PDA

View Full Version : Kerepehi, Raglan , Waharoa and other Waikato Grass tracks.

Oldfart
09-16-2022, 07:02 AM
Just putting this out that I haven't seen much about these.
Thames Valley Car Club and Hamilton Car Club were avid organisers of these very popular events.

Roger Dowding
09-17-2022, 05:28 AM
Just putting this out that I haven't seen much about these.
Thames Valley Car Club and Hamilton Car Club were avid organisers of these very popular events.

Oldfart - Have seen very little of these but I did find a little on Waharoa which has been posted on here, think your Matamata thread but need to check.

Kerepehi - went there once in February 1967 from memory, had just bought my first car and joined NSCC.
Remember some pre-war Ford V8 Coupes and Jim Boyd in the Lycoming, which raced past us going home followed by a mate of his with a car and trailer.
Guess they brought the trailer in case Jim broke down. No photos though.

Will be a good thread to add any photos, entry lists programmes when found.

Cover of a Waharoa Programme .. March 1967

Alan Boyle got a couple of Certificates .. Alan Boyle archives. March 1966 and 1967.

The names [ signatures ] on the certificates .. a G Meekings on the second - name seems familiar - did he do Race, Rally, Trial or Hill Climb.

Did a couple of HCC events Mercury Trophy Trials and one year an HCC Bardahl Hill Climb, also competed on the TVCC Mercury Trophy Trial at least once - remember a section where we drove across a culvert that was covered in water. !!
We may have been in a Ford in a Ford !!

Trevor Sheffield
09-17-2022, 08:50 AM
I remember thse events as being for many, the only form of motor racing vaiable on the basis of cost. A very important aspect involved near zero tyre wear, particularly when these were in short supply. At the time I was running retreaded tyres. There were many competing who could not afford any other form of actual racing.

As a result they provided a valid, valued means of truly amateur motor sport and were very much part of the clubman scene.

Oldfart
09-17-2022, 08:17 PM
Yes Graeme Meekings (or Graham) took me trialling with Alan Gough and??, I'm trying to remember the president's name. Graeme had a lot of involvement with Mermaid.
Indeed Trevor, a very valuable part of motorsport.

Roger Dowding
09-20-2022, 05:52 AM
Mentioned on another thread - when I saw a Membership card for the " Waikato Motor racing Club Inc " for the 1957 / 58 year.

Going through an old NZ Classic Car magazine from May 2009 Issue #221 an article about Dennis Marwood and his Humber 80 racing in the early 1960's after his Hillman Minx in 1960'
Dennis Marwood had raced a MG T D prior to the Humber at this event run by the Waikato Motor Racing Club.

Not a Grass Track event but from the Waikato area..

Did "Waikato MRC " evolve into Hamilton Car Club in a similar way the the New Zealand Racing Drivers Club from 1932 became the Auckland Car Club around 1949 ??.

Do have a few photos from Waharoa too.

khyndart in CA
09-20-2022, 06:53 AM
Roger,
Some great names at that Hora Hora event in 1957. e.g. Bruce McLaren, Johnny Mansel, Tom Clark, Ron Roycroft, Ross Jensen etc. etc.That was like a NZGP field from that period.
I went to that event in the late sixties. The road is still the same now just not as rough around the edges !

What was happening in Glen Murray at the time ?
Ron Roycroft, R.J.R. Special
Johnny Mansel, Ardun Special
D. Caldwell (Was that Bill and Alistair's father ?) Alfa Romeo

That is an amazing number for a population of not more than 50

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
09-21-2022, 04:34 AM
" The road is still the same now just not as rough around the edges ! "

Indeed Ken H, you posted a picture of part of the road taken in 2018.

Glen Murray was happening then and even in later years .. 1979 when the Morgan Car Club,Lotus Car Club and the Austin Healey Club had a touring run to Ron's place - they held an impromptu Hill Climb, with Ron in the R J R which he managed to put through a fence, both Ron and the Car were OK..

Moving slightly off " Oldfart's " subject - here is Ron in the RJR after leaving the road - Ross Cammick photo.

The photo of Hora Hora Road - Ken H archives. Never know whether it is " Horahora " or as on the programme
" Hora Hora " ..??

Roger Dowding
09-21-2022, 04:52 AM
Yes Graeme Meekings (or Graham) took me trialling with Alan Gough and??, I'm trying to remember the president's name. Graeme had a lot of involvement with Mermaid.
Indeed Trevor, a very valuable part of motorsport.

Found this from Milan Fistonic about the NSCC Little Ardmore in 1960 and there is G Meekings in a Ford Special, a Dennis Marwood in a Hillman [ a farming boy from around Morrinsville in the heart of HCC territory ] - after the MG TD but before the Humber 80 and many others

Just noticed R Billington in his Elfo Special too !!

There was even a Club Event .. an Interclub Relay race, won by MG Car Club NSCC 2nd and Hamilton CC third

Looking for more information.

I am also seeking information on John Windelburn [ Windleburn ? ] exploits who began racing in an Austin A35 and went on to race other cars V8 Specials often for other owners - John was active from the late 1950's into at least the 1980's.
Any information - Entry Lists, Results, Photos would be appreciated.. and should probably go on the NSCC thread.

Allan
09-21-2022, 07:40 AM
I remember a Ross Meekings 80s or 90s rallies in I believe a Toyota Corolla.

Oldfart
09-21-2022, 10:21 AM
I remember a Ross Meekings 80s or 90s rallies in I believe a Toyota Corolla.

Ross was Graham's son. Graham(sp?) was probably in Mermaid.
I see Cliff Knight from Awanui in the Ardmore results. Nice man who went on to be very competitive with stockcars.

Roger Dowding
09-22-2022, 04:39 AM
One of the few photos I have found of Grass Track racing at " Kerepehi Domain ".

A modified Standard 10 - [ or is it an " 8 " - as has the sliding windows ] powered by a Ford 1500 motor.
archive Jenny Lucey.

Perhaps TVCC and HCC have some in their archives ??.

Roger Dowding
09-24-2022, 12:32 AM
From Richard Bauz archives on the " Orchid Special " - Richard purchased the " Orchid " a few years ago and it is now in France. The items were on a TRS thread #847 - must check.

*** Correction - these images are from Milan Fistonic archives - and were posted on the " Matamata Street Race " thread #847 - there were three pages - this extract was only the cover and one page. The image was as saved by Richard Bauz as had details of his car.
The " Orchid Special ".
Here is the third page - second part of the entry list.

Also on the Matamata story is Milan's Entry List for an event at Hautapu in January 1970..

The events were popular and a number of Name drivers are entered for these more low key events..

bry3500
10-04-2022, 06:17 AM
Kerepehi

Roger Dowding
10-10-2022, 02:04 AM
Kerepehi

BRY3500 posted the map of the track ..
The event was first held February 12th 1966 - promoted by Thames Valley Car Club.

This is the programme cover and entry list - from Milan Fistonic archives
- [ presume posted in response to some photos posted by John Larry Lawton of cars at the event - posted on another forum but belong here ].

The copy of the map.

Hard to work out the direction of travel as even the Marshall Posts numbers seem erratic..

Google Maps shows the Domain still there and the track is around the perimeter of the venue largely and looks similar.

Have photos of the M Meirs Standard '10 '- Ford 1500 powered [ posted above ] and the Emson and Jones Simca's.- They belong on here.

Have been contacted by the daughter of a TVCC member who took photos of TVCC events in 1970's which I am being sent - they may belong on here - depending where, when and what type of event.
- Watch this Space ...

Oldfart
10-10-2022, 07:38 AM
Each time I went there it was anticlockwise, and in 73 (?) all I could see through the dust of the cars in front was the glint of sunlight on bumpers and windows.

Roger Dowding
11-28-2022, 03:47 AM
Have come across a series of photos from John [ Larry ] Lawton of the February 1967 meeting.
They belong on here.

This gentleman was racing there, that day, well known for his VW exploits ..

One of the cars that raced, and according to J L L, the car was back on the track later in the meeting

Is that the VW in the background ? of the gentleman mentioned - has wide wheels
More to follow;

Someone may have the entry list / programme for the event..

Roger Dowding
11-28-2022, 04:11 AM
The John [ Larry ] Lawton photos.

A brave person standing inside the corner was close to all the action.

Saloons mainly Mini's [ an Elf in a later sequence there for Bruce D " SpGeti " ]

They didn't all manage to stay on their wheels as seen in the sequence of photos.

a closer look - the same photo - as edited by J L L.

The Mini Race #14 is Ross Hollings

Roger Dowding
11-28-2022, 04:17 AM
Mini's and the Elf ..

*** The Mini at the back of the group is Ross Hollings - just found out from Ross as he has a copy of the photo in his archives.
Ross owned Mini-max at one stage and owned the LHD Sprite that was mine 1978 to 1983 - he owned it in the late 1980's -

Morris Minor and a 100E - Anglia or Prefect - the spectator [ Marshall ? ] Hillman is parked a bit close.

*** The Ford is a Prefect and was driven by Ron Bjerring from TVCC. - information from John Climo who has information and photos on the meeting - he was on the gate for the meeting.

a closer look - the same photo - as edited by J L L. - the Hillman has gone !!.

The photographer is in the action again ..

With the wider range shots you can see more of the trees and the background

The numbered stumps in the foreground - was that for the " Woodchopping " when the local A and P show was on ??.
Anyone know ?

Oldfart
11-28-2022, 09:37 PM
Answer to your question post 18, correct.
Isn't it a bit anorak when I can give first names to almost all the entrants!

Roger Dowding
11-29-2022, 05:13 AM
Answer to your question post 18, correct.
Isn't it a bit anorak when I can give first names to almost all the entrants!

" Oldfart " - We need your Anorak knowledge as often entry lists have Initials and not names or " nicknames ".

Have added a couple more names of drivers to one of the post above.

Oldfart
11-30-2022, 01:08 PM
" Oldfart " - We need your Anorak knowledge as often entry lists have Initials and not names or " nicknames ".

Have added a couple more names of drivers to one of the post above.

Post 14, I think more will come from the tip of my tongue to my brain, here are some.
Ralph Emson, Wayne Jones, Graham (Pipe) Robertson, then miss a few, Dallas Gibson, Graeme(Sp?) Harvey, Rod McCallum, Don Brunt, Dave Bjeering

khyndart in CA
12-01-2022, 09:13 AM
Dave Bjeering's Cortina 1500 at Waharoa, about 1966.

( Ken H.)

bry3500
12-01-2022, 09:57 AM
Sharing from Autosport forum

Some wonderful pictures from Dennis Marwood:

Wahaora Airfield 1956
Dennis Marwood in his MG TD on the start line with other MG's including Jim Ganley, father of Howden.
Dennis is in the TD #108 and Jim is in his TF (second from right, with black helmet).
The dark coloured TF on the right is fitted with a blower

Roger Dowding
12-02-2022, 05:55 AM
Ken H
" Dave Bjeering's Cortina 1500 at Waharoa, about 1966 "

Anymore photos ? - KH - I have some more of the Kerepehi 1966 programme from John Climo and he has more information from Waharoa and Raglan to come.

Would the Ron Bjerring in the Prefect be a relation ??

Bry3500 - Thanks for the Waharoa 1956 images.

"Some wonderful pictures from Dennis Marwood:

Wahaora Airfield 1956
Dennis Marwood in his MG TD on the start line with other MG's including Jim Ganley, father of Howden.
Dennis is in the TD #108 and Jim is in his TF (second from right, with black helmet).
The dark coloured TF on the right is fitted with a blower ".

Dennis was a Morrinsville lad, so just down the road a bit - on the Morrinsville - Walton Road, then a few turns and in Waharoa,or going right past Ken h's home in Kiwitahi perhaps.

Great photos and more cars that we didn't realise Dennis Marwood drove - for example a huge 1958 Ford Customline /Fairlane at Pukekohe in April 1964 - an image Milan found in the Auckland Car Club Bulletin of the time - it was an ACC event.

Also John Climo sent this a Newspaper or is it car club Magazine report on the 1st Kerepehi Grass Track meeting.
- as received; a little small but if enlarged the words are hard to read !!

in monochrome;

Roger Dowding
12-02-2022, 06:35 AM
From the Programme.
Cover and List of entries have been posted in better quality from Milan Fistonic archives.

The Presidents Message and the Track map and Flag Signals pages;

The race list ;
The First race has entrants and a few in the second - again hard to read.
Races 1 to 16;
- can see D Bjerring as the only entrant in race 8, when the programme was printed.
- [ note for Ken H ]

Race 17 to 31 - a big event. [Although it is a short track and presume only 4 - 5 lap races ].

Keretown - putting Kerepehi on the Map.
The sponsors advertising ; and yes the MG has Australian Plates !!

That is it from Keretown - Kerepehi .. for the moment.

Allan
12-05-2022, 04:53 AM
Ron and Dave Bjerring were first cousins. Ron passed a few years back.

Roger Dowding
12-05-2022, 05:43 AM
Ron and Dave Bjerring were first cousins. Ron passed a few years back.

Thanks Allan,

Were you involved with Thames Valley Car Club ??..
my involvement was as a Spectator at the 1967 Kerepehi Grass Track and as a Trial Contestant in the TVCC round of the Interclub Mercury Trophy Trial series in the mid 1970's .. not sure how many years but would be in the 1975 - 1977 period.

Have found out Ron passed away in 2014 aged 66 ..RIP Ron Bjerring.

Roger Dowding
12-05-2022, 05:56 AM
Kerepehi Domain - was first mooted in 1939 then a war got in the way
A bit of History from the Hauraki District Council site;

No mention of the Car Racing - but there was a Horse Racing Track - did they just use part of it and add the hairpin part on.. ??

" The first football and hockey games were played on the new Domain in 1947. These
clubs were well established with the football club in existence since 1920 and the
hockey club since 1926. The bowling greens opened in 1948 after substantial
volunteer work. The bowling club pavilion was built in 1951 with further additions in
1961 and 1965.
Tennis courts and new toilets were constructed in 1948 with many working bees to dig
out rushes and construct the horse racing track. In 1953 saw the construction of
shower rooms, changing sheds and kitchen that were mainly for the use of the football
club.
The caretakers house was built in 1954 and a year later in 1955 the hall was opened.

The Kerepēhi Rugby Club is now in recess. Prior to the closure of the Kerepehi Dairy
factory, rugby at Kerepēhi prospered. The area of playing field that is not used for
rugby has been set aside for grazing which reduces ground maintenance costs.

The Kerepēhi Bowling Club had an all-weather surface added to the existing green in
1993. This has enhanced an already strong Club. The Kerepēhi Indoor Bowling Club
uses the Kerepēhi Memorial Hall. The club meets around forty nights per year. " ..

Roger Dowding
12-06-2022, 06:22 AM
The pictures of Waharoa Grass Track in 1956 - the photos from Dennis Marwood archives.
Mr Marwood was a well known and respected member of Hamilton Car Club.
( Any more of those images BRY3500 ?? )

Have just received the full programme details for the March 1966 event which was part of the
" DR Grasstrack Racing " series.

Mr Marwood and others are mentioned in the Programme as being among the well known " racers " within Hamilton Car Club. - more to come once images are resized to TRS standard ..

The note from the President David McCathie about Dennis Marwood Jim Palmer and the others..

Roger Dowding
12-07-2022, 05:24 AM
The Cover and the Official Notes and the Note about the meeting from the President..

The Officials ;
Graham Meekings name mentioned

Roger Dowding
12-07-2022, 05:42 AM
The Race Events and Entry Lists.

A good size field and many well known names from the Clubs ACC, HCC, NSCC, TVCC and even a man from the NZIGP..

The Event schedule ;

The Entrants ;-
See Alan Boyle there - he has provided Certificates for his performance at the event.
Racing and Sports cars as well as the small Saloons

Saloons 1000cc and over in various classes.

Dave Bjerring in the Cortina Race #45 - so the Ken H photo from this event.

Mix of vehicles - presume late entries and the list of trophy's.
Note that one trophy was competed for at the 1964 - 1965 Matamata Street Race meetings
- " The Round the Houses " events.

Roger Dowding
12-07-2022, 05:57 AM
Notes from the Promoters ; the Matamata Public Relations Association ( Inc )

Rules of the event from the Organisers ; Hamilton Car Club and the Matamata PR Assoc.

The back Cover ;

An Advert from the programme has the service of Wide Wheel widening - a big thing in 1960's New Zealand with "Jolly Wide Wheels " a well known brand.
You didn't need to leave Matamata to get them done ..

Had Jolly Wide Wheels on my first car -front only - the 1960 Austin Se7en Mini ..
-they were 5 inch so 10 x 5, in 1967 ran the latest Firestone 5.90X 10 tyres, with the normal 10 x 3.5 with 5.20 x 10 tyres on the rear.

Wore the front tyres out very quickly

Oldfart
12-07-2022, 08:38 AM
I think the letter posted above from A.D. (Doug) Turner (family friend) absolutely lays to rest the comment that street circuits were banned, at least in the case of Matamata!

khyndart in CA
12-08-2022, 11:14 PM
Not sure of the year; At Waharoa, J. Sheppard's Morris Mini Cooper parked beside the Humber 80 powered with a Jaguar engine # 78 and driven by Frank Radisich. (The Humber 80 model cars were only built in NZ.)

The earlier mentioned Ford Prefect of Ron Bjerring together at the Maramarua Hillclimb. ( Year?)
(From John Climo's scrapbook.)

(KH)

Roger Dowding
12-09-2022, 04:19 AM
Ken H, thanks for those..

The photo of Ron and the Prefect - I found it on " Google " under Ron Bjerring, but could not upload.
Interesting that John Climo had it - I know he has the " Cabbage Tree Corner media " files - website and Facebook - I must try harder !!.

Wonder if John Sheppard has seen that photo of his Mini ?? [ see Milan's note post #36 RIP John Sheppard ].

The Radisich Humber 80 looks decidely worn in the picture - on its 3rd engine [ second re-power - Zephyr 2553 cc then Jaguar at 3.4 or 3.8 - must check].

Milan Fistonic
12-09-2022, 05:43 AM
Ken H, thanks for those..

Wonder if John Sheppard has seen that photo of his Mini ??

John died last year.

https://notices.nzherald.co.nz/nz/obituaries/nzherald-nz/name/john-sheppard-obituary?pid=199375394

Roger Dowding
12-09-2022, 05:56 AM
Thanks Milan,

A small tribute to John from his Obituary

SHEPPARD, John Moore. Born 4 September 1934 at Thames. Died Monday 5 July 2021 at Waihi. Loved brother of Doreen Hume and the late Phyllis Cornwall, Nora Needham and Barry Sheppard. Sadly missed "Clunk" to his twenty-two nieces and nephews and their children. Remembered by fellow enthusiasts in model aircraft competition, motorsports (Pukekohe racing and rallying Minis) and gliding. Past longtime organiser of Katikati's Moggie's Market.

Roger Dowding
12-11-2022, 01:33 AM
Some Entry List details I have just re-discovered.

The Programme Cover 11th March 1967 - [ posted before ]
Matamata Airfield - Waharoa.

The Entrants ..

Alan Boyle - car #46 got this certificate ..Placed 2nd in the Saloon Car under 1000cc final.

Roger Dowding
12-11-2022, 01:41 AM
Have had a request for photos of Jim Palmer in his early years of racing and his early cars.

Have a couple of photos of Jim Palmer - Porsche 911 at the 1971 NZ Grand Prix Meeting at Pukekohe.

Any contributions appreciated.

Jim Palmer will be a featured driver at Hampton Downs in February I understand - although have seen an advert for Taupo in January 2023 .. Chris Watson is putting a display together.

Here a photo of Jim Palmer at Hora Hora [ or is it Horahora ] Sprints. from Ken H archives.

Words, images and Entry Lists for Jim Palmer, Ardmore and Dunedin 1960 - 1961 - 1962 - a montage
Thanks to Allan for the Ardmore Programmes and Bruce D for the Dunedin one.

Roger Dowding
07-05-2023, 06:14 AM
Some John Larry Lawton photos from the event.
Notes are from J L Lawton

Tony Vazey Chev Coupe ..

Bob Homewood driving Kevin Chapman ( Big Charles ) Anglia part of the Clevedon Motors Racing Team.

Kevin Clark Mini John Hallet Anglia with Doug Bremner VW in front.

Cortina and Anglia - not named ..

Mini - Ross Hollings #14.

John Hallet Anglia out wide.

Was at the meeting but took no photos and don't remember it very well.

Roger Dowding
09-13-2023, 05:45 AM
Thames Valley Car Club meeting. December 17th 1966.
Don Brunt commented that the track is still there but unused in recent years, made worse by the Covid Pandemic.

Rod McCallum leads Jim Richards, for first place but Jim prevailed - notes and photo by John Larry Lawton.

Another photo of the Rod McCallum car this time in the paddock at Pukekohe in 1967.. Car #113 the Anglia beside it is #144 ex Bob Homewood .. then with Marcel Grand