PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gethin RIP

seaqnmac27
12-05-2011, 11:41 PM
For those who were unaware, former Tasman F5000 winnner and winner of the 1971 Italian Grand Prix, Peter Gethin passed away yesterday after a long illness, he was 71.

Michael Clark
12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
He was a funny little guy as well as a top driver.

Check youtube for the 1971 Italian GP - the last one before the hated chicances - bloody fantastic

Peter Rabbit was also the first man to win a championship in an open-wheeler McLaren..so i suppose that would make him the first double champion in McLaren open-wheelers.

RIP PG

Kwaussie
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
An overnight post on the F5000 Racing Cars Facebook page:

Cher Amis

Très touche par la disparition de ce Grand Pilote

J ai été très proche de Peter nous avons passe 3 ans ensemble presque tous les week end avec le Team VDS en F.5000 de 1974 a 1976 Europe et usa .

De grande bagarre chaque week end pour gagne , il a été un adversaire hooo combien grand Gentleman dans la vie et dans la course

J ai toujours penser a lui depuis ce temps grâce a tout les bons moments passe ensemble dans la vie de la course mais aussi dans la vie privée.

Je n oublierais jamais le fou rire mais les pleurs après……..quand nous avons du aller dire la vérité a Rudy VDS,,,,,,,,,,,avoir perdu une voiture de location emporte par la mer en jouant sur la plage d Invercargill NZ lors de la Tasman….quel grand moment nous avons eux ensemble..

Une grande perte pour tous ..

Teddy Pilette

(Very touched by the loss of this great driver

I have been very close to Peter spending 3 years together almost every weekend with Team VDS F.5000 in the 1974 to 1976 Europe and the United States.

Big fight for wins every weekend, he was a great opponent and Gentleman in life and in racing.

I always think of him since then because of all the good times spent together in racing but also in private life.

No I never forget the laughter, but after the tears ... ... .. when we had to go and tell the truth Rudy VDS,,,,,,,,,,, losing a rental car wins by playing on the sea the beach of Invercargill NZ in the Tasman .... what a great time we have them all ..

A great loss to all ..)

kiwi285
12-07-2011, 12:11 AM
A great F5000 pilot and some great wins in the M10's for McLaren. Seeing their ages reminds us how long ago it was as we watched these people first time around. RIP PG

Murray Maunder
12-07-2011, 03:41 AM
I think he was the first top flight driver to emerge through F5000. A very dominant figure in the class with the Church Farm Racing McLaren M10B. Is this car resident in NZ awaiting restoration IIRC? Bruce had a big part in his career as a virtual works entry in F5000 and he filled in for Bruce after his untimely death in 1970. RIP