PDA

View Full Version : Australian Sports Sedans Database - Histories And Whereabouts

Steve Holmes
01-14-2012, 11:30 PM
As per Peter Nelsons Sports Sedans thread, lets start a thread dedicated to Australian Sports Sedans, documenting as many cars as we can for future reference. We'll try to include as much info on each car as possible, including build dates, details, modifications, race wins and championships, photos, and ultimate fate. Cars can be either still in existence, scrapped, or current whereabouts unknown. Sports Sedans were officially recognised by CAMS from 1973 onwards, but we'll also include earlier Sports Racing Closed (pre-Sports Sedans). Cut-off date is 1990, ie, cars must have been built before 1990.

Steve Holmes
01-14-2012, 11:58 PM

One of my all-time favourite Aussie tin-top racers. Bob Janes amazing HQ Holden Monaro. The car was actually built not for Sports Sedan racing, but to compete in the ATCC under Improved Production rules. It ran a fuel injected small block Chevy, and 15" x 10" Minilites. Work began on the car in late 1971, and it made its ATCC debut in the penultimate round of the 1972 ATCC at Surfers Paradise, driven by John Harvey, where it finished 2nd behind team boss Bob Jane. Harvey drove it again in the final at Oran Park, where it ran 2nd for a while until it struck brake problems.

When CAMS dropped Improved Production and introduced Sports Sedans for 1973, the Monaro was raced in this, mostly unchanged from its Improved Production guise. Throughout the 70s it was changed to keep pace with the competition, but Jane rarely ventured away from Calder Park. He did run the full Sports Sedan championship in 1977, finishing 2nd to Frank Gardners Chev Corvair. Peter Brock drove the car in a one-off appearance at Calder in 1978.

The car was then sold to Phil Ward, who raced it from 1979 to 1981, before it was sold to Tino Leo, who owned the car until 2004, when Des Wall bought it and spent a lot of time and money having it restored back to its original 1972 Improved production guise.

bry3500
01-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Ok ..I'll get the ball rolling
Mike Ceveri had the car stored for years in a container
went up for sale recently on my105.com
Body shell ex- Don Smith OXO team Sierra
Ford Sierra Sports Sedan - Complete as raced. Championship winning car. 350 Chev – mid mount, MoTec fuel inject. LG600 Hewland 5 spd transaxle w numerous ratios 3 sets Wheels. K&A Eng frt & rr susp w Koni adj shocks. Sell complete w all spares & moulds for fibreglass panels. Tandem trailer incl
$75000.00 (AUD)

bry3500
01-15-2012, 09:44 AM

One of my all-time favourite Aussie tin-top racers. Bob Janes amazing HQ Holden Monaro. The car was actually built not for Sports Sedan racing, but to compete in the ATCC under Improved Production rules. It ran a fuel injected small block Chevy, and 15" x 10" Minilites. Work began on the car in late 1971, and it made its ATCC debut in the penultimate round of the 1972 ATCC at Surfers Paradise, driven by John Harvey, where it finished 2nd behind team boss Bob Jane. Harvey drove it again in the final at Oran Park,
where it ran 2nd for a while until it struck brake problems.

Tino Leo

When CAMS dropped Improved Production and introduced Sports Sedans for 1973, the Monaro was raced in this, mostly unchanged from its Improved Production guise. Throughout the 70s it was changed to keep pace with the competition, but Jane rarely ventured away from Calder Park. He did run the full Sports Sedan championship in 1977, finishing 2nd to Frank Gardners Chev Corvair. Peter Brock drove the car in a one-off appearance at Calder in 1978.

The car was then sold to Phil Ward, who raced it from 1979 to 1981, before it was sold to Tino Leo, who owned the car until 2004, when Des Wall bought it and spent a lot of time and money having it restored back to its original 1972 Improved production guise.

The car as raced by Tino Leo

bry3500
01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Restored by Andrew Keiller and up for sale
$550,000 AUD

Description from owner Paul Halstead

In 1984 my company, De Tomaso Australia, exported Australian made 351 Cleveland V8’s to Italy for the worldwide production of De Tomaso’s. As a result of the export credits earned, I was able to import the range of De Tomaso’s in KDF at reduced duty.

We subsequently assembled these cars adding the Australian V8 and then sold them through my retail outlet called the Toy Shop. We had a large team of mechanics, machinists and engineers as we also serviced Lamborghini’s, Ferrari’s etc and built, modified and serviced race cars.

In 1985, I ordered a lightweight body from De Tomaso as the basis for building a car to run in the Australian GT Championship. The body that was received did not meet our requirements by way of quality, and so our designer, Barry Lock (formerly of McLaren) presented a plan to build a full “ground effects” car using the world’s best technology and products. The planned car used the minimum De Tomaso parts required by CAMS for the car to meet the rules of the GT category.

In 1986, the resultant race car called “La Pantera Bianca” or White Panther, in its’ first part year of racing, won all five races contested.

In its final GT championship race at Winton Victoria, the GT cars were joined by the (in theory) faster Sports cars. The Australian gold star champion, Kevin Bartlett, in just his fourth start in the Pantera, lapped the entire field.

In 1987, as we were preparing to contest the full GT Championship, the rules were changed. Rather than destroy our work of art to meet the new restrictive rules, I retired the car undefeated. Today, if the Pantera was allowed to run in the GT class, it would obliterate them!

As I am now too old and certainly not fast enough to do the car justice, I have decided to sell the Pantera including all patterns, drawings and spare parts.

Steve Holmes
01-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Thats great Bry! I remember when that Ceveri Sierra first appeared, it caused a real stir, being built around a Cosworth bodyshell, which was still new in Group A. I think from memory the OXO car the body came from was rolled in an ATCC round, the Group A car re-shelled, the rolled body went to Ceveri.

bry3500
01-16-2012, 08:27 AM
Tony Edmondson's V8 BMW 2002 circa 1973.
The Don Elliot owned car used a 4.4 litre Repco V8
It has been reported that it ended up in Western Australia with David Drew.

B&W Pic ..Tony Edmonson BMW Repco 4.4 V8 Baskerville 1973
photo: oldracephotos.com/Harrisson.

Powder
01-16-2012, 08:43 AM

That's awesome. The side intakes look pretty big for just rear brakes, so did it have side radiators?
If so, that's pretty advanced for a sedan in 1973.

Malcolm.

bry3500
01-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Frank Gardners Corvair enforced a Cams rule change regarding Engine - gearbox configurations in Sports Sedans. One man caught out by the change of rules was Alan Gissing, his very quick turbo charged Holden 6 Dauphine deemed ineligible overnight.
Engine produced about 500HP

Alan Gissing Renault Dauphine/Holden S/sedan Sandown 1978
oldracephotos.com/N Hammond

Steve Holmes
01-16-2012, 09:54 PM

Hey Bry, great addition. Do you know if the BMW was raced as an Improved Production car before being built into a Sports Sedan, like the Foley Alfa? It was a terrifying thing apparently, but Elliot soon replaced it with the John McCormack Repco Charger, which itself would make way for a couple of V8 Alfa's. I don't think the BMW ever raced outside of Tasmania when Elliot owned it.

Steve Holmes
01-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Frank Gardners Chey Corvair enforced a Cams rule change regarding Engine - gearbox configurations in Sports Sedans. One man caught out by the change of rules was Alan Gissing, his very quick turbo charged Holden 6 Dauphine deemed ineligible overnight.
Engine produced about 500HP

Alan Gissing Renault Dauphine/Holden S/sedan Sandown 1978
oldracephotos.com/N Hammond

Interesting car Bry. I think the CAMS ruling was introduced from 1980 wasn't it? The Corvair last raced in '79, driven by Allan Grice. But thats an ambitious race car, given the power train layout, and the fact its turbo-charged. Do you know what happenend to it? Was it torn apart or just pushed into a corner of his garage?

bry3500
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Fiat 500 Abarth body shell and raced in the early 80s
Also raced in S.E. Asia
Engine a worked 12A Rotary with Hewland sequential Gearbox
Elfin F5000 suspension uprights and wishbones
Fully rebuilt, crashed, rebuilt and running again

http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=alB2C6Wq1ms

bry3500
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKtjPzhEmMI

bry3500
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
The Harry Lefoe Hillman Imp V8 raced between 1973 and 1978 before it was comprehensively destroyed in a roll over down the back straight at Sandown.
It is believed the remains were dumped.
Powered by a full house Ford Cobra V8 sitting in the back seat area, it reputedly produced over 500HP with 400 lb ft of torque..
Said to be able to lift it's front wheels and with handling best described as extreme, the Lefoe Imp has achieved a cult like status with Aussie Sports Sedan followers
PICS 1 2 and 3 Pics by Mark Bishop of Wodonga Vic ( thanks Ellis)
Pic 4 Ray Sinclair

bry3500
01-22-2012, 06:37 AM
Initially entering Drag Racing, Maurice Rissman built and raced highly modified cars & bikes taking many victories and twice breaking national class records. His engineering creativity attracted interest from the circuit racing fraternity for whom he designed, built, and modified, several avant-garde sports-sedans, During 1978 the engineering freedoms afforded to this field of racing lead to the design and construction of what was arguably Australia’s first full space-framed racing sedan, based upon a 1979 Ford Falcon.

Maurice built the Alfa for Peter Cross

"it had full tunnels fluted into the underside and running rearward from
a high pressure area under the front axle. I tried a few variations of
sliding skirts but the rough surface of Lakeside, combined with inferior
dampening of poor quality shocks made it impossible to maximise the
potential.
In the end we settled for heavy poly carbonate sacrificial
strips under each side.
It was a fabulous little car and out performed a lot of it's bigger competition, but suffered up high. The small block Windsor just can't breathe enough to satisfy the high rev nature of the bore & stroke.
That's why Ford developed the Boss cylinder heads on the later variation of the same engine we developed way back then."

It did several races at Surfers & Lakeside and also Mt Cotton hillclimb .
The fate and current whereabouts unknown

aussiemonza
01-24-2012, 11:59 AM
The Harry Lefoe Hillman Imp V8 raced between 1973 and 1978 before it was comprehensively destroyed in a roll over down the back straight at Sandown.
It is believed the remains were dumped.
Powered by a full house Ford Cobra V8 sitting in the back seat area, it reputedly produced over 500HP with 400 lb ft of torque..
Said to be able to lift it's front wheels and with handling best described as extreme, the Lefoe Imp has achieved a cult like status with Aussie Sports Sedan followers
PICS 1 2 and 3 Pics by Mark Bishop of Wodonga Vic ( thanks Ellis)
Pic 4 Ray Sinclair

Last owner I knew of the Lefoe IMP was Neil West, had a Shell Servo in Mooroolbark. Was it Neil that slam-dunked it at Sandown?

TonyG
01-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Love the "P" plate on the Alfa

Steve Holmes
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Initially entering Drag Racing, Maurice Rissman built and raced highly modified cars & bikes taking many victories and twice breaking national class records. His engineering creativity attracted interest from the circuit racing fraternity for whom he designed, built, and modified, several avant-garde sports-sedans, During 1978 the engineering freedoms afforded to this field of racing lead to the design and construction of what was arguably Australia’s first full space-framed racing sedan, based upon a 1979 Ford Falcon.

Maurice built the Alfa for Peter Cross

"it had full tunnels fluted into the underside and running rearward from
a high pressure area under the front axle. I tried a few variations of
sliding skirts but the rough surface of Lakeside, combined with inferior
dampening of poor quality shocks made it impossible to maximise the
potential.
In the end we settled for heavy poly carbonate sacrificial
strips under each side.
It was a fabulous little car and out performed a lot of it's bigger competition, but suffered up high. The small block Windsor just can't breathe enough to satisfy the high rev nature of the bore & stroke.
That's why Ford developed the Boss cylinder heads on the later variation of the same engine we developed way back then."

It did several races at Surfers & Lakeside and also Mt Cotton hillclimb .
The fate and current whereabouts unknown

The workmanship on that car is amazing! Are any of the subsequent owners known Bry?

bry3500
01-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Steve..I contacted Maurice Rissman to get the details about the ground effects..he has no idea what happened to it

Steve Holmes
01-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Can he remember who raced it after he sold it Bry?

bry3500
01-25-2012, 03:42 AM
Can he remember who raced it after he sold it Bry?
Maurice never raced it..he built the car for Peter Cross,,the blue stickers on the front of the car read...Peter Cross forward detailer..
Maurice has a fine pedigree of building cars which includes Group C Touring Cars -( John English Ford XD Falcon), Group A Touring Cars with Mitsubishi Motors Japan, Sports Prototypes - working for the Rothmans Porsche Team.
He also worked in Japan involved with Toyota’s Group A Corolla and has done a lot of work with open- wheelers.

Steve Holmes
01-25-2012, 04:12 AM
So no clues as to who Peter Cross sold it to Bry?

I met John English on the weekend. Neat guy, and still a bloody good peddler. He was telling me about his two Group C Falcons. He said one was built from the Dick Johnson 'rock' shell, the second was the Moffat Federation Insurance car. I assume Maurice built up the Johnson shell for English?

bry3500
01-25-2012, 04:25 AM
No clues yet about Peter Cross..I'm on to it ;)..I'll ask Maurice about the Johnson shell. His description is " the infamous ‘wall-eating’ John English/Paul Gulson Pye Audio Ford XD Falcon"

bry3500
01-25-2012, 06:43 AM
The car (JXC806D in Leyland Spec) started as a new 3500 Auto shell in 1970 and was put together at Abingdon BL Competitions Department , painted Leyland blue and white, and fitted with a Traco Olds engine out of another Works car (JXC808D).
The car raced at Nurburgring, before Jim Smith went to England and bought the car with financial assistance from BL Australia subsidiary.
His purchase included both Rover V8 factory racing engines.
In 1972 Smith got sponsorship from Shell and Camel Filter Cigarettes and the P6 was painted yellow with a 550 bhp 5 litre Repco Formula 5000 unit .
Smith sold the car to the Jarrett brothers who sold it in 1976 to David Craig and changed from yellow to blue. The Rover was severely damaged in a garage fire,
In December 1984 it was sold through Auto Action magazine to a Sydney enthusiast, but there the trail goes quiet..

As seen on another forum,,"A request from the current owner of this car - if anyone knows the whereabouts of the CAMS log books could they please get in touch through the webmaster. It is a possibility that the Camel spec log book was lost in a fire where the car was housed, but the log book for the Traco engined Leyland Australia spec is also missing.

TonyG
01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
No clues yet about Peter Cross..I'm on to it ;)..I'll ask Maurice about the Johnson shell. His description is " the infamous ‘wall-eating’ John English/Paul Gulson Pye Audio Ford XD Falcon"
So are we talking about the real version of this car which was at the Lakeside 50th meeting.
http://i448.photobucket.com/albums/qq204/TGPhotography/50th%20Anniversary%20of%20Touring%20Cars%20-%20Legends/LS007-4.jpg

bry3500
01-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes. it was Neil who did the slam dunking...I think the car was painted light brown at that stage
Last owner I knew of the Lefoe IMP was Neil West, had a Shell Servo in Mooroolbark. Was it Neil that slam-dunked it at Sandown?

Steve Holmes
01-26-2012, 10:32 PM
A car I've long been interested in as much for its mystique than anything was Warwick Hendersons Corvette. The car raced in the 1982 Australian GT/Sports Sedan Championship, although it only made a couple of appearances and wasn't near the pace of Alan Jones' Porsche 935 or Peter Brocks Monza etc, but the car itself is still quite interesting. Maybe Rowan knows more about it? The 1982 Australian Motor Racing Annual suggests the Corvette was ex-IMSA, but this pic shows it was rhd. I got this from the Corvettes of Geelong website: http://www.corvettesofgeelong.com/desktop_calendar_2006.html

timbo61
02-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Looking through a copy of the 1982 Australian Motor Racing Yearbook, Henderson's corvette only competed at the Calder round of the 1982 GT Championship, and after a troubled qualifying, was last on the grid and recorded a DNF in heat one when an oil line came adrift, and retired in heat two in a cloud of smoke.
Checking through Natsoft results, Warwick Henderson turned up at the 2002 Historic Sandown meeting, again driving a Corvette (what else) but had another troubled meeting. After that, who knows?

bry3500
02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Apparently still owned by his son

aussiemonza
02-07-2012, 05:05 AM
A car I've long been interested in as much for its mystique than anything was Warwick Hendersons Corvette. The car raced in the 1982 Australian GT/Sports Sedan Championship, although it only made a couple of appearances and wasn't near the pace of Alan Jones' Porsche 935 or Peter Brocks Monza etc, but the car itself is still quite interesting. Maybe Rowan knows more about it? The 1982 Australian Motor Racing Annual suggests the Corvette was ex-IMSA, but this pic shows it was rhd. I got this from the Corvettes of Geelong website: http://www.corvettesofgeelong.com/desktop_calendar_2006.html

My memory is that Warwick built the Corvette here (Geelong) and used a set of Greenwood panels from the US. A give-away is RHD.

Steve Holmes
02-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah I figured it was probably Aussie built. The rhd and wheels are the tell-tale signs. Still an interesting car, although in 1982, even Peter Brock driving Bob Janes immense Chevy Monza still wasn't a match for Allan Jones' 935. So what hope did the rest of those guys have. I think Jones won every single race that season.

Steve Holmes
02-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Whatever happened to the Peter Finch/Gordon Stephenson HQ Monaro sports sedan that raced in the early 80s? was a nice looking car. Spent some time in WA.

mid-year
03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
Did Warick ever race the Corvette in the US as suggested in this old copy ( nov 1981 ) Corvette club newsletter? Also would anyone have some photos of it in it,s origianl configuration?70267027

thunder427
03-31-2012, 02:23 AM
The 'Camels Hump' Rover!!!.....Chris Farrell was the 'Alloy/Hammer-n-Dolly' guru (Moffat/Beechey/Jane and about every early Alloy Dragsters body of the time) had me assisting him this particular Friday on the Camel 'Hump' making some mods for the Saturday/Sunday Calder 'Sports Sedan' meeting, remember these where the days of no Thurs/Friday 'Pre' ,practise, just show up Saturday and qualify of the trailer

....so it's like 11.clock at night, pick up is around 7oclock in the morn.,we hav'nt eaten as we had no money,job completed/ done ,(we will probably get payed in 30 days)clearing a path for the 'Hump' for loading on trailer when Chris steps over the Oxy line that is swinging in an arch from the tall 5ft bottle to the work bench, boot tounge catch's the Oxy line....Craaasssssh.....Boof!!!.....Wham,turns the boot lid inside out!!! ....f;: #%^*+¥€^%#}|][<£^%><ck......7 o'clock pick-up Chris had waved his Magic Wand ,I had waved the spray gun...Presto!!!!!.....WHAT DAMAGE!!! .....still hadn't eaten .........regards thunder427/MJ ..........the Rover got very serverly 'rear-ended' at Calder when it wasin it's 'Blue' livery........I didnt hear about the fire!

thunder427
03-31-2012, 04:27 AM
A car I've long been interested in as much for its mystique than anything was Warwick Hendersons Corvette. The car raced in the 1982 Australian GT/Sports Sedan Championship, although it only made a couple of appearances and wasn't near the pace of Alan Jones' Porsche 935 or Peter Brocks Monza etc, but the car itself is still quite interesting. Maybe Rowan knows more about it? The 1982 Australian Motor Racing Annual suggests the Corvette was ex-IMSA, but this pic shows it was rhd. I got this from the Corvettes of Geelong website: http://www.corvettesofgeelong.com/desktop_calendar_2006.html.
5722 ..........Steve, Warwick Henderson was the last of the, 'cause I can', thinking Generation,when I was building the Bob Jane Camaro I rang Warwick regarding his thoughts on Big Block /Exhaust /systems,his advise which I adhered to 100% was to only use USA/Hedman Headers,he went on to subjest the the Gen2 Camaro BB/ headers would be a better fit, they would flow better And I would have to modify two pipes on the right side as they would be to close to the firewall.....got to tell you he was absolutely spot on, Warwick knew his craft well, the sad part was by the time I got to perfect his instructions Warwick had the calling to the big race track in the sky.......thank you and RIP Warwick Henderson, racers racer and Gentleman........with regard thunder427/MJ

Steve Holmes
04-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Did Warick ever race the Corvette in the US as suggested in this old copy ( nov 1981 ) Corvette club newsletter? Also would anyone have some photos of it in it,s origianl configuration?70267027

Well thats interesting! I wonder if this ever happened?

Steve Holmes
04-03-2012, 10:04 PM
..........Steve, Warwick Henderson was the last of the, 'cause I can', thinking Generation,when I was building the Bob Jane Camaro I rang Warwick regarding his thoughts on Big Block /Exhaust /systems,his advise which I adhered to 100% was to only use USA/Hedman Headers,he went on to subjest the the Gen2 Camaro BB/ headers would be a better fit, they would flow better And I would have to modify two pipes on the right side as they would be to close to the firewall.....got to tell you he was absolutely spot on, Warwick knew his craft well, the sad part was by the time I got to perfect his instructions Warwick had the calling to the big race track in the sky.......thank you and RIP Warwick Henderson, racers racer and Gentleman........with regard thunder427/MJ

Thanks Myles, he obviously new his stuff. Whatever happened to the Corvette?

Steve Holmes
04-03-2012, 10:05 PM
The 'Camels Hump' Rover!!!.....Chris Farrell was the 'Alloy/Hammer-n-Dolly' guru (Moffat/Beechey/Jane and about every early Alloy Dragsters body of the time) had me assisting him this particular Friday on the Camel 'Hump' making some mods for the Saturday/Sunday Calder 'Sports Sedan' meeting, remember these where the days of no Thurs/Friday 'Pre' ,practise, just show up Saturday and qualify of the trailer

....so it's like 11.clock at night, pick up is around 7oclock in the morn.,we hav'nt eaten as we had no money,job completed/ done ,(we will probably get payed in 30 days)clearing a path for the 'Hump' for loading on trailer when Chris steps over the Oxy line that is swinging in an arch from the tall 5ft bottle to the work bench, boot tounge catch's the Oxy line....Craaasssssh.....Boof!!!.....Wham,turns the boot lid inside out!!! ....f;: #%^*+¥€^%#}|][<£^%><ck......7 o'clock pick-up Chris had waved his Magic Wand ,I had waved the spray gun...Presto!!!!!.....WHAT DAMAGE!!! .....still hadn't eaten .........regards thunder427/MJ ..........the Rover got very serverly 'rear-ended' at Calder when it wasin it's 'Blue' livery........I didnt hear about the fire!

Shit Myles, times must have been tough if you guys couldn't even afford to eat!

TonyG
04-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Interesting clip of Kevin Bartlett in the Pantera at Oran Park in 1985.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjz_D3GVkc&feature=g-all-f&context=G2bb4a10FAAAAAAAAPAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE3yVGtt1YU&feature=g-all-f&context=G2335cd4FAAAAAAAAQAA

markec
05-13-2012, 11:54 PM

Steve Holmes
05-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Thanks Mark, those are cool! I've always loved the Tindal A9X. But that Carling RX7 was just wild! I assume Des Wall is in the ex-HDT Beast II?

markec
05-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I can Email you the complete article, to post on here it would be tiny.

gazza
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Here's a couple of pic's for the collection

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/FrankGardner.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/07JPCorvairPg36.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/img088.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/78005.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/img005.jpg

gazza
05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/img011.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/img009.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/img004.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/47.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/491026d4.jpg

gazza
05-14-2012, 12:15 PM
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/21.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/44.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/30.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/12.jpg

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/31.jpg

thunder427
05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Here's a couple of pic's for the collection

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/FrankGardner.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/img005.jpg

...Phil Ward 'Black' Escourt and in the X-Bob Jane Monaro

thunder427
05-14-2012, 01:17 PM
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/img004.jpg

...John Brigg's in the X- Red Dawson Monza

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/491026d4.jpg[/QUOTE]

....Bob Jane with the 'Race' overals at 1/2 mast.....Pat Purrcell with the 'Kleber' Tee Shirt and the worried look....Harvey Spencer, Team Mechanic who now lives in England where he very succesfully manages / tuitors young Formula One Talent...the soon to be re-painted Y.E.L.L.O.W Monaro,back to Red with 'Graphics'....my first 'Gig' for team Bob Jane!!!!..........thunder427/MJ

thunder427
05-14-2012, 01:38 PM
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/21.jpg

...the Bryan Thompson 'Sports Sedan' attack weapon !!!,what a great package !! he Nearly unseated Bob Janes dominence !!
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/44.jpg

....behind the x-Thompson VW,The Defoe 'IMP',extremely Quick requiring a very brave man to get it around cnrs!!!

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/12.jpg

..Bob Janes 'personal' Benz in outside the teams pit !!!!...that building is still there today,but much has changed over the years.
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo207/roadnrallythree/31.jpg

...Moffat in the seat,Ron the Harrop in the EH,possible the Bob Stevens Mustang in Blue over the Back.....where is 'Aussiemonza' when you need the facts??????.....huge Dirt Spectator Mound where these cars where originally parked now days (Melb City is directly behind Horizon) ...............Regards thunder427/MJ

markec
05-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Those are some seriously good Photo's

gazza
05-16-2012, 04:22 AM
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/HTC%20Tracks%20and%20Cars/10-1.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/HTC%20Tracks%20and%20Cars/35.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/HTC%20Tracks%20and%20Cars/51.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/HTC%20Tracks%20and%20Cars/55.jpg

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/HTC%20Tracks%20and%20Cars/59.jpg

Pete Geoghegan's Monaro ...... full story AMC No21

Thompsons VW AMC No40

bry3500
09-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Great thread and pics on the Gardner Corvair
http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=173453

Ellis
09-11-2012, 10:23 AM
The photos that Gazza has kindly posted belong to Perry Drury here in Launceston Tas.
He had them professionally converted at great expense and a credit showing him as the photographer
wouldnt go amiss.

Ellis

jnr356
09-11-2012, 11:26 AM
great memories,thanks for the pics:cool:

Steve Holmes
09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
One of the best, and most exciting of the earlier Aussie Sports Sedans was the HQ/HJ Monaro raced by Pete Geoghegan throughout the 1975 and '76 Australian Sports Sedan Championships. Here is an article I wrote about the car for The Roaring Season last year:

History has produced a number of burley racing cars, just as it has a number of burley racing drivers. But big Aussie Ian ‘Pete’ Geoghegan, and his booming HJ Monaro sports sedan were an effective, memorable combination, that combined both. For two spectacular seasons, in 1975 and ’76, Geoghegan and his Monaro were a formidable combination and crowd favorite.

Geoghegan had taken a step back in his motor racing efforts following the conclusion of the 1972 Australian Touring Car Championship. Having won the ATCC five times by that stage, he sold his powerful but often ill-handling XY GT Falcon, the last car he’d contested the old outgoing Improved Production category with, and would spend the rest of an erratic racing career driving other peoples cars.

With the rapid emergence in Australia of Sports Sedan racing in the early 1970s, and the rich prize purses on offer, teams scrambled to build ever-more radical machinery to take advantage of the relaxed rules, and steal a share of the rewards. Oran Park, near Sydney, was the first race track in Australia to fully embrace the wild Sports Sedan machines, and in 1972 they announced a 5 round series at the track, with menswear brand Toby Lee and the Grace Bros department store chain tipping in A$15,000 prize money. The following year, they doubled their investment to $30,000.

Geoghegan entered the Toby Lee series in 1973, driving a Porsche 911 owned by wealthy businessman Laurie O’Neil. The sophisticated little Porsche’s were formidable on the challenging Oran Park layout against the V8 competition, and 911 pilot Bill Brown almost won the series. But O’Neil knew he’d have to invest heavily for 1974, to give Geoghegan any chance against opposition that was both more purposeful, and expensive, and set about having John Sheppard build him a new Holden HQ Monaro coupe. Sheppard had already built a number of very successful racing sedans, including Geoghegans ATCC winning (1966, 67, 68, 69) Mustangs, and Bob Janes HQ Monaro and ATCC winning (1971, 72) ZL1 Camaro.

Steve Holmes
09-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Part 2:

After its encouraging debut, the ambitious plans for 1975 didn’t quite pan out. The car was to run the full Oran Park and Calder series’, but appearances and results were spasmodic and the Monaro suffered a spate of mechanical failures. Over the offseason the car was rebuilt, and underwent a radical transformation with the addition of huge box flared guards, and broad full-width rear spoiler, which made the already big car look even larger. Also, the nose of the Monaro was reverted back to earlier HQ guise, as demanded by CAMS, as the HJ model wasn’t available as standard with the 350ci Chevy motor.

For 1976, the Confederation for Australian Motorsport (CAMS) announced Sports Sedans would finally get Australian championship recognition, and a 7 round national championship was conducted. Geoghegan missed round 1, but finished second in round 2 at Sandown, behind Allan Moffats new IMSA DeKon Monza, beating the Monza in the second heat. Mechanical failures at the next two rounds brought no points, while a troubled round 5 at Adelaide netted fifth. And that was the last appearance the car made in the ’76 ASSC. Geoghegan made two appearances in the 1976 Marlboro series at Calder Park, finishing second to Frank Gardners rapid new Chev Corvair in round 3, while not making the finish in the opening round.

The car was fast, and there was no doubting Geoghegans ability behind the wheel, but the project had been a series of frustrations that fell well short of its potential.

At the end of the season, O’Neil put the Monaro on the market, and was purchased by current Australian V8 Supercar team owner Garry Rogers, to replace his rapid Ford Escort. The Monaro was raced throughout the 1970s and into the ‘80s by various owners, before eventually being retired. Amazingly, the car was modified little beyond its 1976 configuration, although mechanical components were replaced at various times.

Big Pete Geoghegans wild Monaro is currently undergoing a full restoration, thankfully to its original, and more appealing, 1975 configuration.

Thanks to Roaring Season members Ellis and Faminz for their contributions to this thread.

Steve Holmes
09-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Plus some related video which I must have watched 100 times!

Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77wOVQqRXY&amp;feature=player_embedded

Steve Holmes
09-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnA0WJCKebE&amp;feature=player_embedded

bry3500
09-12-2012, 06:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MuHhkBQ0&feature=related

thunder427
09-12-2012, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=gazza;14035]Here's a couple of pic's for the collection

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/happyhorsey/Sports%20Sedans/07JPCorvairPg36.jpg

..Guy with back to the Camera,Mick 'Spiderman' Webb, talking to the late John Anderson,who went on to be very sucessfull in the USA motorsport world......thunder427/MJ:cool:

Steve Holmes
09-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks for that info Myles. So was the Corvair outlawed by CAMS, rather than voluntarily retired by Gardner? Gardner had Grice in a BMW for 1980.

Here is Gardner in the Corvair at Bay Park, in late 1976, during its NZ visit, chasing Jack Nazers Victor Chevy.

rogered
09-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Ya Know that photo says a lot about the cars (and drivers)
Off my head i dont know the result, but Gardner is a season world class pro in effectivley a fairly current F5000 with a body on top., BEHIND a "home made" front engined driven car by a Weekend Amature (albeit a pretty good one) The combo right behind is about the same.

bry3500
01-12-2013, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04XX0p1fYI

bry3500
01-12-2013, 03:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9srHj9V9mVI&feature=related

Yeah yeah na
01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Nasty fire, good on the guys for sticking with it to get it out!

bry3500
06-28-2013, 04:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjz_D3GVkc

Steve Holmes
08-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Great to see the Holden Dealer Team Beast III is nearing completion of its restoration. The Torana is owned by the Wall family, and was raced by Des Wall in the 80s, and is part of a great collection of historic cars the family owns, including the Pete Geoghegan Mustang GTA, Bob Jane HQ Monaro, and Bob Jane/Bryan Thomson Chevy Monza which was re-bodied into a Toyota Supra in the 1990s. Such a shame Des Wall is no longer around to see this great car return to the track.

TonyG
08-13-2013, 09:00 PM
what is the car behind ? supra?

Steve Holmes
08-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Yep, thats right Tony, its the Supra, which was formerly the Bob Jane Monza. Its actually just undergone a big rebuild as well, although back to its Supra guise, not rebuilt back to the Monza.

bry3500
12-23-2021, 08:38 AM
http://autopartsandequipment.com/zac-brown-offers-mostert-drive-in-moffats-monza/?fbclid=IwAR2K2V0y-khltxqrJYoEUUIFbEcg8oy23x8E22aVDjDTzVOXHgxnfEpKn0w

Ray Bell
12-23-2021, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Steve Holmes
Thanks for that info Myles. So was the Corvair outlawed by CAMS, rather than voluntarily retired by Gardner?

Seeing as this has gone unanswered...

The Corvair was a bit of a stretch of the rules as it was, also true of the Thomson VW-Chev. They were hardly 'F5000s with bodies on top', however, though they naturally enough used F5000 running gear.

A previous 'wild' Sports Sedan which 'tested' the rules was the Laws brothers' Mini with Holden engine beside the driver and powering the front wheels via a VW gearbox. This sort of thing led to the regulations being formed and re-formed to suit the direction in which it was wanted that the class would progress.

Yes, it was a CAMS edict which led to the demolition of Tom Nailard's dream car. And led, directly or indirectly, to a rash of Alfetta GT lookalikes to keep the engines and transmissions in the right place with a suitable wheelbase ...etc.