PDA

View Full Version : Wilco racing team

woody
09-29-2011, 08:41 AM
This team was racing out of Chch during the mid 60s. Anyone know anything about this team.

David McKinney
09-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Ned Wilco was involved, as were - I think - both Collins brothers, Warner and Clyde. There was also Dennis Stanton, who - it can now be revealed - was the same as Ned Wilco...

Jizim
10-03-2011, 11:39 PM
This team was racing out of Chch during the mid 60s. Anyone know anything about this team.

Wow.... There is a Team that is superbly run by Rotorua's Lindsay Willis for his son Brett who has been racing for a number of decades.....cars include self built Sports Sedans, Tranzams, Trans-Am (which Brett did a season in the USA), to currently running a beautiful Formula 5000. Under the same banner of Wilco Racing I believe. These guys are a true home made racing family with a no nonsense approach to their favourite pastime and epitomise the raw natural New Zealand way of doing things with absolute skill and dedication. And you will see them at every race track including Philip Island in Australia or where the F5000 happen to be racing. Go and make your self known to them, they are great people and you never know...you may even get one of mum Jills scones with a cup of tea. I did. To the original question...I doubt if we are talking the same team but believe me these are NZ's finest. Regards, Tony Rutherford.

GeebeeNZ
10-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks for that Tony, I believe he is the same Lyndsay Willis who owns the Caterpillar Experience on the way into Rotorua. Its worth a look even if you are not into a collection of bulldozers.Its far more than that. www.caterpillarexperience.co.nz should find it.

pallmall
10-04-2011, 08:25 AM
http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?159-Rebirth-Of-A-Classic

Paul Kirk
01-15-2012, 06:16 AM
Ned Wilco was involved, as were - I think - both Collins brothers, Warner and Clyde. There was also Dennis Stanton, who - it can now be revealed - was the same as Ned Wilco...

Yep, Ned Wilco was actually Denis Stanton, as you said, and I seem to remember his parents didn't want him to race cars and would cut him out of their will if he did and that's why he couldn't use his real name.
PK.

jim short
01-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Yes Tony is correct a Rotorua family very involved in the racing .Brett now driving a 5000 and doing real well.his dad is a down to earth man .none of this bullshit we keep reading about {thats not the correct ashtray in that car!!!} rule such and such says this !!!,How did we cope before these teenagers got involved i think there mates are running the country dont smack your child when he drove your classic car through the side of the house.ect We talk about the good old days But the smart young ones will never understand car v car is what it is all about,sadly thesr young ones are no longer young ones and feel they must leave there mark and moterracing will never be the same ,imagine a Healy with a chev v8!!! a ferrari with a chev v8 and how could you possibly put a chev v8 into a chev or willies coupe God forbid!!!

David McKinney
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Yep, Ned Wilco was actually Denis Stanton, as you said, and I seem to remember his parents didn't want him to race cars and would cut him out of their will if he did and that's why he couldn't use his real name.
PK.
Memories of the Bible Lady in the Square.....

Kwaussie
01-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Memories of the Bible Lady in the Square.....
When she stood in front of the Christchurch Cathedral I often thought - yes she has the English church behind her.