PDA

View Full Version : Cemetery Circuit, whose going, whose been?

jellywrestler
12-14-2023, 09:59 AM
The circuit is unchanged since 1951 and aside from 4 years over that time has run every year.
The spectacle is outstanding, last weekends meeting at manfeild saw one 7 thousand second win and one 3 thousandths of a second, in the rain too.
The meeting is in Wanganui on Boxing Day

Whose a regular, whose going for the first time and whose been before here folks?

I'll be there it'll be my 58th Cemetery Circuit event

12-15-2023, 12:42 AM
I went to a couple of these in the early 50's, as a kid i might add 928

GregT
12-16-2023, 04:02 AM
From the SI it's a trek I've only done once. No one wants to travel on Xmas day so it was get there early and Xmas dinner in a pub with a lot of other SIslanders. Several nights in a scruffy motel then a ferry crossing day after boxing day where nearly everyone incl the crew were hungover.
Warned at riders briefing that the doc in charge of A&E at the local hospital was not a fan of motorcycle racing and it would be wise to stay out of his reach.
The racing was OK. Usual street circuit plusses and minuses. Thought we had a chance of winning F3 but the rider developed arm pump. He'd never had to use the brakes so hard or often - and a poor choice of mastercylinder size (his) stuffed him. While leading.
Oh well i'd built the winning engine anyway - Tony McMurdo's 500 Kawasaki. Changed M/c size once home - my choice - and he was never outbraked again.

jellywrestler
12-16-2023, 07:46 AM
the meeting is livestreamed too, if anyone wants a link please ask

bry3500
12-26-2023, 12:40 AM
I grew up in Whaganui, vivid memories of watching Hugh Anderson, Jim Redman and Ginger Molloy..

jellywrestler
12-29-2023, 08:03 AM
I grew up in Whaganui, vivid memories of watching Hugh Anderson, Jim Redman and Ginger Molloy..

Redman raced at Wanganui but not the Cemetery Circuit, hugh anderson tngled up with a back marker that day and was knocked out in practice, shame as it would have been a treat to see the two battel it out.

bry3500
12-31-2023, 08:17 AM
Redman raced at Wanganui but not the Cemetery Circuit, hugh anderson tngled up with a back marker that day and was knocked out in practice, shame as it would have been a treat to see the two battel it out.

Ah yes! That must have been the Moutoa Gardens circuit

jellywrestler
01-01-2024, 07:22 AM
Ah yes! That must have been the Moutoa Gardens circuit

yip