PDA

View Full Version : More Wikipedia Pages?

WikiNerd
01-08-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi all.

I've been lurking and reading. I've nothing to contribute really, but I watched lots of Pukekohe racing during the 70s and early 80s when I "was a lad". But my memory is sketchy and I can't contribute details.

My only reason for registering is that I've been disappointed by the content of some Wikipedia pages on the topic of NZ racing. E.g. there wasn't a Ken Smith article at all. I've written a very rough version of a Ken Smith page, which is awaiting approval (not yet visible), but hopefully should be up soon.

Some international drivers such as Graeme McRae have pages, but pretty much contain nothing but their F1 and Indy results, which don't say much.

I was thinking that perhaps some more NZ racing content could be added.

Very impressed by people restoring the classic racing cars and driving them BTW.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to write the pages solely by myself, but might be able to contribute here and there.

BTW: I'm an expat Kiwi living in the UK.

Steve Holmes
01-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Welcome to The Roaring Season! Its really great to have you here. I'm sure you'll find you can contribute more than you realise. Your Wiki efforts are appreciated. I hope you'll find info on here that will help you.

Russ Cunningham
01-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Welcome to The Roaring Season! Its really great to have you here. I'm sure you'll find you can contribute more than you realise. Your Wiki efforts are appreciated. I hope you'll find info on here that will help you.

To add to what Steve has said: 'Welcome" and share your memories.
That's what the TRS is about.

Russ

WikiNerd
01-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks. I started a page on Ken Smith. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Smith_%28racing_driver%29

It's been approved, and someone else has cleaned it up a little and added an information box. In the information box, they've changed his name to "Kenith Smith", and added his full birthday. Is he really a "Kenith Smith"? I've never seen him described as anything else than a "Ken" or "Kenny", and I don't know where they got his full birthday, I could only find his birth year.

If anyone has any references giving more information on Kenny Smith, then the entry can be expanded. But, I was disappointed to find nothing. David Oxton, on the other hand, has a very good page

Jim Richards' page only seems to mention his Australian exploits. I'm hoping to chase down some more information, e.g. his results in the B&H 500/1000 races, to add a New Zealand dimension.

This all has to be done with research, though the history. My own memories are very fuzzy. I'm sure I saw a New Zealand GP where it was expected that David Oxton was going to be the first NZ resident driver to win, but his car conked out on the parade lap. And I'm sure I remember Paul Fahey driving what was going to be one of his last races or something, and crashing on the last straight. My memory (demonstrably inaccurate in many cases) is that we went and looked at the car later and I remember cracked fibreglass wheel arches. That's the sort of level I remember.

TonyG
12-08-2012, 11:29 PM
Welcome. Your memory re the Fahey incident matches mine. It was during the last race of the day at Puke, appropriately called "The Paul Fahey Flying Farewell" and he literally flew after ending up on the grass coming down to the start finish line. The car launched over a dirt mound near the track crossing point and crashed back to the ground before sliding to a stop near the finish line. Scary stuff.