PDA

View Full Version : This site is addictive!

Habu
03-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Hi All,

I found this site purely by chance, and must say that although I am probably a little younger than most of you, I am absolutely fascinated. The depth of knowledge and the information about events, races, cars and personalities is simply staggering.
A quick bit of info about me: I have had an association with motorsport most of my life, my father raced cars - primarily Minis in their infancy, and went on to be relatively successful I believe, at club level. He also raced Fiats and had associations with a few of the names I recognise mentioned on these forums. I had a brief association with karting in the 90's, spent a bit of time co-driving in rally cars, and dabbled in a bit of club circuit racing.
I have an interest in car racing from the 60's through to the 80's and find this site compelling. I have a few boxes of colour slides taken by my parents around the time my father was racing in the lates 60's to early 70's, and would love to share them with other people who would appreciate them.

Steve Holmes
03-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi there, and welcome to The Roaring Season. Brilliant to have you here. I'd really love to see your parents old collection of slides, I know these would be a big hit on here.

Habu
03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi Steve, havent looked at them for a long long time, and am not sure how to transfer them from slide to an electronic format (effectively or cheaply), but would be happy to share them. Theres some single seater stuff - graeme lawrence in the ferrari, maybe tasman series? Theres some saloon car stuff, and some pictures my father took when he helped? Alan Boyle when he was building the Viva. Theres other stuff too, but the memorys a bit hazy - proabably havent looked at them for nearly 20yrs. Cheers Allan

Steve Holmes
03-19-2012, 11:54 PM
The photos from the Steve Twist Collection on here are all from slides. I think Steve took them to a photo developer who transferred them all to cd for him.

stubuchanan
03-20-2012, 04:06 AM
The photos from the Steve Twist Collection on here are all from slides. I think Steve took them to a photo developer who transferred them all to cd for him.

You can buy a slide scanner for under $100 and do it yourself. Photo trade will probably charge you $3 a slide so if you have 30 plus slides, you're on a winner and you get to keep the scanner as well. In fact Trade Me could be full of them for all I know, from people who scanned all their old slides and have no further use for the scanner.

Stu the Scrooge

Habu
03-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advise, I will look into it. Ive definately got more than 30 slides - quite a few small "boxes" of the things. I'll jump onto TradeMe and have a look. Thanks also for the info about getting them put onto a Cd Steve. I called a local place, and they indicated that it would be 50cents per slide, so it looks like Stu's suggestion might be the preferred option. Cheers Allan

stubuchanan
03-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the advise, I will look into it. Ive definately got more than 30 slides - quite a few small "boxes" of the things. I'll jump onto TradeMe and have a look. Thanks also for the info about getting them put onto a Cd Steve. I called a local place, and they indicated that it would be 50cents per slide, so it looks like Stu's suggestion might be the preferred option. Cheers Allan

Allan, if you wanted to do a one-off scan of a few slides, I have used a digital camera :

http://s6.postimage.org/81zyecfht/Colour_Slides_005.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

In the absence of a scanner a few years back, I cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of an empty yoghurt tub, held it out at arm's length holding the slide over the hole with my finger and used my digital camera on Macro setting. Needs good lighting but not direct sun. Bit of a McGyver or Heath Robinson effort(Rube Goldberg if you are in USA), but if you crop the picture down it can look OK. But best to get a scanner!

Stu

Rod Grimwood
03-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Allan, my dad has a machine for doing slides to computor and disc. I am going to see if i can grab it for awhile, so will keep in touch.
Cheers
Rod

Steve Holmes
03-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Allan, if you wanted to do a one-off scan of a few slides, I have used a digital camera :

http://s6.postimage.org/81zyecfht/Colour_Slides_005.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

In the absence of a scanner a few years back, I cut a rectangular hole in the bottom of an empty yoghurt tub, held it out at arm's length holding the slide over the hole with my finger and used my digital camera on Macro setting. Needs good lighting but not direct sun. Bit of a McGyver or Heath Robinson effort(Rube Goldberg if you are in USA), but if you crop the picture down it can look OK. But best to get a scanner!

Stu

Stu, I'm thinking you've got a nice collection of old pics, judging by that slide! Are you keen to share? Or alternatively, do you have any from the 1972 NZ season?

stubuchanan
03-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Stu, I'm thinking you've got a nice collection of old pics, judging by that slide! Are you keen to share? Or alternatively, do you have any from the 1972 NZ season?

Collection runs from about 1958 to 1970, then a big gap to mid-80's and bits and pieces since then. Some but not all of the early colour slides have deteriorated somewhat, and b&w film wasn't stored carefully in Auckland's moist climate and pre 1965 or so negatives had to be dumped, but I still have the prints or proof sheets. Probably going to be busy for the next few days, but I will have a look at putting a few up when I can. There is some interesting stuff from the far fringes of the 50's and 60's.

Like this one maybe?

http://s6.postimage.org/o9fflw19t/Spa.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Stu

GD66
03-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Ripper, son ! Can't recall the last time someone put a Dormobile on pole at Spa !! :D

stubuchanan
03-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Ripper, son ! Can't recall the last time someone put a Dormobile on pole at Spa !! :D

Well, it was nearly 42 years ago, but I think it is still part of the normal road system. The Dormobile also did a lap of Montjuich circuit in Barcelona, which was all set up with banners and haybales for motorbike racing. No official times were taken. Those were real circuits.

Stu

Rod Grimwood
03-22-2012, 10:35 PM
Stu, I don't believe seeing the Dormobile as my father in law had one (maroon and white) and the kids when they were very young loved it (being dropped off to school etc) but as they got older they would not go near it because they reckoned the other kids laughed at them. It was a neat little thing and the Oldies went all over the place in it. We sold it about 15 years back in Paihia to a couple of tourists who were doing there big trip. Well thats a good start to your collection, bought memories back straight away, so please put up a thread and go for it. bet you have some good stuff.

Steve Holmes
03-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Wow, Stu, these look amazing! Can't believe you've held out on us this long. As Rod says, please start a dedicated thread when you can, I'd love to see these. And as for the problems with some having deteriorated, that doesn't matter. We will still enjoy them regardless.

Habu
03-23-2012, 02:08 AM
Stu, I am loving the No8 wire approach to the slide issue - I like the way you work! Agree with the general consensus that the sample slide you have shown is a beauty.
Rod, would be most interested in your progress with your Dads gear. Am going to dig out the slides tonight, and have a look to see what Ive got quantity wise.

Rod Grimwood
03-23-2012, 02:32 AM
Habu, he is away at moment but should know after weekend.
Cheers.

Habu
03-23-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the info Rod - much appreciated.

Just had a look tonight, I ve only got 58 slides motorsport related in total, much to my disappointment. Most of what I can see, based on the age of the slides, and some of the ones my Mum has written on seem to be 1965-68.

Will get a local photoshop to load them for me. Some nice photos, single seater stuff - Derek Bell (not G Lawrence as I thought), Graham Hill, but only cars by the look of it. Saloon cars, but mainly Minis. Most of it I dont know enough to recognise or comment on - so hoping others can fill in the blanks for me. Some stuff Id forgotten about of my Dads racing too (Wills 6hr when he partnered Roger Hood, and Hugh Kettlewell, and later of Fiat for B&H) - dont know if its all of interest. All in colour, so I guess thats a bonus.

Cheers Allan

David McKinney
03-23-2012, 02:07 PM
You've probably got photos of John Sheppard then:)

hilstwist
03-27-2012, 03:03 PM
I used a company which online is photobridge.com.They are in New Jersey USA,but for me only about an hour away from where I live.There prices are posted on the site and the quality is exellent!There were also a lot of negatives and photos they did, so my collection is a mix of all. I have one more batch to do and will give a copy to Steve H to post
:o

Habu
03-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Hi David - not too sure about John Sheppard, but hopefully theres stuff there that you will recognise, and will be of interest.
hilstwist - looking forward to seeing your slides, negatives and photos too :)
Am hoping to pick up the disc next week. Am travelling away, so may not be able to load them until after Easter weekend.
Cheers Allan

Habu
04-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Hi All,

First attempt to load one of my converted slides......

Habu
04-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Dont know enough about old cars - is this the Harrington Imp? I know the Mini in the background is Roger Hood's.

David McKinney
04-24-2012, 10:41 AM
From memory, the Harrington Imp was yellow, and carried No.69

Is this a re-creation?

bob homewood
04-24-2012, 11:03 AM
No that would be the original ,complete with the old Dunlop and Goodyear Trucks in the background,Is that Roger standing behind the Imp with the cap and sunglasses on,the chap and the lady talking to him ,I remember as well but I can't put a name to them at the moment

Steve Holmes
04-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Allan, these are beautiful! Your folks must have been standing next to Mike Feisst when some of these were taken, as he has photos from the same events. I love old slides, they have a really nice clarity about them. I hope you'll start a dedicated thread in the General Discussion forum for these when you're ready?

Habu
04-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi David, no as Bob has said, it is an original photo. My father worked for Roy for a (short?) period of time. Sorry to sound like a bit of an idiot, but all of the slides (only 50 or so unfotunately) dont have anything written on them - so the Harrington car was a bit of a guess. I'll be honest Steve, I feel a bit uneasy posting the photos especially, as I dont really know what they are - and I feel like a bit of an imposter compared to the people who comment on this site.

bob homewood
04-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Hey I don't want to interfere ,but post them and I will try to ID them for you,I was pretty close to a lot of those folks in that era,better that, than they end up never being seen,probably if so get Steve to put them in a new dedicated thread

Habu
04-27-2012, 03:30 AM
Hi Bob, thank you for your offer. Ive put the single seater stuff I have in the general forum under "Some old photos from the late 1960's Pukekohe" or words to that effect. I have some saloon car ones too, and they are mostly from Puke, and from possibly the same meeting 1968/69, but I dont know who, what, where etc. I also have a couple from Baypark - but its much the same, but would love for you to comment.

AMCO72
04-27-2012, 04:45 AM
Bob, isn't that you standing behind the Harrington Imp, in the days when we all had more hair?????

bob homewood
05-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Gerald ,no not enough hair for me in those days I was a "rock star "