PDA

View Full Version : John Ohlsen - car builder. what happened to the two Katipo's ?

Javman
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM
I believe the first car John was built using a Matich , chassis hense the driver sitting offset, and the second was scratch built with the help from Mark Petch (MJ Racing.)
Would be neat to see them back on the track again.

Robbie Booth owned one in 1975 and was then raced by Russell Greer

I have read in Vercoe's book that in 1981 a M.Morrison owned one and then don't know where it went after that?

Not sure which car this was thou?

Anyone help?

pallmall
08-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Not just the Katipo cars, how about expanding this to a John Ohlsen thread, a few of you must have known John through the years. I knew him when I was a school boy and John was involved with Hot Rodding with the Ferabends, etc and his involvement with Epsom Stockcars. I probably only saw him a couple of times after his return to NZ in the seventies though.
There must be lots of stories out there.

Steve Holmes
08-10-2011, 04:07 AM
Would love to get more info on the Katipo F5000. Anyone have any photos of this car?

beowulf
08-10-2011, 05:08 AM
Would love to get more info on the Katipo F5000. Anyone have any photos of this car?
Hi Steve, post number 6 in the Hillclimb Thread has a picture of Dennis Phillips in the one and a half seater Katipo.

Javman
08-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Copyright Mike Feisst , cheers Mike
The second Katipo driven by Robbie Francevic at Puke 19712904

# 10 car built on the matich chassis.

bob homewood
08-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Some time ago I did some research on this car when Robbie Booth ran it as the Michigan special,you may have to ask David Mc kindly if he will share some of it with you as it was for his use

GD66
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
There are a few pages on John Ohlsen and his building of the Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe in forum member David Manton's new book, Enzo Ferrari's Secret War...

David McKinney
08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
My understanding is that there was only one Katipo
As stated, it was built as an F5000 car on a Matich sportscar base, as in Javman's first Mike Feisst photo
It was then fitted with a Gemco sportscar body and offered for sale as a “McLaren replica”
It returned to the circuits, again as a single-seater, with Robbie Booth in 1975/76, but now called a Matich, as it was when Dennis Phillips and later Russell Greer used it for hillclimbing

Greg Stokes
08-10-2011, 12:19 PM
What a trick looking car!

Javman
08-10-2011, 08:15 PM
My understanding is that there was only one Katipo
As stated, it was built as an F5000 car on a Matich sportscar base, as in Javman's first Mike Feisst photo
It was then fitted with a Gemco sportscar body and offered for sale as a “McLaren replica”
It returned to the circuits, again as a single-seater, with Robbie Booth in 1975/76, but now called a Matich, as it was when Dennis Phillips and later Russell Greer used it for hillclimbing

Thanks for that David , great to have your input , cheers.

Javman
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi David,
Do you know which and what Matich sportscar chassis was used to build the original car?

regards
Craig

David McKinney
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
No, never figured it out, and Australian Matich experts never seem to mention it

bob homewood
08-11-2011, 09:34 AM
No, never figured it out, and Australian Matich experts never seem to mention it
I scratched my head a bit about this one ,somebody told me it was a SR3,some one else said well Bob Britton built the chassis,so possibly it was just a chassis and components that was supplied ,some one else told me it was a Renmax,maybe someone should ask Mark Petch

Carlo
08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
Think you will find that it was a SR4 chassis that may have been built by Bob Britton, seem to remember Robbie running it at Timaru at what may have been its first outing as the Katipo

bob homewood
08-11-2011, 10:31 AM
OK Carl, I never followed it that closely at that stage ,but my informant who obviously could be wrong said it was a Britton built chassis ,the SR4 was built by Henry Nehrybecki ? I'll do a bit more digging over the week end

David McKinney
08-11-2011, 11:44 AM
seem to remember Robbie running it at Timaru at what may have been its first outing as the Katipo
First race, but not first outing. It had practised at Wigram

pallmall
08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Well, while we are waiting for more information on the Katipo (I hope there is lots more to come) here is few photos of John Ohlsen's life before he went off to build the Cobra Daytona Coupe and other things.

This is John's second hot rod, he was part of the Ellerslie/Oranga/Greenlane group of 1950s Hot Rodders many of whom went on to much greater automobile fame.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758005Quicke-mailview.jpg

From 1956 to 1958 John raced this stockcar at the famed Epsom track along with some of his Hot Rodding mates and the likes of Johnny Riley, Red Dawson, Garth Souness, Glen Jones and all.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/HTEpsom1957-58012Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758001Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/EPSOMSTOCKS37011Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758002Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758003Quicke-mailview.jpg

bob homewood
08-13-2011, 01:32 AM
OK Carl, I never followed it that closely at that stage ,but my informant who obviously could be wrong said it was a Britton built chassis ,the SR4 was built by Henry Nehrybecki ? I'll do a bit more digging over the week end

Well I have checked with Rory a contact of mine in Oz ,who was pretty close to what was going on in the Maitch days and this is what he says
Pretty sure it was an SR4 built base...there was 3 or 4 done off memory...Frank wanted to do a McLaren and sell his cars...there is a SR4 here for sale in the Oily Rag..Historic magazine with a BDA Twin Cam in it...never followed where the built chassis' went but obviously someone threw a BDA in one...Henry went to Europe off memory and Bob B was involved in finishing some bits off (Frank liked Bob and Gary Cooper)..so thats where he fits I think and probably added some Rennmax influences i would say.....all a bit vague but pretty close to the right stuff I think..

Steve Holmes
08-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Well, while we are waiting for more information on the Katipo (I hope there is lots more to come) here is few photos of John Ohlsen's life before he went off to build the Cobra Daytona Coupe and other things.

This is John's second hot rod, he was part of the Ellerslie/Oranga/Greenlane group of 1950s Hot Rodders many of whom went on to much greater automobile fame.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758005Quicke-mailview.jpg

From 1956 to 1958 John raced this stockcar at the famed Epsom track along with some of his Hot Rodding mates and the likes of Johnny Riley, Red Dawson, Garth Souness, Glen Jones and all.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/HTEpsom1957-58012Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758001Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/EPSOMSTOCKS37011Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758002Quicke-mailview.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i275/Checraft/RANDOM/epsom5758003Quicke-mailview.jpg

Gavin, neat photos. Do you have any more info on the hot rod?

pallmall
08-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Not much, I am going to interview an old Stockcar driver in the next few weeks, and copy his photo albums. He was involved in the Ellerslie Hot Rod scene along with Johnny, so I will try and find out some more on those early days and the Hot Rod.

Steve Holmes
08-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Thanks Gavin, I'll ask Greg Stokes, he may be able to help with this.

jim short
01-12-2012, 11:35 PM
John Olhsen is the heading so i will add my ten cents worth,1993 I bought the body and chassis of a ferrari 500 copy special or what ever you like ,the two of us {brother in law}arrived in Nelson at 5AM a cold frosty mrn.having caught an earler crossing.After killing time we got to see the car in the flesh ,I had photos sent to me before.Man it looked far better than we expected.On the long drive home spent a lot time looking in the mirror at this beautiful thing on the trailer..It sat at home for some time as my Mack truck was pretty busy up and down the country,John had told me when he gets some space I can work on it there as there was only him and Paul his son.Strange as life can be at the time I was told to stop driving or be in a wheelchair! John rang bring it over,.For the best part of a year I worked on it as there was only a chassis and body both very very close to a real one ,On more than one occasion John commented this chassis is not homemade??Whenever I was having a problem I would ask him a question about Carrol Shelby,He would drop what he was doing and come over to talk and take over my problem,He was Shelbys biggest fan thats for real ,and Shelby thought the world of him,Thursday lunch he would go out each week and get a curry for the three of us and man there would be steam coming out your nose as you tried to breath ,,no this is only 70percent hot he would say.When he went toUK in the late 50s currys was the cheepest food and as no one had a lot of money curry it was .Another good mem. hot rods John was a hotroder way back one story he told off to Wellington in this open car freezing cold big army coats on ,on the desert road sees another rod heading north as they approach they brake Johns car dives off to the left through the scrub back on the road parks along side Where you going ?,Wellington OK see ya..He was a great man not into all this bullshit what can run andwhat cant no car is ever the same so what???

Paul Kirk
01-15-2012, 04:36 AM
I believe the first car John was built using a Matich , chassis hense the driver sitting offset, and the second was scratch built with the help from Mark Petch (MJ Racing.)
Would be neat to see them back on the track again.

I have read in Vercoe's book that in 1981 a M.Morrison owned one and then don't know where it went after that?

Anyone help?

Re the Katipo that Robby Franicivic raced/practiced at Wigram--- He asked me to set the ign. timing on the Chev engine in it, I said "where would you like it set?" "50 degrees" he said. "What? That's too far advanced" I said. Anyway thats sort of how the conversation went, and we finally compromised and set it a bit over 40 degrees. When he drove it at Wigram it handled incredibly bad due to bouncing off the bump stops and bottoming the shocks. I don't remember how he got on on race day or evan if he raced it.
But the other interesting thing about the car is that I understood it was originally one of the American Formula A cars that came out here to race at Baypark and was purchased and modified into a "sports" car by some guys in AK, but I can't remember who, but Robby had a couple of Dalmation mates who did a lot of work with him so it was probably a joint effort by a few people.
PK.
I could be totally wrong, of course, but that story has been in my memory ever since that time.

Russ Cunningham
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Forum readers may have noticed that I have two new rear uprights for sale. MJ - Katipo uprights. Hey! build a car and invent a history - isn't that what it's all about these days?

Yours in cynicism,

Russ Cunningham
ps. Pallmall: Notice my "correct" use of capital letters.

Kwaussie
01-15-2012, 10:12 AM

Anyone help?

I remember one of the cars with Dave Morrison at Wigram at one of the first "Wings & Wheels".

pallmall
01-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Re the Katipo that Robby Franicivic raced/practiced at Wigram--- He asked me to set the ign. timing on the Chev engine in it, I said "where would you like it set?" "50 degrees" he said. "What? That's too far advanced" I said. Anyway thats sort of how the conversation went, and we finally compromised and set it a bit over 40 degrees. When he drove it at Wigram it handled incredibly bad due to bouncing off the bump stops and bottoming the shocks. I don't remember how he got on on race day or evan if he raced it.
But the other interesting thing about the car is that I understood it was originally one of the American Formula A cars that came out here to race at Baypark and was purchased and modified into a "sports" car by some guys in AK, but I can't remember who, but Robby had a couple of Dalmation mates who did a lot of work with him so it was probably a joint effort by a few people.
PK.
I could be totally wrong, of course, but that story has been in my memory ever since that time.

The Katipo has some resemblence to the Ron Grable Spectre that ran at the first FA/F5000 race at Bay Park. The guy behind the Spectre was American Ken Holden who had stong NZ connections, including living here for a time. So its possible.

Thanks Russ, much more readable and civilised.

pallmall
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Here is a cutting from NZ Hot Rod magazine, late 1970.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f155/gavinevitt/Katipo001Standarde-mailview.jpg

I have been trying to follow up on the possibility that there is actually a connection between the Katipo and the Spectre FA car, somebody must know, lots more people to talk to yet, so maybe one day the answer will be found.

Steve Holmes
02-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Do you think the Spectre could have become the Katipo? Did Grable sell the car while in NZ? According this this page: http://www.myf5000.com/classifieds.html under Spectre HR1, a Ron Grable 1968 Spectre HR1 was advertised for sale in the Competition Press & Autoweek in California in 1970. But he likely could have had more than one car.

pallmall
02-24-2012, 10:04 PM
As I understand it the Spectre was built by Ken Holden, who was also crew chief on the Grable McLaren in 1970.
Ken Holden spent some time in NZ, including racing a car at the Drags and bought down an Edmunds style Modified and raced at Western Springs. There was talk back in the day that the Spectre remained in NZ and was being converted into a sports car.
No smoke without fire, so it is worth investigating.

Bruce302
02-25-2012, 03:28 AM
I was talking to Ron Grable yesterday and I asked him about the Spectre. He tells me that it did go back to the States, and he thinks it is being restored "in the South somewhere. He is looking for any recent info he has on the car.
Ken Holden evidently married a Kiwi, but went back to the States after a while, not sure where he is now, but he would be about 80 or say now.
Bruce.

Dave Silcock
02-25-2012, 04:26 AM
I was in partnership with Mark Petch at the time, Mark and Dave' Marave.' the chassis was bought from Frank Matich and shipped over from Australia by Mark. I was to build a car from it but not a 5000 but a Matich copy. I had one discossion with Frank at Auckland airport about some problems i was having at the drawing board stages with migrant roll centers and he was most helpfull. The partnership with Mark collapsed before much was done and my understanding was that John Olsen built the car as a 5000 as he took my place at Marave.
Cheers Dave

pallmall
02-25-2012, 04:55 AM
Thanks Bruce302 and Dave, that puts to bed any theory that the Spectre and the Katipo are related.

The knowledge base grows ever stronger on here.

crunch
02-25-2012, 09:24 AM
One of the Katipo's resides with John Gobbes who I think lives in Christchurch?

David McKinney
02-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Why "one of the Katipos"?

There was only ever one

kiwi285
02-25-2012, 09:24 PM
John Gobbe does own this car and is in the process of rebuilding it. He is looking for any info on the car and I have directed him to this thread.

Steve Holmes
02-27-2012, 06:36 AM
I was in partnership with Mark Petch at the time, Mark and Dave' Marave.' the chassis was bought from Frank Matich and shipped over from Australia by Mark. I was to build a car from it but not a 5000 but a Matich copy. I had one discossion with Frank at Auckland airport about some problems i was having at the drawing board stages with migrant roll centers and he was most helpfull. The partnership with Mark collapsed before much was done and my understanding was that John Olsen built the car as a 5000 as he took my place at Marave.
Cheers Dave

Sure is good having you on here Dave.

nick_tassie
03-02-2012, 04:33 AM
I've been doing some research on the Shelby American racing effort and came across these photos of John Ohlsen. The photo's and the descriptions are from a Web page on the the Second Edition book by Michael L. Shoen The Cobra-Ferrari Wars 1963-1965
http://cobraferrariwars.com/additional-photos.html

John Ohlsen working on the number 5 Cobra Daytona Coupe, a car he had helped construct from a bare frame in Modena. A tribute to John who has since passed this earth. Gramiger photo.

Dan Gurney and Bob Bondurant in the foreground and John Ohlsen cleaning the windscreen. Probably Fred Gamble in the blue Goodyear jacket aft of Ohlsen. Bruce Dowell photo.

John Ohlsen, who seemed to be everywhere --a long way from Onehunga, New Zealand. John played a huge role in the sucess of the Daytona Coupes. Jack Hoare, the European campaign Engineman, is still alive and a great guy. People like John and Jack made the Cobras sucessful. Skip Hudson: "The kind of effort that went into those cars, you could have taken anything and put it on Broadway."

Phil Hill awaits the start. The cars were sent off in 60 second intervals, otherwise mayhem would occur on this "goat trail" country road through the Sicilian mountains. John Ohlsen has his hand on the roll bar, Bob Bondurant , Innes Ireland, Joe Siffert and his wife Marianne.

This is probably Friday practice. The number 6 Daytona Coupe was assigned to Amon/Neerpasch and painted white around the headlights to identify it to the pit crews. Driver to pit radio communication was another 20 years down the road. If you look carefully at the coupe in the right of the photo, you will see John Ohlsen bent over in the engine compartment and, in the background, his wife Jean in a white Cobra t-shirt sitting on his tool box with her back to the camera. Gramiger photo.

Steve Holmes
03-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Nice one Nick! I bought that book new from Chaters in England back when the first print was released. Cost me 65 pounds, but I see people selling them now for around US$1000! So not a bad investment. Mine was signed during a Chaters book launch by several involved with the car.

Interestingly, John Ohlsen was not only Crew Chief, he was also the first person to ever drive one of the Daytona Coupes. While he, Bob Bondurant, and Sherman Falconer were waiting at Riverside for Ken Miles to show up and test the the first car built, for the first time, still in its bare alloy skin, Ohlsen took it out for a couple of gentle laps around the track to make sure everything worked OK.

nick_tassie
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Wow $1000 very nice investment indeed..!!

Thats interesting about John Ohlsen giving the Daytona its first run, it would have been extremely rewarding after the time and effort in building the car. There's a fantastic article about CSX2299 the 2nd Daytona Coupe in the Shelby Cars in Detail collector book, this was one of the european bodied Daytona's, it was mistakenly built with the incorrect windscreen height and as a consequence a different roof line, a mistake by Shelby American when they installed the windscreen cowl tube at the wrong height. Coincidentally CSX2299 was also the car John Ohlsen was seriously burnt when a fuel spill ignited under the car during a pit stop to fix an overheating differential.

Am I correct that Carroll Shelby's master fabricator Phil Remington was also an expat New Zealander, I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I could be mistaken.

Jac Mac
03-02-2012, 10:11 PM
2287- the 'first' coupe , was the car that caught fire in pits and John Ohlsen was burnt from.

Rod Grimwood
03-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I was talking to Ron Grable yesterday and I asked him about the Spectre. He tells me that it did go back to the States, and he thinks it is being restored "in the South somewhere. He is looking for any recent info he has on the car.
Ken Holden evidently married a Kiwi, but went back to the States after a while, not sure where he is now, but he would be about 80 or say now.
Bruce.

Ken Holden was out here about 3 years back, he came up and stayed a couple of days with us. I have actually just sent an email to Ken for a catch up. I have not heard from him for a little while, and last i was talking to him he was not 100%. Ken has a colourful background, and is very interesting to chat with over a beer or whisky. I have some photos somewhere of his last visit, i will try and find them.

nick_tassie
03-03-2012, 12:02 AM
2287- the 'first' coupe , was the car that caught fire in pits and John Ohlsen was burnt from.

Yes you are right, I missed that they were breifly talking about CSX2287 in that part of the story on CSX2299.

David McKinney
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Am I correct that Carroll Shelby's master fabricator Phil Remington was also an expat New Zealander, I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I could be mistaken.
I've never heard that one - which isn't to say it's not correct. Remington was around Californian racing in the very early '50s

David Manton
03-03-2012, 11:15 PM
I've never heard that one - which isn't to say it's not correct. Remington was around Californian racing in the very early '50s

My recollection is that Phil Remington was definitely an American; he certainly had a strong American accent. There were other Kiwi expats in the Shelby operation besides John Ohlsen, namely Steele Therkleson, Ron Butler (both still living in California) and Grev Hesketh (back in Rotorua).

Kiwiboss
03-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Phil Remington is defiantly American, im sure he would luv to know we think he has some "Kiwi" blood as he is considered the master fabricator come problem solver in the USA aftermarket auto industry, and for Shelby American and many other companies he worked for. I have meet Phil a few times when i've visited Dan Gurneys workshop in Santa Ana, CA where he still works, he's been with Gurney for many years, believe he's around 90? Offcourse the likes of Olsen, Butler, Therkleson, Hesketh were all Kiwi's working under him so he has a close affection to kiwi's!! In 2003 i wanted to buy some Gurney Westlake cylinder heads so i went to AAR and knocked on there door, didn't say i was a Kiwi but when asked where i was from, WELL, did i get the Red Carpet treatment and even a personal tour of the shop by Dan himself as he was very close to Hulme and McLaren let alone all the kiwi mechanics!! have been back several times and even took a tour there in 05, just luv it!!

In Picture from left!! Steve and Mike Rorison, myself, Nigel MacDonald(Hawera) and Mr Gurney

Dale Mathers

Bruce302
03-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Ken Holden was out here about 3 years back, he came up and stayed a couple of days with us. I have actually just sent an email to Ken for a catch up. I have not heard from him for a little while, and last i was talking to him he was not 100%. Ken has a colourful background, and is very interesting to chat with over a beer or whisky. I have some photos somewhere of his last visit, i will try and find them.

Rod, If you do have a contact for Ken I know Ron Grable would love to catch up with him. Ron lost touch years ago but I know he has been looking.

many thanks,
Bruce.

Rod Grimwood
03-04-2012, 05:17 AM
Bruce, Kens email. SprintCar711@webtv.net

Ken normally comes out for the speedway season and drops up here for awhile. He has not been out the last couple of years though.

Bruce302
03-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Bruce, Kens email. SprintCar711@webtv.net

Ken normally comes out for the speedway season and drops up here for awhile. He has not been out the last couple of years though.

Thanks Rod, much appreciated. Lets see if we can get Ken and Ron back in touch with each other.

Bruce.

David McKinney
03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
There were other Kiwi expats in the Shelby operation besides John Ohlsen, namely Steele Therkleson, Ron Butler (both still living in California) and Grev Hesketh (back in Rotorua).
And Arnold Stafford - even though he was UK-born (and is no longer with us)

John McKechnie
08-13-2012, 03:51 AM
I have the information on the Katipo MJ70 F5000 ,is anyone interested?

David McKinney
08-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes!

John McKechnie
08-13-2012, 10:43 AM
There is only was one Katipo MJ70. Ok, in 1974 I knew these guys, and I saw this F5000 sitting in their workshop, just down the road from me..They told me it was the Katipo. I recognized it from the photos.One of them wanted it for the trans axle. Understand basically the rest was not needed by him and disposed of. He also said that it was originally a sports car from Aus and modified here, but not successfully,in fact according to his standards-and brother he is talented-it was a H.O.S. and thats why he only wanted some parts.He never told me who he got it off and who it went to.He told me a few years ago that the car now resides in Chch.The important part -the trans axle has been kept by him all these years and will never be parted from the vehicle it is in. As he has been a life long friend , I will not give his name, or car it is in, though most have seen it. And he does not want publicity.Just giving enough details to fill the missing gaps.

Paul Ohlsen
01-29-2013, 01:15 AM
If youwould like some answers on this question, contact John's Son Paul, at O.D. Automotive Performance in Onehunga.
cheers.
Jean Ohlsen

paul lancaster
04-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Hi there, I have info on the katipo.first let me introduce myself, I'm Paul Lancaster from timaru, nz, I remember this car well, I used to sit in it as a kid.yes it was owned by Murray Morrison, and was in the care of his brother David.I researched this car and had a good chat to mark petch about it.it started out as a match chassis which petch got as payment after working for frank.petch took the chassis back to nz and built it up, building the suspension the same as a maclaren m10b.
When I asked petch for info on the matich, he replied,"it's not a effing matich, it's a katipo m70, the only thing of the original chassis left was the roll hoop.
It was run by francevic under petchs watch, and there was a funny story behind the engine in it.
One of petchs business mates that he knew, had imported a camaro or similar from the USA, and had gone overseas on holiday, and had parked it up in petchs garage.so patch decided to borrow the engine out of that and fit it to the katipo.they didn't have much success with it in race trim as it kept overheating, and after 2 or 3 laps, the temp gauge was rising, and being a "borrowed" engine, instructions were to switch it off.
Francevic put it on pole at timaru, and held the lead till he had to switch her off.overheating plagued them all season, until they finally figured out what the fault was, you guessed it, a dodgy temp gauge.
Then as far as I know Robby booth had it, and also Ian algie owned it for a while, transplanting the transaxle out of the katipo, into an alfa alfetta v8 That he drove in sports sedans.
Murray Morrison from southland bought it, drove it in a few club events, then it sat in the shed on Dave's farm at maungati.the chassis was pretty rusty Dave built a new one for in and installed the engine, box , suspension, complete with huge tyres, but it never ran with that chassis.then 2 yrs ago it got sold complete with original chassis, fairings, new chassis to john gobe in chch, who also owns about 12 shellsport cars, and from what I have been told he is a bit of a hoarder of old racers, not many getting the dollars they need thrown at them , so there you go chaps, I'll try andcsendcin the one and only pic I have of it,

Michael Clark
04-05-2013, 09:27 AM
I met John Gobbe at Teretonga in Feb - he told me he had the Katipo and we jokingly discussed the merits of restoring a car as a 5000 when the market value would hardly make it viable.

I told John that some years ago Andy Booth had told me his dad had said the Katipo was without doubt the scariest thing he had ever driven. I also mentioned to John that I had recalled it being Ford powered in the Robbie Booth era according to the Vercoe book - but he was surprised - I figured another thing I'd got wrong but pages 366, 367, 368, 370 and 373 all refer to Katipo-Ford

John McKechnie
04-06-2013, 09:34 PM
In Auto News May 11 , page 5 there is a full page advertisement from M.J.Racing, C/o Marave Automotive Developments,35 Bledisloe, Street ,Civic Square, AK.
M.J. Racing wishes to advise genuinely interested parties they are able to offer complete cars or rolling chassis to comply with the English formula Ford Regulations, on which NZ Formula C is complying with . The Katipo M.J.70C.
Motor is by Tony Krilitich
So this is the Katipo -Ford.
And in post #54-Wrong brother, wrong car.

paul lancaster
04-08-2013, 04:59 AM
Hi john, I presume you don't agree with me on my post.as I said, I rung mark petch and got lots of info from him.what do younmean wrong car, as far as I know, there was only 1 katipo, I could be wrong, but in definitely looks like the same car as is in the pics that have been posted.I have a photo of it which I'll try and upload for you.

John McKechnie
04-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Algie boys got the car after Francevic/Booth raced it.
Barry Algie has this transaxle in his Monaro.
Ians Alfetta has different transaxle.
If you look at my earlier post , I also said my research showed there was only one 5000 car. No problem with your pics.
Auto News article just shows what M and J s plan was-to build race cars.
No evidence that they did.

David McKinney
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I think they built one FF car

GeebeeNZ
04-08-2013, 09:19 AM
35 Bledisloe St Civic Square was a workshop owned by Mark Petch. I dont know who the J was of MJ racing as the M was probably Mark. Was the J John Ohlsen. Tony Kriletich worked with me in Bledisloe Building. He did amazing things in his spare time including building the real Custaxie with the Urquharts who had the panel beating shop behind Bledisloe Building.

Frosty5
04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
35 Bledisloe St Civic Square was a workshop owned by Mark Petch. I dont know who the J was of MJ racing as the M was probably Mark. Was the J John Ohlsen. .

This may throw some light on the MJ - extracted from Companies Office register (in the public domain) certainly the same person with an extra christian name added in later years

PETCH, Mark James Wayne
V8 SUPERTOURERS LIMITED (3124785) - Director & Shareholder
Director Appointed 16 Sep 2010
Shareholder 17% (Individually Held)

PETCH, Mark James
TOTAL PUMP SOLUTIONS LIMITED (968534)(Struck off) - Director
Director Appointed 14 Jul 1999

paul lancaster
04-09-2013, 04:29 AM
Ok cool, yeah, I was unsure of what order the owner history was, nonetheless, good chatting about the old girl, I used to sit in her as a teenager and think how scary it must have been to drive, the pedals were offset to the right hand seating position, and the Waterpump drive and belt was right next to the drivers left.the chassis around the driver was pretty small gauge and would have been disaster in a shunt for sure.one name that stuck in my head that was on the side of it at the time was Lloyd diamenti, not too sure if he drove it , or was crew, or what, someone might be able to shed some light on that.

David McKinney
04-09-2013, 08:41 AM
35 Bledisloe St Civic Square was a workshop owned by Mark Petch. I dont know who the J was of MJ racing as the M was probably Mark. Was the J John Ohlsen?
That's my recollection

paul lancaster
04-19-2013, 11:47 PM
Sr3 chassis

paul lancaster
04-29-2013, 10:46 AM
It was an sr3 chassis that was hanging up in frank matichs workshop

paul lancaster
04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
The original rear wing you can see in the pics has had a good life of it's own, it once was fitted to Dave Morrison's Lyon ff back in the hill climb days when the Lyon reined supreme on the shingle, and now that wing, still owned by Dave, adores Donny mclarens rotary powered escort, still with begg and Allen signage

John McKechnie
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Was talking to Barry Algie yesterday, he said he actually owned the car on 2 separate occasions . First time in early 70s when I first saw it , then he sold it. He found it again a few years later and bought it a second time after Robbie Booth drove it.
Thats when the gearbox came out. He could use it in the Monaro as the rules said it must come out of a road car.
This explains the extra drivers racing it.

BMCBOY
05-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I found these shots taken at Baypark in 1975 - I can just read Denis Phillips name on the body
Not the greatest of photos but still of interest.

Paul Ohlsen
09-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Hi john, I presume you don't agree with me on my post.as I said, I rung mark petch and got lots of info from him.what do younmean wrong car, as far as I know, there was only 1 katipo, I could be wrong, but in definitely looks like the same car as is in the pics that have been posted.I have a photo of it which I'll try and upload for you.

Hi Im John Ohlsens son Paul, good to find this thread, I can shed some light on a few things, and I will scan some photos at some stage too.

As to this post, Katipo was the name of the cars that Mark and Dad were building, the F5000 was a Katipo F5000. They also planned to build a bunch of Formula Fords, which were also Katipos, there was only one built and it was owned and driven by Mike Hole, it was christened the "Holesen". I have a stack of photos of this I will dig up and scan if anyone is interested?

John McKechnie
09-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Paul- As this site is our motor racing heritage, it would be great to see all the pix preserved here.

Paul Ohlsen
09-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Hi Steve, Just happened to come across your question on the roaring season site.
been a while, however Johns son Paul and I [Jean Ohlsen] have a garage in Onehunga [been here 13 years]
we have many photos and stories etc......so if you're still interested? our phone number is (09) 6365-436

Kiwiboss
09-05-2013, 12:33 AM
Hi Jean and Paul. Please post up a new thread about John(and your) exploits, im sure many here on the TRR would like to read about these and view any pics you have. I’ve been into Mustangs and Shelbys for many years and spent quite sometime in the US going to Shelby conventions and Historic race events, I got to know Steel Thurkelson(RIP) towards the end of his life and have read many articles on Shelby American, it seems quite a few kiwis worked at SA and many come up in pictures in various books and articles!! Speaking with Shelby himself years ago he seem to have a fondness for the ability of most kiwi’s and in recent times I’ve spoken to Pete Brock who speaks very highly of John and his ability with the Daytona Coupe project!! All this Shelby American history is folklore these days and has a big following among those of us too young to be there, especially in America!!

At next Januarys Festival the marque is Ferrari, I help run the Historic Muscle car group and we have past racers, mechanics etc come along, we would like have both or you in January if you’re interested, I can call in next time im in AKL, please E-mail me at dmathers@xtra.co.nz

Dale Mathers
Tauranga

Paul Ohlsen
09-11-2013, 03:43 AM
Hi Dale, that sounds good. I will start a new thread at some stage, we've got a lot of stuff and Mum could write a novel.

Anyway, I found this photo of the Katipo,
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/xmwagonist/4328b230-ec12-4526-865b-d40e1a3fabea.jpg (http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/xmwagonist/media/4328b230-ec12-4526-865b-d40e1a3fabea.jpg.html)

Paul Ohlsen
09-11-2013, 03:51 AM
Here's another in the Marave workshop

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/xmwagonist/scan0002-1.gif (http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/xmwagonist/media/scan0002-1.gif.html)

Paul Ohlsen
09-11-2013, 04:11 AM
And here is the MJ70c Katipo Formula Ford
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/xmwagonist/8db81a2f-e5b9-4dc8-bb74-b70cb69bb5b3.jpg (http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/xmwagonist/media/8db81a2f-e5b9-4dc8-bb74-b70cb69bb5b3.jpg.html)
http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af237/xmwagonist/d87f4df7-9829-473b-bf61-35795bd03542.jpg (http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/xmwagonist/media/d87f4df7-9829-473b-bf61-35795bd03542.jpg.html)

paul lancaster
09-14-2013, 02:26 AM
Hi Paul great photos, what ever happened to the ff?

Paul Ohlsen
09-17-2013, 04:40 AM
No idea sorry, I don't have any history on it from after these photos were taken. Maybe someone else on here might have some clues as to its whereabouts?