PDA

View Full Version : The Race Replica Debate

Pages : 1 [2]

Powder
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Brian..THANK YOU for a great post...

Brian probably won't hear you.
As I tried to explain at the top of my post, Brian's letter was posted on another forum back in 2008.
I just tracked it down, based on the 'heads-up' from Custaxie50, and copied it here.
I've gone back and italicized the text. Sorry for the confusion.:)

Malcolm.

CUSTAXIE50
01-11-2012, 09:48 AM
sit down- think why did custaxie50 say that to me-think about it.shit its what i put up first.NOW look at this this way i had the real custaxie first, that was made in 1966-not some look a like car.they say going first is best, its not the first lap its the last one that counts. thanks for your first in put about where the car is-all the best to you- but i think your mate and you ,do not know the new owner at all- if you did you would have put this up by now.ps its called CUSTAXIE II.

jim short
01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow was Ted deaf or not?/me and my mate used to go up to his place quite a bit we had ford ten spec sports cars we drove petrol takers for standard vacumn{mobil} he had this two tone 39 coupe at one stage fitted 8 amull?carbs then he was buildig a speciall with 2 lawrence?? starter motors of a flying boat i thinkover 50yrs. ago but my best mem. was ostridge road when he broke the record he said i left in 2nd all the way and just reved it..i often what it went to certanly a clever man

CUSTAXIE50
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM
ALL THE POWER TO YOU, ALL THAT YOU HAVE PUT UP YOU GOT FROM THE HAMB OVER THE NET,ITS A GREAT STORY THAT BRIAN PUT UP ABOUT THE CUSTAXIE.I HAVE TALKED TO BRIAN NORTH USA OVER THE NET ABOUT THE CUSTAXIE,I ASKED HIM WHAT DIFF WAS IN THE CAR.-I KNOW ROBBIE ONLY TO TALK TO BECAUSE OF THE CUSTAXIE ,AND I HAVE FIND HIM ALLSO TO BE A TOP MAN WHO GIVES HIS TIME TO TALK TO YOU ,AS I SAID A TOP MAN FROM THE OLD SCHOOL.

Kwaussie
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
You are correct about Robbie - Top Man.
If you are talking to him ask about when Alan Moffat showed him how to fix the rear suspension on his Lotus Cortina.
Great story!

CUSTAXIE50
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
come on kwaussie dont be like that,come on tell your story about robbie and alan moffat ,and tell nz about ourself get on the thread have your say, have some fun have a laugh.

bry3500
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Brian probably won't hear you.
As I tried to explain at the top of my post, Brian's letter was posted on another forum back in 2008.
I just tracked it down, based on the 'heads-up' from Custaxie50, and copied it here.
I've gone back and italicized the text. Sorry for the confusion.:)

Malcolm.

Ah yes.. should of said thank you Malcolm for a great post :)

CUSTAXIE50
01-11-2012, 01:56 PM
with great respect to you rod,why do you say a long with others out there it was rebuilt. rebuilt out of what the old car had long been gone.what they did was build a new car, all new parts to look like the old car.as i said before i started, great respect for you rod dont get off your bike this time, have some respect for others allso out here--all the best CUSTAXIE50.

Steve Holmes
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
OK, I want this thread to stay on-topic from now on. I've messaged CUSTAXIE50 about some of his posts, I want everyone to quit berating him, and likewise, CUSTAXIE50 stop berating others. This is a thread about Replica's, nothing more.

CUSTAXIE50
01-11-2012, 09:47 PM
i understand steve,lets all-respect the roaring season because if it was not for steve putting his time into this ,we would not have it.

105angria
01-11-2012, 11:15 PM
THe fantastic work that Wal Will is doing with the McBegg should offer plenty to discuss ,was the car crashed before it was broken ,did it go into an OSCA Viva , how did he come into the parts he did get,this is a classic example of the sort of car that should be reinstated, replicated,and will give us all a massive thrill when it runs,

Russ Cunningham
01-12-2012, 06:18 AM
may be but never drove at 120 mph with a trailer!!!!

MAYBE YOU WERE NOT CAPABLE OF DOING SO!

jim short
01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
DONT SEEM TO REMEMBER FANGIO HAVING TO DO SOMETHING SO STUPID but then motorsport has always had BIG SHOWOFFS

bry3500
01-12-2012, 08:17 AM
THe fantastic work that Wal Will is doing with the McBegg should offer plenty to discuss ,was the car crashed before it was broken ,did it go into an OSCA Viva , how did he come into the parts he did get,this is a classic example of the sort of car that should be reinstated, replicated,and will give us all a massive thrill when it runs,
I'm also loving the McBegg Thread... Looking at Jenks list , I still can't decide : Resurrection? Replica??.. whatever it is, it's a fantastic addition to the Historic Scene, worth a trip across the Tasman just to see it running!

Russ Cunningham
01-13-2012, 11:59 PM
DONT SEEM TO REMEMBER FANGIO HAVING TO DO SOMETHING SO STUPID but then motorsport has always had BIG SHOWOFFS

NO! FANGIO TOWED HIS TRAILER AT 140MPH.

pallmall
01-14-2012, 04:15 AM
Russ, you need to get your computer fixed, the Caps Lock appears to be stuck.
Posting in capitals is considered shouting.
Thanks.

woody
01-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Russ, Is your hearing going ?????????????????

Russ Cunningham
01-14-2012, 08:07 AM
SORRY! WHAT DID YOU SAY WOODY?

Russ Cunningham
01-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Russ, you need to get your computer fixed, the Caps Lock appears to be stuck.
Posting in capitals is considered shouting.
Thanks.

Jeez Pallmall! Using a computer is challenge enough but computer etiquette? CARRYING THINGS A LITTLE TOOOOOOO FAR!

Wal Will
01-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm going to put my big toe into this.
I really think that 'The Jenks Interpretation' is very solid.
Funny thing was that back in the day, one didn't even think chassis/model numbers, or what might be 40 or 50 years down the track. It wasn't until I saw a very nice Devlin (?) that was bought out here from America a few years back, and asked the owner how many were built. He said (I think) 13. I then asked how many had survived and he said "The whole 23 of them".
After that I seemed to hear more and more of the 'Rip off/scams that had been pulled. The value of these 'Historic' cars being the motivation.

I will put onto the McBegg thread a photo of the collection of parts accumulated (that as far as I can assertain are genuine off the McBegg). I haven't been able to use them all, but I've used what is servicable, and the rest will stay preserved as part of the package. Personally think it woulld fit into T.J.I. on the edges of resurection and recreation - but I don't care much at the moment just as I didn't care 'back then' . I am totally engrossed in the project which I see is to present another car for people to see in the Begg chain. I most probably will be open to accusation (and guilty of) 'Guilding The Lilly' a bit, but it is/was a car that I was connected to on several levels.
I think I should probably give it to a Movie Art Department and have them give it some 'Patina' (while I look away), but with luck it will become well used and gather its own.

Wal Will
01-14-2012, 09:18 AM
BRY3500, where did that McBegg photo come from? Are there more hiding out there?

105angria
01-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Another great race replica fantasy creation

bry3500
01-17-2012, 08:09 AM
BRY3500, where did that McBegg photo come from? Are there more hiding out there?
Came from Laurence Brownlies website Wal...I added the tint :)
http://www.laurencebrownlie.com/
re pics..I'm hunting!!

Wal Will
01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
It was your tinting that threw me. After I posted that reply I realised it was the press photo from the record attempt. Very clever.

Oldfart
01-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Another great race replica fantasy creation

Or more a 'retrospective special"?

bry3500
01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
It was your tinting that threw me. After I posted that reply I realised it was the press photo from the record attempt. Very clever.
wonder if Laurence has ever considered doing a painting ?...
Awesome job you are doing by the way..can't wait to see the end result

Wal Will
01-19-2012, 12:20 PM
A bit more thought provocation for the debate.
The trouble with 'Race Cars' at the professional level back in the 60's were that they were constantly being developed and changed. I have mentioned on the McBegg thread the history of the M1B chassis that finished up in that car - apart from the last 2 races it was changed for every meeting.
A few years ago I was asked to identify/confirm that a car found in Venezuela was the remains of the car that came to be known as the Cooper Oldsmobile, but more commonly know as the Zerex special.
Without a doubt in my mind it was that car.
Anybody who knows the history of that chassis will know the changes it went through from its begining as a Cooper F1 car to its final stage with Bruce McLaren (and on until it ended in a sad state of repair in South America).
On a forum such as this I suggested that if 'YOU' were given it, to what stage of its life would you restore it to. The concept bought a large response and some heated debate. Most Americans would want to see it as the Penske Single Seat 'Zerex', but almost everyone else had a different preference.
While in the hands of McLaren Racing it never raced in the same state twice. Every meeting it was 'developed' further.
If it were mine I would most probably want to take it to the last race we ran it at Brands Hatch, because that was the last stage of 'our' development. To satisfy everyone you would have to build many cars.

CUSTAXIE50
02-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Has the new owner had the custaxie out on the track or is it still in the shed.

Russ Cunningham
02-17-2012, 06:52 AM
Has the new owner had the custaxie out on the track or is it still in the shed.

I have it on good authority that he only bought it to crush it!

CUSTAXIE50
02-17-2012, 08:08 AM
so the one that is still down the back in the shed is the only one now--russ.

rogered
02-17-2012, 08:31 AM
:o;)
I have it on good authority that he only bought it to crush it!

bry3500
07-04-2012, 02:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjBal4nIpB4

bry3500
07-04-2012, 02:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkKOqzuSbx4