PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Group A Commodore NZ History / Bowkett / Billington / Barrow

SPS
11-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi to all on this great site.Always lots of great threads to read.This is my first post as I only joined up a few weeks back.I am currently in the process restoring a Group A commodore that has had a long history in NZ in the group A days.I have done a large amount of research on the car since I purchased it back in 2006.I have not had much success with finding any photos of it during its racing life.Any other info would also be greatly appricated.A brief History on the car is as follows.
Built Brand new by Roadways Racing Services [RW02] in 1985 for the new group A era for Grahame Bowkett and Wayne Wilkinson as a VK. Backing came from Sleepyhead Beds and ran the 4 round Australian Endurance Championship in 85 before be bought to NZ for the NM series and NZTCC which it ran in the 85/86 season winning the Championship with Bowkett.Wilkinson Crashed the Car in Practice at Puke NM meeting damaging it badly in the front.The car was Sold to John Billington and Chris Castle and ran the following year.The car ran the Sandown 500 with Billington and Castle and WTCC round at Bathurst with Billington and Grahame Crosby in 1987 as a VK with DFC backing.In 1988 Billington updated the car to a VL with Perkins engine and other go fast bits[drive train etc] [Pink white & purple VL] In 1990/91 Dave Barrow ran the car in Group A and Sport Sedans.After this the car went to Alan Mason in Auckland then sold to Lindsay Routham in Nelson.It ran a few races in the Mainland endurance series then went to Grahame Johnson in Timaru who ran it in Sport Saloons.In the late 90s the car was purchase by Steve Ross in Dunedin.From what I understand the car went back to Auckland to Wayne Baker?? before be purchased back by Steve Ross.I purchased the car from Steve in 2006.This car has a long racing History in NZ motorsport and any further info,Photos,Articles would be greatly appicated.I intent to race the car when restored at Historic meeting in NZ and Australia.For now it is a slow process with time being an issue.Wife,3 young Kids,House renos and Business all slowing the Process but I will get there.It will just take a bit longer.
Feel free to contact me.
Regards
Warren Davis

Steve Holmes
11-26-2011, 06:05 AM
Great to see you finally posting on here about this car Warren. I have a couple of photos of your car, will scan and post them on here. Have you checked through Nigel Watts photo thread? I'm sure there are photos of your car in there. http://www.theroaringseason.com/showthread.php?157-Images-from-my-past

Powder
11-26-2011, 07:03 AM
Here's a shot from the October '87 Nissan Mobil 500.

Powder
11-26-2011, 07:30 AM
... and here's some more info from a Sunday Times Newspaper special supplement promoting the Jan '87 race.

rogered
11-26-2011, 07:37 AM
the bottom photo is interesting
what was the story with that damage?

Powder
11-26-2011, 08:19 AM
the bottom photo is interesting
what was the story with that damage?

The Jan'87 Sunday Times Supplement has no more info on the photo, but from the 1986 Nissan Mobil Yearbook.
"Wellington .... Bowkett gets away cleanly, immediately slotting into 8th place, right behind Hulme. But that's about as far as it goes. Into the second lap he crashes heavily going into the main straight, smashes the suspension beyond the realms of a repair today and simply limps the car back to the pits to retire."

"Pukekohe.... a repeat of the disastrous Wellington experience is just around the corner - around Rothmans, that is. Wilkinson says, "There was a big bang and she just took off - dead straight." From the entry to the corner the car spears straight off into a clay bank, writing off the left-front and folding the car back to the passenger compartment. There's so much damage there's no telling what it was that let go. ..."

I think it's safe to assume the photo is from the '86 Wellington race.

Malcolm.

SPS
11-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi Malcolm

Thanks for the photos. Do you have any in VL trim.The the Bowkett pic will be from Wellington in Jan 86.the next weekend was the last weekend for the Sleeyhead car before be sold to Billington and Castle.The article note a few gearbox problems.Billington latter updated to a Getrag .

Regards
Warren

Powder
11-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the photos. Do you have any in VL trim.

From NZ Motoring News 18 Nov 88:

Promo 500 at Pukekohe. Photo credit Greg Olesen.

Nissan Mobil 500 at Wellington.

From Road, Race & Rally newsletter, 26 May 89:

By October '89 the price was $40k and by August '90 it was down to $35k.

Mr Billington is a high profile lawyer here in NZ (Google John Billington QC) and should be easy to contact. Hopefully he won't send you a bill for his time :)

Malcolm.

Steve Holmes
11-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Here it is at Manfeild (I think), prior to its Group A updates.

Here is an awful shot of it in VL trim with white/pink/purple colour scheme. Certainly an aquired taste that one!

Powder
11-27-2011, 04:05 AM
... white/pink/purple colour scheme. Certainly an aquired taste that one!

It looks like Dave Barrow wasn't too keen on the colours. This shot is from the 1991 Speedsport Annual's report on the 1990 Nissan Mobil 500.

SPS
11-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Hi Steve.
The photo of the Sleephead car is from Manfield.This was the first NZ outing for the car only 2 weeks after doing 1000kms at Bathurst.It only ran at Manfield twice.This being the 20/10/85 in the first round of the B&H series being a 2 hour race which they Qual 6th and finished 2nd in the race.The next time it race was in Jan 86 with the fill 86 upgrades including engine.
Im guessing the Billington shot is the 88/89 season.
Keep the info coming.

Regards Warren

SPS
11-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks Malcolm
Keep the pics coming.The Barrow car is at Wellington in 1990.I remember Barrow having the car for sale at the end of the season for about $25000 and it took a long time to sell.Cheap now if only be new then what we know now.I have been intouch with John Billington a few times and he has been very helpful.Anything else you have would be greatly appicated.

Regards
Warren

seaqnmac27
11-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Now the Sleepyhead VK, didn't it have to change one of the decals from Go to bed with sleepyhead over here in oz be3cause it was just too suggestive?

Powder
11-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I guess this is also from the 1990 Wellington Steet Race. You'd better check the head gaskets when you restore the car :)

SPS
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Now the Sleepyhead VK, didn't it have to change one of the decals from Go to bed with sleepyhead over here in oz be3cause it was just too suggestive?
I do recall sonmething about that.

SPS
11-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I guess this is also from the 1990 Wellington Steet Race. You'd better check the head gaskets when you restore the car :)

Thanks Malcolm
Did you take these pics.As for the head Gasket that wont be a problem as it all coming well and truely apart.Most componets are completed with the bodyshell being the major with lots of new parts.Will post some photos in the new year

Regards
Warren

Powder
11-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks Malcolm
Did you take these pics.

The first photo (DFC sponsorship) was taken by my father. The black & white photos are credited. The shots from 1990 didn't have photo credits.
It could be worth contacting Graham Blow or Euan Cameron (both from www.sportpromedia.com) or Geoff Ridder (MotorsPortraits) as they were photographing at the time your car was being raced and are still in business today.

Malcolm

SPS
11-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Hi Malcolm

I have sent these guys emails tonight.Hopefully they will have a few shots.

Regards
Warren

PhotoSmith
12-01-2011, 01:41 AM
Hi Warren,

Here's one I found from the '86 wellington street race - looks like practice day.

Cheers
Martin Smith.

SPS
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi Martin

Good to here from you.Thanks for the Picture.Got anymore.Are you still taking photos?The car on the left is mine.The other was Grices Roadways car which was co driven by Grahame Cameron.It had a black lower section with Yokohama signage which was one of Grices sponsors

Regards
Warren

TonyG
12-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Interesting shots. I have some here that I will scan and post on Weds night when I have finished putting my desktop PC back together.
They are a little water damaged around the edges but I should be able to fix them up ok.
1) Is the Sleepyhead car through the esses at Puke in Benson and Hedges trim as per Steves photo but minus the Go To Bed on the side.
2) The Castle/Billington AC Delco scheme coming through the start of the esses at Puke.
3) I also have a couple of shots of another with Crosby/Wilkinson across the windscreen and Wang sponsorship. Is this the same car ?

Interesting you mention the black lower colouring on the Grice car. I have a shot of it in the pits at Puke with black on the lower side panels but the front panel is all red and the grill is silver. Maybe it was smashed in Wellinton and was not finished on the Friday when I took the shot.

TonyG
12-05-2011, 12:33 PM
The Castle Billington shot I have is the same car in the newspaper clipping above about a trouble free series sought by drivers.

TonyG
12-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Unfortunately not real good photos, quite faded and some quite water damaged.
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/Scanned%20Images/img004-1.jpg

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/Scanned%20Images/img003-1.jpg

I tried to crop it a bit but made it worse
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/Scanned%20Images/img022-1.jpg

This is the Wang sponsored car
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/Scanned%20Images/img005-1.jpg

http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/Scanned%20Images/img007-1.jpg

SPS
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi Tony

Thanks for you photos.The first will be 17 11 85 B&H 6 hour at Puke as there are no spoiler.Next shoot Billington/Caslte will be 16 11 86 B&H 6 hour also Finishing 4th .Most likely the first Puke outing with there new car.Last is Croz and Wilkinson. NM500 at Puke 2 2 87 .This car is the HDT Built car that Ray Smith had built in Gold AC&B colours before Croz purchased it and ran in the ATTC in 86.This car is restored and currently in the Bathurst Museam.
Tony I noted that your profile is on the GC .The car is there also.

Regards
Warren

TonyG
12-08-2011, 10:27 PM
HI Warren I had noticed that you were on the Coast in your profile. Nice to see another enthusiast here on the Coast.
I wondered if the Wang car was the ex Coin and Bullion car as I new Ross and Jimmy Stone had dealings with both cars (same car as it turns out).
Regards
Tony

Steve Holmes
12-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Crosby actually raced the ex Smith/Hulme car briefly in its original gold and black colours in one or two early ATCC races, before the Bob Jane T-Marts backing arrived, with the colour change. I asked Croz once if the Bob Jane sponsorship was a lucrative one for him, assuming it would have been given the car was decked out in it. Turns out there was no money involved, just free tyres. How times have changed!

TonyG
12-22-2011, 09:14 PM
I always remember Croz in incar footage from either Calder or Adelaide and he was explaining about all the labels for everything on the dash. They asked about the one for G/Box and he replied, "oh thats the Glove Box"

PhotoSmith
02-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi Martin

Good to here from you.Thanks for the Picture.Got anymore.Are you still taking photos?The car on the left is mine.The other was Grices Roadways car which was co driven by Grahame Cameron.It had a black lower section with Yokohama signage which was one of Grices sponsors

Regards
Warren

Hi Warren,

Recently found these 2 photos - Pukekohe (using the long track) and Bayaprk rounds of the B+H series 1986 (?)

Cheers
MS

SPS
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi Martin
Thanks. Both shots are B&H series but October 85.Car got upgrades in January 86 including Spoilers.It only ran once at Puke on GP curcuit in B&H 6 hour. Not sure where it Finished.At Baypark it Finished 3rd.Need to find some more time in my life to get on with the resto after looking at all the old Group A cars etc running at Hampton Downs the last few weeks.They need a Commodore in there to spice things up a bit. Planning on racing the car there in the next couple of years. Looked like a great event again.
Regards
Warren
Warren

Marty
02-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Hi Warren,

The Bowkett car was maintained by "Rapid" Ron Bartel. I'm pretty sure he went to Roadways when it was getting built.
I think that Rapid is still in Auckland and wouldn't be hard to find.

Every time I think of this car I can remember a Pukekohe race, early 86? it had fuel pouring out the boot floor on the warm up lap. Maybe the first case of Ram filling ?

Marty

stirlingmac
02-02-2012, 09:50 PM
If I remember correctly, he fuel spill was caused by the team chilling the fuel to fit more in the tank but it started expanding faster than expected...

Lurker
02-03-2012, 09:13 AM
If I remember correctly, he fuel spill was caused by the team chilling the fuel to fit more in the tank but it started expanding faster than expected...

That is correct, they chilled the fuel with liquid nitrogen to decrease the effective volume and allow more fuel to be put in the tank as it would been just enough to save one pit stop as the final stop only required a small amount of fuel. Unfortunately the start was delayed for reasons I cannot remember but it was long enough for the fuel to warm up and expand the tank and break the metal straps that secured the tank. Then it happened as Marty explained it

SPS
02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Hi Marty
Hope things are good with you.Im sure you have lots you can add to some of the threads.Do you have any contact details for Ron Bartel?.Do you know him?.I spoke to Bowkett a few years back and he made mention to 'Rapid' Bartel.I think he did work for Roadways at some point.Also the fuel issue would have most likely been at athe B&H 6hour in 85 as the previous photo shows and the other races at Puke where the January 86 sprint race NZTCC and the car was crashed in Practice for the Nissan Mobil meeting in early 86.
The Bowkett car was maintained by "Rapid" Ron Bartel. I'm pretty sure he went to Roadways when it was getting built.
I think that Rapid is still in Auckland and wouldn't be hard to find.

Every time I think of this car I can remember a Pukekohe race, early 86? it had fuel pouring out the boot floor on the warm up lap. Maybe the first case of Ram filling ?

Marty[/QUOTE]

Steve Holmes
02-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Hi Martin
Thanks. Both shots are B&H series but October 85.Car got upgrades in January 86 including Spoilers.It only ran once at Puke on GP curcuit in B&H 6 hour. Not sure where it Finished.At Baypark it Finished 3rd.Need to find some more time in my life to get on with the resto after looking at all the old Group A cars etc running at Hampton Downs the last few weeks.They need a Commodore in there to spice things up a bit. Planning on racing the car there in the next couple of years. Looked like a great event again.
Regards
Warren
Warren

I'm glad you were able to fill in the gaps here. This one had me scratching my head. I knew the Johnson Mustang raced in NZ in the black JPS colours in Jan 1986, and I knew it struck homologation issues and couldn't race in NZ in Jan 1985, so figured this must have been taken at some point in between.

SPS
02-12-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm glad you were able to fill in the gaps here. This one had me scratching my head. I knew the Johnson Mustang raced in NZ in the black JPS colours in Jan 1986, and I knew it struck homologation issues and couldn't race in NZ in Jan 1985, so figured this must have been taken at some point in between.

Hi Steve

NC ran with DJ in B&H race in Oct/Nov 85 in Green John Andrew Ford Mustang and Jan 86 Nissan Mobil races in same car in Black JPS colours.
Not sure about the Homolagation issues in early 85.{first i have heard of that]Was the beginning of Group A in NZ & OZ so most likely struck some Nazi at this point.Car had run in OZ in some events in 84 at end of Group C.

PhotoSmith
02-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi Warren / Steve

DJ's Mustang at Wellington in Jan 1986 - black on the outside - Green on the Inside.

SPS
02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks Martin
I think this is the car Robbie ended up with.Was restored by Ken Hopper a few years back[2007/2008?]and is in Sydney still for sale now at about $150K.Not silly money. I,d be happy to have it parked in my Shed.

Mike Price
02-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Thought you might find these of interest.
I went to Manfeild to see this meeting in '86 as an 8 year old. I took some photos too but have to find where I put them.
The autographs are from - Denny Hulme , Robbie Francevic, David Oxton, John Morton, Charlie O'Brien , Trevor crowe, Graeme Bowkett and Graeme Crosby.

peterwgpa
04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Some Paper work that may be useful for COD purposes

SPS
02-22-2019, 11:45 AM

Andrew Metford
02-24-2019, 03:39 AM

Very nice!!! Got some more and bigger pics? Another one from the glory days back from the wall. Well done SPS

PS - "SPS" - are you a Ducati man?

TonyG
03-02-2019, 01:40 AM
Very Nice !