PDA

View Full Version : Early Days of Hot Rodding and Racing in Santa Barbara and beyond.

khyndart in CA
02-28-2020, 01:24 AM
I have mentioned this before but I wanted now to give it a thread of it's own.
I work in Goleta close to Santa Barbara Airport and I drive by this location every day.
There is talk of widening the road and expanding the airport and I wanted to capture some of this before it disappears.
It may not mean much to most of you but this was the site of the first sanctioned drag race in the United States.
April 10th 1949.

A 1949 drag race at Goleta. CA. approaching the finish line across the bridge.

The same bridge today and the finish line was at that change in the pavement.
(Ken H photo. Feb. 2020)

Ray Bell
02-28-2020, 03:02 AM
How's this for an item?

Interviewed by David Phipps in Motor Racing and published in the December, 1959, issue is this bit from Dan Gurney:

When he moved to California Dan became a 'hot-rod' enthusiast. At that time he had a "very nice" 1940 Ford saloon which he traded for a 1932 Ford Coupe, which he describes as "half-way hopped up." Although disappointed by the performance of this car, he later assembled his own Mercury engine, which he used in six different cars ranging from a 1927 model T Ford to a 1940 coupe. He took part in 'Drag' races all over California and went to Bonneville in 1950 where, after a week of work, he coaxed 130.43 mph out of his 1929 Model A "street roadster." This, however, was still some 30 mph slower than the best in its class - and would today be about 80 mph down. "They're really getting the horsepower today - Holy Smoke. They really are amazing. They've got power bursting out just everywhere. And the fuels; now they can keep the engines together using up to 98 per cent nitromethane, or around 50 per cent with superchargers. They could easily out-accelerate any of our Formula One cars - one reached 195 mph by the end of a standing start quarter-mile a few weeks ago."

Roger Dowding
02-28-2020, 05:45 AM
Great Idea Ken H, and as NZ is a bit beyond Santa Barbara [ Goleta, Los Olivas et al ] guess some NZ stuff can squeeze in.
There were Race meeting in Santa Barbara too - can't wait to see the photos

In NZ they Hot Rod / Customs - even made it on Cereal cards.. a very different Zephyr Corvette.

PS ate a lot of Weetbix ..

khyndart in CA
02-28-2020, 09:08 AM
A brief history of the beginnings of drag racing in Goleta / Santa Barbara as written by Tony Baker. (Hot Rodding in Santa Barbara County )

A 1948 Start line photo at Goleta. At the corner of Firestone and Cass.

The same corner today looking toward the bridge at the end of the famous 1/4 mile.
(Not marked in any way as the site of the first US sanctioned drag race which seems a shame.)
Ken H photo.

Paul B
02-28-2020, 10:47 PM
Very cool Ken, I love the older hot rods with side valve V8s. Great piece of history there

khyndart in CA
02-29-2020, 10:45 PM
Although there had been drag racing at Goleta in 1948 it was this "grudge match " between a young Fran Hernandez, who went to on to fame by running the Ford Trans Am racing division about 20 years after this event in April 1949.
It had been arranged by Santa Barbara native,Bob Joehnck who could be called the " grandfather of drag racing". He was the one that arranged the insurance and documentation etc. to run the first legal drag-race in the country.
Fran Hernandez and his 1932 Ford three-window coupe.

Here is a description of the first drag race.
Goleta - The First Drag Race
An excerpt from "High Performance" by Robert C. Post

"On a crisp Sunday morning in 1949 a group of hot rodders converged on a stretch of two-lane road north of Santa Barbara. The road ran westerly toward the ocean from California's Coast Highway, Highway 101. Ordinarily, it provided access to a landing field at Goleta, but on this April weekend a half-mile had been closed off with portable fencing. Although the site was well known among local street racers, this was a special occasion--a match race between two out-of-town celebrities, both of them dry lakes veterans, Tom Cobbs and Fran Hernandez. Cobbs had been winning races all around Los Angeles in his Ford roadster, a 1929 Model-A body channeled over a ‘34 frame. The engine was a ‘34 V-8 with a Roots blower from a GMC diesel truck or bus fitted on top as a supercharger. Cobbs had challenged Hernandez, who raced a fenderless but otherwise stock-bodied ‘32 Ford three-window coupe with a new Mercury V-8 that had been over bored and stroked to 3-3/8 x 4-1/8, 296 cubic inches compared to Cobbs 249. But there was no blower on top, just three Stromberg carburetors on a special manifold.

"There were marked contrasts between the two racers themselves as well as their hot rods. Cobbs was called “a clever engineering sort who could afford, as heir to tobacco fortunes, to experiment and test on Stu Hillborn’s dynamometer.” Hernandez, who managed Vic Edelbrock’s place on West Jefferson Boulevard in Los Angeles, was “a scrappy master of machine shops.” Cobbs hung out in the beach town of Santa Monica with Hillborn, who manufactured fuel injectors for dirt-track racers, and Jack Engle, who who was one of the first Southern Californians to go into business regrinding Detroit camshafts, changing lobe profiles to alter valve timing. Hernandez’s buddies were Bobby Meeks, who worked for Edelbrock, too, Ed Iskenderian, a one-time apricot pitter from Fresno who had a cam grinding shop just down the street from the Edelbrock Equipment Company, and Lou Baney, who rebuilt engines in a shop on South Normandie. Nominally, Cobbs roadster was in “legal” trim and could be driven on the streets, but Hernandez’s coupe lacked such niceties as headlights and mufflers, so he had towed it in with a pickup.

"Other hot rodders--nearly all of them young men around twenty, with just a few girlfriends in evidence---showed up to participate, to drag it out with one another, but the Hernandez-Cobbs match was the feature. Everyone crowded up close for a good view, either at the starting line or near the finish, where there was a hump and the roadway narrowed to cross a culvert. The course that had been marked off allowed the racers three-tenths of a mile to accelerate and sufficient room to stop before coming to a sharp turn beyond the culvert.
There certainly was not much room after the finish line over the bridge as seen in this photo. I don't think the center pole was there then but the building to the left and the trees on the right certainly were. A few racers went through the locked gate and fence and onto airport property which did not please the airport authorities at the time !
(Ken H photo.)

khyndart in CA
02-29-2020, 11:11 PM
The First Drag Race continued.

" Hernandez’s coupe was balky about starting, so it had to be hand-pushed and fired on compression. When it finally kicked over, the exhaust fumes immediately betrayed the presence of something other than gasoline. Cobbs may have been surprised, but Hernandez already had a reputation as one of the select few who were expert in setting up Stromberg carbs for nitro.

"Side by side, a few feet apart, Cobbs and Hernandez edged toward a white line across the pavement, where the starter stood holding a flag on a wooden stick pointed towards the ground. Then, just as all four front tires touched the line, the starter yanked his flag skyward. Open headers roared and Hernandez jumped out in front while the roadster spun its tires, filling the air with clouds of white smoke. Although Cobbs finally regained traction and was closing the gap toward the end, Hernandez’s deuce crossed the culvert a length ahead. He quickly gathered his things, while his friends bolted a towbar to the frame of his coupe and hitched it to the pickup. Then he was gone.

"Word of the outcome quickly got around, and hot rodders rehashed it long afterwards, a diversion known as bench racing. Cobbs had changed to lower rear gears, thinking (mistakenly) that this would give him an advantage out of the chute--could he have won with “lakers gears” like Hernandez had? Did that “Jimmie” blower really produce ten pounds of boost, as some people said? What kind of load was Hernandez running anyway? The collective memory later coalesced as a tale titled “The Day Drag Racing Began,” which was reprinted time and again. While eyewitnesses could attest to its essential accuracy, it had all the makings of a classic legend. The details need not be taken literally.

"Clandestine drag racing had been going on for some time, of course, but what was unique about this particular event is that officials of the Santa Barbara Acceleration Association had sought, successfully, to have the California Highway Patrol confer approval: The races at Goleta were not against the law."

If you only own one book on drag racing, make sure it's "High Performance" by Robert C. Post. Available at better book stores or through the John Hopkins University Press

Tom Cobbs roadster has been beautifully restored by a group including Don Prudhomme.
( From a hotrod.com article.)

(Ken H.)

Roger Dowding
03-01-2020, 09:31 PM
Enjoying this Ken - as a younger fellow used to by NZ Hot Rod Magazine - known as the longest running NZ car magazine.
Keep em coming ..

Went to Wiri in its early days, competed at Meremere once and at Thunderpark Napier - been back to Meremere about 15 years with my son to see the Mopar Nationals - he is a Mopar fan.
First Hot Rod experience was probably this grass sprint meeting, near Riverhead.
Croydon Thompson is his F100 - Custom - Croydon was one of the first guys in NZ to make Custom Mag Wheels back in 1971.

Drag Racing at Meremere in 1977. this was a Car Club rather than Hot Rod Club meeting - Jaguar drivers event.

Somewhere in my archives is a booklet on Drag Racing in the USA in the 1960's and the set of NHRA rules - must dig it out.

khyndart in CA
03-03-2020, 01:35 AM
As mentioned before; Bob Joehnck,
"65466
As written by Tony Baker.

Bob in 1929 Ford Roadster approaching the Goleta start line. (About 1950 )

A good article about a 1932 Bob Joehnck built coupe.
http://hotrodcraft.com/theGarage/index.php?threads/jack-quinton-bob-joehnck-32-3w-coupe.310/

Although he is now 95 yrs. old he can still be seen sometimes at his shop in Santa Barbara. (Bob Joehnck Automotive.)
In this photo it looks like another project under the covers !
(Ken H photo.)

Roger Dowding
03-03-2020, 06:09 AM
Ken H, you live / work in a good place for a " Petrolhead / Motoristi "- must see if I have some California related stuff in my archives.
Thanks for your " inputs "- haven't I read that here before !! - ??.

Paul B
03-05-2020, 09:19 PM
Ken, Love the 29 Roadsters. Great pics!!
Cheers

khyndart in CA
03-06-2020, 01:31 AM
Here is a bit about Bob Joehnck and Ed Edelbrock combining their talents to prepare this famous 1963 Chevrolet Corvette at Bob's garage in Santa Barbara.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/1707-the-1963-chevrolet-corvette-that-made-a-true-contender

( Ken H)

khyndart in CA
03-11-2020, 12:42 AM
Before they went off to WW 2 some of the local lads would gather with their hot rods around Santa Barbara.
The 1929 Ford roadster was popular then and many were put into "mothballs" until they returned.
This roadster has a 1932 grill and 1930 headlights as it cruises on State Street.

A 1929 Ford roadster with a 1932 Duece coupe grill with 1932 I-beam front axle that dropped it 1.5 inches lower than the 1929 axle.

I used to work with Alan Jennings two sons. Alan was a very quiet and nice man.
This is Alan before he went off to war in his 1929 Ford roadster and if it was anything like his sons workmanship it would have been immaculate.

(J. Chard photos )

(Ken H..)

khyndart in CA
03-11-2020, 07:55 AM
A drag race about to begin at Goleta. CA.
Two 1934 Ford coupes.

A dear friend, Willard Partch, in a 1932 Ford roadster in 1954.

( Ken H..)

Paul B
03-11-2020, 09:42 AM
something about the 30s coupes Ken, very cool machines, they will likely never go out of popularity. Nice pics.

khyndart in CA
03-12-2020, 12:37 AM
In the early 1950s many of these young car enthusiasts had helped their dads getting their cars back out of their "mothballs" and also had gone through the excellent automotive classes taught at Santa Barbara High School.(Sadly not much of that is being taught today !)
Here is a group outside Santa Barbara High ready to have some fun. The gentleman second in on the left is a young Sam Foose who went on to become one of the best at customizing cars and his son Chip has carried on the tradition which can be seen in the TV series
"Overhaulin".

An early example of Sam's work can be seen here on a 1922 Ford Model T touring car.
The owner Frank Viera, seen walking toward it the background, has it for sale in this 1958 photo.

Another early example of Sam's work on a 1947 Ford.

Some more examples of Sam Foose's custom workmanship at this site.
Not everyone agreed with it but it was certainly interesting.

https://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_car_photos/beautiful_custom_cars/sam_foose_build_cars/36_ford_coupe/

(Note the car show in the background )

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
03-14-2020, 08:32 AM
By 1951 the drag racing had moved from Goleta, 65 miles north, to the open spaces of the Santa Maria airport area.
This did not stop the enterprising Santa Barbara Airport manager, William Swain, from organizing the first Annual Santa Barbara Road Race in September 1953 and it was a huge success.

In this map of Goleta; Moss Motors is located at the # 1 area. The airport races were held at the # 2 area and the first drag races were held at the # 3 area.

(Ken H.. )

Allan
03-14-2020, 09:23 AM
I see they use the green flag for a "strat" whatever that is.

khyndart in CA
03-14-2020, 09:02 PM
Allan,
That was a test to see if anyone was reading my inputs
You passed the test..well done.:)

Ken

khyndart in CA
03-15-2020, 01:10 AM
What helped get the crowds to gather was that a movie starring Tony Curtis was using race scenes from the Santa Barbara races.
So the females flocked to see Tony and the men went to enjoy the inaugural race meet.
(Note how much Ken Miles was involved as well as driving !

AN aerial view of the first race day. Sept. 1953.
I marked in red where I took some recent photos of the Turn 2 around the building with the black roof. (it is still there.)
Then up to the Turn 3 right- hander that leads onto the only road part that qualified it as a road course.

(Turn 2 around the building.)

(Looking toward Turn 3..)

Onto the straight along the public road.
(Ken H photos.)

khyndart in CA
03-15-2020, 05:09 AM
As the Formula One racing is not happening at the moment, enjoy the racing during this movie that was partly filmed during the 1953 Santa Barbara race meet. See it at about the 36 minute mark of the movie "Johnny Dark".

Ignore the subtitles and turn up the sound and enjoy a 1953-54 movie on full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhGmZ5K3g9A&t=4556s

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
03-18-2020, 08:57 AM
One of the cars that came to race and ended up being featured in the movie was the Tatum Special driven by Chuck Tatum.65594
Racing around the Santa Barbara Airport course.

Chuck Tatum standing next to his GMC powered racer with his navigator.

And in the movie they are all set to go.
(Not sure why it just has one tail light ?)

(Ken H )

Oldfart
03-18-2020, 10:35 AM
I just love the Tatum. One tail light, the article says it had to have one, saves weight and cost for not having more? Thanks for digging up these cool oddities Ken.

Ray Bell
03-19-2020, 01:06 AM
Superb addition to the thread...

khyndart in CA
03-19-2020, 08:29 AM
Another car in the Johnny Dark movie was the Victress S1 Roadster.

It had a long sleek body.

As can be noted in this photo !

( Ken H..)

Paul B
03-19-2020, 10:24 AM
The Victress was a very cool style, great pics Ken, I am enjoying the Fiberglass cars that you are posting.
The Kellison was also a very cool style and way ahead of its time.

Cheers

khyndart in CA
03-22-2020, 01:33 AM
In-car camera style. 1953.
At Santa Barbara / Goleta Airport in a Woodill Wildfire preparing for the Johnny Dark movie.

khyndart in CA
03-22-2020, 08:21 AM
The Woodill Wildfire was the first fiberglass sports car produced in the early 1950s, even before Corvette. It was on the cover of the August 1953 Motor Trend magazine. Built by Dodge and Willys dealer Blanchard Robert "Woody" Woodill from 1952 to 1958 in Downey, California. The Wildfire used a Glasspar fiberglass body. Three of these cars were used in the movie. The # 21 car actually raced at the airport event.
Woodill Wildfires lined up outside their assembly building. The first three were in the movie. The closest one has a Corvette windscreen.

This did not make the car go any faster and although all running gear was contemporary Willys, including the 161 cubic-inch F-head engine. The engine was equipped with a triple carburetor manifold made exclusively for the Wildfire. "The “Canadian border” starting point was actually Lake Tahoe which, being at around 6,500′, explains why the car wouldn’t get out of it’s own way !"
At sea level it was much more competitive.

# 11 on the climb to Lake Tahoe.

# 11 Wildfire speeding toward the finish.

(Ken H..)

Roger Dowding
03-23-2020, 12:25 AM
Good stuff Ken H,
Love these specials - after all we come from a nation of Special builders - ours mainly for reasons of economics and supply restrictions in the 1940's 1950's - then in the 1960's because we had the skills and that DIY can do attitude
Good to see an American selection..
The Ralph Watson, Hec Green, Gordon Brown and Don Ransley's of the 40/50's the George Begg, Garth Souness, Graham McRae and Jamie Aislabie's of the 60's/70's and many others - all contributing to an interesting collection of vehicles ..covered on other threads too !! .

Roger Dowding
03-23-2020, 06:13 AM
Ken H,

a photo that fits into two Threads
- yours - Santa Barbara Road Races,
and
- mine - Austin Healey's -
just found this Gem.

" Barbara Windhorst Austin Healey 100S & Sandy Hale Porsche 550 Spyder, '60 Santa Barbara Road Races
photo - [Alan Grant] "

Have just found my copy of the " NHRA 1966 Drag Racing Rules " handbook -
It has, as well as all the class classifications and and current 1965 records, there are a lot of photos -
Must break out the scanner and camera - not much else to do at the moment.

A random photo ;

khyndart in CA
03-23-2020, 08:15 AM
Thanks Roger.
Here is some more of the Woodill Wildfire.

The straight six Willys engine came standard with a single carb.

Or the race engine with triple carbs.

# 21 Wildfire shows up in this movie trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDhzm8pbEg8

What might have been Mr. Bell !

( Ken H )

Jerry Entin
03-28-2020, 07:00 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/vB322PHv/Ol-Yeller-Santa-Barbara-2.jpg
Santa Barbara in 1964, Frank Monise in Lotus 23 leading
Jerry Entin in Ol Yeller 2 and then Tony Settember in the Washburn Corvette Coupe and Al Caddrobi in Porsche RSK and Bob Challman in Lotus 23.
This was a college town, and for a club race over 30,000 people came out on the weekend. It was unbelievable.

Jerry Entin
03-28-2020, 08:28 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/L55Hkkcq/lancesantarear.jpg
Lance Reventlow in the rear engined Scarab in front of Don Wester and his RSK Porsche at Santa Barbara

Jerry Entin
03-28-2020, 08:32 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/NfzRhpb0/Jay-and-me-2.jpg
Jerry Entin in his Mk 2 McLaren and Jay Hills in his Mk 2 McLaren Santa Barbara in 1967
They are now calling these cars Mk 1B's.

khyndart in CA
03-29-2020, 02:06 AM
Thanks Jerry,
Here is a recent article about the 1966 McLaren.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-mclaren-m1b/

Ken H.

Jerry Entin
03-29-2020, 03:47 AM
My old car was bought by a very nice and Great racer named Jeff Green. He was sadly killed at Mosport in a F 5000 race and never got to run my old car.

It was sold on bring a trailer and the new owner was going to run it this season. At present all racing is side lined due to the Covid 19 Virus..

Jerry Entin
03-29-2020, 11:26 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/tJGpVL7X/Cheetah-at-Santa-2.jpg
Jerry Entin in Cheetah 1965

Ray Bell
03-29-2020, 01:18 PM
I would reckon the Cheetah would have been a real buzz to drive, Jerry...

Jerry Entin
03-29-2020, 01:56 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/jqZb1Shy/Le-Grand-at-Santa-Barbara.png
Jerry Entin in the LeGrand Mk 7 in 1968
This was the last race weekend for the Santa Barbara events. They were held twice a year and due to the airport becoming too congested to hold events they were stopped.

Roger Dowding
03-30-2020, 12:27 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/tJGpVL7X/Cheetah-at-Santa-2.jpg
Jerry Entin in Cheetah 1965

Jerry, I like Cheetahs - my small tribute to them .. [ Models by Spark - purchased when in Australia - at the Gold Coast Model Shop ].

khyndart in CA
04-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Back to September 1953 at Santa Barbara Airport.

The first race begins

There were some interesting vehicles entered including this V-8 powered Morris Minor convertible, bravely driven by Dave Watson.
The hood blew off on the drive to Santa Barbara, so a quick stop for a piece of leather and away she goes !

( Ken H )

Milan Fistonic
04-02-2020, 02:10 AM
A British view of Hot Rods as published in the May 1950 edition of Motor Sport

khyndart in CA
04-02-2020, 03:23 AM
The fiberglass special that did best at Santa Barbara was the Glasspar G2 driven by Bill Pollack.
This car had been built up by two army mates, Ed Martindale and Ted Mangos who formed their company known as Maneco starting out in Canoga Park, CA. in less than ideal condition !
(Seen using the oil heater.)
"Ted lived with me at my parent’s farm in Canoga Park, California. We fixed up an old barn on our property, poured cement for a floor (editor’s note: no dirt floor here gang) and built our first frame. We did have a primitive oil heater in barn, though. Oil dripped on a pan, and the fire burned warm. Good enough to start a business!”
Known as a plastic power house with a Mecury-Ardun engine, they built a fine race car.

I have to admit not knowing much about the Ardun cylinder conversion so I am sharing two sites I found interesting.

https://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/ardunohvconversion.html

http://www.ardun.com/ardun_histrory.htm

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
04-02-2020, 11:54 PM
Amazingly, that conversion was made for both the 'regular' (3.9+ litre) Ford V8 and the very limited production V8/60...

Of course, when Chrysler put the latter into mass production it would have far outstripped the numbers achieved by the bigger one.

nigel watts
04-03-2020, 10:53 PM

Allan
04-04-2020, 12:02 AM
Many years ago, at least 55, I had a friend in Wellington who made his own triple carb manifold for his flathead V8 out of "plastic wood". Looked great and worked well except the the outer two carbs were only for show and the engine ran on the middle carb only. It was a work of art and looked like the real thing.

khyndart in CA
04-05-2020, 07:28 AM
My friend, Stu Hanssen, has located and beautifully restored the 1951 Baldwin Special that his father used to race in California, including Santa Barbara.
This is a photo of the Mecury engine with Ardun heads.
(Ken H photo.)

(Ken H photos.)

Here is an article regarding Stu and the Baldwin.
Stu at speed at Laguna Seca in the 1951 Baldwin Special.
(Concept Carz photo.)

https://www.conceptcarz.com/z25000/baldwin-special.aspx

(Ken H.. )

khyndart in CA
04-07-2020, 07:39 AM
Stu's father, Bill, drove the car in many Southern California events in the 1950s.
Note the tyres are a bit different size compared to today plus it looks much better today with all that paint removed !
1951 Baldwin Special.

A 1949 Baldwin competed at Santa Barbara in 1953.

The car has been beautifully restored as can be seen.
Racing Car
built at Santa Barbara, California, USA
engineers Willis Baldwin
production 1
engine 1946 Mercury V8 w/Edelbrock Cylinder Heads
position Front Longitudinal
aspiration Natural
block material Cast Iron w/Aluminum Cylinder Heads
valvetrain Tripple Stomberg 95 Carburetors
displacement 4660 cc / 284.4 in³
bore 84.1 mm / 3.312 in
stroke 104.8 mm / 4.125 in
compression 9.0:1
power 134.2 kw / 180 bhp @ 4000 rpm
specific output 38.63 bhp per litre
bhp/weight 220.32 bhp per tonne
redline 5000
body / frame Steel & Aluminum Body over Modified 1946 Mercury Frame
driven wheels RWD w/1948 Ford Differential
front tires 6.00-16
rear tires 6.50-16
front brakes Drums
rear brakes Drums
f suspension Rigid Axle
r suspension Live Axle
curb weight 817 kg / 1800 lbs
wheelbase 2540.0 mm / 100 in
transmission 1939 Ford 3-Speed
top speed ~209.17 kph / 130 mph

https://www.supercars.net/blog/1949-baldwin-mercury-special/1949_baldwinmercury_special1/

(Ken H )

khyndart in CA
07-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Yesterday after being absent since March I drove down to Moss Motors past the old circuit that held the Santa Barbara Airport races.
I like to visit the areas of these past events from the 1950s & 60s and photograph how it looks today.
Such as where Phil Hill in his personal 2.9-liter Ferrari passed the Kurtis 500 of Bill Stroppe who was leading easily until he looked back and powered off into the ditch as a surprised Phil Hill went on to one of his first major wins in his career.

The same area in 2020.

2020. Without the crowds and cars.

2020. Just power poles, quiet and memories..

(Ken H)

Paul B
07-19-2020, 08:15 AM
Great pics Ken, Its interesting to see the differences
I love the Baldwin Mercs, 24 stud side valve power!
It would be neat to build one of those.
Cheers

khyndart in CA
07-19-2020, 08:21 AM
English driver Ken Miles was very involved in the Santa Barbara events from scrutineering to driving.
The founder of Moss Motors, Al Moss wrote this memory of Ken Miles.
(Al was a wonderful story teller.)

So I should be grateful to these two gentlemen in that I have a job and I start again tomorrow operating remotely from home.
(It will be interesting to see how that turns out !)

Ken H..

khyndart in CA
08-03-2020, 11:32 PM
I came across some Ken Miles information in the Moss archives and I wanted to share some of it. OK ?

I have to admit I was not a fan of Mr. Miles after 1966 Le Mans 24 Hr race as he felt he had been cheated of the win but if you listen carefully to Chris Amon in this short 50th Anniversary clip, he felt that they were ahead easily by a minute in the # 2 GT 40 when Mr. Ford gave the slow down orders.
Chris would have been the one to know !

https://youtu.be/rukj4oG-Dq8

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/ford-ferrari-le-mans-1966/762842/

Instead you get garbage articles with headings like this.
" The Ford GT40 Mk II that shouldn't have won Le Mans in 1966"
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2015/01/27/the-ford-gt40-mk-ii-that-shouldnt-have-won-le-mans-in-1966-heads-for-restoration

But Ken Miles has grown on me over the years as I have learned of his skills and determination and willingness to help others etc.
He was a tough man.

(Ken H )

khyndart in CA
08-04-2020, 03:05 AM
Ken Miles was born in 1918 near Birmingham at Sutton Coldfield. At age 16 he began an apprenticeship at Wolseley Motors as he had a love for motorbikes and cars at an early age. A trip to Donnington Park in 1939 to watch Tazio Nuvolari impressively manhandle a massive Auto-Union to a win increased his desire to go racing. But the war intervened and served in several conflicts before he got out in 1946.
He bought a Frazer-Nash and installed a Ford V-8 and had fun competing in hillclimbs and club events from Prescott to Silverstone as long as the events were no more than 3 laps as the V-8 overheated on the 4th lap !.

Plus some Trials events with his wife Mollie ( A good test of a marriage !)

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
08-09-2020, 07:45 AM
Al Moss had business contacts with John Beazley who was the general manager for Gough Industries who were an importer and distributor for MG in California. Beazley was from Ken Miles hometown and knew Ken would be a good service manager in their Los Angeles plant.
So Ken Miles moved to the US with his young family just before Christmas in 1951.
Ken found the time and used his skills to build a MG Special known as the R-1.
It was very successful with Ken driving;
"old Number 50" incorporated a slightly modified MGTD Mk 2 engine, stock TD gearbox and reworked TC brakes and wheels.
In 1953 Ken won 10 races in a row including at Santa Barbara in the under 1500 cc Class.

The car has been beautifully restored and often appears at historic events.

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
08-09-2020, 01:58 PM
That is a smart-looking car...

And a nice restoration.

khyndart in CA
08-09-2020, 03:37 PM
Ken Miles did all the work himself.
Note that he built it like an English RHD.

It must be just for display now as it would need at least a roll cage to compete wouldn't it ?

KH

Oldfart
08-09-2020, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the link to Chris Ken. Even the so-called deadheat had cars staggered so I have never been able to comprehend the "result"

khyndart in CA
08-14-2020, 07:30 AM
Ken Miles sold the R-1 MG Special to fellow racer Cy Yedor as he needed the money to build his second MG Special for the 1955 season on the West coast tracks in the US. The new special was dubbed "The Flying Shingle" due to its low profile at that time. It had a cut down MG grille, a modified TF engine with a TC gearbox and like all MGTCs it was RHD and he stated that it took him 4500 man-hours to complete.
It was a winner right from the beginning.
One of its first races was at the Santa Barbara Airport races of 1955.

Ken preparing his car before racing at Santa Barbara.

Ken Miles on the Santa Barbara course. ( # 50 was a favored number for Ken )

1955 at Pebble Beach. Both of Ken Miles MG Specials together on the grid with Cy Yedor driving the R-1.

The beautifully built car was deservedly on the cover of the May 1955 Road & Track magazine.

These last two photos show how the car was shown at the 2006 Pebble Beach gathering and the beautiful craftsmanship of Ken Miles.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
08-16-2020, 06:55 AM
Something we don't see enough of.
A salute to the racing mechanic.
This one from 1955.

How the Santa Barbara classes were assigned in 1955.

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
08-16-2020, 11:55 PM
Ken H,

Like that class information - good stuff.

Have recently borrowed a series of photo's [ maybe considered stolen ] from an archive that BMC BOY has - a sereis of Ngatives which he has scanned to positives on the Matamata Street Races - seem to be from 1964 / 65 meetings. Now to find a thread to put them on.
Already have photos from Alan Boyle, John Larry Lawton and stuff - programme results from others - so maybe a -
" Waikato / Bay of Plenty story " , on its own thread -
not on Baypark, just the earlier stuff.
Mount Maunganui - street, Matamata street - Waharoa grass airfield, plus a few Hillclimbs by TVCC, Hamilton CC and others.
Will have to have a think about it.
The BMC BOY archives included a couple of photos with the Ruddspeed 3000 AH 4000/4200 of Russell Leathers - Ruddspeed , then the McLaughlin brothers and now with Myles Hicks,Gavin's son - was going to be Gavin's project, sadly he didn't see it through.
Have just seen a recent photo of the progress.

Keep up the Santa Barbara story - as a guy who likes Hot Rods as well as " English Sports Cars " I enjoy it.
Never owned one, the closest I got was driving this. !!

My sons - which he brought to Auckland for me to sell when he went to Australia in 1991. Pity really, It was serious bit of kit !!

Photos from Herne Barbara - those garages .. Honourable Son [my stepson ] and his Mum - my Wife in the Car. 1991

khyndart in CA
08-17-2020, 07:02 AM
Ah Roger,
Usually at this time I am doing a thread about the Laguna Seca Historic Meet but it was not to be the case this year.
There is even talk that the track may be sold for housing development which would indeed be a sad occasion.

Another entrant at Santa Barbara in 1955 was movie actor James Dean driving a Porsche 356 Super Speedster # 33

https://youtu.be/ssTgzX2_5UY

Dean liked the look of the Porsche 550 Spyder that was being raced at Santa Barbara.

James Dean purchased a brand new Porsche 550 Spyder when he returned to Los Angeles.

It was in his new car about 3 weeks after the Santa Barbara races, that he was killed in a high speed collision about 140 miles further north.
And the legend of James Dean began and the place of his accident is visited by many to this day.

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
08-17-2020, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Ken H,
- have read a book about James Dean with quite a section on the Cars [ the two Porsche' ] and that accident. He was supposed to have the car on the trailer towed by the Ford Wagon, but he and Ralf decided to drive it, being hit by Donald Turnupseed [ spelling ? ] at the junction. Lots of theories as to why ?? the sun, reflections etc, etc..
Cheers

Roger

khyndart in CA
08-21-2020, 06:30 PM
During 1956 Ken Miles was part of the British George Eyston team that went to the Bonneville salt flats in Utah with a beautiful MG Special to set some international speed records.
I found this 20 minute YouTube clip most interesting.

https://youtu.be/83AQiSCZvIg

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
08-22-2020, 09:14 PM
For the 1956 racing season in California, Miles had put his skills into taking a 1955 Cooper T39 "Bobtail" sports car and he put in a Porsche 550 Spyder engine which allowed the front radiator to be removed and produced a sleek and again an instant winner including the races at Santa Barbara and a new track that he helped design at the Paramount Ranch north of Los Angeles.
Once again in his favorite number 50 Ken Miles drives to victory in the Cooper Porsche {Pooper}
(Allen Kuhn photo )

Another view of # 50 in 1956.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
08-23-2020, 12:28 AM
This is part of my "Santa Barbara and beyond."
The Paramount Ranch race course was situated in the hills between Malibu and the Ventura Highway # 101.
Many movies were filmed around here including the Gunsmoke series and everyone's favorite "Little House on the Prairie"
New owners of the ranch built a race course and Ken Miles helped with the design and layout.
Being close to LA they had good crowds and a lot of exciting racing.
In fact it was so exciting and dangerous the track was closed down after just 18 months due to the fatalities (3) and other injuries etc..
August 1956 to Dec. 1957.

One of the first races. August 15 1956.
" Thousands of Southern California spectators witnessed Harrison Evans, in his Ferrari Monza, battle it out with Eric Hauser, Morgansen Special, Sunday August 19, at the first sports car road race to be held at the Paramount Ranch in Agoura, California. Evans zoomed across the finish line just two seconds ahead of the home-build Special to chalk-up another victory for Ferrari banners. Richie Ginther, driving a Von Neumann Porsche, upset favorite Jack McAfee in Saturday’s go by a close half-second proving that the young driver belongs with the top ranking drivers on the West Coast. Ginther sailed to an easy victory in the Sunday under 1500cc race also when the closely anticipated race between him and McAfee failed to materialize after McAfee’s Porsche was forced out early in the race."

The same area as it looks today.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
02-20-2021, 09:21 AM
I was recently at small gathering talking to a couple I've known for over 20 years and I mentioned how I enjoyed going back to NZ to visit family and also go to race meets if possible during the warm NZ summers. The wife, said she didn't know I was interested in racing otherwise she would have had me meet her mother who sadly passed away in 2014.
" She took me to lots of races at Santa Barbara, Paramount Ranch, Torrey Pines and Riverside etc. as a child, because she was the "Lady Racer," Ruth Levy.
Ruth lived her final years just a few miles away in Solvang and I truly regret not having met her and discussing her remarkable driving career. Although if she had not liked my questions she would have quickly let me know as her reputation of choice words was well known ! Her daughter Jackie has been a real gem and given me several books from Ruth's collection and I will attempt to share some of that content here;

Ruth moved to California with her two daughters from New York in early 1956 after divorcing Lou Levy who was a well known jazz pianist with Tommy Dorsey's Band etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Levy_(pianist).
She had learned to drive on the icy roads and lakes of Minnesota growing up on her parents Minneapolis farm and always wanted to be a race driver among other pursuits ! She had done some ice racing with a new Porsche Speedster at Lake Phelan in 1955.That is Ruth on the left
68896 waiting for the refueling.

After arriving in California Ruth entered the first race meet at Paramount Ranch, August 1956.
Unheralded and unknown she proceeded to show others her driving skills.

In that first race Ruth drove like a seasoned expert and won her class driving driving her Porsche # 253.
Narrowly defeating Bob Bondurant ( https://bondurant.com/ ) in Morgan # 19 and Lew Spencer( Morgan # 145)
Lew would go on to assist Carroll Shelby in developing the Shelby Cobra and also drive for the Shelby Team.

(To be continued.. Ken H)

khyndart in CA
02-21-2021, 09:29 AM
The next day Ruth came out again and easily won the ladies race.
Collecting a course marker cone on the way.
(Al Moss photo.)

After five laps Ruth was so far ahead at the finish and no other competitor was in sight !
(Ruth Levy collection )

Ruth's daughter Jackie, told me today that she remembers gatherings at her home and many drivers would come around to visit after driving at the Paramount and other races.
Such as; Phil Hill, who was a lifelong friend, Richie Ginther, Dan Gurney, Lance Reventlow, Dan Gurney etc.
Jackie was about 6 years old but it was a wonderful memory that she has never forgotten especially as she had no dad and these visitors treated her like a little princess.

( Ken H )

Roger Dowding
02-22-2021, 06:04 AM
Good stuff Ken H,

Thanks for sharing .. and I have been to Solvang, the " Danish Town " of the Pacific Central Coast, California - interesting place.

khyndart in CA
02-24-2021, 10:02 AM
Ruth was trying to get quicker in her Porsche 356 Speedster and one day in January 1957 went to the Willow Springs circuit inland from LA and was running laps against fellow Speedster drivers including Dan Gurney. Carroll Shelby was there with his team owner John Edgar. They were impressed enough with Ruth's previous results and her driving that day plus John wanted to add a female driver to his stable of drivers so he invited Ruth to join the team which was a tremendous opportunity for her and she did not disappoint the team in 1957.

Once upon a time, long before the Penske fleet …
One of the very first Big Race Car Transporters on the racing scene, parked here at the Palm Springs Airport in November 1956. The hot-rodded GMC tractor hauled this Fruehauf trailer designed to carry three race cars and fitted with stove, refrigerator, sink, well-stocked liquor and Champagne bar, and four pull-down sleep bunks. The two John Edgar-owned Ferraris are (left) the former factory 1954 Le Mans-winning 375 Plus s/n 0396AM (rebodied by Scaglietti) # 78 and the 1955 Carroll Shelby-driven Palm Springs-race winning 410 Sport s/n 0598CM. # 98. An Edgar 550 Porsche Spyder rests snugly inside the famous, gleaming rig topped with observation deck..

Ruth Levy was assigned a 1955 Porsche Type 550 Spyder # 0047 that had been driven in races in Europe including the 1955 Le Mans where it finished 4th in that tragic race.

Previous drivers included Wolfgang Von Trips, Hans Herrmann and Stirling Moss.
(As Jackie says "I wish Mum had tucked this one away in a garage back then" which is rather an understatement!)

Stirling drove the car # 34 at the 1955 Goodwood 9 hour race.
"In August 1955, the Porsche 550s were back, this time for the nine hour Goodwood. Seidel and Steed in 550-15 with #35 came in 3rd place in the 1.5 class, but the main focus was on Stirling Moss who was assessing different teams to join following the withdrawal of Mercedes from the competition resulting from the tragic Le Mans accident. Teamed up with von Hanstein in 550-0047 with race #34, unfortunately they were forced to retire on the 237th lap due to an accident."

Stirling Moss in Porsche # 34 chasing a Cooper T40 Bristol # 23 through the Goodwood Chicane. 1955.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
02-25-2021, 08:57 AM
After competing in Europe during 1955, the Porsche factory brought the 1955 Porsche Type 550 Spyder # 0047 over to Florida
to compete in 1956 12 Hour Race at Sebring. March `1956. As car number 41. It came in 6th driven by Hans Herrmann and Wolfgang Von Trips.

( Ken H )

khyndart in CA
02-26-2021, 09:21 AM
By 1957 the Porsche 550 Spyder # 0047 had been well sorted out and Ruth Levy won ladies races all over California from Riverside to Stockton. At one time winning 6 races in a row and she went on to win the West Coast Women's Championship for 1957.

Ruth on her way to a win at Santa Barbara. # 88 in 1957.

Ruth winning at Pomona. # 88 1957

Even after Ruth came up against some hay bales in # 143 she was still able to win the race at Stockton.

Another win for Ruth Levy at Stockton. 1957.

(KH.)

khyndart in CA
02-28-2021, 09:48 AM
I look forward to seeing Jackie tomorrow for more stories about her mother, Ruth Levy.

In February 1957, the Edgar team was at New Smyrna Beach in Florida, just south of Daytona.
The Edgar team’s Porsche driver Ruth Levy was also at New Smyrna and Carroll Shelby invited her to try the 375 Plus Ferrari 4.9 That had won the 1954 34 Hours of Le Mans.
Ruth had to have pillows installed for her to sit on and no crash helmet was available !
She managed one lap before turning it upside-down in the sand !

Ruth decided then that the smaller Porsche 550 Spyder was the best car for her to drive.

Ruth flying across the sand, without a helmet, shortly before she crashed.

(Ken H..)

Ray Bell
02-28-2021, 11:11 PM
That would leave Jackie feeling she was pretty lucky to be born, surely?

khyndart in CA
03-01-2021, 06:36 AM
Ray,
She probably tucked her small body down as the pillows fell out and that Ferrari headrest helped protect her as well !
The more I read and learn about Ruth Levy the more I admire Jackie who as I mentioned is a wonderful woman who was born in 1952.
So by 1957 she was a 5 year old whose dad had left when she was two and her mother was seldom home during the racing season and then had remarried in 1957 for a short period.
I can only imagine how rough it was for Jackie and not something she is willing to easily discuss.

(Ken H..)

khyndart in CA
03-03-2021, 09:36 AM
While Ruth was winning races in the western United States another fast lady was winning in the east. Denise McCluggage was an excellent driver and writer who would go on to be the editor of a well liked racing publication over here "Autoweek" They were friends off the track and very competitive on the track. But the end of October,1957 Ruth flew to New York to join up with Denise McCluggage for a flight to Caracas, Venezuela for the Gran Premio International - a 1,000-kilometer epic in the midst of a revolution! Ruth and Denise, in the latter's RS Spyder again, distinguished themselves as the first entry of an all-woman team representing the United States in international competition. And splendid they were -finishing fourth in class and 13th overall in a brutal race that decimated Maserati's works team and saw Phil Hill, the apple of Denise's eye, win with Peter Collins in a factory Ferrari 335s. "It was all party-ville down there," says Ruth. "I had a blast!" But the revolution, on hold for the race, was now underway again. According to Levy: "There's a story they were shooting at the car-transport planes as they took off.. ."
Ruth never forgot that it was almost safer on the track than off it.
Although there no fatalities the race will be remembered as the demise of the Maserati racing division as it was a dreadful event for them and I will add some excerpts explaining why. They started the weekend closely tied to Ferrari in the world sports car championship for 1957.
The 1957 Venezuelan Grand Prix.

Masten Gregory in the Temple Buell Maserati, got off to a good start, and found it easy to pass the Ferraris and Thompson on the long back straight. As Gregory braked for the narrow turn over a bridge, he glanced over his shoulder to see how far ahead of the Ferraris he was. This was a near-fatal miscalculation. In doing so, his car hit the curbing and overturned, trapping Gregory underneath. As this was on the opening lap, the Maserati would have had a full (60 gallons) tank of petrol, fearing fire he did not waiting for the marshals and kicked one of the doors off its hinges and crawled away, covered in blood from facial cuts.[1]

Meanwhile, Jean Behra’s 450S had moved up into third place, trailing Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins. As for Moss, he cut through the field at an incredible pace, passing 22 cars on the first lap, to cross the start line in tenth place. By lap seven, Behra had overtaken Hawthorn. By lap 16, Moss had passed both Behra and Hawthorn, and with Jo Bonnier’s 300S moving into a position of close support, raising Maserati championship hopes despite the demise of Buell’s car.[1]

On the 32nd lap, Moss had smashed the lap record and held a two-minute lead over Behra. Then disaster struck, as on the next circuit Moss flashed his headlights as a warning to Joseph Hap Dressel in a slower AC Ace. Dressel pulled right into Moss’s braking line, hoping the Englishmen would tuck in behind. Moss could not and the cars collided. The AC careened into a lamppost and was cut in half, nearly costing Dressel his life. As for Moss, he was badly shaken and front end of Maserati was torn off. Just four laps later, Behra brought the remaining 450S into the pits for re-fuelling. Once the car was refulled, the mechanic pulled out the hose and Behra told to go. When he hit the started button, there was an explosion and a belch of flame at the rear of the car, with burning petrol spewing out the fuel hose. The mechanic tried to smother the flaming hose while Behra vaulted out of the car, his overalls afire. The local fire brigade had the fire out almost as suddenly as it began. Behra was badly bruised from failing heavily on the concrete pit apron.
As for the car, it was all right, so team principal, Nello Ugolini instructed a dazed Moss to drive the smoking car, which was only three minutes behind the Ferrari. A lap later, Moss was back in pit lane, the seat was still smoldering, and so was Moss. The embers were doused, and Harry Schell took over the car. Schell was due to relieve Bonnier. Schell put up a tremendous show, pushing the 450S as fast as it could go and ultimately, he took the lead.

On lap 55, Schell was lapping Bonnier, when the slower car suffered a tyre blowout. Although Bonnier fought it, his car slewed around Schell’s path. With both cars out of control, Bonnier elected to bail out at about 80 mph when he realised his car was going to collide with a lamppost. The post first cut halfway through the car, near the driver’s seat, then fell brokenly on top of Schell’s car; the car in flames, Schell jumped out just before the 450S hit a stone wall.

At one single stroke, the last Maseratis were out of the race, and their championship hopes over.

Two weeks later Maserati announced that a controlled administration was taking over the management of the company and that the racing department was closed... Caracas was the end of the line !

Stirling Moss in the lead in his Maserati 450S # 4

Artist Michael Turner's depiction of the Stirling Moss crash.

Jo Bonnier Maserati 300S # 6

Harry Schell Maserati 450S # 2 in flames after colliding with the Bonnier Maserati !

This chart shows what a disastrous day it was for the Maserati cars and the end of an era of their racing. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt.

The final results of the 1957 Venezuelan Grand Prix with our ladies finishing in a fine 13th place considering all the mayhem on and off the track !

(Ken H)

Allan
03-03-2021, 07:17 PM
There are some great names in those two lists. It looks like anyone who was anyone in motor racing in those days was there.

khyndart in CA
03-14-2021, 10:08 AM
I may have mixed up the Porsche 550 Spyder chassis numbers that Ruth Levy drove.
At least it led to some interesting reading for me.
One source had her in chassis # 0047

http://type550.com/history/chassis-number/550-0047/

Another article written in 2006 by the son of her team, Will Edgar, had her in chassis # 0081.
This has an interesting history involving New Zealanders and Australians.

https://edgarmotorsport.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/battleroyalesebringporsches-excellence-edgar.pdf

Graham McRae also produced a Porsche Spyder 500 Replica from 1990 to 2003.
These replicas are renowned for their attention to detail and high level of craftsmanship.
Of the 38 produced I imagine some were LHD ?

A McRae 550 Spyder Replica

(Ken H )

Ray Bell
03-14-2021, 12:30 PM
911 wheels?

Roger Dowding
03-15-2021, 04:26 AM
Another McRae 550 - the car that was built for John B [ John Bennoch ]. This car used to sit in the same apartment block garage as my MX5, back in 1998 -2000 until John sold it.

Here at Whenuapai Wings and Wheels around 1999. On Track

In the paddock

John's other Porsche a 944 Cabriolet and UN7284 my MX5.

khyndart in CA
03-20-2021, 08:55 AM
In December 1957 Ruth Levy went to the Nassau Speed Week in the Bahamas.

As usual Ruth enjoyed herself and this is a quote from an interview.

“The parties, at least for me, were the best part of racing,” recalled Ruth. “Raving out doing the limbo at the Junkanoo an in-club, avoiding Nassau. Black tie-stuffy affairs. Most of the time I hung out with Stirling Moss’s wife, Katie, Joe Bonnier, Bruce Kessler and Lance Reventlow.”

Her new team owner, Stan Sugarman, had bought the two Edgar 550 Spyders and Ruth joined her new team and found her favorite car had been loaned out during the week and the engine had been blown up.
Friends off the track and great rivals on the track.
Ruth Levy on the L. sharing a joke with Denise McCluggage at Nassau.

Ruth was very annoyed as she wanted to beat Denise McCluggage in the Woman's Races.
Stirling Moss offered his Aston Martin DBR2 # 1 for Ruth to drive.
Stirling was not happy with this Aston Martin as it lacked performance.

Lance Reventlow warned Ruth the seat belts were too loose and she could hardly touch the pedals but she was determined to race the 3.7 liter beast.

During the first heat the two ladies had a great battle and Denise just barely won the race in her Spyder 550.

During the second heat Ruth moved into the lead on the last lap but she over-did it on the last corner.
Ruth being tended to after her accident, including Lance Reventlow in the dark shirt

The car rolled and tossed Ruth out, luckily without serious injury. Her mistake cost her the race, wrecked Stirling’s Aston Martin, and made a good bit of news.

She was asked later" What happened, did you run out of brakes ?"
" No, replied Ruth," I just run out of brains ! "

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
03-20-2021, 12:24 PM
Great stuff, Ken...

Keep it coming.

khyndart in CA
03-21-2021, 08:38 AM
Because Ruth wrecked the Aston Martin of Stirling Moss, he was offered a drive by Temple Buell, a wealthy Denver oil man who "rented" a car for Stirling to drive in the Nassau Trophy race . The Ferrari 290 MM V-12 3500 cc ran well and Stirling went on to win the race !

I enjoy reading the entry lists for this week of racing at Nassau in 1957.
A week of 15 events with the best drivers in the world competing sounds grand doesn't it ?

http://www.wsrp.cz/nassau1957.html

I do have a question for Roger;
What is this car that Peter Collins drove at this event ?
# 18 Peter Collins (GB) Austin-Healey 100-6 Special #X224 - Ferrari 500-0540 L4 2600 cc

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
03-23-2021, 08:31 AM
Ruth Levy co-drove with Denise McCluggage at Sebring in March, 1958 in a 747-cc Abarth-Fiat in the 12 Hour race.
But after the two crashes and the loss of friends (Including Peter Collins) during the 1958 season, Ruth decided racing was getting too
dangerous and retired from racing after just 3 remarkable race seasons where she won most of the races she entered in California !.
Ruth had an interesting life even away from the track.
Some quotes from a Will Edgar interview;
" I went to Riverside once after that with my daughter Pam and we sat there in the esses. And I said to her, 'I've gotta get out of here.' I was a freak sitting there watching a sport I loved but was no longer involved in. We left."
After that, Ruth painted, sang in a bar, lived a hippie's life in Pagosa Springs, Colorado, cowgirled, cooked on a wood stove, herded goats, got married to a cowboy, divorced him, married a biker from Texas, lived in Fredericksburg for a while, painted some more, wrote cowboy -cowgirl?- poetry, got published, and moved out west to California again, to Solvang

" We're talking about fast times half a century ago, when the Speedsters and Spyders were something - really and truly something -and Ruth Levy, who learned to slide her ass around on Minnesota ice, was one of the best who ever drove them."

Darn. I wish could have had the opportunity to sit on her back porch and had a good chat with her, just 5 miles from home for about 8 years before she passed away in Dec. 2014.

Jackie has appreciated me putting these words together about her mother, "MamaRuth" and I have had fun doing it.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
03-23-2021, 08:41 AM
P.S.
Is there much interest on TRS in the old California tracks and people that I prattle on about ?
I enjoy finding out about places or roads that I drive on plus the history etc and I like to share but I don't want to be a bore.
Your honest inputs are appreciated.
Ken H.

Allan
03-23-2021, 09:16 AM
Just keep prattling Ken, we love it!

Ray Bell
03-23-2021, 02:50 PM
Will you get to Corona with it, Ken?

Even if you don't, we'll appreciate whatever you do...

Kevin Hirst
03-23-2021, 08:30 PM
P.S.
Is there much interest on TRS in the old California tracks and people that I prattle on about ?
I enjoy finding out about places or roads that I drive on plus the history etc and I like to share but I don't want to be a bore.
Your honest inputs are appreciated.
Ken H.

Yes please Ken, great stuff to hear about.

Roger Dowding
03-24-2021, 05:16 AM
Ken H
re ;
Question " # 18 Peter Collins (GB) Austin-Healey 100-6 Special #X224 "
The number X224 rings a bell .. must dig out my books. May even have a photo of it somewhere.

More to come on this
Roger

Roger Dowding
03-24-2021, 06:07 AM
Because Ruth wrecked the Aston Martin of Stirling Moss, he was offered a drive by Temple Buell, a wealthy Denver oil man who "rented" a car for Stirling to drive in the Nassau Trophy race . The Ferrari 290 MM V-12 3500 cc ran well and Stirling went on to win the race !

I enjoy reading the entry lists for this week of racing at Nassau in 1957.
A week of 15 events with the best drivers in the world competing sounds grand doesn't it ?

http://www.wsrp.cz/nassau1957.html

I do have a question for Roger;
What is this car that Peter Collins drove at this event ?
# 18 Peter Collins (GB) Austin-Healey 100-6 Special #X224 - Ferrari 500-0540 L4 2600 cc

(Ken H)

X224, Well a rather unusual car as that entry would suggest.

In Geoffrey Healey's book " Healey - The Specials " there is quite a bit of information.

Brief description above a photo of the car in the book is ;
" X224 a modified 100S chassis fitted with a Ferrari Grand Prix engine ".
The story is that Peter Collins was a good friend of DMH [ Donald Healey ] and he suggested the use of a Ferrari 2.5 engine.
The car had the following ;
- MGA Rack and Pinion steering.
- Ferrari engine and rear axle assembly - presume Ferrari gearbox
- Body on the 100S was the long nose version developed from the 1956 record breaker.

Only photos I can find, so far, are in the book and they are of the chassis with engine and one of the front suspension an steering. [ To be copied later]

Will keep looking ;

Meanwhile, The Healey Books, three of Geoff's and one of Donald's

The Cover of the Book. the third of Geoffrey Healey's books on Healey and Austin Healey.
Front and Back covers;
This streamliner / record breaker is an earlier car from 1954 before the 100S arrived.

khyndart in CA
03-24-2021, 07:53 AM
Roger,
I did find some info. about the X224 Healey/ Ferrari.

" This car was a six-cylinder chassis with extended front and rear bodywork and fitted with a four-cylinder 2.5 litre Ferrari
DOHC engine.
However it was not without its faults, such as when it had a full load of fuel the ground clearance was zero, so much so that the exhaust pipe acted as the suspension !
Despite this, Collins won Class D (up to 3-litres) in the car, but it was decided that the combination of the Ferrari engine and Austin-Healey chassis wasn’t a success and it was confined to history.
However the car was run again with a six cylinder Austin engine with Roy Salvadori driving and found to be quicker and more reliable."

Sept. 2013 (Hundreds and Thousands)
The official newsletter of the Austin-Healey Owners Club of Victoria incorporated.

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
03-24-2021, 08:20 AM
Ken H,
" Thank you for your input " to your own thread. [As you would say " quote " ]
I guess you realise that I will need that information and image and will " borrow " them for the AH thread.
Cheers
Roger

PS
The background vehicles in the photo - a Ford Woody - late 1940's, a Morris Minor and an Austin A50 [ pre Farina ] Utility.
UTE in Australasia, Pick up truck in the USA;
What is the proper English word for such vehicles ? , as not big enough to be a Truck ?? .. " utility " or ???

Wikipaedia says that the A50 came out in the following versions ;

" 4-door estate
4-door saloon
2-door van
2-door coupé utility (pickup) "

So guess they are the " Coupe Utility ".

Roger Dowding
03-25-2021, 04:48 AM
Photo by Bob Boxberger - Paul O'Neill archives ;

Question One : name the driver [ or just look at the photo - very professional sign writing of the numbers ! **]

** name is on the photo title -just hover over the picture

Question Two ; for Ken H,
Is the Torrey Pines referred to, the place in San Diego, California ??.
In which case only a few hours drive away from Los Olivos.

Have driven from Fountain Valley LA, to San Diego and back in a day, back in 1988 in a Ford Thunderbird a Hertz Rental - the 1980's V6 model - I wanted a Toyota Corolla - size car, being from NZ, but got upgraded.
It was a good drive too for those big US Freeways, we took it up to San Francisco where we left it to catch the Amtrak to Salem Oregon.

khyndart in CA
03-25-2021, 07:52 AM
Roger,
You are correct. Torrey Pines is located on the coast north of San Diego city between La Jolla and Del Mar.
You are beating me to my upcoming "prattles" about the Torrey Pines and Del Mar circuits.

Stirling was a guest at the final Torrey Pines event in January 1956.
(It looks like that masking tape was a bit difficult to make O type numbers !)

Seems like Stirling was a naughty lad away from the track also !

" 69112"

(From a 2001 article.)

Ken H..

Roger Dowding
03-25-2021, 09:07 AM
Great story Ken H, and thanks for the confirmation / information " inputs "..

A map of the track and where it was back then - is that among your vast archives !! ??
Cheers
Roger

Ray Bell
03-25-2021, 11:41 PM
Roger, I'm interested in your note, "pre-Farina", as it gives the impression that there were Farina A50s...

The first Farina version was the A55, then came the A60. Later that grew two cylinders as it morphed into the Freeway.

The term "coupé utility" has been used in Australia since the beginning of the breed (1934?) but the 'coupé' part is usually omitted. The A50 utility was a fairly rare bird here, it didn't have the payload space of the Morris Oxford and it barely had as much as the Morris Minor if you weren't worried about performance. Of course, once Holden utes hit their stride there weren't many competitors sold all that well anyway.

Roger Dowding
03-26-2021, 05:06 AM
Ray Bell
re; " Austin A50 [ pre Farina ] Utility. " perhaps I should have said Austin Cambridge which came in A40 A50 A55 and A60 variants.
Cheers

khyndart in CA
03-26-2021, 08:41 AM
Back to Torrey Pines. January 1956.
I found a short silent movie of racing at the last race at the circuit before it was changed into a famous golf course.
https://vimeo.com/19175198

Phil Hill ; Ferrari 500 Mondial #0438MD - Ferrari L4 1998 cc N/A before painting his # 82 on after driving the car up from Los Angeles and then driving home after the racing

I added this site to so one could use it to identify some of the cars by the numbers

https://www.racingsportscars.com/photo/Torrey_Pines-1956-01-15.html

Ken H

khyndart in CA
03-27-2021, 08:39 AM
The amazing Mr. Moss
You may notice in the Torrey Pines movie seeing briefly Stirling Moss relaxing and wearing a set of Mickey Mouse ears.
This was on January 14th 1956.
On January 7th 1956 Stirling was driving his Maserati 250F / Maserati 2497cc 6cyl # 7 to victory in the Third NZ NZGP at Ardmore.
He probably celebrated for a day or so and then droned his way across the Pacific in possibly a Super Constellation to Los Angeles and then visited Disneyland which had recently opened in July 1955.
That would be where he got the "Mickey Mouse ears.
Then he comes down to Torrey Pines and drives a few laps in a Healey 100S before getting put in the "Slammer" for speeding around
San Diego.
Never a dull moment with our Stirling !

Ken H

Roger Dowding
03-28-2021, 04:26 AM
A great clip Ken H, and a couple of Healey's in the event Mr Moss in the 100S and a red 100 [ four ] with taped over front of the wings.

" You may notice in the Torrey Pines movie seeing briefly Stirling Moss relaxing and wearing a set of Mickey Mouse ears.
This was on January 14th 1956. "

He was a busy boy, and a bit of a ladies man too !!

Thanks for all the information, Ken.
More for my Healey archives. The chassis number is great to have [ see note below ]
:cool:

More ;
From the entry list the car was owned by a W Pringle as raced by Roy Jackson-Moore. In the list of cars with photos I see it is Chassis AHS3508- a very early car and S Moss is listed as DNS.
Great stuff Ken
Thanks again.
Roger

khyndart in CA
03-29-2021, 08:11 AM
Will you get to Corona with it, Ken?

Even if you don't, we'll appreciate whatever you do...

Ray,
We are aging !
Remember this thread last year ?
http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?529-Old-Race-Tracks/page20&highlight=lost+race+tracks
(From post # 392 )

Ken H..

khyndart in CA
03-30-2021, 09:11 AM
A bit about the Torrey Pines course.
(2008 Golf Digest )
"The site was formerly an army camp.

In 1940, fearful of a Japanese invasion, the federal government leased 710 acres of the Torrey Pines mesa from the city of San Diego for $1 per year, as well as 500 adjacent acres from private landowners, to create an artillery training camp. Camp Callan opened in January 1941, 11 months before Pearl Harbor and the American entry into World War II. It became a city of 15,000, with paved streets and nearly 300 buildings, including three theaters and five chapels.

Less than three months after the Japanese surrender in August 1945, the camp was declared surplus and the lease terminated. The feds then sold all the buildings to San Diego for $200,000, a princely sum at the time."

After the buildings had been razed, the streets of Camp Callan remained, and with the use of some rubber cones and hay bales, it became the Torrey Pines Race Course in 1951, a twisting, turning 2.7 mile circuit on which both sports cars and grand-prix racers competed. There is nothing left of the race course today, but old-timers recall the start-finish line somewhere in the vicinity of the eighth green of the South course. Drivers headed north, turned left (across what is today the sixth fairway) on a loop that headed toward the ocean, then away from it (east on the first fairway of the North Course). Turning north again, the race track soon made two right turns to head south on a long "straightaway" (which had a couple of jogs in it) parallel to the Pacific Coast Highway (now Torrey Pines Boulevard). Today, that straightaway is occupied by a small practice range, parking lots, the Torrey Pines Lodge, a Hilton hotel and many office buildings. The final loop crossed somewhere along the ninth and 15th holes.

In 1955 it was decided to convert the raceway into 36 golf holes. Its last race was conducted in January 1956, "

To be continued..
(KH)

khyndart in CA
03-30-2021, 09:32 PM
In this shrunken Google image the race course wound around in the green area that is now the Torrey Pines Golf Course.
My wife worked at the University on the upper right.
In the lower right is Black's Beach. Black's Beach is a famous clothing-optional beach !

I worked a bit further North at Del Mar German Car Service in 1978 when the main brand was Volkswagen and I got my first taste of BMW.

This shows how close we worked North of Torrey Pines.
Our workshop was at the lower left across the road from the beach. A great spot !

This is what happens when a race circuit is taken over by a golf club.
The only driving now is along what was once the main straight area of the Torrey Pines Road Race Course.

( Ken H )

Roger Dowding
03-31-2021, 03:48 AM
Ken H,
Great history / geography lesson, and a plan of the track - well done and thanks.
Borrowed some of your information for the S Moss 100S at Torrey Pines story on the Austin Healey thread.
There must be hundreds if not a thousand or more lost tracks in the USA.
Cheers
Roger

khyndart in CA
04-01-2021, 08:08 AM
Roger,
I found another Torrey Pines map for you from the 1952 program.

In the under 1500 cc class I noticed a Simca 8 doing well in the races.

This explains what a Fiat "Huita" is.!

1952 Simca

The Barlow Simca 8 Special The Overlap of the Hot Rod and the Sports Car Cultures Growing up in the late 40’s and early 50’s we dreamed of custom “Hot Rods”…. modified 32 Ford roadsters with performance enhancement from Holley, Edelbrock, Iskenderian and others. Foreign sports cars were beginning to make their presence know, but for us, an American hot rod was the dream and California was the place where it was all happening. California was also the home of the man whose vision and ingenuity would merge hot rod technology with the emerging foreign sports car racing craze. His name was Roger Barlow, a mechanically minded Minnesota farm boy who had moved to southern California and was now the owner International Motors. Barlow once wrote that while hot rods had many virtues including low cost and excellent acceleration, control and superior road handling was not among them. He preferred that his “street rod” as he called it, come from Jaguar or Porsche. He also recognized that as competition intensified in the fast growing sports car road racing arena, more and more cars (often called Specials) were being modified to enhance performance. After sizing up the competition, Barlow concluded that the highly competitive 1500cc class was vulnerable and decided to build a “Special” sports car designed specifically for competition in the class; an adaptation of hot rod building technology to a modern sports car. His vision became known as the Barlow Simca 8 Special. Starting with a Simca “Huit” sport convertible Barlow removed the beautiful but ponderously heavy body. The frame was then widened to allow for a lower seating position. The engine was moved back six inches and the radiator moved forward by the same amount to obtain better weight Roger Barlow 1932 Ford roadster "Hot Rod" Simca "Huit" Sport 2 distribution. To help reduce unsprung weight, Borrrani-Rudge light alloy wire wheels were fitted that also helped to cool the powerful Simca hydraulic brakes allowing more air to reach the finned aluminum drums. Finally a feather light aluminum shell fashioned by master body builder Emil Diedt and cycle style front fenders were fitted. While absent the typical compound curves found on many sports cars, the body painted a light sky blue had a graceful appearance that made ingenious use of the original Simca grille. The original Simca 1390cc engine underwent high performance tuning by ace engine mechanic Bill Pringle. Adopting standard hot rod builder technology, the aluminum cylinder head of the engine was milled, ported and relieved. Next the flywheel was lightened and stiffer valve springs were fitted. To top it off, two Weber carburetors were installed on an Abarth manifold and the cooling fan was removed. The result was a thirty percent increase in bhp and a compression ratio boosted to 9.25:1. The Barlow Simca Special made its’ first race appearance at the 2nd Annual Palm Springs Road Races on January 4, 1951 where it failed to finish due to a transmission failure. From there it was entered in the Pebble Beach Cup race at the Pebble Beach Road Race on May 27, 1951 where Barlow finished 1st in class and 5th overall. The Simca Special was next entered in the two day racing event at the Carroll Speedway in Gardena, California. On July Saturday the 27th Barlow finished 2nd in the Trophy Dash and was winner of the S1.5 and the Match Race events on Sunday the 28th. Barlow The Barlow Simca 8 Special as it appeared before the fitting of the Dielt light weight aluminum body. A glimpse of the highly modified Simca engine in the Barlow Special with bonnet removed. The completed body of the Barlow Simca 8 Special featuring the adopted Simca grill. 3 next entered the car in the August 26th races at the SCCA Nationals in Elkhart Lake where he finished 1st in class and 13th overall. Barlow and the Simca Special went on to race at the Reno SCCA Nationals and in Palm Springs both in October ending the year at Torrey Pines in December taking 1st in class at every event and the SCCA Class Championship. The Simca Special was again in Elkhart Lake for the 1952 Kimberly Cup Race but by then time and competition caught up with the highly modified car and Barlow finished nearly three minutes behind the OSCA of Bill Spear and the Porsches of Karl Brocken and Johnny Von Neumann, all unmodified factory sports cars. So was the Barlow Simca Special a Hot Rod or a sports car? I think the only conclusion one can come too is that it was despite Hot Rod like modification, it was pure sports car. Hot Rods were built for the most part on lowered frames of American cars with little attention paid to cornering agility. They performed at their best racing down a long and straight drag strip. Sports car used suspensions that were built for superior handling on roadways curving both left and right. If you start with a sports car frame and suspension, not matter how many other components are modified, it is still a sports car. Note: The term “Huit” in the Simca name is French for eight. The Simca “Huits” all used 50 bhp engines. In French “road horsepower” terms, 50 bhp translates to 8 road horsepower, hence the Simca “Huit” or Simca

[SIZE=5]

Ray Bell
04-01-2021, 03:45 PM
I think you'll find that the Simca's original capacity was 1290, not 1390cc...

khyndart in CA
04-01-2021, 07:07 PM
Ray,
Yes you are correct as it probably started as a 1951 Simca 8 type 1.22 cc engine and Roger Barlow then worked on improving the performance from that unit
Whatever he did it worked well for him !

(Ken H )

Ray Bell
04-02-2021, 12:32 AM
Lucky man...

When I played with Simcas I found their heads to be awfully soft.

Maybe mine was too for continuing to play with them for so long.

khyndart in CA
04-02-2021, 08:54 AM
In December 1952, Phil Hill arrived at Torrey Pines to drive a 1952 Jaguar XKC 120 (C-Type)# 2 for the local Jaguar dealership owned by Charles Hornburg.
Not only was Hill an excellent driver but also helped prepare the car on race day.
Preparing the C-Type for the big race parked beside the Simca Special.

khyndart in CA
04-02-2021, 04:51 PM
More of Phil Hill in 1952 at Torrey Pines in the C-Type Jaguar # 2

Basic work conditions in the paddock before the race.

Hill at the start line next to Skip Swartley in his Allard J 2X- Oldsmobile # 7

Hill coming up to lap the XK 120 Coupe # 35 of Harry Jones

Phil Hill racing ahead in the lead. December 1952.

2017. The same car that Phil Hill drove at Torrey Pines.

1952 Jaguar C-Type
Sold For ; $5,285,000 (WOW !)

Inclusive of applicable buyer's fee.
Lot Location: New York, New York
RM | Sotheby's - NEW YORK - ICONS 6 DECEMBER 2017
Chassis No.
Engine No.
Gearbox No.
Body No.
XKC 007
E 1009-8
JH 10416
K 1009
One of only 53 examples built.
Do read this; https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/ny17/new-york---icons/lots/r030-1952-jaguar-c-type/563553#/expandGallery

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
04-03-2021, 12:32 AM
It looks like it's just out of the body shop!

I like the pics of Phil playing under the bonnet...

khyndart in CA
04-06-2021, 07:11 AM
Some well known drivers raced at Torrey Pines in the early days of their careers.

For instance, Dan Gurney, whose racing exploits began with a Triumph TR2 at Torrey Pines in San Diego, 1955.

Ken Miles driving his well known Flying Shingle.

Carroll Shelby. # 20. 1953. Ferrari 375 MM.

( Ken H..)

Roger Dowding
04-06-2021, 11:27 PM
Love " Flying Shingle " - Ken Miles was one great driver and engineer, has a good name too Mr Hyndman !! :cool:

Roger Dowding
04-07-2021, 05:33 AM
Seeing Ken's photo of Ken Miles in Flying Shingle, made me do a bit of looking up in my American books.

I like the car and interested in its construction and competition history.

Ken's photo

Photo from" Road Racing Specials " a book published by Vintage Motorsport - an American magazine publisher, I got my copy by Airmail in 2003 [ RRS ]
Front view showing the engine through the bonnet bulge.

Specifications of the car from the book " vintage american road racing cars " by Motorbooks in 2004- the title is in lower case [ VARRC ]

The car had its first meeting at Willow Springs in February 1955 - I am sure Ken will have details on this track too !!
This photo from Santa Barbara Airport meeting 29th May 1955 RRS book - photo title refers to the previous page in the book.

Ken won at Torrey Pines in October 1955 and again in 1956
A photo from that track in 1956 from the VARRC book.

A montage of photos of the car including more recent racing at Monterey -driver not known.
Ken Miles was sadly, killed at Riverside in August 1966 testing a Ford GT40.

Ray Bell
04-07-2021, 05:57 AM
The J-car...

Forerunner to the 7-litre Ford GTs which won at Le Mans.

khyndart in CA
04-07-2021, 07:20 AM
Al Moss, the founder of Moss Motors and Ken Miles were good friends and fierce competitors on the tracks of Southern California.
I notice Ken must have liked to have a car numbered 50 throughout his career.
See in previous posts # 51 t0 58.

Here is a Kurtis 500 that raced at Torrey Pines.
Apparently $6000.00 in 1956 is worth about $ 30,000.00 today but then I was never any good with numbers or money !

A 1954 Kurtis 500S Roadster for sale in 2019 at Monterey.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0819-380995/1954-kurtis-500s-roadster/

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
04-08-2021, 04:15 AM
The engine in that first Kurtis 500 is an interesting choice in America, Ken...

A 1500cc Ford OHV engine at that time could only have been the Consul engine, which I wouldn't have thought would have been so prolific on US shores. And then you have to ask, 'What gearbox might have been employed?'

Much more recently I saw a lovely Kurtis Buick in Michigan...

https://i.postimg.cc/QxGnPwzk/0605-01-billscurtis.jpg

I thought this was a very evocative car, thoughts of Carrera Panamerica and all that. Who knows, it might also have raced at Torrey Pines some time?

khyndart in CA
04-08-2021, 11:57 PM
Sorry folks but the aforementioned Bill Murphy 1953 Kurtis 500 has been sold.
It made for a pretty decent investment if purchased from the earlier ad.

For Sale: 1953 Kurtis-Kraft Midget in Saint Louis, Missouri. $595,000

A good history is described at this site.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1219659/1953-kurtis-kraft-midget-for-sale-in-saint-louis-missouri-63146

( Ken H.)

khyndart in CA
04-13-2021, 07:51 AM
In 1952, local Porsche dealer, John von Neumann entered a very interesting Porsche 356 SL at Torrey Pines in 1952 in the under 1500 cc events.
I saw this Felipe Turlich photo of the Porsche and the Torrey Pines event noting the large crowd around the course after the start/ finish area. The caption did not mention much about this car so I thought I would check into the history and I am glad I did.
Von Neumann’s first race win came at Torrey Pines in July 1952, which gave Porsche its first victory on American soil.

Some history of this car, that was built originally in Austria in the town of Gmund due to the fact that Stuttgart had been heavily damaged during WW 2 and the Porsche factory had to relocate for a time.
This car was built in 1949
" 69357

As the same car appeared at the 1951 Le Mans race. # 46

(To be continued.. )
Ken H

Roger Dowding
04-14-2021, 01:50 AM
" (To be continued.. )
Ken H "
Will be a great story - John von Neuman, was associated with Ken Miles - Flying Shingle and later the " Pooper ", and didn't James Dean get both his 356 and the " Little Bastard " 550 through John v N ??

Interesting that early Porsche's were built in Austria, where Der Fuehrer came from - was he really German ?? Well his Peoples car was designed by Ferdinand Porsche. I understand that the Gmund Porsches were very much handbuilt.

khyndart in CA
04-14-2021, 03:00 AM
When the Porsche 356 Germund SL (for super light because of the aluminum body) 356/02-063 first competed in the USA in late 1951
it looked like this.
"Then in a surprise move, von Neumann commissioned Emil Diedt, a very talented metal worker in Southern California, to remove the coupé roof to improve the car’s aerodynamics and to reduce weight. In a surprise move, von Neumann commissioned Emil Diedt, a very talented metal worker in Southern California, to remove the coupé roof to improve the car’s aerodynamics and to reduce weight. This was an age when a race car had a very short serviceable life, and once it had gone beyond its use by date, it was open to almost any kind of butchery or modification. There was no doubt however that Diedt was a craftsman, and he lopped off the greenhouse of #063 turning it into a roadster, reducing the car’s weight by around 50kg and significantly reducing the frontal area. Von Neumann also removed the front wheel fairings as, despite improving the car’s aerodynamics, they restricted airflow to the front brakes causing them to overheat..

Here are some of the specs that kept the car in the Le Mans 1100 cc class.

Technical specifications: Porsche 356 SL
Engine 4-cylinder boxer engine, air-cooled
Capacity 1086cc
Bore x stroke 73.5 x 64mm
Valves 2-valves per cylinder, central camshaft
Power 46bhp @ 4000rpm
Carburettor 2x Solex downdraught
Gearbox Constant-mesh with 4-forward, 1-reverse gears
Clutch Single dry-plate
Top speed 160km/h
Suspension: Front Parallel trailing links acting on transverse torsion bars
Suspension: Rear Swing axles located by trailing links controlled by transverse torsion bars
Tyres 5.00 or 5.25 x 16 by Metzeler
Weight 640kg
Length 3860mm
Wheelbase 2100mm
Track (front) 1290mm; (rear) 1250mm
Fuel 75-litres

The car stayed in this way for many years and apparently had a hard life although it looked well restored when it appeared at the
Laguna Seca Historic Meet in 1998.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
04-25-2021, 12:01 AM
A few years ago at a Sonoma Meet I was talking to a mechanic preparing a fleet of Porsches for racing and I showed him some old grainy photos I had taken of a 1968 Porsche 908 -008 that Jo Siffert had driven to victory in the 1968 Nürburgring 1000. I had taken these at Oran Park in 1970 as the car was trailered around behind a Chrysler VF Valiant Pacer. The mechanic then introduced me to his boss, Cameron Healy, who kindly took the time to tell me the 908 was now part of a private collection belonging to Dr. Julio Palmaz in Napa, not far from the Sonoma race track.

(Ken H photos.)

More about this 908 at this site
https://endurancenostalgia.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/from-the-collection-of-dr-julio-palmaz-the-1968-porsche-908-008-the-nurburgring-winner/

Cameron then climbed into his 1953 Cooper Porsche # 55 also known as the "Pooper" to go out and compete.

(Ken H photo.)

Cameron is also the owner of the earlier mentioned Porsche 356 Germund SL 356/02-063 and here is this YouTube clip of that story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbkeg_Hwr4I

Ken H

teegeefla
01-30-2022, 08:42 PM
Some well known drivers raced at Torrey Pines in the early days of their careers.

For instance, Dan Gurney, whose racing exploits began with a Triumph TR2 at Torrey Pines in San Diego, 1955.

Ken Miles driving his well known Flying Shingle.

Carroll Shelby. # 20. 1953. Ferrari 375 MM.

( Ken H..)

That photo is not Dan Gurney in the white #129 TR2. It is actually Noble Bishop. Results of that January 15, 1956 race can be found here: http://wsrp.cz/natus1956.html
Also, Dan's TR2 was painted Poppy Red.

khyndart in CA
01-31-2022, 06:18 AM
Thanks "teegeefla" for the correction.
My facts were correct but not the photo.

"Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post

" For instance, Dan Gurney, whose racing exploits began with a Triumph TR2 ( # 129) at Torrey Pines in San Diego, 1955."

https://www.racingsportscars.com/driver/results/Dan-Gurney-USA.html

My searching will continue for a suitable photo if it is available.

(Ken H )
(

teegeefla
02-06-2022, 02:24 AM
Here is a photo of Dan's #129 TR-2 from a 1959 Autosport article:

Ray Bell
02-06-2022, 10:22 AM
From Motor Racing, December 1959:

Dan's first race was at Torrey Pines. He had tried to modify the car back to standard but was unable to do this, so ran in the modified category, finishing fourth in his class and ninth overall. He felt he had done "pretty well," especially on the twisty parts of the circuit. "But I hadn't learned how to heel and toe then, so I must have looked pretty funny trying to get slowed down for the corners."

FRUSTRATION

The next race was at Palm Springs. "By this time I had modified the car back to standard, and boy, it was really slow. All the production cars were grouped together for this race, over 50 of them, XKs, 300SLs, Porsches, Triumphs, Austin Healeys - and there were even a few Formula Three Coopers stuck in there for some reason. I got up to about twelfth or thirteenth, trying awfully hard, then a little Formula Three car just about stopped right in front of me on a hairpin bend, and I had to steer into the hay bales I would have run right over the top of him. This spun me out, of course, and I finished a really hot seventeenth. This race was really frustrating - I felt I was driving quite well but getting absolutely nowhere. I was going round the corners faster than most of the others, but they were just hosing me down the chute on the straightaway."

teegeefla
02-06-2022, 11:21 PM
A photo of Dan's Palm Springs incident from a DVD set of old race films and photos by Al Moss:

khyndart in CA
02-07-2022, 05:23 AM
Good stuff teegeefla,
Al Moss was the founder of the company I work for, Moss Motors, and his films and archives are a real treasure, thanks for sharing.

Dan Gurney wore a black helmet throughout his whole racing career.
There was little regard for safety back in the fifties such as the lack of roll bars on the cars in your Palm Springs photo !

(Ken H )

teegeefla
02-07-2022, 02:12 PM
Thanks Ken; those Al Moss DVDs are amazing and I also learned a lot of new info about racing in California back then. I was a fan of Dan as a kid (since he was proof that someone tall could be a race car driver) and I got to know he and his wife Evi for the last decade of his life. I have compiled a database of his entire amateur and pro career and have a collection of around 130 models of cars that he drove (with another 20 or so on my "to do" list. Some are diecasts, others are kits that I built, some are models that I modified. The collection can be seen on my facebook site: https://www.facebook.com/groups/815317719358977
Hope you enjoy it.

khyndart in CA
06-22-2022, 07:27 AM
I will try this once again.
Buellton is a small town about 40 miles north of Santa Barbara and 10 miles from Los Olivos. ( https://www.istockphoto.com/photos/los-olivos-california)
I saw recently that there was a race track on the edge of Buellton 70 years ago and I went to check out what I could, from looking at some old photos.
As you can see not much has changed over that period of time !
The farmer asked why did I want to take photos of the farmland and I showed him the archive photos. He was not aware of the racing and was most helpful and let me enter the property to try match where the racing had taken place and this is the result.
He said it was a good time to wander around and take photos before the area is leased out for organic crop farming and the place is busy with people, farm equipment and irrigation pipes and watering etc. and No Trespassers !
A present day photo of where the hills had resounded 70 years earlier to the sounds of vintage Model T jalopies, hot rods and motorcycles.
(Ken H photo)
Where I stood to take this photo is marked in the early photo of a start in 1950 of a group from the local Model T Club who organized the events at Buellton. ( I was at the white marker between the trees.)

The property owner and family have been there for decades and will not allow any development and they are close to the edge of town and I was amazed how it is unchanged from the 1950s.

Looking toward Buellton today. The long building in the middle is home to Tilton Engineering which make pretty decent racing clutches
used around the world, (One can spend some time going through this site ) https://tiltonracing.com/

In the distant hills in the middle at the top was the home for President Reagan during the 1980s known as the Western Whitehouse.

(And that is my geography lesson for today.)

(Ken H.)

khyndart in CA
06-22-2022, 03:01 PM
A "Jalopy" is defined as an old and unreliable automobile. After WW2 there were many of these to be found in the US and so the local lads made good use of them at raceways such as Buellton.
Here are some examples of racing at Buellton in 1950 and how it looks today.

Note the cars and spectators parked up in the natural grandstands of the hills.

(Ken H )

khyndart in CA
06-22-2022, 11:58 PM
A 1950 photo shows the race winner with the checkered flag behind the winning car # 38 a 1934 Ford Tudor.

My 2022 photo of the same area where some of the same trees are growing on the hillside.
The big difference is the major Highway 101 that by-passed Buellton in 1965, can be seen running north and south in the middle of the photo.

Lunch break at the Buellton pit area where most of the vehicles appear to be 1934 Fords except for # 14 a Chevrolet.

A much quieter place today.
(Ken H photo )

Roger Dowding
06-24-2022, 01:41 AM
Ken H,

That Buellton stuff is great and welcome back !!.

Am busy in the cold in the Bay of Plenty collecting information from Don Tilsley who raced in the 1950's at Ohakea, Mount Wellington, a course I knew little about [ make that nothing as was not around the actual Mount but in the suburb of Mount Wellington near the present Motorway ], Seagrove and at NSCC Hill Climbs at Wairamarama Hill, near Onewhero that Trevor Sheffield knows a lot about.

Keep them coming - and the modern photos make good comparisons - not a lot has happened since.

Allan
06-24-2022, 05:06 AM
Share with what you know about the Mt Wellington circuit when you can please Roger.

khyndart in CA
06-24-2022, 08:21 AM
Not one of the prettier cars on the track, but local garage owner, Tommy Garland had his? machine # 2 running well.

Another young man who is featured in this thread was the popular Jack Mendenhall. Jack operated the local garage and tow services in Buellton along with building hot rods, dragsters, Jalopy racers etc,,.
Here is a young Jack standing by 1931 Ford Model A (Which has a 1932 grill shell )

khyndart in CA
06-24-2022, 04:08 PM
The Buellton Speedway didn't last long and was closed by 1953, partly because of crashes like the one shown here.
The flat oval made the top-heavy coupes more prone to rollovers, creating liability for the landowners and sponsors.

Today it is land for farming and the racing is a distant memory.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
06-26-2022, 07:46 AM
Just past the old raceway one can still see the Buellton sign that has also been there for over 70 years.
With the famous sign on it for the well known Andersen's Pea Soup showing "Hap-pea" standing over "Pea-wee"

The earlier mentioned Jack Mendenhall was friendly with the Andersen family and they sponsored Jack as he built specials to go racing after the local raceway closed down. The first creation was this dragster which was the original "Pea-Soup" Andersen Special. Along with Bob Joehnck's engine preparation this dragster was very competitive at the local quarter mile drag strips at Santa Maria and San Luis Obispo.
It ran originally as a flathead-powered gasser and like most dragsters it went through a variety of engine changes. In this photo from the early sixties it powered by a fuel injected Cadillac engine.

Jack doing some tire warming on the San Luis Obispo drag strip, smoking out the 1942 Buick ambulance.

Another view of Jack Mendenhall leaving the start line at Santa Maria.

Jack Mendenhall's dragster can be seen today at his collection. (More on that later.)

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
06-26-2022, 11:59 PM
Share with what you know about the Mt Wellington circuit when you can please Roger.

Allan,
Have posted the information on Mt Wellington on the NSCC thread, as it was an NSCC event.
Don gave me some results initially and later a description of where the track was - " Commissariat Road " was the start finish straight.
A friend of mine lived on this road in the 1970's - 80's - never knew it had been part of a race track.

Cheers

Roger

khyndart in CA
06-29-2022, 11:56 PM
The boys from Buellton had a need for speed.
Jack Mendenhall appreciated the Andersen family sponsorship and the Andersens enjoyed the advertising on what became known as their
"Pea Soup Specials" mostly prepared by Jack and his team at his Buellton Garage that has now the site of the Mendenhall Museum.
In the sixties Jack headed down to Mexico to race through the Baja Peninsula.-Described as a tough, enjoyable and unforgettable experience.

https://youtu.be/e4sprcpQx3A

From Motor Trend Sept. 2013
"But there were other daring souls willing to put their driving skills to the test in less customized machines.
Jack Mendenhall is just such a person. Jack had already been successful on the salt, strip, and dirt oval. In 1968, he entered a 1958 Chevrolet Pickup, #212, dubbed Baja Piranha, in the Baja 1000. Jack's sponsor for this event, as with his Bonneville trials, was the ubiquitous Andersen's Pea Soup, a business neighbor in his hometown of Buellton, California. He partnered with body shop owner Bob Rowe as co-driver.
The truck's exterior looked remarkably stock with the exception of the roll bar and roof-mounted lights. The most notable off-road accessory was the aircraft-style high floatation tires.
Though Mendenhall had victories in previous endeavors, he didn't grab a record this time out. He didn't even finish within the 50-hour time limit. Still, putting a mostly stock 10-year-old 2WD pickup through a grueling off-road race takes more than a bucketful of grit and determination. Jack went on to compete in the 1000 with other vehicles, including James Garner's radical Olds. Our hats off to Jack."

1968 in Mexico

Off at the start, out into the unknown. 1968

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
07-11-2022, 07:42 AM
During his Baja racing episodes Jack Mendenhall became friends with movie actor, James Garner. James had enjoyed racing and the filming of the movie, "Grand Prix" but his contract stated he was not to drive in any racing events. But Garner noted the restraining order did not mention off-road racing !
Some interesting quotes." In the '69 Mexican 1000, Garner piloted the '70 Grabber 442, which was one of three preproduction cars built by off-road guru Vic Hickey.
The Mendenhall Cutlass is in the middle and identified by the central roof light. The Garner car is on the right and the Hickey Olds Cutlass is on the left.
" Vic hickey operated Hickey Enterprises, a GM-backed team. He also had a personal relationship with famed shifter mogul George Hurst, who kindly provided Vic with three of Lansing's muscle cars: two production 1969 4-4-2s, and the aforementioned '70. "The latter was actually a pre-production version, specially prepared by George before it was shipped to Vic. Vic then prepared the car for James Garner for the '69 NORRA (Baja) 1000 off-road race.
Vic had the ability to turn any car or truck into a competitive off-road racer within an average of 30 days. As for the 4-4-2, a lengthy list of modifications was made, beginning with enlarging each of the wheel openings a full inch. To allow enough travel and wheel clearance, the chassis was lifted three inches. From there, Vic and his team installed custom ball joints (upper and lower), modified the upper and lower control arms and installed ¾-ton Chevy pickup truck spindles up front, which were far stronger than the stock 4-4-2 spindles.
A special roll cage was installed, and a 50-gallon fuel cell replaced the stock tank. Racing seats for Garner and his co-driver(s) were installed, a custom instrument panel fabricated, and a stock W-31 Olds 350-cu.in. engine was warmed up. Also among the changes was the addition of custom-made Cragar wheels clad with Goodyear off-road rubber. Painted blue and dubbed the Goodyear Grabber, due to the rubber company's backing, the highly modified Olds was ready for competition."

Garner raced his first modified Olds Cutlass in the 1969 Baja 1000. (October 1969.)

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
07-11-2022, 11:21 PM
Jack Mendenhall prepared his Olds Cutlass for desert racing in Southern California, Baja Mexico and Nevada at his Buellton garage.
it may not have been the best looking machine and looked a bit out of place amongst the other desert racers.

Jack had some sponsorship from our local Los Olivos Tavern.
This shot shows James Garner checking out Jack's Cutlass in Buellton

The car had paint jobs so it could be spotted easier out in the wild desert!

(Ken H )

khyndart in CA
07-13-2022, 04:11 AM
As can be seen from the previous shots that the Mendenhall Cutlass could be refueled from either the left or right side depending on how the gas pumps were set up whereas the Garner car just had right rear refueling.
Here is a shot of one the special 50 gallon fuel tanks built for the Baja Cutlasses.
Just in case the fuel gauge quit one could check the sight tube as a back up.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
07-13-2022, 07:52 AM
Now it is time for a bit of a movie interlude from YouTube.

The first shows Garner in both the 1970 Cutlass # 25 and the 1972 Cutlass "Banshee" # 30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFrNbifXrLI

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
07-13-2022, 07:55 AM
The other modern day clip is of Jay Leno having fun in the restored off-road 1972 Olds Cutlass known as the "Banshee"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmfdNrolRDg&t=871s

(Ken H )

khyndart in CA
07-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Jack Mendenhall would compete in the Cutlass in desert and other off-road races until about 1975.
The Cutlass looked a bit out of place as it checked in amongst the VW desert specials.

In the later years he had the pleasure of having his son Mark along as his co-driver.
(The car was now painted white.)
The numbers always changed as the number was how they qualified for an event.
The Buellton boys had fun as they "cut loose" in their Cutlass.

Today this car sits in the Mendenhall Museum just across the alley from where it was first prepared over 50 years ago.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
07-20-2022, 08:01 AM
Jack and Mark Mendenhall also liked to build cars and enter into "acceleration meets" across the dry lake at El Mirage and then later they moved on to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah.
They had a 1932 Ford Roadster known as "Sally the Salt Dancer".
They both went above 210 MPH in this car over the timed mile during the 1990s.

Mark has been rebuilding this car in honor of his dad who passed away in 2005.

(Ken H )

Roger Dowding
07-21-2022, 03:49 AM
Good stuff Ken H,

News of the Motoring Moment here is that " Pukekohe Race Track " will close for Car racing in April 2023, as the Horse racing fraternity need it for their own use.
A Sad day for New Zealand Motorsport - not the greatest Track but all we had in the North of the North Island in 1963.

Off to your part of NZ tomorrow - Matamata and environs, Te Poi,. [ " Oldfart " has lived there too !! ].

This should be familiar ... maybe someone can recognise the heads in the picture - now much older and grey-er or balder !! ..

A John Larry Lawton photo- before he cropped it.

Forty years ago this Young Fella was arriving in L A California for the first time, and went to Santa Barbara and other places near to you.

Keep up the West Coast posts, lots of stuff I never knew about.

khyndart in CA
07-21-2022, 04:31 AM
Thanks Roger.
I think it might have been Jim Boyd in the Lycoming that almost went up the front steps of that church at one of the Matamata meets I was at.
Perhaps Rhys has the correct story to tell ?

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
07-22-2022, 09:58 PM
As I mentioned earlier some things don't change much here in the Buellton and Los Olivos area.
Although Mattei's Tavern in Los Olivos is being renovated for the first time in 100 years the Garland Garage building is just the same.
1970 at Buellton across from the Garland Garage.

July 22 2022 at Buellton across from the Garland family building.

( Ken H )

khyndart in CA
07-26-2022, 09:32 PM
To tell of racing folk from Buellton would not be complete without mentioning the aptly named "Slick" Gardner.
He purchased the off-road Cutlass from James Garner and then he crashed it heavily at a desert event almost destroying himself and the car.

Slick's need for speed led him to the Winston Cup Grand National circuit in 1973

Some 1973 information about Slick.

(He lives near here and he is always an interesting person to talk o even if the stories might be perhaps a little stretched ! )
Note his son's name is Racin .

(Ken H )

khyndart in CA
08-01-2022, 08:22 PM
Gardner's need to go fast took a big step in 1978 when he purchased the jet powered "Green Monster" from Art Arfons.
Slick wanted to be the fastest man on wheels on earth! At least he is still around to talk about his attempts.
This is a brief description from a "Hemmings" article about how Arfons built this machine.
"It was called Green Monster for the surplus green paint he had laying around that he used to spiff them up) and apply that knowledge to a land-speed racer. For the Green Monster, he'd essentially build up a vehicle from parts he had laying around his Pickle Road farm - an axle from a Dodge truck, a steering assembly from a Packard, the instrument panel from one of his old airplanes - around an afterburner-equipped J-79 from the F-104 Starfighter, good for about 17,000 pounds of thrust."

Another quote regarding the Green Monster and which engine was in the 2nd version, both built by Art Arfons.
" The most famous "Green Monster" was powered by an ex-F-104 Starfighter General Electric J79 jet engine, producing 17,500 lbf (78 kN) static thrust with four-stage afterburner, which Arfons purchased from a scrap dealer for $600 and rebuilt himself, over the objections of General Electric and the government, and despite all manuals for the engine being classified top secret.!"

Whatever, these guys were brave !

Slick Gardner's optimistic announcement of his upcoming land speed attempt.

Slick about to enter the course at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
08-01-2022, 11:24 PM
Here are some quotes of Slick Gardner and the Green Monster speed attempts in1978.

" Slick Gardner never set a land speed record, but in 1978 he announced that he would attempt it driving Art Arfons' J-79 powered Green Monster, soon to be renamed the "Andersen's Pea Soup Monster". With Arfons' assistance Gardner was actually on the salt in 1979, but no record, or even recorded speeds, came, although he claims that he did go faster than the current Blue Flame record during tests, then lack of money and loss of interest had him quit the attempt. Other sources suggested that maybe he lacked something else...

By the way, the car we are talking about, which Gardner bought and ran ... is not the famous Green Monster that set the record several times in 1964 and 1965 and was destroyed in 1966, but a similar, more refined car Arfons had built immediately afterwards, tested extensively, and even set a FIA standing start quarter-mile record with, at Fort Stockton, Texas in 1969.

Arfons always regretted selling that car, which he did only because he was desperate for money: he also says that he was not very comfortable with the responsibility of somebody else without his experience driving it and that he was relieved that the project had eventually been shelved."

Getty images of Slick in 1978.

The last 20 years have not gone well for Slick and much of what he owned has been taken but he will not be soon forgotten in this area

(Ken H ).

Ray Bell
08-02-2022, 02:50 PM
For all of his years in the high speed business, Arfons wouldn't have had a lot more experience than Gardner in cars like this...

Maybe an hour or so?

khyndart in CA
08-12-2022, 08:26 AM
Off to Laguna Seca on Saturday just for one day of practice and qualifying this year for the Pre-Reunion Event.
They are doing this format as last year so many cars did not make it to the following weekend which was the Monterey Historic Reunion.
As you can see it is a fast moving day with about 5 minutes between each session.
Here is a list of this Saturday's schedule.
If any of you want a particular group photographed let me know and I will see what I can achieve.

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
08-13-2022, 04:40 AM
Ken H, thanks for the offer..
" If any of you want a particular group photographed let me know and I will see what I can achieve. "
the 1955-66 SCCA cars and the 1923 - 1955 Le mans cars - but really any photos will be good,
- you lucky Fella !!.

40 years ago was the only time I went to Laguna Seca.** the Ninth running of the event.
Some photos I took have never been seen as sent the negatives back to New Zealand to my Cousin, and they are now missing..

Cheers
from very cold New Zealand, [ 2 degrees c this morning in Omokoroa, Matamata and surrounds were zero... brrrrrr ...

Roger

Post script ; Next weekend is the " Northern Sports Car Clubs " 50th Anniversary Celebration " for the Clubrooms.. First time back at the Club since about 1980..