PDA

View Full Version : Info re 1982 Ohakea reunion meeting please

faminz
02-01-2020, 02:21 AM
As Roger Dowding has mentioned I am currently having my old Bugeye Sprite restored.
I owned it as a student in 1972 for only 11 months, sold it for an MGB and bought it back from Denise Ganley in 1990.
I recently uncovered 4 photos I took of it racing at the 1982 Ohakea Reunion meeting when owned by another owner.
As this is a significant part of its history I am keen to learn who exactly was racing it on the day.
Possibly someone has a Manawatu Car Club program from the event which may mention it?

shot in the dark I know but worth a punt.

Cheers, Brett

Milan Fistonic
02-01-2020, 04:11 AM
This is the entry list for the under 1500cc sports cars at the 1982 Ohakea meeting.

Roger Dowding
02-01-2020, 06:01 AM
Phil Ganley - is Phyllis ** actually Philomema Ganley- [ as noted by Faminz - Brett Young ] wife of Dennis Ganley, Howden's brother, and Denise Ganley's Mum. " Phil " competed for Austin Healey Car Club in the February 1983, Husband Dennis was competing for Club Lotus, at the Jaguar Drivers Club Le Mans Relay Race.

On checking my Ohakea pictures - most of my action shots were out of focus as had the speed setting wrong, so maybe amongst these static shots. I have this memory issue I thought it was 1983, but was 1982 as noted in my photo's - a Senior Moment - Duhh!

These are what I have of the Sports Car field :

The Sprite in this photo;

This from Milan Fistonic of the the Sports Car entries - both classes to 1500cc and 1501 and over ..

Only had two rolls of film that day, and with the operator error on the camera, not the best of photos.

One of the Sports Cars in action - [ posted before on other threads ]

"faminz " can just see the Sprite in the second photo.. beside the Metropolitan - just see the screen and aerial.

Quote by "faminz "
" shot in the dark I know but worth a punt.

Cheers, Brett "

Shot seems to have worked, Brett, hopefully more details will surface.

faminz
02-01-2020, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=Roger Dowding;72078]Phil Ganley - is Phyllis Ganley, wife of Dennis Ganley, Howden's brother, and Denise Ganley's Mum. " Phil " competed for Austin Healey Car Club in the February 1983, Husband Dennis was competing for Club Lotus, at the Jaguar Drivers Club Le Mans Relay Race.
QUOTE]

I think it’s actually Philomena Ganley as that’s the name on the registration papers when I bought the car in 1990.

Thanks for the info, it was pretty rough even in 1982, you’ll note the wide rims and I think the bonnet hinged forward then.
When I bought it sight unseen in 1989 (as it was my old car from 1972), I had to travel to Greenhithe in Auckland to pick it up and the floor was completely rotten.. I put it on a train to get it down to wellington, took it apart and did a quick restoration on it, Brayshaws in palmy redid the floor for $7k!

Now it’s getting a full restoration and some upgrades finally!

Roger Dowding
02-01-2020, 11:13 PM
" faminz " Brett
" I think it’s actually Philomena Ganley as that’s the name on the registration papers when I bought the car in 1990. "
Must be right, and would understand why she wanted to be called Phil.

Here is " Phil " - hand on bonnet of Tay Urlwins 100 [ M Spec ], at the end of the Jaguar Drivers Le Mans Race.
Other members of Team Healey are gathered to celebrate !!

The Entry List

I have the entry list for the event, but not the results - can send them to you via Messenger, or Email. in higher resolution and in the colour - same as the front page - Posted here too !!