PDA

View Full Version : From Chris Read, Queenstown, NZ.

Chris Read
03-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Now I know where all you guys hide I will join in. Its Chris Read from Queenstown NZ and an oldie but a newby to this site. Have raced since I was 16 and still going 50 yrs later. All sorts of things such as club, NZ Saloons, B and H, OSCA, National Rally, Gold Star Hillclimb, Pacific and Historic. Love the history and have collected it all including a few cars as well.
My cars in the past include the Palmer Lotus 20B, Begg FM3, Redman/Oxton Chevron B29, a few Ferraris and now BCM's x 2, ex Ronnie/Les Moore Kieft's x 2, Delage x 1, and a few bits and pieces such as 3 Rovers.
Am semi retired since Xmas so hope to join in whenever I can.

David McKinney
03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Welcome Chris - nice to see you here

(Maybe the bias towards saloons on this forum can be reversed:cool:

Carlo
03-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Welcome Chris - nice to see you here

(Maybe the bias towards saloons on this forum can be reversed:cool:

Nice to quickly catch up with you again at Tereatonga the other day Chris. David, FYI he also drove a bloody quick Datsun 1200

David McKinney
03-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes, I know that - but look at the number of "proper" cars/series he lists:cool:

Steve Holmes
03-19-2012, 04:36 AM
Chris, welcome to The Roaring Season! Brilliant to have you here. Just out of interest, is BCM Special the cars Brian Mabey built? I used to work for Gary Mabey, Brians brother, as a sales rep in the '90s.

What happened to the Redman/Oxton Chevron B29? Where is it now?

Chris Read
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Yes, the BCM's are certainly the Mabey cars and brother is Gary. Only recently after all these years did I get in touch as the family was deeply upset about Brian's accident and death at Tahunanui in 1960. His daughter and grand daughters were very pleased to see the car which I took to Wellington. Brian's wife who lives close by did not want to relive the tragedy which I respected. All the same the car is an important part of NZ motor racing history that should not be denied the family.
Gary who is younger was living in Australia with ties in Auckland until recently and I believe has recently returned to NZ. He remembers the cars well but in his words Brian's death tore the family apart.
The first car was a Vauxhall 14 engined sports car and I have his list of parts that went into it. This early car is a bit of a wreck but all there and in my garage. The second car is the 6 cyl car which I have had and raced for going on 40 years. It is part of the NZ Grand Prix Specials (NZGPS) team and we race as such wherever we can.
Now I have 'joined up' this is a good forum to solve a mystery. Brian had built a twin cam head for the Vauxhall 6 cyl motor which ended up in the front window of Hampton Tyres in Christchurch from where it disappeared. The story goes that it went on to a road going Vauxhall in Wellington. Anyone have any recollection??? The fuel injection system and can grinding gear did not survive after his death.

The Redman Chevron B29 was a great car and I it purchased off Eric Morgan and I owned it for 11 years. It was just as ground effect and F5000 were taking over as the National Formula but I had some fun and hairy moments at Wigram as I tried to keep up. Those airfield PAPI lights that no one was allowed to hit down the back straight nearly had me before the Squadron Leader as I barelled around Bombay far too fast into a spin that lasted half the straight - what a track!
I swapped the car to Kenny for a Roller and he sold it to an accountant in Adelaide. I have pics which I will post once I sort out the system.
So that's the story so far. Chris Read, Queenstown.
The Begg is the one that Judkins had/has in CHC.

Chris Read
03-24-2012, 11:48 AM
BCM
Now that's a crankshaft. Just doing the motor on the 1955 BCM. Has not been out in 26 yrs of racing so thought it best to post a photo for posterity as I don't think I will be around to see it again in another 26 yrs.
It is a PA Vauxhall 6 cyl that has had a lot of detailing. I bet Mr Vauxhall never thought his crankshafts would be going round so fast or look so good.
ps If anyone has a spare PA head or short block you could let me know as I would like to have a spare head and block.
Chris Read, Arrowtown.
hope the photo comes through???

Chris Read
03-24-2012, 12:11 PM
For you tin top enthusiast to show that you can have fun in an open wheeler. My 1955 BCM Special with 6 cyl Vauxhall motor with a Wolseley 6/80 gearbox in the rear mated to a Halibrand quick change diff. Dry sumped, inboard rear brakes, and lots of other things a very clever Brian Mabey of Nelson built into this car in the 1950's. Is one of the 7 NZ GP specials team (NZGPS) that that races throughout NZ. Chris Read, Arrowtown....all I need to do now is get the photos the right way up.

Chris Read
03-24-2012, 12:19 PM
ah ha...am practicing - sorry about using up the band width.CR

Jac Mac
03-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Chris, when Stewart Quertier & I visited Brians dad ~1970 he showed us a casting pattern for the center section of a quick change diff setup that I always assumed was the type fitted to your BCM, but you mention Halibrand...just curious & like Gerald( AMCO), perhaps my memory is fading.

Chris Read
03-25-2012, 10:49 AM
No no brain fade...should have said Halibrand type. Brian made the casting as he could not afford a real one. Still the same one in the car but he must have had a good look at a real one because the centres are 2 1/4 inch as is Halibrand and the Halibrand gears fit exactly. I still use Brian's original ones which are a mixture of helical and straight cut with a spline welded in the centre. I also use the lovely new ones which fit perfectly.The diff is Model B4 and makes a lot of noise. The photo shows the casting you would have seen and also what it looks as I use it6915 geared up but apart in the photo. You can change the ratios in 5 minutes. Chris Read.