PDA

View Full Version : Old automotive stickers decals etc

jellywrestler
07-06-2023, 08:45 AM
I recently brought a old logo from an old motorcycle shop and not sure what it is so wondered what experience others may have had from here with stuff from days gone by. What i have has a clean back where it is applied to a surface, and the image side has something similar to greaseproof cooking paper stuck to it. It's not a sticker like we have today, nor would i suspect it to be a window sticker that sticks on the inside of a window to be viewed from the outside, as I very much doubt a motorcycle shop from decades ago wold have done window stickers.
I don't thin kit's a decal like i used when building models as they had a glue on one side and were on a special paper, we used water to get the two separated and then applied the decal to a surface...

i have yet to find any info at all about the bike shop, it's from decades ago, maybe even the 1920's. I'll see if i can post photos when on another computer.

Does anyone know what it is please?

have just researched the company and found it was a 1920's company that didn't last past the depression so it will be interesting if someone knows about the 'decals' of that era

Oldfart
07-06-2023, 07:53 PM
That sounds like what's known as a "water slide" where you float it onto the surface with a wet film. Personally i would reproduce it and keep the original, it's what I have done with a few others.

ERC
07-06-2023, 09:01 PM
Agree with Oldfart. Warm water transfer.

jellywrestler
07-08-2023, 07:33 AM
That sounds like what's known as a "water slide" where you float it onto the surface with a wet film. Personally i would reproduce it and keep the original, it's what I have done with a few others.

photos up now, it's pre 1927 so want to be absolutley sure i've got the best advice before trying to remove the paper. maybe the greaseprrof paper has just got stuck on there over time, it's not a transfer as we know it as it sits as why would a motorcycle shop have one that goes on a see through surface, they had no fairings windshelds etc for bikes back then.

ERC
07-09-2023, 09:15 AM
A water transfer of that age would probably be extremely fragile, so I doubt it could be slid off without breaking up.

Equally, you can't scan it as is either!

Often, transfers were not so much for the actual bikes, but maybe for a car windscreen and just showing support for the bike?

I have a box of stickers and transfers, but stickers as we know them are relatively modern. My 1966 BRM H16 transfer is just that, a transfer. The Marlboro-BRM set were stickers, as were JPS Lotus, so I'm guessing that just about anything pre 1970 is a transfer - unless of course you have been a sold a repro item that doesn't actually date back to the 1920's anyway.

jellywrestler
07-09-2023, 11:13 PM
A water transfer of that age would probably be extremely fragile, so I doubt it could be slid off without breaking up.

Equally, you can't scan it as is either!

Often, transfers were not so much for the actual bikes, but maybe for a car windscreen and just showing support for the bike?

I have a box of stickers and transfers, but stickers as we know them are relatively modern. My 1966 BRM H16 transfer is just that, a transfer. The Marlboro-BRM set were stickers, as were JPS Lotus, so I'm guessing that just about anything pre 1970 is a transfer - unless of course you have been a sold a repro item that doesn't actually date back to the 1920's anyway.

can't imagine it as a repro as their would be little call for it when those things were the norm, prior to the modern stickers. My plan is to stick the back to something before removing the paper so it doesn't disintegrate

Allan
07-09-2023, 11:51 PM
Good luck

GregT
07-10-2023, 12:54 AM
I'd try a little warm water on a corner first to see if the top paper will lift.

Good luck Spyda.