PDA

View Full Version : The Peter Hanna Collection - Part 1

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 05:40 AM

Most New Zealand motor racing enthusiasts will be familiar with the name Peter Hanna. Hanna was the head of a misfit group of characters who promoted the Bay Park motorsport facility, in Tauranga, NZ. Hanna, along with his mate Graham Pierce, thrust an upright middle finger at the New Zealand motorsport hierarchy, and ran their events their way. When New Zealand motorsport was very much biased towards single seaters, Hanna and Pierce pushed saloon car racing.

Bay Park was the first venue in New Zealand to host a race for Formula 5000, but the track was really one in which saloon cars were given top billing. Hanna understood the pulling power of tin-tops, and great effort was put into assembling a quality field of the top NZ machines, at their three big seasonal events; Labour Weekend, Christmas, and Easter.

For the most part, Hanna and Pierce would arrange to have at least one international car and driver present for at least one of these events, most usually the big Christmas event, when the Bay of Plenty was heaving was holiday goers. Often times they'd import up to three cars. But the pay-off would be in the crowd numbers. At their 1970 Christmas event, they had Australians Terry Allan and Bryan Thomson in their big block Camaros, along with American Joe Chamberlain in his Trans-Am Camaro, plus all the top Kiwi cars, and such was the crowd attendance that day, they had to turn people away at the gate, as they had a full-house.

For motorsport photographers wanting to gain the best vantage points at Bay Park, Peter Hanna required they give him half a dozen photos from each event, with which he could do as he pleased. Over the years he assembled a massive collection.

Roaring Season member Dale Mathers got to know Peter Hanna and those associated with Bay Park well. Dale grew up in Tauranga, and his father was the President for the Bay of Plenty Stockcar And Saloon Car Club, whose speedway track was inside the Bay Park circuit racing venue.

A couple of years before his death, Dale was visiting Peter, who, in his usual gruff manner, said to Dale, "Here, you like this Ford shit, have these", and with that, he thrust a pile of old Bay Park racing photographs at him. Most of the photos are of saloon cars, not surprising really, and there is a fairly strong Ford bias, but these photos, of which were only a very tiny part of Peter's collection, are fascinating.

Dale sent me these photos some years ago, and I've asked his permission to create a thread dedicated to them. Hopefully Dale and others associated with Bay Park will share their memories of this incredible place, and the colourful folk who ran it, just to help bring this story to life.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 08:58 AM
OK, these aren't in any sort of order sorry. Can anyone ID the GTHO Phase II (or Phase I?)in the first shot? I should know who is driving the Phase III and Charger in the last shot, but names escape me right now. Will plug them in as soon as my memory returns! Unless someone beats me to it.

The Porsche is that of Pete Geoghegan which was owned by Laurie O'Niel. This is the car Pete raced after the Super Falcon, but before the Craven Mild Monaro, which was also owned by O'Niel. The white GTHO Phase III is that of Richard Brocklehurst. Where is this car now? The Capri is obviously Paul Faheys, which Roaring Season member Roger Townshend now owns.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Starting off here with John McCormacks radical mid engined Repco Charger. Then a couple of shots of Red Dawsons Shelby Mustang, the first from the 1968/69 season, the second from Dawsons championship winning 1969/70 season. Then a couple of shots of Allan Moffats Mustang in its Brut 33 colours, when it raced at Bay Park during the 1973/74 season. The first shot appears to be a publicity shot.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 09:08 AM
I should point out, the first Dawson shot still has the NZ signage on its rear quarters after Dawson had raced the car in Australia.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Kicking off here with a very early shot of the Spinner Black/Rod Coppins Camaro during the 1968/69 season, prior to its cigarette sponsorship. The grid shot shows, from left, Rod Coppins (ex Pete Geoghegan Mustang), Paul Fahey, Red Dawson on the front row, with Norm Beechey in his Nova in behind Dawson. Whats interesting about this is that Beechey appeared with a Camaro in 1968, which was his replacement for the Nova, so why was he back racing the Nova again here?

#141 is John Riley in the ex-Geoghegan/Coppins Mustang, and, finally, Leo Leonard and Jack Nazer battle during the 1975/76 season. These two rubbed panels on several occasions this season.

GD66
08-09-2011, 09:51 AM
What's interesting about this is that Beechey appeared with a Camaro in 1968, which was his replacement for the Nova, so why was he back racing the Nova again here?

May have been racing the Camaro in a late-season meeting in Australia, and sent the Nova on by boat to make the race deadline easily.
But what's much more likely is that his appearance at the previous December '67 meeting in the Nova in its' black Neptune livery introduced the crowd to the spectacle of not just a tough race driver in action, but the emergence of an actual motorsport showman, with a larger-than-life persona, an energetic, happy, positive bloke who drove with glee, sliding and wrestling the previously-unseen Nova to victory at their first attempt at an International event in Bay Park's inaugural year. I would think when the time came to get Stormin' Norm Beechey back again, the Nova would have been the first-requested accessory !

Milan Fistonic
08-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Spencer 'Spinner' Black was driving a Falcon GTHO, numbered 93 and sponsored by E. W. Tappenden & Sons Ltd at the April 11, 1971 meeting at Bay Park.

Murray Maunder
08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the sharing Steve. My latest memories of Peter include him laying out photos on the big table in his office opposite the fire station before shuffling them into groups in manilla envelopes, the raspy gruff droll observations and the ever-present pack of Rothmans 20s. Unimaginable character today and it's great that at least some of his collection is alive, hopefully more (including what you have Steve) will emerge soon.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Thanks for that info Milan, that makes plenty of sense.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the sharing Steve. My latest memories of Peter include him laying out photos on the big table in his office opposite the fire station before shuffling them into groups in manilla envelopes, the raspy gruff droll observations and the ever-present pack of Rothmans 20s. Unimaginable character today and it's great that at least some of his collection is alive, hopefully more (including what you have Steve) will emerge soon.

Yep, that has a lot of merit. Beechey smoked the Kiwis when he visited the previous season in the Nova. Despite its drum brakes, he'd developed it into a very fast car, and was comfortably leading the single race Australian Touring Car Championship in 1967 when a tyre blew and he bounced off a wall. The Camaro first appeared in May 1968, and was Beecheys weapon of choice for the '68 ATCC at Warwick Farm over the Nova. Apparently he only raced the Camaro four times. For 1969 he had a new HK Monaro, and the Camaro vanished, while the Nova was sold to John Kay, so his Bay Park exploits must have been one of the last events he did in this car.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Jim Richards and the Sidchrome Mustang.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 09:02 PM
More from the Christmas 1968 meeting.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Scott Wisemans E Type included here.

Steve Holmes
08-09-2011, 10:22 PM
Some production car action from the 1973/74/75 seasons. Jim Richards appears twice in the Team McMillan XA Falcon GT. Leo Leonard is shown is his rapid E49 Charger. Whose it the red E49 on the grid next to Leo in the fourth shot?

Rod Grimwood
08-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Not completly sure but the red Charger with Monaco Motors could have been Howard Collier (Capt. Howdie) as he raced one back then.

Rod Grimwood
08-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Brown coloured HO on front row could be Brian Patrick i think in the car called "Twitch". Apparently this car just sold just a while back, will do research.

Jac Mac
08-09-2011, 10:59 PM
This list of names in no set order might help fill in some gaps, that E49 with Monaco on it Im sure if I went looking I could find a driver.. Ralph Emson-XU1, Inky Tulloch XA GT/ E49, Jim Little E49, Ron Rutherford E49, Pat Monoghan GTHO Ph2[ex Sprague]-E49[red][silver], Patrick Smith GTHO Ph3?

Rod Grimwood
08-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Patrick Smith thats the one Jac Mac in the HO. Brian Patrick was Brimar Imp a little different ah. Going to Mangawhai now so will drop in and see if howard is home and get info, pretty sure it is him in red Charger (Monaco Motors)

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 12:19 AM
OK guys, I had to cheat and look this up in a magazine, because it was driving me nuts. The Phase III is indeed Patrick Smith, as already stated. The red E49 is Rodger Anderson according to the race reports from this event.

bob homewood
08-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Pat Smith had a Bulk fertilzer Spreading Business in Kumeu at that time ,he later merged with another firm doing the same sort of thing and moved to Waimaulu,I think the company is still active in lower Northland

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 01:44 AM
At the Christmas 1972 Bay Park event, the promoters went wild, and imported four international saloon teams to take on the locals. Allan Moffat and Pete Geoghegan from Australia, Pete with his 600hp Super Falcon, Frank Gardner was over from Britain, with a '67 Camaro he'd been campaigning in the British Touring Car Championship and selected European races, and Joe Chamberlain returned, having raced in NZ at the 1970 Christmas event. As in 1970, Joe had a '69 Camaro which he'd been racing in the Trans-Am. He would have been at a disadvantage, given the Trans-Am rules had a maximum engine limit of 5,000cc, and 8" wide wheels, but he was a privateer who enjoyed his racing.

The local drivers included Paul Fahey in the PDL Mustang, Rod Coppins in the ex-T/G Racing '69 Firebird which Roaring Season member Bruce302 now owns, plus Dennis Marwood in the '69 Camaro Joe Chamberlain had with him the first time he visited NZ, and Red Dawson in his beautiful 1970 Kensington Carpets Camaro. Up from the South Island was top OSCA driver Clyde Collins in his V8 Cortina.

Unfortunately, the locals didn't fare at all well, with Fahey out in practice, and Coppins out early on race day. Dawson was the best of the Kiwis, but the overall honours were battled out among Moffat, Gardner, and Geoghegan. Gardner parked the Camaro backwards in the fence trying to pass Moffat in race 2 (I think), while Geoghegan won race 3 after Moffats Mustang retired. Geoghegan was the crowd favourite, with his brutal driving of the big Falcon, as he sprayed dirt and gravel everywhere from running out of race track on most corners.

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 01:50 AM
Chamberlain was another to end up parked in the fence. Fortunately the damage was superficial. Does anyone know why Chamberlain didn't sell the car in NZ? This was the usual practice for visiting internationals. They went home with a suitcase full of cash to build next seasons car, while a Kiwi got themselves a front running car to race locally. This car is now owned by Steve Sorensen and races with the Historic Trans-Am group. This is what it looks like today: http://historictransam.com/Drivers/StephenSorensonCamaro.htm

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 01:53 AM
If it weren't for the international teams, the grid would have been pretty thin by the 3rd race, as the Kiwis were dropping like flies.

aussiemonza
08-10-2011, 03:30 AM
If it weren't for the international teams, the grid would have been pretty thin by the 3rd race, as the Kiwis were dropping like flies.

What may be of interest is that when I had Frank's 67 Camaro, the only non-original panel on the car was the rear beaver panel! I would say as a result of the ding shown here.

AMCO72
08-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Are my eyes deceiving me or is that a yellow Mini at the back of the grid. In amongst all that HORSEPOWER..... Brave fella!! Wonder who it is?

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 03:50 AM
Gerald, he would have been ever braver if they'd been reverse-grid races!

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 03:54 AM
What may be of interest is that when I had Frank's 67 Camaro, the only non-original panel on the car was the rear beaver panel! I would say as a result of the ding shown here.

Yes, that is interesting Rowan. Gardner raced the Camaro the following weekend at Pukekohe, so a very quick beating of the rear quarter and a coat of primer to have it ready was undertaken in the days in between, the end result can be seen in this Steve Twist photo.

Milan Fistonic
08-10-2011, 04:03 AM
The entry for the three Open Saloon events varied but there were 3 Minis, a Hillman Imp and a couple of Anglias in amongst the big metal. Obviously not all of them started and I don't know which of the Minis is shown in the photo. The drivers were Allan Scott and Bill Sample in 1275s and Warren Spackman in a 999.

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks Milan. Someone on here should be able to ID which Mini it is from your list.

nick_tassie
08-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Does anyone have any colour photo's of the Terry Allan z28 Camaro when it raced in NZ in the unusual blue colour scheme. I believe Terry was invited to race over there on 2 occasions, once with that distinctive blue scheme and decals. I've seen a black and white photo (Australian Muscle Car mag) but not a colour one as yet.

GD66
08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
There was nothing too notable about that paintjob, it was just a dark blue with a very fine mist of metallic in it, and silver minilites. Pretty much like the Camaro that Garry Treloar raced in Australia a few years back, in fact I often wondered if it was the same car or a type of tribute build. The white paint job was straight white with a red-and-green Castrol stripe running lengthwise down the flanks of the guards, and in spite of sounding dull actually looked pretty good.

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 10:49 PM
As Terry Allans Camaro has been mentioned above, I'll use that as an excuse to add a couple of photos of Terrys Camaro from the 1970 Christmas event. This event also included Bryan Thomsons fabulous big block '68 Camaro, plus American Joe Chamberlains '69 Trans-Am Camaro, which was purchased by Kiwi Ian Rorison, and kept in NZ for Dennis Marwood to race.

The Kiwi opposition included Paul Fahey in his newly built Cambridge sponsored '70 Mustang (who won all three races), Rod Coppins' '67 Camaro, as pictured leading Allan, plus the Shelby Mustangs of Red Dawson and John Riley. Such was public interest in this event, Bay Park organisers had to shut the gates just after mid-day on race day, as they were at full capacity!

The Terry Allan Camaro seems to have vanished, but will hopefully be tracked down (see separate thread). Fortunately, the Bryan Thomson Camaro has been in safe hands for many years, and been restored, and is currently for sale: http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/tabid/65/p/2/k/camaro/id/2005/Default.aspx

For their Easter 1971 event, Bay Park shipped Tasmanian racer Robin Pare across in his Don Elliott owned Mustang. The Mustang was displayed in what appears to be a local car dealers showroom prior to the event. Does anyone know which car dealers showroom this was? I'd have assumed it was the local Ford dealership, given Peter Hanna worked there?

These are the last photos for this part. I'll create another thread soon with more form the Peter Hanna collection.

GD66
08-11-2011, 08:01 AM
The local Ford joint where Peter worked as (you'll never guess !) a salesman was Tappenden's, which later became John Dyke Ford.
Looks like the downstairs workshop there.

The Tappenden's tow truck can be seen in the background in several of the old Bay Park pics on that thread.

Edit : Clang ! And is mentioned on the fence advertising behind Robin Pare....

Kiwiboss
08-11-2011, 08:20 AM
For their Easter 1971 event, Bay Park shipped Tasmanian racer Robin Pare across in his Don Elliott owned Mustang. The Mustang was displayed in what appears to be a local car dealers showroom prior to the event. Does anyone know which car dealers showroom this was? I'd have assumed it was the local Ford dealership, given Peter Hanna worked there?

These are the last photos for this part. I'll create another thread soon with more form the Peter Hanna collection.[/QUOTE]

Yes Steve, that looks like the inside of the old "John Dyke Ford" dealership on Cameron road, Tauranga where Peter Hanna worked, as it was prime real estate so the building and yard is long gone, now a "Countdown" supermarket.

Dale Mathers

Murray Maunder
08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Tappenden Ford Cameron Road corner 12th Ave where the BNZ now are, I think Dale. Pete used to run Baypark out of a tiny sales office on that site before he became a full-time motorsport promoter. Ford dealerships at that time were very active in supporting motor racing and Tappendens were no exception but I'm sure the amount of time he spent doing his thing in their employ would have been an issue. A bloody legend who changed NZ motor racing and stirred up the establishment.

nigel watts
08-11-2011, 09:35 AM
I think Dale's right - John Dyke Ford were right beside the Baptist Church which is on the 13th Ave Cameron Road corner. The site is indeed a Countdown supermarket now.

GD66
08-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Tappenden's were on the northwest corner of Cameron Road and Fourth Avenue. Their lower workshop premises exited onto the street behind (Third Avenue West ?) that leads down towards Glasgow Street. This same premises became John Dyke Ford when Tappenden's sold it around 1972.

Rod Grimwood
08-12-2011, 12:52 AM
The entry for the three Open Saloon events varied but there were 3 Minis, a Hillman Imp and a couple of Anglias in amongst the big metal. Obviously not all of them started and I don't know which of the Minis is shown in the photo. The drivers were Allan Scott and Bill Sample in 1275s and Warren Spackman in a 999.

Bill Sample was from Albany on the Nth Shore and his mini was Yellow (positive), and his brothers was Green i think. (long time ago)

Steve Holmes
08-12-2011, 01:00 AM
This shot isn't from the Peter Hanna collection, this was taken by a friend of Roaring Season member faminz. You can just make out a couple of Minis at the rear of the field. So at least two of the three entered made the start of at least one race.

Kiwiboss
08-12-2011, 08:34 AM
Tappenden's were on the northwest corner of Cameron Road and Fourth Avenue. Their lower workshop premises exited onto the street behind (Third Avenue West ?) that leads down towards Glasgow Street. This same premises became John Dyke Ford when Tappenden's sold it around 1972.

I can just remember the old Tappendens on 4th ave and Cameron Rd, and went there a few times in my teenage years when it was JD ford, needed parts for my Anglia, Zephyr, Fairlane, etc. I was at the Boys College until 75 and the section Nigel mentions was next to the school and empty for years then suddenly JD Ford had a brand new premise's, was huge lot for a car yard in its day!! i remember the building inside been as in the Pare Mustang picture so can almost presume thats where it was taken, been a Ford(Mustang) JD probably was happy for it to be in the show room!! My memorys of John Dyke himself in the early 90's when i had my own car yard was that he was a very pleasant person!! last of the old school dealers before the Jap Import Car Shark days!!

Dale Mathers

Ellis
08-12-2011, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=Kiwiboss;4012]For their Easter 1971 event, Bay Park shipped Tasmanian racer Robin Pare across in his Don Elliott owned Mustang.

The Elliot / Pare K Code Mustang is restored and still owned in Tasmania...

When owned by Robin Bessant of Launceston...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/6ed02a80.jpg

Restored back to Elliot days....
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/100_2483.jpg

Kiwiboss
08-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Great to hear this Mustang survived Ellis, not many did!!! or they usually had a very checker'd history!!! Im at EC muscle Car Masters next month, you going? Dale

Ellis
08-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Too far for me Dale.

The Elliot K Code Mustang was purchased new by Don Elliot and put straight onto the race track. It wasnt until the 3rd owner that the car seen the world as road going car and that was only for a short period of its life. Its currently got restricted rego so can be driven on road if owner so desires. It was at the Longford Revival Festival in Mar this year and guest driven by Wayne Mahnken an ex Taswegian from Melbourne who arranged the mechanicals and body resto for the current owner.

It was driven on the timed Flying Mile and displayed along with 2 replicas of Don Elliot past cars......
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMGP4042-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMGP4054.jpg

Pics courtesy of G Saunderson Qld

coldrive
08-14-2011, 09:27 AM
The pic taken on the grid with the Monaro flanked by two Falcons is from the Dec 30 1973 meeting, Castrol GTX Production Car Series. According to programme It's Robbie Francevic in the Gills Go Gear Falcon, Neville Crichton in the Monaro and Jim Richards in the McMillan Ford GT. There are Chargers and Pacers further back which are likely to be Bryan Innes, Rod Coppins, Wayne Wilkinson and Graeme Addis.

coldrive
08-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm wondering if the Grace Bros Porsche is Jim McKeown? Pretty sure he raced at a Baypark October meet, maybe `74 or `75.

GD66
08-14-2011, 10:42 AM
He did, but his Porsche had the Chesterfield livery. Plus I'd lay money that's Pete Geoghegan's boof head in the Grace Bros 911 pictured.

Steve Holmes
08-14-2011, 09:48 PM
The pic taken on the grid with the Monaro flanked by two Falcons is from the Dec 30 1973 meeting, Castrol GTX Production Car Series. According to programme It's Robbie Francevic in the Gills Go Gear Falcon, Neville Crichton in the Monaro and Jim Richards in the McMillan Ford GT. There are Chargers and Pacers further back which are likely to be Bryan Innes, Rod Coppins, Wayne Wilkinson and Graeme Addis.

Thanks for that info.

Steve Holmes
08-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Too far for me Dale.

The Elliot K Code Mustang was purchased new by Don Elliot and put straight onto the race track. It wasnt until the 3rd owner that the car seen the world as road going car and that was only for a short period of its life. Its currently got restricted rego so can be driven on road if owner so desires. It was at the Longford Revival Festival in Mar this year and guest driven by Wayne Mahnken an ex Taswegian from Melbourne who arranged the mechanicals and body resto for the current owner.

It was driven on the timed Flying Mile and displayed along with 2 replicas of Don Elliot past cars......
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMGP4042-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/IMGP4054.jpg

Pics courtesy of G Saunderson Qld

Thanks for posting those images Ellis, along with the update on the Pare Mustang. Good to know it survived. This is one of the few surviving Improved Production cars which raced in the ATCC up until 1972, so is a special car.

Rodger Anderson
08-20-2011, 03:41 AM
"It is I said the fly." Howard Collier owned the car and I did the season in it although there were not many races for the "stock" class that season. We got a bit anoyed with the Leo Leonard car blowing us off all the time with (probably) about 50 more horsepower. I remember beating him off the line at Bay Park (might have been this race in the photo), in fact he spun it up and came about 5th in the first lap. I kept it tight and straight and fast for a few laps then he came up behind me with about 20 m.p.h. in hand so I took my foot off the gas to make it look like he had a lot more power than me and he nearly ran into me. Later we were asked to pull the heads off to see if any of the Chargers had oversize inlet valves. The cars were on TDC ready for reassembly and ours had the pistons level with the top of the block. Guess what, a certain yellow Charger from down 'south' had the pistons sticking up about 50mm, but the scrutineers said "just checking inlet valves today". Ah well, our team wanted to keep it 'legal' so thats how it stayed. It was a great victory one day later in the season when I did beat him though. An even bigger celebration when we beat the Falcon GTHO's too.
We used to run Goodyear tyres that were half worn because these were the only ones that did not go 'off' half way through a race. The others were like chewing gum after every race. So we were constantly asking people in the street if they wanted to swap a nice new set of Goodyear tyres for their old half worn ones. Cheers Guys.

Rod Grimwood
08-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Thanks for that info Roger, I had a idea Howard had something to do with the Charger, as I remember him and it down at Lyalls a couple of times.

adam.boote
09-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I was just on Google and found this post; the white GTHO of Richard Brocklehurst is still very much alive! It's my Dads car and he has owned it since 1990. It lives in Nelson and is back to the original Jewel Green. A few years ago Richard came down and viewed the car, he said it smelt just like it did in 72 and has some great stories to tell about the GTX series and going to the Broadmeadows factory at the same time the XYGT were being built.

OK, these aren't in any sort of order sorry. Can anyone ID the GTHO Phase II (or Phase I?)in the first shot? I should know who is driving the Phase III and Charger in the last shot, but names escape me right now. Will plug them in as soon as my memory returns! Unless someone beats me to it.

The Porsche is that of Pete Geoghegan which was owned by Laurie O'Niel. This is the car Pete raced after the Super Falcon, but before the Craven Mild Monaro, which was also owned by O'Niel. The white GTHO Phase III is that of Richard Brocklehurst. Where is this car now? The Capri is obviously Paul Faheys, which Roaring Season member Roger Townshend now owns.

Steve Holmes
09-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Hi there Adam, yes I'd heard that Phase III was in a museum or something at one time in Nelson? Did Brocklehurst paint it white when it was still brand-spanking new?

Reeceracer
02-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I can just remember the old Tappendens on 4th ave and Cameron Rd, and went there a few times in my teenage years when it was JD ford, needed parts for my Anglia, Zephyr, Fairlane, etc. I was at the Boys College until 75 and the section Nigel mentions was next to the school and empty for years then suddenly JD Ford had a brand new premise's, was huge lot for a car yard in its day!! i remember the building inside been as in the Pare Mustang picture so can almost presume thats where it was taken, been a Ford(Mustang) JD probably was happy for it to be in the show room!! My memorys of John Dyke himself in the early 90's when i had my own car yard was that he was a very pleasant person!! last of the old school dealers before the Jap Import Car Shark days!!

Dale Mathers

Hi All, This talk about Dykes yards have stirred up a few childhood memories so I thought I'd put my 2 cents in to clear a few points. My father Max Killingback started up Alabama Autos back in '76 and we lived on the yard right next door to Dykes on the corner of 12th & Cameron rds,(both these yards are now a BNZ bank after being a Georgie Pie for a few years)Now, at this time Dykes next door was the "used car" yard with Peter in charge. The "new car" yard & workshop was the one down at 4th Ave which is where the Mustang photo would have been taken. This building is still there.
At this time there was a large paddock across the road from us with a semi-abandoned fruit factory at the back of it where my brother & I used to ride our motorbikes.(Next to the Church). Then in the early 80's Hannaford Caravans set up on the paddock for a couple of years before the whole lot was built into Dykes big new single dealership. Then as we now know in the 90's they packed up and went to the current site at Hewletts rd, Mt Maunganui.(Now Ultimate Motor Group.)
I look back now & think of all the motorsport names within a stones throw!
Peter(who we could sometimes hear next door telling someone to F*** Off!) had Tony Kilworth and Bob Friend under his wing, straight across the road next to the paddock was Peter Devicich's yard which then changed to Gary Sprague's, then Grant Sprague's, then finally Roly Levis'! Next to Roly was John Gillard's who I think will be in one of the previous photo's driving one of the VH Valiant Pacers.
Hope this corrects a few memories, I was only in my Primary school years but remember those days clearer than what I did last week!
Reece Killingback

Grant Ellwood
02-20-2012, 10:05 PM
And Feo Stanton's Mercedes dealership was a couple of blocks away also.

Hi All, This talk about Dykes yards have stirred up a few childhood memories so I thought I'd put my 2 cents in to clear a few points. My father Max Killingback started up Alabama Autos back in '76 and we lived on the yard right next door to Dykes on the corner of 12th & Cameron rds,(both these yards are now a BNZ bank after being a Georgie Pie for a few years)Now, at this time Dykes next door was the "used car" yard with Peter in charge. The "new car" yard & workshop was the one down at 4th Ave which is where the Mustang photo would have been taken. This building is still there.
At this time there was a large paddock across the road from us with a semi-abandoned fruit factory at the back of it where my brother & I used to ride our motorbikes.(Next to the Church). Then in the early 80's Hannaford Caravans set up on the paddock for a couple of years before the whole lot was built into Dykes big new single dealership. Then as we now know in the 90's they packed up and went to the current site at Hewletts rd, Mt Maunganui.(Now Ultimate Motor Group.)
I look back now & think of all the motorsport names within a stones throw!
Peter(who we could sometimes hear next door telling someone to F*** Off!) had Tony Kilworth and Bob Friend under his wing, straight across the road next to the paddock was Peter Devicich's yard which then changed to Gary Sprague's, then Grant Sprague's, then finally Roly Levis'! Next to Roly was John Gillard's who I think will be in one of the previous photo's driving one of the VH Valiant Pacers.
Hope this corrects a few memories, I was only in my Primary school years but remember those days clearer than what I did last week!
Reece Killingback

J42E48
08-29-2012, 10:47 AM

Great to see a couple of VH pacers on the starting grid!

Grant Sprague
03-21-2013, 12:54 AM
Amazing how things get twisted over time , a bit like motor racing & the 100th monkey........... I had only just moved up from Timaru [after spending some yrs in london ..big OE] The car yard in question here 618 Cameron Road was purchased by Gary from Pete Devicich, Gary sold the yard to Roly , Gary then moved to Aussie, Roly re invented the yar card made it look like $$$$$$$ & that was about it , Roly sold the yard to a chemist , then it was combined into a larger bit of dirt now called count down ..

GD66
03-23-2013, 12:18 AM
The car yard in question here 618 Cameron Road was purchased by Gary from Pete Devicich, Gary sold the yard to Roly , Gary then moved to Aussie, Roly re invented the yar card made it look like $$$$$$$ & that was about it , Roly sold the yard to a chemist , then it was combined into a larger bit of dirt now called count down ..

Also, before Peter Devcich owned it Hank Verryt was there, he then moved over the other side of Cameron Road next to Robbie Dean's bike shop. And before Hank Verryt the yard was first run by Laurie Phillips, an avuncular sort of bloke with a pleasant demeanour but an appalling hairpiece...:D

Reeceracer
03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Also, before Peter Devcich owned it Hank Verryt was there, he then moved over the other side of Cameron Road next to Robbie Dean's bike shop. And before Hank Verryt the yard was first run by Laurie Phillips, an avuncular sort of bloke with a pleasant demeanour but an appalling hairpiece...:D

Sorry Grant, I had a feeling you were there after Gary - obviously not!
In between Robbie Deans and Hanks was Murray Reynolds. Is this the same Murray Reynolds that was Starter at Taupo Race Track?

Jac Mac
03-23-2013, 11:17 PM
"It is I said the fly." Howard Collier owned the car and I did the season in it although there were not many races for the "stock" class that season. We got a bit anoyed with the Leo Leonard car blowing us off all the time with (probably) about 50 more horsepower. I remember beating him off the line at Bay Park (might have been this race in the photo), in fact he spun it up and came about 5th in the first lap. I kept it tight and straight and fast for a few laps then he came up behind me with about 20 m.p.h. in hand so I took my foot off the gas to make it look like he had a lot more power than me and he nearly ran into me. Later we were asked to pull the heads off to see if any of the Chargers had oversize inlet valves. The cars were on TDC ready for reassembly and ours had the pistons level with the top of the block. Guess what, a certain yellow Charger from down 'south' had the pistons sticking up about 50mm, but the scrutineers said "just checking inlet valves today". Ah well, our team wanted to keep it 'legal' so thats how it stayed. It was a great victory one day later in the season when I did beat him though. An even bigger celebration when we beat the Falcon GTHO's too.
We used to run Goodyear tyres that were half worn because these were the only ones that did not go 'off' half way through a race. The others were like chewing gum after every race. So we were constantly asking people in the street if they wanted to swap a nice new set of Goodyear tyres for their old half worn ones. Cheers Guys.

50mm out the top, should be a decimal point there surely:) me-thinks the man doth exagerate...

Grant Sprague
03-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Sorry Grant, I had a feeling you were there after Gary - obviously not!
In between Robbie Deans and Hanks was Murray Reynolds. Is this the same Murray Reynolds that was Starter at Taupo Race Track? Hey no probs at all , I was hoping though at that time of sub sharing with Roly , i gave him & builders a hand to dig footings etc , I ended up at 5th Ave crn after Will Marx died as he was the lease holder, plus i had various other yards during the hey day years, hey great site this & thank you for yr in put as well , kind re gards Grant

Grant Sprague
03-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Hi Again Reece, yep Murray Renolds [same one].... gee the dealers moved about like F1 drivers in those days , rents seemed expensive , i guess its all relative to every thing , when i move to crn 5th ave I was paying about $20 k [1984 approx] people said i was silly , then as time went on I think Trev [Lee] was up over $100k p/a mind you was a great site.
Your Dad came in the other day & dropped off some pics etc ,Max is looking good , ok got to goooooooooooo .... Grant