PDA

View Full Version : 1958 Mobilgas Trial Australia

bob homewood
08-06-2011, 08:42 AM
This afternoon I picked this up on another site ,two Kiwi girls in a Nash Metropolitan are billed on the program as competing in in that 1958 Mobilgas event ,Barbara Baigent and Alma McMillan,there is a photo etc but as its someone elses I won't use it here ,the car has No-Doz written on it which was a keep you awake tablet back then , (I took them once to stay awake ,then slept for a week once I no longer wanted to stay awake )
Can anyone here offer any more information on them ,did they do any of the Hepolite Trials or anything on this side of the water before going over there.The Nash Metropolitan was a bit of a "Ladies " car back then from memory

AMCO72
08-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Bob, I cant imagine the girls getting far on a trial in a Nash Metropolitan. Can't remember whether they were A35 or A40 based, but I do remember the colours they were painted...two tone, white with either yellow, turquoise, or pink!!!!! I think your description of a 'Ladies car' is about right. Not sure who BMC was targeting, but you used to see an odd one driving round Christchurch. Mind you BMC wern't the only car manufacturer trying to cater exclusively for the ladies in those days. I think todays female drivers like something with a bit more grunt, certainly to take on an Australian trial!!

bob homewood
08-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Gerald ,think we used to nickname one colour "powder puff " They actually had the BMC B series engine in them,the first ones at least had the engine that was fitted to the early A40 Devons etc ,the later ones had the bigger B series as we also used to refer to them as Morris Oxford GT's
I don't know any more about that entry thats why I asked ,its possible one of them may have been connected to the Matamata Baigents and there is a very slim chance the other might have been connected to some one else who I knew later in life ,thats what got my curiosity up

Jizim
08-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Bob my very good mates Dad competted in these trials in Aussie and I will get the gen on it soon....I think he ran a Mk 2 Zephyr... Stand by.. Regards, Tony Rutherford.

David McKinney
08-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Husband and wife team G and A McMillan competed in the 1959 Monte Carlo Rally at the wheel of a Porsche
I don't know who they were, either