PDA

View Full Version : Levin and Cabbage Tree Corner

khyndart in CA
10-19-2022, 12:30 AM
Thanks to John Climo, Laurie Brensall and Grant Ellwood who have given me permission to share here on TRS, some of their wonderful information and photos etc. from the glory days at the Levin circuit. This was a circuit that I often heard about but did not know much about and I wanted to share some of what have learnt.
The road course was due to the efforts of Englishman Ron Frost who settled in Levin after WW 2. It was first raced on in 1956 and was closed about 20 years later.
Although not much more than a mile around it hosted some of the best drivers in the world. The track was in the confines of the Levin Racecourse and there is nothing there today to remind one of what was Cabbage Tree Corner or Hokio Bend on the map displayed. The aerial photo does show today where the Hairpin was. (At the red dot.)

Looking south

Looking north.

(Ken H)

Trevor Sheffield
10-19-2022, 05:52 AM
This place was heaven for many. It sorted out genuine drivers from the money reliant.

khyndart in CA
10-19-2022, 08:09 AM
Trevor,
After looking at this grainy old video I can see how the sweeping curve through Cabbage Tree caused issues for many drivers including whoever was driving the Lycoming Special # 47

https://youtu.be/EUFZyaQjiF8

( If anyone can fill in; who and when etc. from the video, please do so. )

(Ken H)

Trevor Sheffield
10-19-2022, 08:27 AM
Yes, it provided the better driver with the prospect of an advantage, which is what motor racing should be all about. Should a golf course be devoid of bunkers? LOL

Even those with a limited budget could enter the curve at the end of the straight at a speed whereby it was possible to achieve a long continuing drift in the true essence of motor racing. The wonderful sensation will remain in my memory forever.

Oldfart
10-19-2022, 01:03 PM
I would not be 100%m but the Lycoming roll is likely when Jim Boyd had it. There was one of those back page photos in Motorman with the CY plate number, and a caption along the lines "You can see why Jim Boyd is so fast in Hillclimbs". It has to be from 65 (or is it 64) onwards anyway.

Milan Fistonic
10-20-2022, 12:00 AM
Jim Boyd's accident in the Lycoming happened at the March 1965 Levin meeting.

Allan
10-20-2022, 02:06 AM

khyndart in CA
10-20-2022, 05:29 PM
Another nasty-looking accident at the Cabbage Tree Corner (Hokio Bend ) that can be briefly seen in the film clip happened in 1964.
Fortunately, no one was injured.

(Ken H)

Allan
10-21-2022, 01:52 AM
I was there and well remember the incident.

khyndart in CA
10-21-2022, 08:25 AM
Ron Frost was a major force in elevating New Zealand motor racing to a place of world renown through the 1960s and 1970s. After racing motorcycles in pre-World War II England, then converting to 500cc single-seater cars after the war, Ron emigrated to New Zealand in 1952. He and another Englishman, Arnold Stafford, opened a Hillman, Chrysler dealership and went to work and also found time to race their 500 cc JBS race cars.

Some JBS 500 cc race car information.

(Ken H )

Oldfart
10-21-2022, 01:23 PM
Looking at the aerial photo I reckon I can see where parts of the track were.

bry3500
10-23-2022, 05:59 AM
Looking at the aerial photo I reckon I can see where parts of the track were.

Agree, for sure..

Ray Bell
10-23-2022, 06:51 AM
Might be even easier like this:

http://www.theroaringseason.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73552&d=1666135668

https://i.postimg.cc/XNtXryRn/1022-GELevin.jpg

khyndart in CA
10-23-2022, 08:12 AM
Ron Frost created New Zealand’s first permanent international car racing track here in 1956, foreseeing the need to move on from our temporary circuits on open roads and aerodromes. His vision, confidence and enduring contacts back in England were largely responsible for the acclaimed Tasman Series being established in 1964. This attracted the world’s finest Grand Prix drivers to New Zealand and Australia throughout the rest of that decade. Every Formula 1 world champion between 1959 and 1971 raced at Levin at least once during that period and the town benefited greatly from the thousands of fans who flocked in to watch them. ( " Heritage Horowhenua".)
He also set up the NZ Driver to Europe program that sent Bruce McLaren, Denis Hulme and George Lawton on their way to race in Europe. He worked with Australia's Geoff Sykes to bring the very best drivers to race here in Australasia and I look back and realize how grateful I am to have been around during that era.
As I read Ron's biography here I think it would have made a wonderful movie script.
https://www.hh.org.nz/horowhenua/profile/FROST%20Ron.pdf

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
10-23-2022, 09:31 AM
Our friend the late David McKinney saw the Tasman Cup thing differently...

When I asked him about contributing to the Tasman Cup book Tony Loxley produced he declined, saying that the decline in the 'international series' entry after 1961 was definite and that the Tasman Cup did nothing to arrest that decline. "The whole grid from the USGP at Riverside came to New Zealand after that race," he told me, but we never saw anything like that level of participation again.

But that's not to say it wasn't good, nor to say that it wasn't as good as it could be given the parameters of the era. We all loved what we got, we looked forward to it every year and longed to see the Ferraris come out.

Right?

khyndart in CA
10-24-2022, 04:06 AM
Ray,
I still think it was amazing that from the mid sixties when F1 had 3 liter engines and the Tasman limit was at 2.5 liter we had all the teams such as Lotus, Brabham, BRM, Ferrari etc build special engines to come out and compete and that is where I give Mr. Frost and Mr. Sykes a lot of credit. It meant that in the right conditions the local drivers such as Kerry Grant, Roly Levis, Frank Gardner, Frank Matich could race right up there with the "big boys". and at less than a 1.25 mile circuit, racing at Levin was was wonderful entertainment apparently.
(Ken H)

Ray Bell
10-24-2022, 11:48 PM
Not forgetting that Gardner was one of the 'Internationals'...

He'd buy a car for the Mildren team to enter and then use the following year. Or two.

In fact, from 1966 the special engines began as expanded now-defunct 1.5-litre units, I don't know what the Ferrari engine was but it was supposed at the time that it was a 1960 engine. Four valves per cylinder sort of knocks that idea on the head. So it was most likely an expanded F2 engine. Brabham's Repco engines, of course, were no trouble to put together because Repco were making them for entrants here, though it's clear that the engine was better suited to the 3-litre configuration than the 2.5. Remembering that this engine was also initially available in 4.4 litres and versions went out to five litres.

Of course time saw the visitors bringing out smaller versions of their 3 litre engines, BRM and Lotus with the Cosworth, one of which was also used by Piers Courage.

Geoff Sykes wasn't always happy with his relationship with Ron Frost. He saw him as dominating the driver choices when he was making approaches in Europe, but deferred because Frost had an annual trip over there at least partially funded by other interests (business etc).

khyndart in CA
10-27-2022, 12:15 AM
The first event held at the Levin circuit was in January 1956. It was well attended and a busy race schedule kept the crowd entertained.
Here are some clippings from that day.

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
10-27-2022, 01:36 AM
Javelins featuring well there, Ken...

Such variety in the fifties. People still learning how to make things go fast, experimenting and having fun.

khyndart in CA
10-30-2022, 08:53 AM
Thanks again to John Climo for allowing me to share these images of the early events at Levin. The second Levin meeting was in October 1956.
One of the entrants there was Auckland business man and race driver, Tom Clark..
Tom was driving an HWM 2 litre HWM he had purchased from Australian Tony Gaze earlier in the year.
The Hesham & Walton Motors (HWM ) # 22 had an Alta 2 litre super charged engine.
More about this car can be read at this site.
https://primotipo.com/2019/12/13/tony-gaze-hwm-alta-new-zealand-1954/

Tom Clark during a practice session at Levin.

Tom Clark in HWM # 22 on race day.

Driver safety was not a priority it seems at that time!

Tom had to work hard to stay ahead of the pesky 500 cc Coopers of Ron Frost # 15 and Arnold Stafford.

(Harold Plimmer photos.)

(Ken H)

jellywrestler
10-30-2022, 08:03 PM
Ron Frost created New Zealand’s first permanent international car racing track here in 1956, foreseeing the need to move on from our temporary circuits on open roads and aerodromes.

(Ken H)

not quite correct Lake Brndwyr was australasias first purpose built fully sealed circuit in 1949. Levin may have been built in 1956 but before it was accepted as an international circuit it had to be extended and it was also widened at the same time a few years later

Ray Bell
10-30-2022, 10:28 PM
Looks pretty good in the photos in the other thread...

But was it built as a circuit, or was it built (like Bathurst) as a community project or park drive which could be used as a circuit?

If that were the case, then Bathurst would pre-date it.

khyndart in CA
10-31-2022, 02:51 AM
I guess I was loose with my wording but I have read in some sources that Levin was "New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility."

(Ken H)

Trevor Sheffield
10-31-2022, 03:57 AM
Henning's Speedway located in Mangere lays claim to this title, as a "Google" will confirm. However, I would agree that it was the first sealed track venue in the form of a true motor racing circuit.

jellywrestler
10-31-2022, 05:31 AM
Henning's Speedway located in Mangere lays claim to this title, as a "Google" will confirm. However, I would agree that it was the first sealed track venue in the form of a true motor racing circuit.

what title? Hennings I beleive was NZ's first purpose built facility and while it was called a sppedway it was 1.4 miles long and not in the spirit of what we know as speedway. On top of this I have photos of esses through 44 gallon drums among it, making it a road race. Lake Bryndwr was australasias first fully sealed Road Racing Circuit, over six years ahead of both Levin Motor Racing Circuit and Teretonga par.

Check out this book, 160 Road Racing Circuits covered in NZ

http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?2662-New-Zealand-Motorcycle-Road-Racing-Circuits-New-book-on-the-market

jellywrestler
10-31-2022, 05:32 AM
I guess I was loose with my wording but I have read in some sources that Levin was "New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility."

(Ken H)

poorly researched sources.

jellywrestler
10-31-2022, 05:34 AM
Looks pretty good in the photos in the other thread...

But was it built as a circuit, or was it built (like Bathurst) as a community project or park drive which could be used as a circuit?

If that were the case, then Bathurst would pre-date it.
Lake Bryndwr was Australasias first purpose built circuit, Bathurst is a Road Race/Street Circuit so not comparable

khyndart in CA
10-31-2022, 07:57 AM
poorly researched sources.

So this source is a poor research ?
https://www.racingcircuits.info/australasia/new-zealand/levin.html
" The Levin Motor Racing Circuit was New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility, small in scale but massively important for the development of the sport in the country, which had previously relied on temporary street and airfield circuits.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"It was the first purpose-built car racing circuit
in New Zealand to compare with the major temporary tracks laid out on the
airfields of Ardmore and Wigram." ; https://www.hh.org.nz/horowhenua/profile/FROST%20Ron.pdf

Graeme; To say I had poorly researched Levin is a poor choice of words.

Ken

Ray Bell
10-31-2022, 08:25 AM
Jelly wrestler, your research on Bathurst is poor...

It was built to double as a scenic road and as a racing circuit, sealed in time for the 1939 meeting. It's been in use ever since as a motor racing circuit, with the exception of the war years, and has been equally important in the development of both car and motorcycle racing in Australia.

khyndart in CA
10-31-2022, 08:41 AM
Speaking of Bathurst and Tom Clark, this is what happened to Tom two years later at the Mount Panorama Circuit, near Bathurst in New South Wales, Australia on 6 October 1958.
As described in Eoin Young's "Classic Racers" book.

(Ken H)

Trevor Sheffield
10-31-2022, 09:07 AM
what title? Hennings I beleive was NZ's first purpose built facility and while it was called a sppedway it was 1.4 miles long and not in the spirit of what we know as speedway. On top of this I have photos of esses through 44 gallon drums among it, making it a road race. Lake Bryndwr was australasias first fully sealed Road Racing Circuit, over six years ahead of both Levin Motor Racing Circuit and Teretonga par.

Check out this book, 160 Road Racing Circuits covered in NZ

http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?2662-New-Zealand-Motorcycle-Road-Racing-Circuits-New-book-on-the-market

Henning's Speedway was also referred to as the Mangere Speedway and was in no shape or form designed, built or intended to be used as a road racing circuit. I have had lengthy, detailed conversations with four who raced there, i.e. Gerry Matherson, Merv Hardy, George Smith and Bert Batty. I recall their many recollections of the place, which was intended to hopefully replicate a full size American speedway, as opposed to a quarter mile midget car track. At the time motor sport tended to be very much US inspired and the cars raced followed this trend. Furthermore, midget cars as such, were yet to arrive on the scene.

By the way and on top of this, the traditional 44 gallon drum was a significant item in respect of the construction and death of the place. LOL.

jellywrestler
10-31-2022, 09:14 PM
Jelly wrestler, your research on Bathurst is poor...

It was built to double as a scenic road and as a racing circuit, sealed in time for the 1939 meeting. It's been in use ever since as a motor racing circuit, with the exception of the war years, and has been equally important in the development of both car and motorcycle racing in Australia.

It is not an exclusive circuit, it is also a public road.

jellywrestler
10-31-2022, 09:15 PM
Henning's Speedway was also referred to as the Mangere Speedway and was in no shape or form designed, built or intended to be used as a road racing circuit. I have had lengthy, detailed conversations with four who raced there, i.e. Gerry Matherson, Merv Hardy, George Smith and Bert Batty. I recall their many recollections of the place, which was intended to hopefully replicate a full size American speedway, as opposed to a quarter mile midget car track. At the time motor sport tended to be very much US inspired and the cars raced followed this trend. Furthermore, midget cars as such, were yet to arrive on the scene.

By the way and on top of this, the traditional 44 gallon drum was a significant item in respect of the construction and death of the place. LOL.

and yet it was used for road racing as we know it, at least for motorcycles

jellywrestler
10-31-2022, 09:17 PM
" The Levin Motor Racing Circuit was New Zealand's first permanent motorsport facility, small in scale but massively important for the development of the sport in the country, which had previously relied on temporary street and airfield circuits.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
airfields of Ardmore and Wigram." ; https://www.hh.org.nz/horowhenua/profile/FROST%20Ron.pdf

Ken
what words would you use then as it's simply not at all correct?

Trevor Sheffield
11-01-2022, 02:57 AM
and yet it was used for road racing as we know it, at least for motorcycles

Please be very certain that I am not among those who you advise are confused in respect of what constitutes a road race, i.e. on foot, a bicycle, motorcycle, motor car or whatever. LOL

GregT
11-01-2022, 08:07 AM

Ken

I would describe the first website as incomplete. If they're going to list now unused circuits, then list them all.

The second website is as I'd expect, parochial toward the local view of history. Not uncommon in NZ.

I suspect Graeme meant the website was poorly researched. Without Graeme's book to hand to supply the correct answers, it's a bit of a trap.

khyndart in CA
11-01-2022, 06:02 PM
October 1956. Second meet at Levin.
Some photos of Jim Boyd driving his Buckler-Ford # 23.
The first one is on practice day before the crowds arrived, coming around "Cabbage Tree Corner". The cabbage tree is on the inside.

On race day and the crowds have arrived, same corner showing the cabbage tree on the outside of the corner.

Jim having some problems at the Hairpin when a shower passed through.

Battling it out with a Cooper Bristol and a 500 cc Cooper

The handling was much better coming around the Hairpin in the dry !
(Harold Plimmer photos )

(Ken H )

jellywrestler
11-01-2022, 09:41 PM
the old grandstand has lost it's roof but still there

jellywrestler
11-01-2022, 10:43 PM
begs the question why 10 months between meetings on a brand new circuit, i know they had sealing issues, must have taken time to resolve?

khyndart in CA
11-01-2022, 11:23 PM
jellywrestler;
Yes, Mr. Frost did have some challenges.
"The track surface broke up badly during the first meeting due its relatively poor construction and, despite a turnout of some 15,0000 spectators, a bank loan was needed to effect the necessary repairs." (racingcircuits.info)

(Perhaps the bank manager did not think another racetrack 35 miles from Ohakea was necessary!)

(Ken H)

Milan Fistonic
11-01-2022, 11:42 PM
Following the problems with the track at the opening meeting run by the Levin Car Club, a new organising club, the Levin Motor Racing Club, was set up and they had the track remade including proper consolidation of the base course. A practice day was held early in October 1956 to test the surface. Tom Clark (HWM), George Palmer (Cooper-Bristol) and a number of 500 drivers took part and proved the improvements were successful.

jellywrestler
11-02-2022, 04:35 AM
Following the problems with the track at the opening meeting run by the Levin Car Club, a new organising club, the Levin Motor Racing Club, was set up and they had the track remade including proper consolidation of the base course. A practice day was held early in October 1956 to test the surface. Tom Clark (HWM), George Palmer (Cooper-Bristol) and a number of 500 drivers took part and proved the improvements were successful.

Colliers sealed it the first time and they had said that there was not enough time etc to do it properly and it fell apart, dont know who repaired it but they were not included in the second iteration of the circuit which added some distance and it was widened by two meters. The original collier had moved on or retired when the third iteration was done and colliers came back in, there was a bit of patching of relationships for this to go ahead and an acknowledgement that it wasn't entirely colliers problem the first time around., I recently talked to the collier who did the last extension/alteration and this came from him

khyndart in CA
11-02-2022, 08:38 AM
On the newly sealed track, the sports car race is about to begin.
The front row L-R Jim Boyd in the Buckler, Ross Jensen in his Austin Healey 100 S and R. Crowther in a beautiful Lotus 11.
In behind the Lotus is an Austin Healey driven by a young man making one of his first starts, Bruce McLaren.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
11-04-2022, 12:55 AM
In another race the crowd enjoyed the battle between a 1934 Alfa Romeo # 21 driven by John McMillan and a new Austin Healey 100S #18 driven by Ross Jensen.

(Harold Plimmer photos.)

In 1957 John sold the Alfa Romeo P3 to Ernie Sprague for 500 pounds and Ernie sold it for about the same price a year later.
It was P3 chassis # C50006 and it was just a 22 year old worn out race car !

khyndart in CA
11-04-2022, 01:03 AM
In 2017 that same P3 chassis # C50006 was sold at an auction in Paris.
1934 Alfa Romeo Tipo B P3
VIN:50006
Status; SOLD
€3,920,000 ($4,180,680)

An interesting read.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pa17/paris/lots/r113-1934-alfa-romeo-tipo-b-p3/408013

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
11-04-2022, 12:20 PM
In the late model spec with the Dubonnet front suspension...

You don't get that for a Vauxhall or Master Chev.

Roger Dowding
11-05-2022, 03:01 AM
Great stuff ... Ken H,

Had posted some Lewis Townsend photos from Levin on another thread.

Would you like them shared here as the thread is a designated " Levin " story.

The Programme Cover for the October 1956 event - David McKinney archives [ RIP David ].
posted elsewhere but belongs here.

Cheers Guys,

PS the AH 100S is AHS3908 imported by Austin New Zealand and sold to Seabrook Fowlds, - the car is still in New Zealand, fully and sympathetically restored as Ross Jensen raced it.
It later went to Graham Pierce in the 1960's and others..

Just back from a quiet 2 and 1/2 weeks on peaceful Waiheke Island .. largely fee of electronic media .. a mobile phone and an older TV ..

jellywrestler
11-05-2022, 11:02 AM
got a few Levin Programmes but none that early Levin Motor Racing Circuit

1961 SAT JAN 14TH
1961 SAT NOV 25TH
1963 SAT JAN 12TH
1963 SAT MARCH 23RD
1963 SAT NOV 30TH
1964 SAT JAN 4TH
1964 SAT NOV 28TH
1965 SAT JAN 16TH
1965 SAT MAR 27TH
1965 SAT NOV 27TH
1966 SAT JAN 15TH
1966 SAT MARCH 12TH
1967 SAT JAN 14TH
1967 SAT NOV 25TH
1968 SAT JAN 13TH
1968 SAT MARCH 23RD
1968 SAT NOV 30TH
1969 SAT MARCH 22ND
1970 FR1 2ND SAT 3RD JAN
1971 JAN 2ND
1972 SAT MAR 4TH
1973 SAT JAN 13TH
1973 MAY 26TH HUTT VALLEY MCC
1975 SAT JUNE 7TH HUTT VALLEY MOTORCYCLE CLUB
1975 DEC 7TH
1976 SUN MARCH 14TH HUTT VALLEY MCC

khyndart in CA
11-08-2022, 06:53 AM
Ron Roycroft arrived at the 1956 Levin event with his 1925 Bugatti Type 35A now fitted with a 3.4 liter 6 cylinder Jaguar XK 120 engine and gearbox instead of the wornout original French straight 8 assembly.
What roll cage and safety suit ? (A brave driver indeed.)

Ron lighting up the tyres as he exits the Hairpin.

73650[/ATTACH
Battling with Tom Clark.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73651
With that engine installed it was given the rather inglorious name of "Bug-Jag"
(Harold Plimmer photos)

Unlike other classics that left NZ this vehicle has been kept by the Roycroft family and beautifully restored and maintained by Ron's son, Terry. (Seen driving the car in 2022.)

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/stratford-press/news/vintage-bugatti-with-a-jaguar-engine-and-gearbox-is-one-of-cars-featured/OBEQLD2H43NXSVGDUYID6FPZZM/

(Ken H )

Roger Dowding
11-09-2022, 01:35 AM
Ken H,

I understand that Terry Roycroft has the Bugatti engine, but the car is still running the Jaguar one..
I know BMC Boy had a few photos of the car at a Chelsea Walsh Hill Climb, before they, VCC, were stopped from running it after the 2017 event.

More important to have a Cafe and Factory Tours [ a recent concept ] than to let the VCC Boys have one day a year for the Hill Climb!!
The Hill Climb ran from the 1960's I understand - must check that detail.

khyndart in CA
11-09-2022, 02:01 AM
Roger,
The Jaguar and Bugatti engine info. is in that attached Herald site.
Could you open that ok ?
I see Ralph Watson was involved, was he the one who built the Lycoming Special ?
Ken

Roger Dowding
11-09-2022, 02:07 AM
Roger,
The Jaguar and Bugatti engine info. is in that attached Herald site.
Could you open that ok ?
I see Ralph Watson was involved, was he the one who built the Lycoming Special ?
Ken

Ralph Watson built the Lycoming Special in the mid 1950's and a BSA Special too, he was Ron Roycroft's mechanic / engineer for many years. looking after the Bugatti, The " Blue " Ferrari and the pre-war Alfa Romeo for Ron.

Will have a look at the Herald link ..

Had a quick look - they only give you a few minutes - then you have to subscribe !!

Cheers and thanks Ken H,

Roger

khyndart in CA
11-09-2022, 03:08 AM
I might be in trouble for this !
" Further tweaks to the car involved the importing of a C-type cylinder head and D-type pistons, resulting in the car, with Ron driving, taking that sixth place in the 1956 Grand Prix. How fast could it go? Ron and Terry recall a timed speed of 250km/h on the Ryall Bush road circuit in Southland.

A year after the Grand Prix success, a dropped valve during a race near Christchurch led to the Bugatti's retirement. The Jaguar engine was removed and the car sat, engine-less, in the Roycroft garage. A decade or so later, Ron, Terry and Ralph rebuilt its original Bugatti engine and gearbox, restoring it to original specs and getting it back on the road.

After over four decades or being back on the road as both a touring and competition car the Bugatti went back to the workshop in 2012, when Terry removed the Bugatti engine and gearbox again, to replace them once more with the Jaguar parts.
The original Bugatti parts are still in the garage, should Terry feel like taking it back to its factory specs again, but for now, the one of a kind Bug-Jag is back, and driving as beautifully as ever before."
(NZ Herald clip )

GregT
11-09-2022, 07:28 AM
At least that's one car with NZ history that hasn't been "restored" to a form with very little history

So often they are changed "because it's a Bugatti" or whatever and the car with the history is lost.

Oldfart
11-09-2022, 08:46 AM
When I was speaking with Terry he told me that he had put the Bugatti engine back, in quite recent times, and also tried the larger diameter original wheels. He said, his words "The Bugatti is so gutless I couldn't stand it, and the wheel patter under braking with the big wheels is horrendous" so back went the Jag engine, which had also sat in another special Ron had never completed. In my worthless opinion, as the car is never to be passed on to other than family, the history is best with the Jag engine.
When I visited Ron in 1968 the engine was sitting in the Special, but only someone as small as Ron could ever have driven it. I sat in it while he took off in my own car. I think that Pete Benbrook may have that car now.

khyndart in CA
11-10-2022, 01:33 AM
Some more Harold Plimmer photos of Ron Roycroft at Levin. Oct. 1956.
Leading the field through Cabbage Tree Corner.

Drifting the "Bug-Jag" through the Cabbage Tree.

Out front in his race.

Ron Roycroft taking the chequered flag.

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
11-11-2022, 01:44 AM
Some of the saloon car racing at the Levin Meet.
# 47 W. Watt in his Javelin leading Tom Doherty's V-8 Ford coupe and George Lawton in his Mk1 Zephyr # 45 coming through the Hairpin.

George Lawton rounding the Cabbage Tree turn in his Zephyr # 45
Sadly George was to lose his life while racing in Europe a few years later.
He along with Denny Hulme was one of NZ's most promising young race drivers.

The Watt Javelin rounding Cabbage Tree corner.

Tom Doherty in his Ford V-8 coupe # 59 at the Cabbage Tree Corner.

(Ken H)

Roger Dowding
11-11-2022, 02:53 AM
" Sadly George was to lose his life while racing in Europe a few years later.
He along with Denny Hulme was one of NZ's most promising young race drivers. "
Sad indeed, Ken H, George and Denny were joint " Drivers to Europe " in 1960 as organised by the New Zealand International Grand Prix Association,Bruce McLaren, having been an earlier " Driver .. to Europe ".
George raced an Austin Healey 100 Six and a Cooper Bobtail, before going to Europe.

George's cars around 1959/60..

Enjoying these photos Ken H .. keep them coming

Cheers from a very wet Bay of Plenty, so lots of time to look at photos and TRS, Facebook, write Letters to the Editor of NZ Classic Driver .. et al ..

khyndart in CA
11-11-2022, 06:30 AM
Poor George was racing amongst a very talented field. His accident happened right in front of Stirling Moss on that fateful day in 1960.
I Danmarks Grand Prix
Date
September 10, 1960
Circuit
Roskilde Ring
Distance
1.400 m x 40 Laps = 56.00 Kms
Pole Position
Stirling Moss , 43.7
Fastest Lap
Graham Hill , 43.2

Race sponsored by

Race Result Qualifying Entry List Reviews
Race uploaded by AdminRY
Pos # Driver Entrant Chassis Laps Time/Retire
1 1 Jack Brabham Cooper Car Co Cooper T51 - Climax 40 53m53.6
2 11 Graham Hill Team Lotus Lotus 18 - Climax 40 54m06.0
3 2 Innes Ireland Team Lotus Lotus 18 - Climax 40 54m23.5
4 7 Stirling Moss R.R.C. Walker Racing Team Porsche 718/2 40 54m50.3
5 9 David Piper DRW Engineering Cooper T43 - Climax 40 56m15.2
6 3 Mike McKee Jim Russell Racing Driver School Cooper T45 - Climax 40 56m19.0
7 10 Denny Hulme New Zealand International Cooper T51 - Climax 40 56m41.3
DNF 4 Geoff Duke Reg Parnell Racing Team Lotus 18 - Climax 0 -
DNF 5 George Lawton New Zealand International Cooper T45 - Climax 0 Fatal Accident
DNF 6 Carel Godin de Beaufort Ecurie Maarsbergen Cooper T51 - Climax 0 -
DNF 8 Tim Parnell Reg Parnell Racing Team Cooper T45 - Climax 0 -

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
11-16-2022, 06:41 AM
Bruce McLaren took the family 1954 Austin Healey 100-4 # 19 to the 1956 Levin Meet.
He got in driving experience driving up Auckland's One Tree Hill as shown in this Bruce McLaren Trust photo.

On the second row of the dummy grid at Levin.

With the race underway, Bruce is coming around with the Len Gilbert Cooper Mk 7 # 12 tucked in behind, ahead of Gavin Quirk in his Cooper Bristol # 4 followed by Jim Boyd in his Buckler Ford # 23.

Later, McLaren moves over to let Gilbert and Boyd go by.

A young, 19-year-old Bruce McLaren at work, on the road to greatness.
(Harold Plimmer photos)

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
11-20-2022, 02:04 AM
Some of the Specials and unusual cars at Levin in 1956.
Doug Lawrence racing away at the back of the field in a Citreon 15 # 32. (Perhaps leaving the spare wheel on slowed him down !)

Doug Bransgrove in his Wolsley Hornet Special # 25
(Harold Plimmer photos)

(Ken H)

bry3500
11-20-2022, 05:35 AM
Some great Levin photos on this thread
http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?1244-New-Zealand-National-Library-Photo-Collection&highlight=alexander+turnbull

Roger Dowding
11-21-2022, 12:31 AM
" Some great Levin photos on this thread
http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ander+turnbull "

Thanks again Bry3500 - yes great photos and many I had not seen before, some [ a few ] I had - but without knowing the origins.
I wonder who the Evening Post photographer was ?? - Did the EP hire him/her or just buy the negatinves ???

jellywrestler
11-21-2022, 08:30 AM

Thanks again Bry3500 - yes great photos and many I had not seen before, some [ a few ] I had - but without knowing the origins.
I wonder who the Evening Post photographer was ?? - Did the EP hire him/her or just buy the negatinves ???

I did photograhphy early on of bike meetings but it was going to send me to the poor house. I went to the local newspaper and got three films each visit, a press pass to the race meetings and i think $10 a shot for any published. I lost a few years of my own photos, but they were all avaialble and recently all of them surfaced recently and brought back memories. Some geek collector nerd had managed to get hold of them, long live geek collector nerds i say.

khyndart in CA
11-22-2022, 09:34 AM
More Harold Plimmer photos from 1956.
Ross Jensen in his Austin Healey # 18 making his way to the starting grid.
Ahead of the Fordy Farland Singer Special # 41 powered by a Buick 8 cylinder and in front of Bruce McLaren's Austin Healey # 19

Ross Jensen at work.

bry3500
11-22-2022, 10:03 AM

Davis, Bruce Valentine, 1913-2003
Amateur photographer, born Raetihi. Living in Wellington in 1980, later resident of Masterton.
Cheers Roger , the only details I could find about the photographer was that he was a keen amateur

bry3500
11-25-2022, 07:35 AM
More great photos on these links
https://www.cabbagetreecornermedia.com/laurie-brensell-levin-pictures
https://www.cabbagetreecornermedia.com/from-the-newspapers
https://www.cabbagetreecornermedia.com/johns-work-page-3
https://www.cabbagetreecornermedia.com/johns-work-page-5
and lots more on that web page

khyndart in CA
12-16-2022, 01:57 AM
With John Climo encouraging and giving permission to present more of his material it is time for me to get going.
More Harold Plimmer photos from the Oct. 1956 event.
Syd Jensen driving a 1955 Cooper MK 9 500 CC # 5

At speed along the straight.

Syd Jensen approaching the Levin Hairpin. Note the crowd size.

Syd Jensen leading Ron Frost out of the Hairpin.

A bit of information about a Cooper Mark 9 T36/ T 37. (Do any 500cc racers still exist in NZ today ?)
http://500race.org/marques/1955-mk-ix-t36-t37/

(Ken H)

GregT
12-16-2022, 03:52 AM
There are enough 500's tucked away that Auto restorations did a batch of 500 JAP engines some years back. I saw the raw castings and some machined cases too. I suspect that any 500 Manx Norton engines used in cars are now back in bikes due to the high prices being achieved for Manx Nortons.

khyndart in CA
12-26-2022, 09:46 AM
I have been in touch with my friend , Graham Donaldson, and it was a shock to learn of the serious health issues he is battling with and we should keep Graham in our prayers. He was a great race mechanic sought by many teams and drivers back in the 70s and 80s.

Here is a photo of Graham running to assist Peter Gethin in the VDS Chevron # 2 wearing a floppy hat, white t shirt and sandals!
Before the start of 1974 Tasman International Series first race, January 5th 1974 at the Levin Motor Racing Circuit,

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
01-04-2023, 09:07 AM
Jim Clark first drove at Levin in 1961 in a Lotus 18 and the track was slightly longer at 2.09 kms. When he returned in 1965 the circuit was now 1.77 kms in length. The races were about 30 laps long which was not much time to see some of the greatest drivers of that era.
Clark put on a masterful drive in 1965 driving a Lotus 32B. ( I liked the cars then as you could easily see the driver's name on the car, compared to the tiny lettering of today!
The 1965 start at Levin and one can clearly see who is behind the wheel of car # 1 )

There is a Primotipo article about the 1965 race.
https://primotipo.com/2017/11/02/levin-international-new-zealand-1965/
It appropriately mentions the fine work of our Milan Fistonic. (Thanks Milan, you are a tremendous asset to all of us on TRS (Ken H )

" Levin event held on 14-16 January 1965.

Kiwi enthusiast Milan Fistonic took some marvelous photos at the event which are posted on Steve Holmes ‘The Roaring Season’ website, check it out if you have not, it’s a favourite of mine. They are paddock shots which ooze atmosphere- Milan focuses mainly on local boy Bruce McLaren and Clark, they are magic shots which I hope you enjoy. This account of the weekend draws heavily on the sergent.com race report. It is another ripper site I always use as my Kiwi reference source." (Primotipo)

( I was a great admirer of Jim Clark and when I saw this 1965 ? clip of him at his Scottish family home it was like a scene from "All Creatures Great and Small" and I almost expected James Herriott to come walking around the corner!
Although some of the passing here looked a bit dodgy!
What a great driver and a humble man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt3oinrK54w

(Ken H )

khyndart in CA
01-08-2023, 03:18 PM
January 1968.
Jimmy was a busy man when he last drove at Levin, January 13th 1968.
On Monday Jan. 1st 1968, Clark won the South African F1 Grand Prix at Kyalami.
On Jan. 6th he competed in the NZGP at Pukekohe and on Jan 13th he drove at Levin.
(Perhaps all the travelling led to him making rare mistakes during the race ?)
This was the last time the Lotus 49 was seen in the team’s green and yellow colours.
By the time he had reached Wigram at Christchurch Jan. 20th, his Team Lotus 49T had been repainted in Gold Leaf cigarette sponsorship colours.

Pukekohe. Jan.6th 1968

Jan.13th. Levin. Rare mistakes by Jim Clark.

Jan.18th 1968. Christchurch. A healthy-looking Jim Clark in his newly painted Gold Leaf Lotus 49T. (Sponsorship had arrived!)

(Ken H)

GregT
01-08-2023, 07:49 PM
The cars were completed the Thursday prior to Wigram. They were based in Hutchison Ford premises in central Christchurch. I don't know if they were painted on site or fresh bodywork was freighted out from the UK. I walked in the back door to find the cars deserted but finished. Just as in the pic of Jimmy but no-one around. While I stood there a guy in a suit walked in and said "what do you think /" I said Denis Jenkinson is going to have a fit. I asked if Eoin Young had seen them yet. He said "He's just left "
I'd been in the previous day and they were flat out with both cars stripped to the chassis.

If you knew where the teams were based and had the time you could go round and see how things were going. I regularly parked my motorcycle out the back of Ransley Motors where a number of the kiwi privateers were based. Ernie introduced me to G lawrence and we had a 3 way discussion on space frames while looking at the Loti and brabhams on view.

A different time.

01-08-2023, 09:16 PM
I remember watchimg a mini harassing clyde colins falcon from cabbage tree up to the hairpin.mini would closeup on the falcon then use hime for brakes and turn down inside clyde on the apex and nip off for a half a lap. colin roberts was the mini driver i think, what ever happened to him?

Roger Dowding
03-10-2023, 06:48 AM
Ken H,

John has a lot of Levin Programme's - they are duplicates - would you like some -let me know.

Cheers

Roger

jellywrestler
03-13-2023, 08:32 AM
this is what I have, always on the hunt for more....
Levin Motor Racing Circuit keen on any missing ones please

1961 SAT JAN 14TH
1961 SAT NOV 25TH
1963 SAT JAN 12TH
1963 SAT MARCH 23RD
1963 SAT NOV 30TH
1964 SAT JAN 4TH
1964 SAT NOV 28TH
1965 SAT JAN 16TH
1965 SAT MAR 27TH
1965 SAT NOV 27TH
1966 SAT JAN 15TH
1966 SAT MARCH 12TH
1967 SAT JAN 14TH
1967 SAT NOV 25TH
1968 SAT JAN 13TH
1968 SAT MARCH 23RD
1968 SAT NOV 30TH
1969 SAT JAN 11TH
1969 SAT MARCH 22ND
1970 FR1 2ND SAT 3RD JAN
1971 JAN 2ND
1972 SAT JAN 15TH TASMAN INTERNATIONAL
1972 SAT MAR 4TH
1973 SAT JAN 13TH
1973 MAY 26TH HUTT VALLEY MCC
1975 SAT JUNE 7TH HUTT VALLEY MOTORCYCLE CLUB
1975 DEC 7TH
1976 SUN MARCH 14TH HUTT VALLEY MCC

jellywrestler
03-13-2023, 08:41 AM
JUST SCORED NOV 29TH 1969 TODAY.

khyndart in CA
03-15-2023, 08:29 AM
I know this is getting away from the subject but when I checked our family heritage I found my uncle had first entered the RNZAF at Levin before he headed off to the war and sadly died in England, January 1944.
Could someone kindly point out where the air force training was located at Levin in 1942 ?
Thank you.
Ken H

Oldfart
03-16-2023, 09:57 PM
Slightly similar Ken, Mum taught maths to navigators during the war, and until the day she died she regretted having done so as she felt she sent young boys off to die in the bombers! Also because she had done that with no pay, she was forever denied a salary step in education.

jellywrestler
03-19-2023, 04:00 AM
Slightly similar Ken, Mum taught maths to navigators during the war, and until the day she died she regretted having done so as she felt she sent young boys off to die in the bombers! Also because she had done that with no pay, she was forever denied a salary step in education.

they were going to war anyway, one could also take comfort in knowing she had improved their chances of surviving too.

jellywrestler
03-19-2023, 04:07 AM
it was out kimberley road where the mental health insitution was for a long time, just a local airstrip that was pressed into action at the time I've just tried to find period aerial piccies but can't sorry

khyndart in CA
03-19-2023, 09:04 AM
Thanks to you who have helped me with the answer; Allan, Rhys, Jellywrestler. I appreciate your inputs.
I did find this site which was interesting;
https://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/12818/lost-airfields-rnzaf-levin-wereroa

As I have noted before on a previous thread about Goodwood, my uncle apparently clipped the power lines that can often be seen going over the South Down Hills north of Goodwood about 5 miles east of the track.
(A 1965 photo showing the power lines in the distance. I'm not if they are still there today ? )

The plane almost made it to the coast but it sadly claimed lives on the ground as well. Ironically his brother Bob, worked for the NZ Union Steam Ship Company in Southampton about 1950-52 and boarded at Middleton-0n-Sea about 5 minutes from where the Mosquito crashed and he never knew that is where his brother had perished. We just found out within the last 20 years of what actually took place.
Again thanks for letting me get off track.
Ken H

khyndart in CA
03-23-2023, 12:26 AM
Is it really 50 years since we saw the Formula 5000 cars compete at Levin in 1973 ?
They lapped 3 seconds a lap quicker than the Lotus and Ferrari's of Jim Clark and Chris Amon in 1968.
Wouldn't it have great to have seen Clark go up against Graham McRae on this circuit when they were in their prime.
(Just dreaming and now I'm awake!)
1973 event programme cover.

Laurie Brensell's wonderful photos of race winner Graham McRae in his GM-1 005 # 22

(Thanks to Laurie and John Climo for permission to present their material on TRS. Ken H.)

Roger Dowding
03-27-2023, 02:46 AM
Meanwhile a bit up the road to the North.

This appeared at the " Last " Race meeting at Pukekohe ..

Photo by Bazza Morland.

Greg Stokes took a number of photos- which should go on the " Morrari " thread, and another recreation /replica of that era was there too !!.

Laurie and John have huge archives of photos and in John Climo's case programmes on NZ Motorsport,great they are available to us.
Thanks Ken H for posting..

khyndart in CA
03-27-2023, 08:18 AM
At the 1973 Levin International race, Frank Matich came in second and also set fastest lap in his Matich A50-1 # 1
We may never see the likes again where two men can build their own race cars, drive them and also beat the best of the rest.
A wonderful memory and we were indeed privileged to have witnessed this era.
(Laurie Brenssell's photos capture Frank in action. Jan.13th. 1973.)

(Ken H)

khyndart in CA
03-29-2023, 08:22 AM
Another captured by the lens of Laurie Brenssell at Levin, was a young 21 year old Noritake Takahara from Japan, driving a Brabham BT 36 # 15.

The weekend before he had competed at the 1973 NZGP at Pukekohe.
I put in this photo to show the size of the crowd on the hill as Noritake flashes by in this Barrie McBride photo.

A week after Levin, Noritake was competing at the Lady Wigram race near Christchurch.
You can just see the Bridgestone sign on his car. He was the first to use Bridgestone racing tyres on a single-seater in NZ.

(Laurie Brenssell & Barrie McBride photos.)

Ken H

Oldfart
03-30-2023, 07:50 AM
Plenty of wear on the left side tyres! Both at Wigram and Levin!

khyndart in CA
03-30-2023, 08:44 AM
Noritake Takahara was the first Japanese driver to compete in a Formula One race when he drove in the non-championship race at the 1974 International Trophy race at Silverstone.

He won many races in Japan in the mid 70s and he also drove a Surtees to 9th place in the rain in the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix becoming the first Japanese driver to complete a World Championship Grand Prix.

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
04-02-2023, 09:46 AM
I would have thought that Masahiro Hasemi was the first...

He was further up the grid and had been fastest in one practice session.

khyndart in CA
04-03-2023, 07:54 AM
Ray.
Noritake Takahara finished 9th in the 1976 Japanese F1 GP.
Masahiro Hasemi finished 11th in that race.

(Ken H)

Ray Bell
04-03-2023, 01:11 PM
But Hasemi was quicker in practice, taking tenth spot on the grid...

And I still think he was quickest in one qualifying session. Originally he was credited with fastest lap in the race but this was revised. His performance was the reason John McCormack bought the McLaren M23.

All in all a good performance by a Japan-built car, while final positions in a race so badly affected by the rain can be a bit of a lottery anyway.

Takahara was 24th on the grid.

khyndart in CA
04-03-2023, 09:50 PM
As they say in racing; It is not how you start but how you finish that counts.
Noritake went from 24th to 9th in the rain which was a very good effort.
Let us not take anything away from Noritake.

(Ken H)

Milan Fistonic
04-03-2023, 10:15 PM
But Hasemi was quicker in practice, taking tenth spot on the grid...

And I still think he was quickest in one qualifying session. Originally he was credited with fastest lap in the race but this was revised. His performance was the reason John McCormack bought the McLaren M23.

All in all a good performance by a Japan-built car, while final positions in a race so badly affected by the rain can be a bit of a lottery anyway.

Takahara was 24th on the grid.

Hasemi only recorded a time in Practice 1 which was the fourth fastest time of that session. He crashed in the Friday afternoon session.

Ray Bell
04-04-2023, 07:50 AM
Okay, my recollection of it all wasn't as good as I thought...

However, fourth in a practice session with 20 or more regular F1 entrants on the track, that's not to be sneezed at. Like I said, it was his performance which led John McCormack to buy the M23.

bry3500
05-13-2023, 01:27 AM
Pic courtesy Brian Spurr