PDA

View Full Version : Bainbridge 7

Deanorob
03-14-2022, 09:11 AM
Hey guys,

I have searched and found numerous bits of information about this car.....

An NZ new Lotus 7 (ish) built by Bainbridge with parts and jigs of Steel Brothers
who were the holder of rights along with Caterham to manufacture 7s'.

Seemingly they contracted to Bainbridge to make more with the bits they had for a small payment per car. Obviously things weren't explained or understood properly as a courtcase ensued.

Bainbridge did however make as far as I'm aware 2 cars, using lotus 7 S4 jigs, engine and gearboxes supplied by Steel Bros. They were made with S4 chassis (I believe) but with a bespoke S3 style body.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dean.

Ray Bell
03-15-2022, 04:55 AM
Classy...

With that engine (a 2-litre 4-valve?) it should be pretty quick.

Roger Dowding
03-15-2022, 05:55 AM
What about those Landrovers;
early series one, later still with Headlights in the grille and some newer ones ..

The Lotus Se7en ..
This is from Carjam [ NZTA ].

" 1985
Make: LOTUS
Model: S4X
Colour: Red
Body Style: Sports Car
Plate: BDD518
Engine No: 15227
Chassis: 9071001
Vehicle Type: Passenger Car/Van
Seats: 5
CC rating: 2,300cc
Fuel Type: Petrol "
and the number Plate - make that Plates !!

" Plates History

Plate Effective Date
BDD518 04-Apr-2003
YPEOUT 23-Mar-1993
PM8075 21-Dec-1990
LO8281
Registration

Ray Bell - 2300cc if " Carjam " correct - is that the Vauxhall / Lotus / Jensen Healey motor. ??

Dean,
Do you have the car ? or just looking for its history.

Deanorob
03-15-2022, 09:22 AM
Hey guys,

I have bought this piece of motoring hIstory, just waiting for delivery.

Deanorob
03-15-2022, 09:24 AM
Also certainly doesn't have 5 seats, so maybe I don't trust carjam too much.

ERC
03-15-2022, 10:13 PM
Also certainly doesn't have 5 seats, so maybe I don't trust carjam too much.

My Marcos is also down as a 5 seater...

Trevor Sheffield
03-18-2022, 02:07 AM
-------

I trust that the car does not have the the forwards and rearwards facing rear suspension links as used in the S4 Lotus Seven. This arrangement results in a rear axle located by what amounts to a pair of interconnected Watts Links and as a result absolute rear roll resistance. Body roll is therefore dependent on the chassis flexing. Lotus engineering ?

The handling and traction problems associated with rear roll resistance is mentioned in several U.S. publications but not explained, or a satisfactory remedy reported. With two trailing links my S4 became a different animal. LOL

Deanorob
03-18-2022, 10:41 PM
-------

I trust that the car does not have the the forwards and rearwards facing rear suspension links as used in the S4 Lotus Seven. This arrangement results in a rear axle located by what amounts to a pair of interconnected Watts Links and as a result absolute rear roll resistance. Body roll is therefore dependent on the chassis flexing. Lotus engineering ?

The handling and traction problems associated with rear roll resistance is mentioned in several U.S. publications but not explained, or a satisfactory remedy reported. With two trailing links my S4 became a different animal. LOL
Hi Trevor,
Unsure as yet, not seen it in person and getting it has been delayed due to covid.
Hopefully next week and I'll be able to check it out.
Thanks