, this book is neither motorsport or historic related, but may be of interest to any petrolhead who enjoys having a nosey inside the garages of fellow car nuts. I finished this book earlier this year, and its due to hit the shelves at the beginning of November, retailing at just under NZ$40.

I travelled around NZ visiting 22 Kiwi hot rodders and 6 hot rod businesses, and took photos of the insides of their garages, at their car and automobila collections, and the general stuff they hoard as enthusiasts. Its 184 pages, all in colour, and God knows how many photos!

Was a lot of fun to put together.

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Some sample photos from the book.

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 08:41 PM

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 08:47 PM

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 08:55 PM

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 08:58 PM

Steve Holmes
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Howard Wood
10-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Its hard not to look at those photos with a mixture of awe and sadness. What madness possesses people that they have so many toys/ projects that even they know they will never get them all finished?

And does that stop any of us from doing the same? Hell no!

The saddest day of my life was cleaning out the Old Man's workshop after he died. A mad inventor, the place was full of projects, half formed ideas and prototypes the history of each one I knew intimately, but they all had to go.

To get the thread back on topic, one of my most treasured books is a battered copy of "The Design and Behaviour of the Racing Car" by Stirling Moss and Laurence Pomeroy from about 1963 which Sir God was kind enough to sign for me. Precious to me but not a thing of beauty! How many such things get tossed as they appear of no value?

HDonaldCapps
10-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Blood and Smoke: A True Tale of Mystery, Mayhem, and the Birth of the Indy 500, by Charles Leerhsen, New York: Simon & Schuster, 2011.

The centennial of the first running of the International 500 Mile Sweepstakes at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Decoration Day, 1911, prompted both attention on that event as well as the inclination to cash in on this occasion with a book that with the right marketing could not only celebrate the first running of the race but also provide readers with something of a mystery story. There was also the hope that Blood and Smoke would be the "definitive" book on the race.

If you wish to read the "definitive" book on this race, dear reader, you should realize that your must continue to wait since this is not that book.

Personally promoted by Leerhsen with the interesting approach of directly marketing the book on several of the "nostalgia" racing fora, Blood and Smoke is really not a "bad" book as much as it is really the sort of book that a sports journalist would write to cash in on a "hot" topic. While Leerhsen is a "good" writer, that does not necessarily mean that his writing is "good" history. While two of the best books on sports that I have read concern racing -- horse racing, that is, Laura Hillenbrand's Seabiscuit and Bill Nack's Secretariat, this is not even close to being in their league.

I challenged Leerhsen on a number of the assertions he made when visiting several of the fora earlier this year. This was obviously not what he was expecting. In several cases I manged to draw his ire and cause his temper to boil a bit. In fact, he basically, left in a huff and refused to engage further any more discussion. I would suggest that a historian would have been both willing and able to better support his assertions and have tempered his hype a bit bit more.

That Leerhsen clearly implies that the true winner of the event was Ralph Mulford in a Lozier -- although he takes great pains to avoid saying so outright (the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" theory of journalism), is not the basic problem with the book. Indeed, one does find much to consider that outcome when the matter is studied, but rather that the less one knows and the less one is interested in the historian's craft, the better the book is. Indeed, for the general public this is probably not a bad read. Often overly melodramatic and not much different than what is too often found in magazines -- sports and otherwise -- as writing these days, it probably suits the crowd it was aimed out -- not automotive historians....

If you find this on the remainder shelf or otherwise deeply discounted, it might be a good buy. I did buy a copy when it came out -- providing Mr. Leerhsen with at least some pocket change and read it several times, noting various points that would be interesting to have seen the references for the source material; no footnotes but "A note on sources" can be found at the end of the book. It begins with, "No truth was injured intentionally in the creation of this work of nonfiction. No quotes are made up, no scenes manufactured." While this might be true, neither does the book do the truth justice.

For the most part, from my perspective, my qualms with the book are as much a matter of interpretation of the material as it is any other issue. As a historian, I take some exception to some of his conclusions as well as how they are presented. However, given that very few with interest in the past of automobile racing are all that terribly concerned with the issue related to a viewing the past as "history," often being more concerned with issues of nostalgia or relatively trivial issues or objects (i.e., the machinery), it is reasonable to assume that the opinion of the majority reading the book would side with Mr. Leerhsen and his view of the event.

Such is Life.

HDC

bry3500
10-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Steve..that's a great looking book...amazing photos!!
The first motor racing book I can remember was one in Dads bookshelf..The Green Helmet,,I remember skipping over the "love stuff" and re reading the racing bit's over and over when I was about 9 years old..Left a lasting impression

Trevor Sheffield
10-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Earlier I did not consider posting within this thread, as I was concerned that I might be regarded as engaging in a form of self promotion. However I now note that Steve has included details of a book he has coming out, so now am no longer shy. ;)

The book Ralph Watson Special Engineer, has proven quite popular and I have been told that it is a good read. There have been four print runs, but there will be no more and only a dozen or so might still be available. Techbooks in Newmarket may have a few left. Price close to $40.00

The venture was in no way commercially motivated and was specifically undertaken and financed on an amateur basis, in order to lastingly record the efforts of an admired friend. As no profit motive exists, quite some time ago I had the book made available on the internet and it comes across very well in this form. As I am not sure how to record a hot address here, you may possibly have to copy and paste. Whatever, if interested go here for free. :D ----

P.S. The Contents page enables you to click and jump to individual sections. You will find plenty of photos and illustrations.

http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net/

http://ralphwatson.scienceontheweb.net/

Trevor.

bob homewood
10-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Trevor ,that book is a excellent read and a worthy one to any collection ,if any one has a chance of still getting a written copy ,I would suggest they do so while there is chance

Malcolm McLeod
01-02-2013, 03:34 AM
The book I am waiting for, which to be honest I DON'T ever expect to see, is a combined biography/autobiography on Nigel Roebuck, Alan Henry, and Maurice Hamilton, with chapters written about each other by each other! The three of them, along with Eoin Young, must know more about Formula One's skeletons-in-closets then even Bernie - and they could write about them so well, too!!!!

thunder427
01-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Steve..that's a great looking book...amazing photos!!
The first motor racing book I can remember was one in Dads bookshelf..The Green Helmet,,I remember skipping over the "love stuff" and re reading the racing bit's over and over when I was about 9 years old..Left a lasting impression

...geat English comedian, Sid James was the Mechanic in the film version......................MJ

ERC
01-06-2013, 08:07 AM
I am a far better reader than mechanic (or driver...).

My earliest stirrings about motorsport were generated via Dad's bookshelf with books such as Birkin's "Full Throttle", and "Bits and Pieces" on Bira. I have a substantial book, magazine and memorabilia collection and frightened myself silly when I opted to value one shelf full of the better book offerings, that include all 3 magnificent books on BRM by Doug Nye and 2 copies of David Weguelin's ERA (both bought by me, with one for Dad).

Some are less valuable but a great read - in no particular order:

"Down the Hatch - Tony Lanfranchi" (hilarious at times...)

"Alf Francis, Racing Mechanic" - Stirling Moss' mechanic

"To Finish First, Phil Kerr" - brilliantly written

"The Other Side Of The Hill - by Bette Hill" - Graham Hill was my car hero alongside Moss...

"Back From the Brink - Sir Michael Edwardes" - what really happened to British Leyland

Just about any of Jeremy Clarkson's books. Laugh out loud - and often.

I have just finished Tom Bower's book on Bernie Ecclestone, which is a real eye opener and also "Just Call Me Charlie", by Lord Charles Brocket, the Ferrari collector who ended up in the nick. As a former UK Prison Officer from 1967-1973, I was somewhat disturbed by several aspects of this well written book.

I am currently re-reading a magical story featuring a flying Ford Anglia...

Grant Ellwood
01-06-2013, 11:30 PM
I am a far better reader than mechanic (or driver...).

My earliest stirrings about motorsport were generated via Dad's bookshelf with books such as Birkin's "Full Throttle", and "Bits and Pieces" on Bira. I have a substantial book, magazine and memorabilia collection and frightened myself silly when I opted to value one shelf full of the better book offerings, that include all 3 magnificent books on BRM by Doug Nye and 2 copies of David Weguelin's ERA (both bought by me, with one for Dad).

Some are less valuable but a great read - in no particular order:

"Down the Hatch - Tony Lanfranchi" (hilarious at times...)

"Alf Francis, Racing Mechanic" - Stirling Moss' mechanic

"To Finish First, Phil Kerr" - brilliantly written

"The Other Side Of The Hill - by Bette Hill" - Graham Hill was my car hero alongside Moss...

"Back From the Brink - Sir Michael Edwardes" - what really happened to British Leyland

Just about any of Jeremy Clarkson's books. Laugh out loud - and often.

I have just finished Tom Bower's book on Bernie Ecclestone, which is a real eye opener and also "Just Call Me Charlie", by Lord Charles Brocket, the Ferrari collector who ended up in the nick. As a former UK Prison Officer from 1967-1973, I was somewhat disturbed by several aspects of this well written book.

I am currently re-reading a magical story featuring a flying Ford Anglia...

Regarding the flying Anglia, most of the adult population up here isn't familiar with the 105E shape. However there is a whole generation of young 'uns who recognise the Anglia thanks to Ms Rowling's books. A friend of mine who has a road going Anglebox is constantly regaled by Harry Potter fans - 'that's the Weasley car!".

And regarding racing books, I've just read Eoin Young's excellent book Memories of the Bear. Shame I can't make it to the festival but planning for next year....