PDA

View Full Version : Born 20 years too late! HI

minihaha
01-07-2012, 02:54 AM
As the title suggests I have been told many times that I was born 20 years too late and that the best of NZ motor racing and classic car culture has past. But this site and others like it around the world are proof otherwise. Even in the nolstalgic Hot Rod Scene the following is huge. Although I was born 20 years too late. I was born in 1975 and so have enjoyed a LOT of good motorsport in my youth, on TV mainly but I was also lucky enough to be taken to the Nissan Mobil many times as a kid. I did my first sprint on my learners licence in a std 1100 mini clubman. I have always been drawn towards the classic or older cars and I enjoy just about anything that races. I'm most fascinated with cars built in sheds and barns out of whatever was to hand, and how even though there was no internet and probably only periodicals with few photos from the other side of the world for inspiration, Nzers still built world class and world beating cars. Massively inspiring stuff, thank you to all of you who weren't born 20 years too late!! Oh yeah, I've had mini's for years and run a 1962 Mk1 in hillclimbs and some classic racing. I'm also farting around with a 1959 A40 Farina for something different. Most people call me Mikey.

Rod Grimwood
01-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Mikey, you were not born too late, it is perfect timing as you can take over keeping the classics movement going when we have finished. (which is a while away i hope)
What are you thinking of doing with the Farina

minihaha
01-08-2012, 02:34 AM
The Farina was bought to become something different to drive around at the weekends instead of my daily hack. I've had it a few years and ideas have changed a couple of times. Recently I see that Oldfart and cohorts are looking at a pre dec 1960 which looked like a go. But in reality I already have the Mini for competition duties. That thread has reminded me of how much fun it is to scoot around in and the looks that you get so I am actually on here because I'm taking a break from removing the tired engine an box today so I can get the engine bay ready for a small upgrade to 1275.

Rod Grimwood
01-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Hint: Keep it as original as you can. Put on some brakes and shocks along with nice radials, and a reliable engine but keep it looking standard. Then you have a good weekender. Good luck

Steve Holmes
01-09-2012, 05:51 AM
Mikey, welcome to the site, its great to have you here. Your cars sound great! I have a real soft spot for the Farina's. Isn't Minihaha a Scalextric car?

minihaha
01-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Minihaha is the matchbox car. It came out the same year I was born,