PDA

View Full Version : GTX Series - Falcon XAGTs

Haga
12-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Hi

I am an owner of a Falcon XAGT sedan, over 20 years. Over my time of ownership I have seen photos of XAGTs racing here in NZ.

When I read the article in Aust Muscle Car magazine a few years ago I realized that they played a larger role in NZ motorsport than I thought. Some of the photos in the article were taken by Lindsay Ross and I purchased some prints off him.

The other day I “stumbled” upon this forum and read the thread on the Crichton Monaro and came across the first colour photos I had seen…awesome!!

Now this has got me interested in the history of XAGTs racing here and I have a million questions…hopefully the “historians” on here can answer some of them? Right Oh…here we go:

Does anyone have more colour photos of these cars?

What colour was the Wayne Murdoch GT?

Why the change from GTHO P3s to XA? The HO would have been a better/faster race car….was it to do with marketing/price?

Why did they not race the XBGT? The early XBs ran same engine combo as XA but with the advantage of discbrake rear end. I have seen a photo of Jim Richards towing his XA on a trailer behind a XBGT!

Why race the sedan versus the coupe? I gather it was due to the easier availability buy a sedan “off the shelf”compared to the coupe? I noted in the AMC article there was a pic of a lime glaze coupe racing.

What modification were allowed? I see in some pics XA running the XY 5 slots and later shots with mag wheels. Were motor upgrades permitted?

Safety: I gather a harness was installed….how did they fit that?

I know the main “steerers” of XAs were Richards, Francevic and Murdoch. Was there others? I see the Fowler cars XA in Crichton Monaro thread..who was that?

What happened to the cars at the end of there racing career? Do any survive? I have seen the Richards and Francevic P3s so if they survived maybe some of these have too.

Sorry about all number of questions….I have more thou!!

Cheers

Wayne

Jac Mac
12-13-2011, 06:49 AM
Hi

I am an owner of a Falcon XAGT sedan, over 20 years. Over my time of ownership I have seen photos of XAGTs racing here in NZ.

When I read the article in Aust Muscle Car magazine a few years ago I realized that they played a larger role in NZ motorsport than I thought. Some of the photos in the article were taken by Lindsay Ross and I purchased some prints off him.

The other day I “stumbled” upon this forum and read the thread on the Crichton Monaro and came across the first colour photos I had seen…awesome!!

Now this has got me interested in the history of XAGTs racing here and I have a million questions…hopefully the “historians” on here can answer some of them? Right Oh…here we go:

Does anyone have more colour photos of these cars?

What colour was the Wayne Murdoch GT?IIRC a dark gray/black colour, might even have had a bit of purple hue

Why the change from GTHO P3s to XA? The HO would have been a better/faster race car….was it to do with marketing/price?GTX series I think a minimum production number was in force which ruled out GTHO /E49 etc

Why did they not race the XBGT? The early XBs ran same engine combo as XA but with the advantage of discbrake rear end. I have seen a photo of Jim Richards towing his XA on a trailer behind a XBGT!

Why race the sedan versus the coupe? I gather it was due to the easier availability buy a sedan “off the shelf”compared to the coupe? I noted in the AMC article there was a pic of a lime glaze coupe racing. The numbers thing again IIRC, Lime Glaze car might have been Barry Lloyd from south canterbury.

What modification were allowed? I see in some pics XA running the XY 5 slots and later shots with mag wheels. Were motor upgrades permitted?Not much allowed in the motor other than balance & working with factory specs, hyd cam etc, they still had to run the Autolite 4300 carb which gave them some grief with cornering forces /float levels/power valve flooding etc

Safety: I gather a harness was installed….how did they fit that? I dont think full harness were in vogue then

I know the main “steerers” of XAs were Richards, Francevic and Murdoch. Was there others? I see the Fowler cars XA in Crichton Monaro thread..who was that?Tulloch, Rutherford ( Ron ), a few others might remember more.

What happened to the cars at the end of there racing career? Do any survive? I have seen the Richards and Francevic P3s so if they survived maybe some of these have too.Pretty sure Inky's did, others probably..

Sorry about all number of questions….I have more thou!!

Cheers

Wayne

Over the years Ive had a few GT XA's thru my w/shop with the odd mod underneath for straight exhausts etc that make you wonder about their past life...

Carlo
12-13-2011, 08:32 AM
John Christie still has the car that Inky Tulloch used. It is a one owner car that has been pretty much driven at weekends only.

Rod Grimwood
12-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Gary Bromley had a real quick XB (purple i think) and then a XC that was not as quick.

ged
12-22-2011, 03:49 AM
carlo is john christies xa yellow if so i think that is the only one ive seen with chrome bumper/door handles option could be wrong

TonyG
12-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Gary Bromley had a real quick XB (purple i think) and then a XC that was not as quick.

Yeah, I remember that one. It was a nice XB and went well too !

Steve Holmes
12-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Yeah, some great questions there Haga. I think the reason for the change from XY Phase IIIs to the XA GT was because of the minimum number of units built. I think the minimum build number changed for the 1973/74 season, hense the reason there were also no E49 Chargers racing. But I'm not sure why teams raced the 4 door instead of the 2 door hardtop. Afterall, Crichton ran a 2 door hardtop Monaro so its not like there was a rule that stated the cars must be 4 door models.

During the 1973/74, and 1974/75 seasons, modification restrictions were quite tight, hense the reason the cars ran with the original wheels. For the 1975/76 season, the rules were changed again, to allow the Camaros and L34 Toranas to race, and here quite a few more mods were allowed, which is why the cars racing in the GTX ran wider mag wheels.

It'd be worth giving Inky Tulloch a call about this. He raced an XA and then a Camaro when those were allowed.

Quite why the teams ran XAs and not XBs, again, Inky could answer that. I did read an article in Australian Muscle Car mag about the Falcon hardtop Group C car John Goss raced and won Bathurst with in 1974. He updated that car to an XB when the XB was released, but then reverted it back to an XA, citing that the XB was actually slightly heavier around the nose. I wonder if thats why the GTX teams ran the XA.

Haga
12-29-2011, 04:49 AM
Hi..back again!!

Jac Mac: Thanks for the answers, great to have someone who worked on the cars during the day

ged: The chrome/versus painted bumpers were a XBGT thing. XAs were chrome only

Steve: I will need to catch up with someone like Mr Tulloch to find out. My guess is that they only started racing the XAs in 73 so being kiwis we want to get our monies worth out of something therefore run it for as long as possible. The only advantage an XB would have would be disc brake rear end. Apart from the early XBs, the majority (not all) had lower spec engines and low spec gbox (not top loader) compared to big port 4v XA...so no real advantage to change other than marketing new shape.

Interesting about Goss's comments. XB weighed the sameish. I suspect JG was more interested in open wheel racing but the "taxis" helped pay the bills.

Russ Cunningham
01-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I recall doing a deal with Dexter Dunlop on the ex. Francevic XA in about 1975. It was metallic green at that stage and just another well used car. Don't remember where it went but I do remember having a XBGT that was one helluver car. Used to tow the race car trailer at over 120MPH. Manual/P/S. Both company cars. Prior to that I used a 71 XY Shaker that I traded on a Datsun 120Y SSS for $4,200.00.
An okay car but the XB was far better in all respects. Paraparaumu to central Wellington in 22 minutes.

John McKechnie
07-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Hi, Haga-I have a red XBGT-351 4 speed that was raced at sometime in in South Island, now sitting quietly in my garage,.Also I have Lime Glaze XA Coupe.I bought some parts off trade me from a guy in Christchurch.I sent him pix of the car as he thought it could have been his dads-yes it was Barry Lloyd.
He still has some black and whit pix of the car.May still have it saved somewhere. Also you can talk to people who race them.Only really need top loader when running over 400hp, same with the B/Wdiff..So its not really downspec for everyday use-unless you have a Mel Gibson day. Also 4 V was designed to run at 8k revs all day on oval circuit, not street circuits.. 2V is more efficient out of corners , thats why the Yanks love the Aussie Clevelands. 4V is a pain on the road down low. XBGT has it all over the earlier models as Russ says.

Steve Holmes
07-21-2012, 03:35 AM
John, is your XB a sedan or hardtop?

I wonder what happened to that Barry Lloyd car.

Steve Holmes
07-21-2012, 03:40 AM
Barry Lloyds XA GT, as taken by Bruce Thompson:

John McKechnie
07-21-2012, 05:56 AM
Hi Steve, yes , that is his car,same as the pix sent to me.The son didnt know what happened to it and was hoping mine was this. No. I am sure a reg check would show something. Did I forget to tell you about the XBGT Sedan-not Coupe this time.Previous owner fitted top loader to it for racing.Well, guess where its heading-yep, into the coupe.That is the one on wheels not the one on the trailer.When Dale was here yesterday showed him the three .Have got correct B/W for the car.Funny the Lime Glaze doe not seem as bright in this photo as on my Coupe, yet it is original colour.I know on the Superbirds they highlighted it emerald-on this its definitely black. I mean, who would repaint their car this colour 80s-90s, even now. Comparable colour to Nevs HQ 350?

Haga
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
There is a Lime Glaze/White InteriorXA GT coupe here in NI. It usually turns up at All Ford Days. Next time I see owner I will ask him if he knows history. Carjam does not show early plate nos for car.

Came across this photo a while back. Beleive it is Jim Richards (judging by door signage)? Any info?

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss152/hagaxagt/JimRichardsXAGTCoupe.jpg

John McKechnie
07-21-2012, 09:49 PM
That is a fantastic photo.I have never seen this one before.I always thought he went from sedan to XC Coupe sports sedan.WOW.Carjam the rego anyone?Is this track Baypark- judging by the yellow flowers

Steve Emson
07-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Photo of Jimmy in XA GT9630

John McKechnie
07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
Looks like the P and R machine is getting a love tap from behind.It looks like the red XA Coupe and the XA above are running bicycle wheels on the back, in comparison with todays cars. Great pix Steve -do you ever see Calvin these days-from 1975.?

Rascal
07-22-2012, 01:52 AM
with Further regard to Bryan thompsons Pic Of the lime green XA Falcon Coupe & other comments,

OLD MATE, Barry Lloyd, an Ashburton Earthmoving contractor, more often know as "BJ"; may have won the NZ GTX championship in 1978 with this car.
Race prepared by Timaru Guru, Wayne Murdoch, the car certainly figured well in all the points & placings in probably 2 seasons.

BJ, always the consistant driver , became a very much admired & liked, competitor.

Teretonga was his pick of the south island circuits ,where; the long front straight suited the legs of the falcon.

He had also Competed in the "villa maria 300" at Manfield, 1977 ? with this car, along with fellow ashburtonians , Rod Mclrea & Russ Haines [ X Robbie Franecievic Rx2 -capella coupe] at the same event.
Also at Races at Baypark & pukekoe on one or two ocassions during the GTX series.

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Have just contacted his son Paul to see if he has anything to add. Be great to keep this thread going with more information.

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 02:41 AM
I have some pix, having probs uploading-what is size limitation?

Oldfart
07-22-2012, 04:35 AM
PLEASE be very careful with Carjam info!
At previous work we CJ'd a car which we were offered, shown to have live reg so we bought it, prepped for sale and then took for a WOF, passed, but the reg had been cancelled 2 months before we did the check. CJ said "not our fault, tough luck".
Subsequently we checked another 2 vehicles, all OK'd but checked with LTSA and both had been cancelled a number of weeks prior.
They also said I had a vehicle with a huge amount owing. As it was somewhat older I checked, sure enough, their info said my $2500 car had in excess of $120 000 (yep one hundred and twenty thousand) owing. I got them to check, and they then discovered their info had transposed a digit, VIN number was actually for a B Train. Apology, yeah right! Lost sale.

Carlo
07-22-2012, 05:17 AM
BJ won the GTX championship during the 1978 season.

Steve Holmes
07-22-2012, 07:04 AM
There is a Lime Glaze/White InteriorXA GT coupe here in NI. It usually turns up at All Ford Days. Next time I see owner I will ask him if he knows history. Carjam does not show early plate nos for car.

Came across this photo a while back. Beleive it is Jim Richards (judging by door signage)? Any info?

Wow! Where have you been hiding this? Awesome pic, and one I've not seen before. You're right, this is indeed Jim Richards, and I'm 99.99% certain this photo was taken at Manfeild in February 1975. Rob Lester held a 70 lap endurance race in which JR put this Falcon on pole, and was the fastest car throughout, but was beaten to the finish by Inky Tulloch in an E-49 Charger. Tulloch was able to complete the full distance without having to stop for fuel, whereas JR had to pit the thirsty Falcon at least once.

The success of this race prompted Lester to get a Winter Endurance Series off the ground during the winter of 1975, with races held at Manfeild, Pukekohe and Bay Park. JR switched to co-driving a Z28 Camaro with Neville Crichton. I could be wrong, and would love to know for sure, but John Marslin raced an XA hardtop very similar the this one in the Winter Endurance Series. Is this the car Marslin raced?

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Holmes
07-22-2012, 07:06 AM

Absolute dynamite photo there Steve!

Steve Holmes
07-22-2012, 07:14 AM
With regard to Bryan thompsons Pic Of the lime green Coupe.
Barry Lloyd, an Ashburton Earthmoving contractor,who was More effeciantly know to his freinds as "BJ" , may have won the GTX championship on one occasion in one year with this car.
He had also Competed in the "villa maria 300" around 1975-76 also with the same car. Hi son may have more info to validate those results.

Later on , he went back to 770 or E38 Valiant Chargers which were cars he had previously driven in Production Classes & at the B&H 500. etc.

Post GTX days were taken up with driving Ford Telstars in a production class & later in A Mazda RX7 Series.
Foot note: as a younger man, He was an enthusiastic Competitor at the Waimate 50 Events in A MK 1 zephyr.

Thanks for that info. Would be nice to know if the Falcon hardtop survived.

Steve Holmes
07-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi Steve, yes , that is his car,same as the pix sent to me.The son didnt know what happened to it and was hoping mine was this. No. I am sure a reg check would show something. Did I forget to tell you about the XBGT Sedan-not Coupe this time.Previous owner fitted top loader to it for racing.Well, guess where its heading-yep, into the coupe.That is the one on wheels not the one on the trailer.When Dale was here yesterday showed him the three .Have got correct B/W for the car.Funny the Lime Glaze doe not seem as bright in this photo as on my Coupe, yet it is original colour.I know on the Superbirds they highlighted it emerald-on this its definitely black. I mean, who would repaint their car this colour 80s-90s, even now. Comparable colour to Nevs HQ 350?

Yeah you did forget to tell me about the XBGT John! Do you know anything about its race history? If you send me an email I can re-size any photos you want to post.

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 09:34 AM
With Richo driving he passed everything but the petrol pump..

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 09:49 AM
I am another one who would love to know the continued life of this XA Coupe after Richo. Dont want any more to end up like Nevs. Also the original racing RPO Coupes in AUS all 6 of them are gone, destroyed -no more. Ours hopefully have survived and need to be feted for that.
So , now we have 2 known racing XAGT Coupes- the Lime glaze, and the Richo Red. I also know Phil Schubert and Craig Pulmans were the real deal GT Coupes as well. In the early 90s I did the last race meeting at Baypark and there was a red Coupe there-Franks Tyres I think. Falcon Engineering at Hobsonville raced an orange one also.Dont know if they were GTs , sure they were both XAs.Vern Muller had his in the 90s as well. Do Cobra Coupes get a mention on XAGT thread?

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Hi Steve,Damn, the trouble with my garage is that I keep puting thing in and forgetting about them.
Did I remember to tell you that I had some MACH 3s and MACH 4s also or,...oh no did I forget to tell you about those as wel, man my memory is bad.l.Real muscle bikes.Standing quarter in 12 secs.One used to blow a GTHO into the dust at Kerrs Rd, Wiri in the 70s.Who else was there , apart from me and my loose cannon mate John Whiting? Dennis Marwood had the Custom Car Camaro there-loud!!!
The photos Steve were 2 stranded red XA Coupes and I was wondering if people may recognise them as ex racing coupes at all or just chicken coopes.The red XBs owner was a circuit racer I do know that.Privacy prevents showing name or rego number.

Steve Emson
07-22-2012, 10:57 AM

Hi John, Yes I do still see Calvin from time to time. He lives in Sydney and I am in Brisbane. I just gave him a hard time about NSW losing to Queensland in the State of Origin recently.

Steve Emson
07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Wow! Where have you been hiding this? Awesome pic, and one I've not seen before. You're right, this is indeed Jim Richards, and I'm 99.99% certain this photo was taken at Manfeild in February 1975. Rob Lester held a 70 lap endurance race in which JR put this Falcon on pole, and was the fastest car throughout, but was beaten to the finish by Inky Tulloch in an E-49 Charger. Tulloch was able to complete the full distance without having to stop for fuel, whereas JR had to pit the thirsty Falcon at least once.

The success of this race prompted Lester to get a Winter Endurance Series off the ground during the winter of 1975, with races held at Manfeild, Pukekohe and Bay Park. JR switched to co-driving a Z28 Camaro with Neville Crichton. I could be wrong, and would love to know for sure, but John Marslin raced an XA hardtop very similar the this one in the Winter Endurance Series. Is this the car Marslin raced?

Thanks for sharing.

I have been looking at this car. I think it is Manfield and I think it is possible I was in this race. Possibly driving with Neville Bailey in my little white GTX Datsun Coupe. If it is the same race, we ran out of fuel on the last lap and the car stopped on the circuit. Neville got it started again and we won our class.

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Its always a great feeling when the Maroon put away the cockroaches. Calvin must really be suffering.
Tell us about your racing over there

Habu
07-22-2012, 08:45 PM
I also know Phil Schubert and Craig Pulmans were the real deal GT Coupes as well. In the early 90s I did the last race meeting at Baypark and there was a red Coupe there-Franks Tyres I think. Falcon Engineering at Hobsonville raced an orange one also.Dont know if they were GTs , sure they were both XAs.Vern Muller had his in the 90s as well. Do Cobra Coupes get a mention on XAGT thread?

As far as Im aware, Phil Schuberts car is the real deal too. Craig Pulmans XBGT coupe (the black car), was also the real deal - was originally a factory wind back sunroof car. Later converted to TraNZam spec with a wild fibreglass flare/front end, and is owned today by an avid Ford owner south of the Bombays. Was it Vern Mullers blue XAGT coupe that got impaled on the tyre at the "Wings and Wheels" classic at Ardmore in the early 90's? I remember the Falcon Engineering coupe too...

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Craig went out and bought the car off a car yard.No one picked up a body with hard to track down pieces like today.As Verns car is running XC front ,is that the result of the impaling,I wasnt there.Tell us some more of that day...after all this is your XAGT site.Maybe Vern or his mechanic Spanners was to donate to a good cause here.

Steve Emson
07-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Its always a great feeling when the Maroon put away the cockroaches. Calvin must really be suffering.
Tell us about your racing over there
In 1994 I bought a Gemini for the Qld State Championship, just to see if I could still drive a car. Mainly for my kids to see that their old man actually did race. Won virtually all the races and the Qld State Championship 1994. Raced a HQ a few times setting the lap records straight at Lakeside. I then bought a XY Falcon GTHO (replica) for Historic racing. I only raced it when I felt like it, but did win 2 Qld State Championships and a few other things with it. This was the fastest car in Qld and even won the muscle car shootout to make it offical. I should have raced V8's years ago as I really enjoyed that car. Stopped racing after 2001. I really spent a lot of time getting Historic group NC & NB off the ground and I created the Qld Cup (with rules so I couldn't win it in the Falcon). Also got Cams to organise the Championship. Took a lot of doing to get these cars out of the sheds and racing. It is now very strong here with big fields.

Sorry to everyone for highjacking the thread.

rogered
07-22-2012, 10:25 PM
I could well be wrong, but i had an idea that this is the phil schubert car now.
does any body know for sure??????????

Thanks for sharing.

John McKechnie
07-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Well, hey its the right colour and would answer some questions .
To Steve Em-you are a part of NZ racing, we are honoured to have you here.You , like a lot of Kiwis are shaping Queensland.-GTHO, Maroons supporter, doesnt get better than that.
What do you think of the Transam series?
Keep donating.

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 12:09 AM
Hey Steve Em-you say you should have raced V8s years ago.
When and why did that magic moment happen.
You had always been a Datsun icon. Every day in the 70s-80s people would wake up in the morning secure in the knowledge that what ever the day would throw at them ,Steve Emson would always be in a Datsun Coupe.
To hear this is a real shock to the system.I can live with this news,because you chose the brand that I like.
Why dont you bring the car -should comply if its a replica-over and have a play with us in the Historic Muscle Cars in January? Dale needs a playmate on the front of the grid

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 03:11 AM
Hi Steve Em-Looking at your accomplishments over there is phenominal. Firstly that is quite an achievement in racing the Falcon.
Getting CAMS to organize a Championship also a milestone On both sides of the Tasman we all agree that for motor racing it is vital to get cars out of sheds and on the track.Even sorting out classes to run in is a minefield. I am a strong Historic person, modern running gear in these old cars is hot rodding, nascar motors belong on nascar tracks.I love to see the XY and XAGT running as they were designed, warts and all.
Please tell us more of your experiences over there. Any lessons learnt are worth listening to

Steve Holmes
07-23-2012, 03:46 AM

Hey Haga, can you flick me an email please: enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz I emailed you yesterday about this pic, not sure if you got it or not. Thanks.

Steve Emson
07-23-2012, 04:56 AM
John, you will get me banned from this site for getting way, way off topic.9637 This car was an icon in Queensland, firstly with the driver that built it Lloyd Bax. I bought it off Lloyd and everyone built various cars including Lloyd (E49 Charger) to try and beat it when I owned it. Lloyd became one of my best mates, but we lost him to cancer. That and Queensland Raceway (they closed Lakeside) being a silly circuit were you do not need a lot of ability (IMHO) made me put it in the shed for years. I sold it to Russell Wright- a long story,....................no one could believe i sold it, not even my family.
Amazing car to drive, 429hp at the rear wheels, 143mph (232KPH)through the left hand kink at Lakeside, and full power slides in 3rd up out of of hungry corner. I am getting goosebumps writing this! It had quite a reputation this car. You even got standing ovations sometimes at the trophy presentations.( from the Wayne Wakefield fan club)
To put it in perceptive (maybe) it was several seconds a lap quicker around Lakeside than Moffatts GTHO with Moffatt and Kevin Bartlet driving in group C specs. Lloyd used to work on all the Bowdens cars in their extensive collection. These times come from Lloyd.The one that won everything over here. Also quicker than Big Pete Geogahans super falcon which had 600hp+ and fuel injection etc etc.
Some say it was amazing to watch, and it was the only car that I drove that scared my Wife to death.(around Lakeside). Anyway I am all excited now after talking about it.
The V8 thing,............I had a choice at one stage, buy the formula Pacific, ( not a good car) or Jimmy Richards Sidchrome Mustang. Jimmy said if I went to Australia with the Mustang, i would not win but I would get noticed. My crew all said they would move to Aussie with me. That would have been interesting.

kiwi285
07-23-2012, 05:07 AM
http://i45.tinypic.com/b7yj36.jpg

A photo of the Phil Schubert car at Pukekohe in 2011. That is one mean looking machine and Phil really drives it hard. Looks and sounds great.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ws66xc.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/25it4t1.jpg

Steve Emson
07-23-2012, 05:07 AM
Oh, and I had forgotten about this car. This is the ex Dick Johnson XC coupe. It was found and restored by John Harris who used to own Bryan Byrt Ford at the time.
I was asked to drive it for him in some Historic races. It has only had a couple of drivers, Dick and his co-drivers and me.
I guess this is slightly more appropriate considering the thread.

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Hi Steve Em-you just keep writing boy.This site has taken a lot more hits since you have been here.
Pretend this thread is hungry corner-JUST DONT BACK OFF.
In just one week we have passed 1063 visits, thats the interest in these Fords.
Great restoration there of the blue XC
Any video links to see you running in it.
Any more wheels like that sitting there ?-my HMC XA Coupe would look great on those.
Paul Newman once wrote...When you are not racing , you are just waiting to race.....
You know what you want to do.
Until you do , keep your blood hot here.

kiwi285
07-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Oh, and I had forgotten about this car. This is the ex Dick Johnson XC coupe. It was found and restored by John Harris who used to own Bryan Byrt Ford at the time.
I was asked to drive it for him in some Historic races. It has only had a couple of drivers, Dick and his co-drivers and me.
I guess this is slightly more appropriate considering the thread.

Steve that is one amazing car and I would give my eye teeth to see it driven with a bit anger.

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 05:37 AM
Great pix kiwi285. It is amazing that so many of these coupes are XA.
Hope to add mine soon.

Steve Emson
07-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Yeah it was driven in anger, But I was told,......................do not bend it. I hate to think what this car is worth. Big money these days! This photo was taken on a different day, (demo run not me driving) I raced it at Queensland Raceway and Morgan Park in Warrick. It was a little strange as it turned up in a V8 supercar transporter etc. Now I know how the other half live.
I stayed back at the track one night while everyone else went to a function and pulled those 2 piece wheels apart to change the tyres by hand. That was fun as well.

Haga
07-23-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey Haga, can you flick me an email please: enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz I emailed you yesterday about this pic, not sure if you got it or not. Thanks.

Hi Steve.... As per email photo owner happy to publish photo here for info....but not to be published commercially without his permission. cheers Haga

kiwi285
07-23-2012, 10:36 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/fz86q0.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/6h56hh.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2zntrfn.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/8wlftj.jpg

some more for the collection. A couple of Aussie ones included

kiwi285
07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
http://i50.tinypic.com/da7nm.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/o6zpci.jpg

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
This is a great way to wake up on a wet Tuesday morning and see these pix.Thanks to you kiwi285, I for one will have a happier face on.I love the Simmons gold wheels that many are wearing.The black no 35 is that Ellis car before an upgrade? The John Goss car looks brilliant in the light blue. Anybody know what has happened to the Gary Raiti car-was a strong regular but havent seen it for a while.The Willmington car-what track is that at-looks like HD?
Steve Em-so why didnt you go for the Richards Sidchrome Mustang then? Be great to have in the lounge now as a conversation piece.

Steve Holmes
07-23-2012, 07:48 PM
The Wilmington XC is probably at Eastern Creek. I'm pretty sure Wilmington still owns that car.

That John Goss XA is said to have been built from a spare body shell Goss had at his workshop when he was racing his original XA which no longer exists.

The Gary Raiti XA is still owned by Gary. That is such a beautiful car, a real credit to Gary. I think he might be a member on here? Either way, you'll be racing against him in HMC when you get your car finished John!

Re the Vern Muller XC, yes, Vern crashed that car heavily at Whenuapai. It began life as an XA GS, not a GT. After the crash Vern decided to rebuild it as an XC Cobra replica. The racing group he was with at the time (Production Muscle???) was strict on bodywork modifications, and if Vern converted it to an XC he could run the rear facing hood scoop which he couldn't run as an XA.

Steve Holmes
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Another Kiwi GT is the Daryl Lucas/Pete Jacobs XA hardtop. That car is a genuine GT which Daryl ended up with when he owned a wreckers yard in Palmerston North in the '80s. It came in as a write-off, so he rebuilt it as a race car for classic racing. It was originally red, but was repainted similar to the third Ford works Group C car (the test mule) from 1973 that Pete Geoghegan raced at Sandown after a big crash at the Wellington street race. Daryl still owns the car, Pete has been doing a bit of work on it lately to race with HMC at some stage in the future.

Habu
07-23-2012, 08:27 PM
This is a great way to wake up on a wet Tuesday morning and see these pix.Thanks to you kiwi285, I for one will have a happier face on.I love the Simmons gold wheels that many are wearing.The black no 35 is that Ellis car before an upgrade? The John Goss car looks brilliant in the light blue. Anybody know what has happened to the Gary Raiti car-was a strong regular but havent seen it for a while.The Willmington car-what track is that at-looks like HD?
Steve Em-so why didnt you go for the Richards Sidchrome Mustang then? Be great to have in the lounge now as a conversation piece.

Isnt the 35 car Tony van Tiels?

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Hi Steve, any pics of Petes car- Looks like survival rate of these Coupes in NZ is better than in Aus- no RPO Coupes left. Looks like almost all ex racers are still going here.Still dont know what happened to Falcon Engineering XA Coupe-understand owner sadly passed away.Also the red XA Coupe that I raced with at Hamilton street race and Baypark. Any leads here
I heard a rumour that someone bought an ex racing Coupe , chopped it up.Offered me the rear guards for $2k.
A friend in the SI said that there was a black XB Coupe running at the Skope meeting and he has been running it for years.And of course who can forget Kirk Benge in his yellow Coupe.
Have been focusing on Coupes-lets have some on sedans as well guys- Attila ran XB in Muscle Cars. Kirk Benge stared off in a yellow XB sedan.

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Is it still running like this, what class does it run in.?
Great to hear Garrys coming out to play again.
Have been absolutely reassured that new Falcon Coupes will NOT have gleaming rear quarters christened as a welcome to HMC

kiwi285
07-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Isnt the 35 car Tony van Tiels?

Yes it is Tony Van Tiels car.

kiwi285
07-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Is it still running like this, what class does it run in.?
Great to hear Garrys coming out to play again.
Have been absolutely reassured that new Falcon Coupes will NOT have gleaming rear quarters christened as a welcome to HMC

John I have sent you a P. Cheers Mike

John McKechnie
07-23-2012, 09:47 PM
Hi Mike, Thanks mate.
Hi Wayne, this is your thread-lets have some more of your history of XAGTs.
Look at what we have going here thanks to you-we are getting 100 views a day-we need to keep feeding them.

Steve Holmes
07-23-2012, 11:00 PM
As per the original title of this thread, here are some Castrol GTX racing XA GT Falcons. These pics are all posted elsewhere on The Roaring Season, these ones being from The Peter Hanna Collection:

Steve Holmes
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
These ones are from the Steve Twist Collection:

Steve Holmes
07-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Steve Holmes
07-23-2012, 11:04 PM

kiwi285
07-24-2012, 01:20 AM

Hi John,

It is taken round the back of the main pit building at Eastern Creek.

Oldfart
07-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Love the towbar on the second car in post #62!

Hillbilly
07-24-2012, 03:56 AM
George Sheweiry, Brett Walker, Gary Douglas (XA on fence)?

Hillbilly
07-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Kirk Benge

Haga
07-24-2012, 04:40 AM
Hi Mike, Thanks mate.
Hi Wayne, this is your thread-lets have some more of your history of XAGTs.
Look at what we have going here thanks to you-we are getting 100 views a day-we need to keep feeding them.

I went to Manfield in mid 80s and watched a red XAGT coupe passing everything until it blew up!! My guess has always been that it was the Schubert car. A few years later I wanted a GT....XYs were too dare so I ended up with an XA. I still own the same car but have fully rebuilt it over that time.

The race history here in NZ for XAs is quite extensive as I have learnt over time. People such as myself who were too young to know about racing in the 70s donot know about it.

Hopefully info we get here and the excellent articles which Steve writes fix this.

I know a large number of Ozzies are intrigued by our race history as well. I have attended there GT nationals and seen some fantastic cars.

Thanks to the people who have posted pictures so far. I am amazed at the quality of the 70s ones.

PS: I was at MCM Eastern Creek in 07? when Gossy was pedalling the XA coupe around at sunset. I have been to a lot of race meetings but that car humming down the straight and blasting into turn 1 was one of the best viewing moments I have ever had.

John McKechnie
07-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Hi Wayne,
I was there in the 70s as a young man .I know that there was real excitement with GTHOs and earlier Monaros- Bruce Anderson, Richard Brocklehurst,Jim Palmer, Bill Minty, Graham Addis and many others.Racing was tight Later at the time of the XAs I felt the intensity seemed to wane a lot-only competition was between Richards and Crichton.As a result I didnt follow as much this series.Remember the GTHO was the wild one,the XA wasnt so spectacular and only 1 Monaro to run against it.Then later it was Chargers......I look at those photos and remember that I was there, but wasnt hanging off my seat.These were road cars, some had towbars to get the real race cars to the track.Also I felt cheated that Aus had these XA fire breathing Coupes running all the time , but we still had sedans. My embaresing comments show no disrespect to those competitors, their driving skills, and the hard working teams at the time. Just the fickle nature of spectators and their demands for entertainment at a rock bottom entrance fee. I would also like to congratulate the tireless efforts of the enthusiasts with cameras who have captured so brilliantly our history for us to revisit here. Nostalgia would be nothing without them.

Powder
07-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Turn 1 at Pukekohe, July 1998.

John McKechnie
07-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi ,just got some more information on Barry Lloyd and his Lime Glaze XAGT Coupe- won the 1978 Castrol GTX production saloon championship, other winners of that championship were guys like Jim Richards so that was definately his biggest win. He won a couple of South Island championships and had over 200 individual race wins between the 4 door and the coupe between 1973-1981 all over the country. He used to love running in the North Island when ever he could, yet I have not found any other photos. His orange XAGT sedan photo from Ruapuna in 1974 will follow..This is a name that definitely belongs up there with the greats and look at what he was driving to do this.

John McKechnie
07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Barrys son Paul has agreed to give all these details - Dads car was sold in the early 1990's with 30,000 genuine miles on the clock.....mostly race miles!! It still had the original matching numbers engine block etc..from memory the car was rust proofed by the first Australian owner from new.....I can definitely remember it as the best example of a rust free Falcon coupe I have personally seen...... garage stored the entire time Dad owned it.
Wayne Murdochs name is mentioned in the thread a couple of times as a driver of XAGT four doors in the early 70's. He is also an incredibley talented car engineer, he built and maintained Dads four door and coupe for him along with all of his other race cars. They took a trip to Aussie together a while after building the coupe and contacted some aussie race teams they bought back all manner of good competition brake pads, suspension tweaks ,tricks and components etc..from this trip.

John McKechnie
07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
was sold to an enthusiast in Dunedin. At the time this guy already owned a nice tidy restored genuine XAGT coupe also Lime Glaze with white upholstery basically identical to Dads car but with a lot more miles on the clock. Dad traded this car and and received a large pile of $$$ for his race car. Dad kept the other coupe for a few years before selling it. Where that car went neither of us can remember!!

As for the race car all race damaged panels were to be replaced with NOS Ford items the guy from Dunedin had collected from various Ford dealers around the country during the 80's when they were clearing old stock at bargain prices. He basically had enough stuff to rebuild an entire XAGT coupe. To the best of our knowledge after the rebuild it was then to be put in secure storage as an investment.

John McKechnie
07-24-2012, 09:44 PM
The 4 door XAGT that Barry Lloyd raced -as shown in the pic is dead.
Paul Lloyd said that Paul Urquart ended up with it and asked me to find out where it is.
Paul U said that he owned it in the early 80s.It was sitting at Mainline Motors for $18k.
He got it for $15k and owned it for some time.
Had a major in it and was totaled.
We now can complete and finish the history on GF1858 racing XAGT 4 door.Didnt make it.
Next car to carry on?

Steve Holmes
07-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Here is the 4-door John was referring to:

Steve Holmes
07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Kirk Benge

Where was this photo taken Paul? Looks like Bay Park? Some pretty cool cars in there. Whose are the HT Monaro and the orange Falcon hardtop?

That yellow Kirk Benge hardtop was for sale a year or two back. Does anyone know what happened to it? Did he have the Falcon before or after the Torino?

Hillbilly
07-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I think it will be Baypark as he raced there a lot, and expect the XA could be Phil Schubert?
The Torino was much later.

I see Kirk is on here now an will know......Captain Kirk, time to chime in!

Steve Holmes
07-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Thanks Paul. Yep he joined yesterday, hopefully he'll fill in the gaps.

John McKechnie
07-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Hi Steve, looking at the red Monaro I am sure it is a HK ,you can see the shiny crossbar running horizontal on the grille, rear taillamps look smaller than HT.Could be the man from Steely Gears-is it Tony Rattray?

TonyG
07-25-2012, 08:15 PM
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Legends/LS348-4.jpg
Craig Harris was driving it here under control of Father, John and very sedately. John French driving Tru Blu, put about 6 laps on them as well as made a pit stop in the 20 minutes they were on the track doing the demo.
According to the Dick Johnson 35 years of racing book the deal he had with John Harris when he first got the XD was that he take the running gear out of the Coupe for the XD race car and transplant the XD's gear standard gear back into the coupe and give it back to Bryan Byrt Ford. I do not know how much the car has been restored to race trim since then as it does not say.
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Legends/LS349-4.jpg
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Legends/LS377-4.jpg
They also had the ex Melfords Jim Richards coupe on display which was purchased for the Johnson team as a spare.
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Legends/LS008-4.jpg

Steve Holmes
07-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Thanks Tony. I love that those Bryan Byrt Fords had been kept all these years. John Harris took over Bryan Byrt Ford when Byrt himself died, and Harris didn't think the costs to go motor racing were justified. He was a race fan, but felt the company couldn't sustain the costs, especially once 1980 rolled around, and teams had to replace their old XC hardtops with the new XD model. Bryan Byrt was actually the guy who started the Moffat Ford Dealer Team, and was clearly a huge racing enthusiast who thought motorsport paid for itself through the publicity it generated. But John Harris was obviously a genuine enthusiast too, because he has kept all these cars in a small museum for all these years.

Steve Holmes
07-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Hi Steve, looking at the red Monaro I am sure it is a HK ,you can see the shiny crossbar running horizontal on the grille, rear taillamps look smaller than HT.Could be the man from Steely Gears-is it John Rattray?

Well spotted John, I didn't look that closely. Tony still owns that HK Monaro, its now painted orange.

Steve Holmes
07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Barrys son Paul has agreed to give all these details - Dads car was sold in the early 1990's with 30,000 genuine miles on the clock.....mostly race miles!! It still had the original matching numbers engine block etc..from memory the car was rust proofed by the first Australian owner from new.....I can definitely remember it as the best example of a rust free Falcon coupe I have personally seen...... garage stored the entire time Dad owned it.
Wayne Murdochs name is mentioned in the thread a couple of times as a driver of XAGT four doors in the early 70's. He is also an incredibley talented car engineer, he built and maintained Dads four door and coupe for him along with all of his other race cars. They took a trip to Aussie together a while after building the coupe and contacted some aussie race teams they bought back all manner of good competition brake pads, suspension tweaks ,tricks and components etc..from this trip.

Nice work John, its great to finally get some concrete info about this car. As you say, it won an NZ championship, and was a significant car. Good to know it has survived.

John McKechnie
07-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Hi, Does any anorak/statistician have the figures on how many NZ championships XA,XB,XC sedan and coupes won. Please add if there are more-I just got these from Discontinued Race Champs.
Our first entry was Jim Richards is his XAGT.sedan-1972
Second entry is now Barry Lloyd in his XACT Coupe-1978 -2 championships
next is Jim Richards Wayne Murdoch 1974
Jim Richards 1975-2 championships
All have been Production Class.
Pretty good record for NZ.
All Ford Fans pat each other on the back , we kept Holdens winless here.
We want FPR, SBR,and DJR to do the same in Aus.
Oh, yes BTW - Leo Leonard won once in his Charger 1972
Overall it reflects that XAGT , XBGT were the right choice for straight off the road and go racing.
Here you are Haga- a story with a happy ending, but lets NOT stop this thread.
More pix please

John McKechnie
07-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi Steve, in that photo with Captain Kirk-the XA Coupe next to him is the late Steve Woody-this is the Falcon Engineering Coupe I have mentioned before.
Kirk want to enter ,joined,but has not been able to sign in yet ,may need a push start,,there will be pix then

Steve Holmes
07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Hi, Does any anorak/statistician have the figures on how many NZ championships XA,XB,XC sedan and coupes won. Please add if there are more-I just got these from Discontinued Race Champs.
Our first entry was Jim Richards is his XAGT.sedan-1972
Second entry is now Barry Lloyd in his XACT Coupe-1978 -2 championships
next is Jim Richards Wayne Murdoch 1974
Jim Richards 1975-2 championships
All have been Production Class.
Pretty good record for NZ.
All Ford Fans pat each other on the back , we kept Holdens winless here.
We want FPR, SBR,and DJR to do the same in Aus.
Oh, yes BTW - Leo Leonard won once in his Charger 1972
Overall it reflects that XAGT , XBGT were the right choice for straight off the road and go racing.
Here you are Haga- a story with a happy ending, but lets NOT stop this thread.
More pix please

Well the XA - XC won Bathurst in 1973, 1974, 1977, the Australian Touring Car Championship in 1976, 1977, the New Zealand Castrol GTX series in 1974, 1975, and 1978. So thats a pretty good record.

John McKechnie
07-27-2012, 12:15 AM
I see we have now past 2168 views, its reassuring to know that many people are following this public notice..
There must be more people out there with stories of these cars in their past , and that their typical day on the road is like a Mel Gibson day.
Lets see....I have one -In 1987 I had a XA Coupe 302 4 speed factory car.No Pix available. Poo brown_walnut glaze. I found some people in a certain area of Auckland that had for sale a XC GS complete front -bonnet with noses, front guards, headlamp panel assy with all lamps, grille and bumper.They were conveniently wanut glaze.So for $500 , bought the lot ,took it home and changed it.
Local Westie car wrecker gave me $100 for all the old front-hey , not the value then. Also purchased back taillamp panel from SI, no trade me in those days, it was even rustier than mu old one.
First time out with it , local 57 Chev was passing and indicated-lets perform an illegal act by loosing wheel traction.Great , but stripped the diff. Cars -one step forward, two steps back.Sold it too a guy in Masterton. He test drove it.Had to turn the keys off as we were driving as I feared for my life.He paid cash and drove away.I lived 5 miles from the motorway and I could hear him wheel spinning all the way.Heard that a week later this car hit a tree head on at maximum velocity and motor ended up inside the cabin.Has any one ended up with this car?

Steve Holmes
07-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Interesting story John! Just by coincidence, I live in the Wairarapa, and there was a dark brown XC hardtop that a guy working in Carterton was using as a daily driver about 3-4 years ago. You tend to take notice because you don't notice them often. I should do a bit of research and try and find out more about it.

John McKechnie
07-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Well spotted Steve.I kept the XA tail lamps on it .Also it was a designated Continental model, badges were attached.Had vinyl roof different to factory.It went past the back window, curled down onto the rear guard and finished up at the front of the B piller under the side windows.Very distinctive and much better looking.As a trimmer, I redid the inside a silver fabric. Had mags with 265 all around .A man of your capabilities should spot all these details very easily.

Steve Holmes
07-27-2012, 12:36 AM
I didn't see it up close John, just sort of spotted it a few times when driving past. In amongst all the modern Jap cars it was easy to spot, and I'd look out for it when driving past each time. But from memory it had mags and a vinyl roof, which I thought was black, but could be wrong.

John McKechnie
07-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Gezz Steve , you are replying quicker than I can send these.My customers will think I spend all my time here.Vinyl roof was cream.Forgot to mention-only reason that I sold it was that I was paralyzed and didnt know if I would ever walk again.As I recovered I didnt know if I would have the strength in my leg to operate a manual trans.Also the seats were not economically inclined for bad backs.All these things seem irrelevant now after 25 years- except I have another Coupe with ABSOLUTELY no rust

KIRK BENGE
07-27-2012, 01:23 AM
Hi, Photo Bay park 94, 95. The old xb coupe is still sitting as I sold it down the line, it didn't sell when it was on Trade me last time. I got the NZ new 1970 GT 351, 4 speed Torino in 2000. First race was 01 I think, A real handful after the Coupe. The XB GT that Brett Walker raced was my first car I raced back in1992.

Steve Holmes
07-27-2012, 02:01 AM
Hey Kirk, good to see you on here! So is your old XB still a race car or was it converted back to a road car? Where is your Torino now?

John McKechnie
07-27-2012, 03:08 AM
Just checked the spread sheet on racing Falcons .Dont see Brett Walker on the list.
Any one know?

Habu
07-27-2012, 03:29 AM
Hi, Photo Bay park 94, 95. The old xb coupe is still sitting as I sold it down the line, it didn't sell when it was on Trade me last time. I got the NZ new 1970 GT 351, 4 speed Torino in 2000. First race was 01 I think, A real handful after the Coupe. The XB GT that Brett Walker raced was my first car I raced back in1992.

Bit off topic, but I once remember following the Torino in Prod. Musclecar. It was a bit ugly around the corners, but damn it disappeared down the chute fast!

Steve Holmes
07-27-2012, 09:44 PM
What were you driving Habu?

225sloper
07-29-2012, 01:35 AM
977097719772977397749775first time posting hope this works

Steve Holmes
07-29-2012, 03:12 AM
NICE pics sloper. I especially love that Gary Raiti car, its an absolute show car that, but still gets driven hard.

Habu
07-29-2012, 07:32 PM
What were you driving Habu?

An XY GS 302 Falcon. Not much competition for Captain Kirks Torino :o

kiwi285
07-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Great photos Sloper - thanks for sharing them.

Steve Holmes
07-30-2012, 08:19 PM
An XY GS 302 Falcon. Not much competition for Captain Kirks Torino :o

Wow! An XY GS is a really desirable car now, don't suppose you still have it?

bry3500
07-31-2012, 12:54 AM
A bit off topic I know, turn the sound up to max - enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diQ2YJQtXK8

kiwi285
07-31-2012, 01:12 AM
[QUOTE=bry3500;16550]A bit off topic I know, turn the sound up to max - enjoy :)

Fantastic sound track from the 351 and great skills in negotiating so many other cars.

Oldfart
07-31-2012, 02:04 AM
Shame that the sound track overpowered the cars sound so much. What a very strange grid to be that far back, lots of full risk overtaking needed!

bry3500
07-31-2012, 04:15 AM
Yeh - pity about the music, is the car at 7.44 a Studebaker?
and what is the red fastback at 1.08?

Hillbilly
07-31-2012, 05:27 AM
http://youtu.be/cG_Bhrgs6VU
Sorry for the quality of these from old VHS. George Sheweiry's Cobra stars in the first clip then followed by Kirk Benge's Torino in the second. Gas pedal seems to have only one position in both cases....
(Muscle Car Roadrace series and Production Musclecar respectively)

Rod Grimwood
07-31-2012, 05:50 AM
George, oh George, the 100mtr board is for the single seaters, and grass on tyres with a million horse power in a Torino does not really mix. Good hard stuff though. And no damage even better.

GeebeeNZ
07-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Yeh - pity about the music, is the car at 7.44 a Studebaker?
and what is the red fastback at 1.08?

Yes 7.44 is a Studebaker but 1.08 has me thinking I thought it was a Broadspeed Mini but it looks too long in the bonnet. Perhaps it is a low volume Aussie car like an early Bolwell.
Graeme

tweaks
07-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I think the car at 1.08 is a Honda S800 coupw

cheers

Lynds

Habu
07-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Wow! An XY GS is a really desirable car now, don't suppose you still have it?

Nope, sold it to "fund" some more of my childrens education....

Habu
07-31-2012, 07:39 PM
The red XB coupe in the second video I believe to be John Pope's car - wonder what became of it. Remember the Jewel Green XA 4 door, saw it race a couple of times, a nice car, but havent seen it for years. The blue XA 4 door was apparently a genuine RPO83 - at least according to its then owner, many, many years ago when I spoke to him. Unfortunately, I dont know who either of the XA's were owned by, but nice cars.

Steve Holmes
07-31-2012, 08:47 PM
http://youtu.be/cG_Bhrgs6VU
Sorry for the quality of these from old VHS. George Sheweiry's Cobra stars in the first clip then followed by Kirk Benge's Torino in the second. Gas pedal seems to have only one position in both cases....
(Muscle Car Roadrace series and Production Musclecar respectively)

Hey Paul, that video is awesome! Thanks for posting. Man those things look a REAL handful! Thats how muscle cars should be.

Steve Holmes
07-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Nope, sold it to "fund" some more of my childrens education....

Ahhh, yes, heard that story many, many times before. I'm sure they're grateful to you though???

Steve Holmes
07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
For those who don't want that bloody song playing over and over in your head long after you've finished watching the video, here it is without the music. Ford V8 makes for a much better soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLPTjE1GZk

John McKechnie
08-08-2012, 12:58 AM
This proves what we have always said-why have a car radio, a Ford V8 gives far better sound, I guess thats why Holdens need car stereos.

Rod Grimwood
08-08-2012, 03:58 AM
Now, Now John.

John McKechnie
08-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Well Rod, This is a XA site-support your local #351. I have 3 Falcons in my garage, none have radios .I have a HT Monaro sitting outside and it has a radio.Am I being a bit one eyed here? Or do Holdens make better radios. Lovely lines on your Ford Escort racer , by the way........

Kiwiboss
08-09-2012, 02:55 AM
John, get off this forum, you have an HMC Falcon Coupe to build and its 5.5 months until Denny Hulme, LOL

Dale M

Steve Holmes
08-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Dale, according to his ad on here looking for wheels, John has now bought a set. So progress is being made! I'm hoping John will post progress pics of his car as it comes together.

John McKechnie
08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
5.5 months is not long enough..It will probably be like Foggy- finishing it in 2 weeks.I did ask him if he had a sunday motoring engine laying around collecting dust. Wheels are 15 inch Challenger ,a direct copy of the Globes. I will be trying to keep it authentic looking , but will probably have to have a race seat for safety.

Rod Grimwood
08-09-2012, 09:02 PM
John, if you are keeping it authentic, are you going to run side burns and a moustache with a little hair hanging over the collar like back then.
PS where are you doing this as i am down next Saturday on Shore for a birthday and may drop in.

John McKechnie
08-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Hi Rod, you are welcome to drop in, best to call me first-I am in the phone book.You will be safe as there are no planned non-union working bees yet. Fortunately as there have been a few Coupe drivers over the years, there are a variety body styles to choose from. I personally prefer the Jim Richards model- tall, slender, no facial attachments. I definitely am not the round Fred Gibson model, but like Allan Moffat do use glasses. Dale can keep the mustache fan club happy. I dont remember back in the early 70s we were required to wear fire rated hair nets to keep our waist length hair extensions safe,so whats the latest ruling on where long hair is to be kept...only over the collar?

Rod Grimwood
08-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Been awhile since i had long (any) hair, so not too sure on that. Will contact you. Cheers

John McKechnie
08-10-2012, 05:41 AM
So will I not recognise the long haired hippy who used to drive the water truck at Waikaraka Park- Rod, you are a real survivor.

kiwi285
08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/35inlgi.jpg

Could this vehicle have potential as a race car.

Haga
08-11-2012, 08:55 PM
72 early XA shell + truck load of money and it could!!

Hard to tell from photo (with no radiator support) but gather it was factory V8, that is why they cut rad support panel off to get motor out?

Rod Grimwood
08-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Anything can be made into a race car, just time, $$$, time $$$ time. Looks like it is most there.

kiwi285
08-13-2012, 04:56 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/1p8509.jpg

It's not going to be acid dipped !!!!

kiwi285
08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/2nstb49.jpg

Well at least its got a good hoodlining

Rod Grimwood
08-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Kiwi285, is this your new project ? that will cut into your camera time.

kiwi285
08-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Kiwi285, is this your new project ? that will cut into your camera time.

With my limited knowledge it would take me several years figuring out where to start. Always have time to take photos.

kiwi285
08-14-2012, 05:38 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/smt7xc.jpg

Like Lazarus - brought back from the dead

kiwi285
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/34jeudk.jpg

As several people have noted time and money are great healers of neglected cars

John McKechnie
08-14-2012, 10:38 PM
Wow , that is a real transformation.The dogs look like they will protect it from harmful elements. Good to see original lime glaze , hate it when all reference to cars earlier life is removed. Kiwi285 , that is such a meaningful sentence-especially that word -healer.It is as if the car can self repair after the elements have ravaged them. All they need to do is crawl away and hide at the back of the garage for long enough and they will emerge like the Cobra that Rod recently added.

mark powell
08-16-2012, 11:29 PM
I think you will find the Falcon Engineering coupe is painted black and in the South Island raced by Leah Derick
Hi Steve, any pics of Petes car- Looks like survival rate of these Coupes in NZ is better than in Aus- no RPO Coupes left. Looks like almost all ex racers are still going here.Still dont know what happened to Falcon Engineering XA Coupe-understand owner sadly passed away.Also the red XA Coupe that I raced with at Hamilton street race and Baypark. Any leads here
I heard a rumour that someone bought an ex racing Coupe , chopped it up.Offered me the rear guards for $2k.
A friend in the SI said that there was a black XB Coupe running at the Skope meeting and he has been running it for years.And of course who can forget Kirk Benge in his yellow Coupe.
Have been focusing on Coupes-lets have some on sedans as well guys- Attila ran XB in Muscle Cars. Kirk Benge stared off in a yellow XB sedan.

mark powell
08-16-2012, 11:57 PM
No Its not the Pope car as we sold that back in 1991 to be driven on the road to a guy in Thames, but the car has not been seen since. Jewel Green xa will be Greg Deach which he still has but now also has a red XA coupe race car
The red XB coupe in the second video I believe to be John Pope's car - wonder what became of it. Remember the Jewel Green XA 4 door, saw it race a couple of times, a nice car, but havent seen it for years. The blue XA 4 door was apparently a genuine RPO83 - at least according to its then owner, many, many years ago when I spoke to him. Unfortunately, I dont know who either of the XA's were owned by, but nice cars.

mark powell
08-17-2012, 12:04 AM
I think the red coupe looks like Kevin Alley,s
Where was this photo taken Paul? Looks like Bay Park? Some pretty cool cars in there. Whose are the HT Monaro and the orange Falcon hardtop?

That yellow Kirk Benge hardtop was for sale a year or two back. Does anyone know what happened to it? Did he have the Falcon before or after the Torino?

John McKechnie
08-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Ш фь екнштп ещ аштв еру зкумшщгы щцтук...........whoops, wrong text,try again.I am trying to find the previous owner of my Coupe.Does anyone know the location of David Beaver,auto electrician, formerly Collie Rd, Glenbrooke?

kiwi285
08-17-2012, 10:50 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/2iibwpe.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/34ifptu.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/mtpah2.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/ndops.jpg

Some more for the collection.

mid-year
08-18-2012, 05:20 AM

mid-year
08-18-2012, 05:28 AM

mid-year
08-18-2012, 05:51 AM

mid-year
08-18-2012, 05:58 AM
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10221

John McKechnie
08-18-2012, 06:24 AM
CAPTION for XA Coupe stopped -
never use non genuine Ford parts on your Ford.
Dont let your car smoke your sponsors cigarettes.
-Murphy never had to walk this far to the dunny at Bathurst.
Any more bright ideas out there.

mark powell
08-18-2012, 10:24 AM
My friend Ross painted Jim Richard's old Sicrome mustang in this colour scheme , but I feel it looks better on a coupe . would love to see someone use it for a racing coupe here in NZ

John McKechnie
08-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Would also love to see Team Cambridge colours on a Falcon Coupe. Was on Faheys Mustang-Mike Feisst photo.. I feel that Ketts car with its bigger and different wheels and power bulge on the bonnet does not really do the original colour scheme justice.Would look great on my Monaro as a Grady Thompson tribute.If the colour and car combo arent exact, but some interpretation ,then the originality is gone.

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 12:47 AM

Of all the paint schemes on all of Moffats coupes, this one is my favourite. Unfortunately, adoration is linked to success, and this colour scheme came in 1979, when even Moffat couldn't make a Falcon coupe beat the Toranas. He only raced limited ATCC rounds, and had a miserable Bathurst.

By the way, beautiful photos Pete.

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 12:49 AM

Wow, this is amazing! I wonder how much it was? I like the last catch point on the windscreen: "Never to be repeated". How true is that.

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 12:51 AM

These are awesome Pete! Got any more? The vehicles in the background are just as interesting as the Cobras. Look at the line of Sandmans and Sundowners (is that what they called the Falcons?).

By the way Pete, the Corvette in your Avatar, is this the same car John Bowe is racing at Monterey this weekend?

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 12:52 AM
My friend Ross painted Jim Richard's old Sicrome mustang in this colour scheme , but I feel it looks better on a coupe . would love to see someone use it for a racing coupe here in NZ

Mark, George Sheweiry Jnr is building an XC hardtop with this colour scheme.

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 12:53 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/34jeudk.jpg

As several people have noted time and money are great healers of neglected cars

Boy, this is amazing! What a transformation.

mid-year
08-19-2012, 05:32 AM
10236Hi Steve,yes and he has secured pole up against some stiff local opposition.I hope he does well.Attached picture of Brock at Goodwood 2009.

mid-year
08-19-2012, 05:34 AM
The day we took these shots Lahood car sales wanted $8000 for the Phase 4 when the two Phase 3,s in stock where $6000. I should have bought it,oh well another opportunity lost.

mid-year
08-19-2012, 05:45 AM

mid-year
08-19-2012, 07:13 AM

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 09:05 AM
10236Hi Steve,yes and he has secured pole up against some stiff local opposition.I hope he does well.Attached picture of Brock at Goodwood 2009.

Thanks Pete, amazing photo! Who drove the car at Goodwood?

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 09:06 AM
The day we took these shots Lahood car sales wanted $8000 for the Phase 4 when the two Phase 3,s in stock where $6000. I should have bought it,oh well another opportunity lost.

Sounds cheap now, but at the time that would have been a lot of money! But, even still, would have been a bloody good investment.

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 09:09 AM

Wow, I love this photo. This must have been very early 1974? It was painted blue later in the year wasn't it? Pretty sure it was blue when it won Bathurst.

Steve Holmes
08-19-2012, 09:10 AM

These are awesome.

mid-year
08-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Steve, it was Peter Brock in the 66 FIA Corvette,he went over as a guest driver and enjoyed the car very much.the car was subsequently imported into Australia and JB is driving it this weekend for the Melbourne based owner.

mid-year
08-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Wow, I love this photo. This must have been very early 1974? It was painted blue later in the year wasn't it? Pretty sure it was blue when it won Bathurst.

Gossy broke with tradition when he changed from his normal Tru-Blu colour to yellow for 1973. but he was unlucky at that years Hardie-Ferodo 1000 and the car was rebuilt for 74 and changed back to the usual blue.

Ellis
08-19-2012, 11:48 PM
The one and only XA GTHO Ph4 ever built.
Its owner is a member of The GT Club Inc.
The car featured on our newsletter front cover a few years ago.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/Untitled-1-3.jpg

This is a for sale advert for it in the newspaper in 1985...
It had a colour change in its early life but is now back as it was built.
You will also notice that an AC unit had been fitted which incidently required the HO4 badge on the dash to be removed.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/HO4Advert.jpg

The XA GTHO dash badge....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/GTHOPh4Badge.jpg

kiwi285
08-20-2012, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=Ellis;17148]The one and only XA GTHO Ph4 ever built.

You will also notice that an AC unit had been fitted which incidently required the HO4 badge on the dash to be removed.

Wow - what would that be worth these days. Some one has a great investment there. Does he take it out much Ellis or keep it hidden away ? Mike

Steve Holmes
08-20-2012, 05:25 AM
The one and only XA GTHO Ph4 ever built.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/Untitled-1-3.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/HO4Advert.jpg

The XA GTHO dash badge....

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/GTHOPh4Badge.jpg

Would love to see more ads from that old newspaper! Ellis, you say the one and only XA Phase 4, weren't there 3 or 4 built?

John McKechnie
08-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Steve, you are correct , there was more than one, four sounds more like it.No thanks to Evan Green.$6000 would buy one ...then.

Parnelli
08-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Whilst there were 4 XA Phase IV’s built the other 3 were built up at the race factory , so this was the only one to go down the production line and the only one to receive it’s correct factory GTHO I.D. plate.

Ellis
08-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Steve, you are correct , there was more than one, four sounds more like it.No thanks to Evan Green.$6000 would buy one ...then.

The 3 race prototypes were std XAGT's pulled from the production line and
built/modified at Mahoneys Rd. They had XAGT compliance plates.
The Green car was the only XA GTHO ever to go down the production line and plated as such by Ford.....so one....the Calypso Green one.

The car makes few appearances, it was the subject of a resto last year which was covered by some magazine. The long time owner is very private but has made the odd unannounced visit to the monthly GT Club Inc meetings.

Steve Holmes
08-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Parnelli, Ellis, thanks for clearing that up.

Ellis
08-20-2012, 07:26 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/falcongtho/100_0386-1.jpg

Only the one with this on plate

Steve Holmes
08-20-2012, 07:32 AM
Wow, that one line speaks volumes!

Rascal
04-17-2013, 04:36 AM
with Further regard to Bryan thompsons Pic Of the lime green XA Falcon Coupe & other comments,

OLD MATE, Barry Lloyd, an Ashburton Earthmoving contractor, more often know as "BJ"; may have won the NZ GTX championship in 1978 with this car.
Race prepared by Timaru Guru, Wayne Murdoch, the car certainly figured well in all the points & placings in probably 2 seasons.

BJ, always the consistant driver , became a very much admired & liked, competitor.

Teretonga was his pick of the south island circuits ,where; the long front straight suited the legs of the falcon.

He had also Competed in the "villa maria 300" at Manfield, 1977 ? with this car, along with fellow ashburtonians , Rod Mclrea & Russ Haines [ X Robbie Franecievic Rx2 -capella coupe] at the same event.
Also at Races at Baypark & pukekoe on one or two ocassions during the GTX series.

Grant Sprague
04-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Geeee was Barry only 41 when he past , I remember him well , the green Falcon , seemed very big time in those days , Wayne;s car was also fast also [noddy] If i remember right Barry was a hard doer, I was about 18 yr old , Barry always a happy go chap... & then there was Inky he had a go , in an xagt ....... out of the SI guys Wayne extracted the best of these cars .......Know doubt about that

kiwi285
05-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Hopefully some of these cars might be on display at Lakeside in July.

Carlo
05-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Geeee was Barry only 41 when he past , I remember him well , the green Falcon , seemed very big time in those days , Wayne;s car was also fast also [noddy] If i remember right Barry was a hard doer, I was about 18 yr old , Barry always a happy go chap... & then there was Inky he had a go , in an xagt ....... out of the SI guys Wayne extracted the best of these cars .......Know doubt about that

John Christie still has his XA GT which of course was the one that Inks drove for him. He also spent quite a bit of time looking after BJ too.

TonyG
05-18-2013, 07:56 AM
Hopefully some of these cars might be on display at Lakeside in July.

Lets hope that they get asked to bring them. Have not heard that Bowdens have been asked to bring anything yet.

Phil
08-13-2014, 07:41 PM
Jim Richards is racing the coupe in the "Pool 200" at Manfield. I think Jerry Clayton was owner at time. The car is a genuine RPO83. I bought the car in 1980 as a road car and for the first few years I raced it I used to drive it to the race meeting but after breaking gearbox input shaft at Bay Park I started to modify it bit by bit and trailer it to meetings. I have raced it in quite a few different classes over the years and still give it a few runs at Auckland Car Club meetings at Pukekohe and Hampton Downs. Phil Schubert

John McKechnie
08-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Phil- was this Craigys car before you?
Its always great to see your car at race meetings still being used.
Craigs black one still just sits and sits .

Steve Holmes
08-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Jim Richards is racing the coupe in the "Pool 200" at Manfield. I think Jerry Clayton was owner at time. The car is a genuine RPO83. I bought the car in 1980 as a road car and for the first few years I raced it I used to drive it to the race meeting but after breaking gearbox input shaft at Bay Park I started to modify it bit by bit and trailer it to meetings. I have raced it in quite a few different classes over the years and still give it a few runs at Auckland Car Club meetings at Pukekohe and Hampton Downs. Phil Schubert

Thanks Phil, thats great info.

Bryan
08-14-2014, 03:03 AM

Have a few photos of Barry and Jimmy Little racing at Ruapuna and Levels in the SIPS series, and the Southern 200 at Ruapuna, in the early '80s. At Wigram too, iirc.

tmann
08-15-2014, 02:34 AM
The Barry Lloyd car as shown in post #12 is owned by a guy near Dunedin, He has had it for 20 + years, is used but not often.

Rascal
08-15-2014, 04:42 AM

No ., he was retired & in his 60s when he died, the info & the pic above , that I had submitted are from a "WHOS WHO" section in a mid -late 1970s motorsport yearbook.

Phil
11-06-2014, 01:07 PM
Phil- was this Craigys car before you?
Its always great to see your car at race meetings still being used.
Craigs black one still just sits and sits .
I nearly bought the coupe off Jerry Clayton in 1976 for $6,800.00 but bought Ph 3 GTHO instead. I eventually bought the Coupe off Craig on xmas day 1980. Last raced it 3 weeks ago and giving it another run in 9 days.

225sloper
11-07-2014, 04:19 AM
Photos taken 3 weeks ago at Pukekohe265552655626557

Rod Grimwood
11-17-2014, 03:44 AM
Phils Falcon has to be one of the most and best travelled on race tracks around NZ, especially the N.I. Always looking for that little bit more speed and handling, they would have forgotten more than most think they now about Falcon Coupes.
Best is, it looks mean and is.

John McKechnie
11-17-2014, 04:07 AM
Rod- not only that, think of all the classes it has run in.
Also would have to qualify as the longest owner/ driver raced car in NZ.
Why would you want to change.
That rear spoiler should be standard on any Falcon Coupe

kiwi285
11-17-2014, 07:31 AM
That Falcon Coupe sure is a horny looking machine. On the circuit it always look so stable and well set up.

It is a mean machine in all senses of the word.

gianttalkinghead
11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
I just love Phils RPO83, what a magnificent beast of a racecar it is - I have been passed many times by that machine on the front straight of Hampton or back straight at puke like I was standing still! looks good, sounds awesome, goes great

gianttalkinghead
11-23-2014, 10:27 PM
BTW i see the Craig Pullin coupe was up at Ken Hoppers a few weeks ago and I spoke to Ken last week about it and he said that Ivan had them get it running for him so maybe we will see that out on the track shortly?

John McKechnie
11-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Cam- both these Coupes have been invited to run with us in the HSS - BTW ,have you got your entry organized yet.
Craigys ex-XB Coupe is having the necessary paper work attended to.
Ivan wants to be on the grid for the 2 weekends in Jan- hes had it now for 8 years.

Oldfart
11-24-2014, 05:53 AM
Also would have to qualify as the longest owner/ driver raced car in NZ.

Would it John? I can think of a few cars that have been owned by the same driver, and raced by them since before the Falcon was built :)

Rod Grimwood
11-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Would it John? I can think of a few cars that have been owned by the same driver, and raced by them since before the Falcon was built :)

Ok, one of the longest combinations.

1BAD GT
11-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Orange xb gt no 66 now living on the gold coast

crockett
05-10-2017, 07:55 AM
George Sheweiry, Brett Walker, Gary Douglas (XA on fence)? liegh derrick in the fence

NZnoboss
05-12-2017, 03:09 AM
The Barry Lloyd car as shown in post #12 is owned by a guy near Dunedin, He has had it for 20 + years, is used but not often.

Correct. I know the present owner, but not well. Back when he bought it we went and had a look at it. I have photos and some video of the car tucked away that I should try and find. It sounded awesome! It's an RPO 83 and I wouldn't think it would have anything more than 35K miles on it. It is mint! I don't recall it having any panel damage on it at all when he bought it, and I'm sure the photos would confirm that. It's a pretty incredible car and is certainly in the right hands.
Cheers,
Bob.

mark powell
05-16-2017, 06:32 AM
I ended up with the original bonnet that had the first 1 1/4 inch folded down on the front middle after tapping if I remember George Sheweiry at Bay Park