PDA

View Full Version : FNG

Sorekiwi
11-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Hello all,

I was pointed at this site tonight, and instead of sleeping I've been browsing the wonderful stories from days gone by.

I'm an expat kiwi thats been living in the US since 1994. I've been playing with (ie working on) racing cars since about 1987, Formula Ford and Formula Brabham in NZ, Formula Ford, Formula Renault and Opel Lotus in Europe, and Formula Atlantic, Indycar and Indy Lights in the US.

I used to spend the summers overseas and come home for the NZ Summer Series, but things got busy up here and I havent been racing downunder since the 1994/95 Season.

That'll do for my introduction, I've got reading to do!!

Steve Holmes
11-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Hey f#&*in' New Guy! Welcome to the site! Its great to have you here. Sounds like you've got a few stories to share. Will be looking forward to your contributions.

Sorekiwi
11-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Thank you Steve, I hope I can contribute a little.

My racing era is a little more modern than a lot of what I have seen on this site, but a lot of the names are very familiar.

I worked for Steve Cameron's operation for 6 years, and actually ran his nephew Dane (son of Rick Cameron, and a very talented up and coming driver) in Atlantic in 2008.

I'm the only Kiwi racecar mechanic in the world that hasnt worked for George (Dave) McMillan, but have crossed paths with him often.

In 1996 Dave was still running Ralt America, and I was working for the Camerons at Lynx Racing. From somewhere we had managed to obtain a couple of crates of Lion Red (big bottles!!). We were running Patrick Carpentier and scored 8 poles that year. Every time we won the pole we would open a bottle of Lion Red, pass it around and leave the empty bottle on the tailgate of Daves truck.

I'm not sure that Dave ever put two and two together, but Keith Beck who was working for him sure did. I think by the end of the year we felt bad enough about it that we started to let Keith have a taste of "mothers milk" as well!

Steve Holmes
11-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Sounds like you'll be well suited to the Yards and Yarns thread!